Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

'94-'96 Impala SS

Comments

• giowagiowa Member Posts: 599
    A used car is only worth what a specific person will pay on a specific day. Depends upon the vehicle's condition, the market, etc. Big area of SSs is whether the person has heavily modified it or not. And whether those mods induce someone to pay a lot more. Lots of SS owners make major investments in engine & exhaust modifications. The '96s are most desired, as they have the floor shifter and tach, but the '94s are the rarest from a production standpoint.

A stock low mile '96 is worth a pretty penny. My completely stock '96, which I bought new, has only 19,000 miles. I wouldn't sell you mine for $22K.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well, that's my point. You wouldn't sell for $22K, so I would buy one elsewhere. Your asking price does not set the market, because you can't set a market based on cars that do not sell.

I wouldn't sell my Alfa, either, so I do understand where you are coming from and I don't wish to imply this is a criticism of the car. I just want to clarify to people how the collectible car market works in general, and to encourage the previous poster who is looking that he can find what he wants in the $22K range.

Anyway, for a used American 4-door sedan to be selling anywhere near MSRP is already highly unusual and indicates a strong (if small) collectible market for the car.

What this shows is that if something has some serious HP and is "rare enough" (relative to other 4-doors, not to say exotic cars), then people will seek it out.
    Some Current Impala SS prices (asking):

Chevrolet Impala SS 1… 96 50723 $20,588 * Kent WA
    Chevrolet Impala SS 4… 96 $22,999 * Fairless Hi… PA
    Chevrolet Impala SS 4… 96 58816 $21,083 * Knoxville TN
    Chevrolet Impala SS 4… 95 77317 $14,995 * Springfield MO
    Chevrolet Impala SS 4… 96 $8,995 * Knoxville TN
    Chevrolet Impala SS 4… 96 64863 $19,995 * Miami FL
    Chevrolet Impala SS 4… 96 70000 $17,500 * Moultrie GA
    Chevrolet Impala SS 4… 96 59502 $21,995 * Merriam MO
    Chevrolet Impala SS 4… 96 54835 $18,995 * Fairfield NY
    Chevrolet Impala SS 4… 96 89613 $17,995 * Mt. Airy NC
    Save up to 25% at 400+ stores!
    Chevrolet Impala SS 4… 95 54011 $8,874 * Tampa FL
    Chevrolet Impala SS 4… 95 32647 $19,995 * Memphis TN
    Chevrolet Impala SS 4… 96 54228 $19,218 * Tinley Park IL
    Chevrolet Impala SS 4S 95 72100 $15,488 * King NC
    Chevrolet Impala SS B… 95 96000 $15,900 * Tulsa OK
    Chevrolet Impala SS I… 95 56627 $18,950 * Fort Lauder… FL
    Chevrolet Impala SS SD 96 84459 $18,490 * Lancaster CA
    Chevrolet Impala SS SS 96 39043 $16,995 * Stanhope NY
    Chevrolet Impala SS S… 96 69083 $9,999 * Dover NY
    Chevrolet Impala SS S… 96 62000 $22,500 San Jose CA
    Is a reliable new car in your price range? Check to see!

Key:
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,652
    Hey gang,

A few years back, I came close to buying a '96 Caprice Classic with the 350 LT-1 engine. Does a stock Impala SS of the same vintage have any performance/handling mods over the 350 Caprice? I know they're both rated at 260 hp.

I'm guessing the Impala may have better tires, wider rims, and a stiffer suspension. Is the gearing in the tranny and differential any different?

Basically, is there anything in a stock SS Impala that would make it any faster than a Caprice 350?

-Andre
    Glad none of the cars listed above has less than 20,000 miles. My '96 has only 19,000. Would also be interesting to see what colors these are and what original optional equipment they have. My dark cherry metallic has every available option. And would be interesting to see what modifications, if any, have been made to these cars. Mint stock low mile cherry cars are the most valued.
    According to my copy of GM's 1996 Specifications for the Caprice/Impala SS...

The same 260 hp/330 lb-ft torque 5.7L LT1 V-8 engine was used in both the Caprice sedan (optional) and Wagon & SS ( both standard). The same 4L60-E 4-speed automatic transmission, including gear ratios (3.06, 1.63, 1.00, & .70 overdrive), was used for both the 4.3L and 5.7L V-8s.

