Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• tribedoctribedoc Member Posts: 2

Hi all,

Great thread. A lot of good info.

I've sent out 17 emails in MD/VA for an EX-L AWD w/ no options.

Right now, the best offer I have $27500 OTD in MD ($830 Dest Charge - breakdown hasn't been provided). It seems a bit too high still. Should I pull the trigger?

Thanks!

• brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    edited July 2014

You cant buy a product without knowing exact pricing. Call dealer and get the numbers. Not only does your quote not help you it does not help us figure out what kind of deal your getting. Read thru this board for advice and tips on how to buy. You will also find deals and pricing from dealers in your area here . MD and VA dealerships have really good pricing. Here is a example of your post. Do you think you could help me .

I paid 61k OTD for my BMW. See what I'm talking about. No details on my deal. I'm letting you guess on what the key buying numbers were. OTD numbers are useless unless asked for by another member in your state that may be paying the same tax rate as you. I'm in NY so my tax rate is 8.875% . this would make my OTD number different then you.

The two most important numbers to post are

Agreed selling price? Was the destination charge include in that price.

Doc, or admin fee?

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• rlaprlap Member Posts: 16

@regerx said:
    Resist the ploy of "tell me what we have to do today...." as long as you can and then give them an ultimatium. I told the dealer $26,500, they counted with $26,800 and we all felt okay at the end.

What do you mean by resist the ploy of tell me what we have to do today??
    I dont get that part.

• regerxregerx Member Posts: 23

The ploy is this, each person you meet will say "tell me what we/I have to do today to put you in the car...." It is a salesman's ploy that they learned in sales training. Go to different sales reps within the same brand and you will hear the same canned phrases over and over straight from the sales school manual. They are trying to create the illusion that they are on your side and if you will only tell me this I can go to my manager and make this deal work for you. When he comes back it is not "we cannot do this" it is "my manager will not let me do this", now the salesman is trying to again portray him as being on your side of the transaction. Then the manager comes over and says "...what can we do to...." and so it goes in a process to both wear you down and to help you to identify with the salesman who is your friend...I am NOT saying that car buying has to be adversarial, and my experience was quite good once I found a salesman who was able to work with me. Yes I finally did give him my price and he mad a reasonable counter that I took (after shopping the price around), but I did not do it on the first day when I first heard "...tell me what I have to do today...."

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

@regerx, nice post!

• mur007mur007 Member Posts: 2

Thanks for all and lots of information on this forum. I signed for White Diamond Pearl, EX-L AWD for $26746(including desit.) and $29017 OTD with MN tax and license from Luther Brookdale Honda. I contacted many dealers in MN and WI and no one come close to this price. I know this sounds bit pricer when compared with MD and MA prices, but MN market is very tight.

• lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788

Talking about the buying experiences..... I and my wife went for a test drive for the first time for the EX-L AWD with Nav at Weymouth Honda (Weymouth, MA) yesterday. Overall, it is a very nice SUV and plenty of power. My impression for the layout of the instrument cluster is a little confused.

It is new to me that the sale person allowed us to drive the car without sitting with us. Last time I did that was a Lexus and Land Rover. It is good for some people that you don't have to follow the turn-by-turn directions from the sale person. But for some, they might need some explanation or introduction of the car. Just wondering what you like or don't like about your buying experience.

If I'm really interested in a car, I really like being offered the opportunity to take it home overnight. A Honda dealer was the last one to offer that.

We shopped about 8 new cars a couple of months ago, and a saleperson rode along every time. And that was good too - we were shopping 4 hours away from home and my sense of direction in a car is awful. So it was nice being able to focus on the car while letting someone else navigate.

@mur007 said:
    Thanks for all and lots of information on this forum. I signed for White Diamond Pearl, EX-L AWD for $26746(including desit.) and $29017 OTD with MN tax and license from Luther Brookdale Honda. I contacted many dealers in MN and WI and no one come close to this price. I know this sounds bit pricer when compared with MD and MA prices, but MN market is very tight.

Not really, the price is good in that you had them roll the destination into that instead of adding it on. I got mine for 26800 OTD (+TTL for MD) so I would say it was comparable depending if you were able to get some items like the cargo tray, splash guards, and wheel locks thrown in (they should be included anyway as at the manufacturer level the actual per unit cost of these items is nil).

• mur007mur007 Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2014

I asked the sales man to through some accessories. But said he was not able to, because of the lowest price. Of course no other dealer around MN is offering free accessories.

edited August 2014

Having problem responding, will re-try but forum is giving me problems

edited August 2014

@mur007 said:
    I asked the sales man to through some accessories. But said he was not able to, because of the lowest price. Of course no other dealer around MN is offering free accessories.

