Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura MDX (pre-2007)

Comments

• spfoteyspfotey Member Posts: 131
    those sketches don't (hopefully) tell me enuf to form an opinion. I own the current MDX and an 06 TL. I like the TL alot but consider the RL to have missed the target (would take the M35 over it any day) and the MDX needs an upgrade. i guess we'll find out soon enough...
  • raychuang00raychuang00 Member Posts: 541
    ...The long-rumored V-6 turbodiesel engine that meets the 2007 diesel emissions standards.

It certainly makes sense, since Mercedes-Benz has confirmed they will bring over the Bluetec clean turbodiesel engines to sell in all 50 states within the next 24 months; the Bluetec engines would likely end up on the M-series medium SUV, G-series large SUV and R-series large wagon. I think Honda will offer this new V-6 turbodiesel on the Acura MDX, Honda Pilot and Honda Ridgeline models within the next 18-24 months. :)
  • transpowertranspower Member Posts: 213
    The MDX Concept reminds me of the RDX, just bigger. I think it looks OK. Raychuang00, where did you get the information that Honda may offer a V-6 turbodiesel in the MDX, Pilot, and Ridgeline?
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    It's been rumored that Honda is working on such an engine. Other than Ray's post, I have seen absolutely nothing which would suggest that Honda is done developing the engine, has plans to us it in the MDX, or even intends to bring it to North America.

He must be an insider. :shades:
  • mark99mark99 Member Posts: 6
    Not likely or they would have advertised it. Simply insert an MP3 and see if it works. I have an 06 MDX and assumed it would not so I haven't even tried it. Let me know how it goes, but I doubt it will work. One option (if you have the single CD base model) would be to add a CD changer that accepts MP3s.
    The new MDX is going to have some competition this fall: new Toyota Highlander, new JGC w/Bluetec Diesel, new Lincoln MKX, new BMW X5 (Diesel?). The Cadillac SRX isn't changing; neither is the Lexus 400h. It looks like it's going to be fun auto-shopping in the Fall!
    I think it looks OK. Raychuang00, where did you get the information that Honda may offer a V-6 turbodiesel in the MDX, Pilot, and Ridgeline?

I believe it was from one of Honda CEO Takeo Fukui's speeches he made last year at a major auto show.
  • jolietjimjolietjim Member Posts: 2
    Every morning, when I start up the 2003 MDX, the car shakes when I turn to the right or left. I have had it to the dealer 4 times. He has replaced pins, and yesterday he installed two new axles. This morning, the same problem is with me. The car vibrates when it has not been running for a while, and this is driving me crazy. The dealer is 25 miles away, so I am doing 50 mile round trips while they scratch their heads. Any thoughts?

Jim
    Chicago
  • bimmer4mebimmer4me Member Posts: 266
    motor mounts?
  • jolietjimjolietjim Member Posts: 2
    Not being a car person, I have no idea. I assume the series of people at my Acura dealer who worked on this might have checked that out. I will write to Acura this weekend and ask them if they have another service place in the Chicago area where someone may have a clue.

All the best,

Jim K
    I did a search on the Web to see if, in fact, Honda has a Diesel engine in production. Uh, to my utter astonishment, they do. I'm thunderstruck--who knew? Anybody here? In England they sell a Diesel version of the CR-V, Accord, and Civic. I found some reviews of the CR-V 2.0i CDTi Executive, which were quite favorable. It gets 42.2 mpg! Jeez. And you can get a navigation system with it (you can't get one in the U.S. for the CR-V). And another item: recently I did a massive amount of research to find a cell phone to replace my aging 8-year old Motorola StarTac, and decided that the T-Mobile MDA Pro was the most advanced. Alas, it's not available in the U.S., so I got it from the U.K. by bidding on eBay. So, in these two cases (at least), Europe has more advanced technology than the U.S. We may have to rethink our assumption of automatic technological superiority.
    Honda sells the 2.2-liter i-CTDi engine only in Europe because European emissions laws favor the use of such an engine. But with the arrival of low-sulfur diesel fuel this summer I wouldn't be surprised that Honda is seriously looking at selling a Honda Civic sedan with a US-legal version of the i-CTDi engine and a slightly higher-displacement version of this engine (probably 2.4 liters) could end up on the next-generation Honda CR-V small SUV and maybe even the Honda Accord sedan! :D
    Honda can't make the 2.2L diesel fast enough. All the units they can produce are being sold. Europe is where the need is. So that is where Honda will sell them. When they have enough production capacity that they've got extras lying around, we might see a few.

