Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,121

Oh, man. Starting to get the desire to do something with the wife's CX-7.

Not that it's going anywhere soon ... we still have a couple of years of payments left, so it will be at least that long before we pull the trigger on the next car.

Wife is all over the map with what she might want next. She's not into sedans, so it will be a hatch / wagon / crossover type vehicle. Not even sure that AWD is a requirement this time around.

As noted a few months back, she took a liking to the X6, and the other day mentioned that she could go with a MINI (!). I've showed her pictures of the new Lexus NX, and she seemed OK with it. I've told her that this time around, the decision is all hers - no input from me. I'll help with the numbers when the time is right.

Her car has almost 55K on it - by the time we're ready, it should have 100K on it, more or less. So, I took a look to see what 6 year old CX-7's are going for on the used market today.

Holy cow - the most expensive one I saw (and I filtered to show only those with over 100K on them) was $13K, the lowest was $6K.

I'm guessing that when the time is right we might be able to get a decent trade value for it - $5-8K.

Way, way premature, I know .... and, the lease on my E-GT will be up before that time so I'll have to figure out what to do there as well.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    edited August 2014

@corvette said:
    qbrozen, I corrected the entry for your T&C. With ownership, you don't have as much of an incentive to wait until the end of a lease to trade!

henryn, I would take the interior of the current Impala (not the Impala Limited rental fleet model) over the Camry any day.

graphicguy, I think I missed your wife's Accord purchase (lease?) on the list. What year and trim level? I agree with you wholeheartedly on the Camry's interior. I think the gauge cluster looks particularly appalling, or at least it did on the 2011-2014 models. Not sure if that was corrected as part of a refresh. It's still a good seller, so most people may not care.

Corvette...wife bought the Accord before we were married, when we were still dating. Talk about culture shock for her. She had been driving a 12 year old Sentra. She was going to get a base Accord. The first Accord she test drove was an EX-L because it was the only model in the color she wanted. That was it....game...set...match.

Trying to remember, but I think she test drove a Jetta, an Altima, a Sonata. Accord was "IT" for her.

The Accord is nice, but having driven it, and my TL extensively, you can tell where Acura puts their extra $$$$ over something like the Accord which it's based on. Suspension, materials, steering, etc.

Don't know if I'm getting to be brand loyal (something I've never been), but the more I drive her Accord and my TL, the more I think I'm leaning towards another TLX for my next car.

I just like the way everything just "works" like they're supposed to in them. The Acura, at least, does feel quite premium (as much as any German marque I've owned). They are just all around good cars.

The new CTS does make me turn my head when I see them. But, I know that things like their CUE system is going to frustrate me to no end if I ever bought one.

Never been a Lexus or Infiniti fan. If they start dealing on a BMW M235i, that would be on my short list, too.

But geez-louise, has BMW and Audi really accelerated that much pricewise? The 3/4 BMWs, equipped the way I like them are on the wrong side of $60K. Same for an S4. I guess an S3 might be a possibility, but again, $50K? As nice as it might be, that's tough to swallow.

The more I drive my TL, the happier I am to keep it. Maybe I've hit my "diminishing returns" point.

2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    edited August 2014

"I guess an S3 might be a possibility, but again, $50K? As nice as it might be, that's tough to swallow." - graphicguy

When I scanned the article on the S3 in the most recent C+D [ quarter mile 12.9 at 108 ] I priced one the way I would order it - $44.5K. I think once the S3s at port are released to dealers, I will likely drive one......

= Ray

Driven a gaggle of Audis, never quite sold on one...

2022 X3 M40i
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435

Diminishing returns is a perfect concept for cars now. That last few % is getting really expensive!

Me, I will drive a TLX in a couple of weeks when my TL gies in for annual service. I expect to live it and be bummed about being too broke to get one. Then will google "how to sell your college kid to the circus so you can afford a nice car"

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

@graphicguy said:
    The more I drive my TL, the happier I am to keep it. Maybe I've hit my "diminishing returns" point.

We are all getting conservative in our buying as we mature (except breld and his wife). First, nyc says he's not going to replace the BMW when the lease is up next month. Now, gg professes his love for his TL and thinks he might keep it long term.

As for me, today is day 10 where the E-GT has been in the shop. The shop called on Tuesday to tell me it was going in for painting that day, and they hopefully should have it ready today. Hoping to get a phone call later this morning letting me know it's done.

