Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 BMW 4-Series Lease Questions

Comments

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,896

@luvbav86 said:
    or should I push for more of a discount? not sure what invoice is, i'm assuming i'm close to invoice right now at 48.4k

8% off sticker is pretty good from where I sit.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• samosonsamoson Member Posts: 21

Not sure which discussion i should be in but I chose this one since I am looking to lease BMW. What are the advantages or disadvantages of finding a particular car on one dealers lot and trying to buy said car through another dealership? I found a 328i and do not want to deal with the dealership because of a bad experience. So can i got to dealer "down the road" and negotiate and buy through them?

@samoson said:
    Not sure which discussion i should be in but I chose this one since I am looking to lease BMW. What are the advantages or disadvantages of finding a particular car on one dealers lot and trying to buy said car through another dealership? I found a 328i and do not want to deal with the dealership because of a bad experience. So can i got to dealer "down the road" and negotiate and buy through them?

Dealers can trade cars with one another, but if the car you are interested in is the only one in the area, you may find it difficult to have a dealer trade with the "owning" dealer for it.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• tjacob86tjacob86 Member Posts: 12

@konacoug said:
    The tire and wheel insurance is a rip off , as well as the rest of the stuff. If they are selling it, it is for profit to them, not some great deal for you. You can insure your tires at Discount Tire for about $25 per tire. Most good auto insurance has no deductible windshield replacement. As far as the ding and dent insurance, from what I have heard it is very limited. BMW can not charge you for any dings smaller than a credit card. BTW, I was offered the tire insurance for $995, finance guy got pissed when I told him no to everything.

Why would u not take it for that low 995$, isnt it 400-500 to replace a run flat? and if so. dont eventually have to replace the tires due to wearing down the tread? not sensible to take if they give it for 1000?

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,527

The tire insurance won't pay for wearing out your tires. If you wear out your tires, you have to replace them.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• konacougkonacoug Member Posts: 196

@tjacob86 said:
    Why would u not take it for that low 995$, isnt it 400-500 to replace a run flat? and if so. dont eventually have to replace the tires due to wearing down the tread? not sensible to take if they give it for 1000?

Because, the tire insurance is only good for damage, not for wearing down the tread. A run flat should be about only $300 dollars, if you shop around. I live in Hawaii, the roads are fine, I have a 15 mile a day commute. But, when I live in the Phoenix valley, I had the older run flats, I did get a screw in the tire and it was fixed at Discount tire for $10.

Unfortunately, the finance guy is there to make a commission of the products he/she sells. They use ridiculous tactics trying to peddle their products. They act like the car is going to fall apart around you....

• tjacob86tjacob86 Member Posts: 12

I live in NY/NJ area and we have tons of potholes. especially this last winter went through 2 run flats on my audi. Can someone tell me if it is truly 300$ around this area to replace a runflat?

• doublebheredoublebhere Member Posts: 3

First time posting however I have been using this forum as a learning tool for a while and I appreciate the advice that is given by everyone here. Curious if this is a good deal on 2014 428I Xdrive. 36/12,000miles
    MSRP: $49,915 Sale price including an X-drive incentive of $1,000: $45,980 (acquisition fee included in price and I think its $725) 62% residual, .0015MF.
    Monthly payment of $620.86 with no MSD's and ZERO down (1st month due at signing) also tax of 8% is included in monthly payment. Thanks in advance!!

@doublebhere said:
    First time posting however I have been using this forum as a learning tool for a while and I appreciate the advice that is given by everyone here. Curious if this is a good deal on 2014 428I Xdrive. 36/12,000miles
    MSRP: $49,915 Sale price including an X-drive incentive of $1,000: $45,980 (acquisition fee included in price and I think its $725) 62% residual, .0015MF.
    Monthly payment of $620.86 with no MSD's and ZERO down (1st month due at signing) also tax of 8% is included in monthly payment. Thanks in advance!!

Using your numbers, I get a pre-tax payment of $532.97/mo. 8% tax takes the payment to $575.60.

