Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2015 Ford Mustang 5.0-Liter V8 Boasts 435 Horsepower | Edmunds.com

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited July 2014 in Ford
image2015 Ford Mustang 5.0-Liter V8 Boasts 435 Horsepower | Edmunds.com

The 2015 Ford Mustang 5.0-liter V8 is officially rated at 435 horsepower and 400 pound-feet of torque.

Read the full story here

Comments

• _driver72_driver72 Member Posts: 6

Sooo Ford takes the time and money to drop 700 lbs from their F-150 TRUCK, but when redesigning their sole flagship performance car line after 10 years, what do they do? Make them HEAVIER!!! Really Ford?
    As a Ford fan, and owner of 4 Mustang's over the past 3 decades, you couldn't figure out a way to make the new 2015 Mustang LIGHTER than the outgoing model? Or at least equal weight. Effectively the 15 hp bump in the 2015 GT, is really about 6-7 hp gain as the other 8-9 hp is eaten up by the 87 lbs weight gain. I'm pretty sure there would be an area they could of used some more aluminum or hydroformed steel so the 2015 could of weighed a bit less than the 2014 model. A shame.

• bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021

You need to add 2 of these to your LT fleet the minute they become available, a Coyote powered and an EcoBoost.

• bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021

Driver: the F150 sells in huge numbers and at a huge profit, Ford could afford to incurr the expense of adding all the aluminum to it. The Mustang sells in far more modest numbers and at a lesser margin. With the expense of finally adding IRS to all trim levels I don't know that Ford could spend the extra $$ and risk the necessary price increase to cover both the new suspension AND lots of aluminum.

But I do agree that with the next freshening Ford needs to put the Mustang on a diet and lose a couple hundred pounds at least.

bankerdanny, I wasn't expecting them to put a ton of aluminum in the car to drop a couple hundred pounds like the F150
    I do know and understand the money Ford makes off of the trucks, but Ford is not poor by any means.
    Since the Mustang really didn't get any bigger...thank goodness, the constant desire of auto makers to keep making their models bigger annoys me, just get a different larger model instead...I didn't see why the new Mustang needed to GAIN weight.
    87 pounds isn't much true, but I'd of been FAR happier if they would of had the car DROP 87 lbs, or at least added enough aluminum to certain chassis parts (or say the roof) to make sure the car didn't gain ANY weight from the 2014 model.
    Sure the Mustang doesn't make the kind of money the F150 does for Ford, but it's still Ford's most iconic vehicle and their sole performance vehicle, so a bit of time and money into making sure the weight didn't increase would of been a nice touch.

• agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893

Like driver72, I find the steadily increasing size and lard in cars infuriating. You know it's got bad when the manufacturers introduce new small cars because their last "small" car got so darned big. BMW brought out the 2-series which is almost identical to my E30 3-series I used to own. The current F30 3-series is almost the same size as the E34 and E39 5-series. Ridiculous.

• csubowtiecsubowtie Member Posts: 143

You guys seem to be forgetting that the 2015 Mustang finally adopted Independent Rear Suspension, vs. the 2014's solid axle. IRS, while hopefully making significant improvements in ride and handling, also adds complexitiy and weight. So while the car may have lost weight elsewhere, this is probably a big cause of the overall increase. Of course, if they hadn't updated the suspension, everyone would have bitched about how they are still using the "archaic" solid axle. BTW, how many other 400+ hp cars, that can realistically seat 4, and cost less than $40k, weigh less than 3700lbs?

• csubowtiecsubowtie Member Posts: 143

P.S. Ford also has the Focus ST, the Fiesta ST, and the Raptor. Calling the Mustang Ford's "sole performance vehicle" is a little narrow sighted.

• allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    edited July 2014

The Mustang currently is the light weight pony car so weight loss was probably not their focus. And I'm sure the small weight gain came from more high strength steel for crash protection. Most of the R&D dollars went into the IRS. The 4 cylinder Ecoboost gives it near perfect 50/50 weight distribution. The next gen Camaro is supposed to have the 2.0 Turbo as the base engine and rumor has it the Twin Turbo V6 will be the SS engine.. In the CTS V-Sport it makes 420 HP and 430 lb/ft of torque which is the same HP and more torque than the current V8.. If the Camaro loses weight the wide flat torque curve provided by the turbos will make it quicker than the 5.0 GT. If Chevy pairs it with their new 8-speed transmission and their magic Magnetic Ride shocks this will be a formidable pony car.

csubowtie, the mustang is Ford's sole performance vehicle line.
    The others you listed are economy cars made into "performance" cars like youd do in the aftermarket.
    The Mustang is the sole vehicle in Ford's line up that's made for performance driving.
    Chevy has the camaro and corvette for example

• dannie777dannie777 Member Posts: 1

VERY disappointed, as i had heard the rumor of a 200 lb weight loss...instead of this gain

• theapextheapex Member Posts: 1

Sell a 5.0 model stripped of all the mumbo jumbo, with the live axle, manual everything and get the weight down along with the price. Sell 'em like hotcakes.

• superscoutsuperscout Member Posts: 1
    Not a ford man , but this is a nice car it keeps the Mustang heritage. I do like the Mustang from 1965-70 fastback models. This is a solid car would it be nice if lighter maybe a little but still good muscle car. What I would like to see is better transmissions better exhaust and air induction systems thatcan come from factory just in those two areas alone you can gain 15-25 more horsepower and a little better economy