Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Acura MDX (pre-2007)

Comments

• Options
    sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    what about taxes? I assume they are higher in canada? There must be some sort of import tax involved too?
  • Options
    gocanesgocanes Member Posts: 3
    After reading the posts for the past month, and trying to decide between the Odyssey and MDX I finally bought my wife the MDX. She is sooooo happy. I have not read the owners manual yet, but is there a break in period for this vehicle?
    Thanks to everyone for their posts.
  • Options
    texas83texas83 Member Posts: 107
    Thanks for info on Canadian sales. I called Acura-Canada (416-284-8110) to find out details... bad news I'm afraid. Acura-Canada said that Canadian dealers are not allowed to sell to Americans. They are subject to severe fine or even dealership cancellation. This is to prevent a 3rd party industry from popping up. Also, the warranty is not valid for an American citizen. A Canadian citizen can get service in the US, but not an American. Don't know if it's enforced, but Canadian citizens are supposed to sign a one year waiver stating they will not sell to an American. Also, and this is big, the sales tax, which varies by province is generally between 14-15%. There goes my savings. In Texas it's only 6%, which is too damn high in my opinion, but we have to pay for the welfare programs like everyone else. Politics aside, it doesn't appear worth while going to Canada.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    According to the guys on the Nissan Pathfinder board, you can get the Canadian taxes back by filling out some paperwork at the border. But, unlike Acura, Nissan USA will honor the warranty on a Canadian purchased car. Honda USA's position is the same as Acura's, from what I understand.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Options
    texas83texas83 Member Posts: 107
    Thanks Steve for the tip on that. But, if they won't sell to me, I guess it doesn't help much. Should some other opportunity come up, that's good know.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    lol, maybe you could be very. very polite and say "eh" a lot, and they wouldn't spot you for a Yank :-)

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    say "eh" a lot, and they wouldn't spot you for a Yank :-)

Just tell them you're from Minnesota and remind them it's one of the Southern Provinces!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • Options
    wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    There are auto brokers and U.S. Acura dealers that will handle the import for you. Of course, your savings are reduced since they take a cut of the price difference. Or, there probably are some Canadian dealerships that will sell to a U.S. person and just look the other way.

As far as the sales tax goes, isn't most or all of it refundable by applying for a refund? The dealerships will know about this. E.g. most goods can be purchased, you pay the tax, but then submit a refund form and you get it back. I'm not sure if both the GST and the provincial tax are refundable. If so, then you're actually buying it for no sales tax.

However, when you register the vehicle, your state is highly likely to force you to pay the sales tax for your state.
  • Options
    msh8448msh8448 Member Posts: 23
    Has anybody seen an MDX in the soon-to-be introduced Havasau Blue exterior color? I'm told that dealers only have color swatches at this time(no pictures of actual vehicles). I've also heard that, while the color will not be officially available until Spring '02, some dealerships may have received some pre-production vehicles with the new color. Since I'm about to place an order for an MDX, any observations on this new exterior color would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    mark189mark189 Member Posts: 107
    This color will be used for the Odyssey as well and is supposed to be delivered to dealers in the next few weeks. Call you local Honda dealer and maybe you'll get to see one. Of course they're all pre-sold so you'd have to drive over as soon as it hits the lot.
  • Options
    stangeljstangelj Member Posts: 74
    How ya'll doin, eh? Come on up to Alberta, no Provincial sales tax, just the 7% federal sales tax. : - )

Actually, what this discussion really tells me is how much $$$ Acura is making of the MDX when it can afford to sell them in Canada for $5,000 U.S. less than they sell them for in the U.S. I'm sure they are still making a healthy profit in Canada so they must be making a killing down south. It's not just the dealers doing well on these vehicles.
  • Options
    will4271will4271 Member Posts: 187
    I received a Acura MDX auto book via website.

The color looks very good on page. Was this color also called "sage green" at one time?

Btw, anyone know how they installed the running boards for the MDX? or is it just a simple as screwing in a few screws.

