Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nice cars sitting in the weeds

stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
Just wondering how many of you see nice (or not so
nice) old cars sitting out in a field or back
yard, and have an urge to rescue? (Isell, I'll
count you in automatically).

At a house around the corner from me (down the
street from the Nomad and Model A guys, for those
of you keeping up with my recent posts in other
topics), there is a large supply of cars I like in
poor shape. For the 3 years I lived here, there
was an early 70's Chevelle SS sitting in the back
yard, behind a pool with no water (the house was
missing a bunch of shingle until recently just to
add ambiance). The SS needed a paint job, but
looked OK otherwise. they also had some rust bomb
Blazers and a mid 70's Corvette. A few months ago,
a '75 Trans Am (really ratty looking) showed up,
parked in front of the SS (even had a rag jammed in
the space where the shaker hood should be).
Anyway, a few weeks ago the SS disappeared, and the
Corvette took its place fo honor in the backyard.

My point (since I really should have one) is this:
Do any of you have inersting cases of cars as
lawn ornaments to share? And have you ever
actually approached a stranger about buying one of
them (or to berate them for letting a nice
potential classic go to rot)?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Tagged:

Comments

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I know better. Those cars may be tempting, but have no appeal to me. Just like the '50 Chevy I talked about.

I would never buy a restoration project. I think a person is FAR better off spending the dollars for a finished or original car.

And I'm glad we have a Homeowner's Association where we live...just in case!
  • speedshiftspeedshift Member Posts: 1,598
    Yeah, something that's been sitting in the weeds in going to be a heartbreaker. It was probably junk to begin with, and aging didn't improve it. Plus, I'd be reluctant to deal with someone who treated his money, cars and neighbors like that--not exactly a ringing endorsement of his common sense.

No, that's almost as bad as buying something that's been sitting in a wrecking yard--but if the car just arrived at the yard, then there's hope. And usually lots of hard, poorly rewarded work.

What worked best for me, back in the days I was buying project cars, was looking for an interesting, straight car that was spending all its time parked in a driveway or in front of a house. It was surplus, but it hadn't gone to seed yet. You could probably drive it home--which is 99% of the secret of success--clean it up and have a little fun. No major mechanical work. There used to be lots of these cars in the Bay Area, where people generally treat their cars well and rust isn't a problem, and sometimes you could get a decent deal.
    The problem with buying a derelict is that the guy who owns it probably doesn't have a firm grasp of reality--even less firm than the average car nut.
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,655
    Somehow I've ended up with a few of these over the years. I used to live with my grandmother, who has several acres, and plenty of place to stash a car (or several). I had a 1969 Dart GT that I had fixed up, and totaled after 2 years of troublefree driving. I promptly went out and bought a '68 Dart 270, which wasn't nearly as reliable. I held onto the '69 for parts, and had it hidden behind a barn.

I also made the mistake of buying a 1969 Bonneville for $400 from my cousin. It ate starters faster than my golden retriever eats table scraps. Specifically, it ate starter solenoids, so when you tried to start it, it would keep cranking until it either started or killed the battery. It was smooth and fast, between the time that it would finally start and the time it would overheat, but that was about it. Looking back, I wish I had just gotten it fixed instead of finally getting rid of it, but I was married at the time, running out of money fast, and couldn't afford to keep it.

I live in a condo now, so it's a little harder to have "lawn ornaments" today. Still, I haven't learned. Last year, a friend gave me his late grandmother's '67 Newport. I got historic plates for it, parked it at the curb, and drove it around the block every once in awhile. Mechanically it was great, but the body was rusting, and the interior was falling apart. When the brakes finally failed, that was it. I've already got a couple of antiques, and really didn't need another one, so I sold it.

