Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Escape

Comments

• odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    I think this has been the most the Escape forum has been up near the top in a long time.

Well, I'm off to the Philly Auto Show in the morn., watch for a link with pictures.

Odie
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    Ford drop the name "Escape" so fast. After just about 8 years of production. It just doesn't look good when you go to trade in a vehicle that is dead in the water. Escape/Trib/Mariner are great little SUV's.
    Myself, I think I'm going to go back to a sedan this summer. Gas prices aren't going to go down. I figure they will start heading up again in the next 2 months. So far my choices for the replacement of my trusty Escape are:
    Ford Fusion
    Pontiac G6
    Volkswagon Jetta
    Not in any order of preference by the way....
    Well, I created a post over in News & Views for Auto Show Pictures, and I've already started putting some up. The new Ford Edge is about the same size as the Escape, just a tad bigger.

Odie
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Facelifted Ford Escape caught (Straightline Blog)

Steve, Host
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,293
    looks like either 2 different vehicles, or the pictures were shot at different times. in one, the left front fender has a cover on it, the other does not. maybe the photog, took it off! on purpose?
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    Heh, just a quick peek and a snap, right? Or maybe Ford is driving that rig around to throw GM off the scent. :shades:

Steve, Host
  • redfairyredfairy Member Posts: 2
    I recently took my 2002 escape in for a recall. Never had any problems with this vehicle. Six days later we noticed oil drips. My husband checked it out and found the oil pan bolts were loose! Dealership devil? I don't know but I know these are torqued down and should not come loose. Any one know the torque specs. or where to find them? Any help would be great. :mad:
    I would call a different dealership's service department and ask them what it is. Then I would call your service dept that you deal with and ask them the same question.

Odie
  • redfairyredfairy Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Odie, I didn't know if a dealership would give me this info. or if it would be correct. I will try your suggestion. Meanwhile isn't there a book you can check out at the library on your specific vehicle? I can't remember the name. Chalmers?
    I am surprised Ford spent the $$ for a face lift on the Escape. All indications point to the Escape being phased out and replaced by the Edge.. When is this face lift supposed to hit showrooms? late 06? :confuse:
  • mystiquemystique Member Posts: 24
    I have heard rumors of a totally new Escape in a few years or just a re-facelift for 08' If they are testing that Escape on the street already I would expect it to be ready for the fall or early o7' Also the Edge is much larger than the Escape, and not a replacement. People keep saying that, but, the Edge is about 185 inches the Escape is about 175 inches. They may be cross-shopped against each other but there is no reason to think that the Escape is being phased out, yet. In fact I heard they are going to add another SUV/CUV smaller than the Escape so that camoflaged Escape could be a tad larger than the current one to make room for the rumored smaller SUV. Oh well, I am a big Ford guy so it will be interesting if they come out with that Bronco concept as the small SUV. We'll see.
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    The new Escape will have to be out by 08 as the current interior does not comply with safety rules that go into effect for the 2008 model year.

Mark.
    I just got back from the dealer after having my routing service done, and found out that there will be a '07 and at least an '08. The interesting part is, I was told that Ford will be adding a sport model Escape (unknow if it will be a 2 or 4 door), but will have 3 engines available. It will have the Std 4cyl, and 3.0ltr V6 available with both the FWD and 4WD, but then things get fun, they will have the 3.5ltr 255HP V6 available with FWD ONLY, and only avail with the Sport Model. The dealer also had told me they may have a power rear roof like the Freestyle FX concept (that may also be arriving on the Freestyle) that will turn the from normal Escape body to Sport-trac style body. I'm waiting to see if anything surfaces in the media from this, but it could be a wait. Maybe that spy shot somebody posted earlier, might have been the sport-trac version?

Odie
    How you been?
    I too am now reading there will be an updated Escape for 07. A new frontend and rearend, new interior, lots of standard safety equipment. Hey! Maybe Ford finally listened to the consumer! I have not heard of the 3.5 making its way into the Escape however. I believe the engine factory for the 3.5 is just now really starting to spin up production. I believe the 3.5 will make its way first in the 500/Montego/Freestyle and the new Mercury brother of the Freestyle. Rumor has it even the Ranger will get the 3.5.. I guess we'll see...
    I am however probably going to sell my Escape this summer sometime. It now has over 65,000 reliable miles on it!
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Member Posts: 1,711
    Yesterday my parents purchased an '02 Escape XLT to replace an old and tired '97 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I drove the Escape back home from the dealer (we live 40 miles away) and I have to say it is worlds better than our former truckish-feeling Jeep. I also believe that we will more than likely get better gas mileage too. Our Escape is fully loaded, with leather upholstery and a sunroof, and we paid $10,500 (including trade-in) with 29K miles.