I have to admit, I miss the little thing. The Altima I'm renting is nice enough, but my car is more engaging to drive (relatively speaking), and has more creature comforts (I miss XM!). I am, however, getting used to the CVT, especially

Speaking of XM, I got the renewal notices for both the CX-7 and the E-GT in the past few weeks. The Mazda is on an auto-renewal with a CC, while I've been "paying as you go" on the Hyundai. Think I can get a deal I by calling them and combining the two accounts?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889

yup, we have been driving an ecoboost Escape for 2 weeks now. Dropping it off at the airport tonight. We will have logged just over 2k miles. Car had 59xxx when we picked it up. I regretted the choice as soon as we walked through the Hertz parking lot because, while the woman at the counter offered me a few choices in the class we booked, she also offered me a couple of upgrades for a fee. However, the vehicles she offered did not appeal to me. Had I known they had a Panamera sitting in the parking lot, it could have been a different story.

Anyway, the Escape has been very sketchy through much of this. Shuddery brakes (not confidence inspiring on the winding mountain roads we have traveled almost daily), overheating and limp mode issues through Death Valley, hunting and hard-shifting transmission, a lovely "engine malfunction" warning just yesterday, and mileage averaging 23.9 mpg, which I don't consider too fabulous for what it is. But just one more 2-hr drive and I'll never have to see it again. I will say I found it comfy enough for 6-hr driving stints, and the turbo is welcome as long as you catch the transmission in the right gear.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188

@stickguy said:

Then will google "how to sell your college kid to the circus so you can afford a nice car"

I could give my college kid to the circus, and save enough money to drive anything I want..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373

@graphicguy‌

The biggest thing I miss from the TSX is the seats. Thick Bolsters & very supportive.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289

@Michaell said:

Speaking of XM, I got the renewal notices for both the CX-7 and the E-GT in the past few weeks. The Mazda is on an auto-renewal with a CC, while I've been "paying as you go" on the Hyundai. Think I can get a deal I by calling them and combining the two accounts?

My experiences with SiriusXM have been that you need to negotiate every renewal. If you auto-renew, the charge on your credit card will be +/- $175. If you wait until right before the expiration date and call, they will (after a little back and forth) agree to renew for $95. Somehow that $95 winds up being closer to $110 ($105? $108? Somewhere in there). But still a lot less than the $175.

To get this rate, you HAVE to negotiate each and every time. You cannot get auto-renewal AND the lower rate.

At least, this has been my experience so far…

2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698

@Michaell said:
    We are all getting conservative in our buying as we mature (except breld and his wife).

Hey! We recently gave in to our long commute and are both driving comfortable automatic trannie cars. Isn't that a sign of maturity? ;)

From my experience, combining the cars on one account gets you a discount off the second radio, but you're still better off calling to get a promotional rate on both (you can still combine them onto one account though).

For example, I think the standard deal is something like $160/year for the first car, and $120/year for the second. But when I've called in to request a promotional rate, I can get somewhere around $80/year for each car. But I think you need to call in before the auto-renewal kicks in.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236

My dad has always been able to get XM for $25/6 months or $25/5 months (I can't remember which one). Even then, he cancelled it the last time the promotional period ended because it was so annoying to call them every few months.

It is possible to get $25 for 6 months. But (you knew there was a "but", right?) You have to let it expire and wait for them to offer the $25 re-up. Which means there is a lapse in service, which could be one week or one month.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,029

@qbrozen said:
    Anyway, the Escape has been very sketchy through much of this. Shuddery brakes (not confidence inspiring on the winding mountain roads we have traveled almost daily), overheating and limp mode issues through Death Valley, hunting and hard-shifting transmission, a lovely "engine malfunction" warning just yesterday, and mileage averaging 23.9 mpg, which I don't consider too fabulous for what it is. But just one more 2-hr drive and I'll never have to see it again. I will say I found it comfy enough for 6-hr driving stints, and the turbo is welcome as long as you catch the transmission in the right gear.

Whoa! That doesn't sound very confidence-inspiring. Isn't 59,000 miles way high for a rental car? That sounds like Rent-a-Wreck territory.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676

All three of the rentals I had this year had over 40k. And as to XM if you auto renew you will pay double. It's silly to have to negotiate each time but that's their system.