I still have the '68 Dart, btw, and it's pretty much become a "curb ornament". I get offers all the time from people who want to buy it. Logic says I should unload it, but it's been a part of my life for too long now. Oh well, maybe some day I'll wisen up and get rid of it (or fix it up)
    -Andre
  • sgaines1sgaines1 Member Posts: 44
    If you ever want one, just go to New Mexico. I think the entire 70's production run ended up in trailer parks there. I was just there for a weeks vacation, and...oh my god! Hundreds of old cars and trucks sitting everywhere. Chargers, Impalas, LTD's, Mk. III-V's, everything Detroit made in the 50's, it's all there. It's no exaggeration to say that the average yard had at least 2. If I ever win millions of dollars, I'll go on a rescue mission with a fleet of trucks. Sure, it may be only for suckers to restore these cars, but it keeps more of them around for the future.
    Hey gang,

I almost forgot about 2 more "lawn ornaments" that I still have, in a roundabout way. About 20 years ago, my grandparents bought 20 acres of mountainous land in southwestern VA. There was a 1958 Edsel station wagon and a late 40's Buick on the property, both looked like they had been there forever, full of bullet holes, nothing but metal left (not that those old cars had a lot of plastic).

Well, last year, my grandmother signed the property over to my uncle and me. I'm kinda curious to see what another 20 years have done to those old cars! (I haven't been down to that property since I was 10!)
    -Andre
  • rea98drea98d Member Posts: 982
    My mother's parents in maryland have a few old cars on their farm, including a two-tone gray mid 80's Town Car, minus engine. The car had sat there for so long that you couldn't see it for the weeds. My brother "found" this car when he went out with orders to mow the weeds down. Didn;t Jeff Foxworthy say something about "If you mow your grass and find a car?"
    Because an 80's Town Car doesn't seem all that old...!
  • billy9billy9 Member Posts: 19
    I reverse engineered my last project. Saw a '56 Mercury 4dr sedan sitting which had the original AC, so I negotiated and bought it for $800. After deciding it was too far gone, bought a 2dr fixer upper which luckily could use alot of the parts from the donor car. I have also spotted a '40 Buick 2dr coupe sitting in a field in Tucson. Then today a guy was telling me about a man who has a 55 Olds he just wants out of there. I can't seem to quit. Help!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Hey, billy, you need to "run the numbers" before you buy the car. When you see that your restoration budget will add up to about 5X what the car is worth, you'll be cured!
  • chris396chris396 Member Posts: 53
    If you like to look at cars like that check out this site. It's full of Mopars rotting away.

http://www.carsinbarns.homestead.com/
  • dgraves1dgraves1 Member Posts: 414
    The one that really bugs me is the guy down the street from me with a Jaguar E-type V12 convertible. The car has been sitting in his garage for the entire 14 years I have been living here. Such a beautiful machine and it is just sitting there with boxes piled on top of it. I have never seen the guy doing anything with it. I'm sure that at this point, it would cost more to bring back than it would be worth but it seems a shame to see it just sitting there rotting.
    I'm drooling on the keyboard!
    Hey Mr. S, how about a change of plan? I'll get a flatbed instead of a bulldozer, and we'll go seize those carsinbarns cars from those lazy morons. If they complain we can give them some Hyundai Excels, Plymouth Horizons and Renault LeCars. I mean, if they don't care about wonderful cars like that, they don't deserve anything more. And they can still get the morbid thrill of watching cars disintegrate. In fact, it will probably happen faster with the cheapies, so they'll end up happier. Plus, it'll save me all the work of digging a hole.
    Oh, I think you miss the point of how sadistic some of those 'car misers' are....it's exactly because it IS a Jaguar V12 that the person enjoys seeing it rot; otherwise, they would not be "important" hoarders. Anyone can hoard a Renault, but it takes someone special to ruin a Jaguar V12.

