Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mystery car pix

Comments

• andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,370

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,466

@stevedebi said:
    But maybe they were on to something with this car? On second thought, no. They just had dumb designers...

But somehow the Hudson version is even homier than the Nash; something to do with the color scheme. In addition, it looks like this one is the lower trim line (the Super line, I think) which was pretty bad in the Nash configuration too.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

• berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    edited August 2014

Bhill, the 59 v 60 GM question: IIRC the 60's mostly sold better. However, I mostly preferred the 59's. I'll go Buick for 60 and maybe call Olds sort of a tie. I'm pretty sure I'm a minority on this though! Personally, I'm not a big fan of 1960 in general. Didn't particularly care for most Fomoco or Mopar that year either. However, I did like the new for 60 compacts Falcon, Corvair and Valiant.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

Not quite what it seems:

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435

I was going to guess a Fitch, but saw your "hint" on the picture at the bottom. Never heard of it.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

The Crown Corvair was similar in concept to the Kelmark--any ideas? It is a real Corvair but not made this particular way from the factory.

• bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,466

@berri said:
    Bhill, the 59 v 60 GM question: IIRC the 60's mostly sold better. However, I mostly preferred the 59's. I'll go Buick for 60 and maybe call Olds sort of a tie. I'm pretty sure I'm a minority on this though! Personally, I'm not a big fan of 1960 in general. Didn't particularly care for most Fomoco or Mopar that year either. However, I did like the new for 60 compacts Falcon, Corvair and Valiant.

I prefer the '60 Olds because the headlight treatment of the '59s (spread out headlamps with the parking light between them) just looked weird to me. Wrt the Buick, the '59s were more out there, but in a perverse way I liked them.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

• tmarttmart Member Posts: 2,233
    edited August 2014

@Mr_Shiftright said:
    The Crown Corvair was similar in concept to the Kelmark--any ideas? It is a real Corvair but not made this particular way from the factory.

Probably came with windshield wipers and different wheels from the factory.

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

Dash:

Haha....most definitely used to have windshield wipers...

What's different is what's in the back seat:

@tmart said:
    Probably came with windshield wipers and different wheels from the factory.

• tmarttmart Member Posts: 2,233

@stever said:
    Dash:

>

Looks like a Jeep Cherokee.

Or a jeep wrangler

Wrt the Buick, the '59s were more out there, but in a perverse way I liked them.

When I was a little kid I had an uncle who's company car was a 59 LeSabre coupe. That thing was massive, but quite the smooth road car. He didn't have any real trouble with it either.

@tmart, it's a 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited with a "heritage" nod to the Wrangler heirs.

• omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702

Bit hard to see under the hood but there are 2 identical hardworking Detroit V-8 engines taking care of business here. Can you identify them? Extra points awarded if you can name the implement in which they are mounted.

A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.

Here's another mystery car in a one-off discussion where the poster would like an id. TIA.

• grahampetersgrahampeters Member Posts: 1,786

@stever said:
    Here's another mystery car in a one-off discussion where the poster would like an id. TIA.

G'day

I had a look and think it is a 90's Lotus Esprit. Someone should be able to provide a better idea of the actual model

Cheers

Graham

Thanks!

According to Hill AFB the mystery motors are "two Buick Wildcat V-8 racing engines, each of 425 cubic inch displacement." Together the engines produced over 600 horsepower running on avgas. All this nailhead power was used in the AG-330 Start Carts for starting the two Pratt & Whitney J58 engines of the Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132

Wow! That's interesting.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

@omarman said:
    According to Hill AFB the mystery motors are "two Buick Wildcat V-8 racing engines, each of 425 cubic inch displacement." Together the engines produced over 600 horsepower running on avgas. All this nailhead power was used in the AG-330 Start Carts for starting the two Pratt & Whitney J58 engines of the Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird.

G'day

Well that solves it. I had spent some hours trying to think of an industrial application which would need high acceleration and ultimate speed, rather than the torque of a diesel which would be more common in industrial applications. I seem to recall that the SR 71 also needed special fuel which resulted in Shell using a whole year's materials normally allocated to Flick fly spray. There is also something about an igniter fuel which explodes in contact with air.

Very interesting

Cheers

Graham

I seem to recall that the SR 71 also needed special fuel which resulted in Shell using a whole year's materials normally allocated to >Flick fly spray. There is also something about an igniter fuel which explodes in contact with air.

>

TEB was used to ignite the high flash point JP7 fuel while the turbojet engine was spooling up at 3,200 RPMs with the aid of the roaring V-8 engines of the start cart. What a sound that must have made! waaahh! swoosh! ka-PHOOM! And all that with 1950s tech.

Okay, time to play Mystery Car Part.

As usual, thanks for helping a new poster with their question.

New>

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,118

@andys120 said:
    New>

New Hyundai i20 ... similar to our Accent here in NA.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Kind of cute. And looks like it might have decent visibility to the rear. Tired of the the gun slit rear windows with the big angle up at the back.

@stever said:

G'day

Is that the new Volvo XC90? It has been getting a bit of coverage here as the preceding model was pretty popular and had been on sale almost forever -supposedly one of the oldest models on sale in Australia.

Apparently the prior generation chewed through tyres; a fact I know from suddenly receiving repeated demands from a woman who thought I was her ex-husband and should pay for her either to replace the tyres on the Volvo XC90 every nine months or buy her a new Mercedes as a replacement. She proved remarkably hard to convince over the internet! Weird!