The SS came standard with a 30 mm from stabilizer bar and 26 mm rear. SS had front and rear vented disc brakes. The SS came with tuned De Carbon shock absorbers. It also had standard limited slip differential, quick ratio power steering, and transmission oil cooler. Plus 45/45 bucket seats. SS also had "Salisbury 4-link coil steel alloy spring" rear suspension.

SS had P225/50ZR-17 tires standard versus largest Caprice tire option of P235/70R-15 (non-speed rated).

The Caprice could be ordered with following options: G80--limited slip differential w/3.23 final drive; QMU--P235/70R-15 blackwalls; G67--automatic levelling suspension (wagon only); and B4U--sport suspension (incl. trailering package w/HD cooling and engine oil cooling, and G80 LSD & 3.23 axle, and requiring QMU tires). There were no bucket seats, only 55/45. All had rear drum brakes. No rear stabilizer bar; 26 mm front. Had "4-link solid axle coil steel alloy spring" rear suspension.

4.3L Caprice used a 2.93 rear axle. 5.7L Caprice used a standard 2.56 rear axle, with an optional 3.23 available. The SS had only a 3.08 rear axle.

Empty 4.3L Caprice weighed 4,061 pounds. 5.7L Wagon at 4,473. SS at 4,036.

Due to the similarities and fact the Caprice could be ordered with the 3.23 rear axle, it was actually quicker. But due to its non-speed rated tires, the SS had a much higher top speed (drag limited at over 140 mph). There was no real comparison, though, in handling or hard braking.

One of the best comparison tests of the time is reported in the May 1996 issue of Popular Mechanics' CarSmart. They compared the SS to MB S500, Cadillac Fleetwood, Buick Roadmaster, Chevy Caprice (w/optional 5.7L V-8 & suspension), Lincoln Town Car, Merc Grand Marquis LS, and Ford Crown Vic LX:

The Caprice Classic is "the fastest car in this group, even out-dragging the more performance- oriented Impala SS. But its ride is more comfortable than the SS, more like the Roadmaster... Where the Caprice fell short was its handling... Its stability rating is the worst of any here... the Caprice warrants attention, but for another $1,283 you can purchase an Impala SS, which makes the Caprice seem unnecessary."

"Hands down, the Impala SS is the best value here... it simply delivers the most car for the money... it outhandled and outaccelerated the Mercedes, and equaled the Benz's remarkable braking performance."

Their test results:

Car SS Caprice

0-60 7.5 7.3 secs
    30-50 2.7 2.5 secs
    50-70 3.8 3.8 secs
    60-0 cold 118 130 feet
    60-0 hot 121 139 feet
    Handling 47 43 mph
    ...thanks for all the great info! You've got me starting to regret that I didn't end up buying that '96 Caprice! I ended up backing down because of the price, and the fact that it stunk to high heaven of cigarette smoke. They wanted $13,860 for it, and it had about 36,000 miles on it. In retrospect, that doesn't sound too bad considering what Impala SS's seem to be going for.

I ended up buying a 2000 Dodge Intrepid 2.7 about a month later. I'm happy with it, but there's a spot in my heart for an Impala SS, or 350 Caprice! Maybe when I wear the 'Trep out, I'll come back to GM and get a used one.

-Andre
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    Well, I looked into the '96 imapala ss purchase and found a really nice on for less than $18,000. It had less than 50K miles and was very clean and well maintained with a really good paint job.(which is important to me).

I actually took my intrigue in to early terminate the lease and the dealer told me about GM's program to pay my lease off if i by a new GM car.

By the time they took all the discounts and incentives off of the new impala it was over $7000!!. So i bought the new car.

One of these days i will own a black '96 SS. They will probably still be selling for over $15,000 five years fom now.
    Not sure you were ever serious about a '94-'96 SS. There is absolutely no comparison, whatsoever, between the '94-'96 SS and the run-of-the-mill pedestrian FWD Impala you bought. Like comparing lobster to celery. Your Impala is "competitive" with your average Taurus or Concorde. But strictly minor league to the SS's major league capabilities.

