Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura MDX (pre-2007)

Comments

• bilmatbilmat Member Posts: 53
    I had Prostripe molding installed on my GG Touring/Nav. Photos of it are posted in the Gallery section of the www.acuramdx.org web site. To see them, go to the site, click on "Forums," then click on "Gallery," and finally on the link that says something like "GG Touring/Nav with Side Body Molding." Details about the installation and costs are included with the photos. (Note: There was a problem earlier in that you couldn't get to the Gallery directly from the home page; you first had to go to the Forums section, then click on "Gallery.")
  • mohan3mohan3 Member Posts: 1
    I am considering buying an mdx, and wanted to know how much cargo space it has when the third-row seats are being used. Most of the time I won't be using the third-row seats, but would need to do so at least once or twice a year.

Also, when does the 2002 model come out? Considering the reliability problems the Ody has had, would it make sense to wait till next year's mdx comes out? Any advice would be appreciated.
  • nwaringnwaring Member Posts: 3
    I just ordered (1/15/01) a base MDX from a northwestern Pennsylvania dealer. The wait time is estimated at 10 weeks and I purchased for MSRP with $1000 down. Options are my choice, quoted installed price of options is somewhat higher than the Acura web site. I am going to get the tailgate deflector and I am wondering if anyone has an opinion on weather the moon roof visor will reduce the efficiency of the tailgate deflector? Of course that assuming the tailgate deflector does anything but sit up there and look pretty. Thank you.
  • go_mdx1go_mdx1 Member Posts: 135
    rkuehn: I'm not trying to be cheap on my MDX but I'm also not willing to throw money away. If Farm filters (and other quality filter brands) are inferior to dealer stock, I have not heard of this! Does anyone have any data (i.. Consumer Reports, Car magazine article, etc...) or experience to indicate dealer stock is superior??
  • scubaflexscubaflex Member Posts: 13
    Fram is and has always been one of the top rated filters available. I am confident it is every bit as good if not better than any filter Acura provides for the MDX. Secondly, there is no significant data indicating that Premium Gas (93 octane) is any better than Regular (87 octane). There have been studies which indicate the attitional value offered by a higher octane gas is trivial. FYI, I've run all grades of octane from 87 to 93 in my MDX and have noticed absolutely no performance or mileage difference between the grades. So why fall for the marketing some suit dreamed up. buy quality tested filters like Fram and don't worry about feeding your MDX 87 octane --> you don't need the 93.
  • mtm01mtm01 Member Posts: 1
    I can't believe my MDX has arrived! My dealer wants to know what I want on my beige base and I want to add the base carrier for looks but am wondering if this will add a lot to the wind noise? Any comments? Thanks! (I'm also adding rear splash guards, wheel locks, wood knob and panel)
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    There isn't much room behind the MDX's third-row seat. Maybe enough for four-five paper bags of groceries. In other words, slightly more than an ML, but definitely less than than most minivans.

Please note that you can fold half of the third-row seat and get some cargo room there.

If the space is not sufficient, full-size SUV's like the Sequoia, or a number of minivans, have more room behind the third-row seat.
  • msu79gt82msu79gt82 Member Posts: 541
    We have an Expedition (and an MDX on order). The MDX has less space with the 3rd row up than the Expedition has but not a lot less (MDX exceeds the Expy with 3rd row folded down by the way!). Ditto for the Sequoia. However as wmquan pointed out above the 3rd row in the MDX splits unlike the Expeditions. Again let me emphasize that Sequoia/Expedition has more room but not a whole lot more; how much do you need?

