Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Entry Level Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729

My S4 has nearly 10,000 miles, and it's been to the dealer only for a free oil change once. Superb vehicle that I find to be significantly superior in both quality, performance, and price/value to other sport sedans on the market.

'15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,256

@dino001 said:
    Being manufacturer certified, they are on the hook, just the same as on a new car. They are not legally fully liable for dealer's misconduct, like not following the procedures, but there is some liability. If they are happy to collect franchise fees, they should assume part of responsibility what comes under their name. That being said, there is legal liability and there is smart business.

Not a lawyer or even an expert, but I'll disagree. It's just a used car. The only thing Honda has to do with it, is the extended warranty. Which,if they find out it doesn't qualify for, may rescind and refund the dealer.

They may pressure the dealer to make it right for the customer, but I doubt they have any legal obligations. (Which is probably what you just said..lol)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    edited August 2014

@andres3 said:
    My S4 has nearly 10,000 miles, and it's been to the dealer only for a free oil change once. Superb vehicle that I find to be significantly superior in both quality, performance, and price/value to other sport sedans on the market.<

Great tradition with the brand. Hope China's Geely keeps it that way.

• Options
    sweendogysweendogy Member Posts: 1,310

@carnaught said:

Think you are thinking Volvo, right?

• Options

Audi s3 now on usa website as you now build it out- a tick under 50k in the form I would want. No sport dif (maybe I'm missing it) which for me makes the s4 really ride on rails. Looks like the prem pack is prob the way to go as it packages more but what do I know. After sitting in the a3 I would def look at this car - looks well done.

• Options
    rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192

One of my local dealers [ north of Atlanta ] has started to receive S3s.

= Ray

On my list to test drive....

2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    flightnurseflightnurse Member Posts: 2,217

@rayainsw said:
    One of my local dealers [ north of Atlanta ] has started to receive S3s.

= Ray

On my list to test drive....

caranddriver.com/reviews/2015-audi-s3-sedan-instrumented-test-review-seamless-upshifts-page-2

Here is a review of a S3 from Car and Drive, in the article it says the S3 wont arrive in the US until Sept, this is why they are driving one from the UK... BTW, 0-60 in 4.4 sec? Not too sure how accurate this is, since it only makes 292 hp and weights 3300 lbs...

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,365

@dino001 said:
    Being manufacturer certified, they are on the hook, just the same as on a new car. They are not legally fully liable for dealer's misconduct, like not following the procedures, but there is some liability. If they are happy to collect franchise fees, they should assume part of responsibility what comes under their name. That being said, there is legal liability and there is smart business.

Agreed. But I've found-with CPO BMWs anyway-the better the dealer, the better the overall experience.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,949
    edited August 2014

@flightnurse said:
    Here is a review of a S3 from Car and Drive, in the article it says the S3 wont arrive in the US until Sept, this is why they are driving one from the UK... BTW, 0-60 in 4.4 sec? Not too sure how accurate this is, since it only makes 292 hp and weights 3300 lbs...

I think I can believe it only because the street start is so much slower (5.6) and a more accurate representation of the power/weight ratio it supposedly has. The 4.4 maybe involves launch control and obviously add the advantages of AWD and DSG.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    edited August 2014

' BTW, 0-60 in 4.4 sec? Not too sure how accurate this is, since it only makes 292 hp and weights 3300 lbs...'

I suspect that AWD helps here.

Also - actual EPA rating =
    City MPG:23 Highway MPG:31

[ Not 27, as listed in their test. ]

= Ray

Intrigued .....

2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    edited August 2014

Going to be interesting for bmw - this s3 getting good reviews-plus the a3 has a lot of us fans in 2.0 form. obv bmw has a nice stable but even the "el cheapo" (some people are calling it on Beemer fest) 320 is getting played here a bit-sure its a bmw but .... if price matters and enthusiasts like flight are getting base sudo lux sport cars in auto form then audi with its Quattro and competing pricing will surely put pressure on the old prop to get moving. Interesting times.......

• Options

I took a quick test drive in a new S3 this morning.. Initial impressions are quite positive. More later...

= Ray

Fun 'lunch break'!

2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    "Fun 'lunch break'"

Me too I went to chipotle
  • Options

This S3 checks most of the important boxes for me.

