Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    edited August 2014

@lukin4adeal said:
    I'm in the Chicago area and I have a few questions. I've already got my initial quotes from 15 dealers. I'm holding off until the end of the month to really start negotiating. I'm getting pricing from a few of the dealers already at 2K below invoice without trying. Honda on Grand in Elmhurst is quoting me $25,745(EXL vehicle price incl dest)-1500(incentives)=$24,245 + 166 doc +TTL. How much more can I expect them to move at the end of the month? Seems like they are giving it all up now. Also, I read on the Honda website regarding the conquest cash, that you have to finance through Honda at 2.9% for 24 monthly payments. Is there a pre-payment penalty if you refi immediately, or is this a don't care? Also, I'm interested in getting some dealer options, like wheel locks, splash guards, wing spoiler, rear bumper applique. How do I determine the invoice price of dealer options? Thanks in advance!

good question?

Your negotiating skills, along with dealers supply and demand will be factors in getting close to 2500 below.

Any deals at 2k below in the middle of the month are still good at the end. Unless dealer is telling you we need the sales numbers now. Which usually is not the case.

Time is on your side. Make your best deal at months end. By having 15/ 20 dealers involved in the price wars will lead to better pricing. . I'm sure a handful might need end of the month sales quotas and that's when your deal just went from;

Good to YESSSSSSSS.... I'm the man type of deal..

Good luck

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• sweets1180sweets1180 Member Posts: 21

@brian125 said:
    sweets1180;

Thank you so much! Ok, so I'm going to take your advice from a previous post and create a spreadsheet. I will hit the MD dealers asap. Just so I'm clear on the numbers, 2k-2500 below invoice in MD...If invoice on the car I want is $28,000, isn't that what this offer is? The sales price after rebates/discounts is $26,632. (IDK how much Honda cash/clearance rebates, but dealer said $500 for recent grad and $500 loyalty). Also, when you say get as many involved as possible, do I just tell one that the other beat them? Or am I copying sales managers on the same emails?

edited August 2014

Send out the same email to all dealerships. Example ; I am looking to lease a 2014 exl model, color etc... by the end of the month or will buy today if we agree on my price of 2500 below dealers invoice including incentives and destination charge Then put that number on the email. This makes for less confusion between you and dealer with price... . If we could come to a agreement on pricing I'm willing to make the deal today. First dealership to meet my price I will buy/ lease. Tell each dealership do you want the sale today meet my price.. . Stick to your guns on a certain target price. If you Can't get 2500 below then lower your target price to 2200 hundred below invoice or until you feel you made the best possible deal. Let your targeted dealers fight it out with price. unless a dealer agrees to your target price let the email play out for a few days or week. dealers will try to make you blink 1st.

Take your time write out a quick to the point NO- nonsense email to send to all your targeted dealerships. This shows your in control not them. Your key to getting a better deal and leverage is Telling dealers...... IF you meet my price I buy/ lease today.. If dealers tell you they can do 2k below invoice price tell each one you will think over there offer but xxx price gets the deal done today.. Then move on .. play this game for 2 weeks or to you get the number you feel is a good deal.

View lease incentives on Edmunds. write them down so you know what exactly your entitled to before negotiating. Just work on getting 2k to 2500 on your sale price and the lease numbers will do the rest to make the price equation .

edited August 2014

Gotcha! Thanks @brian125! Just one more question...Is the 2k-2500 price before my loyalty and recent grad discount? Do I wait to mention those after they bring the price down?

edited August 2014

Sweet,

If you would like I will IM you later showing you how to get dealers by your home to make a better deal with you using the out of state dealers as your leverage.

@brian125 said:
    Sweet,

If you would like I will IM you later showing you how to get dealers by your home to make a better deal with you using the out of state dealers as your leverage.

Would definitely like!! But like AOL IM? I haven't done that in forever.

@sweets1180 said:
    Gotcha! Thanks brian125! Just one more question...Is the 2k-2500 price before my loyalty and recent grad discount? Do I wait to mention those after they bring the price down?

Just work on your target price.. dealers will apply your incentives into your asking price anyway. When they ask tell them what applies to you. Buying this way will separate you from un--educated to Educated buyer. Dealer will recognize you and deal with you differently. Those above dealerships I posted sell cars.

edited August 2014

If you click on your user Name here on Edmunds you could send out personal IM's to each other................ gotta run

• rpizzutirpizzuti Member Posts: 3

Had a surprising quote from a local dealer here in New England for a 2014 accord lx w/ standard trans. 18700$ including destination. Seemed like a crazy price for zero negotiations. Hell I haven't even went to the dealership yet. The main haggle will be my trade in but does this price seem too good to be true? (The civic quote was low too. 16400$ for an lx w/5 speed)

That's called low ball offer. Luring you into the showroom.

