Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura MDX (pre-2007)

pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
edited August 2014 in Acura
Here is the new place to discuss the Acura MDX.
Below are links to previous Acura MDX forums:

- Acura MDX, Part IV

- Acura MDX, Part III

- Acura MDX, Part II

- Acura MDX, Part I

Happy Motoring. ;-)

Pocahontas,
Edmunds.com/Roving Host

Comments

• pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    Please excuse the typo "acur" above. ;-)

Pocahontas,
    Edmunds.com/Roving Host
  • GLeenGLeen Member Posts: 46
    Ok. Here is my story. I decided to take a ride down to see the Sandy Hook Lighthouse in New Jersey with my wife and two kids today. There is something about lighthouses that draws me to see them and read about them. Anyway, we decided to stop off at a local restaurant for lunch. After lunch I could not start the car. I noticed that the green key indicator was flashing. In other words the key was not being recognized by the car. Thus, we could not start it. I called Acura's road side assistance and they were going to send a flat bed to tow the car to a safe place for over-night storage. They were then going to tow it to the nearest dealer to my house. They also told me that I was responsible for finding my own way home. How is that for service. i went off on them for that one. I cannot start my brand new car and they want me to lay out some bucks.

I then went back into the restaurant to use the rest-room since I knew we were going to be standing by for a while. As I came out of the restaurant, I noticed another Silver MDX parked in front. I also noticed that my wife was in the drivers seat. She was able to start it? Yes! She said that when I left the car, she put the key in the ignition and left it there for about a minute. She tried it and it started. The car now accepted the key.

I do not know what caused the problem on my 5 day old MDX. I am very nervous though. I will call my dealer tomorrow and post what he says.

Be careful folks. Please post if you had a similar experience.

Later.
  • alingaling Member Posts: 598
    Hmm, interesting. It sounds like a faulty immobiliser, so either the key or the immobiliser computer, or both may have a problem. I recommend that you bring along the other key/keyfob, just in case the your MDX fails to start again. This way, you will at least be able to do some testing.

Good luck!
    Drew/aling
    Townhall Community Leader/Vans Conference
    Just wanted to give you a shout out.
    You will have to transfer the pictures from your private Photopoint.com "Incoming" folder to the "MDX" folder.

William, FWIW, full resolution pictures were available in Photopoint before September.

Drew/aling
  • railrrailr Member Posts: 36
    For a bulletin about NO STARTS with an Acura, check out http://www.acuradriver.com/service/news/1999c2.asp

Basically - you may have too many keys or a large metal object on your key ring which interferes with the immobilizer signal in the key.

Rail
  • jdfordjdford Member Posts: 10
    Link now should work...Thanks for the tutoring.

I HAD a few close ups too, but the file transfer software apparently over wrote them since I had two copies of two pictures. I swear I am not really that technically challenged, but there is nothing like learning something new to make you feel like a complete rookie!
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    jdford, the ProStripe looks great on your (black) vehicle! Nice job, and thanks for the pictures.

railr, that explains it. Though it's pretty stupid. I think about the fancy Acura keychain that comes with the owner's manual and snicker that it's not to be used with your Acura car key.
  • jeffmust2jeffmust2 Member Posts: 811
    jdford -

Congratulations.

You have just created a new $500 option for Acura dealers!

Looks great.
  • ardvarkusardvarkus Member Posts: 90
    Hey guys and gals. Vacation for a week or so, so I've been off-line- took an hour to catch up with the posts...

Am I missing something, or does Acura reference the wrong service procedure in the Service Manual for the VTM fluid change?

For both the VTM differential service AND the automatic transmission service, they reference page 14-138.

I found the VTM-4 procedure on page 15-39

Also, anybody know off hand what size driver this takes? Looks like a 6 point hex driver.(I'm being lazy.)

Found the circuit for keeping the power outlet in the center console on always- can't easily do it without the audio and display being live. I believe I need to get at the splice where all the circuits attach to the accessory relay. (The rear outlet can be "hot-wired" by getting at a relay. If I was travelling on a multi-day/multi-stop trip with an electric cooler, I'd consider this.)

Also, someone asked where the EXTERNAL temperature sensor was located. It is just in front of the radiators on the rear of the front bumper. It is NOT below the windshield.