Okay, I was lucky as the first dealer had already included these in their price so I was able to work the package down. It is a riot though how much they charge for this stuff. You MIGHT if you were able to, string this out to the end of the month when they feel pressure again and use it as a negotiating point when they ask "what can I do to .....". Still if the price for an AWD E X-L in Mn is fair, then take it.

• tribedoctribedoc Member Posts: 2

Thanks for your assistance @regerx‌ and @brian125. I didn't quite understand all of the terminologies until going through the month end madness. I did not end up buying the EX-L as I I planned but it's all for the better... EX total price is more in my budget.

Anyway, I am now starting to talk to a few dealerships about EX prices and am finding that their Tag and License fees are way off. Shouldn't they be exactly the same for everyone in MD (I live in Rockville)? If so, what are the fees that they should be including?

Thanks!

Taxes they do not control. Tag and Registration fees are bit negotiable although they will try and hold firm (you can find out online what the indivdiual state charges and go from there). The negotiating tactic to say is..."we have agreed on a price, we are at the end and you want to blow up the deal as I only want to pay $50 over the state fees????" That should get a response, afteral they are going to the state to do multiple licenses and titles at a time.

edited August 2014

Tax and Registration fee's

These fee's range from 50 dollars to as high as 200 dollars for some out of state buyers. Most dealers wont budge on these fee's especially with a 75 to 125 fee.

Dealers put money in there pockets on these last minute charges and items.

tags and tittle

financing thru them

doc fee/ admin charges.

Added accessories you did not want on that vehicle

Anything sold in that back office including vehicle Warranty. Say NO, No, NO, to everything in that back office and you will be fine.

• crvexlcacrvexlca Member Posts: 1

Hi,
    I am in market for Honda CR-V EX-L AWD. I have emailed few dealers in San Fransisco Bay area (East Bay). The lowest quote I received was OTD price of $28750 (invoice ~ $26100.00). This price was without any options...

Is it a good price for Northern California?

@brian125 said:
    Tax and Registration fee's

These fee's range from 50 dollars to as high as 200 dollars for some out of state buyers. Most dealers wont budge on these fee's especially with a 75 to 125 fee.

Dealers put money in there pockets on these last minute charges and items.

tags and tittle

financing thru them

doc fee/ admin charges.

Added accessories you did not want on that vehicle

Anything sold in that back office including vehicle Warranty. Say NO, No, NO, to everything in that back office and you will be fine.

Exactly they make a big to-do about these, but when you go to anything associated with the DMV if you look around there is usually a clerk dedicated to auto deales, and they come up to the aisle not with one title/registration but with 10 or more. Their song and dance about what it costs them above the state/county fees is a lie and pure profit. Find out what the fees are from the county/DMV and see if they are reasonably marked up or REALLY marked up. Dealers hate when you have information....it so much easier to deal if you are the only one with information.

• ecoticoecotico Member Posts: 2

Hi everyone,

What did you pay in Chicago IL for a 2014 Honda CR-V LX AWD

I'm getting really close bids. Are they any good? What should be my goal?

Castle Honda is close to the same quote.

FLETCHER JONES HONDA

SALE PRICE
    $21,887.00
    Accessories

Destination
    $790.00
    DOCUMENTATION FEE
    $166.27
    TITLE AND REGISTRATION
    $212.00
    TRADE
    $0.00
    TAXABLE TOTAL
    $23,055.27
    TAX RATE
    9.50%
    $2,190.25
    COOK COUNTY FLAT TAX
    $0.00

• ecoticoecotico Member Posts: 2

@ecotico said:
    Hi everyone,

What did you pay in Chicago IL for a 2014 Honda CR-V LX AWD

I'm getting really close bids. Are they any good? What should be my goal?

SALE PRICE
    $21,887.00
    Accessories

Destination
    $790.00
    DOCUMENTATION FEE
    $166.27
    TITLE AND REGISTRATION
    $212.00
    TRADE
    $0.00
    TAXABLE TOTAL
    $23,055.27
    TAX RATE
    9.50%
    $2,190.25
    COOK COUNTY FLAT TAX
    $0.00be

They were left in the dust by Kenosha! $1300 below their price.

Good shopping - congrats!

