Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

'94-'96 Impala SS

Comments

• jpstaxjpstax Posts: 250
    Someone in the Impala XI topic, of the Sedans conference, posted this link:

http://www.9c1.com/pictures/ls1_impala/index.htm

I think it looks sharp and aggressive. If it were offered for sale, I think it would be in BIG demand by collectors, just like the '94-'96 cars are today. Just my 2 cents.
  • Michael, it seems like you generally like GM vehicles based on your stable of cars. You still haven't mentioned any other mark that only 'loses' 10% of its value after 5 years of ownership. Your '98 Jag can't brag those stats even after 2 years of owning it. I'll be the 1st to admit that generally speaking, GM quality is an oxymoron ..but they hit a homerun with this car. As others have said, I still get plenty of looks from people asking if its a Lexus or a Jag

Dave
  • b4zb4z Posts: 3,372
    According to the latest info the LS1 fwd impala SS has been killed.
  • giowagiowa Posts: 599
    What is the source of the info?

Part of me is glad they don't go forward with a FWD chassis. RWD platform is inherently superior. No matter how hard Cadillac tries with its DeVille, 300 hp is just to much to expect a FWDer to handle. Good but not great.

Now if Ford goes ahead with Blackhawk and Marauder, maybe GM will have to respond? Either could work off European Cadillac Catera chassis or go with Australian chassis.
    I received a letter from Chevy, C00096, dated January, 2001. NOT a recall but a letter saying:

"that some...1996 Chevrolet Impala and Caprice models, equipped with a 5.7L V-8 engine, may experience a condition where the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve may fail due to corrosion of the internal diaphragm plate. This will cause the emission system to not function properly ... Do not take your vehicle to your Chevrolet dealer as a result of this letter unless you believe that your vehicle has the condition as described above ... If this condition occurs on your...1996 Impala or Caprice model vehicle within 10 years of the date your vehicle was originally placed in service or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first, the condition will be repaired for you at no charge."
  • mcsapmcsap Posts: 15
    I was fortunate enough to drive one of these great cars as a company car. It did have a set of red and blue lights on the roof as well. i started driving the car brand new in 1995 and drove it until the spring of 1999 when , at 143,000 miles, it was time. The trans was slipping although it still ran good. Couldn't talk the chief into another trans. and now its serving duty as a taxi somewhere. Was involved in a 33 mile pursuit that lasted 19 minutes. Late at night on an interstate highway. What a runner! Nowadays, I motor around in a 4.6 crown Vic , what a let down. We do have a new Impala with the 3.8, not a bad running car.
    You should check out the Mercury Marauder site here. That is probably your best hope for a worthy replacement. Will be interesting to see if Ford actually ponies up the dough to make either or both a reality. Check out 2/01 issue of Motor Trend for some of the latest & most detailed purported info.

Can't believe you actually say nice things about the 3.8L FWD Impala. Seems like a most unimpressive cop car. Doesn't the police package in the new Impala include Krispy Kreme donuts? Just kidding. :)
  • tdugovictdugovic Posts: 34
    First off I can't believe that Michael who says he "loves" impalas can make statements so negative about the 94-96 imps.

I own a Jag and also own a 95 caprice with the LT1. I wish it was the impala SS.

These are great cars and have very good throttle response and with a new air intake system and less restrictive mufflers, they have nearly 300hp. What a blast of a car.

here is a good website for info

www.gmforums.com

they cover all gms and not just the imps.
    (Tim)ratchetmaster
  • bort1bort1 Posts: 13
    Most officers that I know are getting adjusted to the FWD Impala and seem to like it, but that may not say much considering that Crown Vics handle like river barges even with police suspension upgrades. Officers patroling alone seemed to be much more satisfied with the Impala, throw two up front and interior space becomes a serious problem.
    1. But does the FWD Impala catch criminals as efficiently and is it as safe in a crash?

2. Car & Driver periodically does tests on cop cars. Within past 5 years think I've seen them write up large reports on Crown Vic two or three times, once on Impala, and once on Tahoe. Think they initially panned Crown Vic but Ford has taken some steps to improve. Also had some panning for FWD Impala. Forgot about Tahoe, other than it was so expensive for a force to buy.
    After only 59 monthly payments, my 1996 DCM Impala SS--which I bought brand new in May '96, with all available options--is all mine! Completely paid for. Made my last payment today. Title should be in my hands in couple of working days. And she only has about 18,208 miles on her.