The only SUV on the planet that will seat adults comfortably in the 3rd seat AND carry lots of cargo is the Surburban. Period.
  • ardvarkusardvarkus Member Posts: 90
    Semicolon;

Excursion (bigger than the Surburban)

Then period.
  • rkuehnrkuehn Member Posts: 120
    Yea, the oil filter thing is a pet peeve of mine. Consider this commentary:

"Years ago Fram was a quality filter manufacturer. Now their standard filter (the radioactive-orange cans) is one of the worst out there. It features cardboard end caps for the filter element that are glued in place. The rubber anti-drainback valve seals against the cardboard and frequently leaks, causing dirty oil to drain back into the pan. The bypass valves are plastic and are sometimes not molded correctly, which allows them to leak all the time. The stamped-metal threaded end is weakly constructed and it has smaller and fewer oil inlet holes, which may restrict flow. I had one of these filters fail in my previous car. The filter element collapsed and bits of filter and glue were circuilating through my system. The oil passge to the head became blocked and the head got so hot from oil starvation that it actually melted the vacuum lines connected to it as well as the wires near it."

Here's the source article:
    http://members.nbci.com/minimopar/oilfilters.html
  • viking7viking7 Member Posts: 6
    Scubaflex,

What are you talking about. Premium fuel serves one purpose it allows for higher compression pressures in the combustion cylinder. If a vehicle requires premium fuel the pistons are compressing the air/fuel mixture to a point where the fuel would detonate on pressure only. Higher Octane (ie Premium) fuel allows a higher compression ratio.

If the fuel air mixture detonates before the spark plug fires you will have knocking which will eventually cause engine damage. Lucky for you the MDX and most engines that require high octane fuels have a knock sensor that will cause the CPU to retard timing (i.e. reduce piston travel) and thereby compression.

But here's the trade less compression equals less power + more pollution + less gas mileage (this all a fact). The ten cents you save per gallon will more than be consumed by less gas mileage...so in fact you are wasting more money burning 87 octane.

The problem is some people equate the word premium in premium fuel to being higher quality. Premium (or better stated, high octane) fuel allows for higher compression ratios. Higher compression ratios are a good thing...as long as the engine is designed for the higher pressure.

High Octane (again premium) is of no benefit for a car designed for lower Octane fuel.

Bottom line for the MDX there is NO negative to using premium fuel. There is no reason to use low octane fuel
  • albert123albert123 Member Posts: 71
    Redwood City Acura has 11 months wait because it's closer to the South Bay than Santa Rose and Modesto. Seems to me 4424jm's deal is ok given the current market condition here. The price they charge for your addons are definitely inflated though. One more thing to watch, the wait time they gave you might not realize.
  • scubaflexscubaflex Member Posts: 13
    The point of my original post represents the reality that the 6 Octane difference between 87 and 93 is conseqentually insignificant. It will not provide noticably better performance or gas milage. If you don't believe me ... test it out on your MDX, you won't notice a difference. I'm sure if performance meters where used perhaps they will detect a difference to some magnitude. The point is PI is 3.14 and 3.1416... They both are PI. Just because it is detectable on a meter doesn't mean it is noticable to the casual observer.
  • viking7viking7 Member Posts: 6
    Scubaflex,

I recommend you do some reading on engine theory. Using 87 octane fuel you will be reducing compression by approximately 7-10% as opposed to 91 octane (no need for 93). Because of the variables involved in day to day driving (ie temperature, traffic, route, your daily driving technique, and a thousand other minute variables) there is no way you can judge by your fuel usage or seat of the paints acceleration. But rest assured your engine (all other things equal) is substantally less power on 87 octane as opposed to 91 octane. All things being equal you WILL develop less horsepower, less gass mileage, and generate more pollution. Why do you think Honda engineered this engine to run on high octane fuel? (Here's the answer...it's more efficient. It costs a little more to build an engine to withstand the higher compression ratios, but the result is better performance.) If you want to run your engine with retarded timing that's your choice...but don't state that performance is equal.
  • cotmccotmc Member Posts: 1,081
    mtm01:

From what I can tell, it seems that the base carrier (roof rack) adds some wind noise to the cabin at highway speeds. I've noticed some posts from Oct thru Dec in this forum that complained about MDX wind noise, and they all seemed to have the Touring Package (with roof rack). I remember not seeing much of any complaints from owners who had the base model. Maybe a couple...

I have a base MDX, and I can't complain much about the wind noise. I think I notice more tire/road noise than wind noise.

