Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 300

Comments

• rx2000rx2000 Member Posts: 11
    The clicking noise that sounds after the engine shut down is from the expansion/contraction of the engine parts. Aluminum is used extensively in the RX engine.

This sound is normal to most Aluminum block engine.
  • tonychrystonychrys Member Posts: 1,310
    Michael, I would love to see pics if you can post them. I live close to you and know where Rallye is.

I really want to get a set to help to my 3 year old get in and out. I'd like to see how running boards look instead of side-tube-steps.

thanks
  • wegstereowegstereo Member Posts: 9
    I didn't get a chance to take any pictures today as I took a 2 hour ride to Warwick for my nephews b-day. I'll take some and post them soon (if I ever get some free time.)

Glad to hear that the clicking is normal. Do you hear it when you turn your car off?
  • weinsteiweinstei Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know what changes they are planning on making to the 2002 RX300?
  • rparis2rparis2 Member Posts: 46
    I just took delivery last week of my RX. Sure is a nice car. When you put the key in the ignition- (do not turn it) does anyone know what the noise is coming from the engine. Sounds like something is being activated.You have to put the hood up or have it in a small enclosed area. I asked my service manager, but he did not know.
    Also, does anyone know the message number on this site as to what can be programmed into the key FOB?
  • cas5cas5 Member Posts: 8
    Hello, has anyone out there recently purchased a 2001 DX 300 in the Houston area? I am interested in one with the premium plus package, rear spoiler and maybe HID headlights. The dealer quoted me $38,475. That sounded very high compared to what I have been reading in the posts. Any helpful feedback on this would be appreciated. Thank you.
    "Glad to hear that the clicking is normal. Do you hear it when you turn your car off? "

There's only two noises that I consider "normal" on the 2001 RX300, as stated before:

1. "Ticking"-- this is sound you might hear only from inside the cabin, engine running, car stationary, everything else off (stereo, fans, etc.) For folks that have ever driven a '70s engine, it sounds like "lifter tick". It is actually the fuel injectors on the 3.0L engine and can be reproduced on other Lexus cars with the same engine.

2. "Clicking and random metal noises"-- this is sound you hear after you have driven for awhile and have just turned off the engine. As already pointed out, it is the sound of expansion and contraction of metal parts of the engine and exhaust components. I have heard this on every new car I have ever owned and is normal.

Hope this clears things up. This vehicle is dead quiet while running, any other noises need to be investigated further.
  • plumbstarplumbstar Member Posts: 12
    Everytime I first start to drive my '01 rx awd, I hear a noise coming from the right front of the car. It happens right when I first start to drive. The dealer says this is a self diagnostic on the anti lock system. I had an '00 & never heard this. It's kind of irritating. Does anyone know what this is?
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    What kind of noise? How long does it last? I have noticed that it sounds like something is loose in the front right wheel area when I start out and go over small potholes. Go over the same patch of road every morning so I hear it everyday. Funny that it doesn't happen after the car is warmed up. Lexus service has checked twice and found nothing loose.
  • rparis2rparis2 Member Posts: 46
    I own an RX and and ES 300. The heated seats on the ES, on low, seem much warmer than on the RX. In fact, with the RX, on low, I can barely feel the heated seats. Is this true with other RX owners?
  • trmgatrmga Member Posts: 50
    The dealer can program your key to change volume of beep, silence buzzer with any door closed, program turn signal lights not to flash, etc, etc. Try reading the Owner's Manual, page 14. All kinds of interesting stuff in that little book. And some of it is important!!
    I think the general idea of the present bi-level heated seats (they weren't always bi-level) is that you turn them on High when you first get in, heats up your toushy real quick, then put them on Low for the reat of the trip.

There are even some models that automatically switch to Low after a certain time.
  • rmorin2rmorin2 Member Posts: 110
    Is there an established fix for the glove box rattle? I think I remember hearing about it earlier. The driver's seat cushion has started to develop cracks on the left edge. Our RX is a 2000 model and is a little over a year old. Has anyone had luck getting their seat cushion replaced due to this problem?

We are still having the intermittent rumbling noise at idle when in gear. Vehicle is going in next week for a routine oil change service and we hope they will be able to find the problem. It has been ongoing for about 6 months although it seems to be getting better now that the weather is starting to warm up.

Thanks for any advice.
  • pschiffepschiffe Member Posts: 373
    The following are provided:

all doors lock/unlock operation
    transmitter switch misoperation prevention
    repeat function
    security function
    operation verification beeper function
    door ajar warning function

The volume of the operation verification beeper and operation of the door ajar warning function can be changed in the Customized Body Electronics System.