I finally took her out of garage a couple weeks ago and started driving her again. I garage her every winter. Fuelled up today. Drove 431.1 miles using 19.785 gallons (87 octane), for a 21.79 mpg average. Not bad. Took her to a touchless place to shine her up and even splurged on some premium (accidently, out of habit as my '00 Lincoln LS8 Sport requires premium).

She's a big, bad beauty, but she's now all mine!!! Yes, Yes, Yes!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,279
    Sending in that last coupon is a great feeling, isn't it?

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

Check out the Marauder site here for more info. The head of the Lincoln LS Owner's Club (LLSOC) worked at the NY Auto Show for Lincoln and took some great pictures, including one of the info sheet near the car. The link is on the Edmunds Marauder site and Lincoln LS site here.

At least there is a tach, floor shift, different seats, and fog lights. Marauder won't make some of the same mistakes as the '94-'95 Impala SS.
    Here's an indirect link, to our NEWS section....then click on the NY Auto Show...I'm not going to link directly to time-specific content because I don't want this link to go dead. This one will always take you to our NEWS department.

http://www.edmunds.com/news/?id=lin9031

Mr. Shiftright

Host

Unless I missed it, the link to the Edmunds News NY Auto show does NOT have any picture(s) or info on the Marauder, which was exhibited there.
    oh, Im sorry, giowa, I thought it did. My apologies, and I hope you found something interesting there anyway!

Anyone have the exact link to a story or pic of this car?

The resale value of the '96 impalas never ceases to amaze me.

My intrigue is being turned in on monday and i have rekindled my interest in the impala ss.

The resale values on these cars is completely off the charts. I am talking $18,000 dollars for a good example and $27,000 for cars with almost no miles and in perfect condition.

I am trying to figure out how to afford one of these cars and the payments are pretty steep because it is a used car.

It seems like the they are more out of reach everyday vs. becoming more affordable.
    These are only asking prices...you shop around and bargain with real money in your hand and you'll get much better prices than that...so don't be discouraged. Those prices are only owner's fantasies, hoping to score on a naive buyer.

• tdugovictdugovic Posts: 34
    Those are not only asking prices . . . they are GETTING that kind of money for these cars.

And When you run across one cheaper, it is because they have piles of mileage on them or the owners don't know what they have.
    I don't think so. You should be able to buy a very nice one for $18-22K. And if it's an earlier model, say 1994, even cheaper. You can't base an entire market analysis on one or two high sales, anymore than you can on very low sales. You need to take the "clump" of sales, the 95% that fall in the "range". The market is pretty clearly defined by research and that's about the range we're seeing right now. Objective data does not come from owners or clubs.

Could someone sell a mint car with 0 miles on it for $27K? Yeah, maybe, but that's not the market, that's something way out of the ordinary.

You bring me a check for $22K and I'll put a very nice Impala SS at your front door and make a tidy profit, too.

A used car is only worth what a specific person will pay on a specific day. Depends upon the vehicle's condition, the market, etc. Big area of SSs is whether the person has heavily modified it or not. And whether those mods induce someone to pay a lot more. Lots of SS owners make major investments in engine & exhaust modifications. The '96s are most desired, as they have the floor shifter and tach, but the '94s are the rarest from a production standpoint.

A stock low mile '96 is worth a pretty penny. My completely stock '96, which I bought new, has only 19,000 miles. I wouldn't sell you mine for $22K.
    Well, that's my point. You wouldn't sell for $22K, so I would buy one elsewhere. Your asking price does not set the market, because you can't set a market based on cars that do not sell.

I wouldn't sell my Alfa, either, so I do understand where you are coming from and I don't wish to imply this is a criticism of the car. I just want to clarify to people how the collectible car market works in general, and to encourage the previous poster who is looking that he can find what he wants in the $22K range.

Anyway, for a used American 4-door sedan to be selling anywhere near MSRP is already highly unusual and indicates a strong (if small) collectible market for the car.

What this shows is that if something has some serious HP and is "rare enough" (relative to other 4-doors, not to say exotic cars), then people will seek it out.