I'd ask the dealer to run through the numbers again - they might need to sharpen their pencil a bit.

It should be noted that the MF is being inflated - .00130 is the base.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Besides the MF being inflated what else could they be adding on to inflate the price? Any suggestions as to how I figure out why the inflated payment?

@doublebhere said:
    Besides the MF being inflated what else could they be adding on to inflate the price? Any suggestions as to how I figure out why the inflated payment?

MF is the easiest way to inflate a lease payment. Watch for hidden fees, though in your case the acquisition fee is the base amount of $725.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• luvbav86luvbav86 Member Posts: 22

doublebhere, I am going through lease right now and your payment is higher than mine and your sale price is lower. The math doesn't add up.

• ny2cany2ca Member Posts: 9

@tjacob86 said:
    can anyone recommend a good dealer in NJ? 4 series GC

Can offer a great recommendation to one in CT

THANK YOU both Luvbav86 and Michaell!!!

anyone have any luck in asking the dealer to throw in winter mats? is that something I should do up front or wait until the day of signing the lease

@luvbav86 said:
    anyone have any luck in asking the dealer to throw in winter mats? is that something I should do up front or wait until the day of signing the lease

If you don't ask, you don't get. I don't think the timing matters.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• 2000se2000se Member Posts: 14

Hey peeps! I have a few questions...
    Here is what I know :
    2015 BMW 435i Convertible
    MSRP: 69,025
    Invoice: 63,445 (according to TMV)
    Neg. Selling Price: 64,195
    Term: 36m
    MF: .0013
    Residual: 63%
    Tax: 3%
    Payment: 737

With MSD's ~ 5250
    Payment: 682

My 1st question is, this pretty decent?
    2nd question is, I'd like to do a Euro Delivery. This is where I get confused. What percentage off of the car will I receive by taking an ED? And is that percentage off from MSRP or Invoice or Neg. selling price? I'm just confused on this part.

As always, THANKS!!!!

@2000se said:
    Hey peeps! I have a few questions...
    Here is what I know :
    2015 BMW 435i Convertible
    MSRP: 69,025
    Invoice: 63,445 (according to TMV)
    Neg. Selling Price: 64,195
    Term: 36m
    MF: .0013
    Residual: 63%
    Tax: 3%
    Payment: 737

With MSD's ~ 5250
    Payment: 682

My 1st question is, this pretty decent?
    2nd question is, I'd like to do a Euro Delivery. This is where I get confused. What percentage off of the car will I receive by taking an ED? And is that percentage off from MSRP or Invoice or Neg. selling price? I'm just confused on this part.

As always, THANKS!!!!

Leaving ED aside for a moment, when I use your numbers, I get a pre-tax payment of $662.48 for 36 months; with tax, I'm right at $682 as well. Looks to be a solid deal for a 2015.

My understanding of ED - and I'll let my co-host comment as well - is that you get a fixed amount off MSRP. Is that better or worse than your already negotiated price? I don't know.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

--> is that you get a fixed amount off MSRP. Is that better or worse than your already negotiated price? I don't know. <-- Yeah, I don't know either. I can't think it would be any better than like 7% off. If that's the case, then that changes the Neg. selling price from $64,195 to $64,193.25
    haha!!.. I was doing the math while typing...they match! Wow...well, seems the ED is a wash unless I just want to go. That is unless, the percent off is off the invoice (which I highly doubt).

@2000se said:
    --> is that you get a fixed amount off MSRP. Is that better or worse than your already negotiated price? I don't know. <-- Yeah, I don't know either. I can't think it would be any better than like 7% off. If that's the case, then that changes the Neg. selling price from $64,195 to $64,193.25
    haha!!.. I was doing the math while typing...they match! Wow...well, seems the ED is a wash unless I just want to go. That is unless, the percent off is off the invoice (which I highly doubt).