Cheers

Graham

edited August 2014

Yep, that's the 2015 Volvo XC90, which Features Thor’s Hammer Running Lights.

It probably won't sell well up here in the UP of the state of Michigan. Finns are everywhere, and the XC90's nods to Sweden could raise some hackles. Although, my MIL's boyfriend considered himself a Swede (or at best, as Swede-Finn, even though his family "had" to live in Finland for a couple of generations).

Yesterday I was scheduling the shut-off of my water for our impending move, and was told that after four years, I was officially a Yooper, and once a Yooper, always a Yooper. Scary thought, although at least I'm not an adopted Finn-Yooper. It's hard enough trying to explain what a Yooper is. :p

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704

Upper Yooper...like?

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805

@stever said:
    Yesterday I was scheduling the shut-off of my water for our impending move, and was told that after four years, I was officially a Yooper, and once a Yooper, always a Yooper.

They must be desperate for locals. Up in Maine, the rule is 3 generations born and raised before they stop calling you "flat lander" that's "from away."

As the saying goes "back East", just because your cat had kittens in the oven don't make them biscuits.

@grahampeters said:

Apparently the prior generation chewed through tyres; a fact I know from suddenly receiving repeated demands from a woman who thought I was her ex-husband and should pay for her either to replace the tyres on the Volvo XC90 every nine months or buy her a new Mercedes as a replacement. She proved remarkably hard to convince over the internet!

Well don't keep us in suspense man! How did you convince her to settle for the rubber instead of a new Benz?

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    edited August 2014

@stever said:
    As the saying goes "back East", just because your cat had kittens in the oven don't make them biscuits.

Now that's a saying I never heard before! And it's got so many variations for interpretations. :)

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

edited August 2014

Some say that's a Southern expression but I first heard it regarding Mainers or Vermonters, in reference to transplanted Massa... er, I'd better not go there. ;) .

• robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805

@stever said:
    Some say that's a Southern expression but I first heard it in reference to Mainers or Vermonters, in reference to transplanted Massa... er, I'd better not go there. ;) .

Hey I'm from Massachusetts and wear the title of Masshole quite proudly.

Ah, so that's how you spell it. :)

@omarman said:

G'day

She was very persistent, to the amusement of Judy (to whom I have been married for 25 years).

Eventually I told her that if she was having problems budgeting for the maintenance of a European, she should trade it and get a Toyota. I found out that the ex husband was a mining executive who had retreated to somewhere in Central New Guinea, probably to escape her. She was really insistent that I should pay for the tyres.

Graham Peters must be a John Doe type name as I keep getting emails for namesakes around the world; invitation to pub night and skittes near Bath UK, cycling near Auckland NZ (where I am today), a shift in a Chik Fil A in Cleveland, USA, rowing drug test in Trent University, Canada and my favourite, Canadian Thanksgiving in a little town near Niagara. The last one was very lovely as I now have an invitation to visit when in the area, having had a lovely conversation with the jolly family involved.
    Currently in New Zealand which has a relationship with Australia, rather like Canada and USA. A lot of the cars are subtly different (trim, lights and so on) . I keep playing the Mystery Car game, trying to figure them out.

Cheers

Graham

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,686

@robr2 said:
    Hey I'm from Massachusetts and wear the title of Masshole quite proudly.

I'm transplanted from Connecticut. Some call us ConeHeadicutans. Some call me...Tim.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

@grahampeters said:
    Eventually I told her that if she was having problems budgeting for the maintenance of a European, she should trade it and get a Toyota. I found out that the ex husband was a mining executive who had retreated to somewhere in Central New Guinea, probably to escape her. She was really insistent that I should pay for the tyres.

The new board needs a button to click for LOL X infinity. You can't make up stuff like that. But the Canadian Thanksgiving invitation you received actually sounds nice.

@omarman said:

G'day

My day job is dealing with insurance claims, mostly for really big disasters (bombings, earthquakes, cyclones, bushfires and the like). The pretty surreal (but true) stories I've heard when interviewing claimants are way stranger than any movie.

However the woman demanding I replace her Volvo tyres was pretty special. We initially thought it was a joke, but she was deadly serious; expecting her ex to buy her a Merc because the Volvo was scrubbing out tyres frequently. Given I get 90k from a set, it had me mystified. Judy started laughing but it got strained a bit by the end of the saga.

On the mistaken identity front, I had another invitation to cycle through Asia on some charity ride. Clearly not for me!

Cheers

Graham

As an avid cyclist, I can assure you that "cycling through Asia" is a code word for "assisted suicide". :)

Stude pickup?

Maybe a Hudson truck?

Bingo! Gold Star for berri. It's a Hudson pickup, I think '46 or 47, not sure. Pretty rare these days.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,118

@andys120 said:

Generation I Taurus SHO ... only available with a stick. 3.0L Yamaha sourced engine with 220HP.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256

I think that SHO is a 1991, not sure if the 'cheese grater' wheel were available before that.

2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert

Yep, that is a ** '91 Ford Taurus SHO** identical to the one I owned; a great engine in search of a good car. :o

Explorer is correct. IIRC, '91 was the first year for that 6-spoke wheel and I think for the Mocha Frost color.