Some Current Impala SS prices (asking):

Chevrolet Impala SS 1… 96 50723 $20,588 * Kent WA
    Chevrolet Impala SS 4… 96 $22,999 * Fairless Hi… PA
    Chevrolet Impala SS 4… 96 58816 $21,083 * Knoxville TN
    Chevrolet Impala SS 4… 95 77317 $14,995 * Springfield MO
    Chevrolet Impala SS 4… 96 $8,995 * Knoxville TN
    Chevrolet Impala SS 4… 96 64863 $19,995 * Miami FL
    Chevrolet Impala SS 4… 96 70000 $17,500 * Moultrie GA
    Chevrolet Impala SS 4… 96 59502 $21,995 * Merriam MO
    Chevrolet Impala SS 4… 96 54835 $18,995 * Fairfield NY
    Chevrolet Impala SS 4… 96 89613 $17,995 * Mt. Airy NC
    Save up to 25% at 400+ stores!
    Chevrolet Impala SS 4… 95 54011 $8,874 * Tampa FL
    Chevrolet Impala SS 4… 95 32647 $19,995 * Memphis TN
    Chevrolet Impala SS 4… 96 54228 $19,218 * Tinley Park IL
    Chevrolet Impala SS 4S 95 72100 $15,488 * King NC
    Chevrolet Impala SS B… 95 96000 $15,900 * Tulsa OK
    Chevrolet Impala SS I… 95 56627 $18,950 * Fort Lauder… FL
    Chevrolet Impala SS SD 96 84459 $18,490 * Lancaster CA
    Chevrolet Impala SS SS 96 39043 $16,995 * Stanhope NY
    Chevrolet Impala SS S… 96 69083 $9,999 * Dover NY
    Chevrolet Impala SS S… 96 62000 $22,500 San Jose CA
    Is a reliable new car in your price range? Check to see!

Key:

• andre1969andre1969 Posts: 22,052
    Hey gang,

A few years back, I came close to buying a '96 Caprice Classic with the 350 LT-1 engine. Does a stock Impala SS of the same vintage have any performance/handling mods over the 350 Caprice? I know they're both rated at 260 hp.

I'm guessing the Impala may have better tires, wider rims, and a stiffer suspension. Is the gearing in the tranny and differential any different?

Basically, is there anything in a stock SS Impala that would make it any faster than a Caprice 350?

-Andre
    Glad none of the cars listed above has less than 20,000 miles. My '96 has only 19,000. Would also be interesting to see what colors these are and what original optional equipment they have. My dark cherry metallic has every available option. And would be interesting to see what modifications, if any, have been made to these cars. Mint stock low mile cherry cars are the most valued.
    According to my copy of GM's 1996 Specifications for the Caprice/Impala SS...

The same 260 hp/330 lb-ft torque 5.7L LT1 V-8 engine was used in both the Caprice sedan (optional) and Wagon & SS ( both standard). The same 4L60-E 4-speed automatic transmission, including gear ratios (3.06, 1.63, 1.00, & .70 overdrive), was used for both the 4.3L and 5.7L V-8s.

The SS came standard with a 30 mm from stabilizer bar and 26 mm rear. SS had front and rear vented disc brakes. The SS came with tuned De Carbon shock absorbers. It also had standard limited slip differential, quick ratio power steering, and transmission oil cooler. Plus 45/45 bucket seats. SS also had "Salisbury 4-link coil steel alloy spring" rear suspension.

SS had P225/50ZR-17 tires standard versus largest Caprice tire option of P235/70R-15 (non-speed rated).

The Caprice could be ordered with following options: G80--limited slip differential w/3.23 final drive; QMU--P235/70R-15 blackwalls; G67--automatic levelling suspension (wagon only); and B4U--sport suspension (incl. trailering package w/HD cooling and engine oil cooling, and G80 LSD & 3.23 axle, and requiring QMU tires). There were no bucket seats, only 55/45. All had rear drum brakes. No rear stabilizer bar; 26 mm front. Had "4-link solid axle coil steel alloy spring" rear suspension.

4.3L Caprice used a 2.93 rear axle. 5.7L Caprice used a standard 2.56 rear axle, with an optional 3.23 available. The SS had only a 3.08 rear axle.

Empty 4.3L Caprice weighed 4,061 pounds. 5.7L Wagon at 4,473. SS at 4,036.