I think your dealer can give you the details of the ED pricing. Also, does BMW cover your airfare? Was looking at the Volvo program (wife wants a V60 as her next car) and they cover two r/t airfares to Sweden.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

@2000se said:

ED: negotiated price, but ED invoice is 7% lower, so you should be able to negotiate a lower price. Money factor is.0003 higher, but this is partially offset by one free lease payment.

No deals on airfare.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I'm hesitant to discuss anything regarding money with the dealer. I'm afraid I feel they only have thier best interest at heart (money). As far as airfare, I don't think BMW cover's that. They provide a discount though in tickets, I think.

@kyfdx‌ - oh, thats great news. Let me recalculate --

So if we assume that the _new _invoice price is $59,000 (original invoice $63,445 - 7%)
    Adding in the increase of the MF + .0003, and the new negotiated selling price is 61,195

Holding everything else equal. Pre tax payment comes to $608.12...sound about right?

I'll recap: w/ ED
    2015 BMW 435i Convertible MSRP: 69,025 Invoice: 59003 (according to 7% off for ED) Neg. Selling Price: 61,195 Term: 36m MF: .0013-.00049(MSD's) + .0003 (ED)= .00111 Residual: 63% Tax: 3%

With MSD's ~ 5250 Payment: $608.12 +tax

@2000se said:
    kyfdx‌ - oh, thats great news. Let me recalculate --

So if we assume that the _new _invoice price is $59,000 (original invoice $63,445 - 7%)
    Adding in the increase of the MF + .0003, and the new negotiated selling price is 61,195

Holding everything else equal. Pre tax payment comes to $608.12...sound about right?

I'll recap: w/ ED
    2015 BMW 435i Convertible MSRP: 69,025 Invoice: 59003 (according to 7% off for ED) Neg. Selling Price: 61,195 Term: 36m MF: .0013-.00049(MSD's) + .0003 (ED)= .00111 Residual: 63% Tax: 3%

With MSD's ~ 5250 Payment: $608.12 +tax

I agree with your math. And, $600/mo for a $70K car is a pretty sweet lease deal. If only I could convince my wife....

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Will dealers only give 7-8% off MSRP for 2014 models? I'm getting some BS that if I want the imperial blue in my specs, it'll have to be a 2015 and it'll be more expensive.

@Michaell said:
    I agree with your math. And, $600/mo for a $70K car is a pretty sweet lease deal. If only I could convince my wife....

Yes it is. The problem with this is that this is a best case scenario. I have not even approached a dealer with the deal yet...We'll see

@luvbav86 said:
    Will dealers only give 7-8% off MSRP for 2014 models? I'm getting some BS that if I want the imperial blue in my specs, it'll have to be a 2015 and it'll be more expensive.

2014 selection is getting limited as we near the end of the model year. I wouldn't expect the same level of discounting on the 2015's just yet.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• ash4421ash4421 Member Posts: 5
    edited August 2014

Thanks kyfdx and Michell for your help. I have 3 questions:

1) Generally speaking when is the best time to lease a given model year? Towards the beginning, middle or end of its life cycle? I assume availability would be better towards the beginning, but price would be better towards the end?

2) What if the 435i, plus the options, color, etc. I want is not available in dealers nearby? What will be my options at that point?

3) Any news on when 2015 435i will become available for lease? Any idea how MF and RV will compare to what's offered for 2014 models now?

Thanks!

@ash4421 said:
    Thanks kyfdx and Michell for your help. I have 3 questions:

1) Generally speaking when is the best time to lease a given model year? Towards the beginning, middle or end of its life cycle? I assume availability would be better towards the beginning, but price would be better towards the end?

There are pros and cons to any time of year. RV is the highest at the beginning of the model year, but discounts and incentives are their smallest. Reverse that at the end of the model year.

2) What if the 435i, plus the options, color, etc. I want is not available in dealers nearby? What will be my options at that point?

You can order from the factory and wait. The delay could mean a change in program terms from time of order to time of delivery.

3) Any news on when 2015 435i will become available for lease? Any idea how MF and RV will compare to what's offered for 2014 models now?