These functions can be programmed:

open door warning on/off
    wireless buzz volume
    wireless operation on/off
    car finder on/off
    alarm function on/off
    int lights on unlock on/off
    one press all unlock on/off
    auto lock delay 30/60 sec

Pete
  • adpcsadpcs Member Posts: 59
    I picked up mine last month in Houston for $37,225 + TTL. It is blue vapor w/ nav system package. It also has tinted front windows, pinstripe, and rear spoiler.
  • sandiegotomsandiegotom Member Posts: 50
    I participated in a BMW "Ultimate Driving Experience" demo and driving school in San Diego this past weekend. It was held in the Qualcom Stadium parking lot. My wife, an RX300 owner, got the invitation, but I attended. Among other demos and test rides, and allowing us to flog new BMWs around autocross courses, they put on a demo which may be of some interest to members of this forum. They had an inclined ramp about 20 feet long, with left and right tracks constructed of shipping rollers and flat steel plates, in such a manner that only one wheel could be on a plate (with traction) at one time, but each of the other wheels would eventually get to a plate if the vehicle went up the ramp. The stated purpose of the test was to demonstrate that the BMW could continue moving with traction on any one wheel. Well, you guessed it, the AWD RX300 never got past the first plate (the right rear wheel) because the power was delivered to the spinning wheels - the X5 walked right up the ramp. The BMW spokesman claimed that only 5 AWD or four-wheel drive vehicles (out of about 50 on the market) can pass this test: the X5, Hummer, Jeep Grand Cherokee with Quadra(drive?), Landrover, and Mercedes ML.

Please don't beat me up, I'm just reporting what I saw.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    The demostration you speak of might have been done with a pre-2001 RX300 without the OPTIONAL limited slip. The 2001 RX300 is equipped with Trac, thus it should automatically BRAKE any spinning wheel. BMW uses the exact same technique except their initial torque distribution is opposite the RX300. BMW has approximately 70% to the rear initially.
    We won't beat you up, because it's true as you saw it. Unlike other discussion boards, we rely on facts and intellectual debate, not posturing and name calling (check out some of the other discussions).

Having said that, the inclined ramp test with the spinning rollers will only be encountered in real life if you do any type of serious off-roading. Hence look at the 5 vehicles listed that can do this. Quadradrive is one of the best consumer 4WD systems out there, but it does nothing for vehicle stability at highway speeds. And that's where the AWD RX300 excels.

Another point is that MB did a similar test but they used a pre-2001 RX300 which is really stacking the deck. Maybe BMW did the same thing.

Again, all BMW did was demonstrate a situation where the RX300 won't get you "unstuck", standing still going onto a rigged ramp with minimal forward momentum. But guess what? I'll never be taking my $40k vehicle into a situation like that (offroad, up an incline with serious ruts so that wheels lose contact) and I bet many BMW owners will never do the same with their $50K vehicle.

All in all, the X5 will indeed outhandle the RX300, it has the same stabilty control systems as the RX and is highly optimized for sport handling. But a similarly configured X5 will cost $9000 more than a RX300 and have less cargo space. Both are 2 of the safest SUVs out there. Lexus is #1 in reliability and customer satisfaction. So in the end it really comes down to what's important to you, what you are willing to pay and what you are willing to give up.
    I cannot defend Lexus to that level.

When I bought my 2000 RX300 I did so with some reluctance. I had owned two Jeeps previsouly, I realized going into the purchase of the RX that it would never stand up to the standards of my Jeep experiences. The only BMW choice was the HUGE engine and the MB320(?) was clearly too cheaply put together. I did order the optional limited slip. Why was it optional?

Anyway, the MDX will be a major contenter with VSC, Trac, and HID.
    AS far as NOT taking my 2001 RX300 AWD "THERE", it can get THERE simply setting in my driveway.

THERE: No forward momentum, sitting on a layer of ice, on top of which is several inches of snow.

You do not need to go OFF-ROAD, to have off-road like experiences, at least not here in the GREAT Pacific Northwest.
    I'm not sure I'm getting some of your points. I would never compare a RX300 to a Jeep in terms of off-road worthiness, the Jeep wins. But again, for my needs this short-coming is not a factor because I don't plan on taking my $40K vehicle off-road. If I need to do any serious off roading I'll just invest in a used Jeep and not worry about the brush scratching my paint job.