When a dealer stated that $369 dealer document fee (this applies to everyone), how are my chances of reducing it to a fair amount? Seriously, I don't know what is a fair amount ($200-$250?) but dealers get plates/registration at the DMV everyday and filling out paperwork for the banks or internal offices all the time. Or perhaps get the mudguards or crossbars at no charge, on the top of the agreed car price?

edited August 2014

The dealer will tell you that they'll get sued for discrimination if they charge you a different doc fee than someone else. Have not idea if that's true or just a way to try to force a big fee on you.

The only way I know of to get around it is to have the dealer reduce the price of the car by a corresponding amount. If they won't, walk.

All this DVM stuff is automated - even $50 is too much if you ask me.

edited August 2014

Re-adjust your asking price to buy to counter high doc fee charges. most dealers wont remove Doc fee charges. In a lot of states they are regulated or capped to a certain price by there state law. In NY no dealerships can charge more than 75 dollars. In FL. doc's or admin fee's can run as high as 900 dollars by law. Most are 699 or around this number. NJ doc's range from 199 to 499.

I have had dealers not charge , or reduce there doc fee's for me.. Getting it reduced or off that bill is hard. Especially if you just received a good price on the new vehicle..... dealers wont budge

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289

@stever
    All this DVM stuff is automated - even $50 is too much if you ask me.

Funny this should come up. I just finished up (10 minutes ago) renewing my vehicle registration. Here in Texas, you can do it online with a credit card.

@brian125
    I have had dealers not charge , or reduce there doc fee's for me.. Getting it reduced or off that bill is hard. Especially if you just received a good price on the new vehicle..... dealers wont budge

If the dealer won't budge, then I do. Walk right out that door.

You, the buyer, do have options. It's important that the dealer remember that.

2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica

@lok888 said:
    When a dealer stated that $369 dealer document fee (this applies to everyone), how are my chances of reducing it to a fair amount? Seriously, I don't know what is a fair amount ($200-$250?) but dealers get plates/registration at the DMV everyday and filling out paperwork for the banks or internal offices all the time. Or perhaps get the mudguards or crossbars at no charge, on the top of the agreed car price?

As I cited in my posts about my experience at the end when I gave them my bottom line price I told them to take the fees out of the price. My price was $26,800 and they could roll the Doc and the Destination fees into that number but I was not paying any more than $26,800...they did, because they know it is all profit anyway. The $1130 they wanted to charge for docs and destination is their big profit center. If you can hold to the end of the month when they get a bit more willing to come to terms when their bonus is on the line.

regerx

You are correct about dealer fee's. The Destination charge fee of 830 is a charge all buyers must pay. Its not negotiable or removable off the bill off sale. . There is no getting around this charge.

• van2014van2014 Member Posts: 1

Hi I'm in the market for a new 2014 CRV EX AWD and plan on purchasing it within a week. I'm located in the chicago area and have been quoted $27800 OTD at one dealer. I was wondering what price should I be shooting for? The TTL fees would be around $2,725 to $2,950 according to carmax making the car around $25000. Thanks

van2014

1500 to 2k below invoice should be your target price to buy in Chicagoland.. Good luck

• mdunne70mdunne70 Member Posts: 23

I spoke with 2 different dealers today in the Westchester NY area about an EX-L AWD CR-V (no NAV or DVD) - INVOICE $28,000.00. I proposed the price of $26,664.00. Both dealers said no way! The second dealer offered $27,150.00 - no options included. The salesman said they would request that the options - body molding, all weather mats, cargo tray, and mud guards - be given at dealer cost. He also said that it would be cheaper to get the all weather mats and cargo tray cheaper on the internet. I thought this was odd. The first dealer offered - nothing firm - that the $27,500.00 range would be realistic with the options included (same as above). I did feel the cars salesman game going on in both dealers, but much more in the first dealer. I left both dealers without a purchase.

Is there any more room for negotiations in the dealers prices? The $27,150.00 price I received via email from the internet sales person. I figured there would be more room for negotiation since this was the first price given to me via email.

Any advice would be helpful. I am able to wait things out if necessary.

Try these dealers Internet Mgr. / dept.

New Rochelle. Yonkers, and Friendly Honda. Keep your original target price to buy. these 2 dealers are only 486 plus off your price to buy. . In your calls, or emails tell each dealership options on vehicle you want at invoice cost and you buy Today.. Then let this month play out. Dealer is hoping you blink first. Play the game. Get more dealerships involved in the price wars.