Probably the best source I have available is from Ann Job, a professional auto reviewer who has a review of the MDX posted at the Acura MDX page at Carpoint (carpoint.msn.com). She gave the MDX a final score of "9 out of 10", but she also noted the following:

"I noticed, in back-to-back drives of vehicles with and without roof racks, that the MDX with roof rack has more wind noise."

If you look at the design of the base carrier from the front of the MDX, you can definitely see the potential for it to generate some air drag. It doesn't appear as aerodynamic as the roof rack on the M-Class or X5.
  • nyckidnyckid Member Posts: 16
    ahossa asked if I could explain the deal I got for my baby.

Here's the timeline as well as the financials:

Price w/tax & accessories: $40k
    Truck:
    MDX ($34,850)

Accessories:
    Wheel Locks ($99)
    Rear Mudflaps ($99)
    Tailgate Deflector ($495)
    Running Boards ($995)
    Full Size Spare ($389)
    Moonroof Visor ($169)
    Burlwood Shiftknob ($199)

Miscellaneous:
    Registration Transfer ($50)
    Documantation Fee ($20)

If you negotiate, you can get some of the option prices shaved.... but I would wait until you get your VIN before doing that. Some of my accessory prices were a little high (Shift knob, mudflaps), but some of the more expensive ones were shaved when I said that I wanted a better price (Full size spare @ dealer cost).

I have ordered the following from Tim at Hondacuraworld because they require little or no labor on my part:
    All Season Mats: $91
    Cargo Cover: $104
    Cargo Tray: $89.70
    Cargo Net: $37.70
    Wood Meter Panel: $99

I leased as I didn't want the hassle of selling my car when I upgraded to my next car or got a new MDX. They were able to residualize $400 from the Running Boards, however.

I ordered on November 15, 2000 (I got bumped up from someone who had ordered in October) I got my VIN# on December 22, 2000. I drove my car away on January 11, 2000.

The original build date for my car was Dec 5 - 9. This got changed because the factory was running behind. My pickup changed, also, because of the snowstorm we had in the Northeast. In any case, I totally forgot how excrutiating the wait was once I drove off!!!!

Hope this helps anyone.
  • always49always49 Member Posts: 29
    I bought my MDX a month ago. Everything works great except one. When I stop (or slow down) and make a right turn, there is a sound coming from the front wheels (or somewhere around there). It sounds like hitting a rock or a bump. It doesn't happen everytime when I make a right-turn. But the strange/funny thing is that it happens most the time when I make the right-turn to Lawrence Exp on the way to work. It also happens occationally

Is there anyone who has the same experience? I read some of your comments long time ago and did see someone had experienced the same problem. Did you go to the dealer? What solution did you get? I've made an appointment with dealer already, but I want to get some info from here first. The people here are the real expert of MDX.

Thanks all.
  • albert123albert123 Member Posts: 71
    I too make a right turn onto Lawrence Exp. Is it something(rocks...) on the road that makes the noise? If you're certain it's not caused by the road, you should have the dealer check it out.
  • mdxedmdxed Member Posts: 1
    I have also experienced similar strange sound when turning right on a downhill driveway. It feels as if the brake pads are moving from their place. This also happens when I turn right from a complete stop. Do you have any new info on this?
    mdxed, you remind me. That's a slight downhill driveway right-turn. My appointment with the dealer is next wednesday (24th). I'll post whatever I got from there.

albert123, there is no rocks or bump at all while I make turn (from central exp east, exit on South Lawrence and right turn to merge to Lawrence). You can give a try if you don't mind to test your MDX. Anyway thanks for your posting. I appreciate it.
  • tomlynchtomlynch Member Posts: 1
    fwit, ordered MDX Oct 8 and was delivered Dec 4. That first week, noticed right rear door locks and window were inoperable. Took it in and repaired with no hassle. Had 97 QX4 and am much happier with the ride of the MDX. The power is nice too going from 165 to 240hp.
  • ucsdtritonucsdtriton Member Posts: 9
    To "always49" and "mdxed," you are not alone!

If you check my message (#914 or #915?), I described the same problem. My dealer, Cush Acura of San Diego, CA, is attempting to diagnose the problem right now. They have been "stumped" so far, but the service advisor has said they are applying "chassis ears" to try to pinpoint the problem.