Hope you do like it. My brother, a clergyman who isn't into cars at all (viewing them like appliances), loves his '00 Impala LS. That says a million words to me about who the target market is for new Impala.

Can't tell exactly what you paid, but I'm assuming you got $7,000 "OFF" MSRP sticker. A loaded Impala LS will sticker for around $22,000. So you had to end up paying about $15,000 or thereabouts for the car (unless you bought a base model with few options). Not too much less than for the SS.

Give your Impala a year and then compare its resale value. Bet the '96 Impala SS will be worth more!
    If you want to quickly appreciate how mundane and mediocre is the new Impala, check out the April 2001 New Car Issue of Consumer Reports. Here's what a non-performance oriented publication had to say (p. 37):

"competent though unexceptional model"

Is this akin to damning with faint praise?

CR tested a '00 Impala LS in their May 2000 issue. Currently out of 17 6-cylinder family cars CR has tested over the past 2 years, the new Impala LS scores AHEAD of only 4: the Chysler Sebring LX, Mazda 626 LX, Mercury Sable LS, and Ford Taurus SE. It TIES with the Chevy Malibu LS, Dodge Intrepid, and Mitsu Galant ES.

CR rates the new Impala LS BEHIND the VW Passat GLS, Camry LE, Maxima GXE, Accord EX, Olds Intrigue GL, Grand Prix SE, Olds Alero GL2, and Hyundai Sonata GLS.

Is almost laughable to compare new Impala to old one. The new one is barely competitive in its class, and falling behind. Old one was in a class by itself. Only the '03 Mercury Marauder will be competitive.
    I am a car guy and consider myself very knowledgeable.

The '01 was simply cheaper for me to purchase. I am 6'8" and most of the cars on your list don't work for me. I came out of an '99 intrigue so i know all about that car. I don't have the time to spend at the olds service department anymore. And i am not prepared to take a $10,000 depreciation hit in one year on an intrigue.

Part of the deal on the intrigue termination was that they forgave my remaining lease payments. If i had turned the car in in may i would have had to pay $2445.00 out of pocket. The total discounts on the '01 was about $4500. MSRP was $25,504 I paid $21,068.00. S.C. sales tax is only $300.00 maximum.

Back to the comparison. They are different cars, the '01 doesn't handle like the SS, but it only gives up about .5 second 0-60 mph.

Once i get the grey mouldings off of it and slightly tint the windows i will have a pretty good looking car. True, it is still front wheel drive. But the '01's aquisistion cost was less.

If i don't like the car in a couple of years i can buy a SS or a Marauder. I am sure my income will allow me to do that by then.

CR is not a great magazine to use when comparing cars. If it were everyone would be driving camrys and accords.
    1. Real car guys don't drive '00-'01 Impalas as their car of choice. People who don't care much about cars or care about things other than pure driving pleasure do.

2. Real knowledgeable car guys don't confuse old and new Impala. They are as different as night and day.

3. Darn near everyone is driving a Camry or Accord (they have led the sales charts for years). That is why Chevy only made about 60,000 '94-'96 Impala SSs. You had to be in the know to know. And want to stand out of the crowd.

4. Appears you bought your pedestrian conveyance primarily to save some dough. Great for you and Chevy. But you didn't get anything other than a bland, boring, low performance car that sullies the name "Impala". God help us if Chevy has the gall to stick "SS" on this FWD taxi cab wanna be.

5. Hope it holds enough resale value so you can trade it in on a new '03 Marauder. But I'm guessing there will likely be another fire sale on a bland car and you might be inclined to go for that. Hope not! :)
    Don't really want to get in an arguement with you about my credentials. You and i have posted before in the marauder thread.

My other car is an '87 IROC that i special ordered. It is the 215 hp TPI motor with 5 speed. 3.45 rearend, limited slip and 4 wheel discs. It will be in and out of the shop until this fall. Part of the work being done on it will a 336 CID small block with about 300 hp.

I felt that the SS was inappropriate for my job as a real estate agent. I did not know that my not buying the SS excludes me from my hobby.
    According to you i am no longer a car enthusiast.
    My comments are entirely in regard to what you have said about the new Impala vis-a-vis the real Impala (i.e., the '94-'96 years) and your justifications for buying same. You write as if there is some legitimate way to compare the old and new Impala. There isn't. And no enthusiast would, either. They are two entirely different cars for two entirely different markets & drivers. I find it odd that you could claim to be seriously interested in a '96 SS and then suddenly be smitted by an '01 LS. Either you weren't serious about the former or are rationalizing the latter.