Due to the similarities and fact the Caprice could be ordered with the 3.23 rear axle, it was actually quicker. But due to its non-speed rated tires, the SS had a much higher top speed (drag limited at over 140 mph). There was no real comparison, though, in handling or hard braking.

One of the best comparison tests of the time is reported in the May 1996 issue of Popular Mechanics' CarSmart. They compared the SS to MB S500, Cadillac Fleetwood, Buick Roadmaster, Chevy Caprice (w/optional 5.7L V-8 & suspension), Lincoln Town Car, Merc Grand Marquis LS, and Ford Crown Vic LX:

The Caprice Classic is "the fastest car in this group, even out-dragging the more performance- oriented Impala SS. But its ride is more comfortable than the SS, more like the Roadmaster... Where the Caprice fell short was its handling... Its stability rating is the worst of any here... the Caprice warrants attention, but for another $1,283 you can purchase an Impala SS, which makes the Caprice seem unnecessary."

"Hands down, the Impala SS is the best value here... it simply delivers the most car for the money... it outhandled and outaccelerated the Mercedes, and equaled the Benz's remarkable braking performance."

Their test results:

Car SS Caprice

0-60 7.5 7.3 secs
    30-50 2.7 2.5 secs
    50-70 3.8 3.8 secs
    60-0 cold 118 130 feet
    60-0 hot 121 139 feet
    Handling 47 43 mph
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 22,052
    ...thanks for all the great info! You've got me starting to regret that I didn't end up buying that '96 Caprice! I ended up backing down because of the price, and the fact that it stunk to high heaven of cigarette smoke. They wanted $13,860 for it, and it had about 36,000 miles on it. In retrospect, that doesn't sound too bad considering what Impala SS's seem to be going for.

I ended up buying a 2000 Dodge Intrepid 2.7 about a month later. I'm happy with it, but there's a spot in my heart for an Impala SS, or 350 Caprice! Maybe when I wear the 'Trep out, I'll come back to GM and get a used one.

-Andre
    Well, I looked into the '96 imapala ss purchase and found a really nice on for less than $18,000. It had less than 50K miles and was very clean and well maintained with a really good paint job.(which is important to me).

I actually took my intrigue in to early terminate the lease and the dealer told me about GM's program to pay my lease off if i by a new GM car.

By the time they took all the discounts and incentives off of the new impala it was over $7000!!. So i bought the new car.

One of these days i will own a black '96 SS. They will probably still be selling for over $15,000 five years fom now.
    Not sure you were ever serious about a '94-'96 SS. There is absolutely no comparison, whatsoever, between the '94-'96 SS and the run-of-the-mill pedestrian FWD Impala you bought. Like comparing lobster to celery. Your Impala is "competitive" with your average Taurus or Concorde. But strictly minor league to the SS's major league capabilities.

Hope you do like it. My brother, a clergyman who isn't into cars at all (viewing them like appliances), loves his '00 Impala LS. That says a million words to me about who the target market is for new Impala.

Can't tell exactly what you paid, but I'm assuming you got $7,000 "OFF" MSRP sticker. A loaded Impala LS will sticker for around $22,000. So you had to end up paying about $15,000 or thereabouts for the car (unless you bought a base model with few options). Not too much less than for the SS.

Give your Impala a year and then compare its resale value. Bet the '96 Impala SS will be worth more!
    If you want to quickly appreciate how mundane and mediocre is the new Impala, check out the April 2001 New Car Issue of Consumer Reports. Here's what a non-performance oriented publication had to say (p. 37):

"competent though unexceptional model"

Is this akin to damning with faint praise?

CR tested a '00 Impala LS in their May 2000 issue. Currently out of 17 6-cylinder family cars CR has tested over the past 2 years, the new Impala LS scores AHEAD of only 4: the Chysler Sebring LX, Mazda 626 LX, Mercury Sable LS, and Ford Taurus SE. It TIES with the Chevy Malibu LS, Dodge Intrepid, and Mitsu Galant ES.

CR rates the new Impala LS BEHIND the VW Passat GLS, Camry LE, Maxima GXE, Accord EX, Olds Intrigue GL, Grand Prix SE, Olds Alero GL2, and Hyundai Sonata GLS.

Is almost laughable to compare new Impala to old one. The new one is barely competitive in its class, and falling behind. Old one was in a class by itself. Only the '03 Mercury Marauder will be competitive.
This discussion has been closed.