I found one place to get a good deal on an MDX but the add-ons for parts are expensive so I am thinking of buying the car there and doing the upgrades myself.

Also good to have a handyman background.
  • Options
    A number of owners have installed the running boards themselves. It is not hard, but you do need a socket wrench and a torque wrench to properly set the bolts. There are LOTS of bolts, about 72 altogether. You don't have to raise the vehicle, but it certainly helps the installation go faster.

Owners have reported installation times of between 45 minutes and 2 hours. One said it's akin to replacing a flat tire.

You can buy the parts from a discounter like www.hondacuraworld.com, they offer it for $433 with shipping included.

If you don't want to install it yourself, you can ask a dealer service department (NOT the salesperson) for a quote on installation. Frankly, with their equipment (lift, power tools) they can probably zap it in an hour so it should only be an hour of labor ($70-$80, maybe). Of course, they'll likely quote at least two hours for installation.

Alternatively, your basic service station mechanic can easily install the steps in about the same time, and probably for a much cheaper hourly rate.
  • Options
    ty39ty39 Member Posts: 23
    Need help! Disregarding space, dealers, and price. Is there anyone wishing that they had purchased the X5 (3.0) rather than your MDX??
    Or is buying the MDX over the X%, a "no-brainer?"
  • Options
    ty39ty39 Member Posts: 23
    Sorry that is a X5!! Not a X%!!
  • Options
    Space and price were two critical criteria in my purchase of an MDX ;-) That helped make an MDX over an X5 a no-brainer!

That said, the X5 definitely has a higher sporty quotient than the MDX, which is no slouch in its own right. If you're someone who really wants the German sports sedan feel in something that approaches an SUV, without the cargo room, and don't mind paying the premium, the X5 is a good choice and you can get it without regrets (witness the happy X5 owners)

The X5 does look better than the MDX in my opinion, and my wife's. We like how the MDX looks, but think the X5 looks great. But the X5 isn't practical (at all) for our situation. Plus the X5's sporty handling translates into a ride that is less comfortable.

So, overall, no regrets here. In fact, now that even second-year X5 reliability looks pretty bad, while Consumer Reports and JD Power has first-year MDX reliability as above average, it only makes the decision easier for folks who want a certain level of reliability/quality.
  • Options
    thewormtheworm Member Posts: 80
    LOL - I'm with William on this one. I think the X5 is the best looking 'ute out there. No doubt handles great like all Bimmers. I never made it into the driver's seat, tho, because I walked up to it from the rear and saw the (lack of) storage first.

With a dog and baby gear, that immediately eliminated it from the running.

If price and space are not among your purchase criteria, it's worth a look (taking into account potential quality issues William mentioned).

That said, our MDX just celebrated its 1 year birthday; we're *still* extremely happy with it and would recommend it without hesitation.

If it were "just me" without 3 bosses (wife, kid, dog) I might buy an X5 for myself :)
  • Options
    I think the MDX fits the needs of a family, outdoors person, person with lots of stuff to cary better than the X5.

I like how the X5 handles, wide tires, and sporty looks (likes it's sedans and coupes). But you will not miss that much once you drive the MDX.

But I have to agree with you'll that the space cannot be overlooked. You can't put much in the X5. Also if you need to repair the X5 will cost you more.

MDX is probably the safer bet overall.

This choice is for you to make.
    Take those test drives and decide.

In fact, take a few. Better to get the right vehicle that fits you than make a $$,$$$ mistake.
  • Options
    spirollispirolli Member Posts: 50
    They are different vehicles. The MDX is more of a family based car on stilts. The X5 is more of a sports based car on stilts. There is more room in the MDX compared to the X5.

Personally, I think the MDX looks like a chopped down Odyssey but provides some great functionality for the family. I like the looks of the X5 better than the MDX but it's provides less functionality in terms of room.