Do you honestly believe there is any valid comparison between your LS and my SS? If so, please enlighten me. And I don't mean things like "each has 4 wheels, 4 doors, a steering wheel, etc."
    I don't ever think i said the two were directly comparable. The only thing they have in common is the name and the impala logo. Even if GM were to put a LS1 in the current impala it is impossible to compare FWD to RWD.

I do not feel that I settled for a bad car though. I have thoroughly enjoyed driving it these past three days. It is not as sporting as the intrigue was, nor does it have the intrigue's incredible passing power. It still drives great and i have gotten lots of compliments.

The deal that Gm offered me was to good to pass up. Remember, i would have had to pay almost $18,000 for the SS, and $2445.00 to get out of the lease on the intrigue.
    We likely are disagreeing about even the most basic of concepts.

a. I can't begin to fathom how anyone can "thoroughly enjoy driving" the new Impala. I've driven my brother's '00 LS. Even tried to push it a bit. Wasn't fun and certainly not exciting or rewarding. It is not a serious driver's car nor is it intended to be driven hard. Serious drivers don't buy them. Buyers who do don't drive 'em hard. Unlike the SS, it just isn't physically capable of high levels of all around driving excitement.

b. It is NOT sporting, period. End of discussion. Nor is the Intrigue.

c. It "drives great"? Compared to what? A Corolla? Taurus? Stratus? Not compared to any even half serious sport sedan I'm aware of.

Who is complimenting? Retirees? Teachers? Salesmen? Little old ladies? Certainly not the same people who would appreciate and compliment an SS.
    giowa...

I haven't read a Consumer Reports auto review in awhile, but it used to be that "competent though unexceptional model" is about the nicest thing that CR would say about a domestic car!

Considering that if CR had their way, we'd all be driving 4-cylinder Accords and Camrys with crank windows (and they haven't changed over the years...back in the 60's they would've wanted everyone in 6-cyl Valiants!), I'm sure they would've been more biased against the Impala SS and Caprice than they are the new Impala!

The new Impala is a good car, but I look at it as more as the first real replacement for the '78-83 Malibu (the Celebrity and Lumina just never quite fit that bill, in my opinion) than I do as a replacement for the '94-96 Impala SS.

b4z, I'm surprised that your Impala's 3.8 is that lacking in passing power compared to your Intrigue, which I'm guessing had the 3.5. Then again, I think the 3.5's OHC design did give it better higher-speed performance.

I looked at the new Impalas when I bought my Intrepid. Only problem was they only had fully-loaded models on the lot, priced well out of my price range, and at the time I hadn't gotten used to the style of it yet, so I didn't seriously consider it. When new-car time comes around again, I might consider one, if I go new again. I still have a yearning for a big RWD car though, and may try to just find a nice used Caprice or Impala SS.

-Andre
    Thanks for the support. Giowa doesn't like my taste in cars. LOL.
    The impala has less than 100 miles on it and i have not even given it half throttle yet.
    The midrange in the intrigue with DOHC motor was pretty incredible. Its power from 55-90 mph was very confidence inspiring.
    I don't guess giowa has ever driven an intrigue. The car handled pretty well and rode quite a bit harder than the average midsize car.
    1. CR has changed a bit over the past couple years. Check out the issue earlier this year (thinking May '01) that discusses sport sedans. They have no trouble rightly ascertaining and more than adequately writing about the wonderful performance characteristics of their top-rated BMW 330i. Forgot what they ranked second. Thinking Lexus IS300. CR does give a lot of weight to reliability, resale, fuel economy, and safety but they still do test the cars for acceleration, handling, emergency response, etc. And they publish the performance results. Their 330i stormed to a heady 0-60 time, which they appreciated. Along with the great motor.

2. When a non-performance oriented publication like CR says your car is "competent" and "not exceptional", you know it is smack dab in the middle of mediocrity. Bread and butter sandwich of cars.

