Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Caravan Instrument Panel

124»

Comments

• poonerpooner Member Posts: 5
    The climate control lights have most likely burned out. I pulled mine apart and all 4 bulbs are toast. Now the question is, where do I find these bulbs as the dealer wants 500 bucks for the whole unit. Everything works well except these 4 blue bulbs. Anybody know where these bulbs can be bought?? How can all 4 burn out at once??
  • mn4ethanolmn4ethanol Member Posts: 1
    Thank you so much. We had the same problem with our instrument lights not working. It made for difficult night driving. I pulled the IOD fuse which on my 3.8l 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan was a 15 amp fuse. Maybe the fuse should be a 10 amp. I will have to check it out. Well, it worked like a charm. My lights are back and I have you to thank! Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge!

MN4ethanol
  • israeloneisraelone Member Posts: 1
    you have a bad cluster check this post
    http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4106224&posted=1#post4106224
    post #4 this might help diagnose your problem you can also post something and ill see what i can help you with
  • alvirostkoalvirostko Member Posts: 1
    I'm so glad I found your message! I have been having the same problem with my 01 Grand Caravan. I have paid $$$ for a new BCM and PCM, only to have the same problem recur within minutes of getting my vehicle back from the shop. I tried to tell the mechanic that it had to be something else because if I hit the dash, things would work for a minute. I also have one other problem besides the lights and gauges working intermittantly, my blinkers don't work, I think it's a short somewhere. Thanks for your article though, it validates what I was already thinking!
  • amandabennyamandabenny Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2001 dodge carvan, the radio doesn't work, the automatic door locks and windows only work if the car is running and now when we turn on the wipers or blinkers all the gages go dead only to come back on as soon as you turn off the wipers or blinkers ?? anyone have any ideas on what it could be ?
  • turdnickturdnick Member Posts: 1
    This also worked for 99 T&C van, so thanks a bunch!!
  • brent36brent36 Member Posts: 1
    hi there we are having the same problem with our 2001 dodge caravan and have pulled the inst cluster but cannot see which ones are cracked we would like to find the post you are talking about and were wondering if you could send it to me via my email wiemken@live.com is this a common problem with these vans. we appreciate it thanks brent.
  • firealarmguyfirealarmguy Member Posts: 8
    Ok I have a 98 voyager and it has a lot of electrical problems but 1 that is bothering me now is after re soldering the cluster my gas gauge seems to be out of adjustment. (low fuel light at 1/2 tank) I filled it and it went well past full and am now going to run it out of fuel to find out where empty is. After the re solder (which fixed the bang the dash thing) it seemed out so I pulled it again to check for shorted solder. I am an electronics tech so I know how to do this properly. I couldn't find anything so.... My question is there some sort of procedure to synchronize the sender and gauge? or is the cluster nfg?
  • johnbeckjohnbeck Member Posts: 12
    Hi there, I'm an electronics technologist and I ran into the same problem which did seem to occur around the time that the cluster went faulty... Up to now, I've 'assumed' that it was a faulty fuel tank sender.... The problem only occures when the fuel level falls between apx 3/4 and 1/2 full; then the low fuel warning light and chime come on & the fuel gauge drops suddenly for apx 1/2 second and then the low fuel light goes out and the gauge goes back up and indicates correct fuel level - it drives me nuts but I can live w it until a fix is posted. I've had the electrical harness to the fuel tank [including ground wire] replaced but that didn't fix the problem...
    Please contact me and maybe together and through other resources, we can help each other... thx John johns_office@yahoo.com
  • jman1984jman1984 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2002 grand caravan sport the cluster gauge would stop working as sonn as i turned the hazards or blinker on. I diconnected the blinker from the steering colum and has not done it since . its a $55.00 dollar part from kragen for a new multi fuction switch . if your cluster board is fines this was my fix if you have the same problems/
    Without being able to view a technical schematic, I have no idea how the turn signals interract with the instrument cluster. If replacing that part worked for you than that's another good piece of info in our arsenal... Right now, aside from the erratic low fuel indicator/falling gauge problem; I'm also experiencing an intermittent 'buzzing' noise coming from one of the relays on the fuse block.. At first I thought it was the headlight relay because I always drive w my headlights on, but it's located under the hood and not in the passenger compartment. After months of observation, I now realize that the buzzing occurs only when the headlights are on AND I use my turnsignals... Now, are these two problems related to the instrument cluster? Again, without a schematic of the wiring system and instrument cluster I'm only guessing...
    With all these problems, you'd think that Daimler Chrysler would wade into the discussion...not a chance. This is why the American automotive industry is failing. Fat cats drawing exhorbitant wages and shoddy workmanship.... SAD...
  • reonreon Member Posts: 19
    Sounds like a poor ground connection. Spend a some unhurried time on Saturday going over every ground under the hood. Lots of mysterious problems are solved this way.
  • firealarmguyfirealarmguy Member Posts: 8
    Have you checked the plugs on the box by the fuse panel by the brake pedal? Unplug and re inset them. I had an intermittent left turn signal caused by a loose plug that was sure was the multifunction switch. This truck is are the biggest POS I've ever owned and judging by the sheer numbers (of others with problems) mine isn't the only one. I have the service manual (I had to buy) from Ebay but it is very difficult to understand ( I understand why the dealers have problems fixing these stupid problems too now. And keep in mind I am a electrical and electronic service person. And bad relays holy crap almost changed them all now. I thought I blew the tranny (1st and reverse only) 2 days and find it's a relay.
    Thx for the tip; I'll try that and let you know. Who knows, maybe that'll fix my possessed fuel gauge problem too
  • mpaquettempaquette Member Posts: 1
    After our first snowfall a couple of weeks ago my ignition system on my 02 caravan started to act real strange.As soon as you turn the key off there is about a 5 sec delay before all electrical systems shut down and before start up.After final shutdown power door locks will not operate,interior lights will not go on with door open but will turn on manually and radio stopped working.Power locks will work when the ignition is in the on position or running!
    Does anyone have an idea about this??? I started to check for any wires shorted out but have found nothing!! Mike
  • labelboylabelboy Member Posts: 1
    My electronic dash cluster crapped out on me. It's a 98 voyager. I have lites in the upper bar and the panel lites work too. Checked fuses in car and engine compartment too. Beat on dash. Nothing. All accessories are working fine except radio needs reprogramming after pulling the memory fuse at top of the panel. I've read all the posts in this forum. I guess I'll try all the fixes mentioned unless someone has other ideas I can try. Sure hope its not the BCM. Also can someone tell me where the IOD is located and how to reset it.

Thanks
  • yoyo7edmundsyoyo7edmunds Member Posts: 1
    1998 Caravan -The instrument panel gauges don't move. Stopped suddenly . headlights, dome lights and wipers also don't work. Found a cracked pin on cluster mating connector. Soldered and Installed , no change. Did the battery cable off for 1/2 hour, took out IOD fuse for over 30 seconds. The Van starts.and drives The warning lights above cluster work, The turn signals work, Radio and A/C work. Fuses OK under hood and under dash drivers side. 12 Volts at pink wire on cluster mating connector.

How can I really check BCM before order a replacemet? Just the 300 ohm ??

I have not checked connections under battery holder or fuse box under hood.
  • yktechmanyktechman Member Posts: 1
    If all else fails remove heater control then pull lightly on wiring, I had the cluster not working issue and tried everything. In the end I removed heater control to look for burnt connector for heat controls not working and everything started working, There was a rub through the wiring that shorted to the metal frame behind heater control.