My conclusion:
    If have a or plan on having a family of 4-5, you're probably better off with the MDX. Anything less in terms of people, and it would be tough to pass up the performance and styling of the X5. It's a hot SUV.
  • Options
    It rates the X5 as "poor" for reliability and "above average" for the mdx. Check out the new Consumer Reports 2002 buying guide.
  • Options
    The X5 will have higher maintenance costs. Not problems, but regular service visits and the like are more expensive with BMW. Also, as time goes on, an MDX will have more service options in regards finding shops to do work on them.
  • Options
    crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    I should've mentioned that Canadian dealers aren't allowed to sell to American non-residents(which would account for the brokers, etc. that wmquan mentioned).

I guess I'm in a unique situation of being able to buy in Canada as I sort of maintain a residence in Canada, while living in the U.S. Thus, I can easily buy a vehicle and drive it across the border (like a snowbird, if you like).

And yes, wmquan makes a good point about working with the dealers. What if I do move to another part of the U.S., will the dealers there work with me too? Most likely, no.

I guess it all boils down to 'Buyer Beware'. One is likely to save a lot of money by buying the MDX in Canada due to the currency exchange. And yes, 7% GST is refundable, but maybe not provincial sales tax. And one has to pay the sales tax of the state where the vehicle will be registered. I had to pay 6% FL sales tax on my EL.
  • Options
    Agreed, more Honda dealers will be able to service the MDX with the new Pilot arriving.

I think in the long term the X5 will cost more to maintain than the MDX, but please consider that BMW includes scheduled maintenance for the first three years (extendable to four, but you have to pay for it).

Though I'm not familiar with how generous BMW's "free" maintenance is (different companies that provide it have different policies on wear and tear items). But it does definitely help reduce the cost of ownership. E.g. Audi stretches oil changes to 10k miles which some folks aren't comfortable with and thus they bring it in for extra services at the owner's cost.

All the German luxury makes (BMW, MB, Audi) offer this, and it helps since those vehicles tend to be more expensive to maintain. E.g. a service type "A" appointment on an M-class costs about $200 in many parts of the U.S. despite it being not much more than an oil change and diagnostic (maybe wipers and something else). A "B" service costs nearly $400. So having maintenance included is obviously a big thing there.

Lexus and Acura do not offer free maintenance, though at least the cost for the maintenance and the parts isn't as high. That said, the MDX isn't super-cheap to own. Especially if you adhere to the severe conditions maintenance schedule (e.g. VTM-4 fluid changes every 15k miles, which dealers are charging anywhere from $125 to $200 for).

Combine that with occasionally well-subsidized and high-residual-value lease deals that one can find with BMW sometimes, and the X5 can be an excellent vehicle for a lease.

On the other hand, if you want to keep the vehicle for, say, 7 years, and the X5 has difficulties, it'll probably get pretty expensive toward the end.
  • Options
    calmdx22calmdx22 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking to buy MDX touring w/ nav in Los Angeles area ... could anyone share their purchase price for comparison? Thanks.
  • Options
    raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    Best I've seen is MSRP, most dealers are adding options for a good deal more than one would expect.
  • Options
    robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    So, does BMW also pay for wear & tear items during the term? It would be interesting to see them doing that, replacing tires, brake pads etc. at no cost.
  • Options
    gotothelightgotothelight Member Posts: 31
    I bought my MDX from Acura of Pasadena. I had the towing package installed but other then that there were no dealer installed options whatsoever. I paid full MSRP, which was 39K for the touring with nav. Do not pay more then MSRP. Just make it clear from the get go that you will not accept any dealer added options and I'm sure they will honor your request. They did for me. Be sure and take a test drive first. Some people find the drivers seat uncomfortable. Good luck.
  • Options
    jardug312jardug312 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 MDX and was having a Thud noise problem. I took it to the Acura of Boston service department and it appears like they've created a vibration problem they can't seem to fix. Does anyone have any insight? Here's the history:

--- 1st visit: Reported a thud noise at only very slow speeds.
    (Service: couldn't reproduce problem)
    Drove it home and noise was very obvious - made another appointment.