The last news I read (more than a year old) had Honda looking to create a "diesel hub" in europe. Turkey had one of the sites of the new plant. Currently, they have a small plant in Japan cranking them out. I haven't read anything suggesting that they've finished building a new plant.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "Acura's MD-X concept, revealed today at the NY Auto Show, is a thinly veiled prototype of the redesigned 2007 MDX sport-utility that will go on sale this fall."

Acura Aims to Please Dads AND Moms (The Driving Woman)

Steve, Host
  • tyggertygger Member Posts: 59
    I'm looking to buy a used MDX and was wondering if the 2005 was worth the extra costs over a 2004. If not, then would a 2003 be worth the extra costs of a 2003?

Edmunds says that the 2005 model has standard XM radio and bluetooth, but those don't really matter to me. What does interest me is the larger fuel tank and the enhanced stability control. Is the larger tank worth it and what was enhanced with the stability control? It also has an "enhanced" database for the navigation. Can't this be updated with new 2006 discs?

The 2004 has slightly more power, but that doesn't really matter since it's marginal. I haven't seen enough MDX's to distinguish the difference between the newly redsigned fascia vs the 2003 and older models. From the Edmunds pics, they look the same.

The 2003 model seems to have many major improvements over the 2002 and older models so I think this would be the oldest I'd consider.

Thanks for helping.
    Edmunds does a great job of giving buyers an easy overview, but you might want to go to the source for the kind of details you're looking at.

Here's the "what's new" press release for the 2004 MDX.

http://hondanews.com/CatID3027?mid=2003090335871&mime=asc&archives=t

Here's one for the 2005 model.

http://hondanews.com/CatID3027?mid=2004083154671&mime=asc&archives=t

It's quite a bit of reading (which is why Edmunds is much easier), but you can sort out the details by going through it.
    Based on the announcements from Honda yesterday via CEO Takeo Fukui's speech:

http://world.honda.com/news/2006/c060517MidYearCEOSpeech/

Honda has confirmed they are working on I-4 and V-6 turbodiesel engines that meet the EPA Tier 2 Bin 5 and CARB 2007 diesel emission standards.

The V-6 engine is of particular interest for the MDX, since a 3.0 to 3.2-liter turbodiesel rated at 210 bhp but with a very high torque peak at low revs would be perfect this vehicle. This could force Mercedes-Benz to offer the ML320CDI and R320CDI with its BlueTec clean diesel engine technology to arrive as soon as possible to compete against the MDX.
    Not for a long time. And probably for places like Australia and other UK markets before we see it in an MDX here.

When it does arrive in the states, it will probably debut in the Ridgeline.
    Not for a long time. And probably for places like Australia and other UK markets before we see it in an MDX here.

From what I've heard about that V-6 turbodiesel, Honda is developing specifically for the US market because the power and torque peak of the V-6 turbodiesel is well-suited for the Honda Pilot, Honda Ridgeline, Honda Odyssey and Acura MDX models. The engine will likely be a 3.0-liter unit rated at 210 bhp (SAE 08/04 net) but with a really high torque peak.

With 30-35% better fuel efficiency compared to the V-6 engines now in the Honda vehicles I mentioned, that could extend the life of Honda's larger vehicle well past 2010, especially if the US sees a push for large-scale biodiesel fuel production.
    Like I wrote above. When it comes here, it will be used first in the Ridgeline and maybe the Pilot.