3. I don't care what b4z buys or drives. It is just odd to even have him jump in to claim he was seriously considering an SS and then say he buys a new LS. Then to compare the two in acceleration figures, as if somehow having the LS be within 1 second 0-60 somehow allows any rational comparison. No problem if he is on the Edmunds new Impala site. But not the SS site.

4. Notice how andre rightly compares the new LS to an Intrepid.

5. I own a modest 6-cylinder family 4-dr sedan. I use if for work. But my '00 Hyundai Sonata GLS is a V-6 with 5-speed manual transmission, ABS & traction control, leather, sunroof, etc. It is as sporting as possible a sedan for under $20,000. A great bargain and a real sleeper. I was pleased when CR top rated the Sonata GLS over the other 3 cars it competed against. (Thinking Malibu, Stratus, and Alero). But I would never post anything on an SS site trying equate my Sonata to my SS. Same is true for new LS.
    Check out the May Edmunds long-term review of the Hyundai Elantra. Reviewer discusses styling and comments that the one thing you don't want to emulate is the new Impala. Yes, this new Impala truly does sully the great name, looks, and performance of the '94-'96 SS. Whoever it was at Chevy who named the new platform "Impala" should've been shot and exiled to the Russian front, then captured, tortured, and sent to s Stalinist gulag where ChiCom psych specialists could do a Manchurian Candidate headjob.
    and you could even break his glasses....LOL!
    Yeah, just like that guy in the classic Twilight Zone episode who survives the end of the world. Mild mannered Caspar Milquetoast (who likely owned the '61 equivalent to an '01 Impala LS, say a slant 6 Valiant, but fantasizes like Walter Mitty about the '61 equivalent of a '96 Impala SS, say a '60s big block SS with 4-speed manual). He finds he enjoys being the sole survivor as he can now enjoy his time alone, without bother. Can't wait to catch up on his reading. Then he breaks his glasses! The horror.
  • larrys7larrys7 Member Posts: 35
    I found a LT1 complete wiring/computer, just missing the A/C compresor. Has transmision attached in the car w/only 22k on it. Thinking about a purchase and transplant to a street rod type project. Any ideas on what would be a good deal. Can purchase for $1,500. Painless wiring is $600.00 + several other item I will need.
    Can you hear it run?
    Nuthin' beats the '94-'96 Impala SS for a long-distance family vacation cruiser. Am writing this while in the Adirondack Mtns of Upstate NY. Drove 1,300 miles to get here. Made great time. And have lots of interior and trunk space. Averaged about 22.5 mpg at 74 mph, with wife, two kids, and a trunk full of luggage. She's been a blast driving in the mountains. All the power I need and she takes regular unleaded to boot.
    I didn't know the LT-1's could run on regular unleaded...cool! That was another reason why I was apprehensive a couple years ago when I was looking at a '96 Caprice. I just figured something with that much power would need hi-test.

Well, maybe one day, I'll get to add one to my fleet!
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    Further proof of the stupidity of General Motors:

The Holden Commodore SS is produced, for export, in Left-Hand Drive.

http://www.gmme.com/chevrolet_cars/caprice/caprice_ss.htm

That's the Caprice SS. Seems to be a mix of Holden Commodore SS and Holden Statesman/Caprice. Per Holden's website, neither comes in an "SS" Version, just the Commodore.

http://www.gmme.com/chevrolet_cars/lumina/lumina_ss.htm

That is the Middle East Chevrolet Lumina. It basically IS a LHD Commodore SS.

Now, the Commodre also comes to the Americas. A V6-Engined version is sold in Brazil as the Chevrolet Omega.

http://www.chevrolet.com.br

(I can't directly link to the Omega.. its' all thatsilly JavaScript).

So, would it be a stretch to import it? Nope.

Oh, want to know what the LHD Lumina SS sells for in the Middle East? About $24,000 plus tax. Extra for leather tho :)

GM is so incredibly out of touch with the marketplace its' scary.

Bill

• SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    Yeah, I think GM could go a long way towards improving thier operations in North America by bringing us the Aussie cars.

GM needs to get back to what they do so well... large, RWD cars with big engines.

