Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura MDX (pre-2007)

Comments

• metmdxmetmdx Member Posts: 270
    Thanks for the info. Although mine has more miles, that price is more like what I think it should be worth in trade. I know the dealers will try to go low, but if they're getting MSRP, they should have a little flexibilty. It's not like I'm going to get an MDX for 500 over invoice !
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    When we traded in our 6-year old Integra as part of the MDX purchase, the dealership gave us what we thought was the "fair" value as assigned by Kelly Blue Book. It was pretty much right on the nose. It was a relief because we were going to just sell the vehicle on our own if the dealership got greedy, but it would have been a pain.

That said, I typed "fair" in quotes because it's not like KBB values are fair to the consumer. Those values are already stacked for the dealer, so if they offer below, it's like getting pinched twice.
    A long while ago we had discussed how the MDX door can seem hard to close for some owners.

After almost six months of ownership, I've noticed two things:

1) Part of the problem is simple air resistance, from trying to push down a very large door against a volume of air in a vehicle that's pretty airtight. If a door is open, it's a lot easier. Best way to approach it is to not try to shove the door down all the way down from the top; that just wastes energy pushing against the struts that hold the door open, and the air resistance. No need to really push it much until the door gets lower.

2) The struts do get a bit less stiff after a couple of months or so, so they don't fight the closing motion as much.

The handle on the interior bottom of the door is the best way to close without getting your hands dirty. After a while you learn how to use the handle to basically "throw it down" (starting when the door bottom drops below your eye level, you just flick it down, releasing the handle).
  • sauravsaurav Member Posts: 1
    a clean Accord EX V6 with 73k miles will bring approximately $8500 at wholesale. Edmunds has been a little optimistic with their values lately. I'd be interested to know if Edmunds.com will be willing to write a check for the $11,000 that they claim to be as trade in value on that car ;-) I'm a dealer and I see Honda Accords go through the auction lanes every week. A car is worth whatever someone is willing to write a check for, regardless of kbb, TMV, etc.
    If anyone does indeed want to write me a check for the $11,000, I wouldn't exactly say no !
  • nydivanydiva Member Posts: 6
    Hi All!
    I have been reading the messages posted and this Sunday I took the first step to purchasing the MDX.
    I never bought a NEW car (my current car; a Honda was a gift from Mommy) so I was not sure what I could do when I got to the dealership.
    I went to Curry Acura and instantly felt weird.. did not care for the salesman I got stuck with but I wanted to see the car (I also wanted to test drive it - because my dream SUV up to last year was the 4Runner).
    The salesman showed me a MDX someone ordered and then backed out on (how can someone do that?)
    the tires has plastic on the wheels so I assumed there was no test driving that.
    the 2nd and 3rd row seats were down and covered in plastic so I could only sit in the driver seat, and the salesman made the comment I could take this car off the lot right now (with the market like it has been - I wanted to wait a month just see how much more my stocks could gain or lose).
    Does anyone know of any other Acura Dealerships in Lower Westchester (ie New Rochelle, Yonkers, Mt Vernon, White Plains?) I would feel better if I could at least go to another dealer and see how I feel after the treatment I get there.
    After all I am dropping 30k as a down payment I don't want to make one bad call....

1 Confused NYDiva
  • ravi7ravi7 Member Posts: 2
    I had reported about the MDX crash in post #1924. My wife was hit by an out-of-control 18 wheeler 4 weeks ago and the MDX was totaled(she is fine now).

My insurance company(AAA) was very nice(maybe because the trucker was assigned complete fault by Cal Highway Patrol) and they gave us an amount close to MSRP(less $500). I have to thank the greedy Oakland Acura since they gave a price quote of $2000 over MSRP, when the insurance company was shopping for quotes.

Since we had driven 7400 miles already, we were happy to take the settlement offer.

Luckily the Bay area dealer from whom we bought our original MDX(mahogany) had a silver touring+nav MDX available at MSRP for us and we picked it up last week.
  • thewormtheworm Member Posts: 80
    re dealers - check ratings at www.acuramdx.org

ravi7 - That's good news. Interesting to see that Oakland is still greedy. I walked outta there after my first visit. Once upon a time they were actually a respectable dealer. Congrats on the new car.
    Check out Acura of Westchester in Larchmont. I had similar experience at Curry. AoW much better. Not great, but much better.
  • hkgodzillerhkgodziller Member Posts: 1
    I bought a silver MDX couple months ago, equiped with 4 Goodyear tires????? Recently, I read some megazines that show MDX should equip with Michelin Cross Terrain tires. What's the standard equip tire? I think Michelin tires are the better tires. Any idea why the dealer do this, and can I ask them to give me back the original tires?