• ken117ken117 Member Posts: 249

Determining a price for a Honda is quite straightfoward. While many of the posts on this forum suggest the process is difficult, the process does not have to be difficult.

One thing to recognize is a person can never determine what a dealer actually paid for a new vehicle. Therefore, a person should not worry about this.

What needs to be done is to develop (1) a price objective, (2) a fair trade value of any trade vehicle, and (3) an monthly payment reflective of (1) and (2) as well as your actual credit score.

To develop a price objective use Edmunds, Kelly Blue Book, and True Car. Identify the invoice price. This is not the cost to the dealer. Reduce the invoice price by (1) dealer holdback which can be found on Edmunds, (2) any manufacturer to dealer incentive also found on Edmunds, and (3) any customer incentive. For example, if the invoice price is $25,000 and the holdback is $500 and there is a dealer incentive of $500 with a customer incentive of $500, your price objective would be $23,500.

To find the trade value go to Edmunds, KBB, and NADA. Use the true condition of your vehicle. Average the three. For example, if the average is $10,000 that is the value you should try to obtain.

Obtain your credit score and identify interest rates. Dealers can often beat any interest rate so it is always a good thing to let them try. Also, manufacturer rates such as .9 percent can be good unless it is in lieu of a large rebate.

To develop a payment, take the price objective reduced by the trade equity (trade value less payoff amount) to arrive at a finance amount. Remember to add real fees such as title, tax and registration.

Recognize those documentation fees are not fees they are simply part of the selling price. Dealers have separated the price into two components which are price and doc fee. Dealers use the word fee to attach some sense of legality to the fee. The fees are not a legal fee and do not have to be paid. That is a fact. Tell the dealer the negotiated price includes the doc fee component of the price. Do not let them add it to the price after the price is negotiated.

Add the real fees to the finance amount to arrive at an out the door price objective. Use one of the many on line car loan calculators to compute a monthly payment objective.

With this information contact as many dealers as you can. You will receive many different responses. Some will not provide a price, some will provide a high price, but a couple will provide a price somewhat close to your objective. Those are the dealers you should work with. Be willing to close at a price a few hundred dollars above your number. What you are working for is to find a dealer who will offer a fair deal which would be a few hundred over your number.

Once you have identified the dealers you feel comfortable with send them your numbers including the value you expect for your trade. Despite what you may read there is no reason not to be upfront about these things. They will ultimately be disclosed in any case so it is best to be upfront. Your objective is to identify dealers who will most likely work to meet your numbers. They do exist.

While it is easy to find a dealer who will meet your price objective, finding one that will meet your trade objective is another story. All dealers will try to low ball the trade value. That is a fact of the deal process. What I do is tell the sales person when I visit, which is needed for the trade, what I expect for the trade. I let them know I will walk if they lowball the trade.

Typically, I have always found a dealer who will come within a few hundred dollars of my trade objective. This may take a couple of visits as some dealers will not move off a big profit on the trade. In this case, just walk away. There is always another dealer.

Once you have negotiated an out the door price and a fair trade value, the real fun begins. You have to visit the box, the F&I office. It is OK to tell them the condition of your credit as they will find out in any case. It is also OK to tell them what interest rate you expect. Then it is likely they will not try to screw you on financing as they realize you are knowledgable.

If you have computed an accurate payment amount based on your numbers you will have some idea of the fairness of the payment number presented in the F&I office. For example, if you computed a monthly payment of $400 and have negotiated close to your numbers you should expect a payment not significantly higher than this $400. If the price negotiated is bit higher or the trade value a bit lower, you would expect a payment price a bit higher than $400. If, for example, the F&I comes back with something like $410 that is what you would expect. If, on the other hand, the F&I guy comes back with $510 you know something is amiss.

Always ask for an explanation of the payment number. And, if you are proficient, bring a computer with a calculator into the F&I office which you cn use to compute a payment. I have found this works wonderfully.

And finally in the F&I box do not buy any product offered by the F&I person. Every product is overpriced and/or of dubious value. The F&I guy has many tricks to convince you to buy. They practice how to sell to any fool who will buy. Do not be that fool. Do not let the F&I person, who is actually the dealership's top sales person, turn your great deal into a bad deal. Once you have left, you will be happy you said NO.

This is the process to use. I have used this process for years and I have always obtained a Honda or Acura at a final price quite close to my numbers. A couple of times at a price lower than my numbers. With a bit of understanding, buying a Honda can be a fun process. It is always fun to watch a sales person operate when they fear the customer has more knowledge than they.