'14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188

The last time (February) that my renewal came up.. didn't get anywhere. Once they find out that you want a deal, they pass you off to a call center in Asia... Just not worth it, to me... too much hassle to save $6/mo, and not worth $12/mo.... I just let it go.. (and, that's after 3 renewals from when we first leased the vehicle).

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,591
    edited August 2014

Been away. @nyccarguy asked if I got killed on trading the Accord. Q put the trade-in around $20500 to $21. Got $22, so okay...I bought it for $26k a year ago and put 12k miles on it. Leaf was $1200 below invoice before federal rebate, etc, which I thought was pretty good given the 15s just started hitting lots. No sales tax in WA for an EV either. So it turned out okay, and I'm enjoying the car. 600 miles so far...

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

@Michaell said:

Michaell....maybe you're right. Maturity is setting in (really?.......nah, don't believe it). We don't like change as much as we used to.

That, or after a few decades of trying almost everything that struck my fancy, I've FINALLY found the vehicles and manufacturers I like.

Everybody becomes loyal to a brand for a variety of reasons. Laurasdada loves his Jags. They fit him well and have served him well. Abacomike likes his Mercedes for the same reasons. I have two brands I can say that about.....Acura and BMW. BMW, for all of their "goodness" really don't offer more than the Acuras do...at least in no significant way for me.

So, there's nothing right now that I've seen to cause me to part with my current ride, which is probably one of the best cars I've owned from a "trouble free" perspective, which will make me part with any greenbacks. Even when I sit in another car, I'm reminded of how well my Acuras have fit me (nyc.....love Acura's seats), how everything seems to be right where I want it, and how much fun the TL really is to drive, all without worrying about something breaking on it. Even the stereo is something I really like about the car.

While the BMW M235i is mighty tempting, as is the new TLX, I don't know that they'll do any more for me than my current TL will.

2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring

Thanks to all for the Sirius/XM renewal feedback. The notice for the CX-7 is $180 for the year, while on the Elantra it's $103 for 6 months.

May spend a bit of time on the phone to see what I can get.

In other news ... wife was home this morning (she teaches late on Tuesdays and Thursdays) so we talked about her next car. The winner is ....

Volvo V60. She's looking for a 'premium' name and has wanted a Volvo for some time now. I actually got her to go to the Volvo website and spec one out. T5 AWD in Seashell Metallic. Premium, cold weather, tech, H/K stereo, etc. $46K sticker price.

Of course, this is still 2-3 years away, so there's still time for her to change her mind.

Perhaps there is an opportunity to get her to look at the BMW 328 xdrive diesel wagon. All the bells and whistles she wants but better mileage.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698

Yeah, I'm with you on Acura and BMW. My first passion was with my Civic Si, then Prelude and then the TSX later on. I replaced that TSX with my first BMW (530xi) and obviously became smitten with the roundel since then. But I've been nostalgic for a return to Honda/Acura as of late - stalking RSXs and Civic Si's on craigslist. And possibly going the TLX route down the road in a couple of years.

Certainly not comparing our Odyssey to your TL, but it is a good example of the brand's "goodness" you speak of. After our recent roadtrip to Yellowstone, both my wife and I remarked on what a great vehicle it is - not only from a functionality perspective, but just the way it continues to run so well after almost 80k miles, with only routine maintenance.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559

@stickguy said:
    I'm not really worried about it. though the way things have been going into the dumper around here lately, maybe I should be.

Stick, I hope your kid is ok up here in Albany. Let me know if I can be of assistance.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

Thanks farmer. He is doing fine. Though if you can find him a rich girlfriend that would be nice.

I love the seats in the first gen TSX. In many ways the perfect car.

And I don't like to thing I am mature. Just broke. But props to my TL. 175k and it did the 2 hour highway trip like it was new. That car loves to cruise on the highway.

• akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281

I realized the other day that its been over a year since the last time I test drove any car. That's pretty sad. My explorer is just over a year old with 18k on it. Its kind of nice having a car I could care less about, I don't worry about scratches or dings or if the baby spits up on the floor or seat. I'm enjoying that!

On another note, I did test drive a car today but its nothing I was looking at, my son was looking for a new car and talked me into a test drive. Long story short, the car was amazing and he bought it. I got to work a car deal with someone else's money. Considering he has to ship it out and its a somewhat hard to find car he got a very very fair deal on it. He bought a 2014 Ford Focus ST, leather recaro seats, sunroof, basically loaded with every option a Focus ST can have. Awesome driving car, that much I can say about it. That was fun, but I'm good, have no desire to buy anything for myself. Should I hand in my CCBA card?