I have only one question however: When is the right time to turn on and use the AWD system with the little dash switch? And can AWD be used as a full-time system, just like the Selec-Trac in our old Jeep?
  • gheimurgheimur Member Posts: 88
    The switch should almost never be used. 4 wheel drive is on all the time. Turning the switch should only be used on snow if you get stuck
    The 02 Escape uses a hydraulic clutch to engage 4wd. Sometimes, this does not react quickly enough. For instance if you were stopped on a snow covered hill at a red light. when the light turns green you might slide back several feet before the 4wd system gets the torque back to the rear wheels. This is when you use the switch. Its not good to leave the switch in 4wd because the clutch gets hot and then my disengage to protect itself and it might disengage at the wrong time for the driving conditions.

You almost never need to flip the switch and you should definitely switch it back when the immediate need passes.
    I personally have only had to use the switch in my '01 3 times.
    1. Going through mud and water that was up to the center of tires after having to back down a boat ramp with a small trailer into the mud / water because the water level was so low to begin with that the concrete ramp ended about 15 feet before the water level started.
    2. a few years back when we got hammered with 4+ feet of snow in about 6 hours. I had to use the switch just to get out onto my side street enought that I could shovel my driveway.
    3. about 3 weeks ago when I had to go up an old dirt fire road to get to an uncles house after about 2 feet of snow (near Punxatawney, Pa) and the road had not been touched. I had only used it for safety since the road has a 8 1/2% grade hill on it and my 2 yr old was with me.

Odie
    I use the switch most of the time when I visit the mountains or we get into extreme weather. I can only remember once one we had snow that I had forgotten to engage the switch and the front wheels slipped and the back wheels engaged. The newer than 02 Escapes don't have the switch. It is all done electronically.
    2008 Ford Escape gets new look (Inside Line)

Steve, Host
    we have had our '04 for 2 years. i am not the regular driver. went to visit a college with my 'has their permit driver'. gas mileage for the tank of gas, not all this trip, was just under 22, about 80% highway miles. i really filled it up(overfilled it actually). the highest temp on the aftermarket mirror was 37 degrees.
    it can run at 80 mph, no problem. i caught myself doing that a couple of times. usually i tried to keep it between 65-70. there were a lot of hills on the interstate, and it would downshift on most of them, especially with the cruise on. the fastest i drove it with the cruise on was 72 mph. i know there is a point where it won't have to downshift anymore, but it was a higher speed than i was willing to go.
    the tires can be loud, especially on cement pavement.
    sometimes they weren't bad. i find them to be noisy overall.
    for some reason i was more comfortable in the front passenger seat than the driver seat.
    i'll be looking for some new tires.
  • redboneredbone Member Posts: 11
    Autoweek.com has this as an 07 and also has spy shots of the Montego as 07 also, which is it 07 or 08?
    Guess we'll have to wait a month until the New York Auto Show to be sure. :P

Since every other site out there says it's an '07 perhaps you should should Contact the editors. :shades:

Steve, Host
    I know that's the spy shot for the '08 escape, but it looks an awful lot like the Ford Teritory found down under in austraila. Ford Austraila Site And the Teritory is between the Escape and the Exploder, but not as large as the upcomming Edge.

Speaking of Austraila, I wish ford would bring a few of their model over here (Falcon {XR6 / XR8}, Falcon Ute {take on the old Ranchero}, Teritory, and Courier {4 dr Ranger}).
    The order guide for the 07 Escape is already available to dealers and Job 1 is in May.

The 07 is the same as the current vehicle. The 08 will be revised.

Its easy to figure out what vehicles Ford will have to revise by the 08 model year. Just look at the window switches. Anything with a double push window switch as opposed to the safety push pull window switch will have to change... or go away. I wonder if they have even decided yet what to do with the Panthers.

Mark.
    The run of the Escape is just about over... On Fri driving home from work (with wife and daughter in vehicle) the Escape lost all brakes. The ABS had to try and engage to stop the car and the e-brake didn't want to engage. Luckily I was on the campus roads and not much traffis and only doing about 15-20mph, but scary regardless. The dealer (on the way between house and work) to the Escape in immediatly and gave me a '06 Focus as a loaner till they can figure out what happened. I just had full brakes done less than 6k miles. So, wife want to start looking at a replacement and we set a budget for $27-$28k.
    List includes ;
    1. '06 Mazda MPV
    2. '06 Scion xB
    3. '06 Mazda 5
    4. '06 Saturn Vue (wife likes this one)
    5. '06 Pontiac Torrent

Odie
  • mario10mario10 Member Posts: 4
    I have a Ford Windstar and an Escape. I'm trying to locate the OBD-II plug on the Escape. The Windstar's is right under the steering column. The Escape's is at the "Center tunnel under IP"? Any better directions would be appreciated.
    Sorry you are having problems with your Escape. I drove the Mazda 5 and its a really neat little vehicle for people that don't need a "full size" mini van. Pretty much every safety feature you could want is standard for under $20k.