Any one know about that???
  • railrrailr Member Posts: 36
    The base model comes with Goodyears... the Touring option comes with Michelin Cross Terrain tires.

Rail
    I started surfing the net a few minutes ago and saw the Larchmont Acura Dealership-- I will go there Saturday.
    Unfortunately, as a 1st time new car purchaser and a female... I may be seen as an even more "easy" mark.
    The salesman at Curry wanted to sell me a car that someone had ordered and did not pick up, and he never offered a test drive, or anything!
    I left feeling a little stupid, especially since I did not know what options I should have factory installed as opposed to what I could buy later and have installed.
    Aaaaaugh this process is not as simple as one would believe!
    I will let you know how it goes Saturday. Is there anything in particular you think I should look out for or ask the salesman?

-nydiva
    Don't buy any options with the vehicle... rather buy them from http://www.hondacuraworld.com/ for a fraction of the price and either install them yourself, or pay your dealer's service dept. to install them -- you'll probably save over 50%. If you're a member of http://www.acuramdx.org/, they even run monthly specials.

Rail

• lhrandlhrand Member Posts: 24
    As far as locking the deal, at least at our dealer, just getting on the waiting list doesn't commit you to buying the car. So if demand started settling down and they started negotiating on prices, people on the list could just bail out of their original deal and try to cut a better one, although this would put them at the end of the (shortened) queue again. And this is assuming they were vigilant about what was happening in the market for MDXs, which I'm sure many aren't.

At our dealer, they have what is purportedly their MDX waiting list written on a whiteboard in the showroom, with names getting checked off as they get their cars. Lots and lots of names still un-checked. I would think this would be pretty nervy if they were making it up, but who knows.
  • sanand5sanand5 Member Posts: 33
    My local dealer wants $150 for the 7500 mile maintenance (oil change, VTM fluid change, fuel injector cleaning and some more unnecessary items). I can buy the VTM fluid for under $20 from Acura. Has anyone changed this fluid themselves or had an independant reputable mechanic do it for you?
    Don't feel stupid. 90% of the people walking into dealerships don't have all the facts either before or after the purchase. Tell the dealer you've surfed the net, done your homework, and you're not the average female consumer (the best defense is a good offense).The MDX is not real complicated. You either get base or touring and after that, like railr said, buy "accesories" at the "hondaworld" site and either get a friend or the dealer you buy from to install after the purchase (unless you can negotiate them down to the Acura.Com website pricing). This is supposed to be representitive of what the "average" dealer will charge. However, we all know NY is NOT average when it comes to anything! Good Luck !!!
  • wongj00wongj00 Member Posts: 4
    I bought my MDX in February and really enjoy driving it. I do have a few complaints though:
    1. Wind noise is higher than I expected and I don't know what Honda/Acura can do about it?
    2. Navigation System - I live in North Carolina and is very frustrated that the DVD does not have the small town maps. It has a lot of maps in California though but I may drive my car to California once in my life time?? It seems to me that Acura should have the DVD map grouped by regions with more digitized map in that region instead of try to cover the entire US.
    3. Roof Rack - there is no horizontal bars on the side and how can I tie my luggage bag tightly (most of them needs to tie to front and side). By the way, does Acura offers any accessary on this?
  • bkg101bkg101 Member Posts: 5
    Has anyone tried Leasing an Acura MDX, what is the monthly payment for leases? Do they even lease them since they are hard to get?
  • lisamplslisampls Member Posts: 20
    I'm leasing mine for what I think is a very reasonable down payment and monthly payment. My down is going to be around $1500 (unless I want to up that amount), and my monthly payment for 15,000 miles/year for three years is going to be around $530/mo.
    I didn't want the high payment to purchase it because this will be my first SUV and I THINK I'm going to like it...but you never know.
    I am currently leasing my 1998 Honda Accord coupe and like the thought of getting a new car every few years without paying the taxes, taking a hit on depreciation and trying to sell it for a profit when I want to get something different. I am definitely NOT a "buy-a-new-car-and-drive-it-until-it-dies" kind of person.
  • researching2researching2 Member Posts: 2
    I took my MDX in for the recall this week.....and yes they had to unplug the battery to do the service.......and when they were done and attached the battery they could not get the code for the radio to work because the number 5 key was not working......how did this pass inspection is beyond me....I might expect this in a 15K auto not in a 40K auto. Dont get me wrong I really love the MDX I am more disappointed with the service and the treatment from the service department........I think Acura and/or the dealer should have offered @ least a free oil change for my time wasted taking my car to the dealer....that is why I bought Acura based on its reliability....I dont have time to take my car in all the time...I have a Camry 5 years old that has never seen the dealer.........
    I also think that the Honda engines have an edge on the US companies but everything else is slipping...My 1987 Honda Prelude was the best car I every owned as far as build & reliability..since the 80's the Japense companys are slipping in quality....I know some of you will disagree but that is my experience.