Car: 2015 S3, black on black, base suspension & 18” wheels / tires.

The TQ is everpresent and always available – offering instant thrust any time, even in higher gears. One of my top ‘requirements’. [ I am a Torque Addict. ] The 2.0L 4 cylinder [ highly boosted ] engine feels and sounds much smoother than the [ not nearly as highly boosted ] 2.0L in my 2013 GTI. Sounds, and feels and pulls ‘expensive’. Pulled cleanly and smoothly from low RPM and sounded eager to run all the way to the red line. I believe the C+D 12.9 sec. quarter mile result.
    [ Horsepower 292 @ 5,400–6,200 rpm
    Torque 280 lb-ft @ 1,900–5,300 rpm ]

The 6 speed DCT is very responsive and the shifts, both up and down are accomplished very quickly and with no interruption in power flow. RPM match on downshifts is flawless. The paddles are active at all times, another of my requirements.

I spent several minutes looking over the interior, while my sales contact was on a call. Everything = switchgear, surfaces, displays, etc. looked and felt of appropriately high quality. The seats were immediately comfortable and felt very supportive. They have the adjustable thigh support that I like. The front center armrest is adjustable up / down & fore / aft. A nice touch that I appreciate.

The handling, on several deserted curves, was quite confidence inspiring. No feel of front heavy weight distribution. The steering works well, for me. I was pleasantly surprised by the ride, given that this did not have the Audi Mag Ride, nor the 19” wheels & tires than are required with that option. It handled the occasionally broken and deteriorating sections of asphalt and concrete pavement I encountered very well, indeed. This could save me $1,500!

Overall, I was very impressed – and [ pending a longer test drive ] this has been added to my ‘short list’ of possible next car to purchase or lease. That list includes the BMW M235i.

One minor complaint – the interior rear view mirror is oddly small & oval shaped?

That’s about it, for me.

= Ray

Very enjoyably surprised & pleased with this Audi sport sedan . . .

2022 X3 M40i
  • Options

Ray, what was the sticker on the S3 you sampled?

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

Thanks, Ray!

2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    Thanks for review
  • Options
    edited August 2014

Sticker - not sure, [ it was not on the window, they typically remove & laminate them! ] but without the 19" wheels & Mag Ride pkg nor the 'Daytona 1 Pkg' [ that includes the 19s + special paint ], and I do not believe it had the B&O audio, but did have the MMI Nav @ $2,600 - and I think the Driver Assist @ $1,400 - so my guess is approx. $46K, including $895 Dest.

The one in the showroom had the Daytona 1, Nav, Driver Assist & a few port installed accessories = $49,765.

My current [ hypothetical] configuration is - + Driver Assist only = $43.4K.

[ Edit: + red or blue or silver paint = $44K ]

= Ray

Will certainly drive again, when I have a bit more time . . .

2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

A reporter would like to speak to a new car buyer who made their purchase through a longer term loan, 72 months or more. If you'd like to share your story, please send your contact info to pr@edmunds.com no later than Sunday, 8/24/14 at 10 a.m. PT.

• Options

I'm definitely not a "read tester"- the type who provide "expert" opinions on cars they haven't even sat in, so I relate the following with the understanding that I haven't driven either car.

I was thumbing through the June 2013 copy of the British magazine CAR and it contained a very positive review of the new S3. That review was followed by a comparison of the S3 to the Mk7 GTI with the Performance Pack(an extra 10 hp, better brakes, and an electronically controlled mechanical limited slip diff). The same guy(Ben Pulman) wrote both articles and he concluded that aside from the S3 being @1.5 seconds quicker in the 0-62 mph sprint, the GTI was essentially the equal of the S3 in all but the worst road conditions. Given the price differential, he would "...take the GTI every time."

In my case, it's rather academic, as I already have a FWD hot hatch with a true limited slip for semi-pro levels of hooning and I'm not at all interested in an AWD track toy, but I still found the articles to be illuminating.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    edited August 2014

Just had the 15,000 mile service on my '14 S4 S-Tronic. While in, I also had the tires rotated and was comp'd a set of $69 wiper-blades, causing the computer to spit out the admonition that these freebies were a one-time deal. The service manager's good will was somewhat offset by the wag of the computer's finger.