--- 2nd visit: Thud noise still there
    (Service: Found a bad strut, replaced strut. They said there is still a softer Thud noise, but attributed it to gas slushing around)
    I drove it home and the next day on the highway I noticed I had to steer left to go straight and I got a shimmy driving faster than 70 miles/hour. Took it back.

--- 3rd visit:
    (Service: fixed steering problem, and rebalanced
    wheels)
    I drove it home and the next day on the highway the shimmy was worse than before.
    Took it back.

--- 4th visit: They had it for two days.
    (Service: rotated tires and rebalance wheels)
    I drove it home and the next day on the highway the vibration is still there. They finely tuned it, but it is still there. It's most most evident when setting the cruise control to 77 or 78 miles/hour. There is no vibration up to 75
    miles/hour. Prior to the strut replacement there was no vibration at any speed.

I made another appointment and suggested they recheck caster, camber, and toe-in.
  • Options
    I think (but could be wrong) that the basic BMW U.S. 35 months/36k miles plan only includes the scheduled maintenances and not wear and tear. There are extra-cost (of course) upgrades to 48/50 that do include some wear and tear items like brake pads, rotors, wiper blades, etc.

I don't think BMW's is as generous as, say, Audi's U.S. plan seems to be. I believe Audi does include brake pads and wiper blades, etc. in their 48/50 program.

One dark side to these plans is that the manufacturers have extended out the scheduled service periods to avoid having to pay out for services too often. Some use computers that check the quality of the oil and actually tell the customer when to go in for a service (and coming in earlier means you pay for it).

Obviously some folks aren't comfortable with this and there has been debate about whether or not the schedules are at least on the too-liberal side (even though the old adage of oil changes ever 3,500 miles is a bit thin, so to speak). Thus some customers do go in for their own services, out of their own pocket. Nevertheless, at least having some of the maintenance included takes some of the sting out of ownership costs the first 3/4 years.
  • Options
    thewormtheworm Member Posts: 80
    There's a TSB for The Thud. BTW, the suspension Thud is from the front and can be 1 of 3 seperate issues (or all 3, for that matter). The strut is but one of them. If you are still hearing noise or tramelling from the FRONT END, then they aren't finished! Here's a link to the TSB:

http://www.acuramdx.org/images/thud.pdf

BTW, the gastank slosh is "normal" but only occurs when you stop the car, and obviously comes from the REAR.

Have they tried to balance your tires on a Hunter load-balanced machine. It basically puts weight on the tires while they're being balanced and is better than just a regular spin balancer. ASK.

Since the issue w/shimmy began after the fix, obviously it's related. Could be a torque issue. If they didn't star-pattern torque the wheels themselves, or didn't properly torque the strut/damper, there's (potentially) your problem. As you probably know, a lot of service depts just use impact wrenches for everything and don't bother with torquing to spec.

Good luck and let us know.

• Options
    galvanggalvang Member Posts: 156
    My younger brother just bought a Sequoia and quite impressed with it. Although it is not as upscale as the MDX or not as sportier, it offerred some unique features that were actually better than the MDX. Case in point, retracting mirrors, VSC, full time four wheel drive with low gear transfer case, roomier interior, soft confy leather seats, all in all it is quite nice.

Had the opportunity to drive Sequioa in the snow. The Sequoia is much more superior performancewise than the MDX in the snow. With all the snow this year in Sierras the MDX drives fine and never had a problem with it. I have a pretty good feel when the MDX will break its traction. The Sequioa with its VSC was very impressive and had hard a time trying to break the traction in snow. Everytime it did, the warning sound would come on and hear the VSC applying brakes to the wheel with the slip. Sequioa was back on track. This feature is an absolute must for the MDX. Acura marketing I hope you are listening.