Just my 2¢
    The near 2-week vacation included 3,300 miles of driving. My DCM bad baby was more than up to the challenge. Nary a problem with anything. She averaged about 22.68 mpg doing mostly 74 on interstate and 64 on state/county roads. Spent some time driving in urban areas of central NY. The driving in the Adirondacks was fun!!! My sister-in-law came back from Lake Placid riding with me. When we arrived, she said she didn't want to do that again. I told her I had to use the car's awesome capabilities. She was built to go fast and be driven hard. Just needs more supportive front seats so passengers don't slide in the curves!

Fuelled her on 87 octane regular the whole way. Cheapest was $1.069 in Speedway stations on US 30 in and around Valparaiso, Indiana. Upstate NY was $1.639-1.699. Illinois about $1.459-1.499. IA $1.299. Rest of Indiana about $1.229-1.329. W. Ohio & Penn $1.359-1.459. Premium was always about $.15-.20 more expensive.

And the interior and trunk space was fantastic. Had no problems bringing all the luggage back along with all the vacation crap. Including two 30 packs of Genny Cream Ale. Something we can't get in midwest and wife & I both love.
    Ah, bootlegging in a hotrod Chevy, hah? An OLD tradition!
  • jpstaxjpstax Member Posts: 250
    Some guy put SS badges on an Impala LS and installed dual exhaust. What a desecration.

http://ghostwolf.xaper.com/

• jpstaxjpstax Member Posts: 250
    Oops,

Here's the site with the SS badged Impala LS:

http://home.hawaii.rr.com/impala/

• triumphertriumpher Member Posts: 58
    Just came across this site and start to wonder. There seem to be people out there that consider the early 90's re-badged Caprice a sports car/ performance car. Just makes me wonder. I just sold my 94 LT1 powered Caprice/Impalla and would not dare to ever have called it sporty. Yes, it was powerful, yeas it was great for long distance travelling (I took it several times from Northern Wisconsin to California, but boy was it a dog as soon as the roads started to get curvy or the surface was a little bumpy (jumping and wallowing all over the place, even my after market air shocks did not help much). The car was meant to be a police cruiser and it never lost that feeling (color, badges, a powerful,great engine, and fat tires do not make a sport car ). If I want to drive sporty, I take my 1972 Triumph TR6, and if I want performance, I take my 1985 Porsche 911. And don't come me with modifications arguments (I think that I was modifying cars before many of you left their diapers behind), you can do only so much to a given concept and that's it! It is a Caprice and will always be one, not better or worth than the present Impalla, just different. and for those who think that you need rear wheel drive for performance, sit still, listen and learn! Just look at the rally results of the different Audis, yes there are some with AWD, but others have only FWD.

That's it for today, and I recommend that you appreciate the great cars that you have and not try to talk down to the owners of other cars. They might have a very good reason that they like their cars!
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Member Posts: 1,711
    I agree with you 100%. The '92 Caprice Classic wagon I test-drove recently was indeed a dog as soon as I put a long, winding road in front of it. My '93 Volvo 850 sedan could easily outhandle and out-brake any Caprice, no questions asked.
    ...there's going to be a big difference between a '92 Caprice wagon and an Impala SS. For one thing, about 75 less hp, and 300-400 lb more weight! Then theres the tires, suspension tuning, and all that other fun stuff. I mean, I could tell a big difference in handling just between a base '94 Caprice with a 4.3 V-8 and a '96 Caprice with the LT-1 350! Not only did it accelerate better, but it handled a lot better, too. I can't remember what mechanical differences there are between the Caprice LT-1 and the Impala SS though. Maybe wider rims, lower-profile tires, thicker sway bars, etc?

