Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Escape

Comments

• odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    It has to be the pregnancy horms... she is due July 4th. I try to stay outside away from the mood swings as much as possible, but I also try and make her as comfortable as possible.

Odie
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    Dude we have $7,000 in rebates on new Town Cars.
    well, the new vehicle purchease got put on hold till end of july. I feel it would be better to buy BEFORE a new child comes along so we don't need to drag a 3yr old and a newborn with us.
    Also... we have decided to write a list of 4 vehilces that each of us wants to look at and we each will scratch one off the others list.

My list as stands is as follows; (not in prefence order)
    1. Mazda 5 Touring
    2. Mazda 6 Sport Wagon
    3. Scion xB (loaded)
    4. Pontiac Torrent (may be replaced with Jeep Wrangler 4dr)

Her list that I know of;
    1. Honda Pilot
    2. Jeep Grand Cherokee
    3. Jeep Commander
    4. Saturn Vue Redline

At least I'm the one being sensible and trying to stay UNDER $28,000 (limit I set for price).

Odie :)
    Odie's Garage

This is my CarSpace site hosted by Edmunds.

Odie
  • escapenutescapenut Member Posts: 117
    Currently have 90K+ miles on the '01 Escape. Both engine and transmission seem to be holding up well. Admittedly, I haven't towed any trailers, boats, jet-skis, etc. with the Escape. I will probably start looking into purchasing another vehicle later this year. I am fluctuating on 2006 new(er) Escape, Tribute, Mariner models, or waiting until the '08 revemaped model(s) are brought-out with more powerful drivetrains. Not sure on this purchase if I want to go straight mileage or a mix of mileage and power. An E85 capable vehicle would be considered, but don't think I want to go hybrid yet though.
    I'm waiting on the introduction of the '07 Chevy Trucks to see what kind of mileage they get with DoD. Currently getting about 17-City and 22-25 Hwy. on the Escape, not bad, but the mileage for the 3.0 V6 has never been anything great. On the Freestyle 3.0 mileage is better, but I thnk the tranny is geared differently for better overall mileage.
    I just realized that the Freestyle has a CVT instead of a geared tranny. It would get better mileage because CVT's are designed for efficiency and mileage improvement over regular transmissions. Teamed with the 3.0 V6 it would gain about 2-3 mpg either way and this is what the numbers show.
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    I'm getting a solid 25mpg hwy mileage at 75mph on cruise, with my highest at 27mpg when driving 65-70mph on my Freestyle.
  • alicia5alicia5 Member Posts: 7
    Hi there ... I have a 2005 XLT 4WD. I love the truck and for the most part haven't had any major problems (yet). But it's making some weird jerky movements that I'm not certain if I should be concerned about.

When first starting the truck and moving from Park to Drive it takes what seems to me to be a long time to shift into Drive - and the truck jerks when the shift happens.

Then, once driving the truck jerks again when I step on the gas pedal. This usually occurs when driving more than 100km/h. It's almost like the truck's automatic shifting isn't keeping up with my use of the gas pedal. I keep thinking I could do a better job if it were a manual.

This could be perfectly normal - but I don't recall either of these things happening on my previous car.

Any help/advice would be appreciated!
    :)
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    I have to say the delay and then a jerk from Park to drive is not normal. I would take it in. Have you checked your transmission fluid level? You may just be low on fluid..
  • alicia5alicia5 Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for your help!

No, I haven't checked the transmission fluid. I can try that - I hope it's that simple! However, it's been like this since I brought it home the first time and I would have expected fluid levels to be things they'd check when they first gave me the truck. (Possible wishful thinking.)

If that's not the problem, I'll bring it in. :-(
  • mystiquemystique Member Posts: 24
    thinking about getting a front wheel drive escape with the 4 cylinder. I heard its a great engine. The duratec 4 cylinders are, in my oppinion, some of the smoother running fours around. I have driven a few in the focuses. Can someone tell me what i can expect as far as mpg, nvh, (in comparison to the focus or fusion) and is it going to feel peppy, again in comparison to the focus and fusion. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
    The 2.3 is made by Mazda, and yes, it is a great little engine. Far superior to the 2.0 Zetec first introduced into the Escape. It really depends on what you are going to use the vehicle for? Just a commuter? 4cyl automatic is a great choice. Sorry cannot tell you about how peppy it is, go take a test drive its free! :) Then let us all know what you thought...
    I find the FWD 4 cylinder to be adequate but just barely. The 4 cylinder 4x4 is a total DOG.