In a seperate note X5 has had nine recalls with this SUV. Ridiculas. I heard there was an impending lawsuit with BMW because switches causes fires. Might want to verify that. MDX and Sequioa are both excellent in reliability.
  • Options
    Take it to another shop. I had a similar problem with my isuzu trooper. I had an alignment problem. They had to install a shim to fix a non-adjustable setting. While now it was "properly aligned" it would still pull to the right. So I brought it back and had it aligned 3 more times, balanced, rotated, etc. Still pulled to the right. I was ready to do the whole lemon law thing. I brought it to another dealer, who sent it to their alignment shop once and have not had a problem with that since.

I asked how they were able to fix what has already been done so many times? They told me that trucks are very specific, without the correct equipment and knowledge, it is next to impossible to fix properly. The Acura isn't a truck based vehicle, but it is heavy. The amount of weight could cause a minor adjustment to be very noticeable. Your dealer may sell the MDX, but not be equipped to service it.
  • Options
    mark189mark189 Member Posts: 107
    I'm considering getting the navigation system on a new Odyssey. I was wondering whether it's easy to use and has widespread coverage. The dealer said you need different CD's for each region. I thought it used DVDs.

Anyway, any input would be helpful.
  • Options
    leokadia1leokadia1 Member Posts: 94
    Have your local body shop install them. Their hourly rate is is much lower than the Acura Dealers.
  • Options
    cotmccotmc Member Posts: 1,081
    I'm trolling in here for the first time in months, and I see that William is not only an expert on the MDX, but he's also very much up to speed on the German manufacturers' maintenance programs!

It's great to be back and read these excellent posts! Before I go slightly off-topic, I just want to write that our very dusty black MDX has been a real work-horse for us. We now have over 31K miles on it! We drove it cross-country from AZ to northeast OH last November, and lately it's been taking numerous laps as we make our house move 25 miles across town.

Having owned several premium brands of automobiles, and still owning an Audi A4, I would say that the premium German auto manufacturers achieved a true marketing "hit" by introducing free scheduled maintenance for their new vehicles. I believe Audi was the first to introduce this concept in North America, as my 1996 A4 included a 3yr / 50K no-hassle free maintenance package. Now that they have expanded it to 4 years, I think they now have the best maintenance package. True, after the 2nd oil change (at 10K miles), the following free oil services are 10K miles apart. However, that is still a shorter duration than the 15K to 20K intervals that the BMW or Mercedes "computers" provide. Here in Arizona, I would never go such an incredibly long duration without an oil service. Count me in as one of the skeptics who believe the German manufacturers are trying to reduce costs by extending the service intervals.

I believe that BMW and Mercedes may have technologies that allow their engines to extend the oil services a bit further than Audi, but I don't believe they necessarily place their vehicle's LONG-term reliability (reliability at 75K+ miles) as their biggest concern. Under harsher conditions, I don't trust waiting 15K miles for changing oil in a newer BMW, nor do I trust waiting 10K miles for changing the oil in an Audi. I've had service reps at both a BMW and an Audi dealer who recommended paying for an "intermediate" oil service.

As you wrote, Audi has the most comprehensive wear-and-tear coverage. They just replaced my windshield washer inserts for free, and my dealer has also been providing wheel rotations for free. BMW is not as extensive of a program, but I understand they now cover the replacement and service of more items than Mercedes. I think VW used to have a 2-year maintenance package, but I've heard they discontinued it.

Among the three premium Japanese brands, none of which include free maintenance (other than something like Lexus' two free oil changes), Acura has provided the best service experience, especially from a maintenance COST perspective. I know the MDX is a little more costly than other Acura models, because there are a couple more items requiring regular maintenance (such as the VTM-4). However, my Acura dealer's costs for standard maintenance items have been lower than what I experienced with either Lexus or Infiniti. My MDX's maintenance costs haven't been out of line from what I would expect to pay for servicing a Honda SUV.

