Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura MDX (pre-2007)

Comments

• aggiebartaggiebart Member Posts: 37
    I hope you live close to the dealer.

I'd wait for the 04's.

I will buy a Benz or BWW next time. The Germans know what TOTAL QUALITY means. Not PERCEIVED quality.

BETTER BUY ThAT EXTENDED WARRANTY IF YOU OWN AN MDX!!! Mine will be gone well before that's an issue!!
  • crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    I wonder how it will affect the resale value of 2001 and 2002 MDX's. Will this be the wake-up call for arrogant Acura and Honda dealers? I hope so.
  • rerenov8rrerenov8r Member Posts: 380
    I'm curious, do you read the ML & X5 forums? Have you owned one? My informed opinion is that they are more troublesome than the MDX. Though I do feel that the perception that BMW & MB have worked hard to build is that you do get very nice interior surfaces and are generally treated better.

The automaker's HQs are in the fatherland, but I'm simply not convinced that South Carolinians (X5) or Alamabians (ML) know much more about QUALITY than the Canadians (MDX). :)

I hope you get a good price for your MDX!
  • bodydoublebodydouble Member Posts: 801
    QUALITY does NOT automatically imply reliability.

I haven't heard too many people (even owners) associate MB and BMW with reliability.
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    It may be that the woes affecting the Acura TL, CL, and Honda Odyssey and Accord V6's are not affecting the MDX, as sbcooke has said that Acura has told him. If true, good for MDX owners, bad for TL, CL, Odyssey, and Accord V6 owners. Also probably good for Pilot owners.

Tim of Hondacuraworld.com asked Honda corporate to provide the numbers of MDX transmission replacements in the last few months. This is what he got back from them:

May 2002 - 4
    June 2002 - 1
    July 2002 - 10
    August 2002 - 4

The numbers reflect both warranty claims and accidents, so the number of actual faulty transmission replacements is not as high as the above numbers.

Four months may not be enough of an example, but if one was to extrapolate 19 replacements in four months, over a two year period that yields 114 total MDX transmissions replaced (MDX has been out for 23 months, so the number should probably be less than 114). With at least 60,000 MDX's on the road, that would suggest a transmission replacement rate of 0.19% (less than a quarter of a percent). And some of those replacements are not due to warranty claims, but accidents.

Now, I realize that the numbers can be skewed throughout a year, but so far there is nothing that seems to approach the 1.6% transmission replacement rate cited in the L.A. times article (for the CL/TL, Odyssey/Accord V6 transmissions). That may suggest that the MDX's transmission thus does not have the same issues as those ill-fated transmissions.
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    Statistics can be twisted to prove just about anything...73% of all people know that.
    The MDX is a pretty costly vehicle and its success is CRUCIAL to Acura's bottom line, if there were HOARDS of MDXs with sick trannys there would be much more talk of it.

The TL-CL problem seems far worse, in shear numbers & percentages.
    Yep ... the L.A. times article and the numbers that Tim got are the first empirical numbers I've seen. Sure, they can be doctored up, but they're a heck of a lot more reliable than the heresy that usually floats around forums.

1.6% is a lot, and it didn't feel like that number applied to MDX's, and as of right now, there's nothing in forums or hard numbers that disputes that. So maybe the Acura Client Services comment that sbcooke got was indeed accurate. We'll see.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Statistics can be twisted to prove just about anything...73% of all people know that.

Very good! I hope you don't mind if I borrow that!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
    Thank Homer Simpson for that one.
  • mark189mark189 Member Posts: 107
    This discussion reminds me I'm out of the original warranty. Has anybody priced buying and extended warranty after 36,000 miles?
    36,000 miles? The Acura warranty goes to 50,000 miles?
  • valueguyvalueguy Member Posts: 208
    I am new to this board. I own a 2000 M-B E430 Sport, 2002 Honda Odyssey EXL-RES, and 2002 BMW 330 convertible. I am thinking of trading my BMW in for a 2003 MDX. I like Black/Saddle with running boards and lower trim. What do you all think?

My wife and I do not drive our third car (BMW) much so I want to trade for a versatile, classy,
    fun SUV. As for REAL quality, you should be happy with your MDX. All cars have issues including my M-B and BMW. My Odyssey has over 10,000 miles and no problems so far. My E430 has been to the dealer for several minor repairs but the service is excellent.

If you read any of the boards (except maybe the LS430) all cars have problems. The MDX, IMHO, is
    more reliable than the X5 or ML.