Just my thoughts..
  • cebocebo Member Posts: 1
    What's the deal with the roof rack NOT having the side bars--which are necessary for my luggage carrier? A salesman at my local dealership,when asked, didn't offer any advise.

Thanks for your input.
  • voorherfvoorherf Member Posts: 6
    If I buy full size Spare tire will it fit under the MDX and replace the donut? Or will I have to continue to carry the donut as the spare and just store the full size tire in the garage. I have ordered the touring package (late July/early Aug delivery) and the parts guy is quoting $250 for the rim and $150 for the Michelin.
    Thanks
  • cmkm1cmkm1 Member Posts: 1
    Any thoughts out there on whether the Touring Edition is worth the extra $2600? To the exception of seat memory and power seats for the passenger front seat, it's my understanding that one can purchase a remote DC-Changer and roof racks extra and save about $2000.
    (Sigh ... I wish the search was working here since I know I've left messages on whether or not the Touring Package is worth it ...)

Purely personal choice. I don't think a financial planner would find them "worth it," but if there are items in it you'd miss by not having them, by all means go for it.

The 6-CD changer you can add to the base is a cargo-compartment-mounted CD changer, and not the nice in-dash unit you get with the Touring Package (it's really "in-dash", in the center console, unlike some other SUV's that call "in-dash" in the glove compartment!).

The Touring adds Michelin Cross Terrains instead of Goodyear Integrity's, seat/mirror memory, tilt-down-in-reverse passenger mirror, some audio changes (like the CD changer), roof rack, and a slightly different wheel design.
  • mdx1mdx1 Member Posts: 63
    I have the touring package and a full size spare which fits perfectly at the same spot. The cost for a matching touring rim and the tire is about the same as your dealer told you. Since Michelin Cross-Terrain is non-directional, the spare can be used in the 5-tire rotation.

BTW, is anyone interested in the compact spare I don't need?
  • galvanggalvang Member Posts: 156
    Funny when I bought mine yesterday one of the topics was the spare. Acura opted not to include a full size spare for the reason of: when a driver gets a flat and he replaces it with a full size rim, the driver in effect will forget to fix the tire, thereby when he gets another flat he has no spare. The driver with the standard small size spare will in effect be motovated to fix his flat.

I thoght that was a some pretty good justification for the cheap small spare from Acura.

On a seperate note I see the side airbag light come on then off every once in a while. I figure it could be some loose wiring. Might need to have that check.
    Thought at first you buying an MDX instead of an X5 was an April Fool's joke ;-)

You probably already ruled this out, but just in case ... do you have anything in the passenger seat when the side airbag light comes on? Do you drive with your body leaning over, head out the window?
    It is certainly a personal choice but I don't think it's worth $2600. I bought mine without the Touring package but have the dealer throw-in the roof rack. The 6-Disk CD-Bose is nice but not top rated (I heard better Bose system than in MDX). Driver side power seat and tilted side mirror when reversed are debatable options (for me anyway). Michelin all terrain tires are nice but the last time I went to the rocky is twenty years ago. So...
    I detected one Lexus RX300 on the street that
    it has two hooks on each side mounting on the roof (does not have side bars either). I think it is a smart feature. I wonder if Acura does that?
  • thewormtheworm Member Posts: 80
    We did opt for the Touring. Liked the looks of the rack, the 6-disc in-dash CD, and power memory seats.

Since my wife & I both drive the car, the memory seats have proven to be a great feature. I also find the tilt-down mirror, which I thought was superfluous at first, to be a pleasant and highly-usable surprise.

While the BOSE is nothing extraordinary, it's adequate and the 6-disc in-dash is great (tho yes, you could do the under-seat version on the base).

I'd buy the Touring model again -- but as you've no doubt figured out it's all a personal choice. We didn't really look at it financially -- it was more of a "do we want these features or not?". Of course, if it were $10k more it woulda been a different story...but the $2600 seemed in the realm of value for us.
    Thanks MetMDX! I went to Larchmont (Acura Westchester) and I was more than pleased with the service when compared to Curry Acura. Sadly, Curry loses a lot of customers to Westchester Acura due to the lack of integrity and professionalism on their part... and Westchester Acura keeps the customers by not following in the footsteps of Curry.