Ard
  • chiller2chiller2 Member Posts: 14
    Nope, still MDX-less, but I have a deposit down and the dealer says I should have it sometime in December or January. Keep us posted on the running boards - I'd like to hear how useful/annoying/attractive people think they are. Same query goes out to anyone who has a tailgate deflector. Incidentally, I know some folks have remarked about the MDX looking like a MV, but it doesn't come across that way to me.

As far as your non-start problem and what causes it, I'm glad it wasn't something in need of a fix. I'd freak if my 5-day old car wouldn't start up. Sure am glad I'm learning all this stuff now.

P.S. Yeah, lighthouses are pretty cool, aren't they?
    One part of the Car & Driver $40k luxury SUV comparison not discussed here was cargo room. They applied the usual interior volume measurements, but also stacked cases of beer as a barometer of "usable" cargo room. The cases were not stacked higher than 6" above the side window line.

The ML320 won the test when the cases were stacked with the second and third row seats down or out of the way (only the MDX and Montero had the third rows in the test, though the ML320 is available with a very flexible third row, at extra cost). It stacked 36 cases. The MDX was a close second with 34. Only the RX300 (!) had at least 30 (exactly 30).

The MDX finished first when the cases were stacked behind the second row, with the third row (if any) folded down. It fit 20 cases, significantly more than the others (X5 with 13, QX4 with 16, Disco II with 13, RX300 with 13, ML320 with 15, and Montero with 16).

Behind the third row, the MDX fit 5 cases, the Montero 2; don't know how many the ML320 would have fit if it had the third row, probably not many.

What always makes these type of measurements interesting is how they compare to cargo room measured in cubic feet. E.g. the QX4 boasts 85 cubic feet but could only accommodate 27 cases behind the first row. The Montero 96 cubic feet, but only 24 cases (this one seems weird to me).
    Noticed a discussion on the question of a ball being included or not on the trailer hitch.

According to the Acura Installation Instructions, no ball is included. (As someone pointed out, how could they, there are many different sizes.)

What is included is as follows:

A ball mount. (This has a square end for the hitch and a hole for the ball.) A pin and cotter key also.

A square "receiver cover", rubber, which is used when the ball mount is not in.

Also, the heavy-duty tow hook which is removed from the chassis should be returned to you or placed into the storage area. The instructions state; "save the tow hook for the customer." (If I didn't have a hitch, a hock on both the left and right side might be nice...a market for spare tow hitches?)

If you are going to leave in the ball mount, pick up a cheap lock to keep the pin in place. Too easy for somebody to swipe. (I've never locked wheels, tires or pins, but then again I'm a little out of town...)

Someone was asking about horse trailers with an MDX... Few horse trailers are 3500lbs loaded. Heck, two horses plus tack are almost 25-2800. (A horse trailer is not a boat and doesn't qualify for the 4500lb rating- no aerodynamics.) Again, don't wanna be towing near any vehicle's capacity...(But i've seen folks pulling 3 horse trailers with Durangos, albeit at 40 mph)

Ard
  • luvsuvluvsuv Member Posts: 31
    jdford,

Nice job! How did you make it so straight? Did you use a hair-dryer/heat gun to make sure that it sicks well?
  • kulahikulahi Member Posts: 1
    ardvarkus,
    We are picking up our MDX (mb touring- no nav in hawaii) tomorrow at the harbor (it's been sitting there for 2 1/2 days due to rough seas) at Kahului, Maui. Our salesman called and said there is a NEW servce bulletin from Acura re: the VTR fluid change. He says the new change interval is every 7500 miles. I don't have the manual so I don't know the differential.
    Terrified that the car will have many more than the 22 miles we left it with over a week ago. We flew to Oahu 3x's before we found (through the luck of the original buyer "...not being ready for it.")ours. Would have bought the Lexus 470 except we scanned these forums and found out about the MDX. Good Luck.
  • jdfordjdford Member Posts: 10
    Jeffmust2....Too bad I can't get a commission!

Luvsuv: I put the molding on in my garage...it is supposed to be 55 degrees or higher to stick properly; my experience has been that, once it sticks and you press on it, it sticks.