Very often what happens is that a somewhat exotic car breaks big time and the owner offs it to a bottom-feeding bargain hunter (like ME for instance!).
    But UNLIKE me, many of these bargain hunters have neither the financial or cranial abilities to fix the transmission on a Maserati or the cylinder heads on a V12, so the car just rots. Call it "prestige by proxy" if you will.
  • chris396chris396 Member Posts: 53
    I know a guy who has a '68 GT KR500 Shelby Mustang convertible sitting in a tiny rundown garage with an inch of dust over the car. He will NOT sell, and has been offered $60,000 for the car by a collector from Kansas City. My dad told me the same guy had a real Shelby Cobra stolen in the 80's that also sat. This guy owns a junkyard filled with valuable cars. The yard shut down in the late 70's. This guy is strange. He lives in a rundown mobile home surrounded by all the cars like a dragon that loves to sleep surrounded by a pile of gold. Except unlike gold iron rusts.
    In all fairness, most of these guys have big plans for their cars. It's just that, after they pay for the essentials of life like beer and chalupas, there just isn't enough money left for a restoration.
    No, I think it's more than that (although that siutation might apply to some)...it's really a kind of sickness, a holding on to either impossible dreams (of restoration) or impossible goals for oneself (that one actually had the skills to restore it).. I'm sure there is a clinical name for it. I'm almost sure the man will die before he sells the car. This seems to be a control issue perhaps? Watching people beg?
    Not far from where I lived, sitting alongside an old house was a '48 Chevy. From the time I was in Kindergarden through high school that Chevy just sat there. The owner must have washed it and kept the tires pumped up since it didn't look that bad. NEVER did I see that Chevy move!

In the later years, it sported a large NOT FOR SALE sign in the window. Guess the owner got tired of having the doorbell ring!

Sometime, around 1972 it disappeared.
    There's a similar situation near my parents' house. The hostage/victim a '56 Mercury Phaeton, not a car too many people know or fantasize about, but kind of interesting: basically a 4-door hardtop with a factory top chop. This one has OD, which probably decreases its value but makes it more interesting to me. Anyway, it's been sitting in a driveway for at least 15 years, probably longer. I talked to the owner years ago, a crusty old guy who would never sell it. Yeah, it's probably a control issue. "I've got mine, and I'm not going to share." Something like that. They don't know or care that the car is slowly dying in their driveway--or maybe they do.
    Maybe it reminds them of when they were young and had teeth.
    Must be the male equivalent of having a house with 800 cats. Sigh. Really makes me mad. Maybe the Trust for Historic Preservation could get eminent domain on these cars?
    We need the automotive equivalent of the Humane Society!
    There was one of these parked at the curb on a fairly busy street in front of a house for as long as I could remember...at least the late 70's. It was a red 2 door hardtop with a white roof. Still looked fairly solid, although it would get more ragged with each season.

One day in 1991 I was driving down that road and had to do a double-take. Somebody had rear-ended the car, and the quarter panel split cleanly in half. The lower half was crumpled, but the upper half was bent so that the tailfin was pointing up at about a 45 degree angle. And you thought the tailfins on a '59 Caddy were too much!!