Great. THANK YOU! the two dealers I visited are 1) Mount Kisco and 2) Brewster

• atla4atla4 Member Posts: 3

Hi, I've read through all previous posts and was hoping for some advice. I'm interested in purchasing a CRV LX 2WD in Southern California (Orange County). I was wondering how much below invoice I can expect to buy this car for. I saw the range was $500-$1500, but was wondering if there was any insight for my location specifically. Also, any thoughts on which dealerships in this area are willing to negotiate reasonably?

I also saw a few previous posts that said the factory to dealer invoice price is $21,553 according to sites like edmunds and nada. However, I just checked these sites and it looks like the invoice price is currently listed as $21,717. Does this price change regularly?

Thank you!

edited August 2014

$21,718 is what I'm seeing today.

Manufacturers do increase dealer invoice costs on a regular basis and most sites are pretty good at updating their info. We must have updated ours a buck in the last half hour LOL.

@mdunne70 said:
    I spoke with 2 different dealers today in the Westchester NY area about an EX-L AWD CR-V (no NAV or DVD) - INVOICE $28,000.00. I proposed the price of $26,664.00. Both dealers said no way! The second dealer offered $27,150.00 - no options included. The salesman said they would request that the options - body molding, all weather mats, cargo tray, and mud guards - be given at dealer cost. He also said that it would be cheaper to get the all weather mats and cargo tray cheaper on the internet. I thought this was odd. The first dealer offered - nothing firm - that the $27,500.00 range would be realistic with the options included (same as above). I did feel the cars salesman game going on in both dealers, but much more in the first dealer. I left both dealers without a purchase.

Is there any more room for negotiations in the dealers prices? The $27,150.00 price I received via email from the internet sales person. I figured there would be more room for negotiation since this was the first price given to me via email.

Any advice would be helpful. I am able to wait things out if necessary.

Wait them out until about a week before the end of the month. The Honda supplied mats and cargo tray are quite cheap (quality wise) you can do much better in the aftermarket but $$$, they can throw them in but IF they can make you pay then it is all profit for them. I would wait, keep talking to other dealers and let them know you are talking to other dealers, including out-of-state dealers (whether you are or aren't) as you can buy a car anywhere it is a commodity anyway no matter what they try and make it seem like. I do not know NY prices but you can see from my posts that I got the same car WITH options for $26,800 in MD. Also you need to account for the DEALER PREP/DOCUMENT FEES and Destination Charge. All of those were rolled into my 26.8K price so they have room to deal...The rep I used in MD has given referrals that I have sent him the same deal. For the drive down (I know it is a drive) it might be worth your while but YMMV on that.

regrex - do you mind listing the options that you got with your EX L AWD? Are you the one that got the protection package, cargo tray, wheel locks....? I saw your posting on July 26th.

The cars invoice is approx $27,334.00 +$830.00 destination = $28,164.00. I subtracted $1500.00 from that to get to my $26,664.00.

I took Brain125's advice and started contacting several other dealers. I used the email format that he provided a bit back. Even though I stated the price to get me in the door and sign today was $26,664.00, they are still quoting me $27,315.00 or something. Others are telling me to come on down and they will take me more seriously. I tell them over the phone to give me the price of $26,664.00 with accessories at cost and I will come in now.

I am going to wait and see what happens. THANK YOU!

• sandy130sandy130 Member Posts: 7
    edited August 2014
    Thanks a ton to Brian and all other contributors to this forum, I got my CRV EX-L 2WD w/o navigation for 25,550 + sales tax from Scott Clarke honda. Did not pay for accessories (wheel locks, splash guard, tint, pinnstripe).

Congrats!

Sandy way to go.. Enjoy your new CRV.

mdunne70 - My best quote for the EX-L AWD (with no Nav or RES) without accessories is $26,334 at Boch Honda in Norwood, MA. I would be interested in the cargo tray. I have been told that the OEM all-weather mats serve little in snow regions. I would get the ones from WeatherTech.

lok888 - Thanks. I was looking at the weathertech mats and they do look MUCH better. Now I just need to get a CRV :smile:

I had one dealer reply from my email solicitations - No Thank You. No counter offer.

• irishtririshtr Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2014

Here was the recent breakdown I was given for my selected 2014 CR-V EX-L 2WD, Thoughts? After seeing a mention of weathertech mats I may go with those instead but general idea below of what we want configuration wise.