I used a torpedo level on a fairly thick piece of string. I stuck the string to masking tape just beyond the rear bumper/body line. My wife held it with her finger while I pulled the string as tight as I could get it, then put masking tape on the other end of the string, just behind the front wheel well. I took the level off the string (so it would not sag when my wife let go of the rear piece of tape)and put a few pieces of masking tape along the doors (using the string as a guide). I removed the string and stretched a piece of masking tape from the rear to the front, using the guide pieces. I made sure it looked level, then I gently pressed the edge of the masking tape down along the entire side.

Next, measure and cut the pieces (I used a Craftsman tool - name escapes me, but it looks like a pruning shear). Make sure to cut the molding at a 45 degree angle for the front part of both doors, or it will rub when you open the door) Take the tape off the molding about 1 foot at a time, stick the front edge of the molding on (using the masking tape bottom as the guide), bend the rest of the molding back so you can see the tape line and just slowly peel and stick and press. The Prostripe web site has a few tips also (Prostripe.com)

I am sure this is probably more than you wanted to know! I took my time and it took me a little more than 1 hour - the molding only cost $60. A good trim person can do it less than 30 minutes.
  • quirkquirk Member Posts: 5
    we have been waiting to see a mahogany mdx before ordering, it was this or black. got a call from the dealer that they are unloading two of them. get there the next day, one was already picked up. wife decides on the mahogany over the black, as we are writing up the order ( february delivery), the sales manager pops in and tells us he just got a call and that the financing fell through on the one we just looked at, are we interested??? we sprung for the touring package and are picking it up on tuesday!!!!!!! we paid MSRP on the mdx and accesorries. i hate to think what they are making on us. driving to long island on thanksgiving, can't wait. ( this dealer has about 40 people on a waiting list)
  • rmc33rmc33 Member Posts: 3
    update
    1600 miles , no complaints
    just drove in about 0.5 inch of fresh snow today
    mdx did wonderful. I even tested its limits safely
    very sure footed. love this vehicle!
  • albert123albert123 Member Posts: 71
    Unexpectedly, I picked on my MDX last Friday. Here's why I said 'unexpectedly'. I put in my deposit in July. At that time, every dealer was saying MSRP no markup until in September MDX started to win all kinds of awards/comparison tests. Sunnyvale Acura simply added $2k quietly until I showed up in Oct for test drive. I was very disappointed and called at least 5 other dealers in SF bay area and did find a couple that don't charge MSRP but has a long(6 mons) wait list.

Just when I was thinking dropping my deposit and wait for 6 months. My sales at Sunnyvale called me and said a someone gave up his order and the markup is negotiable. I showed up. The color(Mahogany) is not mine(beige) and the package(navi) is not mine(touring) either. But I still went directly to the price and pointed out for my case Sunnyvale has been dishonest and this will damage their reputation on the net. Surprise! They accepted it. Well, I had to buy $1200 goodies from them(steps, racks, mud guards and wheel locks).

BTW, the sales(Matt) convinced me navi is worth it and I got what I wanted from the touring(rack). He's the nicest sales I've ever met.

It's a great SUV in every way.
  • bphdbphd Member Posts: 9
    Hey Folks,

I am most certainly not a Yahoo rah-rah, but I can't take scrolling through all these messages, linking to other websites to see photos and trying to remember which section of the MDX board (now on topic V and going strong) that someone posted some useful info.

There is now a club on yahoo. You can reach it from here:
    http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/acuramdxownersclub

You can receive messages via e-mail, you can search the entire list, you can search for members, you can see who is online, and you can even chat with members. There are even photo albums for those who want to show off their babies....

Anyway, check it out and hopefully we can have a continuous useful discussion.
  • kenyeekenyee Member Posts: 738
    albert123:
    I guess overpriced options are better than paying over MSRP for nothing. I'd still consider it a rip, especially for jerking you around like that and not getting you the color combo you wanted. Hmmm. Oops. This was supposed to be a post of moral support. Guess I get ticked when car salesmen do this...not that you wouldn't get the same treatment at other valley dealers..
  • barenboimobarenboimo Member Posts: 1
    Picked up my Beige MDX Touring Navi on Friday with no dealer markup in Northern NJ. As far as options, I got the rear mud guards, wheel locks, ashtray and lighter, wood steering wheel, burlwood knob, plood meter panel, extra plood trimming, cargo cover, cargo net. Never having owned an SUV or Truck before, driving it was definitely an interesting experience.