The lack of HID lights as an option is disappointing. Is some sort of traction control standard?

Thanks for your opinions.
  • will4271will4271 Member Posts: 187
    Even at 1.6% failure rate... it is low.

Unless your the one with the bad transmission, of course.

No sleep lost over that.
    A 1.6% total replacement rate for a transmission is actually quite high IMHO, especially if it only represents three years worth of vehicles (2000-2002 Acura TL's, CL's, Odysseys, and Accord V6's). That rate will probably be much higher in subsequent years.

I consider myself fortunate that, based on current information, the MDX is not experiencing that same failure rate. But that's small consolation to the owners of the affected vehicles.
  • kennyinmdkennyinmd Member Posts: 18
    I drove the MDX this afternoon and loved it. The dealer had only 1 (silver) in stock and of course asking for retail. I thought about it and decided to wait and will probably go next week and put a deposit on a 2003 model. My question is that has anyone had problems putting a down payment on a vehicle that has yet to come out? The actual prices haven't been out but its supposed to be $500-$1000 more. What have anyones experiences been with down payments? The dealer says that the deposit to put my name on the list is $1000.00and that it is fully refundable if I decide to change my mind if the price is not to my liking...we all know how the dealers are when they get the money so how hard would it be to get it back if thew 2003 price is ridiculous?
    You can put a deposit down, but please get in writing:

1) Your deposit is fully refundable if YOU decide you do not want the vehicle.

2) Even though the price is not known -- if you are willing to pay MSRP, it must state that the vehicle will be purchased at MSRP + destination.

3) And that any Acura accessories or dealer add-ons are at your option, and are not required to purchase the vehicle.

E.g. the contract (some dealers have one for deposits) should state something like "purchase price @ MSRP, options/accessories at the option of the buyer, deposit fully refundable at buyer's discretion and cancellation."

Good luck!
    thanks for the info...looks like thats what i'll do...do u know if they will include the burgundy color that u can't get anymore?
    You are asking all the right things, unfortunately Acura has been acting like the 03 MDX is being built by the CIA and that info is STILL not available!

All indications, from reliable members of the automotive press, are that VSA will be standard. HIDs may be, but if not, there are aftermarket units that many owners have had great success with.

Color choice of Black/Saddle may still be offered, it was popular with some folks, but that was before the new for 03 Quartz interior was available.

I would be sure to check the price of the running boards from online sources such as hondaacuraworld.com before paying the dealer. There is no 'lower trim' per se, but the 'body side molding' may be available color matched for 03, although many owners have had body shops paint the grey stuff to match the factory paint.

Good Luck!
    I double checked and you're right, it's 4 years/50,000 miles. Not sure where I read 36,000. Thanks for the correct info.
  • diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    Perhaps you confused it with Honda's warranty, which is 36,000.
    If you decide you want the Acura extended warranty, I believe you must purchase it sometime before the warranty expires. If you buy a third-party extended warranty, different restrictions will apply.
  • will4271will4271 Member Posts: 187
    I wonder what's that rate compared to other SUVs like the RX300, X5, MLs?
    Does anybody have information about buying a warranty after purchase, or compared 3rd party warranties to Honda's?
    I was out driving in the rain today and tried to spin the wheels. My old front wheel drive car was really easy at a stop light, just step on it and they would spin.

I have not been able to get the MDX to spin the tires, or even feel the VTM4 kick in. They say it engages when you accelerate, and it must, because even in the slipperiest of wet weather I can't get spin.

I imagine I will be able to feel it this winter? Pretty smooth so far. It is a very nice system.
    Some folks swear by third-party companies, but every now and then I hear a horror story about someone contending with Warranty Gold to fulfill a claim. I think there is a forum here that discusses third-party warranties. That'd probably be a better bet to get actual experiences than on this forum.

I'm nervous enough about the third-party warranties that I'd prefer to stick with the Acura one. YMMV.

You can buy the Acura warranty from other Acura dealers, so you can shop around. However, your state may have laws restricting whether you can buy them in other states.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The Finance, Warranty & Insurance Board has a couple of active topics about aftermarket warranties.

You can also get an extended warrranty quote over the net from the Finance & Insurance link on the main Edmunds.com page.

Steve

Host

SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• sowrsowr Member Posts: 69
    Criteria for SUV (listed inorder of priority):

1) Be highly capable off-road.
    2) Be capable of carrying lots of stuff.
    3) Looks great covered in mud.
    4) 4x4 not AWD (means having LO, lockers and articulation.
    5) Not necessarily comfortable.
    6) Map and compass are just fine.