With regards to "No forward momentum, sitting on a layer of ice, on top of which is several inches of snow" I'll bet you that a good set of dedicated winter tires will get you out of that situation. There will be some friction to work with. The BMW roller test is set up to give an advantage to a vehicle that can operate with only one will on the ground (Quadradrive), Lexus never advertised or claimed it could do this.

In the end, I got exactly what I wanted in a vehicle, pluses, minuses and all. Sounds like you have some regrets?
  • lacarguylacarguy Member Posts: 9
    I have a question. I wanted to purchase a 01' RX300. But I wanted to buy a black one. Does anyone know if I can get that with the black leather interior instead of the tan. I think it looks better and would be easier to keep clean. I want to keep my RX for at least 8 years.

Thanks for your suggestions and comments. I have learned so much from the other RX300 owners by reading this board.
    Yes, you should be able to order a black/black 2001. Previous years only had the tan leather.

You might also want to look at the black/black Silver Sport Edition.
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    When I was shopping for an RX 300 I happened to ask about this, and the salesguy at the dealerhip I went to said that the all-black models are available, but they were very tough to get. Not sure if this is a nationwide thing or not, but at least at his dealership this color scheme has sold out very quickly, and so he said that you had to special order one if this is what you wanted.
    Yes, I regret that after Chrysler bought Jeep they immediately started DEGRADING, rather than improving it. I would much rather own a vehicle that has a few shortcomings in comparison to the Jeep, expecially when it is Lexus, a forward looking automotive company, rather than one looking for a cheap exit strategy.

Regrets about the 2001 RX300 AWD, only two, really, so far. Both rather minor!

The Nav/(HVAC)display system has too many software BUGS and lacks good human engineering aspects, and Lexus should spend some time figuring out how the heat & A/C system is really used, and can be made useful (cooled moist airflow to defog and/or demist a windshield?), before designing an automatic one.

Most climate control systems, in defog mode, first pass the airflow through the A/C evaporator to cool it below dewpoint to extract most of the moisture, then through the heater core to rise its temperature and further decrease its relative humidity. Note that depending on climatic conditions, the airflow leaving the evaporator core may have only been reduced in temperature to very near its dewpoint, having not lost any of its moisture content at all, and now being very close to the saturation point.

Lexus allows much of this cool airflow with a relatively HIGH humidity to BYPASS the heater core on the way to the (COLD!?) interior windshield surface, a recipe for disaster if ever there was one.

My driveway is paved, aggregate, and flat. A 1992 Jeep in AWD with four CHAINS would not move out of its own ruts until I shifted it into 4WD. I still to this day don't understand why AWD wouldn't do the trick and 4WD did. Oh, Jeeps don't come equipped with STREET tires.

This was the winter of 95, it had snowed, melted, rained, froze, and then snowed again. Repeat the previous sequence about three times and you have an idea what my driveway was like after almost a week with my Jeep just setting there and me inside by a cozy fire.

Mother nature oftentimes CREATES off-road conditions if one just sits and waits.

I don't know if my RX300 will do any better, or even as good, as did the Jeep, but I do believe in buying all of the insurance I can get.

Life is a trial of balancing needs and wants, Yes, the Jeep would likely outperform the RX in adverse weather conditions, but it will NEVER be as reliable, comfortable, nor as roomy, individually, as the RX.

Can I also add just plain Beautiful?
  • jeffmust2jeffmust2 Member Posts: 811
    We took delivery of a black-over-black Nav '01 RX in December; at that time, there were only two the same color in all of CA (probably Lexus' biggest market).

And instead of a two-minute trip, one mile up the road, to our local Lexus dealer, we had to drive about 190 miles RT into the desert (Riverside).

So it's available, with and without Nav, in FWD or AWD. Good luck hunting - it's a great color for that body style.

Now we have to add the 44-piece wood dash kit, chrome muffler extensions, chrome fender flares, Multi-Meter Command Center, and Fuel Cell (just kidding - private joke for Tonychrys!).

Jeff
    "The Nav/(HVAC)display system has too many software BUGS and lacks good human engineering aspects,"

I couldn't agree more, and this was almost a show-stopper for me when I first saw the LCD display. This is definitely a sore point of the vehicle, considering that most everything else is near perfect. The fact that you can't simply step through your FM presets by hitting the FM button on the radio console is beyond me. It would save the user the trouble of switching to the Audio LCD screen while driving.