In comparison, I think our Infiniti dealers really stick it to their customers when it comes to maintenance pricing. We had owned a '95 G20, and I have a friend who now owns a '01 G20. Considering it is a 4-cylinder model, it is amazing how much the dealer charges for maintenance on that car! Some of the costs are due to trying to get the customer to purchase extra services that aren't required (such as a fuel filter change every 15K miles!), but even the essential services are priced higher than Acura. My personal experience with Lexus' maintenance costs would put Lexus somewhat in the middle between Infiniti and Acura, but I know that varies between dealerships. For example, I know a co-worker here who paid $125 for oil service visits with his ES300!

For long-term maintenance, my bet is with Acura. I think they are just as reliable as Lexus, but their maintenance costs seem lower. And, as has already been mentioned several times, the German vehicles cost a pretty penny to maintain once those free packages expire! Considering that German vehicles don't tend to be as reliable as the Japanese vehicles, I would definitely be concerned about repair costs after 50K miles are up! If I keep my A4 that long (ha, ha), I will probably buy an extended warranty for it.
  • Options
    Good to see you drop in once in a while!

Nice analysis and observations there. I haven't compared Lexus and Infiniti service prices around here. A friend of mine is a big Infiniti fan but he takes it on the chin with vehicle depreciation.

Next year we're probably going to buy something like a Passat, A4, or Camry. I too am worried about post-warranty costs for the German vehicles, but am hopeful that their reliability is improved as Consumer Reports has indicated. Safety features (more strict than what I applied for the MDX given the lower riding height of a sedan) are going to be a major factor and I'm willing to somewhat compromise reliability ratings to get it. But I digress off-topic.

Back to maintenance costs, my Acura dealer certainly isn't cheap. But we've only had it in for a couple of services so far, one which of course wasn't cheap because of the initial 7,500 mile VTM-4 fluid change (for those reading, it's 30k, 60k, 90k, etc. afterwards unless you're following a severe maintenance schedule for the VTM-4). Still cheaper than, say, a Mercedes-Benz "B" service, however.

It's not worth it to me, personally, but I'd imagine that if one was really trying to cut the costs but didn't want to go to a service station, that a Honda dealer will eventually be able to perform normal maintenance work on the MDX, since the Pilot is so similar. That'll include VTM-4 changes. The Honda dealership might charge slightly less since they usually have a lower labor rate.

For those folks who can and prefer to lease, sometimes the BMW's, MB's, Audi's, etc. become very attractive when they can combine a nicely subsidized lease with a vehicle that has free scheduled maintenance. That can make the ownership pretty nice, and I daresay that such owners may be less inclined to change the oil outside of the relatively skimpy free ones.
  • Options
    johnnyrebjohnnyreb Member Posts: 11
    I had a Honda dealership service my MDX at the 6 month interval (5600 miles) recommended in the Owner's Manual for normal driving. I made the appointment a few weeks in advance. They ordered the VTM-4 fluid from an Acura dealer (100 miles from my home). The VTM-4 fluid and oil change required for the warranty took them 1hr. and the charge was $73 as compared to $170 that the Acura dealer charges. The Acura dealer was also going to do tire rotation and balancing which isn't required to maintain the warranty. I didn't elect to have this done, but I don't think it would have cost another $90. The Honda service manager said they were glad to do the job as they would be getting the new Honda Pilot in the spring and this would give them some idea of the service for this vehicle. He was surprised that the VTM-4 fluid had to be changed so early and I said I was just following the manual. Next change is in two years or 30,000 miles. I had this change done in December and the MDX has been fine ever since. If any of you people live a great distance from an Acura dealer or just plain want to save money I would consider taking your MDX to a Honda dealer for service. Just call them in advance to see if they will do the job. Also explain to them about the VTM-4 fluid. The Honda dealer I used thought that the differential fluid would be the same as the CR-V -- it isn't. It will have to be ordered from Acura or you could supply it yourself. They do have the oil filter and washers needed. I'm not sure about warranty work but I'll bet Honda will be able to do this work after they get the Pilot. They might even be able to do it now. I didn't think to ask. (Hopefully I won't need any. So far so good). I hope some people will find this helpful.
  • Options
    crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    Very Interesting... http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/020206-1.htm

"Brian Osler, President of the North American Automobile Trade Association (NAATA), said that manufacturers typically set prices at whatever the market will bear. This means that consumers in one country pay more money for the exact same car than people in another country...Americans are forced to pay thousands more for the same car than Canadians."