These problems have been a real nuisance so far (I also bought my MDX last month), but I must admit the service at the dealer has been excellent and the MDX otherwise has been impressive.

When I get my baby back, I will post what the dealer has fixed and also post the last 6 digits of my VIN and date of build, to compare it to others having the same problem, I'm curious to learn if maybe it was a certain batch of MDXs, it would probably be beneficial to Acura and other owners.

Talk to you later.
  • diglessdigless Member Posts: 2
    Just got our MDX yesterday. Paid too much, but did not have the wait. My issue is that we got a yellow engine light in the dash last night (logged about 50 miles in total). Dealer says never experienced problem and needs to check. Did tighten gas cap like instructed. Anyone run into this issue before and was it resolved?
  • innchanginnchang Member Posts: 1
    My new GG MDX front emblem got lost over the weekend. I don't know how it happened, but it's gone! I need to order a new one to install it back. Does anyone have any idea? Is this the same procedure as to install the gold plated emblem? How difficult it is to have it done? Thanks!
    That's good idea to post the last 6 digits of VIN number and the date of build, and exchange the info from dealer. I saw ucsdtriton who bought MDX on 12/14. I bought mine on 12/9, two dates are pretty close. How about you, mdxed? I am in Bay Area, California.

ucsdtriton, when you had your MDX in dealer to check, did they rent you a car to drive or not? I am just curious to ask and see if any warranty covers the rental car.
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    There was a MDX vs Denali comparison in the Toronto Star today. Basic conclusion was if your primary goal is to ferry kids around town.. MDX is probably you choice. If you want to tow anything, carry a bit more cargo or go off road, Denali is probably your choice. Both great vehicles, very different characteristics.
  • kenyeekenyee Member Posts: 738
    innchang:
    If it's what kids do w/ BMW/MB emblems, some kid swiped it and stuck it on his backpack.
    Do you have any scratch marks? They're usually just attached via adhesive, so it could have fallen off if there are no marks...
    Does anyone know any specific way to fix scratches on the rear bumper. My MDX got couple scratches on the right side of the rear bumper. They are not very bad, but bother me a lot for those days. I know the bumper is plastic and has no rusty issue. But I remember that on some TV show there is some product that can wipe off scratches easily. Do you think it's reliable Thanks a lot.
    I have used the product you are talking about (on my old car). It can be bought at K-Mart, or any auto store. The only thing that might be of interest is that it only repairs "surface" scratches. If, when you rub your fingers over the scratches, you can feel the paint protruding, the scratches are too deep for it to work perfectly. It will still improve the appearance, however.

I am wondering if using one of those clay waxing products will help?
    Thanks a lot, nyckid. My scratches are deep ones like you described. As long as the product (what's it called?) can improve, I'd like to give a try. BTW, is there any side effect, like the surrounding area will become less shining than before? Thanks for your info.
  • dklydkly Member Posts: 4
    digless: I had the same problem with the check engine light, except mine came on around 2,000 miles. Brought my MDX to the dealership three times so far. If the light comes on again, I'm considering sending a notice to Honda under the lemon laws of California. The first time, they thought I didn't turn the fuel cap enough. The second time, they thought it was a broken valve which they replaced. The third time, it turned out to be a loose hose. It's been about two weeks since I got my MDX back and the check engine light has stayed off so far. Hopefully it will be fine going forward. Good luck.

dkly
  • ucsdtritonucsdtriton Member Posts: 9
    (In particular, always49 and mdxed)

Update: I brought my MDX in Monday morning, I checked with them today (Wednesday 4pm), they still have NOT cured the sound. (For those of you not keeping up, it's a knock, pop coming from the front somewhere, in my case directly under the left footwell, when making a right turn, conditions vary) They have tried loosening and then retightening all pertinent chassis bolts, they say the sound has decreased but is still not gone. They are coordinating with Acura Tech to find a solution.

THEY HAVE TESTED 3 OTHER MDXs JUST OFF THE TRUCK, AND THEY ALL MAKE THE SAME SOUND! SOME LOUDER.

