Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,341
    edited September 2014

@stickguy said:
    Well, I doubt you would toss the keys to either of those cars to your daughter (assuming for a second that your son was a girl!) to take the 8 hours to school and back as needed.

I'd let him take the Wrangler-he likes it, the issue is lack of secure cargo space-and the only reason he didn't take the '02 is its lack of A/C...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,257

@Mr_Shiftright said:
    That black stuff is just a thick layer of dust. As I was examining the car, one of the owner's many cats brushed my ankle. I looked over to give it a gentle shove with my foot and looking up at me was a skunk! I just turned the light on him slowly and he ambled off.

This has been a weird day :)

Wow, Shifty. Amazing that cars get abandoned and forgotten about like that. I remember those bulb indicators on the fenders--later, my grandparents' Buick Park Avenues had them on the dashboard and another set for the tail/brake lamps above the rear window. I wonder how many of those late-80s era electronic gadgets are still fully functional today?

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,637

@Mr_Shiftright said:
    Anybody want a 1979 Cadillac Seville with only 25 miles on it?

And just when I had my low milage fetish under control!

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,371

@breld said:
    I want this bad, but don't have the appetite for spending the money right now.

ZHP Vert

Not priced all that bad considering the miles and presumably good condition - it's at the dealership where three of our BMWs have come from. If they price gets reduced to somewhere in the $15k's, I'd be tempted, but I don't think it will last that long (its' a one-price dealership).

Later to the party here, but that's awfully nice. Not 17k nice though. I think you are spot on around the 15k mark and that would be OTD,

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,926

certainly with the prices of old SLs these days, that has to be well worth saving. The Caddy? I dunno, what is the greatest possible up-side on that if it was cleaned up and ready to go? $7k?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192

Is that SL a 280?

2022 X3 M40i
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,074

@Mr_Shiftright - is that Seville one of the ones that is pale yellow both inside and out?

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

@ ab348 -- yes, it is the pale yellow one---does that make it somehow special? Why did you mention that?

@rayainsw -- nope, it's a 230SL, which is considerably "plainer" (some enthusiasts might say "more pure") than the 280SL in its trim and options. Doubt it's a 5-speed. I have never seen a USA 230SL 5-speed, or any USA SL 5-speed for that matter.

@gbrozen--- yes, the SL is worth saving, even though I suspect that by the time you're done, you'd be lucky to break even. The Seville? I dunno, what's such low mileage really worth? You can buy these cars almost pristine for $10K.

If I owned the Seville, I'd just tow it to shows just like you see it in the photos, dirt and all, and collect my trophies for "most original"---ain't nobody gonna beat me in that category!

The story I got was that these two partners decided that the '79 Seville was going to be the last of that breed of car (they got that part right) and since they already had a Seville and loved it, why then let's spend another $16,000 for another one to keep around. Well, apparently the bloom came off the rose and nobody got around to starting up the new one, so it sat, and sat, and sat---they both had other cars, and they were renovating a house in a once-scary neighborhood, so they had their hands full with security, etc. The Seville just got deep-sixed way in the back of a basement garage in an old old house---dirt floor, exposed floor joists up top, spiders, rats, skunks, dampness, you name it.

It was nasty in there. I was sneezing for two hours, practically burned by clothes and took two showers. And yeah, for that story, it was worth it! :)

Also there was an old Model A Ford, along with the beat-up Jaguar S Type and the SL.

I should preserve this whole scene as a test to see if someone is cured from Classic Car Chronic Buyer's Disease (CCBD--strikes one in five American families).

We got your German iron, we got your American iron, we got your modern "fixer-upper", we got your iconic antique. A virtual banquet of money-pits for the discerning lunatic.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,074

@Mr_Shiftright said:
    @ ab348 -- yes, it is the pale yellow one---does that make it somehow special? Why did you mention that?

Well, aside from the fact that nobody produces pale yellow cars anymore, making it unique in that regard, the one I am thinking of also had pale yellow leather and trim INSIDE - even more unusual. How rare they are I do not know. But can you imagine? A car with a virtually all-yellow interior? I would love one of those. :)

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

edited September 2014

Yes, inside was pale yellow also. I already nicknamed it the Banana Boat.

'the beat-up Jaguar S Type' ?

Did I miss this in earlier comments?

Year? Condition?

2022 X3 M40i

Oh I didn't want to fill this topic up with too much stuff. That was a 2000 Jaguar S Type (aka a Lincoln LS)--pretty much a beat up nothing car with body damage, high miles and christmas lights across the dashboard on start-up.