"In North America, car buyers in Canada are often required to sign agreements that prohibit them from exporting vehicles to the United States. Manufacturers also penalize their Canadian dealers when they sell cars that end up in the United States."

There's more...so I recommend everyone to read it.
  • Options
    sanand5sanand5 Member Posts: 33
    I'm not sure if this is a true problem or not but my mahogany '01 MDX just doesn't shine up well anymore. I've used McGuire's polish and waxes on it once and Zymol once. The paint seems to be "sticky" within a week or two after waxing. I've also noticed the same problem with my rear window. It doesn't seem to clean up well and the rear wiper doesn't slide smoothly over the glass (it makes a loud screech). Again a sort of stickiness. It is hard to explain but the paint and the windows have a sort of mosaic pattern that becomes visible as I apply soap on them when cleaning. And a soapy sponge seems to have more resistance as I am washing the car.

Some may think I just need to wax more often, but my BMW doesn't have any similar problems and I have waxed it less and use it more.

I know this all sounds weird. Has anyone else had a similar experience?
  • Options
    rihoopsrihoops Member Posts: 91
    I have a 2001 Mahogany MDX and have not had any problems with paint.
  • Options
    mrdeeenomrdeeeno Member Posts: 53
    considering your windows are doing the same thing as your paint, and neither is related (the window doesn't have a clearcoat), it is probably something form the environment affecting your glass and your paint.

it may just be temporary too because you said your bmw didn't do this. maybe you took your mdx somewhere one day to someplace that had some bad stuff in the air. and you may have waxed that stuff "in" with subsequent coats of wax. try washing with dawn or some other unabrasive dish detergent to remove all the old wax and put on a fresh coat afterwards.
  • Options
    sailing216sailing216 Member Posts: 98
    Wash with dish detergent (will take all wax off)(non abrasive of course), Use a polish like Meguires (will strip remaining microscopic debris and some paint), after the polish it will look and feel like a new car, now you must wax it to protect it. A good wax should last 6 months.

People have a misconception with polish, it does not protect. Don't worry about seeing a tiny bit of paint when polishing. Like waxing, do it a panel at a time, not the whole car at once. And don't drive in between wash/polish/wax. Do it when you have 6 hours to kill, or pay a professional detailer $140. My neighbor was one so this is his recommendation for my classic show car. Meguires and Zymol are both great products.
  • Options
    mccaffrey1mccaffrey1 Member Posts: 5
    Took delivery of my white touring model adding only Gold Emblem package to the exterior. looks great; drives great.

However, my wife and are having troubles with the seats. We both feel like there is a hole where there should be low back support( very bottom of the spine). I also feel like I'm sitting in a hole. We have been putting small folded towels on the back of the seat bottom and bottom of the seat back. Anyone else disappointed with the seat confort? Any suggestions?

Gas milage on first tank of mostly city driving was 14.3 mph. Is that all I can expect or does it get better as its broken in?

Ed
  • Options
    tony2putttony2putt Member Posts: 31
    I have a 02 MDX. Most city driving produces about 17mpg. I have reached 20 once. That is less than I expected also. I might have bought a Toyota if that was the case.
  • Options
    ggmdx188ggmdx188 Member Posts: 1
    I have a Granite Green MDX on order that should arrive late next month. Three questions:

1. I've been told the granite green color (and the mahogany) will be discontinued soon. Does anyone know why, since it seemed like a fairly popular choice? Is it just to make room for the new Havasu Blue color or have there been any problems with the granite green paint?