Then one day I drove down that street and the car was gone. I'm sure the neighbors were relieved, as they probably considered it an eyesore. Still, I kinda missed it. I got my '57 DeSoto in 1990, and had been planning on stopping by just to say hi to the owner, and see if he'd let me check the car out and compare it to the DeSoto. A great American treasure lost ;-)
  • teea318teea318 Member Posts: 2
    Hey stickguy, I have seen them riding on a train..makes me drool. One year while riding the train north, the train stopped in a small town in NC and I saw an old 69 Chevy Camaro in someone's backyard, how I wish I could have gotten off there and bought that baby! It's amazing how many nice older cars one can see. I have yet to find my dream car sitting in someone's yard or a field but when that happens,I may just get off that train and buy it!
    I don't know. I think I'd stay on that train. A car that's been sitting for years, especially in the weeds, is an ambitious project. The most likely reason it's resting is because something fatal happened to it in 1979, and now there's 16 other things wrong with it because cars don't like inactivity. And guys who stock their back yards with cars are generally not strongly connected to reality. The worst project cars I bought were the ones pulled from wrecking yards and back yards. If you can just get in and drive away, you're lightyears ahead.
  • bort1bort1 Member Posts: 13
    is a treasure chest of classics rotting away. My grandfather's farm is like that with nearly every car that he ever sent out to eternal pasture. I just wish that some were worth saving, especially the '59 Chrysler 383. It was the first car that my dad drove. Three '53 DeSoto *ignore*, a '38 Ford, and more than I can remember still rust out there. At least one I my cousins took the '46 Dodge pickup for revival. It was a basket case that had caught fire and had a shed fall on it, but it is about to come to life again with a blown 392 Hemi and new sheet metal. Can't wait to drive that truck
  • leadfoot4leadfoot4 Member Posts: 593
    For quite a few years now, I've been going to the Myrtle Beach, SC area on vacation. I-40 now runs east to west between I-95 and Wilmington, NC on the Atlantic coastline. For a long time, though, I used to take the secondary roads from I-95 east, before heading south from Wilmington down to Myrtle Beach.
    Just east of Clinton, NC, there was a 1971 or 1972 Chevelle SS sitting under a tree catching bird droppings. The car must have been there at least 10-12 years, unmoved.
    This car was the same color as the 1971 SS454 that I used to own, and every year that I drove by it there, I would get a tear in my eye, both for my stupidity in selling my SS, and for the sad fate of the SS that was just sitting there.
  • blarg1blarg1 Member Posts: 59
    These piles are there for a reason. Owner intended to fix em up, and didn't have the cash. All of these cars pre-date the credit card explosion.

I see few post 80s cars in the weeds. Im sure they are out there, I live in a nice suburb.

I always like the trees that sprouted through the engine hoods. Kinda makes the parking space permenent.
  • 404c404c Member Posts: 146
    I have some experience breathing life into derelict cars.

First was a 1961 Renault Dauphine Gordini that had sat in a guy's yard in rainy North Vancouver for at least 8 years. A friend of mine bought it and we decided to do a modest "Red-Green" type restoration on it. The engine was seized - I sold him a good bottom end from another Dauphine. We had to unseize everything else on that car, from the brake adjusters to the accelerator pedal. The rust on the bolts was horrendous! All the brake hydraulics were shot and replaced. The few rusty bits of bodywork were chopped out and patched. The head was reconditioned. The car was subjected to a cheap-ish paint job which my friend bartered for. After an investment of some $500 or so, this car ran. It lasted for 6 years in everyday use and proved to be very reliable. The reason it died: my friend sold it and the moron who bought it stuffed the poor Gordini into a tree.

I bought a 1963 Peugeot 404 sedan in 1985 - the car had already done 273,000 miles and it had been parked in the owner's yard in West Vancouver for 5 years. All the car needed was a torque tube centre bearing, an engine mount and fresh brake seals. I drove that car every day for another 80,000+ miles before it died of terminal rust.

I presently have 1966 injected Peugeot Coupé restoration project in my nice, dry garage and most of the new sheetmetal to rebuild it. Hey, if you love a car, the economics of full restoration are meaningless. Obviously you don`t want to spend $50,000 on a show-quality restoration for a Peugeot, but a decent rebuild is actually quite affordable, especially if you do some of the work yourself. Also, consider the price of a good new car, what, $25 to 30 K?
    Is it rude to offer to trade a couple Walmart metal shelves for a corvette or mustang buried under a mountain of crap in a garage? I see this phenonmon all over, 56 tbird with a tv on the hood, boxes surrounding a 65 mustang and my favorite, a 56 cameo p/u truck with a deep freeze unit in the bed. Corvettes hiding behing powerwheel cars and old rusty schwinn bikes.

Let me know. There's a sale on shelving units this week. Should I deal with the husband or the wife of these pack rats?
    If they are true pack rats, you'll never pry these cars out of their hands until either one of two things happens: a) the cars are completely ruined (this may have already occurred it sounds like, or b) they are dead.

I suspect that somehow ownership of something that someone else once gives these folks a small but to them significant sense of power. When your life has turned into a refuse yard, this could be important.