Ah - I had a Y2L LS V8, as it happens...

Thanks

2022 X3 M40i
  • breldbreld Member Posts: 6,709

I don't know Stick - I had a Camry for a rental a couple of months ago. Quite a bit of seat time in it as I drove from Austin to Dallas. It's certainly a competent car, but lives up to its reputation as being pretty vanilla. Given your enthusiast tastes, I'd definitely push hard on the Accord. Be upfront with the dealer and let them know that you like the Camry and are ready to go with it, but would prefer the Accord if they can be competitive. I just can't imagine the rates are all that different, given how competitive they need to be with the Camry.

I wish I had done that back when I got the Passat, as I preferred the Accord. Of course, that's all water under the bridge at this point.

Just don't want to see you get into the Camry only to realize after a few months that you would've preferred something else.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

And stick - thanks posting your impressions on the new Legacy - I'm starting to see quite a few of the new Legacy's around here (not surprising, given the market for Subarus here in CO) - I thought it was pretty plain when I saw it earlier in the year at the car show, but they're catching my eye now. Just can't always immediately tell them apart from the new redesigned Sonata yet.

Look forward to hearing NYC's impressions too. Seems like that may be a nice fit - something more distinctive than the Camcords, but still reasonable in pricing.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,489

Might have to hit up Honda. Especially after discussing with wife and deciding that a lease is ok. Of course, keeping the old TL would be cheaper!

I never heard back with Camry lease quotes. That guy is off today I think. But spoke to sube guy and am waiting for a number.

I have decided that if doing this, I want a few more goodies. Roof and XM. Gotta have my moonroof! So options now are a Camry xle, accord ex and legacy premium plus roof. All cloth, and pretty comparable equipment. Curious to see how lease offers fall. Legacy should be about $275 or so. Doubt the other 2 could be much lower.

Honda dealer tonight!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Oh, thanks for talking me down. Just in case I would have regretted it!

Oh, the grand plan to get a new car while saving money? Lease no money down. Sell both older cars. Use proceeds to pay off the RDX and it's 4% interest rate. Save $150-$200/month in cash flow on payments. Cut fleet by 1 if I don't keep TL. Get all cars in garage. Worry about the future son either time!

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,963

I give a strong endorsement for the Accord. As of this Friday it will be one year since I drove home in a 2013 EX. I could not be happier. It is a nicely balanced car that is very satisfying to drive and own. My commute is 80 miles each day so I have 23000 miles on it and have consistently averaged 34 mpg. Granted this is a lot of highway and rural driving, but still gets in the high 20s around town. Plenty of power, cold a/c, important in the Charlotte area, no build issues, roomy and comfortable. The only thing I wish it had was a leather wrapped steering wheel. I took care of that with a leather covering from Wheelskins. I, too, looked at and drove a 2013 Camry XLE and was working a deal to buy. At last moment they added $1100 worth of mark ups which they wouldn't reverse so I walked. That ticked me for a moment and glad that happened as my experience buying the Accord was straight forward with no tricks and I couldn't be happier. Two thumbs up for the Accord!

@stickguy said:
    Might have to hit up Honda. Especially after discussing with wife and deciding that a lease is ok. Of course, keeping the old TL would be cheaper!

I never heard back with Camry lease quotes. That guy is off today I think. But spoke to sube guy and am waiting for a number.

I have decided that if doing this, I want a few more goodies. Roof and XM. Gotta have my moonroof! So options now are a Camry xle, accord ex and legacy premium plus roof. All cloth, and pretty comparable equipment. Curious to see how lease offers fall. Legacy should be about $275 or so. Doubt the other 2 could be much lower.

Honda dealer tonight!

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

@Mr_Shiftright said:

rayainsw -- nope, it's a 230SL, which is considerably "plainer" (some enthusiasts might say "more pure") than the 280SL in its trim and options. Doubt it's a 5-speed. I have never seen a USA 230SL 5-speed, or any USA SL 5-speed for that matter.

gbrozen--- yes, the SL is worth saving, even though I suspect that by the time you're done, you'd be lucky to break even. The Seville? I dunno, what's such low mileage really worth? You can buy these cars almost pristine for $10K.

If I owned the Seville, I'd just tow it to shows just like you see it in the photos, dirt and all, and collect my trophies for "most original"---ain't nobody gonna beat me in that category!