Didn't he just buy a car to replace a car? Maybe a hyundai?

@stickguy said:
    Didn't he just buy a car to replace a car? Maybe a hyundai?

He sold the 2011 Elantra he had for almost 2 years to Car Max a month or so ago. He bought a 1996 Firebird right before he sold the Elantra. He's keeping the Firebird so he can start working on it and making it faster (typical guy) plus he really likes it. However, he wanted a new car that gets decent gas mileage rather than the 12-13 he gets with the firebird. Way I see it, its his money, he can afford the car, why not have something you love to drive......or in his case, 2 somethings.

We still have the '01 Silverado (115k), the '12 Focus (50k), and the '14 Explorer (18k), I don't see our stable changing anytime soon.

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

@akangl said:
    Should I hand in my CCBA card?''

Just loan it to your son until you need it back. :)

Ha, Steve, I don't really see myself needing it back. I'm slowing down in my old age. I kept the Sierra for almost 2 years and have had the Explorer for over a year. Not as interested in driving something different all the time as I was, I don't even drive the different vehicles we have here. I pretty much stick to the Explorer, daughter drives the Silverado, and hubby has the Focus.

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    edited August 2014

Spoke with wife tonight and she's content sharing the Accent with my kid and at least for now, plans to just let the Mazda sit awhile longer. For some reason, she'stuck on buying the last week of December still. She did ask me about the a/c guy I found for her but hasn't asked again about it. So we'll just stay the course here and do nothing. Like the looks of the new Mazda3 but think she'll end up going Hyundai for the longer warranty like I did.
    Seeing a lot more Outlander Sports around here and a bit sorry I didn't just wait a bit but then I remember it had the cvt which I really didn't care for and no leather and then I'm glad that I did what I did. Still think the Sportage looks a bit nicer but as they say in real estate, "location, location, location"! Having the Hyundai store so close really gave it the nod for me...I drive so much as it is at work and getting to work that I want to be close to everything when I am not at work! Maybe that's also part of that maturity thing that suddenly has become the topic of the day here! About to turn 60, so maybe it really is a mental thing!!!

The Sandman

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236

While running an errand for a charity this afternoon, I got a little too close to a curb. Sort of a backwards instant karma situation, if you will. Judging by the sound of it, I figured the right rear wheel would be torn all to heck, but there's only a ~1.5" scratch around the edge of the rim, and the edge protector on the tire is gouged (but not the sidewall).

Given that the car is already damaged goods, I'll probably leave it alone for the time being. Could have been worse, but still very annoying!

@stickguy said:
    Thanks farmer. He is doing fine. Though if you can find him a rich girlfriend that would be nice.

If I find one I'm keeping her. B)

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

stick, hope your son is settling in well with his new job. I know we are in different organizations, but he can always reach out to me if he has any general questions about working for Big Blue.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,759
    edited August 2014

@akangl said:
    He bought a 2014 Ford Focus ST

Nice! Congrats to him!

I thought long and hard about replacing my Fiesta with an ST version, but my practical side won out. And, I've even tossed around the idea of selling the Fiesta and not replacing it at all!

/banned :'(

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250

Thanks Michael. Not sure it matters but technically works for a contract agency. Hopefully at some point that changes.

@stickguy said:
    Thanks Michael. Not sure it matters but technically works for a contract agency. Hopefully at some point that changes.

There is a lot of that, as well. If he does well, perhaps he will be offered a permanent position. Is he in STG?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Depends. What is STG.?

@stickguy said:
    Depends. What is STG.?

Systems and Technology Group -- hardware, basically.

I'm in SWG - Software Group.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384

This will likely get me tossed out but I sold a car without buying one. Last December my daughter's boyfriend who we like a lot hit a patch of ice and totaled his car. This was an old Acura CL so it didn't take much to total it. I lent him my Solara its main and pretty much only function was to drive around with the top down. I tell him to keep it until April 1. That was a big mistake. He's just starting out as an apprentice electrician and was not officially on a job as yet and his parents took the opportunity to do nothing.

April comes and go and still no car. Well, April was cool and wet so no harm and I say June 1 or I'll leave you high and dry, Maybe a couple of weeks into June he texts me asking if I wanted to sell the car. The answer was no but I'd sell it to him but given the circumstances no discounts. Took some doing but we got the deal done.