Generally, though, these cars rotting away aren't very valuable to begin with, so nothing lost really. The Mustang is probably just an ordinary coupe with a 6 cylinder engine, and the Corvette is no doubt the type that is the least valuable and least collectible (late 70s, early 80s or a beat up C4 perhaps?)

Occasionally, you will meet some foolish pack rat who is destroying a valuable or significant car. I think folks like this should be arrested and the car seized in the name of decency.
  • dpwestlakedpwestlake Member Posts: 207
    There's a guy down the street from me that has several vehicles in the weeds. There are a couple of mid '70s land barges, look like Chrysler New Yorkers. and a 53 Chevy 3100 pickup. They have all seen better days but the pickup might be worth salvaging. Maybe after I finish the TR7 and the Saab 96.
    yeah, forget the Chryslers...but the Chevy pickup, if it's all there, might be worth saving if it's not too rusted. You can still get lots of parts for those old pickups, which is a plus in any restoration.
    I came treacherously close to saving a '77 or so New Yorker from the junkyard about a month ago. It had a good engine and tranny, and the body was sound. Interior was flawless, but won't be for long, because all 4 power windows had been rolled down all the way.

By this time, the gas tank had been cut off, which they do to all the cars, and the back seat cushion was loose (I hear that the average junkyard makes about $1-2 per car just in change down in the seats), but everything else was there.

Still, I'm guessing that it ended up in the junkyard for a good reason, and should probably stay there!

-Andre
    best thing is to walk away. That thing could sit in my garage making mrs blarg crazy. when are you going to fix that peice of crap, and when are you going to sell it?

Behing every garage queen is a suffering wife.
    It's a big and difficult car to restore and when you are done, you don't have a car worth anything. It would be an exercise in futility I think. Better to scrap it and make new fenders for 2002 Miatas!
    But those plush leather seats with the little buttons were sooooo comfortable! I sat down in the car and almost fell asleep right in the junkyard! Oh well, better there, than out on the street!

Something about a 4-door hardtop with rear windows that actually go all the way down attracts me, too. Probably the fact that it doesn't make it so rough when the air conditioning dies!

Personally, I'd never buy the thing to restore to show quality, but I figured if the engine and tranny were still decent, might make a fun boat to drive around in until it got worn out.

-Andre
    Sure, nothing wrong with that if it's near ready to drive....I'd presume, though, that it's in the wrecker for a reason.
    I rescued another car from this same junkyard about 4 years ago, a 1979 Newport R-body. I paid $250 for the car, but then ended up sinking about $900 to get it through inspection, then another $650 when the tranny went out. After that, the parking brake broke, then the alternator, then the fuel pump, then the steering column, then the power steering pump, and finally, the water pump. That was the last straw. I could've fixed it, and for all I know I'd still be driving the thing today. After all, after the transmission went, nothing else was really major. Well, the steering column ended up being $350 total. I think once it was all said and done, my $250 car ended up costing over $2600! I had the car for about 2 years, but only had it on the street for about 14 months, so I figure it came out to about $185 a month. You can't get much of a newer car for $185 a month, so I guess I didn't do too bad...

Still, looking back, I should've let that dog rest, and reason (and high gas prices) won out with my decision to leave the '77 alone, too!

-Andre
    How can a steering column break? that's weird......
    Actually, those little buttons in the seats were the only reason a Grand Marquis won out over a Chrysler when my grandmother bought her last brand new car in 1978! If it hadn't been for the seat buttons, my first car would have been an Imperial!
    I still don't know exactly how the dang thing broke, and it's been long enough now that I can't remember exactly what happened. I think the turn signal stalk fell off, or the cruise, or something like that, and I tried unsuccessfully to take the steering wheel apart to get to it, gave up, and took it to the repair shop. I remember messing up the horn in the process!

I think it might have had something to do with the tilt, but I'm not sure.