The 6 is very peppy.

Mark.
  • mystiquemystique Member Posts: 24
    it would probably be 4x2 auto. I will check it out this week.
  • cammogirl07cammogirl07 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 01 Escape xlt and it was at 98k when i started having jerky issues when i would drive the car for a little bit and stop at a light and then it would almost stall when i would push the gas pedal to go again. The o/d off light would start flashing too if I continued driving after it started acting up. Turned out that the torque converter had to be replaced. The tranny shop guy said that the gear would get stuck in neutral. He was also surprised that I had been driving with it like that because it can be kinda dangerous. Don't know if you already solved the problem, but thought this info might help if you hadn't.
    Kassandra
  • aunt_briaunt_bri Member Posts: 4
    I'm trapped in the war of the suv's and have narrowed it down between the '06 Escape XLT 4wd and the '06 Sportage EX with Luxury package 4wd. Any hints into which I should lean towards. I know I want something with alot of room and that will hold it's value the best!! I'm trading an '04 Aztek and I got burned!!!
  • douglas555douglas555 Member Posts: 2
    My Ford Escape has condensation on the passenger side headlight. Someone told me to drill a hole in the back of the headlight and that it would dry up? Anyone know if this is true? Would that affect the light at all? Any help appreciated.
    The headlight needs to be moistuer tight.

If you drill a hole, you will clear up the moisture but you will also cause your Halogen bulb to burn itself out.

Mark.
    I used to own an Escape XLT V6 and it was a great vehicle all 70,000 miles.. Go with the Ford.. in my opinion...
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,250
    i have a chart of all the tanks of gas. got the air filter replaced a couple of months ago. mileage took about a 6% jump.
    last time i did it, it did the same thing too.
    i'll just get it replaced every spring instead of every 15k, since it is only driven about 13k per year.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • asiandudeasiandude Member Posts: 13
    We're running a 2.3 XLT (4x4 auto) for about a year and though the car is basically fine, well built and finished, we've a couple of issues:
    1. The fuel consumption is terrible, about 8km/lt on mixed town and highway driving (my 4.0 G Cherokee isn't much worse!!)
    2. The auto gear change is very shifty and there is a delay on the 2 - 1 down shift so turning at an inter section makes the car jerk, engine rattle etc.
    Are these usual for the vehicle? The dealer doesn't give much help and the car is quite rare in this part of the world.
    Any feedback is gratefully rec'd.
  • kapmikekapmike Member Posts: 1
    Recently bought a 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid with a navigation system. Everything is great except the navigation system. The multiple disks are problematic if your route crosses regions but worse is that the system often thinks I am a little further ahead or behind my actual location. It then may tell me to make a U-turn because it thinks I missed an exit that I actually haven't reached yet, or it thinks I exited early (maybe even drove off the road). The problem is sporadic and eventually corrects itself (though once it lasted more than a day and over 100 miles). The GPS signal strength is strong and my Ford dealership's service department can not find a problem. Does anyone else out there have this problem and any ideas on the cause and solutions?

Thank you.
    It might help, if you only use the disc that has the DESTINATION you are trying to get to on it.

All of the discs have major roads for the whole country. Its the local roads for each region that are on the individual discs.

There really is no solution for this set up.

Mark.
  • shezabuteshezabute Member Posts: 2
    just out of curiosity, what did it run you for the egr valve? i'm having similar problems and don't want to get ripped off. thanks!
    My wife had our beautiful daughter on Sat June 24th at 9:10am. She weighed in at 6lbs 4oz. and just like mommy and older sister has red hair. :sick: I'm just hoping she doesn't have the temper to go with it. And then to add the topping on the cake.. my computer died monday morning and had to get a whole new system simply because my wife won't let me re-build it (again). Next comes the New house then we will start (again) looking at an Escape replacement.
    This short list now stands as; (not in any particular order)
    1. 2006 Mazda5 (possible 2007 model)
    2. 2007 Mazda CX-7 (wife like this)
    3. 2007 Ford Edge (if available)
    4. 2006 Ford Freestyle
    5. 2006 Honda Pilot
    6. 2006 Scion xB (I'm still holding onto this one)
    7. 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4dr (if available)

Odie
    Odie's Carspace
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Congratulations, Odie!! I hope mom and daughter are doing fine.

tidester, host
    Congrats on your daughter odie!
    The Mazda CX-7 is getting pretty good reviews around the net... :shades:
    yeah, I've been reading up on it, got to test drive before Sarah arrived. It is a nice vehicle, but the Premium Fuel is going to be it's downfall with my wife I'm afraid.