The MDX scores quite well at 2) but not good at all of the rest, verdict:

Pretender not Defender.
  • rihoopsrihoops Member Posts: 91
    1. Most people who own SUV's don't go offroad.
    2. My MDX carries lots of stuff.
    3. Doesn't need mud covering it to hide how ugly it is, because it looks good already.
    4. AWD is better for most people who buy SUV's.
    5. Why would you spend money on an uncomfortable vehicle?
    6. The Nav package is great, but not needed for most people.

Verdict: Best SUV for the money, for what 90+% of the people buy them for.
  • hiker23hiker23 Member Posts: 5
    Maybe Acura should start calling the MDX an FUV (Family Utility Vehicle)or would that hurt sales by conjuring up too many similarities to the Odyssey.

Rihoops made some very good points. No one buys the MDX thinking they are going boulder-hopping. Thats what you have the 4-Runner and Jeeps for. The Defender is also very capable but highly unreliable.

The MDX satifies the needs of that 90% looking for a safe, reliable, somewhat sporty form of family transportation....and for a good price.
  • valueguyvalueguy Member Posts: 208
    Opinions on the MDX accessories? I want to add a few items to the vehicle to make it more "masculine" looking. I think the body molding, lower trim and running boards help. Is there a rear spoiler? Are the running boards annoying? What about the side steps vs. the running boards? All opinions from MDX owners are appreciated.

I considered the X5 but the '03 MDX has more power, more room and is $6,000-$7,000 less similarly equipped.
    The running boards (or side steps) work fine, you learn to step on them to avoid getting any pants dirty. They both look good, it's a matter of personal taste. You can buy them from a place like hondacuraworld.com and install them yourself to save money.

The tailgate deflector is available, but way overpriced. The above seller will, for a fee, paint them to match the vehicle, a more unique touch.

Personally, I dislike the lower trim and fender flares, but YMMV.
    anyone know the official date when the prices will be available for the 03 MDX, and also the date it will be released??
    There is an accessories board for the MDX in the owners club area. I added running boards this weekend and posted results there if you are interested.
  • hiker23hiker23 Member Posts: 5
    From what I read online, Acura is releasing info on the 2003 MDX Sept 30th. This will be both in print and via the internet according to the source.
  • mhenderson1mhenderson1 Member Posts: 164
    There are pictures of the 2003 MDX on Wieck.com
    the 2002! There are a few interior changes...is the new radio format (the one in the pilot) any better? There is also a CD changer down below in the dash storage area...Or is that the RES?
    Apparently there was a recall recently that included the MDX? Doesn't sound major, however thought I would share.

http://www.safetyalerts.com/recall/a/02/v00332.htm

• dave210dave210 Member Posts: 242
    Acura MDX Receives Performance Enhancements and New Features
    More Powerful V-6 Powertrain Delivers V-8-like Performance
    ascii | MSWord 41k

Torrance, Calif. 09/18/2002 -- The 2003 Acura MDX luxury sport utility vehicle receives a number of performance improvements and additional features designed to enhance its position as the benchmark in the luxury SUV category. Engine modifications including a new free-flowing exhaust system, boost horsepower from 240 to 260. An all-new, more compact 5-speed automatic transmission is quieter, and provides even smoother shifts. Suspension and chassis refinements, the addition of Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) and a drive-by-wire throttle system derived from the system on the NSX supercar combine for a smooth ride and ultra responsive handling. Inside, the available Acura Satellite-Linked Navigation System receives several important new features, including voice recognition and a rear view camera. A DVD Entertainment System is now available as a factory-installed option.

"The MDX continues to be the most sought after luxury SUV on the market and the changes we've made for 2003 make it even more desirable," said Dick Colliver, executive vice president, auto sales. "With performance better than most V-8s, retuned suspension and the addition of VSA, the MDX's power, handling and ride quality will be tough for any SUV to match."

The 2003 MDX's 3.5 liter, 24-valve, all-aluminum, VTEC V-6 engine benefits from a retooled exhaust system that includes two close-coupled primary catalytic converters, a secondary underfloor catalytic converter, and larger diameter exhaust pipes. These refinements increase exhaust flow by 40 percent and, when combined with new integrated cylinder heads and a shorter intake manifold port, boost horsepower from 240 to 260 and torque from 242 lb-ft to 250 lb-ft. Combined with new, orifice-type fuel injectors, the new exhaust system makes the MDX the first SUV to meet stringent ULEV-2 emissions standards. With estimated city/highway ratings of 17 mpg city/23 mpg highway, it delivers better combined fuel economy than any of its luxury competitors.