• lukin4adeallukin4adeal Member Posts: 5

Brian,

How do I find out the dealer invoice for dealer options? I saw a poster quoting invoice for spash guards, etc. I googled it but came up empty. I'm trying to factor in the options into my OTD price and don't want the dealer making too much on me for the options. Thanks!

edited August 2014

Edmunds , kbb.com, Nada, Cars .com, Consumer reports do list pricing on vehicle options. On Honda accessories they are not listed.

I use sites @cheap Honda accessories. , @Collegehillshonda to get a price which may not be Honda's real invoice price but close enough to make dealers match.

Do I think Honda dealers are really paying 67 dollars for a pair of plastic splash guards, 90 for a cargo mat or wheel locks for 38 dollars..... Hell no but its a lot better price than the dealers 120 or 140 for splash guards installed. 68 dollars for wheel locks, and 120 for a cargo mat.

Ken,

Very good posting. It will help many who read it and apply what your saying

• rpizzutirpizzuti Member Posts: 3

Great posts in here. I'm sure ill have to negotiate my trade (average trade between the 3 is 15,100$. I owe about that) but as far as the price of the car i dont know how much more i can haggle. 18,700$ seems like a pretty solid price. I guess ill shoot for 20 out the door which is like getting the car for 18,400$. Anything will be better then 411 a month and 15 mpg like i'm getting now lol.

• indian1808indian1808 Member Posts: 5

Finally got my Honda LX last night from a dealer in SO-CA for 21000 OTD and 1.9 APR.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188

Congrats on the new car!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

edited August 2014

On Kbb site it will let you build the Accord with accessorie options only giving the dealers msrp price and No mention of dealers invoice pricing .

• domzilladomzilla Member Posts: 1

@indian1808 said:
    Finally got my Honda LX last night from a dealer in SO-CA for 21000 OTD and 1.9 APR.

Can you break down how you got that price? I am in southern california too and no dealer is going for my 21000 OTD offer. Thanks!

• zoeybeezoeybee Member Posts: 3

I've been in negotiations for the past 3 days for a 2014 Accord LX. Yesterday I was told by one dealer that they would not combine Loyalty and Conquest. (unless I'm missing something I read both and they don't say they can't be combined). Today I was told by another dealer that both those rebates were pulled by Honda today. Has anyone else heard that Honda pulled these incentives? Thank you

Conquest Bonus $ Offer

Requirements and Restrictions: •Competitor Conquest Bonus Cash is available towards leasing or retail purchase to current owner of a 2004 or newer Audi, BMW, Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, Chrysler, Dodge, Fiat, Ford, GMC, Hummer, Hyundai, Infiniti, Jaguar, Jeep, Kia, Rover, Lexus, Lincoln, Mazda, Mercedes-Benz, Mini, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Porsche, Ram, Saab, Scion, Smart, Subaru, Suzuki, Toyota, Volkswagen, or Volvo vehicle. Bonus must be used towards the cap cost reduction. If used towards lease, contracts must be for a minimum of 24 month term and cannot be combined with Zero Due leases. Trade-in is not required and Bonus Cash can be transferred to members residing within the same household. Vehicle must be financed through Honda Financial Services.

Bonus $ Offer

Type

Start

End

$500 Conquest 07/22/2014 09/30/2014

• hondaguymnhondaguymn Member Posts: 33

Incentives just changed today. 0.9 for 60 Months on accords.. Dang it! same interest paid over three years using pen fed 1.5 Just take the financing.

Dealer Cash

Requirements and Restrictions: •Dealer Cash is available towards retail purchase. Dealer Cash cannot be combined with APR or Lease offers financed through Honda Financial Services. Can be combined with available College Graduate or Military Appreciation offers.

Dealer Cash

Start

End

$1,000 07/08/2014 09/02/2014

Loyalty $ Offer

Requirements and Restrictions: •Loyalty Bonus Cash is available towards leasing or retail purchase to current owner of a 2004 or newer Honda vehicle. Bonus must be used towards the cap cost reduction. If used towards lease, contracts must be for a minimum of 24 month term. Trade-in is not required and Bonus Cash can be transferred to members residing within the same household. Vehicle must be financed through Honda Financial Services.