Odie
    Odie's Carspace
    Well, we decided to stop at the a Local Honda Dealer on the way home from Costco (with a full Load) with my Escape to look at an '06 Pilot (humoring my wife) and see what type of deal Mr. Opportunity would have for us. Long story short I bought a Amazon Green 2006 Honda Pilot EX for $20,250. And to make matters worse my slip of the tongue to my wife after her test drive named it, I asked her how she like 'The Beast' and my daughter turned around and said "New car named The Beast daddy?" The sticker was $30,250 and they knocked $1000 off to start, then gave me $9000 trade. The best part of the deal, was they threw in the entire towing package and pinstripping for free. After some negotiation we arranged payment's of $300 month for 5 yr. I can say I very happy, and cannot wait till Sat morning to pick-up 'The Beast'.

Odie
    Odie's Carspace

P.S. - We stopped for lunch at a Chinese restaraunt and I was surprised by the Fortune Cookie I had gotten. It read "Opportunity is knocking on your door - answer it tomorrow." My wife didn't see the irony in it, but I thought it was hilarious. And you know I'm gonna play the numbers on the back in the Powerball Sat night too. :shades:

P.S.S. - I will continue to watch this group because if a question should arrise about an '01 escape I might have an answer for you.
    Hey Odie, congrats on the Pilot... I'm going to win the Powerball... My wife won free tickets to anywhere this week from a radio station.. I'm feeling lucky ;)
    Opportunity is knocking on your door - answer it tomorrow.

Some "opportunities" are best avoided! :)

Regarding the PowerBall - I usually pick the RIGHT numbers but PowerBall always messes up and draws the WRONG ones.

tidester, host
    Man you were shopping for a long time.

BTW green pilots depreciate the fastest...

JUST KIDDING. GOOD LUCK MAN

Mark.
    When I get a nice and sunny day (tomorrow) I will snap a few pics and post them on my Carspace site. I know I was talking about trading for awhile, but mostly because it was my wife hounding me about it.

Odie
    Odie's Carspace
    I just added a bunch of pictures of 'The Beast' to my Carspace.

Odie
    Odie's Carspace
    Is that your WRX in the background? Lets see more photos of that!

Mark.
    nah, that's one of my neighbors 3 WRX's (best looking of the bunch).

Odie
    Odie's Carspace
  • tunagatortunagator Member Posts: 2
    Same problem same car. 2005 XLT 4x4 with 45k. Have vibration and clunk around 50-60mph and 2-2.5k on the tac. Scared and worried. Love to put about 175k on my vehicles, but thinking about getting rid of this one. Is it too late for extended coverage?

Please let me know how you do.

Charlie.
  • xingxingliangxingxingliang Member Posts: 1
    I just got a 2002 escape xlt, but I didn't get the manual. I'm just wondering what kind of the gas to fuel? Regular,Plus or Premium? Does the regular work well? Thanks!

It's a stupid question, but I really don't know it:(

Besides, when I checked the car the mechanic told me there are some oil leakage from the rear shocks. He said it's a very typical problem on escapes/tributes. I don't know how much I need to pay to replace them. Does anyone have similar situation?
  • yucaipayucaipa Member Posts: 2
    I have recently purchased a 2006 Escape XLT and I like everything about it except the seats. I am not a large person (5' 7" and 160 Lbs) but the driver's seat is very uncomfortable. Kind of like sitting in a vise. I traded a 2001 Mustang GT for the Escape and also am driving a 2004 Ford Focus at this time. I've never encountered car seats quite like the seats on this Escape. Has anyone else encountered this problem? I don't have 500 miles on this thing and I am thinking about getting seat cushions for it.
    Yes, even the Ford GT is tuned to run on regular.

Mark

(some lincolns are tuned for premium.)
    Regular gas should be just fine in the '02 Escape. It's worked fine for me for 5+ yrs. and 96.5K miles. However, I do add a high-quality fuel system cleaner/additive every 6-8K miles. No need for premium-fuel unless you want to pay 20-30 cents more per gallon.