To handle the increased engine power, the 2003 MDX receives an all-new, compact 5-speed automatic transmission. This new 4-shaft gearbox is 60 millimeters shorter than the previous transmission and features increased torque capacity. A unique shaft center design not only reduces size, but also reduces gear noise, clutch drag and hydraulic friction.

The 2003 MDX also features a new drive-by-wire throttle system, evolved from the drive-by-wire system in the NSX supercar that has been custom tailored to meet the unique demands of a SUV. This innovative system eliminates the need for a mechanical connection between the accelerator pedal and the engine, and controls the throttle during transmission shifts for improved smoothness. It also allows for throttle control to be incorporated into the MDX's VSA logic and controls the vehicle's cruise control function.

The 2003 MDX's standard VTM-4 four-wheel drive system has been recalibrated to improve performance, especially on low friction surfaces. Torque distribution to the rear wheels has been increased by up to 30 percent, providing a significant improvement in the MDX's prowess in snow or other slippery road conditions.

In addition to ample power, the 2003 MDX delivers sport sedan-like handling and a smooth, compliant ride. The suspension has been retuned to deliver an even smoother ride while maintaining the vehicle's precise handling. To accomplish this, rear spring rates were increased while damping rates in both the front and the rear where reduced. New rear damper valves were adopted to enable more precise control of damping throughout the suspension movement. At the same time, dynamic torsional rigidity of the body was increased 35 percent by reinforcing the rear wheel house, tailgate and rear subframe.

Handling is further enhanced through the application of a new Vehicle Stability Assist system (VSA) that works in concert with the VTM-4 and drive-by-wire throttle systems to provide enhanced control during acceleration, braking and cornering. This 4-channel system orchestrates the throttle and each of the vehicle's four disc brakes to seamlessly integrate traction control, Anti-lock braking, and stability enhancement for increased driver control during acceleration, braking and cornering.

The MDX features 4-wheel disc brakes with 4-channel ABS, dual piston calipers in the front, standard 17-inch alloy wheels and specially designed P235/65R-17 all-season tires to provide stability and responsiveness. Front and rear stabilizer bars, a wide track and a low center of gravity give the MDX predictable cornering response and help maximize cornering capabilities.

The styling of the MDX strikes a balance between muscularity and elegance. Acura's signature family grille and bright, clean headlight treatment highlight the sharply chiseled front fascia while a wide stance communicates a message of strength and stability. For 2003, the MDX is available in three new colors: Midnight Blue Pearl, Sage Brush Pearl and Sandstone Metallic. In addition, it receives redesigned alloy wheels, standard rear mudguards, auto-on/off headlights and rain sensing windshield wipers (w/touring package).

The MDX's interior emphasizes the vehicle's versatile yet refined character with standard-setting levels of luxury and functionality. For 2003 a variety of enhancements have been made to ensure that all materials and accessories reflect the highest level of craftsmanship and refinement. Three uniquely transformable rows of seats allow the MDX to comfortably seat up to seven passengers. Second and third row seats split and fold flat into the floor providing 82 cubic feet of cargo room. Even with all three rows in use, the MDX still offers 14.8 cubic feet of cargo room behind the third row seats.

The comprehensively equipped MDX comes standard with a host of luxury features, including a seven-speaker AM/FM/Cassette stereo with in-dash CD player, a multi-function digital trip computer and a synchronized climate control system. Standard safety features include dual-stage, dual-threshold driver's and front passenger front airbags. The driver's side airbag adjusts deployment force to one of two rates according to input from sensors, which monitor the severity of the impact, seatbelt usage and, new for 2003, the position of the driver's seat. Front passenger's airbag deployment takes into account the severity of the crash and the passenger's weight. The MDX also offers driver's and front passenger's side airbags with exclusive occupant position sensors in the passenger's seat; and the LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children) system on the second row of outboard seats to simplify child seat attachment.

While the MDX is already one of the most comprehensively equipped vehicles in its class, an optio
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?R248656D1

Some enhancements ...

260hp (up 20hp), ULEV-2, same MPG

Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA, Acura's stability control)

Voice-activated Navi with rear view camera

Available Rear Entertainment System

Chassis stiffness improvements, suspension adjustments

Some new colors

(Message edited: someone posted the full article above here.)