I had no expectation of free wipers, but appreciate them, since I replace them every 15K as a matter of routine.

Typical to the Audi powerplants, I am now enjoying the 10,000+ mile break in surge of power. The engine that keeps on giving now even shows 30 or more MPG's from time-to-time, beating my 2009 2.0T A4 (which had the 6-speed Tiptronic.)

After driving the S6 recently, I am still smitten -- were $'s no object. But, if you're considering a $55K+ ELLPS, you owe it to yourself to drive one of these -- other's may come close, but -- for the money -- this is THE one to beat. Of course this is certified, 100% bias-free fact based commentary.

Couple of program notes if you get serious about a 2015 S4:

If leasing go Premium+
    If buying at least consider Prestige

Get the full-leather seating
    Get the B&O sound-system
    Get MMI Plus
    Get Audi-side assist

Consider Audi-sport differential if you ever like to really carve into curves

Debate the merits of sticking with the 18" wheels -- even they come with 40Series tires -- ride improves, tires cost less, last longer -- and if you axe me, the OEM tires aren't the best anyway, so you'll want to consider replacing them. Of course the 19" wheels sure are purty.

The trim on the dash, doors etc, can be had in 3 flavors, look at examples of each, then decide.

Paint is expensive -- if on a budget (what am I saying) get one of the free colors.

The video reviews and Motor Trend says 0-60 4.4 sec. The S3 may equal it, but there are several reviews all over the web that claim the S4 is quciker than Audis published claims.

The Audi Connect is 3G -- it sucks (if it is T-Mobile) -- great concept, crappy execution.

Objectively ;) this is the best you can get, if you don't want to spend more.

If you want something for less $ that will satisfy your needs for speeds, etc, consider the Acura TLX V6 w/SH-AWD and in Advance trim -- consider it a bargain S4, sort of.

And: drive it like you live.

Remember, this post is certified 100% objective, there are no opinions, zero, zilch, nada in this utterance.

• Options

@carnaught said: "Geely"

Yikes!

Why in the wide wide world of sports are you talking about Geely and Audi in the same breath?

I do like Volvos -- but what is the relationship between Geely and Audi?

Say it ain't so.

• Options
    edited August 2014

Yep, it's the association of Geely and Volvo, not Audi. No tachycardia intended :).

• Options

I just went back to audiusa to price the s4 out- I think for 45k you can get a hell of a machine- b&o sound (a must) and nav pack plus I would need to get better color body and spring for the German color charge. All other items are nice but not needed. The bmw 328 and "el cheapo" 320 should bring the bang soon with more power, and I'm sure they will. The Japanese need to also act quick- as Americans will follow the German badge to sudo lux unless they are offered more. Interesting stuff

• Options

$45K?

Looks like the S4 MSRP starts @ $48,400?

2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,319

@rayainsw said:
    $45K?

Wondering if it was supposed to be S3, not S4.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options

@rayainsw said:
    $45K?

yeah the S3 - the car you have been talking about above- sorry for the typo

• Options
    edited August 2014

Personal Preference Speaking Here:

I do I do I do really like the A6 family (espcially the S6) -- the current A6 is, IMNSHO, a looker from the outside and MOSTLY on the inside.

A few years ago, pre-widespread implementation of nav systems in the LPS and ELLPS classes, Pioneer electronics offered a replacement head-unit for many cars, Audi being among them.

The thing looked pretty standard, seemed to fit in nicely with the rest of the car (this was back in the days when Audi cars came with Blaupunkt head-unit systems), at least as nicely as the Audi OEM units.

The Pioneer solution included sat nav. The way it worked was to seemingly eject a rectangular panel horizontally and then articulate the panel (the screen), by 90 degrees.

At the time, I thought, "Gawd that looks soo after-market" -- they (meaning Audi) need to inegrate the navi screen into the dash, not copy this fugly looking contraption. Once Audi abandoned the very small navi screen between the tach and speedo and went with a 7" widescreen aspect ratio built into the dash, I thought we'd taken a big step forward in interior design.