The story I got was that these two partners decided that the '79 Seville was going to be the last of that breed of car (they got that part right) and since they already had a Seville and loved it, why then let's spend another $16,000 for another one to keep around. Well, apparently the bloom came off the rose and nobody got around to starting up the new one, so it sat, and sat, and sat---they both had other cars, and they were renovating a house in a once-scary neighborhood, so they had their hands full with security, etc. The Seville just got deep-sixed way in the back of a basement garage in an old old house---dirt floor, exposed floor joists up top, spiders, rats, skunks, dampness, you name it.

It was nasty in there. I was sneezing for two hours, practically burned by clothes and took two showers. And yeah, for that story, it was worth it! :)

Also there was an old Model A Ford, along with the beat-up Jaguar S Type and the SL.

I should preserve this whole scene as a test to see if someone is cured from Classic Car Chronic Buyer's Disease (CCBD--strikes one in five American families).

We got your German iron, we got your American iron, we got your modern "fixer-upper", we got your iconic antique. A virtual banquet of money-pits for the discerning lunatic.

Dirt floors? Forget it, those cars would be all rust underneath from the moisture.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

Got first # over the phone on the Subaru. No context (just a number in space) and about $35 more than I was thinking. So not too bad for a first shot.

Also heard from Toyota rep. 36/36 lease on an LE w/alloys, MSRP 24,959, with 1k drive off and $233/mo inc. tax. Reminding me why I was looking at them! Though getting a more loaded legacy for $40/month more seems good to me.

Waiting to hear back on the xle #, and see what happens at Honda tonight.

Update: can lease a Camry, base XLE, sticker $26,900+/-, 1k at inception, 35 payments left at $248.48, inc. tax. Lot of car for that money. Also has 12,000 miles/year.

And $15 month extra for an xle is a no brainier. At least $30 less than the legacy too.

Now just need a quote on an accord EX!

OK, I posted this over on the stories board and the consensus was that it's impossible.

http://www.tomsford.com/auto/new-2015-ford-mustang-gt/1746441/

I'm setting you guys loose to tear it apart and explain it to me.

edited September 2014

@stickguy said:
    Update: can lease a Camry, base XLE, sticker $26,900+/-, 1k at inception, 35 payments left at $248.48, inc. tax. Lot of car for that money. Also has 12,000 miles/year.

And $15 month extra for an xle is a no brainier. At least $30 less than the legacy too.

Now just need a quote on an accord EX!

On one hand I can see leasing a high residual car like a Honyota but aren't you wasting all the reliability those cars are famous for if you just give it back?

My ideal lease would be something wildly expensive to fix out of warranty like a Range Rover or even a BMW. Have fun with it and be shed of it before it becomes unfun.

well, my primary reason for leasing this car at this time is cash flow and timing as it relates to the whole college situation. And looking at the residual, they are slashing the price so much, and MF is so low, that buying it out at the end is a distinct possibility if I like it (or just to keep for my daughter to have after graduation).

I understand leasing an expensive nightmare. I just don't think I can get a LR for $250/mo! Nor would I turn my daughter loose with one, or a new BMW, to take to college. A Camry? Who cares!

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676

A Camry is a great post-grad car. I prefer Honda myself but you should get what works best for you. There's a reason they sell boatloads of them every year and it isn't just because people don't care. Most people I know who have Camrys chose them and like them very much. They are relatively cheap, reliable, easy to drive even in difficult traffic situations, look good (although I'm not a fan of the largemouth bass front grill of the latest one) and good on gas mileage. My daughter drove her '99 without incident in 3 very snowy climes: Wisconsin, New Hampshire, and Vermont.

'14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,131

I think the 5-speed might have debuted with the 250SL. There are 3 or 4 5-speed W113s in the local MB club, I think. 113s have seen values spike, but mostly just for 280SLs, nice ones can approach 6 figures. But 230SLs seem to go for half the money. Best to turn it into a driver - buff out the paint, detail the interior, attend to mechanical needs - sink 15K into it instead of 50K.

The college student car talk is funny, do students drive old cars anymore?

@Mr_Shiftright said:
    rayainsw -- nope, it's a 230SL, which is considerably "plainer" (some enthusiasts might say "more pure") than the 280SL in its trim and options. Doubt it's a 5-speed. I have never seen a USA 230SL 5-speed, or any USA SL 5-speed for that matter.

gbrozen--- yes, the SL is worth saving, even though I suspect that by the time you're done, you'd be lucky to break even. The Seville? I dunno, what's such low mileage really worth? You can buy these cars almost pristine for $10K.