The Saturn VUE and Pontiac Torrent are the same vehicle but Saturn lets you buy a HONDA ENGINE! Thats right, GM realized their powertrains were so uncompetitive, they started buying crate engines from Honda!

The Scion XB is not a real car.

Mark.
    are you the one with the supercharger added on?
    I thought you bought a newer Escape?
  • hamstermanhamsterman Member Posts: 6
    The 2006 Escape's OBD-II plug is right under the steering column, as well. I would presume it is the same for the other years.

Hamsterman
    Yes, I have the Turbo in the 3.0ltr that pushed the engine up to 245hp. And to answer Scape post No, I still have the '01 XLT. Also with my wife due end June / early July, we decided to get a new vehicle. She has the '03 Honda Accord Ex that I bought her for our 4th anniv. and loves it. We just want to look at something that gets a little better mileage. My escape is hanging right around the 22mpg mark. I'll let you know how things work out.

And what do you mean the xB is not a real car. The thing has more interior room than the Escape and almost as much as an Exploder.

Odie
  • mario10mario10 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks, I found the OBD plug right by the hood release.
    Dude, if the 200hp from a stock Escape wasn't enough for you there is no way the around 105hp in an xB will be to your liking.

I think the xB runs about 2 gerbil power and the whole interior SCREAMS cheap! (not that the Escape is much better but that isn't a new car)

Mark.
    Horsepowers not realy an issue. We are looking at gas mileage numbers. But remember, the Escape weighs almost 1500lbs more than the xB. When we added the Turbo it wasn't for racing use but a way to improve on the gas mileage numbers. It pushed us up a bit but not much, but downside is when I really stand on the throttle it eats more gas than normal. We have already test drove the following; (this list is NOT what we are looking at, just what we test drove)
    1. '06 Scion xB
    2. '06 Mazda MPV
    3. '06 Honda Pilot
    4. '06 Pontiac SV6
    5. '06 Pontiac Torrent
    6. '06 Ford Freestyle
    7. '06 Honda Element
    8. '06 Hummer H3
    9. '06 Dodge Grand Caravan
    10. '06 Mazda 5
    11. '06 VW Pissat Wagon
    12. '06 Saturn Vue
    13. '05 Honda Tourer (Accord Wagon that a friend imported for $5k over tag)
    14. '06 Jeep Commander
    15. '06 Acura TSX Wagon (local Acura Dealer had it)
    16. '06 Chevrolet HHR
    17. '06 Toyota Highlander

As you see Horsepower is not really an issue and price is not either. As for the xB's 103hp, it has a decent hp/weight ratio that makes the thing a little spirited.

I didn't think the interior was that bad in any of the vehicles.

Vehicles I've owned;
    1. '80 Ford Fairmont
    2. '86 Ford Thunderbird
    3. '80 Monte Carlo 3.8 Turbo
    4. '94 Ford Ranger XL
    5. '97 Jeep Wrangler 4cyl Sport (1 of 10 made)
    6. '98 Dodge Stratus 2.4 Turbo (Mitsubishi built)
    7. '95 Pontiac Grand Am SE
    8. '01 Ford Escape XLT 4wd (traded both Stratus and Grand Am for this)
    9. TBA

So as you see I have had a variety of vehicles.

Odie
    here are the cars my Wife has had;
    1. '94 Pontiac Sunfire
    2. '97 Saturn SL1
    3. '00 Honda Civic EX
    4. '03 Honda Accord EX (current vehicle)

I bought the Accord for her for our 4th anniversary, but only because the Civic just gave us nothing but trouble after the first year we owned it.

As for my family (since I was born in '74)
    Father's;
    1. '74 Ford F-100 Custom
    2. '93 Ford F-150 XLT
    3. '95 Ford F-150 XLT Lariet (father passed away in '98)

Mother's;
    1. '78 Ford Maverick
    2. '80 Ford Fairmont
    3. '82 Ford Econline Van
    4. '86 Ford Taurus
    5. '89 Ford Taurus SE
    6. '92 Dodge Ram Charger
    7. '98 Ford Mustang GT
    8. '98 Nissan Maxima GXE
    9. '03 Chevrolet Tahoe (current vehicle)

Odie
  • gussguss Member Posts: 1,167
    I noticed you have not tried the Maxda6 wagon yet.I just traded one for my Escape. It has the same 3.0L as the Escape but with 21 more horses and they now have a 6sp transmission . Mine also got about 2 to 3 more mpg's than the Escape.

Wit a little searching you may still find an '05 leftover.