However, the MDX probably will not see it. Not at first. Here in the US, diesel still has a bad reputation. And very few luxury car buyers are going to accept it.

Now, go someplace like Australia (where the MDX is sold as a Honda), and it's a different story. They have more respect for diesels and they also use their 4WD wagons for utility purposes. The extra torque would be welcome there because they actually tow and haul things other than baby strollers and ski boots.

Go to Europe and you'll find the V6 diesel powering the Honda Legend. That's another market with respect for diesel power.

But Honda is not going to develop a diesel engine (which could sell like hotcakes in other markets) and waste the few units they can produce trying to force feed it to Americans who don't want it. That's like selling hot wings in a daycare.

It will come to America, but only for those vehicles where there is demand. And right now, the only demand for diesels here is found in the big truck segment.
    I can understand your concerns, but the latest turbodiesel engines sold in Europe are not the old clattering, smoky engines of yore. Indeed, the Honda 2.2-liter I-4 i-CTDi engine sold in Europe has been much-lauded for its quietness and smoke-free operation. If you're driven the Mercedes-Benz E320CDI sedan (legal in 45 states here in the USA), the car has almost no trace of engine clatter, and the exhaust is generally pretty clean.

By applying what was learned from the i-CTDi engine, Honda's US-legal I-4 and V-6 turbodiesels will be quiet, smoke-free engines that offer 30-35% better fuel economy than its gasoline engine equivalent. That type of better fuel economy with the Odyssey minivan is very attractive to the "soccer mom" crowd, and that could really send the sales of the Odyssey zooming way upward. :)
  • master1master1 Member Posts: 340
    The problem with diesels is cold start ups, and they are more expensive to make. More insulation needs to be added, minimized vibration materials, and the parts have to be stronger. It would be more costly to buy. Many families travel on vacation, and they can't worry about it not starting! :P

This is a bit off topic, though
    According to this article in The Journal News dated May 28, 2006:

http://www.lohud.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060528/BUSINESS01/605280315&Se- archID=73246045999096

Honda got a US patent for a new type of exhaust emission control that can remove the high level of NOx emissions from diesel engines without needing the complicated urea gas injection system found on DaimlerChrysler's BlueTec diesel emissions control system. Combine this with a modern diesel particulate trap that "burns off" the particulates Honda could achieve EPA Tier 2 Bin 5 and CARB emissions certification for their turbodiesels rather easily. :shades:
    "A desirable compact luxury SUV that, for some people, might sacrifice a bit too much utility in its quest for maximum on-road presence."

First Drive: 2007 Acura RDX (Inside Line)

Talk about it in the Acura RDX discussion.

Steve, Host
    I picked up Consumer Review's 2007 Car Preview magazine at the supermarket today and flipped through the pages. I've got to say most of the vehicles look ugly--including the new MDX and RDX and CR-V. Of the various boxy vehicles shown, the best one executed is the 2007 Ford Fairlane. And the only semi-attractive SUV/crossover I could find is the 2008 Buick Enclave--but it looks kind of big. The two Jeep models, the Compass and Patriot, look OK, but their only interesting feature is the CVT2. So, all in all, I'm not very impressed with what's coming up, which is a reversal of my opinion from a while back.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A large internet Web site is looking to interview consumers who are SUV owners. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Tuesday June 20, 2006 by 2:00 PM PST/5:00 PM EST containing your daytime contact information and the SUV you currently drive.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
    2007 Acura MDX stays true to the Concept (Inside Line)

Steve, Host
  • jbernerjberner Member Posts: 4
    Looking to buy a used MDX as I need a 7seater SUV. Have decided on the MDX after researching reliability of XC90 and Explorer (am a 4 Runner owner but need a change). Am willing to buy car with up to 70k miles which I hope to drive another 6-7 years. Any tips on what year/model MDX I should consider or avoid and what I can get away with paying? Are there dealers to go to and avoid in the Boston area? Also, is there a big difference between the Touring and regular model, and is "Acura Certified" that important? Finally, are there any used car concerns I should be aware of in general (recalls, typical repairs after extended miles, etc.) or specifically with regards to the Acura MDX? Thanks
    Back in November, I went with a 2004 Touring model.