If your Escape has over 60-70K miles and the rear shocks have not been changed, then, they probably need to be changed-out. Same with the front struts, but you may be able to get a few thousand more miles from them. I changed my struts and shocks at about 70K miles and it has helped. I went with Monroe Sensa-Trac for the struts up front and the shocks at the rear. I don't know how 'typical' it is on Escapes as opposed to other vehicles, but all vehicles struts and shocks will have to be replaced if one plans to keep a vehicle past 100K miles. It definitely improves driveability and handling. Typically it will cost about $400.00 - $600.00 to have them replaced depending on your own ability. I changed the rears out myself (it was kind-of a hassle, but did it in ~3-hours. Make sure you have all the right tools (sockets, wrenches, etc.) before you start. I believe the rear shocks were about $40.00 a piece, with the front struts running $75.00 a piece. I had a mechanic friend help with the struts, but the labor charge would be about $300.00 for the front struts alone, plus the front-end needs an alignment once the new struts are in. All-in-all in could be as high as $700.00, but probably cheaper if you buy the parts yourself and take them to a shop. Some shops will do this and not warranty the parts, just the labor. Typically shops get the parts just above cost and add 10-20%+ for their profit for the part. This is totally legal and legit as they are in effect guaranteeing the part for you. It may come out in the wash, as consumers don't get the same pricing a shops for auto-parts.
  • normkolnormkol Member Posts: 135
    When I got my 2002 Tribute w/leather seats, I hated them. Took a few months and they broke in, now I have taken several long trips and have no problems.

If your seats are leather, use a leather conditioner to softem them a bit.
    Visit this web site for some food for thought about gas.

www.toptiergas.com

Mark
  • yucaipayucaipa Member Posts: 2
    My seats are just regular Escape XLT cloth variety. I keep fooling with the adjustment in hopes that there is a secret comfort zone for bandy legged dwarves. So far it seems that maximum tilt forward and down gets close to tolerable. There's a lot to like about this Ford Escape but I'm really glad that my drives in it are limited to a 25 mile commute.
    Hi, everyone. As you've probably noticed, we have been trying to refine the discussions into more narrowly focussed topics. Our objective is twofold. We want to make it easier for people seeking specific information about their vehicles to find it easily and without having to wade through hundreds or thousands of postings.

To those ends, we will be shutting down the general make/model discussions and work exclusively with specific issues. This requires us to populate the make/model subsections with relevant, interesting and timely topics. Rather than having the hosts simply create boilerplate topics for each make/model, we feel that you, the owner, the make/model enthusiast and the prospective buyer can best judge what those topics should be.

You can help by adding a discussion (it's easy!) or suggesting one here.

To add a discussion, click on the last link in the "You are here" line at the top of this page. That will take you to the topic page for this make/model. Review the list of topics and click on the "Add discussion" link when you've decided what topic you'd like to add. Follow the directions and you're done! Feel free to add more than one. Just avoid duplicating existing topics and try not to make it TOO specific!

Your help and continued participation in the Forums is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    We pick up our new 2007 Escape Limited today or early tomorrow. Does anyone know the transmission ratios for the automatic in this vehicle? Haven't been able to find the ratios as yet.
    Thanks
    Bruce
    AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION SPECIFICATIONS
    Make/Type Ford (4-Speed Automatic Overdrive) (CD4E)(1)
    Ratios (to 1):
    1st 2.889
    2nd 1.571
    3rd 1.000
    4th — OD 0.698
    Reverse 2.310
    Converter 2.072
    Lubricant Capacity (pt.) 18.5 (12.3 Without Torque Converter)
    Helical Gears All
    Converter Size & Type 9.25″ Lockup

1. Includes auxiliary oil cooler.
    Thanks. Just what I needed.
    Bruce
    Well, I have looked and looked but I can't find the compass. My 2007 Limited is supposed to have a compass display in the info. center or the message center, according the the 2007 brochure. Is the brochure wrong? I can't find any reference to a compass in the owner's manual.

Bruce
    Compass never made it into the owner's Manual.

The compass desplays in the lower left of the message center, assuming there is no warning message displayed.

Its just a letter, N, S, E, W.

Its on the window sticker, so it dang well better be on the vehicle.

Mark.