I had a friend whose dad had (maybe still has? This was years ago) a TR-6 from the early '70's. That thing was a dog. Now maybe his was ragged out or something, but the few times I rode in it, if felt like it was going to tip because it was so narrow, lost traction too easily, and just didn't feel all that fast.
    Well all you had for the US was a smog-strangled 104 HP 6-cylinder engine. In Britain, they had over 150HP and were a lot faster. The chassis was also typical primitive British sportscar of the period. You have to remember that the British auto industry was dying a slow death at this time.
    Basically the 1991-96 B-bodies were glorified versions of the original '77 version, right?
  • riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    jrosasmc... The '94-'96 Impala SS really is a different beast. More than just the sum of the parts differences or styling differences. Just drive an SS and a non-SS from the same year back-to-back and you'll see what I mean.
  • dbuckdbuck Member Posts: 2
    I recently bought a '96 Impala SS with 36K miles. I am very pleased with the car and DO consider it sporty. It accelerates, brakes and corners very well for a car weighing just over 4K pounds. I am amazed at how quickly low mileage '96 Impalas are being snatched up. I had two appointments to look at privately owned '96 models and both cars were sold before I could travel to view them.
    ...I drove two Caprices: a '94 with the 4.3 V-8, and a '96 with the LT-1 350. The '94 was nothing to brag about, but I was really impressed with the '96. One thing that I've heard (but don't know if it's true or not), was that GM actually designed the Roadmaster and Fleetwood to handle better than the Caprices. The SS was still above any of them, but I just think it's interesting that GM would put more effort into the Roadmaster/Fleetwood, considering the average type of buyer that would go for those cars!
  • dhyde1dhyde1 Member Posts: 2
  • dhyde1dhyde1 Member Posts: 2
    I bought this car new and I really like it. I was wondering if anybody has had problems with the driver's seat? I had to replace my seat twice because of a spring on the left side of the seat that polks though.
    I had to change the water pump too at 63,800 miles. and the brakes twice. other than that it's a good car.

Gold Wheels Tampa FL.
  • KThomp100KThomp100 Member Posts: 62
    Just bought a 96 Impala SS with only 14K on it. I flew down from Seattle to Bay area to look at it and it looks like it came off the showroom floor. I'll be picking it up in two weeks and driving it back to Seattle. Black with every option and only 1 owner. Paid $22,000 for it and can't wait to drive it. I am acutally selling my 99 Lexus GS 300 as my daily driver for this car! Just wanted to share in the excitement! Been reading the posts on here so I might know what to expect but this owner has already done the rear diff gasket change and been a perfectionist about the maintenance including flushing the radiator. Hopefully I will have many happy miles of driving in this classic. I was not really thrilled with the stock CD sound system and will probably try adding just an "amp" as I want to keep the stock head unit and I understand the speakers are actually pretty good but need more power behind them. ANy and all comments on the car or what I should keep an eye on would be appreciated.
    Just for the heck of it, I once went head-to-head with a '96 Impala SS while I was driving my '93 Mercury Villager on the freeway. Of course, it was a foolish thing to do, trying to put a minivan against a powerful full-size car.
  • davied99davied99 Member Posts: 16
    What was the original base price of the '94-'96 Impala SS? There's a dealer here in the DC area that (2-3 weeks ago) had 2 1996 editions, and listed them for $23,000. I was shocked that a 6 year old car could command that much without having a "BMW" on the front. Did they start at $40k or thereabouts? What did the Caprise start at?
    ...but I think most Impala SS models ran around $25,000 or so. I'd guess the Caprice started at around $19K for the base model, and maybe $21-22K for the LS? Just wild guesses here.
    According to the Standard Catalog of Chevrolet: 1912-1998, here are the prices for '96:

Caprice Classic sedan: $19,905
    Caprice Classic wagon: $22,405
    Impala SS sedan: $24,505
    No LS trim was offered starting in '95

Here's something weird that I discovered during my research: The catalog states that only 485 Caprice wagons were built in calendar-year 1996. If that's true, then that's one rare puppy right there.
  • riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    davied99... My dark cherry metallic '96 SS, which I bought May '96, had an MSRP of $25,600. It had all three available options (there were only 3). Think those were in-dash single CD, reflective windshield, and a Preferred Option Package. Total of the options was around $600. Believe the '94s started out around $23,000. Prices rose each year. There was at least one price increase in MY '96 after I bought mine. Believe base price rose about $600.

When I sold mine, 11/30/01, she had 26,000 original miles. Traded her in for a '98 BMW 540i6. I got $18,000 for her. This was the first Impala SS for the dealership. They were shocked at how high the NADA pricing info was. But there is high demand. They had no trouble selling it. Sold it to a Chevy dealer, probably for a customer.
    Supply and demand, that's what drives the price. Which is why the Caprice wagon, though rare, isn't worth much, because nobody cares that it's rare.
    Have you ever driven a '91-'96 Caprice wagon?
This discussion has been closed.