Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

ab348 said:

Jay Leno's turbine car being driven in a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2A5ijU3Ivs

WOW! Thanks....fascinating!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,151
    edited September 2014

WOW! Thanks....fascinating!

I have to love Jay. He acts like a normal person away from the stage and he is normal. I love seeing him in the various clips around his cars. Fiften years or more ago Jay stopped by to visit the gentleman who owned a 3-apartment building where my friend's mother lived in Southgate (KY, south Cincinnati sprawl). The elderly gentleman had a collection of some special antique autos in a large basement under the middle of the building where he and his wife lived. Jay had communicated with him and arranged to stop by to look and talk. I don't know that he bought anything.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,666

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

nyccarguy said:

"We have clearance Clarence". "Roger. Roger."

My little sister spoke to her friend at Subaru Corporate today. So apparently I'm getting a good deal, so my price stands. The car they got for me has a rear bumper appliqué, splash guards, auto dimming mirror with Compass, & a cargo net which they are throwing in. I'm happy with the deal I'm getting, buying from a great dealership, an easy to work with salesman, & it looks like "new car day" will be Saturday afternoon. I'm so excited!

Good for you Brad. That's what it's all about isn't it.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

stickguy said:

I plan to go shopping again this weekend. If someone would ever come and buy one (or both, fine by me!) of my spare cars, I could actually do it.

touched up the scratches on the TL today. after the monsoon tomorrow, I will give it a wax and detail the interior, then that ad goes up Friday. I will take the Volvo shopping, and will get a trade in quote just for the heck of it.

Still no luck on the Volvo? I thought you had a winner for sure. You should have had at least a few flakes try to low ball you.

driver100 said:

With all these posts these days you may not have time, but this is a very clever one minute VW ad

VW Ad in a movie theatre

For ex-educators (including oldfarmer on the school bus) this is a one minute telephone answering machine message.
    School Message - what we would like to say

This gave me practice doing my links!

I like both of those :p

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Sounds like the description of a 60s era Japanese 2 cylinder motorcycle.

I mean, which one of these gets your blood flowing:

Arnage
    Carrera
    Italia
    Phantom
    Continental GTC
    CT6
    robr2 said:

So the new Cadillac flagship will be named.............CT6.

All Cadillacs will go to the new nomenclature as they are redesigned.

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,976
    edited September 2014

Except that photo is of a 1966 T Bird. They didn't offer those landau tops in 1964 or 1965. Personally I never liked that look.

1964 T-Bird:

1966 T-Bird:

Look kind of the same.

(Imid, there are some similarities in the Turbo car and the 61 T-Bird too.)

According to Hagerty.ca they did offer Landau tops in 64, 65, and 66.
    Landau hardtops were offered in 1964 and 1965, a Special Landau hardtop appeared in 1965, and a Town hardtop and Town Landau debuted (both sans rear quarter glass) in 1966 (not sure what that means, but they had them) The rear tailight went across the back on the 66 model.

First I answered then I saw Roadrunner replied...sorry, don't mean to become obssessive about this dilemma/dilemna!

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,091
    What's a dilemna? ;)

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

ab348 said:

What's a dilemna? ;)

It's like a "dilemma" for 10% of the world's population. ;)

driver100 said:

sb55 said:

driver100 said:

This will be a bit hard to answer, but, is there a reason you chose the GM over the others, or was it an automatic choice?

My choice of Ford over Chevy or GM was also related to the square lines. Ford is just a little more square than the others. Also, no one makes a red color to match Ford. I've noticed that for years. Still, all three makes are quality trucks. What amazes me about today's trucks is that you get so much luxury and interior room for the price. I also love the visibility because you are elevated.

Richard

I like the square lines of the F 150 as well. Also the squared off and neat looking instrument panel. The square lines are even carried into the interior, with the seats and doors all having square styling. And, since I am "vision obsessive", I think the way the front side windows dips is a nice touch.

Finally, I now know what you mean by the "feel of the road". With the truck, I can actually feel parts of the road, but it isn't a bumpy ride. It's not a Cadillac ride; it's just comfortable while letting you know that the road is there. I can see now why it was difficult for you to explain it.

Richard

I am glad that you have experienced "the feel of the road". I had a 2000 Jeep Cherokee, and though the ride was a bit harsh, I liked it because you felt exactly what you got. It was the real thing, not a phony spongy ride. You know when you go over a bump, but you don't really feel it.