If they had just put damn steering wheel mounted radio controls on the RX I would have my "perfect" vehicle. Maybe next time.
  • lacarguylacarguy Member Posts: 9
    Thanks jeffmust2 and everyone else who provided some info about the RX in black/black combo. I live in LA, so hopefully I can find one without nav and fwd in the next couple of months.
    Lacarguy -

You never know; perhaps lighting does strike twice. Of course, in L.A., that would require too many megawatts!!

Try Cory Williams at Lexus of Riverside - they're an Elite dealership and Cory did very well for us. It's a drive, but in this case it was worth it.

And you get a free calendar with a digital photo of you (with friend or spouse) taking delivery.

Hey, for the price, they should supply the friend!

Tell Cory that Jeff Must sent you - good luck.

JM
  • losthat1losthat1 Member Posts: 93
    Hope you drink your Starbucks black Jeff!

Wow, a free photo! Why don't you post it on this site!
  • dsa420dsa420 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 Rx that I bought brand new in TX last year. At this dealership, all repairs and services were covered for 30k miles. Unfortunately, I moved to the SF bay area, where I found that I would basically have to pay for evey service that the car required. I am coming up on my 15k service, and I have been told that this service will cost around $500. When hearing the list of services that will be performed, this price seemed ridiculous. I called my Tx. dealership, and they only charge $285 for the same thing. Is this service really something that needs to be done at a Lexus dealership? Any advice would help, as getting the service done elsewhere would save of money!!
    The 2001 AWD T&C MiniVan doesn't have VSC, Trac, nor HID, but it does have steering wheel mounted radio controls.

If the T&C added VSC, Trac, and HID, would you buy one?
  • dsa420dsa420 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 Rx that I bought brand new in TX last year. At this dealership, all repairs and services were covered for 30k miles. Unfortunately, I moved to the SF bay area, where I found that I would basically have to pay for evey service that the car required. I am coming up on my 15k service, and I have been told that this service will cost around $500. When hearing the list of services that will be performed, this price seemed ridiculous. I called my Tx. dealership, and they only charge $285 for the same thing. Is this service really something that needs to be done at a Lexus dealership? Any advice would help, as getting the service done elsewhere would save of money!!
    I had the same problem with my Pontiac recently. All that is stated in the owners manual is to "change the oil and rotate the tires" at 15K, should have cost $60 according to dealer's published prices ($30 oil change/$30 rotation). Well, guess what? Dealer service departments don't make much money just doing "what's in the manual", so they invent their own maintence procedures for higher revenues. They'll do things that aren't necessarily required by the manufacturer just to give you a higher bill. I sent my wife to do the 15K service on the Pontiac and she came home with a $230 bill... I nearly hit the roof! They changed all kinds of fluids that weren't required at that service interval.

The problem is that manufacturers are producing cars that can go longer with less intensive maintenance than in the past. You still have to change your oil and inspect the vehicle, but not much else until you rack up the miles. This is a disaster to the dealers who get a large part of their income from the service end of the business, NOT new car sales as most people think. In fact, I know dealers who will take a loss on a car sale if they think they can make it up on the service end.

Before you take it in for service, have the service advisor print you out a sheet of what's being done for the money at that service interval. If it doesn't match what's in your owners manual, then request it doesn't get done. Your warranty only obligates you to do what's in the manual.

It's your choice.
    Regardless of what any dealer says, DO NOT allow them to classify your vehicle as ROUGH service (unless you really do tow a trailer, etc, etc.) when it comes time to have any vehicle serviced.

I put over 250 thousand miles on two Ford Squire station wagons without ever changing out or refilling the rear differential. I did replace both automatic transmissions because the clutches were worn out, but I never drained and refilled any of the four transissions nor replaced their filters.

My 1992 Lexus LS400 has had the engine oil & filter changed out every 4,000 miles, only once by the Lexus dealer, and ONE oxygen sensor replaced since new.

Most of what they want to do other than oil change and filter(S) at any service less than 50-60K (rubber timing belt) is needless.

Engine lubricating oil is designed/formulated to maintain foreign materials in SUSPENSION, so they will be removed from circulation when the oil is drained.

Every automatic transmission I have ever over-hauled (3, maybe 4?) had a 1/4" or more of "sludge" (clutch facing material) in the pan. Transmission oil, hydraulic fluid, if not over-heated, will last forever.

I have heard that the Boeing 737 has no scheduled change-out of the fluid in its numerous hydraulically operated systems.
    The latest edition of "Inside Lexus" is online now.

The SilverSport is on the cover and there is a great letter to the editor about a RX300 owner that survived a collision and rollover.