BTW, why buy one of these $50K cars without navi, etc and smack a Tom Tom or Garmin unit onto a patch of Velcro every-time you get in the car? Or even more inexplicable, why buy one of these high-buck cars without nav and then spend a king or queen's ransom to retro-fit the OEM nav system (literally for double the cost of getting it on the car in the first place)?

Virtually all the car-buff magazines agreed -- for years and years -- "No one does interiors better than Audi."

I got my 2005 A6 with all options, meaning the built in screen was present and accounted for, acting as my navi screen, as well as radio screen, telephone screen, etc etc etc.

As an aside -- I've had BlueTooth for 10+ years and I saw a Honda commercial last night on TV where you'da thunk the new 2015 Honda Civic "now with bluetooth" was making some cutting edge revelation. What's that about? I mean, seriously, I've had bluetooth for over 10-years and it is being touted as some great new feature that should make you want to consider a new Honda "as if" the thing is a leader in Automotive Electronics.

My 2009 A4 had an upgraded and improved version of the 2005 A6 dash and, of course, added a back-up camera (which didn't come to the A6 until the 2006 model year). Don't get me started again on Honda's cutting-edge inclusion of a back up camera on a 2015 car "as if" it was the second coming!

Then, I start looking at the new A6's that came into the showroom in 2012 and they had that damn Pioneer aftermarket screen protruding out and up EVERY time you started the car. The salesperson says "OK, if you don't like it, you can push a button to keep it hidden." Sure you can, but you'll miss radio info, telephone info and also other key information that is displayed and is to be acted upon from time to time -- so, you can't really keep that stick-em-up screen hidden since it is one of your key components for management of some of the cars systems.

That damn pop-up aftermarket looking thing was/is one of my pet peeves about the then (2012) current CTS -- but at least Cadillac had some of the data visible when the screen was in its retracted position.

It looks even worse on the A3, since the dash is soo plain (barren from the middle to the passenger side, really.)

The Macan, TODAY, has taken over for the best NEW dash, if you axe me. Audi needs to get rid of that protuberance in the A6 and A3 right away, like NOW. The A4 and A5 (for 2015) dash may be a bit dated, but it is crisp and clean compared to what seems to pass these days as modernistic. Audi, look at the Macan's dash from the perspective of a front seat occupant -- that should be YOUR dash-look.

"You cursed brat! Look what you've done! I'm melting! melting! Oh, what a world! What a world ..."

:o

What time is it now? Oh who cares -- it must be 5 o'clock SOMEWHERE.

Anyone care to join me?

Cheers and beers.

• Options
    m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    edited August 2014

Why so shocked that a $50k car had something well before it became standard in a $18k car? Isn't that part of the reason luxury cars cost so much more.....cutting edge tech, quality materials and driving experience? I think the Civic had bluetooth available for some time but now it is standard. Hence the commercial.

• Options

@m6user said:
    Why so shocked that a $50k car had something well before it became standard in a $18k car? Isn't that part of the reason luxury cars cost so much more.....cutting edge tech, quality materials and driving experience? I think the Civic had bluetooth available for some time but now it is standard. Hence the commercial.

I could not agree more, with all the car's I rent I find it interesting that some "features" that are in the Altima, Accord, 300's and now the new 200 (just rented my first MY 2015) you can't get in the 50K cars. Not too sure why these cars have a Pandora app built into the radio, when you can stream it through bluetooth from your phone. Regarding bluetooth my 2005 330i had it but was very basic and it was only for the phone.

• Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    edited August 2014

@flightnurse said:
    Not too sure why these cars have a Pandora app built into the radio, when you can stream it through bluetooth from your phone.

It's two-fold. First, it's safer to navigate the Pandora app through the vehicle's infotainment center than it is to try and control it through your phone. Voice controls and steering wheel controls reduce the need to pick up the phone to use Pandora. Second, it's a marketing push. With Pandora in the infotainment system like Sirius/XM and terrestrial radio, you are more prone to use it which shows greater users/ratings and allowing them to sell higher priced advertising.

I have Pandora on my phone and never use it in the car. It's too much of a pain to use the phone while driving a stick shift in the city.

• Options
    edited August 2014

Most of the technologies that surprise and sometimes shock me for coming to the party so late are very inexpensive (and have been for some time).