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Please take our survey:

What safety technologies do you want in your next car?

(I know y'all won't be able to resist posting in here, but please take our survey too. :) )
  • abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    stever said:
    Please take our survey: What safety technologies do you want in your next car? (I know y'all won't be able to resist posting in here, but please take our survey too. :) )

Good survey.  Results should be interesting.

2021 Genesis G90

• nelsonfnelsonf Member Posts: 104
    Will we be able to see the results?

Currently own: 2017 BMW M4, 2011 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X Used to own: 2008 VW R32, 1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport, 1987 BMW 325IS

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,318
    Imid, Thanks for posting that video about the Turbine car. I thought I would only watch a few minutes of it, but ended up enjoying the whole thing.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • mako1amako1a Member Posts: 1,855
    I seem to want all the new technology, but it should be included in all cars because I'm too cheap to pay for it. In other words, cars are expensive enough, they should just add it for free.

2013 Mustang GT, 2001 GMC Yukon Denali

Imid, Thanks for posting that video about the Turbine car. I thought I would only watch a few minutes of it, but ended up enjoying the whole thing.

I'm glad others enjoyed it as much as I have.

edited September 2014
    mako1a said:
    I seem to want all the new technology, but it should be included in all cars because I'm too cheap to pay for it. In other words, cars are expensive enough, they should just add it for free.

The way the survey was designed, it separates those drivers who think specific safety features that are "nice to have" and those that are "definitely essential" based on whether you would pay for the technology and, if so, how much would you pay.

I would think the results would/could assist manufacturers in planning what features should be offered and whether or not the feature should be standard or optional.

Mercedes made an optional safety feature from previous years a standard feature for 2015 on all their cars - collision avoidance braking.  If the sensors/computer identify a possible collision scenario, if after the alarm indicators are sounded the brakes have not been applied, the computer applies the brakes with proportionate energy in order to avoid the collision - front If going forward, rear if going backward.  It is separate from their Distronic Plus system as it is not associated with cruise control.

2021 Genesis G90

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,547
    I'm with Mako. I want a lot of stuff if free, just too cheap to pay for a lot of it. But, there were a few that I didn't want or didn't have an opinion.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

stever said:

Please take our survey:

(I know y'all won't be able to resist posting in here, but please take our survey too. :) )

I took the survey, just for my good friend stever. The short answer to the survey is, I'll take any safety device if it comes free. About the only one's I would pay for are the lae change warnings and the rear camera. The others are nice but I have gotten along without them for 50 years so don't matter too much. But, I think the new Mercedes comes with all of those features, so they aren't "free", but they are included in the price.

edited September 2014
    @nelson, it sounds like another PR push about the survey will go out in other channels in a week (maybe two). Then the results will have to be massaged and collated. Then stuff will start getting published.

Have no idea really, but my guess is at least a month for the first articles to start showing up, probably more like six weeks..

Thanks everyone!
  • fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    I hate the idea of extra cost safety items. If the manufacturers really consider something that key to safety why on earth would they not make it available as standard equipment. Are they saying less affluent customers aren't worthy?
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    well, nothing is free. if they make the stuff standard, the price goes up for everyone. So, if there are really people that don't want it, making it optional works out the best.

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    If all of this crap worked flawlessly for 10-15 years, I might be interested in some of it.

The reality is that it will fail and people will have been forced to pay extra to have something that doesn't work.

Oh boy.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    fezo said:
    I hate the idea of extra cost safety items. If the manufacturers really consider something that key to safety why on earth would they not make it available as standard equipment. Are they saying less affluent customers aren't worthy?

I don't believe they preach "genocide" for less affluent customers, fez.

The U.S. Government dictates/mandates those safety features that MUST be added to all cars sold in the U.S.  But there safety features that are not considered essential but there are customers who want, need or desire an extra measure of safety and are willing to pay for them.

Lane Tracking and Blind Spot Monitors are not essential for most drivers, however older drivers who have more limited abilities may want those features to bolster their less-than-perfect vision.  Same is true for accident avoidance features like front and rear radar sensors to assist in parking or obstructions.  Older drivers or handicapped drivers may want that additional security knowing their car will alert them if they missed something in their side or rear mirror.