Personally, I "love" this car, it's utility, luxury, looks, etc., I even think the service department is first rate, but if they cannot cure this problem, as "dkly" is suggesting, I will do everything in my power to utilize the California Lemon Laws (which I will learn more about if need be, hopefully not), to get my money back or another car.

Will keep you all posted...
    RC from San Diego

PS - "always49" and "mdxed", my VIN's last six digits are "508535" (I don't know the build date or if it's even on the MDX, because the dealer still has mine, also if either of you don't want to provide your VIN or whatever, its fine). But this may not matter if this is a problem for all MDXs, based on what the service department has just told me about the 3 MDXs they just got.

And, yes, my dealer has always provided a rental car for me when my MDX has been in for warranty service, via an in house Enterprise Rent-A-Car satellite office. My service advisor has just told me that if they can't fix it by tomorrow, they will give me an Acura "loaner" car so they don't have to continue paying Enterprise.
  • mdxinfomdxinfo Member Posts: 9
    I have not seen any official safety/crash tests on the MDX. Does anyone have any official reports or personal experiences with this aspect of the MDX.
    Thanks!
  • domin001domin001 Member Posts: 3
    Can someone please post the link to the web site for ordering parts from ?Honda Acura World? I know that it has been mentioned before, but I can't find it despite scrolling through hundreds of messages. Also, has anyone had any problems with ordering from this source?

Thanks.
  • canadianclcanadiancl Member Posts: 1,078
    I had a 2000 Prelude that had a recurring problem with the check engine light coming on. They never did manage to fix it. Kept replacing different parts, but to no avail. I finally had to take Honda to arbitration and forced a buyback.
    Have you added anything to your MDX that may have screwed up the electrical systems, ie. extra alarm, siren, etc.?
  • dklydkly Member Posts: 4
    canadiancl: No. The only accessories I have in my MDX are non-electrical factory accessories (rear mud guard, cargo cover, cargo net, cargo tray, hitch and the two coolers). Thanks for the suggestion though. I'd like to hear about your experience with the Honda arbitration in case the check engine light comes back again. Thanks. dkly
  • mdx1mdx1 Member Posts: 63
    Click here to go to Hondacuraworld.
  • canadianclcanadiancl Member Posts: 1,078
    I live in BC, Canada where there is no lemon law. What we do have is an arbitration process administered by the BBB. The beauty of it is that it is free and relatively quick. What you have to do is make sure you have exhausted all usual avenues to resolve your problem, which means letting the dealer's service dept have a reasonable chance to try to fix the problem. If they can't, then you would try to get a resolution thru the management of the dealer, then thru Honda customer service. In my case the problem surface within the first 2000 km, and after 1/2 dozen visits and almost 2 months, they still had no idea what was causing it. I requested a replacement car, dealer said no. I requested the same thing thru Honda Canada. They said no. So I filed for binding arbitration. The hearing took place within 6 weeks after I filed, and the (buyback)decision was rendered 1 week later. So in my case it was relatively quick and painless. My advice for anyone who suspects that the defect he/she is encountering may be something out of the ordinary is start documenting everything in detail. Every service visit, every conversation with anybody related to the matter, what fixes were tried, etc, etc. And get copies of every work order at the time of the service. In my case I discovered that my dealer presented slightly altered work orders at the hearing to support Honda's position. I think what sealed the case for me was that the service manager at the hearing told the arbitrator that he had no idea what the cause of the problem was, nor could he estimate how much more time would be needed to rectify the problem. Maybe he was secretly trying to help me without getting in trouble with the higher-ups at Honda?! I've dealt with him for years, and I'd always admired his integrity. Couldn't say the same for Honda
    Canada though!
  • quadguy1quadguy1 Member Posts: 9
    I have read a number of comments to the effect of: The base MDX stereo system
    is mediocre and the Touring Edition stereo is barely better; the best thing you can do is
    buy the base system and replace the speakers.

Can anyone with listening experience with both systems comment? Is the system really
    that poor? Is the Touring Ed version really that little better (not a problem for me, as I didn't
    get the Touring Ed in order to get the SUV within a month)?