I can actually understand why ABS took a long time to "trickle" down. But, according to so many "experts" the single most valuable technology to come along is/was the electronic stability program (ESP) -- or just stability control. Once ABS is in place (my first car with it was built in 1986) adding ESP is relatively inexpensive. Yet it took perhaps 15 years to get it into "mainstream" cars even though it had been proven to be a life saver and a money saver since it was almost magical in its ability to help a driver avoid an unwanted crash (as if there are "wanted" crashes, eh?).

Same with the backup camera -- cheap to implement and very valuable.

Wait a minute, now I remember my dealer telling me that ESP was a $550 option for a couple of years on Audi products and that sunroofs were $1,250 (and not actually used that much), but that people would almost always opt for the sunroof they'd use twice a year and omit the ESP charge proclaiming "It's just an electronic nanny, I don't need it."

In short, @m6user and @flightnurse: Point taken!

?'s

Has Congress finally passed the "mandatory" back-up camera bill they've been promising?

Oh, btw, I do see an abundance of folks driving cars (that I know have bluetooth) with phones pressed against their heads, all while driving one-handed or with their heads cocked to keep the phone from falling. Why wouldn't you use bluetooth if you had it?

Inquiring, confused minds want to know.

• Options

@markcincinnati said:

Has Congress finally passed the "mandatory" back-up camera bill they've been promising?

Yes. The requirement was supposed to be implemented by 2011. But the DOT filed for extensions - presumably on the behest of industry. Now all vehicles under 10,000 lbs. built after May 1, 2018 must be equipped with a back up camera.

• Options

@robr2 said: Now all vehicles under 10,000 lbs. built after May 1, 2018 must be equipped with a back up camera.

2018?! what a joke!

• Options
    edited August 2014

Mark...there was some auto company (probably more than one) who probably protested, stating how difficult and costly a back up camera would be to integrate into all of them, rendering their models uncompetitive price wise. Or, that their so called research stated the public didn't want back up cameras.

So, NATSB probably said...OK, we'll give you 4 years.

Sounds familiar....we heard that about airbags a couple of decades ago, too.

• Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506

It's quite clear that Mark's business fortunes are looking up.

It's a good thing -- things got quite quiet for a number of years around here.

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    edited August 2014

Biz (software sales and services) has, in 2014, improved greatly. But it's still not back to the good old days, and you cdnpinhead?

The light at the end of the tunnel now appears NOT to be an on-coming train!

Woo Woo.

Back to cars!

Adding a backup camera would cost something, sure, I get THAT -- but the cost would be passed on to the consumer and probably with at least a penny profit.

I know it may sound like blasphemy, but I'm really curious about the new 2015 Genesis 4-door sedan. Priced here in the ELLPS pack, certainly doing a great cover as an ELLPS (wishing they were, I assume, an LPS, which won't be too much of a stretch over the next few years, I'd imagine).

If I thought I could count on any of y'all to start mass quantities of test-drives, I'd pass on doing that, at this time.

My wife and I must be outliers -- test driving is a serious hobby for us; and it is free, and about every 36 months we drop about $100K or more on a couple of new cars, and the dealer group we use to take our test drive adventures knows it, so there's always a willingness to let us go out and explore.

Seems like a decent number of folks here probably do the same thing in terms of being in the market -- but y'all (and I grant I could be wrong) don't seem to be taking out the latest and greatest to see what's what.

Think of it this way -- a new restaurant comes to town; I'm assuming most (51%) folks here eat out -- A LOT -- well you probably give the new eatery a go. The characteristics of the ELLPS and LPS "buyers" is (I've assumed with the data points y'all share here) would seem to indicate you're -- most of you anyway -- auto mavens (experts or connoisseurs). You like to "dine" (drive) the new restaurant (auto). True dat?

I also assume y'all subscribe to at least two of the "big" car magazines and devour them both in print and on-line.

Well the challenge I'll throw out -- and there is no prize for winning -- is to get into the new cars and drive them, then sign on here and tell us a story, whet our appetites for all things automotive (or at least ELLPS and/or near-LPS). Make the others here -- force or compel the rest of us -- HAVE to take out the car you drove to experience it for yourselves.

Even if it's not an Audi.