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,966

Loved our Camry's and Corolla's and the wife loved her Altima. I did like my Civic but don't like the new generation one bit, seems they cheapened the product somewhat. The new Accord is nice but I'd go for the EX if we were to consider one, the LX is just too low rent as is the Camry LE with the hub caps...with alloys, I could live with one. Lots of great choices out there right now and in a few months, we'll be making our punch, finally. The weather has been so hot down here that any talk of driving the Mazda has been put on hold as honestly, I think she's already let the car go and is just waiting for the end of December to get here to make her move. I did drive a couple of '15 Accents at work these last few days and they seem to have tweaked the engine a bit as they drive smoother than our '08 model...if she can get a back up camera in one, betting now that she'd just get it. If they don't have that option, think she'll just slot in the Elantra due to it's better warranty.
    Drove a Volvo S60 today and was quite surprised at how nice it was, and it was a rental that was showing it's abuse. Wish they still had the S40 because I did like those and almost got one back in '09 because I was a bit bored with the Civic. Think she'd like the S60 but the size is the only issue here as she really wants to downsize for some odd reason! Shame she won't take the Tuscon and let me get my toy...still want a toy!!!

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Fin, my son drove the 2000 TL (that now is over 175K on it) so yes, students do still drive old cars. If my daughter was going to school within 30 miles or so, I would just send the Volvo and hope for the best. Plus I would be close enough to deal with any issues.

But, she is about 440 miles away, and the drive involves I95 from Philly to Richmond (AKA the highway from Hell!). Not sending my baby on that drive alone in something well over 100K on the clock. and the thought of having to troubleshoot a problem from that far away with her on the ground is not appealing!

certainly doesn't need something new, but definitely much newer than what I have sitting in the driveway. Or I just never let her take a car, solving that problem except when she is home.

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,257

@sandman_6472 said:
    The new Accord is nice but I'd go for the EX if we were to consider one, the LX is just too low rent as is the Camry LE with the hub caps...with alloys, I could live with one.

Sandy, beginning in 2013, the Accord LX has 16" alloy wheels standard, along with a lot of other additional content compared to older models. I think the 2015 Accent has a six speed automatic transmission, and your 2008 probably only has a four speed auto, so that may account for the additional smoothness of the newer model.

OK, after all the browbeating, I took the wife to the Honda dealer tonight. we test drove a metal steel gray Accord EX. Nice enough, but it did not really wow me. And I did notice the CVT in this one. Maybe it was the seats, since the cloth driver's chair was not as comfy as some of the other options. The lanewatch camera though was a neat feature, and could come in handy on the highway, though the car has good enough visibility to make it unneeded.

with just enough time, we went back to Toyota dealer. of course, it started pouring (lighting and all) right when we got there. My salesguy was not there, but some other poor soul got to go out in the rain to find the stock # and pull it around. thankfully by then the rain stopped. So went and sat in it and took another lap around the block. Loved the color on that (cosmic gray), even looked good in the rain! Stereo set up is also good. Had real time traffic map for some reason. More comfy seat I think than the Accord, and drove just fine. XLE is quite well equipped with goodies, but not fancy camera nannies. Interesting to drive the 2 cars pretty much back to back.

so, to recap, I still like the Camry better than the Accord. But might like the legacy the most. Though the Camry is actually a bit cheaper. Though for all 3, lease programs change tomorrow, so who knows?

still mostly have to decide what type to get, and when. Deals to be had now, but could roll the dice and just keep beating on the TL and hope it lasts. Gotta sell that Volvo though to get the ball rolling.

also, the XLE camry does have a lot of upgraded features over the LE. Nicer interior trim, fancier stereo, auto CC, etc.

@oldfarmer50 said:
    OK, I posted this over on the stories board and the consensus was that it's impossible.

http://www.tomsford.com/auto/new-2015-ford-mustang-gt/1746441/

I'm setting you guys loose to tear it apart and explain it to me.

What are we looking at? I must be missing something.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Just an ad. Vin not found for window sticker so probably an allocation unit they don't have yet, just out there to generate interest and contacts. Like you.

• jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602

@qbrozen said:

Just fishing for folks who want a new Mustang. Playing a numbers game.

But I'm not seeing a number other than MSRP. Unless I'm just overlooking something. Or am I supposed to click the "get a live market price"? Cause, if so, I don't wanna.