The vehicle is outstanding. The engine and nimbleness is very car-like; the space is certainly not (in a good sense). The wood steering wheel makes the interior look amazingly rich. I am still considering other accessories to prevent other vehicles from rubbing against me. In this regard, does the tow hitch help? Also, are there any metal trimmings I can put in the front? What about running boards or side steps, do they help? I am especially concerned about New Yorkers squeezing into parking spaces and rubbing bumpers.

The dead foot pedal and the driver's seat were a little uncomfortable over the weekend. I hope that I can find better seating positions. The Climate Control takes some getting used to, especially in the back. It was not intuitive to get the right temperature to my 18-month old in the back and my wife and I in the front.

These are minor issues that I am sure that I will resolve.

By the way, if you are having trouble using memory seats with your key fob, here is what I found out. This was not working when I asked the salesman to show me how it works. When the technician came out, he said that the factory settings on the fob are to NOT send the seat command. In order for the fob to send the extra signal to set the seat position (to 1 or 2 corresponding to the number on the fob), you should hold the lock and unlock buttons on your fob for a few seconds. This is NOT in the owner's manual!!
    I know I should have acted on the tow hitch thing a bit sooner, but I've been very busy.

Called Acura Client Services to ask them about the requirement to have coolers installed. They played a little song and dance about how the bulletin that coolers were required was sent out BEFORE any MDX actually shipped. Too bad my dealer knew nothing of it, and the original owner's manual also did not indicate this.

I pointedly told them how they've fixed this situation for others, but they insisted that I work through my dealership's service department to resolve this. They were very polite but kept saying that Acura dealers are now required to install both coolers with the tow hitch (I guess this is why they have this "promotion" to get the steering cooler free, which they would only semi-acknowledge in saying that there has been some "agreements" but I could only resolve that through my dealership). And that this was known before MDX's shipped!

I asked to speak to a field rep but they referred me to my dealership.

Anyway, looks like I'll have to see how this game works. Called my dealership's service department, explained the situation, and they're supposed to do some research and call me back. We'll see.
    I tried the same route you are taking. Acura HQ was of no heal. I finally broke down and bought the hitch and coolers with installation for $770.
  • dagilldagill Member Posts: 13
    I guess this is not a forum for me. I wanted an SUV forum not a car like CSUV. Enjoy your Bmxs guys, oops I mean Mdxs. I have been told the lady(Mdx)drives smooth and well. Have fun.
    Just talked with a local Service Manager.

First visit is Oil change (29.95) plus VTM-4 change ($55.00). Figure $90 out the door.

Claims the VTM-4 is a half hour, and requires "hand filling". It's only 2.9 quarts, how long can that take? Plus 2 new filler/check plug seals.

Turns out it is easier for me to do it one evening (instead of logging in with you folks) than it is to drive the 100 miles for two round trips. I may let them do the first, but I really don't have a valid reason for this...probably let them look at the "hissy brake pedal" and they can replace the bumper trim the other dealer (Solano) trashed when Solano installed the trailer hitch.

Anybody else get quotes on the VTM fluid change?

I asked about any revised schedule, he wasn't aware of any, but would check.

Ard

PS. The "special hitch deal" really requires some work and attitude on the owner's part. Acura and the dealership will not just fold, especially if it looks like you're prepared to spend the $$$ either way.
    Dave;

Sorry to see you leave.

I was so looking forward to you wise input on travel tips in Asia.

Don't write-

Ard
  • transpowertranspower Member Posts: 213
    Yes, p. 3-4 of the Service Manual says to see p. 14-138 for info on the Honda VTM-4 Differential Fluid. The index (under Differential Fluid, Rear) says p. 15-39. The index is correct.

The requirement to change the VTM-4 fluid every 7500 miles is for severe service only (unless the Owner's and Service Manuals have been overridden by a service bulletin--which would certainly be disconcerting.) Both the filler plug and the drain plug are torqued to 35 lbf-ft. No size is indicated (but plug shape is circular not hexagonal), so just go through your tool box until you find the right 12-point socket. As the Service Manual says, be sure to use a new sealing washer.