2. Do the gray fender flares work with a gg mdx or do you need to paint the flares to make it look right?

3. I tend to keep my cars a long time but would prefer to wait on deciding whether to buy the Acura factory extended warranty. Assuming I want the factory warranty on the MDX, is that something I can buy later from any Acura dealer or do I need to decide now? Any advice on how to get the best deal on it or suggestions on dealers to get it from in NY or, if it can be ordered by phone, elsewhere?

Many thanks.
  • Options
    rihoopsrihoops Member Posts: 91
    Just got 20 mpg on the highway with a cargo box on top. Tend to get 17 around the city.
  • Options
    sanand5sanand5 Member Posts: 33
    Thanks for the advice. I'll try the dishwashing detergent, new polish, new wax (when I do have several hours uninterrupted).

I also was thinking it might be environmental since it is almost a sort of tree sap quality to the paint. Since I live in the most polluted city in the nation(Houston), this is probably likely.
  • Options
    Here's some charts on some users' experience with MDX mileage. Highway mileage does seem to vary significantly based on speed.

http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1665

• Options
    fndlyfmrflyrfndlyfmrflyr Member Posts: 668
    Looked at MDX 11 months ago and finally decided to replace my 18 year old Toyota Van with one now. I do have a need for 6 or 7 seats once a while. Called every dealer within 100 miles (used Acura web site for the list). Some were charging well over MSRP and most were adding many unwanted extras. Found three dealers that sell for MSRP with no add-ons, and two more that add only the inexpensive protection package (mud flaps, wheel locks, and rubber mat for the cargo area).

Ordered one, so I could get particular color. Wait is about 6 weeks. In the mean time, I have been receiving calls from several dealers that they have MDXs available now. If I was not color specific the waiting time would be less than one week.

According to the Acura person I spoke with by phone this week, the new plant for Odysseys is operating and the production of MDXs is being ramped up. This would explain why several dealers that have called me have "extra" MDXs.

Need touring because it is the only way to get memory driver's seat. Currently have one car (Jag) with memory (seat, mirrors, and steering wheel) and one (Toyota) without (but with a power seat). Seems to take 30 minutes to get the seat "just right" in the car without memory, vs instantly for the memory seat car. For us, just this one feature makes the touring package worth every penny.

The dealer gave us three test drives. One was almost an hour long and included the roads I usually drive.

No, it is not perfect, but overall, fits our need better than any other. Sure it needs more power on the freeways (a stiff headwind will probably make it shift form 5th to 4th), yes, the 3rd row is hard to get into and doesn't have a lot of room (but, my wife, daughter, and the salesman had no problem getting in and having enough room for a 30 minute ride - I tried it too, but being big, it was a "snug" fit), no, leather isn't everywhere (doesn't hold up as well anyway), the headlights are not the latest type (with street lights nearly everywhere I drive and so many cars on the freeway at all hours it really doesn't matter). There is some road noise, but not bad. I'm sure an electronic stability assist package would make the MDX easier to control under certain situations, but the handling isn't bad as it is and it is much better than my old van.

Have heard that the 2003 models will have 3.8 liter engine with about 25 more hp and 25 pd/ft more torque. Should help on freeway hills but suspect the 03' will still downshift on most upgrades. On-Star will come with the Navi package. Haven't seen anything about VSA yet.

The Honda Pilot should be very nice and cost less. However, it isn't supposed to have a memory seat or a power passenger seat (musts for us).
  • Options
    I got a call from the Mike Harvey Acura dealer that there is no wait on the MDX either but they wanted $2000 above MSRP. I told them to go lower or keep it. I guess they are keeping it for the impulse shopper.

Another dealer (Acura of Pleasanton) is also asking for $2000 above MSRP. I told them that I am not interested.

Anyways, I have an order with another dealer already and they said that delivery is about weeks away.

Btw since the MDX is so high, will the running boards help project the doors from dings from cars?

It's a pricy option to add.

thx.
This discussion has been closed.