One Simple Price $25,893
    Splash guard set $165
    chrome exhaust finisher $71
    trailer hitch $796
    All season floor mats $143
    cargo net $61
    cargo tray $124
    rear seat covers $269
    auto dimming mirror $476
    back up sensors $887
    remote start system $654

Accessories $3,646
    Total Price Including Accessories $29,539
    Appraised Value $0
    Difference $29,539
    State Sales Tax $1,846
    Inventory Tax $65
    License, Title, etc $126
    Balance On Trade $0
    Doc Fee $125
    Drive out Price $31,701

edited August 2014

irishtr, I posted this in the Accord forum hope it helps you.

Edmunds , kbb.com, Nada, Cars .com, Consumer reports do list pricing on vehicle options. On Honda accessories they are not listed. On Kelly's { KBB site } they will apply the full msrp price on accessories if you build vehicle. kbb makes no mention of dealers invoice prices on each item..

I use sites @cheap Honda accessories. , @Collegehillshonda to get a price which may not be Honda's real invoice price but close enough to make dealers match or beat..

Do I think Honda dealers are really paying 67 dollars for a pair of plastic splash guards, 90 for a cargo mat or wheel locks for 36 dollars..... Hell no but its a lot better price than the dealers 120 or 140 for splash guards installed. 68 dollars for wheel locks, and 120 for a cargo mat.

I would not be surprised if prices your finding online dealers are paying 1/2 of those prices as the real invoice ...... Bear that in mind when your making counter offers to dealerships on price accessories.

• j80j80 Member Posts: 1

Hi, newbie here. Wanted to check in with you guys to see what you think of the deal I was quoted. I live in Orange County (California) and received the following quote for a Honda CR-V EX trim (no additional options/accessories).

• Price including destination fee is $23,288.
    • Documentation fee which is $80
    • CA Tire fee which is $8.75
    • Registration fee which is about 1.5%,
    • Tax which depending on your county could be either 8 or 9%.

How does that sound?

edited August 2014

j80,

1428 below invoice price assuming fwd model. there is more room for negotiating here. Otherwise enjoy your new CRV

• samp9samp9 Member Posts: 5
    Hi all, first time new car buyer. Need advise please. Planning to buy 2014 crv exl awd w/o navigation.I live in Columbus, Oh. Took quote from atleast 6 dealers. Best quote I have is 25900 selling price plus tax -7% title - $34 and documentation fee -249$ in ohio. OTD price is 28000$. Dealer is adding splash guards, nitrogen tyres and digi shield on the hood. This dealer is around 40 miles from my place. Local dealers are not to ready to match this price. Am thinking it is a good deal around 1300 below invoice price.. please advise. This forum is so helpful.. Thanks Brain for all the support and suggestions. .

It sounds like you've done your homework getting all the quotes.

I'm coming up with an invoice of $28,164 ( including destination of $830). Unless I'm missing something, you're $2,000+ under invoice.

When you say the dealer is adding the accessories, I'm assuming those are freebies (although splash guards would be nice).

Steve, not sure what's the invoice price exactly for the EX-L w/o navigation. See different figures in different sites. Yes, freebies. If it is 2000 below the dealer price, Can I close the deal? Or is there any room left for negotiations. . Thanks. .

I'd be real happy with your deal - enjoy the new ride!

(A minor quibble - invoice isn't dealer cost. The dealer is still making money, otherwise you wouldn't be getting such a deal).

Thanks Stever. I will close the deal ASAP and will ask dealer to add all weather floor mats..

@mdunne70 said:
    regrex - do you mind listing the options that you got with your EX L AWD? Are you the one that got the protection package, cargo tray, wheel locks....? I saw your posting on July 26th.

The cars invoice is approx $27,334.00 +$830.00 destination = $28,164.00. I subtracted $1500.00 from that to get to my $26,664.00.

I took Brain125's advice and started contacting several other dealers. I used the email format that he provided a bit back. Even though I stated the price to get me in the door and sign today was $26,664.00, they are still quoting me $27,315.00 or something. Others are telling me to come on down and they will take me more seriously. I tell them over the phone to give me the price of $26,664.00 with accessories at cost and I will come in now.

I am going to wait and see what happens. THANK YOU!

Sorry for the delay, was out of town....Total price excluding tax and title was $26,800
    This price INCLUDED
    Dealer Prep Fee $300
    Destination Charge $830

These Dealer Added Options were also INCLUDED in the $26,800 price
    Dealer "protection package" $995 (list price)
    Nitrogen Tires ( a bullXXXX option)
    Splash Guards
    Cargo Tray
    Pin Striping
    Wheel Locks

They tried to sell me the cargo net for $50 (and $55 to install it!), but I kept the old one from my Tucson, added 4 snap-lock mini-carabiners and it works just fine.

This discussion has been closed.