I have yet to have one of those get me a price- it only gets me an email inviting me down for a test drive. If someone actually gave me a price I'd probably pass out from shock...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

edited September 2014

@qbrozen said:

You're looking at an add for a new 2015 Mustang GT with sport package and floor mats for what looks like a price $400 below invoice. I price that car on Edmunds and get a 35,500 MSRP and about $33,500 invoice.

My question is how could they be selling it that cheap ($33,020) being a brand new model and all. A 2014, sure but a 2015?

@roadburner said:
    I have yet to have one of those get me a price- it only gets me an email inviting me down for a test drive. If someone actually gave me a price I'd probably pass out from shock...

That's exactly what I got (stupid me). I emailed back twice asking to verify that price and got deflection. I stopped emailing back.

The lead came from the Edmunds inventory search. Local dealers don't have any yet and I got antsy.

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    edited September 2014

"The lead came from the Edmunds inventory search. Local dealers don't have any yet and I got antsy."

I had the same experience with a car, with a VIN no. showing in a dealer's inventory, and it is not yet in stock. It's obviously en route, or eventually due. On these vehicles, in my experience, they either didn't respond to the inquiry or gave me the run around on a hypothetical similar car also not there. I've almost never ended up doing business with the given dealer.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,131

I don't want to sound too much like a grumpy old man, but back in my day, cars that old in school lots were the norm - in the mid-late 90s, I knew many guys driving 15-20+ year old cars without a problem. Of course, I lived in an area that is easy on cars, and they were guys, not girls, who might benefit from extra parental worrying when it comes to cars. Come to think of it, I knew more girls than guys who had late model cars, and of course the new car is a classic grad gift for the fairer set.

@stickguy said:
    Fin, my son drove the 2000 TL (that now is over 175K on it) so yes, students do still drive old cars. If my daughter was going to school within 30 miles or so, I would just send the Volvo and hope for the best. Plus I would be close enough to deal with any issues.

>

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,902

@carnaught said:
    "The lead came from the Edmunds inventory search. Local dealers don't have any yet and I got antsy."

I had the same experience with a car, with a VIN no. showing in a dealer's inventory, and it is not yet in stock. It's obviously en route, or eventually due. On these vehicles, in my experience, they either didn't respond to the inquiry or gave me the run around on a hypothetical similar car also not there. I've almost never ended up doing business with the given dealer.

When we bought the daughter's MINI back in April, we found one in the on-line inventory that was just about perfect. At the dealer, we discovered that the car was a special order for a customer. Our second choice was also en route from the port in CA; we had to wait a week for arrival and dealer prep. The dealer loaned my daughter a MINI Roadster for the week and brought the Countryman to her at work for the swap.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,414

I'm one step closer to taking the plunge and punching my CCBA card. I stopped by the Subaru Dealer in Rye, NY where I drove the Impreza last week. This time I stopped by to put the newly redesigned 2015 Subaru Legacy through its paces. My test model was a Legacy Limited.

I sat in the car and adjusted its mirrors while my sales guy attached a demo plate. Dash materials are very high quality and soft touch plastics are everywhere. The seats are padded very hard, almost with a Mercedes-like stiffness.

Foot on the brake, shift into Drive, & off I go. I immediately notice how much more responsive the 2.5L is compared to the 2.0 L in the Impreza. The steering does provide decent feedback for being electric, but its still too light for my tastes (to make matter worse, I drove my BMW today).

I hopped on the highway. The engine pulls strongly while the CVT responds to every stab of the throttle. This car will have absolutely no trouble keeping up traffic at the normal 70 - 75 mph clip I usually cruise at.

My biggest issue with the dashboard is its layout. The tach is on the right and the speedo is on the left (My Hondas and my BMW have tach on the left & speedo on the right). This is going to take some getting used to.

The ride is definitely on the taut side of comfortable. Which is fine by me. It rides very close to an old school Honda before they started softening up the suspensions to market to the Camry crowd.

There is a bit more body roll than I like & I'm used to, but again I'm comparing it to my BMW & my Prelude (with thicker sway bars) so take that with a grain of salt.

Handling characteristics are pretty neutral. I took an off ramp a bit faster than I should have (kept looking down at the tach, thinking it was the speedo) and the Legacy definitely didn't under steer.

Brakes seemed pretty good. Pedal feel was linear and progressive. I'm spoiled by my 328xi's stellar stoppers though.