Bonus $ Offer

Type

Start

End

$500 Loyalty 07/22/2014 09/30/2014

edited August 2014

Financing

Special APR

Requirements and Restrictions:
    •Vehicle must be financed through Honda Financial Services. 0.9% to 1.9% APR is only for residents of: AZ, Southern California, CT, DE, FL, IL, IN, IA, ME, MA, MI, MN, NV, NH, NJ, NM, NY, ND, OH, PA, RI, SD, VT, WI

Special APR

Month Term

Start

End

0.9%...................... 24.................... 07/08/2014.. To......... 09/02/2014

0.9%........................ 36.................... 07/08/2014..To.......... 09/02/2014

1.9%......................... 60..................... 07/08/2014..to........ 09/02/2014

2014 Accord Sedan Special APR
    Offer valid from 8/15/2014 through 9/2/2014

0.9% APR for 24-60 months
    For well-qualified buyers and buyers that qualify for the Honda Graduate Program criteria
    Special APR offer valid on new and unregistered 2014 Accord Sedan Models from August 15, 2014 through September 2, 2014, to well qualified buyers on approved credit by Honda Financial Services through participating dealers. Must take new retail delivery on vehicle from dealer stock by September 2, 2014. Not all buyers may qualify. Higher rates apply for buyers with lower credit ratings. Example for 2014 Accord: 0.9% for 60 months financing at $17.05 a month for every $1,000.00 financed. Dealers set actual prices. See your Honda dealer for details.

null
    So when they not the amount per $1k do u just multiply? Like for a $25k car, $17.05 x 25 = $426.25 a month. Seems too simple so thought I'd ask.
  • jerseymikedjerseymiked Member Posts: 5
    edited August 2014
    I've tried working with most of the dealers in north and central NJ. Reached out to 8 of them but the most responsive were dch paramus, dch old bridge, and auto sport. The best deal is from dch old bridge. Here is the breakdown:

2014 accord sedan ex-l, no extras
    Price of unit: $24,693.93 (includes destination), Documentation Fee $369.00, +TTL Total OTD: $27,100

They are telling me honda pulled the conquest and loyalty cash. Anyone else hearing the buyer cash is gone?

Brian and others, I'm looking for feedback.
    edited August 2014

jerseymiked

Your at 1957 below dealers invoice minus dealers 369 doc fee. puts you at 1588 below.

If you don't wait till the very end of the month and push these NJ. dealers this price will be about your best price.

According to the last incentives that I posted it states ending in SEPT. I would call the Honda Corps. main office and ask them.

• tichlucytichlucy Member Posts: 4

Thank you to everyone on the forum for posting their deals and tips. They were a great help to me as I closed a deal on an Accord Ex-L (4 cylinder) with Navigation:

Sales Price (incl Destination), wheel locks, and splash guards: $25,340
    Out the door with doc fees, PA sales tax, and out of state registration: $27,733

I drove from PA to Honda of Tyson's Corner in VA to close the deal. I had finalized the deal via email the day before (with Jimmy H.), and the car was prepped and ready to go when I arrived the next day. They were great to work with.

@tichlucy‌ do u mind me asking....did u lease or buy? Put down money? N how much was ur payment? I'm in negotiations for the same vehicle. Lowest price thus far is $28k otd. 1st month down. $399/month. Still working on them but I'll drive to VA for that price since I should get recent grad n loyalty cash on top of that.

I bought with approximately 20% down and used the 0.9% for 60 months financing deal. Ask for Jimmy Hamidzada - he was wonderful to work with.

Is your 28k OTD before or after your grad and loyalty cash?

@sweets1180 said:
    tichlucy‌ do u mind me asking....did u lease or buy? Put down money? N how much was ur payment? I'm in negotiations for the same vehicle. Lowest price thus far is $28k otd. 1st month down. $399/month. Still working on them but I'll drive to VA for that price since I should get recent grad n loyalty cash on top of that.

What dealership are you working with? It seems like $28k OTD is a very good deal - only $270 more than mine. If I could have gotten 28k OTD in PA or DE, I would not have driven to Virginia.

• martyg2014martyg2014 Member Posts: 12
    edited August 2014

Bought a 2014 Accord Sedan Sport for 20980 (including destination) in San Antonio TX. Here is my deal breakdown:
    20980 - car
    399 - window tint
    189 - doc fee

EXs in this area are being quoted for 22500. Unfortunately, the only "Texas A&M maroon" EXs are Ivory interior - boo Honda!

2 other dealers offered similar price but when I asked about 0.9, they said the price would be 1,000 higher because the incentive was 1,000 cash or 0.9 - both said Honda was starting to follow the lead of the domestic manufacturers. Whatever. My deal was for the cash and the 0.9.

The car did have optional add-ons for fabric/paint protection 399 and nitrogen?? 199. These are pretty flimsy add-ons. I am willing to almost bet I already have the nitrogen in the tires because they have green stem caps

• 3bypass3bypass Member Posts: 8

Hi Brian125
    in NJ whats best price to buy 2014 ex accord cloth 500 student-500 loaylty +dealer cash?