Slowly but surely, these "optional" safety features have been mandated as essential By the Feds and have become standard features on all cars.

In the future, I would expect rear view cameras and parking sensors to become a required feature on al U.S. Cars.

So it is a matter of choice, not a secret movement out there to create a genocidal approach to ridding the world of less affluent human beings. :smile: 

2021 Genesis G90

I am pretty sure that rear view cameras are going to be required soon. Maybe 2015?

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    edited September 2014

Technology has come a long way and I'm loving it.  Night vision is something I would really like but I'm sure that would be an expensive option. 

By the way this was a voice activated post from my Samsung Galaxy S5

The survey says would you purchase this option if it cost $100 to $500. I'd take them all if they were $100....for $1000 I'd have a car with every safety device on the market. For $500 each, $5000 total, I would choose more carefully.

I find most surveys don't really ask the right question.

And, I don't think the safety devices are a conspiracy to rid ourselves of less affluent consumers.

bwia said:

Technology has come a long way and I'm loving it.  Night vision is something I would really like but I'm sure that would be an expensive option. 

By the way this was a voice activated post from my Samsung Galaxy S5

Funny, it doesn't sound like you!!! :smile: 

2021 Genesis G90

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,328
    abacomike said:

@robr2‌ said:

";When I keep it in my pocket, I can't hear the tones and most of my shirts don't have breast pockets.

When you have your phone in your shirt pocket be very careful when you bend over to pick something up (he posts from experience).

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

driver100 said:

All U-Haul trucks here have Arizona License plates. That is so they don't have to comply with our anti-pollution laws..

And all this time I thought it was because they are domiciled in Arizona.

even worse, when you bend over to flush.

Hope no one has updated their new iPhone

I updated my iPhone 4S to a Galaxy S5 and I am so happy I did.

@driver100, you should have been a politician, when it comes to facts, in the neighborhood is ok. I saw that car at the 1964 Worlds Fair. It's a Turbine car and I'm pretty sure it was presented as a 1965 model. Not always easy to remember you saw something back when you were 8 years old.

Several Turbine cars were provided to the general public for testing as well. Fuel economy and production cost did the gas turbine in as an automotive powerplant.
    I read an article on those cars, It said that the fuel economy was comparable to a 6 cyclinder of the day and that the acceleration at the start was like driving through wet cement. However once it got up to 25 or so acceleration was acceptable.

edited September 2014
    So what happens when you "butt dial" in voice mode when some jerk cuts you off and your boss picks up the phone at that very instance?

Composing forum replies works good on the iPad, but I rarely can pry that loose from my wife, and then I want to play pinball on it.

Going to cross post this in Project Cars, but I may have to quit reading my local craigslist.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,091
    Well, the end of lease inspection went well with no issues found. They do them very efficiently these days. The guy left me a card with a couple of codes on it and I was able to access it tonight on their website with a couple of dozen pictures he took along with his report. Clean as a whistle. Still have not heard a peep from the dealer. Maybe they'll forget to call me and I can just keep driving it!

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

If the car was processed by the inspector, I wonder how long it would take before someone realized it never turned up, and went looking for it?

• oldbearcatoldbearcat Member Posts: 197

ab348 said:

Jay Leno's turbine car being driven in a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2A5ijU3Ivs

I attended a presentation on the Chrysler Turbine Car on the University of Cincinnati campus back in the 60's. Two Chrysler engineers did a dog and pony show with the car to my engineering class. I was really impressed with the car. If I remember correctly, they said it made 120 HP - with a flat torque curve - so it performed pretty good for the day. I loved the color scheme it had, and, bought a 67 Barracuda notchback coupe with the black vinyl top and turbine bronze body. It was a beautiful little pony car, but, a reliability nightmare. Really enjoyed the Leno video - thanks for posting it.

Regards:
    Oldbearcat
    Jay Leno's turbine car being driven in a video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2A5ijU3Ivs
    I attended a presentation on the Chrysler Turbine Car on the University of Cincinnati campus back in the 60's. Two Chrysler engineers did a dog and pony show with the car to my engineering class. I was really impressed with the car. If I remember correctly, they said it made 120 HP - with a flat torque curve - so it performed pretty good for the day. I loved the color scheme it had, and, bought a 67 Barracuda notchback coupe with the black vinyl top and turbine bronze body. It was a beautiful little pony car, but, a reliability nightmare. Really enjoyed the Leno video - thanks for posting it. Regards: Oldbearcat

Hey, Oldbearcat, thanks for posting your experiences with Chrysler engineers at the U. Of Cinncinati.  Nice to hear from you!