Some good news: my dealer rep called me today with my VIN! ETA is Saturday, so I should be able to pick up my prepped MDX on Tuesday next week. I've ordered some accessories (discussed in a previous post) from A & H Motors, so I may be able to get them installed the same afternoon.

Also, on the review front, the WSJ had a piece called "Acura SUV: Late to the Party, Ready to Rock" last Friday. Nothing new, but the author closed with "There's no mistaking it for a minivan." So, take that C & D! The MDX is not a m*n*v*n.

Transpower
    Thanks TP. (Isn't the service manual well done, all in all?)

From the drawing it looked like the drain plug has a hex indentation, indicating I'd need a hex driver, not a socket. I'll check it out when I'm under it.

Congrats on the impending new arrival. Have fun.

Ard
  • foobarguyfoobarguy Member Posts: 16
    I missed the MT SUV of the Year episode this morning and forgot to set the VCR. :-[

I noticed that Speedvision is airing Motor Trend TV on Wednesday at 7:30pm EST. Does anyone know if this is a re-broadcast of the SUV of the Year show?
  • marksmacmarksmac Member Posts: 8
    I'm due to pick up an Acura MDX at Sunnyvale Acura in about 2 weeks. They still want to charge me $2K over MSRP. I pointed out my AAA membership that listed them as a discount. I said I'd go for the deal if they cut the overcharge to $1K over MSRP - I need to get it at a dealer close to me, and it's still a hot enough car to make fools bid on it on Ebay. So, I may hold my nose and pay $1K over MSRP. At least SV Acura charged fairly close to Acura's web site on options.
    Transpower, a preliminary congratulations on the impending arrival. As far as the VTM-4 fluid goes, it will be interesting whether or not the current every-30k interval (except for the first one at 7,500) changes.

My MDX owner's manual originally came with an updated service interval page (self-adhesive update page stuck on top of the original). I can't tell what changed, but obviously there was an update right after the manual was printed but before I took delivery on Oct. 6th. Maybe that reflected an early service bulletin changing "severe condition" replacement to every 7,500 miles, who knows. When I got the manual binder over a week later, it had update pages for the towing coolers.

As far as the MDX looking like a minivan, let's face it, anyone who hears that the MDX is based on a minivan's platform is going to automatically look for any resemblance to a minivan. And the MDX looks a lot less like a minivan than some other SUV's.

Ard, I figured the tow hitch business wouldn't be as simple as Acura doing the right thing the first time. Looks like this will take a while. As it is, I'm not sure how much I'd end up saving buying just the originally (horribly inflated) priced hitch and getting (maybe) coolers added gratis, vs. buying the complete tow package from a discounter and just paying the dealership the labor charges (apparently it's not that simple to buy just the hitch now). Or just saying the hell with it, I don't tow anyway (bike for our baby when he gets older might be a reason, but he won't be old enough for a while as it is).

barenboimo, anything goes in New York. Only way to practically keep people from playing bumper-tag with you is to get some kind of aftermarket brush guard for the nose, and getting not just a tow hitch but the hitch-mounted bike rack for the back (I don't think just the tow hitch itself would be enough of a deterrent). As for the sides, maybe jdford's side molding treatment might help. The running boards and side steps don't stick out far enough to guarantee no dings, though they'll help in some situations.

dagill, hey, congratulations on the brilliant deduction that the MDX is car-like. That must have taken a lot of research, we are very impressed.

I hope your feelings won't be hurt too badly when you have to "smell an MDX's fumes," just because you screwed up and didn't buy the ML430.Transpower, a preliminary congratulations on the impending arrival. As far as the VTM-4 fluid goes, it will be interesting whether or not the current every-30k interval (except for the first one at 7,500) changes.

My MDX owner's manual originally came with an updated service interval page (self-adhesive update page stuck on top of the original). I can't tell what changed, but obviously there was an update right after the manual was printed but before I took delivery on Oct. 6th. Maybe that reflected an early service bulletin changing "severe condition" replacement to every 7,500 miles, who knows. When I got the manual binder over a week later, it had update pages for the towing coolers.

As far as the MDX looking like a minivan, let's face it, anyone who hears that the MDX is based on a minivan's platform is going to automatically look for any resemblance to a minivan. And the MDX looks a lot less like a minivan than some other SUV's.