My biggest issue with it was that it sat so low. I like the higher seating position in the Escape much better. The one thing I do miss though is the radio controls on the steering wheel.
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    Wow...that's a pretty big list of cars you test driven! How would you compare the Pilot, Freestyle & Highlander?
    I would have to say I liked the Pilot overall of the Pilot / Freestyle / Highlander. The Highlander was to leg cramped for my style. The only big beef I have with the Pilot is the hugh blind spots on it's rear quarters. Unfortinatly I had test drove an EX-L pilot (leather) and I like leather, but don't want it with a soon to be 3 yr old and a newborn. The Freestyle was a nice enter and exit, just a tad lower than the Escape and felt about the same inside.

Odie
    1st - I know that the Kelley BB trade value on a reg equip Escape XLT is $9,000. I have also added a few upgrades so I would expect nothing less that $10,000 ($9,000 if you consider the scratches from the Driver door that got scuffed a few months back). I had my local dealers body shop total give me an appraisal on the driver door, and hood (again), and it would be $603.00. Unfortinalty the hood is no longer covered under warrenty after the first repainting due to the paint chipping.
    2nd - I had the vehicle appraised on Sat for a trade-in and the dealer came back and said they would only be able to give me $4500. I laughed and walked out without any explaination. So I get a call today from the dealer asking "What did they do that made me leave like that", and I told him I know the trade value of my vehicle and if they can't even get close to $8,000 don't even bother, and hung up.
    Now granted this is on a $19,000 Scion xB, but seriously only $4500, if they didn't want my buisness they could have just told me.
    3rd - To make matters worse, my wife said she doesn't want to buy the xB because she will NOT drive a vehicle that looks like a box. But then turns around and says she wants to go look at the Pilot, Gr. Cherokee, and Commander. All of which when equiped we could by 2 xB's for the price of 1 of those 3. Also I would ike to maybe get something that gets BETTER MPG not WORSE.
    As soon as she said she wanted to look at the Pilot, I turned around told her she must have "Silver-H-itis" and she sould get it looked at. I guess I will be making dinner for awhile after that comment, LOL.

I keep you all posted as to what happens next.

Odie
    Dude, realistically you can't expect to get anything for your "upgrades"

Most dealers consider your "upgrades" as a negative.

Second, tell KBB to send you a check...Oh wait thats right, they don't ACUTALLY buy cars. If they did, at the figures they publish, they would be Chpt. 11 in about 1 week.

Websites do not set used car prices. the Market does. Your car is only worth what someone is willing to pay your for it. Also, I doubt an xB would hold its value any better than an Escape.

Mark.
    1. Turbo install onto engine
    2. Rear seat DVD system 9" screens installed into the Rear of my full back front bucket seats.
    3. Front Grille Guard (with brush guard)
    4. Rear Bumper Bar
    5. Rear Light Protector Bars
    6. Side Mirror Turn signals.
    7. upgraded all speakers to Titanium JBL 5x9's in doors, and 12" sub in rear.
    8. 500wt JBL Amp. (for the added power for stereo and dvd system)
    9. Dyno Mat (sound proofing) the entire inside of vehicle.
    10. upgraded light kit to Zenon lights.

The only downside to the Escape is the Driver side door having a scuff from some idiot not paying attention while pulling into (or backing out) of their parking spot.

Odie
    that turbo, being rare, puts a big unknown in the mind of the dealer.
    you are better off selling it yourself and telling people the turbo is a fuel saving device. ;)
    Some Options Depreciate Faster Than Others

You almost always get more selling it yourself if you have time to deal with the hassle.

Steve, Host
    The market sets your resale value not the internet. Used 01 Escapes are selling anywhere from 11K-15K in my region. These prices come from dealerships and private party. Odie, you may consider selling it yourself.
    Xb is a fad. My kids absolutely hate them and would not be caught dead in one. This is the next generation of drivers. They call them a refrig on wheels, they call the Element, the "Uglyment" too by the way..
    Ever thought of just going to a 4cyl Escape/Tribute? maybe a 2WD?
    The dealer has to stand behind the car when he resells it. Your engine mods are not going to make him happy.

Mark.
    Well went to a different local dealer (this time Mazda / Jeep) and was looking at the 3 MPV's they have on the lot. Well long story short, they want to give me $9000 trade on Big Blue on a left-over '05 Mazda6 s Sport Wagon or on an '06 Mazda5.
    Now comes the BUT... my lovely wife then says, why don't we wait and see what kind of rebates there will be come summer, and also maybe wait till after we start to build the new house just incase we need to use Big Blue to move items using a small trailer.

I'm telling you I'm going to be keeping Tylenol in buisness the way this is going.

Odie :sick:
    odie... my guess is that the deals are not going to get better on an '05.
    just rent a truck and move stuff once, if you need to.
    good luck with the new castle.
    Well, my wife does make a point that the house should come first, since it will cost ALOT more than the car. But you have to admit, that deal is like holding honey in front of a bear.

Odie
    Dude, your wife sounds like a real buzz killer hehe.

Mark.