2021 Genesis G90

• sterlingdogsterlingdog Member Posts: 6,984
    stever said:

Please take our survey:

I did the survey just for you.

Richard
  • sterlingdogsterlingdog Member Posts: 6,984
    driver100 said:

The survey says would you purchase this option if it cost $100 to $500. I'd take them all if they were $100....for $1000 I'd have a car with every safety device on the market. For $500 each, $5000 total, I would choose more carefully.

And, I don't think the safety devices are a conspiracy to rid ourselves of less affluent consumers.

They could have done the survey with one question: We know that you would like all of the safety features, but would you be willing to pay for them?

Richard

edited September 2014

driver100 said:

They could have done the survey with one question: We know that you would like all of the safety features, but would you be willing to pay for them?

Richard

Of course NOT!

I would definitely pay for lane change warnings and a rear camera. Everything else is good to have, but I would pay up to $1000 for a package to have all of them. I think I did have to buy a tech package for the new MB that came with a bunch of other stuff like keyless start etc that did cost a few $1000. Not much point in buying a luxury car without all the basic new toys - I'd probably never resell it again.

edited September 2014
    Here's a car with looks AND and unusual naming system. It's a cB7. Since Cadillac is using CT6 for it's new rear wheel drive sedan, this article in a GM discussion caught my eye. And it's CANADIAN/French. Felini sounds like a pasta. But there's nothing limp about this puppy. See video at end.

Notice the long hood

Video. Click to view
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=PZLHCzmcPW8

Here's a car with looks AND and unusual naming system. It's a cB7. Since Cadillac is using CT6 for it's new rear wheel drive sedan, this article in a GM discussion caught my eye. And it's CANADIAN/French. Felini sounds like a pasta. But there's nothing limp about this puppy. See video at end. Notice the long hood Video. Click to view http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=PZLHCzmcPW8

That side view looks like a picture of an Opel GT that was slightly stretched. 

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,358
    The side effect of all these safety features is illustrated in the Infiniti commercial where the guy driving is an oblivious moron who depends on the car to save him from his abysmal lack of driving skills...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

I hate that ad. Especially the tag line (it lets you concentrate on driving or some such). Since basically it shows the opposite.

The side effect of all these safety features is illustrated in the Infiniti commercial where the guy driving is an oblivious moron who depends on the car to save him from his abysmal lack of driving skills...

You noticed that too. If that is your typical Infiniti driver I will steer clear of them if I see them on the road. 

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

driver100 said:

Richard

Excellent point, Richard.

How's the truck doing?
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    rb - point well taken. I hate those Infiniti ads.

I remember that you would not buy a car with some of these nanny features. There's definitely a point to that.

I could use the lane change thing but it's hardly a requirement. There's also no doubt that any new car - even a Hyundai Accent of its Kia equivalent will have way more safety features than what any of us are driving here. One area where trickle down actually works. For most of the high tech stuff the ability to shut it off would be nice.

When I had Hondas the default mode on traction control was off(though if you needed it it would come on anyway). On the Mazda the default is on so I'm constantly turning it off.

What ever happened to delete options? You could equip a car standard with a lot of those features and if someone would rather save money than have them there would be a cheaper model that's below standard.

It bothered me when rear discs were an option. Way back when we bought the 00 Accord 4 wheel discs were only on the EX. That was the only way to get a stick and a sunroof (down, rb!) was an EX so I sold my wife on the brakes... Well, she wanted the sunroof, too.

What strikes me as odd is adding options on a $70,000 car, but to each his own I suppose.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    I have really grown fond of the backup camera. Thinking about a car for me/daughter to share, would really like to have that. Unless it is something small with decent rear visibility, like a Golf. that does not really need one. The S40 we have now has terrible visibility out the back, but I think that because it is so short, doesn't really matter!

I would actually like the RH side blind spot monitoring. That sounds useful for trips down 95. That is such an awful road, anything helps.

the rest of that stuff, not all that interested. Though on a Subaru, the eyesight could be a nice emergency system. But at $1,200, a bit pricey.