Hopefully, this will at least sound better than that piece of $$!@! in my '99 Subaru Outback.
    Whaddapieceof... I'd hope it would at least sound as good as the Alpine/Honda stereo
    in my old '91 Honda Accord...
  • weinheimerweinheimer Member Posts: 6
    First of all,I love my MDX. The more I drive it, the more it is appreciated. I drove an Explorer before this.

Cargo space: Is essentially the same as old Explorer, with the 3rd row down.

Brake Hiss: Yes, I did notice this initially. It is still there, but I don't really "notice it" anymore. Not a real biggy.

THUD: Yes, once in a while I do notice a thud, from below, toward the rear. Have read some posts indicating it might be the torque converter locking and then unclocking. Not a real biggy ... will wait to see what Acura says downline.

Tailgate noise: Yes, this was a biggy to me. When I would go over a bump/and kind of turn sideways, I would hear a noise. THought it was the tailgate. Took it in. THey worked with Acura techs, and found it to be something related to the spirals around the pillars. Anyway, it took an afternoon ... and it is gone.

Cargo cover: FIrst one I had ... kind of rattled, had it replaced. No longer hear it kind of jump and down after each bump. I do find it a bit of a nuisance to have to take it out CAREFULLY (squeeze the ends in) as to not scratch the inside of the car ... and it doesn't really fit horizontally if you just want to place it behind the 3rd rows. Sometimes at carpool, I pick up a few extra kids, need the back seat. BUt, I kind of need to know in advance, to take the cargo cover off and kind of place in my garage. Will look into the $13 vinyl cargo cover at COstco .... but I don't think this would easily come up/fold etc. I currently have an old clear shower curtain down, which can easily be picked up and placed in the storage bin. But, this is under the cargo "cover" ... can't be seen by and large. Think the Acura liner is several hundred ... and has to be "installed" ...????? Any info on this item would be appreciated.

Do really enjoy the navigation system. Have used quite a bit. But for the most part, I drive around with the clock setting ... in large print. I need this all the time!!

Did get the mats. Love them. Can only get them for first and second rows from Acura. At the carwash, I bought some cheapy beige ones, and turned them over so the black side shows ... actually got 3 small ones ... for the back row. TUrned one vertically ... for where kids step in from outside.

It's wider than my Explorer .... do notice the width going into garage, but have gotten used to it. Not a situation where windows have to be folded in. THe tailgate also goes up, it's close, but does not hit the garage top door. I had looked seriously at Tahoe .... but found its size to be unappealing .... in real life ... day to day driving in school carpools, grocery store lots, etc. etc..... This MDX is very maneuverable.

Only had one outing in snow ... and it was great.

In the D.C. area .... have now seen about 4 or 5 locally (some from Virginia) (I am in Maryland) .... other drivers wave!

Really love my MDX!!!!
  • weinheimerweinheimer Member Posts: 6
    Only accessories I got were the mud flaps, the cargo cover, and then the mats. Think the Moon VIsor kind of "scrunches up" the front "face" of the vehicle ... . Think the running boards, while they may (matter of opinion) look cool ... get in the way when exiting. I think I will look into the rear air deflector. I have heard they are on back order nationally, but can be obtained from "Tim at Hondaword". Think I'd probably have to have dealer install... Hope this is helpful!
  • ahossaahossa Member Posts: 152
    Very spacious and like the Suv overall.However, one sour note i realy hate is wind noise when driving over 50MPH on highway. I'm a stikler for quiteness in a vehicle and Iam very disappointed at the level of noise in the cabin. In city driving it's okay. I test drove the Highlander and it'a a very quite vehicle however, I did not go on a highway so I don't know if you will hear wind noise and road noise.My advice to anyone buying a MDX is take a test dive on a highway to see if the level of noise is acceptable.I also heard crosswinds on the roof rack at 60 MPH in NYC (Grand Central Pkwy and Long Island Expwy). If i had test driven the MDX on a highway I would not have bought it.
    For those of you comparing Mdx to Highlander; Here's the Difference:MDX is a better value. It's sturdier, wider, longer,better quality materials and 2 most important things are1> it's priced just $1600. more than a HL 2. MDX comes with a better warranty 4yr/50,000 miles as opposed to HL 3yr/36000.miles. The Hl is way overpriced. It may feel like a Lexus, a cousin of Lexus but it's not a Lexus.I hope people resist paying MSRP for HL.
    (In particular, ucsdtriton and mdxed)
    Regarding THUD sound: I am still experiencing daily the strange THUD sound under my left footwell when making a right turn. My appointment is next Wed. (24th) and will post what they diagnose.