We have 2015 numbers already. What model, lease term and miles per year? MF is the same for 2014 and 2015 - .00130.

Thanks!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

I'm in the same boat...looking to order a 2015 vs. taking a 2014 off the lot. Reason being the quantities seem to be limited. Appears they only have red stitching on sports line models on the lot, and the only one has coral trim as well which i'm not fond of.

What are the terms for 2015 right now, and if i'm getting 8% off MSRP on a 2014, what should I be aggressive for on a 2015? Thanks!

@luvbav86 said:
    I'm in the same boat...looking to order a 2015 vs. taking a 2014 off the lot. Reason being the quantities seem to be limited. Appears they only have red stitching on sports line models on the lot, and the only one has coral trim as well which i'm not fond of.

What are the terms for 2015 right now, and if i'm getting 8% off MSRP on a 2014, what should I be aggressive for on a 2015? Thanks!

2015 models are going to be hard to bargain on.. 5% off MSRP might be the best you can do..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• ash4421ash4421 Member Posts: 5

Thanks Michaell. How can I order from the factory? Online or through a dealer? How would that affect my bargaining power knowing that I have shown greater interest by that move. Can I still walk out on them? :)

Can you give me the numbers for 2015 435i, 12k / year? Can I already order?

Thanks again.

Thanks kyfdx. After looking at some pics, realized the red stitching isn't that bad at all and the coral trim can be wrapped with some pretty sick carbon fiber wraps that look nice anyway (and can be removed from the car at end of lease.)

Now the only last thing is I want to sweeten the deal by asking them to add an alarm, throw in winter mats, and see if they can reduce some fees.

Right now i'm being asked for a $925 bank fee and $369 documentary fee. I am going to try for the $725 bank fee, but what is this $369 doc fee? Am I being ripped off?

ash4421, from my recent experience (in process of negotiations now), the best way to get a good deal is to go back and forth between some dealers and keep matching against each other. This is how I got an aggressive price. Be able to walk away from a dealer if they don't play ball, but you can always just go to another dealer. I did everything through email and phone, to save time. The problem with ordering 2015 right now is the fact that the dealers themselves are being given less incentives than the incentives they get to clear 2014 inventory. So you might want to seriously consider 2014 vs 2015..they are offering better RV terms and can give 8-9% off MSRP vs only about 5%.

• hardware2hardware2 Member Posts: 9

Got the following quote from dealer in NJ for a build your own 2015 435i. 52,100.00 MSRP, 61% residual, .00150 money factor. Money factor drops to .00101 w/ 7 MSD's. Monthly payments of 616.45 includes taxes. Thoughts please.

Sorry, forgot to say this is based on 10,000 miles/year and sale price is 49,550.00

@ash4421 said:
    Thanks Michaell. How can I order from the factory? Online or through a dealer? How would that affect my bargaining power knowing that I have shown greater interest by that move. Can I still walk out on them? :)

Can you give me the numbers for 2015 435i, 12k / year? Can I already order?

Thanks again.

.00130 and 60% for 36/12 on the 435i.

The dealer will help you place a custom order from the factory. And yes, you do lose a bit of negotiating power when you do so.

Having said that, I think you still have the ability to walk away from the deal right up until you sign the final papers. If the dealer has requested a deposit, you may not get that returned.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

@luvbav86 said:
    Thanks kyfdx. After looking at some pics, realized the red stitching isn't that bad at all and the coral trim can be wrapped with some pretty sick carbon fiber wraps that look nice anyway (and can be removed from the car at end of lease.)

Now the only last thing is I want to sweeten the deal by asking them to add an alarm, throw in winter mats, and see if they can reduce some fees.

Right now i'm being asked for a $925 bank fee and $369 documentary fee. I am going to try for the $725 bank fee, but what is this $369 doc fee? Am I being ripped off?