Anyway, they could only find one other R-body steering column (and sadly, I recognized the car it came out of...same junkyard!) I ended up losing my tilt and my cruise (the cruise stalk wouldn't fit on the other column) but on the plus side I got functioning interval wipers and a nicer steering wheel with no fake wood!

-Andre
  • ineto6ineto6 Member Posts: 161
    I saw a rusted brown colored Bentley, probably 20 years old, parking in the grass with a for sale sign. I wonder how an expensive car like that somehow wind up in the rural area. Of course, along the road I also see a dealer selling only vintage T-birds.
    70s and 80s Bentleys that are shabby are worthless. The restoration and repair costs are enormous and the cars are not really worth anything, even in super nice condition. They are $25,000 cars all day long and sinking fast in value as we speak. Exceptions would be any open cars, but even they aren't all that valuable---again due to punishing repair costs. e.g., a brake job is easily $6,000-8,000, if everything goes well. The little screws that hold the top of the master cylinder on (8 or 12 of them) are $4 each, hubcaps are about $400 apiece.

And, ironically, they aren't even very good cars.
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    The 'reasoning' behind not selling this stuff is 'control'. They have something someone else does or may want. Someone with more money and usually sense than them, so they 'have something they want'.

Giving them a small, real or imagined power over someone.

What I really don't understand is the people that just let 'junk' lie. Get the wrecker to give you $50 for it. That's $50 you will never have. Because you haven't fixed it in 5 years, so you will never fix it.

Guy across the street moved in and pushed a dead Toyota pickup into the drive. 5 years later, when the count of dead cars hit 3 in the driveway, I finally called the city. Had to make 5 complaints to the city to get any real action.

He had a wrecker pull one car away. Don't remember what he did with the 2nd car. The pickup he pushed into the garage one day before the city was to take formal action aganist him. Oh yes, the house had a 2-car garage. With no cars in it, but 3 dead ones in the drive.......

Him and the people 2 houses down that let the 2 kids vandalize the neighborhood (and I think mom actually helped them at times) was the reason I sold my house and moved.
    Not by any stretch of the imagination, but there's a truck stop here in town that's had an early 1970's Mercury Montego sitting behind the building for a long time. I moved in my current house about a year ago, and I know the thing hasn't moved since then. It's especially painful to me because, I have a soft spot in my heart for the unloved 1970's sedans, and except for one wrinkled fender, and peeling paint, the body's in great shape. With just a little love, this car could be on the road again. Then agan, spend all the time and money fixing it up and it would still only be worth a grand or two, so I suppose languishing behind a truck stop isn't the worst fate an old car can endure. At least it didn't go to the crusher!
    Well, some of the old sedans could make good parts cars for coupes and convertibles of the same/similar manufacture.

I think bolivar is right on, it is a "control" issue that explains why people would let old cars rot in their possession. I can understand if you are on a farm or some such (big hassle to tow it away unless you bury it), but for people who are only a phone call away from the wrecker, what's the point. Many of these cars are best scrapped and recycled, there is no other reason to keep them.
  • smokin_olds442smokin_olds442 Member Posts: 41
    ...I found a whole hoard of classics in the woods. An old Corvair, 'Cuda with a 318, early 60's Impala, panel trucks galore. Turns out these cars belonged to an elderly woman who lived in a house that you wouldn't even know was there. When I offered her $3000 in cash for the 'Cuda (which needed much work), she refused to sell. She said it had sentimental value, if that's the case, wouldn't she rather have a car nut restore it and keep it in good condition rather than letting it rot in the woods?!
  • leadfoot4leadfoot4 Member Posts: 593
    I went back to Myrtle Beach again this year, and because I didn't hit much traffic, I was ahead of schedule. Therefore, I took the "scenic route" through North Carolina instead of the Interstate.
    Sure enough, the Chevelle SS that I mentioned before is still parked under the same tree. This year, however, it has a couple of 1970 Chevelle Malibus parked nearby to keep it company.
    It looks like a restoration project is upcoming. Maybe by the year 2012 it will be completed......
This discussion has been closed.