2004 was the year that Acura made a number of enhancements to the basic design. The exhaust system and engine got a tweak. The styling got tweaked. They added side curtain airbags and a few other tidbits.

For more information about the various changes from year to year, try the following link. Pick a year... select the MDX... read up... Pick another year...

http://hondanews.com/CatID3047?html=acuranews-archives.html
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    Avoid the 2001 and 2002 MDX's as they have an older transmission design that is more problematic.

Edmunds TMV numbers should provide some sense of what a used MDX should cost.
  • rayjay2rayjay2 Member Posts: 14
    Are running boards standard on the 06 MDX??

If not does anyone know the price of adding them??

Ray
    They're not standard. A quite google puts prices somewhere between $300-350 unless you want the satin finish.

I just wish the running boards had the same footsies on them as the rear bumper guard. :blush:
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    We just got back from another week long road trip in our '02 MDX. I cannot say enough good things. With a Thule box carrier and bike rack attached we were able to take everything under the sun with us, have plenty of room to spare to ride in comfort. The portable dvd player kept the kids busy and we soaked up hundreds of highway miles. Power on the highway is great. Parked on a super steep gravel incline we just hit the vtm lock and drove right off without spinning a tire. Not to mention great gas mileage on the highway to boot.

Everytime I take our truck on a family road trip, I cannot help but think about what a great vehicle it is. I know a lot of people have had issues, it may not be as refined as other luxury vehicles and I am sure I will have something significant break on it...however the utility, performance and function for long family road trips is simply superb.
    Did you happen to record your fuel use for that trip?

I'm taking a jaunt up to NH next week and will have the rig loaded with the critter and the two greyhounds. It's not a long trip - only 400 miles round trip. Of course, we'll put some additional miles on it while we're up there.

With the dogs taking up most of the cargo area, I went with a hitch-mounted carrier instead of something mounted on the roof. I just use a larger Rubbermaid tote to protect things from the elements. I had a smaller one for my CR-V and it worked out very well.

http://www.stowaway2.com/product.aspx?id=86&cid=37
    I stopped checking mileage on road trips. I find that on straight highway gas station to gas station, without a box and bike rack we get 24 mpg...so I would guess about 21+ for this trip. We have a lot of idling time at stops though, factoring that in with 320+ miles in under a tank usage, I think 21ish is fair for the driving mileage.
  • geoschageoscha Member Posts: 3
    Have to second the praise for the MDX on long road trips. We just returned from a 2000+ mile jaunt from Chicago to the Outer Banks and back; with a full load and a (fairly) heavy foot, we got a consistent 21 mpg. And the nav system helped us find roads and hotels easily. When we traded my wife's RX300 for the MDX two years ago we thought we were taking a little step down in luxury and features, but this car has been a consistently strong performer and with its great utility it was the perfect vehicle for our vacation.
  • scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    We also just got back from a trip from MA to MI, then to IL and then back home.
    The truck was fully packed and we had a round trip average of 24 MPG.
    Our 3 yr old loved the DVD player, we never opened a map with the use of our nav and except for sore bums, the trip was awesome.
    I wish the seats were softer, but our '06 MDX has been great so far.
    8,000 miles and counting (Quickly)!
  • l943973l943973 Member Posts: 197
  • gteach26gteach26 Member Posts: 576
    The new MDX looks VERY nice... roomy, sporty, luxurious... should be a hit.