B)

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,557

Navi is just not a big deal to me. I so rarely use it that my garmin is more than enough. Plus my wife can program while we are moving!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options

This is a big tent, we do have room for Neo-Luddites -- and smart alecs (like me).

I must have something wrong with me -- for I use my nav system every day, every single day. I leave for work in the AM and I punch up my nav system, set the scale to 4 miles, which is enough to capture two Interstate highways that I may have to travel.

Wait 5 seconds.

The screen paints a series of red, yellow or green outlines along either the north/south or east/west route that I must travel to get from sub-urban Cincinnati to the CBD (where I need to be). If I see too much red painted on the Interstates (275 or 71), I know things are gonna be s=l=o=w so I take a secondary road route -- and I often try multiple routes and ask the navi lady to help me.

I also ask the system to give me an approximate arrival time.

Hell, I play with all this stuff and wish there was more tech to assist me in my journey.

To each his / her own -- but the thing is, increasingly, the buyers of ELLPS's and LPS's take for granted that their vehicles will come with nav and a lot of other driver aids.

I was in a meeting in Lexington KY (80 miles south of Cincinnati) the other day -- we were discussing an upcoming meeting and the client made the assumption that I would just input the address into the car's nav system (he knew not anything about my car), so he didn't give me directions, he just gave me the street and number of the destination to plug into my nav.

A Garmin certainly works fine, folks often say they are superior to the factory systems (other than not being integrated with the rest of the car's "avionics".) It is just a preference (of mine) to have everything built in.

Hence my frequent close: Drive it like YOU live. I submit, however, that all of this tech will soon, soon, soon be standard and that there will be a bunch of new tech none of us have even imagined, yet.

Besides, I wouldn't pull over and ask for directions or attempt to use a map, if threatened with pain and death.

;)

• Options
    justg0justg0 Member Posts: 70

I use Navi too - but not the factory installed as they get outdated and are not as good as Google Maps. Google Maps on my Android device automatically picks the best route for me out of the possible 3 options I have to work based on the traffic conditions. And it keeps recomputing in realtime as I am driving. It tells me if alternate routes will be X minutes faster or slower. Maps are always up-to-date. It has information of road closures, accidents, everything I need.

And since it is on my phone or my computer (same Google maps), I can lookup the route beforehand to plan ahead and I see the same route in my car.

With Ok Google Now, I rarely need to type in the address or destination. The voice recognition is pretty good and I can lookup and navigate to addresses and destinations.

The phone connects via Bluetooth so all the voice turn-by-turn directions are played via the car speaker system. If I have music playing (again via bluetooth audio), it will pause the music to speak out the directions.

And all of this is Free.

I don't think I can every go back to factory installed navi.

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095

I tried using the maps on my iPhone but couldn't figure out how to use it. Call me Luddite.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    edited August 2014

@markcincinnati said:
    Biz (software sales and services) has, in 2014, improved greatly. But it's still not back to the good old days, and you cdnpinhead?

Kind of you to ask.

I am at the other end of the entrepreneur scale from you. In a previous life I was self-employed (owner-operator driving a KW), but for the 30+ years since I've been working for "the man" in the form of an international conglomerate. I balance my 401K once or twice a year and my finances look pretty good, compared to the high-flyers over the years.

I enjoy driving more than I do cars (in the art form, keep them polished but never dirve them sense), and my work allows me to do so, at their expense.

I could have retired three years ago and continued to draw as much money as I do now, but I've chosen to continue to work. This puts more into the 401(K), as opposed to taking it out, and keeps me entertained. There's nothing quite like working in an environment in which I could quit at any time, and the supervision knows it.

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options

@justg0 said:
    I use Navi too - but not the factory installed as they get outdated and are not as good as Google Maps. Google Maps on my Android device automatically picks the best route for me out of the possible 3 options I have to work based on the traffic conditions.

Now I'm not too sure how Audi or MB does it, but BMW uses Google Maps. In Google Maps on-line you can save the route you choose and have it sent to your BMW (car has to have Navi and BMW assist), it's a pretty slick system they have, you can set it up to go from Point A to B to C to D if you like. The dealer has shown Rick this since it will help him with clients showing multi houses.