I ordered a Touring MDX 2002 model! Which I should get in July or August (I don't really mind - just more time to get a bigger sizable down payment).... the 2001's are done... and I am getting it at MSRP (which I was told should be no more if at all $200 more than the 2001 model).

I am glad to be a part of this message board and just having read the thread on purchasing accesories via Hondaworld and not buying the MDX with all the "stuff" included.

I want to thank you for all your help and when the salesguy asked if I was referred by someone I told him "yes" but that I did not know your name :-)

Also--isn't there somewhere in Acura headquarters or web site that you can make a complaint on a dealership? I mean I know they are individually owned but wouldn't Acura want to know how they are being represented by dealerships??
  • galvanggalvang Member Posts: 156
    Japanese reliability played a major factor on the descision. MDX I own now.

As for the air bag light its off now but does come on now and then. The dealer told me that the MDX computer does random checks of the system and when it does the lights sometimes flash. I have never heard this so keeping my eye on it. Have you heard of such thing???? BS from the Dealer, perhaps???
  • ranchero79ranchero79 Member Posts: 4
    After coming inches from purchasing an Audi allroad, I did an about face this morning and ordered a 2002 Acura MDX (Granite, Touring). Many makes and models were serious contenders but the MDX's overall package, especially it's interior space, swung the decision in it's favor (in spite of the lack of immediate availability).
    I made a $1000 refundable (or so they tell me) deposit and should expect to see my vehicle in September. I agreed to pay MSRP because that is the best that buyers of the MDX have been doing lately. I also understand that the price of the 2002 model may increase. My question is, should I have arrived at a final price before making my deposit, and should I have it in writing? My dealer was unwilling to do this. He promised that I wouldn't be charged above sticker nor would they be willing to negotiate on a price below sticker. I'm concerned that a substantial increase in the price of the 2002 model would place this thing closer to the realm of the expensive German car that I passed over. Also, is it wise to place deposits at more than one dealer and see who comes through faster and cheaper? I chose this particular dealer because they rated very high on the www.acuramdx.org site. I just hope my blind faith is rewarded at the end of this long and frustrating wait!
    Congratulations on making your purchase! I'm glad you had a good experience.

I am curious, since you will be getting a 2002, did they say anything about any changes? Or will they roll straight into ones labeled 02's without any modifications? We are expecting ours in June but if there is anything to be gained by waiting a month or so, would certainly do so.
    We ordered our MDX some time ago so we did not have your issue about the dealer not being willing to put the price for the 2002 in writing, but one thought is to perhaps approach them again after the '02 prices have been set (but before your MDX comes in) and get a written contract at that time. That way if they try to weasel out of your verbal agreement, at least you won't have waited so long to start searching for another car.

Actually, though, I would think the opposite would be more likely. I don't think that demand for MDXs is going to get any stronger than it now is in the next few months, both because of the chilling of the economy and the likelihood that most people who were eager to get one are already on waiting lists. So I doubt they will be in much of a position to pressure you on price when you take delivery. Who knows, of course.

Good luck! Did you hear anything about '02s being any different from '01s?
    Thanks for the advice Lisa, I'll wait for the '02 prices to be announced before I decide what to do.
    My dealer told me that he doesn't expect any changes other than two new color options; white and a something-pepper red (sorry, I forgot what he said exactly).
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    That's probably "Firepepper Red". A very conspicuous colour that one of my friends has on his '01 3.2TL. I'm not sure how it will look on a bigger vehicle like the MDX though.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • rtr1rtr1 Member Posts: 4
    Just got my new MDX Mesa Beige with Touring package on Friday. I am very pleased that I ordered the touring package--to me the extras are all nice options and the $2600 is not out of line, given what you have to pay for an MDX. I believe the value will be recovered partly when you go to sell or trade-in the vehicle later down the road. So far, I am very pleased---and have yet to experience any of the problems and quirks noted here on the message board. I am a former RX300 owner (for 3 years) and can definitely tell that the MDX is not as quiet as the RX300---which better insulation and soundproofing ought to easily correct. But I think the MDX handles better, is much sportier and roomier, and is about on a par with the RX300 regarding comfort.
    lhrand--
    the only differences between the 2001 AND 2002 MDX as I was told by the sales person may be that OnStar will be an option... I too was curious as to what other great perks I would get -- I put a $250.00 deposit down (which I was told was refundable-- no reason I can see me wanting a refund) and I got a contract paper which says delivery date of July/Aug and in the "price" field the sales person put MSRP.
    He also informed me that he really had no idea what the price on the 2002 would be but that it should not be more than $200.00 more than that of the 2001.
    Congrats on your purchase! I'm wondering however, and maybe someone else on the board knows, but I was under the (maybe mistaken) impression that the 2002's weren't going to be out till October. Did Acura move up the timetable/production?
    Any input appreciated. Thanks !
    Hondacuraworld, where many of us have purchased discounted MDX (and other Honda/Acura) accessories from at great prices with great service, now has on-line the installation instructions for many MDX accessories.