BTW. Thanks to everyone who posts in here. Very useful information.

Brian, I know that you say no no no to extended warranties when purchasing the car, but I wonder what your thoughts are on buying the Honda Care online after the deal. I have never bought on an extended warranty on any of my 3 accords and cannot think of any service that I have done that would have even been covered outside the 3/36000. I see offers for 1100 for an 8yr/120,000 and zero deductible. I have no clue what the dealer one would have even cost since I dismissed it up front and the finance guy never even offered it. What is your opinion of these plans after the deal?

edited August 2014

3bypass

1500 to 2000 below dealers invoice price after you take dealers doc fee charge into consideration.

Reach out to @jerseymiked he is in the process of a similar deal in New jersey. Read my prior buying posts on how to get the best possible deal. Start your buying process the last week of this month holding out to the last day if you can't meet your target price before.

Your Ex model is limited on dealers lots making your buying process harder to strike a 2k below price or better deal in NJ. Find dealers that have several ex models .

Check out New Rochelle's inventory on EX models. Go to there web site. They still may have 10 or more ex's.

Friendly's Honda has 10, EX models listed and close to 300 2014 Accords on there lot..

NY doc fee's are only 75 dollars compared to NJ ...299 to 499 doc fee charge

edited August 2014

@martyg2014 said:
    BTW. Thanks to everyone who posts in here. Very useful information.

Brian, I know that you say no no no to extended warranties when purchasing the car, but I wonder what your thoughts are on buying the Honda Care online after the deal. I have never bought on an extended warranty on any of my 3 accords and cannot think of any service that I have done that would have even been covered outside the 3/36000. I see offers for 1100 for an 8yr/120,000 and zero deductible. I have no clue what the dealer one would have even cost since I dismissed it up front and the finance guy never even offered it. What is your opinion of these plans after the deal?

IMHO,

Save your money that's why your buying a Honda.. Don't get me wrong down the road any vehicle is a crap shoot with repairs and could lead to out of the pocket expenses.. If you could get that deal 8yr/120 for under 1100 dollars
    and it covers your transmission that would be the only big problem of my concern. That's a 2500 to 3k job. I have owned 4 Honda's and had very minor problems. Never bought any warranty on any of my vehicles. In over 40 years of new car buying I figure with the money saved not buying warranties I could of paid for 2 new cars cash..

So its piece of mind or roll the dice. 975 to 1100 dollars is a good deal on that warranty.

Check out these dealerships for warranty

Hyannis , Bernardi , Saccucci Honda.. They give better pricing than most of the dealers. . Make your local dealer match your best deal or tell them you will purchase the warranty in another state .

@brian125 said:
    Check out these dealerships for warranty Hyannis , Bernardi , Saccucci Honda.. They give better pricing than most of the dealers. . Make your local dealer match your best deal or tell them you will purchase the warranty in another state .

Thanks Brian. That pricing was from Saccucci. I am like you - but with many fewer cars. I have had an 87 Accord, 2001 Accord, 2012 Accord, and the 2014 I just purchased.

brian125 thanks for your time and info for evryone it's very helpful ihope dou know where can i get similar info for altima sv-2014

i have both accord 2009 altima 2006

@3bypass said:
    brian125 thanks for your time and info for evryone it's very helpful ihope dou know where can i get similar info for altima sv-2014

Im me with what state you want to buy in. I will tell you a good target price to buy vehicle.

@martyg2014 said:

check out the other 2 dealers w/ pricing then try bargaining down a few more dollars. 975 to 1k is your 1st price goal. Tell each dealer to consider your price then leave your email or number .

EXL V6 Sedan in Chapel Hill for 27600 OTD

• jj30jj30 Member Posts: 1

Hi, new here... Looking to buy an 2014 Accord Sport CVT in Virginia (area code 22101), and have been negotiating with dealers for the past few weeks. Could someone break down a ballpark range of what I should expect to pay OTD with a 4.2% sales tax, Graduate discount, and planning on doing Honda financing (0.9%/60mo). I just want to know what my acceptable range should be. Thanks in advance!

brian 125 i am in nj

close to phila.too

edited August 2014

Sent dealerships and pricing to you

• bridge12219bridge12219 Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2014

Hi. Newbie here too. I just purchased an Accord EX in SoCal on 8/18. $22,278 + TTL. I didn't see a destination charge in the contract so it must have been included in the 22,278. Doc Fee is 80. Transfer Fee is 29. DMV Fee is 255.

.9 APR for 60 months.

Any good?

Good deal............................ post the name of the dealership.