• Options
    Nav discussion - interesting - I have had nav on both the g and now the audi- the g's touch screen and interface better - audi crisper (it's 7 yrs newer, dah!) and has the google integration - BUT I still use my phone more then factory- to all I recomend an app called WaZe. They were recently bought by google (a yr ago)- it uses real time driver info from users and the reporting is via users. Gives info on traffic, weather, potholes and best of all Cop locations. It reroutes on the fly- like if there is an accident 2 exits away it will tell me to get off and take service streets - wicked smart. As I sit here there are 7500 users near by with 2300 reports this am, and 50 million worldwide users according to forbes.
  • Options
    edited August 2014

@cdnpinhead said:
    I could have retired three years ago and continued to draw as much money as I do now, but I've chosen to continue to work. This puts more into the 401(K), as opposed to taking it out, and keeps me entertained. There's nothing quite like working in an environment in which I could quit at any time, and the supervision knows it.

I have 8 days left- spread out over the next 4 months and then I can consider myself fully retired. Like you, I will probably pick up a part-time job, if only to allow me to pour more money into my HPDE fund. Every year I get 10 or more invitations to instruct at tracks all over the southeast and the only things that keep me from accepting most of them is time-which will no longer be an issue-and money(for brakes, tires, motels, etc.).

• Options

Mark....I think we all are in the same boat. We like cars so much, we'll test drive them....well, just because. Plus, I'm lucky enough to be on enough car lists that the manufacturers seem to be sending me $25-$50-$100 gift cards just to stop in their dealerships. I oblige them.

The inherent risk (and the dealers who know me, know this) is that I fall in love with something. Before you know it, out comes the check book. So, I try to temper what I drive, and when. If property taxes are due, that's a good time to test drive. I'm less likely to pull out the checkbook (which would be severely depleted at that time.

I did look at the new '15 C300 at my nearby Benz dealer. My sister bought a car there ('14 C350). Nice interior. Dealer wanted to go for a spin. I said "no". Pretty inside. But, $50K? For a relatively mundane 4 cyl with middling power? Can't see it, at least not on my watch.

RB....do you go to Mid-Ohio much?

• Options
    justg0justg0 Member Posts: 70

@flightnurse said:
    In Google Maps on-line you can save the route you choose and have it sent to your BMW (car has to have Navi and BMW assist), it's a pretty slick system they have, you can set it up to go from Point A to B to C to D if you like

Yeah, I had that in my previous BMW and used that quite a bit. Even though its Google Maps, doesn't look like they get updated automatically like they do on the phone. Still Send to Car option is convenient.

This time I want without a navi and am glad I did. Now I like it so much that when I drive my Acura with built in navi, I still use the navi on my phone.

@sweendogy said:
    Nav discussion - interesting - I have had nav on both the g and now the audi- the g's touch screen and interface better - audi crisper (it's 7 yrs newer, dah!) and has the google integration - BUT I still use my phone more then factory- to all I recomend an app called WaZe.

I will have to give WaZe a try. Looks like Google is incorporating their technology in Google Maps as I have found it's route and traffic info to be quite accurate, even for smaller streets.

• Options
    edited August 2014

Mass DOT has implemented a system similar to Waze on major highways. Starting in 2012, the state set up Bluetooth readers and message boards. It's called Go Time. They anonymously read Bluetooth devices in your car and measure when you get to other readers to estimate how much time it is between set points. That information is sent to the message boards and to an app called RTTM.

And it does all that without any interaction from the user or Waze's silly icons.

One can use the message boards to plan your drive or check the RTTM app on your phone. I'd like to see something like this expanded to nav systems.

• Options

@graphicguy said:
    RB....do you go to Mid-Ohio much?

Only twice, but It's one of the tracks I get invited to. My next stop is the new track at the Corvette Museum in Bowling Green KY.

• Options
    @‌robr2

Like everything in mass this will be slow - as this is a 2012 announcement, and they have not marketed an app or website. tsure they have signs everywhere and they do have real time traffic to certain exits on highways but this does not help in planning a trip. So it's great when you are already sitting in traffic and it tells you it's 30 mins to go another 10 miles, :(

WaZe uses users speed and not just interactions - but the interactions are what make it better- "Police Ahead" helps and will never be integrated with MassDot