Ard, I figured the tow hitch business wouldn't be as simple as Acura doing the right thing the first time. Looks like this will take a while. As it is, I'm not sure how much I'd end up saving buying just the originally (horribly inflated) priced hitch and getting (maybe) coolers added gratis, vs. buying the complete tow package from a discounter and just paying the dealership the labor charges (apparently it's not that simple to buy just the hitch now). Or just saying the hell with it, I don't tow anyway (bike for our baby when he gets older might be a reason, but he won't be old enough for a while as it is).

barenboimo, anything goes in New York. Only way to practically keep people from playing bumper-tag with you is to get some kind of aftermarket brush guard for the nose, and getting not just a tow hitch but the hitch-mounted bike rack for the back (I don't think just the tow hitch itself would be enough of a deterrent). As for the sides, maybe jdford's side molding treatment might help. The running boards and side steps don't stick out far enough to guarantee no dings, though they'll help in some situations.

dagill, hey, congratulations on the brilliant deduction that the MDX is car-like. That must have taken a lot of research, we are very impressed.

I guess you have to make a (weak) attempt to make fun of your vehicle's competitors, just because you screwed up and didn't buy the right vehicle for yourself. Hope your feelings won't be too hurt when a "gal" (your terminology, not mine) in an MDX leaves you smelling her fumes.
  • dennettdennett Member Posts: 332
    Funny how you have the time to look up all of daghill's comments about the ML! I'd take a Benz over a Honda..er..I mean Acura any day. Those MDXs are going to be dogs on the resale market, just like every other Acura in 5 years. I see already that many S Cal dealers have MDXs setting on the lot for immediate sale. It's harder to get a Honda Oddessy than an MDX already. A year from now the MDXs will be about as hot as those RLs LOL! Enjoy your MDX I'm sure it'll be reliable, that's about all you can say for any Acura.
    Nah, it wasn't hard to look up dagill's ML comments. I recognized the graduate school-level grammar in his profile from the M-class boards. Your browser can do a Find, you know.

The M-class is a fine vehicle, don't get me wrong. The message wasn't intended to put down his ML320 (he put down his ML320).

I disagree with you on the MDX not having good resale value, but come back in five years. If there are really so many Southern Cal MDX's sitting on dealer's lots, those dealers wouldn't be getting $2k over MSRP for them. Maybe you could be helpful and name some of those dealers so some of the would-be MDX buyers from Southern Cal can check them out. Thanks.

P.S. I think I remember you now; didn't you have a BMW X5 on order? Great vehicle.
  • hobbes974hobbes974 Member Posts: 7
    That is the main reason why I bought the MDX. I intend to keep mine for 10 years or more. Maybe that's why you have your sell your German built vehicle after 5 years. It's not as reliable. Check Consumer Report, they have something to say about the ML's reliability.
  • hobbes974hobbes974 Member Posts: 7
    It's late. "have to sell"
  • kinmanckinmanc Member Posts: 8
    The wood steering wheel sure looks nice, but the dealer wants $634 for it. Why is it so expensive?

I could get one from Honda-acura world for $390. How hard is the installation? Has anyone done it? Thanks.
  • bilmatbilmat Member Posts: 53
    Here's a cut-and-paste job from Motorweek On-Line for those of you who may want to check your TV listing for the broadcast date and time so you can program your VCR . . .

MotorWeek #2012
    With Host John Davis
    PBS Broadcast Window Begins November 25, 2000
    Episode Title: 2012/Acura MDX

Roadtest of the 2001 Acura MDX
    Roadtest of the 2001 Porsche 911 Turbo
    Goss' Garage: Home Garage Sweet Home Garage
    Two-Wheelin': New Generation Harley Davidson
    MotorNews: 1st Drive: Ford Ranger Edge 4X4
    Long Term Roadtest Update: Ford Excursion & Oldsmobile Alero
    You cannot install the wood/leather steering wheel by yourself as it requires the removal of the airbag module from the existing steering wheel and reinstallation in the new steering wheel. Obviously this has to be done properly by trained persons or injuries could occur during installation, or in the event of a collision (if it doesn't deploy).

Most replacement steering wheels are expensive, even if the wood is really plood. $634 seems excessive though, so check with H.A.W or A.H.M.