I'm "in" for a test drive next year!!!
  • lmgkeyslmgkeys Member Posts: 20
    We have been looking at the Volvo XC90 and really liked it but have come upon the MDX and are very curious. We have four kids ages 4, 7, 8 and 10. Can anyone give me some feedback as to the third row of the MDX and interior space for a family of our size. We are downsizing from an Excursion and do not want another gas guzzling tank. We haven't been to an Acura dealer yet so if anybody can let me know what the inside size is like and how it compares to a XC90 I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
    The most significant advantage (in terms of size) when compared with the XC is going to be width. The MDX is a wide beast. When you're 8 and 10 years olds become 12 and 14, they will appreciate that extra space in back. But with most of them in car seats or boosters, I'm not sure it will make a big difference today.

Of course, you might appreciate it if you find yourself installing and removing those seats on a regular basis.
  • low_ball_88low_ball_88 Member Posts: 171
    Also, Check out the 07 X5. It will come with a 3rd row seat. With the ages of your children, you will probably need a full size SUV. The other option is an Odyssey Touring with NAV and DVD. Then put the savings toward their college fund. ;)
    Our 2002, I don't think the 2006 offers more space? Is fine for kids or small adults. For a lot of in and out...it is better for kids for agility reasons because it is easier to climb over the seats or through the back for entry than to actually slide the seat back. Our 7 year old does great back there with a booster seat. I think if you are looking to fit adults on a regular basis, perhaps pass...but for occassional trips, it is very easy to open/close the seats, one or both of them and is great. I like the fold flat feature for the normal 95% of the time when we have no one else with us...but when my parents visited us on vacation, it was nice to take everyone to dinner in one car. I don't think I could go on vacation with someone in the 3rd row, but once unloaded, the seats work great.
  • lmgkeyslmgkeys Member Posts: 20
    How does the MDX compare to the XC with legroom? The kids loved the XC90 but I know once they ride in it awhile and as their legs grow the novelty will definitely wear off so if the MDX can offer more space it may be the way to go. Also, the MDX looks like it has more cargo space with the 3rd row up, does it? I need some cargo space with the 3rd row up for when all 6 of us are in the car so I'm curious as to what the MDX has. I've done the minivan thing and it's not me so I'm avoiding going that route. I know that a fullsize SUV is what would make sense for a family of our size but with gas prices rising I'm tired of being a slave to a gas guzzler and ready to downsize and make concessions to get better gas mileage. I'm trying to find the best compromise and it's difficult so thanks for any feedback.
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    An MDX does have more cargo room with the 3rd row seat up, than an XC90.

However, there isn't much of it. This is where a minivan or a full-size SUV will beat an MDX.

You could put three kids in the second row, and just one in the third row. The third row splits so you could put some packages next to the child in the third row.

But it's still going to be tight, and not enough space for trips in the vehicle. You can add a roof-mounted cargo carrier, or a hitch-mounted one for such occasions.
    It's been a while since I've compared the MDX and XC90 side by side. Based on what I can recall, Wmquan's description is about right. The MDX has more space behind the 3rd row, but neither vehicle is very generous back there.

Legroom? Same story. Do you prefer 'very cramped' or 'extremely cramped'? You're picking between the lesser of two evils. Though, while we're on that subject, I just took six adults and one critter to dinner last week. Much easier to find street parking for one vehicle than two. That third row does come in handy for occasional use.

I like William's suggestion regarding the use of an aftermarket carrier to add to the cargo capacity. However, be aware that external cargo boxes are going to decrease fuel economy - perhaps to the point where you're not doing much better than you were with the full-size SUV. So, be aware that those options are perhaps not the best solutions for full-time use.
  • low_ball_88low_ball_88 Member Posts: 171
    Do some calculation on fuel use and price. The MDX uses Premium while most if not all full size SUVs and minivans use regular.

You may find it very close in cost to operate, especially if it is a minivan. All will fit nice and comfortable while getting good gas mileage.

JMHO
  • ggeramanisggeramanis Member Posts: 1
    I have the same question as this earlier post regarding adjusting the roof rack. Anyone have the answere?
    I have a Thule Summit carrier and it did not fit. I drilled 3/8" holes one section in and about 4" back on both sides. It fits great now. I covered the old holes with electrical tape.
This discussion has been closed.