• dave210dave210 Member Posts: 242
    While the MDX is already one of the most comprehensively equipped vehicles in its class, an optional Touring Package adds a variety of premium features. These features include a roof rack; exclusive alloy wheels; an upgraded 200-watt, eight speaker Acura/Bose Music System with 6-disc, in-dash CD changer; driver's and front passenger's 8-way power seats, and outside door mirror memory system.

For 2003, the optional Acura Navigation System gets a variety of new features and greatly enhanced capabilities including a newly developed voice recognition system, upgraded graphics and an expanded database with more than seven million points of interest. A rearview camera has been incorporated into the tailgate, which transmits a rearview picture to the navigation screen when the MDX is in reverse gear.

A new Acura DVD Entertainment System can now be ordered as a factory installed option. The DVD player mounts below the standard audio system and plays over the MDX's sound system or through a pair of cordless infrared headphones. The 7-inch LCD screen is mounted to the headliner, just behind the front seats for use by rear seat passengers. The system can be controlled either by using the MDX's audio controls or from the rear seats through the use of a remote control or the screen's control panel.

Like all Acura vehicles, the MDX comes equipped with a comprehensive 4-year/50,000-mile limited warranty that includes Acura's TLC (Total Luxury Care) customer service package.

For more information about Acura vehicles, please visit www.acura.com. For media inquiries, please go to www.acuranews.com.
  • crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    MDX

The 2003 MDX receives a variety of substantial powertrain, styling, comfort and convenience updates. The new 260 horsepower engine and all-new transmission provide outstanding power in a state-of-the-art V-6 package. In addition, the MDX receives Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) to help enhance control during acceleration, cornering and accident avoidance maneuvers.

Enhancements for 2003 include:

Next generation engine increases horsepower from 240 to 260
    All-new compact 5-speed automatic transmission
    Drive-by-wire throttle
    Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA)
    Revised suspension settings
    35 percent increase in dynamic torsional body rigidity for a smoother ride
    Refined steering system for enhanced feel and reduced kickback
    Available Acura DVD Entertainment System with headphones and remote control
    Improvements to the optional Acura Navigation System including:
    o Voice recognition
    o Enhanced graphics.
    o Rearview camera
    o Expanded US data base coverage

Dual-stage, dual-threshold front airbags
    Additional front airbag sensors and new system control logic
    New alloy wheel design
    Auto-up driver's side window with auto-reverse
    Rain sensing windshield wipers (Touring Package)
    Auto on/off headlights
    New exterior colors:
    o Midnight Blue Pearl
    o Sage Brush Pearl
    o Sandstone Metallic
    New interior color-Quartz
    Rear splash guards
  • pf01pf01 Member Posts: 35
    Any changes to the awkward shifter gated pattern?
    The new 5-speed should at least quelch consumer fears about the auto tranny failures for the MDX.
    Nope, no SportShift, and it's the same gated shifter.

No xenon headlamps, no side curtain airbags (even though the 2003 Accord gets them), and no large upgrade to interior materials quality (e.g. real wood). I'll bet those get added during future model years.
    Horsepower
    2002: 240 hp @ 5,300 rpm
    2003: 260 hp @ 5,750 rpm

Torque
    2002: 245 lbs.-ft. @ 3,000-5,000 rpm
    2003: 250 lbs-ft @ 3,500-5,000 rpm

Redline
    2002: 5,500 rpm
    2003: 6,300 rpm

Weight
    2002: 4,374 lbs
    2003: 4,420 lbs

Looks like Acura added the power at the expense of SUV-ish engine capability. Engine has to rev higher to get the best oomph.

I'll bet 2003 owners will not really notice a difference in power, other than psychologically.

To be fair, they also made the engine ULEV-2, which forces some greater compromises. And there also has been no decrease in EPA fuel economy.
  • diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    Where did that extra ~50 lbs. come from?
    Probably from whatever they added to increase rigidity.
    VSA, rearview camera, revised AWD torque distribution, rain-sensing wipers, 200W Bose stereo are nice additions. But I agree that the extra 20 hp would be inconsequential as few SUV drivers would be zinging up to 6000+ RPM.
    Is the stereo really different, or the same? I might have missed that.

Yes, overall, there are some nice improvements. Some nice features like you pointed out, plus plenty of incremental enhancements (e.g. finally one-touch up/down, though just on the driver's window, which is more than enough for most folks).

I think with these changes, Acura has better differentiated the 2003 MDX from the Pilot. Just the inclusion of VSA will address an item that is appearing on more people's shopping lists.

The only thing missing before we can really pass judgement is: what's the price increase?
This discussion has been closed.