I'm now sitting on the proceeds and making a payment into the car fund instead of making car payments. We'll see how long this lasts. I have so far resisted buying a Miata. If I could find an 89 in nice shape I'd buy it and register it as a classic car. Cheap and cheap to insure. Limited miles per year but that's fine. I love my Mazda 6. It's a very entertaining car.

Stay tuned.

2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.

I dig that Focus ST. Sharp color for it too. Someone near my house has a white one and it looks sick with the black grill up front.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

I guess we can ALL find a reason to "punch" for practical reasons over what we think is "car guy cool." I'm excited to put the new springs & struts on my Prelude. I drove it every day last week and just love everything about it. There's something about commuting in a "cool car" even if you just get to go around 1 clover leaf exit ramp or jump on it to just once a day to merge onto the highway.

Just this AM as I was loafing in the middle lane at 70 mph when I saw a black C7 Corvette and Dark Grey SRT8 Grand Cherokee in my rear view mirror. They passed me on the left at a decent clip. As they passed, I admired their beauty, their details, the power under their hoods.

Tonight I saw a Challenger SRT8 392 crawling in traffic in front of me on The Cross Bronx Expressway. Ridiculous? Yes. Until the traffic let up and he dropped the hammer. There's really nothing like the sound of a V8.

So while practical Bradd (once I re-do the kitchen) can make a case for something like a VW Jetta TDI, I'm going to test drive a Ford Focus ST too:)

I go back and forth. Still think I might want to unload the fleet before something expensive happens. Especially if I have to keep making frequent trips up to ny. Just get cost and reliability certainty.

Though I do have to get frugal. Probably. Maybe.

Ok. Need to shop year end deals. A car I like for ~200/mo might be hard to resist. Plus my daughter still wants our dad/daughter car shopping trip before college starts Thursday. Though not much time left.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

I'm going to be a vicarious car buyer next month, and help a friend negotiate on a buy of a new 2015 Mercedes C400 or perhaps E-Class. Cash deal, maybe $65K loaded up. Wish I could write a check like that! :)

@Mr_Shiftright said:
    I'm going to be a vicarious car buyer next month, and help a friend negotiate on a buy of a new 2015 Mercedes C400 or perhaps E-Class. Cash deal, maybe $65K loaded up. Wish I could write a check like that! :)

I wish I had friends that could

I finally replaced the Passat. Found a 2005 Tahoe, LT with leather, 111k, clean carfax, for $6,250.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321490114206?_trksid=p2060778.m1431.l2648&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&autorefresh=true

• slorenzenslorenzen Member Posts: 694

@Mr_Shiftright said:

You CAN!

Oh, you want the check to CLEAR??!!??

:D

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,096

I don't know if C400 can be loaded that high, would maybe need some tack on or aftermarket stuff. E however can get there easily enough.

End of year can have nice subsidized E leases.

@Mr_Shiftright said:

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,096
    edited August 2014

Edit: New C is on MBUSA now, I built one to my spec (loaded) 62K. Yikes. I can get a nice E for that

Update on the ION - daughter in law took it to the dealer on Tuesday to get the ignition recall taken care of. She reports no problems at the dealer.

However, I was surprised today when I got a check from the dealer for $228.76 - the amount I paid in 2012 to replace the ignition switch. I had written off seeing that money.

And, I got the Elantra back from the body shop yesterday - looks good. Put a fair number of miles on it tonight delivering.

Tomorrow I take it to PPIR for my supercar track day - Audi R8 this time.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

@fezo said:

I'm now sitting on the proceeds and making a payment into the car fund instead of making car payments. We'll see how long this lasts. I have so far resisted buying a Miata. If I could find an 89 in nice shape I'd buy it and register it as a classic car. Cheap and cheap to insure. Limited miles per year but that's fine. I love my Mazda 6. It's a very entertaining car.

Stay tuned.

Here's one that's close to your specs:
    http://cnj.craigslist.org/cto/4620877639.html

Boy those things are pricey used.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,029

@Michaell said:
    Update on the ION - daughter in law took it to the dealer on Tuesday to get the ignition recall taken care of. She reports no problems at the dealer.

However, I was surprised today when I got a check from the dealer for $228.76 - the amount I paid in 2012 to replace the ignition switch. I had written off seeing that money.

With the current recall, did they replace the 2012 switch or just confirm it is a later version and return what you spent on it? What led to the 2012 repair?

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6