• cas5cas5 Member Posts: 8
    #1267. Can you tell me which dealership you used and whether or not you had to haggle a lot?
    SmallHat1 -

No, I'm NOT going to post my Lexus calendar photo and for a very good reason.

Don't you just hate when this happens to you?

My girlfriend was with me that particular weekend and had just finished her cover photo shoot for Sports Illustrated's swimsuit edition and...well, my wife is getting more and more touchy as she gets older. You know how there's just no reasoning with some people.

But you'll be pleased to hear that I did autograph several copies of the calendar photo for all the older salesman at the dealership; for some reason, I'm like a God to them now.

But thanks for asking.

Jeff
  • sybelesybele Member Posts: 42
    Does anybody know where can I get a set of rear seat covers at a decent price? My local dealer is trying to reap me off!
    Let's see, Lexus, DEALER, RIP-off, isn't there some sort of flow to this?

Don't buy accessories from ANY car dealer, including (especially) Lexus. Look around for what you want, with pricing, on the internet first.
  • parnolaparnola Member Posts: 141
    Interesting about the reported scarcity of black on black - when we got our '01 AWD RX in October our local dealer (Dayton, OH - not exactly a big market by any standards) had two B on B available. I've since seen several on the lot there.
  • adpcsadpcs Member Posts: 59
    I bought the car from Westside Lexus. I basically went in with a price, they came back with their's and the deal was done. They had to get the car from another dealership in town, but that was no problem. E-mail me if you have any more specific questions...
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    FYI, when MB was running the Powertrip, the '01 RX300s were not even out yet. In fact, it would've been a few months before the '01s were available, hence the reason why they didn't/couldn't use one for their demos. Although a vehicle may be equipped with stability control, its setup can be very different from another stability system equiped vehicle. For example, BMW's DSC allows for a bit more play than MB's system, presumably because BMW feels that their drivers may wish to have a bit more "fun". Other than these software tweaks, MB's and BMW's systems are the same physically.

I'm not sure which company manufacturers Toyota's VSC, but you can bet that it has different characteristics than either MB's or BMW's.

Good luck...

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • r22549r22549 Member Posts: 42
    MSRP 40601....Will lease for 524 , total payment 2933...3/36 lease....will sell for 38k....I live in CT....
    Honestly, I don't know because I've never driven one. But if it had all the safety advantages, luxury, reliability, customer service, power and handling as a RX300, sure I would definitely consider it. I'd be a fool not to.

But then again, it's made by Chrysler....
    MAY BE off subject, but then maybe NOT.

A fellow employee has a 99 Olds Alero that was bought second hand from a rental agency. Yesterday morning he noticed that one of the tires seemed somewhat low so he pumped it up slightly. Within a block or so a warning light came on on the dash indicating "low tire pressure". He went back to the station and inflated all three of the other tires equal to the other one.

An ALERO with tire pressure detection. Maybe, it was a rental car...

After some discussion around the water fountain and considering the circumsatnces under which this all happened we concluded that OLDs must be computing the possiblity of low tire pressure by checking the differential rotation rate using the ABS sensors. Clever, Huh? (if true)

But I am hesitant to believe that an alero came from the factory with actual tire pressure sensors!

Running the RX AWD with differential rotation rates front to rear for an extended period would damage the viscous clutch beyond repair, Do you suppose Lexus might use this technique somewhere down the road?
    "But I am hesitant to believe that an alero came from the factory with actual tire pressure sensors!"

Guess what? It does. I have a '99 Pontiac Grand Am SE2 sedan, which is the sister car to the Olds Alero. And yes, I have tire pressure detection.

I'm not really sure how it works, never looked into it. Just an FYI, they do make aftermarket units which mount in your wheels that run on small watch batteries. They then transmit a signal to a small reciever. These things actually messure true tire pressure.
  • kimwipeskimwipes Member Posts: 21
    I'd like to give my thanks to everyone who has posted here. Very useful information. Using this info I was able to get my RX300 Premium value package for 36300 (MSRP 40120, Invoice ~35800).
    This was lexus of portland (OR).
    Congrats on the new Rex, that's great price you got on a great vehicle!

Stick around and enjoy the ride.
    Quick follow up, then I'm done with this subject. I did a little checking (curiosity always gets the better of me) and there are no actual sensors on the tires. Since traction control is on this car it must use the same ABS sensors to monitor the wheel rotational differences. It has to take readings over a sufficient distance so as to not confuse traction loss on a wheel with tire diameter changes.