The doc fee is put in place by the dealer. They claim it's the overhead to process all your paperwork and that everybody must be charged the same amount. I would adjust the offer to offset this fee.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

@hardware2 said:
    Got the following quote from dealer in NJ for a build your own 2015 435i. 52,100.00 MSRP, this is based on 10,000 miles/year and sale price is 49,550.00. 61% residual, .00150 money factor. Money factor drops to .00101 w/ 7 MSD's. Monthly payments of 616.45 includes taxes. Thoughts please.

MF is marked up ... base is .00130 (.00081 after MSD).

Does the $49,550 include all the up front taxes that NJ charges?

Using your numbers as is, I get a pre-tax payment of $575.73 for 36 months.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Thank you for the reply. Should the residual be higher then 61%?

@hardware2 said:
    Thank you for the reply. Should the residual be higher then 61%?

36/10 residual for the 435i is 61%.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• speedster2014speedster2014 Member Posts: 10
    2015 435i 2dr, MSRP 60,025.00, price 55,590.00. Residual .62, 36 month, 12k, $1000 rebate, taxes (4%) and fees to be paid up front ($3573.00), $621/month. How does this original deal sound?

The dealer offered the rebate without telling me to sign up for some event online and show up, so now the 1000 rebate is no longer available. This means I would have to pay $4573.00 up front. Is this still a competitive price/deal?

I a bit bummed--on one hand I don't want to go through the process of renegotiating elsewhere if it's still a good deal. On the other hand, I want to rescind, get my deposit back, and order elsewhere just on principle. Thanks.
    MF was .00130

@speedster2014 said:
    2015 435i 2dr, MSRP 60,025.00, price 55,590.00. Residual .62, .00130 MF, 36 month, 12k, $1000 rebate, taxes (4%) and fees to be paid up front ($3573.00), $621/month. How does this original deal sound?

The dealer offered the rebate without telling me to sign up for some event online and show up, so now the 1000 rebate is no longer available. This means I would have to pay $4573.00 up front. Is this still a competitive price/deal?

I a bit bummed--on one hand I don't want to go through the process of renegotiating elsewhere if it's still a good deal. On the other hand, I want to rescind, get my deposit back, and order elsewhere just on principle. Thanks.

Base MF is being used, so that's a good start. Decent discount from sticker as well.

It's your money, vote with your feet if you want. No guarantee that you'll get the same deal at a different dealer, however.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Very helpful thanks. The residual is accurate?

@speedster2014 said:
    Very helpful thanks. The residual is accurate?

Actually, no. 36/12 residual on the 435i coupe is 60%; for the 435i Gran Coupe it is 62%.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Hi, got the following offer for a 2014 435i. 55,875.00 msrp sell price of 50,795.00 residual 62% and MF .00083 after 7 msd'S. Terms are 36 months 12,000 miles year. Lease price per month 558.00. Total due at signing is 6,200.00 with 4200.00 coming back at lease end. Does this sound like a good deal? Thanks for the help

@hardware2 said:
    Hi, got the following offer for a 2014 435i. 55,875.00 msrp sell price of 50,795.00 residual 62% and MF .00083 after 7 msd'S. Terms are 36 months 12,000 miles year. Lease price per month 558.00. Total due at signing is 6,200.00 with 4200.00 coming back at lease end. Does this sound like a good deal? Thanks for the help

With MF of .00081 (with MAX MSDs), I get $518/mo. plus tax. If your tax is around $40/mo., you are in good shape.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Thanks again for the help

• robphanzrobphanz Member Posts: 18

Hi all,

I am new to this so bear with me, I am looking at this current BMW lease deal for 2014 435i xDrive.

$489*/month for 36 months. $1,000 Build-Out Cash is included in payment.
    • $489 First months payment
    • $3,000 Down payment
    • $0 Security Deposit
    • $725 Acquisition fee
    • $4,214 Cash due at signing

My question is what would a reasonable negotiation be monthly with tax, title etc.. MSRP is 51,150 I believe. I would like to have 12K miles/36 months.

This discussion has been closed.