Drew/aling
  • luvsuvluvsuv Member Posts: 31
    for the detailed instruction regarding the body side molding! Great job!
  • sfaridisfaridi Member Posts: 2
    I walked away from my MDX due to the following reasons and dealer attitude at McGrath Acura of Countryside, IL:

1. Dealer insisted on charging sales tax on MSRP+destination+documentation fee. I thought when you lease you only pay sales tax on payments.
    2. Dealer insisted on capitalizing all fee and taxes.
    3. Luxary tax was calculated on capitalized price means I was paying luxary tax on sales tax and fee like acquisition etc
    4. Dealer constantly reminded me that if this deal didnt go through he can sell it for above MSRP no problem.
    5. Finance manager was reluctant to go over the lease agreement in detail.

Has anyone else experience this kind of arrogance and greed?
  • gipplegipple Member Posts: 10
    Good for you. Tell that dealer to go F _ _ _ off! I know that if you make many, many calls you will find an MDX due for delivery that is not claimed. I did. I called 30 dealers along the east coast and found one in CT that I picked up 3 - 4 weeks later.

There is no need to give in to the nasty, rude dealers when you can find a reasonable one that perhaps you deal with.
  • brentf008brentf008 Member Posts: 1
    Hey All
    This is my first post. My dad wants tog et my mom a Luxo SUV for Cristmas. we are looking at the ML320, the 3.0i X5, RX300, and of Course the tricked out MDX. My dad is wary of buying the MDX because this is it's first year on the market. But isn;t it true that the MDX is based on the reliable and somewaht proven Honda Ody platform? Has anyone who owns an MDX seen any build quality problems or other issues on there vehicle? I looked at the Lexus, and I thought the interior was of much higher quality than the MDX. Am I right in thinking this? It's not even the Faux woood trim that bothers me... just the leather quality and overall look of plastics in the cabin. I stll like the Acura though... also the Lexus dealer seemed more pretentious... less inviting and more stuffy. Well I'd ove to here your experiences with your new MDX, bad or good. Anyone who has the 6 CD 8 speaker Bose system I'd like to here your opinions on that to.
    Thanks!
    Brent
  • lauriebrlauriebr Member Posts: 3
    Our silver/touring MDX isn't even here yet but we're not having a good experience. DelRay Acura in FL sold us the car, explaining that they "ship to the Boston area all the time." They made it sound easy, but it's been a nightmare.

We bought the car a week ago but we have no paperwork from the dealer, just FAXes (they keep saying the woman who handles the paperwork is "out today"). The insurance company doesn't seem to know how to handle an out-of-state purchase and insists they need to see a title to insure the car. The bank holds the title since we have a loan -- which we keep explaining, but we can't get anyone from the insurance company with a brain on the phone. The registry won't register the car without proof of insurance. DelRay Acura seems to be clueless when we appeal to them for help.

So ... the car arrives tomorrow but we have no insurance, no registration and no plates. How are we supposed to get it home?

Can anyone explain how this is supposed to work? People must buy cars out of state all the time -- there must be an orderly process to go through.

Given our experience with Del Ray so far, we're really worried about what the car will be like. What if the mileage doesn't match what's on the sales agreement? What if something else is wrong? We didn't want to wait until March to get the MDX from a local dealer but if we'd know how awful this would be, I think we would have waited.

:-(

Laurie
    (sfaridi)

1. Sales tax - this differs from state-to-state, but, in general, you're right - tax is usually paid monthly on top of your payment amount, not on the unpaid residual. Of course, if you buy the vehicle at end-of-lease, then you're going to be hit with the additional sales tax. Your DMV should be able to answer this question or maybe a CPA.