Thanks a lot for ncsdtriton of the whole updating posting. You are the lead and pioneer of THUD issue. You and we will get more support from more MDX owners. My last 6 digits VIN is 507977. I live in Sunnyvale, north California. Let's do it together, if we have to "...get money back or another car."

BTW, ncsdtriton: I saw another MDX owner complaining the same problem in acuramdx.ord. His/her name is losangshopper. Is that you ?
  • cotmccotmc Member Posts: 1,081
    Glad you like the MDX!

1) Your item #1 said the MDX was just $1600 more than the Highlander. Are you using the Base or Touring Model as the reference?

2) Sorry about the wind noise, but you helped confirm my suspicions that the cross-members making up the roof rack add some definite wind noise at highway speeds. I saw a post in here a couple weeks ago from someone who said he was going to remove the roof rack on his Touring MDX. You might consider that option if you find no functional value to it. I have a Base MDX without a roof rack, and although it isn't as quiet as a Lexus, I don't have a problem with the wind noise. I would venture to say that I hear just as much road/tire noise as wind noise.
    Hi ncsdtriton,

I forgot one thing. Yesterday I called ACURA Client Service 24x7 phone line and did talked with a tech support engineer. Based on what he said, so far there is no record of this THUD sound problem. But in your posting, you said that your dealer talked to the ACURA engineering headquarter and change your car's strud tower... Do you think that ACURA is really aware of the issue?
  • rgrosergrose Member Posts: 4
    wmquan

Thanks for the advice about third party roof rack. MDX rack is not much to brag about. Do you have any contacts for third party rack?
    Thanks
    The cargo cover has TWO positions:

One behind the second seat
    One behind the third seat.

Both are identical in how the cover "snaps" or compresses into a little detent. There are four plastic covers which pop off with a screwdriver for the two positions.

Perhaps whoever installed it didn't pop off all four, but just got the front two? (can't imagine the dealership messing this up, being as they are the experts on this vehicle...)

Once you get used to it, it is a snap to compress the whole thinh with one hand and pull it up to the window, release, them turn it to get it out.

To my knowledge, both the cargo tray and Cargo liner are user-installed.

Ard
    Why does the factory rack have such a bad reputation???

Most vehicles which carry Thule/Yakima/etc are NOT "adjustable", nor is adjustment necessary for any of the carrier accessories made by these manufacturers. All these accessories are made with the assumption that the distance between bars on different installations will vary, and they will fit on any spacing within reason.

Go ahead and justify the base model, but give me the factory rack any day over the tubular contraptions from yak/thule.... Plus, if you think they will be quieter than the factory, I doubt it.

Any specific issues?

Lets discuss.

Ard
  • kenyeekenyee Member Posts: 738
    ahossa:
    What are you comparing to when you say it has a lot of wind noise? A car? :-)
    You're pushing a giant box against the wind. ;-)
    ahossa,
    I bought my MDX from the same place you did (Rallye Acura). I got the base, however. I drove mine on the Grand Central Parkway (Northern State) and the LIE. I have the moonroof visor and the wind noise is comparable to a midsize sedan from Toyota or Mitsubishi. Maybe you should get the visor.

If you know of anyone that has an MDX with the visor, ask them if you can ride in it when they go on the highway. See if there is a difference.

Some of the earlier posts indicate that there is a marked difference with the roof rack on it, also. I suspect that the rack is causing most of the noise. It is not very aerodynamic....... that is one of the major reasons why I didn't get it.
This discussion has been closed.