If you click to get a detail on an accessory from the list, you'll notice a link for Installation Instructions, which is in Adobe Acrobat (.PDF) format (you'll need the Acrobat reader to read them, and a link is provided to download them).

Hopefully this will help folks who are interested in buying the accessories and installing it themselves, but want to see what's involved.

www.hondacuraworld.com
    Hey Drew,
    Firepepper Red will add some pizazz to the rather bland present color selections. I only hope it doesn't look like a "fire engine"! I think the "electric blue" that you see in the TL would be a great addition also. What about the 2002 timetable? Do you have any insight as to the release date for the 2002 model? It seems some people are being told late summer (rather than October).
    Thanks,
    METMDX
    OK if the salesman is lying on the date of 2002 delivery then my brother in Florida has to wait even longer for my Honda to be given to him ! Oh well and then to make matters worse I will just buy tons of accesories at Honda-acura-world or whatever it is and put them on myself... (Hey is it really that easy to put the woodgrain shift knob and other things on myself? -- can anyone tell me which things I SHOULD DEFINITELY NOT BUY INCLUDED WITH MDX and which things I am BETTER OFF just purchasing through dealer?)
    Also sorry for looking so naive but are they serious when they say that the lighter and ashtray are items that I would need to purchase (I don't smoke - but hey?!?!)
    Also after I buy the accesories is it really logical or illogical to take to dealer to have them install the accesories?

I am soooo CLUELESS!! aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaugh...
    -NYDiva -- >trying to be an educated new car purchaser
    I am not a "lover" of green --never have and never will be
    but the color choices on the MDX are just not "there"
    and so I chose to be different and take Granite Green over my obvious choice (and that of almost every MDX owner I have seen in TriState NY area) and my 2nd choice of Silver....
    Can anyone tell me how green is this GRANITE GREEN?? and How soon before I need to call the Dealer and say: "HEY I WANT TO CHANGE FROM GRANITE GREEN TO SILVER!!"

• ghotieghotie Member Posts: 3
    My dealer has a Granite Green demo. I thought it was really just gray and maybe it should be called "Granite" instead. The brochure definitely shows a tinge of green in the color sample, but I didn't see it in the real thing.
    Check out the thread here from www.acuramdx.org

Rail

• inkyinky Member Posts: 370
    I must admit that the link to the above photos shows a nice looking ride. I see nothing minivan about it. This is one person who actually ordered an MDX in August at MSRP for late Sep delivery and went with RX 300 instead. Yes, I was stupid. The RX is now cheaper and I lost out.
    INKY
    The Granite Green color is really a gray. It's pretty neutral and (I think) kind of nice. Black seems to be the only dark color that looks good on large vehicles like the MDX (strictly a personal opinion). The Mesa Beige looked sharp as well but I opted for the more "masculine" Granite.
    My dealer told me to be careful installing the accessories myself as they wouldn't be included in the warranty if I were to go that route. Conversely, has anyone noticed that there is an "installation charge" of $19.00 for the floor mats and cargo tray?!
    It depends on how industrious you are. Some items are quite easy / trivial to install by yourself. E.g. cargo net, the all-season mats (as opposed to the carpetted mats that come with the vehicle), cargo cover, etc.

Some items take a bit more work. The front air deflector isn't too bad. The tailgate deflector requires drilling and, preferrably, a torque wrench for tightening the bolts.

The running boards / sidesteps require about 72 bolts so it depends on whether or not you want to go through that.

The wood steering wheel should be left to the dealer since it fiddles with the front airbag.

I'd rather have the service department install the coolers that come with the tow hitch. Installing the tow hitch itself is pretty complicated and might best be left to the dealer, though a regular service shop may be able to handle it.

Personally, what I'd leave to the dealer, given my time constraints and my fear of certain installation tasks ;) would be the tow hitch, the wood steering wheel, and running boards/side steps.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Just curious...did you ever go for the Acura rear deflector that H&A was selling? Or are you still waiting for a 3rd party front and rear deflector? How about those colour coded body mouldings? They look okay, IMHO...not great since the vehicle wasn't designed for them in the first place (read: the front and rear bumpers are not level), but at least they blend in reasonably well.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
This discussion has been closed.