2. Dealer insisted on capitalizing all fee and
    taxes. Clever - this allows dealer to bundle everything into hidden calculations so he can charge all kinds of ridiculous fees that might not be disclosed in the final paperwork - they just might result in a higher lease cap cost, on top of which the dealer will get a "rebate" (more commonly called a "kickback") from the leasing company.
    3. Luxury tax was calculated on capitalized price
    means I was paying luxury tax on sales tax and fee
    like acquisition etc. I'm not sure what amount the luxury percentage is applied against but I doubt it's factored on sales tax and garbage fees; again, check the federal government website on this tax.
    4. Dealer constantly reminded me that if this deal
    didnt go through he can sell it for above MSRP no
    problem. Then why is he wasting his time with you at a lower price? Simple - the lease he's quoting has MORE PROFIT than $2K over MSRP!
    5. Finance manager was reluctant to go over the
    lease agreement in detail. I'll bet! I believe that additional Fed Government disclosure requirements on lease agreements will take effect 1-1-2001 but that won't help you now. Your best bet is to calculate your lease from the acura.com website: Select Acquire, Cost Comparison, Lease Calculator, Your MDX Model, term of lease, # miles per year (12k or 15k), $$ money or trade-in value - and, presto! Reasonable lease numbers from American Honda Finance Corp. Last time I checked, their money factor was .00370 - to get the real interest rate, just multiply a money factor X 2400 - or 8.88% in this case.

If you need some additional help, email me at jeffmust@aol.com.
    Did some lease research and found out that Illinois and Texas are unique states when it comes to leasing automobiles:

1. You DO pay sales tax on the whole amount (cap cost), not just the monthly payment amount.

2. Even Worse Department: If you buy the vehicle off for the residual after the lease expires - you get to pay sales tax AGAIN!!!

Now who in their right mind would lease a vehicle in those two states? Why not drive to a different state for a MDX lease deal?

Check out this site for some good tips on leasing and regular purchase deals:

http://www.carbuyingtips.com/lease.htm

JM
  • cotmccotmc Member Posts: 1,081
    I'm sorry that Client Services seems to be less helpful for you then they were for me. The customer rep that I spoke to was Larry Lenzie (sp?), and he told me my field rep was Pat Thomas. Maybe you can ask to speak with Larry?
  • cotmccotmc Member Posts: 1,081
    Yep, the Benz brand sure seems to have good resale value. I'm not quite sure why they retain as much resale value as they do, though. It can't just be the safety aspect (as evidenced by Volvo's resale numbers). From all I've seen and read, neither the E-Class or C-Class sedans have outstanding reliability, and the M-Class reliability has definitely been sub-par. And it's kind of a joke that the certified Mercedes used cars (cars with the "Starmark" certification) add only 1 year additional warranty coverage, considering the less than stellar reliability reports. Compare that to BMW, Lexus, or even Audi certified cars.

Acura has had outstanding reliability across their entire line of vehicles after dumping the SLX and the Vigor. They appear to be on the right track now with improving the value, performance, and resale values of their cars, with the RL possibly being the exception to that trend for resale value. We can only guess about the MDX, but with production on the MDX being low, initial customer feedback being very positive, and the MDX winning almost every luxury SUV comparison, there is some optimism that the MDX will have good resale value. The one characteristic that may adversely affect MDX resale value is that Acura does not have quite the marquee luxury image already associated with BMW, Benz, or Lexus.

By the way, I agree with wmquan. If you see MDX's sitting on dealer lots, why don't you post the names of the dealers in here to help out other prospective MDX buyers?
  • filterkingfilterking Member Posts: 9
    I live in MA and bought my car in NH. here are the steps i went through
    1. Paid cash , completed paperwork at dealer
    2. Took the papers to my insurance agent for stamping with an effective date of next business day
    3. Took the papers to DMV and paid taxes and rgn fees. Gor the plates
    4. DMV sent the TITLE to my home address 2-3 weeks later

Hope this helps.
    A while ago I noticed a post from someone lamenting the scarcity of MDXs on the roads and hoping to see more in the future so that he wouldn't be the only one driving an MDX.

I though: "Here is someone who ought to be sticking with the MB or RX if he felt the need to be like his negihbors."

I purchased a 90 Q45 for two reasons: It was an awesome machine, and NOBODY else was driving them (they were all buying LS400s)

I LIKE the fact that the MDX is rare. I like the fact that it will be limited in volume. I DON'T want to drive a vehicle I see all over. It does not make me feel "safe" or conforming to be like other consumers.

I believe that, in part, the "higher resale" percentages and popularity of the ML is due to this human (lemming) desire to be part of the "in" crowd and to conform.

I also think that this human emotion is at the root of why some folks feel the need to insult and belittle others not in their club. (Auto-centric?)

Ard
This discussion has been closed.