As you can all tell, I liked the car a lot.

I parked the car and went back into the showroom. The sales guy asks what I think. Then says "you'll be happier with the Legacy coming from a Bimmer." I tell him I like it and am interested in a 2.5i Premium w/ EYESIGHT.

We go inside & he brings his manager over. The manager says, "didn't I see you here last week with a different car?" He asks me some questions about my BMW then asks me if I plan to lease or finance. The manager tells me that the EYESIGHT cars will most likely come in around the end of October, early November. He says "thanks for stopping by." Then my salesman pulls out the binder off his desk. Opens it up, punches the invoice number in for the car & the EYESIGHT option into a calculator. He says: we can order you the car for this. We are low pressure here. Take a day, a week, a month. I'm not going to call you or email you as I sense you seem to know what you want.

So now, what do I do? Should I lease a base 2.5i car for 3 years? Lease or Finance a 2.5i Premium? Or factory order a 2.5i Premium w/ EYESIGHT?

Hosts, if you don't mind I'm going to post a portion of this in Mid Sized Sedans 2.0?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

Cross-posting is fine - it's funny how many people don't stray too far from their favorite discussions.

Oh yeah, factory order and go whole hog.

"...So now, what do I do? Should I lease a base 2.5i car for 3 years? Lease or Finance a 2.5i Premium? Or factory order a 2.5i Premium w/ EYESIGHT?..."

Buy rather than lease. If the prices I see for miled up used Subies is any indication you can always sell it high when you tire of it.

If you can afford all the bells and whistles go for it. I usually have to compromise for economy sake and regret it later.

@oldfarmer - oh, I see. Well, the page states "MSRP" not selling price or sale price. So my guess is they would just say "whoops. we don't have any with that MSRP."

And, looking at Ford.com, I see that Tom's Ford has exactly zero 2015 Mustangs.

Bradd- as I say so often, life is too short to drive boring cars- or cars that you aren't completely happy with. Order what you want- in for a penny and all like that...

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,414

I agree with you 100%. The Legacy is far from a boring car, especially given some of the snoozers in it's Mid Sized Class. It has "good bones," meaning I'd be happy with it even in it's base form. Someone was taking delivery of a base 2.5i in Lapis Blue Pearl (a Porsche Color) with tan guts. Even though it had 17" wheel covers, it didn't look cheap. All the things on the 2.5i Premium that fluff up the price don't detract from the driving experience, so I could potentially deal with a 2.5i short term. Used Subarus seem to have stupid asking prices (of course the ones on the dealer lot, I'm sure my trade won't be worth nearly as much - HA), so as a card carrying CCBA member I could always upgrade (to a 3.6R Legacy or a WRX). I do like how the flat 4 is a different engine than the norm.

The EYESIGHT is a serious amount of technology (adaptive cruise control, Lane Change Assist, Rear Cross Path Detection) for not that much money ($1200 MSRP). Right now (and I know this is short sighted of me), I'm trying to lower my monthly expenses.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,966

Go for what you want cause in the end, you'll be happier. So glad I left the economy class with my latest vehicle and I do smile every time I start that puppy up. I spent a bit more than originally planned but haven't thought about it since I drove it off the lot. And even though the petrol bills are a bit higher, I don't give it a second thought. Very little buyers remorse at this point and would've been just as happy in either the Outlander Sport or the Sportage.
    Bottom line, get what you want and spend the little extra as you won't miss it down the road. Your life is going to get much busier in the next few years with the kids and all, like you, we also had our three very close in age, and obsessing about what you should've or could've bought will all be wasted energy. Get what you want and enjoy it because life is just too short to be unhappy!!!

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

@nyccarguy said:
    The steering does provide decent feedback for being electric, but its still too light for my tastes (to make matter worse, I drove my BMW today).

>

The tach is on the right and the speedo is on the left (My Hondas and my BMW have tach on the left & speedo on the right). This is going to take some getting used to.

There is a bit more body roll than I like & I'm used to, but again I'm comparing it to my BMW& my Prelude (with thicker sway bars) so take that with a grain of salt.

Brakes seemed pretty good. Pedal feel was linear and progressive. I'm spoiled by my 328xi's stellar stoppers though.

As you can all tell, I liked the car a lot.

Wait - are you saying you "liked" the Legacy or your current 328xi? ;)

Maybe you should get a CPO 328. Or aren't there some good lease deals on a 320? :)