Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 300

Comments

• nnylajnnylaj Member Posts: 2
    What is a good price for a 2001 Silversport with 2,700 demo miles with HID lamps, spoiler, and heated seats?
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    Perhaps an RX owner can answer this...does the RX300 have any more interior room than your current A6?

I suspect that, except for the hump, you won't get a significant gain in space without moving into a larger SUV (MDX, Montero, etc.)
  • drummerboydrummerboy Member Posts: 30
    Hi Kelso,
    Fedlawman is right. I don't think the RX will offer much more room than your Audi A6. Out of all the mid-size luxury SUVs, only MDX will offer a significant increase in cargo room.
    Personally, I chose the RX over X5 and MDX because it has the most luxurious interior, high safety ratings, and customized-looking clear back lights =) I needed to transfer 2 12-inch subwoofers from my old car into my new car, so MDX's 3rd row of seats were useless to me. All three of these cars are great choices. If I needed more space, I'd go with the MDX. However, you'd have to bear with the Acura interior (cheap looking in my opinion), and a mini-van rear end. Have fun test-driving!
  • rmorermore Member Posts: 1
    Steve (scsrcs),
    I have driven a '99 RX300 for over 40,000 miles and I'd describe its acceleration as adequate, but this all depends on your perspective. If you are used to driving sportier vehicles with a better power/weight ratio, then the RX300 may seem a bit sluggish. I think 0-60 times are more relevant than 0-30 since you'd better be somewhere in the vicinity of 60 mph when you enter most highways. The RX300's 0-60 time is in the high 8's to just around 9 seconds. This is better than many sport utes with 6 cylinder engines, but not quite as quick as some V-8s and some more recent designs (i.e. Acura MDX, BMW X-5 3.0). Then again, the RX300 will get slightly better gas mileage and mine is prefectly happy with regular grade fuel. Bottom line: Test drive one and take it out onto the freeway. If you're happy with that, buy one. If significantly quicker acceleration is a high priority you may be better served by another type of vehicle. Good luck.
  • ewl1ewl1 Member Posts: 1
    I have Lexus 2000 and I am very unhappy with the passenger seat. It does not have an angle adjustment and above all - cushion collapsed. Shock absorbers are very loose. Paint cheeps on the edge of the all four doors. Please advise how to deal with the dealer about this.
  • rparis2rparis2 Member Posts: 46
    I had the same problem as you-a careless person slamming a door into my new Rx. I paid $90 for the paintless wizard dent removal and am very very pleased. It took about thirty minutes and unless I really really look, I cannot tell where the vehicle was damaged. I recommend it.
  • kmhkmh Member Posts: 143
    Thanks for your recommendation! I'll probably take it to a local Dent Wizard soon...

Now if I can only find a way to keep from attracting door flinging fools... ;-)
  • pbk77pbk77 Member Posts: 23
    I own a 2000 RX300 and noticed leather cracks on the driver's side seats. I heard from someone on another web forum that the seats can be replaced under warranty. Does anyone one else have this problem? If so, how did you resolve it? Or are the leather cracks considered normal "wear & tear". I'll ask the dealer on my next visit, but would appreciate any input from any of you.
  • bcjacob1bcjacob1 Member Posts: 39
    If you guys can figure out how to do this, let me know. None of the audio places in Va. can figure it out. Of course, the dealership doesn't have a clue.
  • rexxyrexxy Member Posts: 1
    pbk77,
    A friend of mine has 2000 RX300 with about 12k miles. He had his leather cracked twice already.
    Each time he brought the car to the dealer and they fixed it somehow at no extra charge. The first crack was at front seat. You can see that something was done to it. The second crack was on the rear seat and you can not tell it was cracked. Hope it helps.
  • jcopjcop Member Posts: 2
    After a few weeks of negotiating during the Lexus "Golden Opportunity" promotion, I closed the deal and took delivery on the Friday before Labor Day of a 2001 RX 300, premium package, spoiler, HD headlights, wood\leather steering wheel, AWD, no NAV (I use it for commuting to work) or hitch for $36,400 plus tax. (All the vehicles at the dealer were similarly equipped for the Northeast). I figure it's a couple hundred over invoice and they were looking to close out their promotion by removing one more Rex from their lot (green (gray?) opalescence). If you're not happy with this car, you're spoiled. Drives beautifully, great sound system (six disk changer, in glove box...so what, that's good not bad) and rides high to avoid panic stops in traffic. Great interior and leather seats. Traded in a '92 Camry with 103,000 (got $4,000), so I'm familiar with the Toyota vehicles, but the RX is night and day from the Camry. The saleman said this was a three "C's" car (because I got such a good price on it)...See the car....see the keys...see ya later... Said his uncle paid more than I did. Hoffman of East Hartford were very good to work with and reasonable in their negotiations. I couldn't be happer with this new "toy". Just about everything is perfect. Quiet luxury with great visibility and headroom (I'm 6'3''). Moonroof not overly "loud" when open, plenty of space in the glove box, not a huge SUV, but I've got a Honda Odyssey to handle the kids, dog and big loads. I didn't want a "hauler", I wanted a luxury car half way between a full SUV and a car...and that's what I got. With no major improvements or colors in 2002 I decided to work a deal now. Couldn't be happier. Probably won't post onto this website again because once you get the car you couldn't care less about "sludge" problems or "popping" moonroofs. I'm positive this vehicle will last me well into the year 2010+ in absolute comfort. Congratulations new Rex owners because I know you're as happy as I am.
  • markfallenmarkfallen Member Posts: 8
    If you live in the Bay Area of No. Calif., and are in need of semi-new Goodyear replacement tires for your RX300, drop me a line. I've got four with only 12k miles on them -- in great condition.

Mark at markandpatti@yahoo.com
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Please, no soliciting on Town Hall. Try eBay.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• spakcharspakchar Member Posts: 37
    When I first got my RX I thought it was a little sluggish. About that time a friend of mine who has a 2000 was telling how much he liked his, one of the attributes he listed was that it was "quick". I remember snickering a little when he said that. I'm not laughing anymore, after about 5k miles or so my RX did seem to get quicker. In fact between 70-90mph, the most important speed range IMO, it's downright fast. Especially for an SUV.
  • tariktarik Member Posts: 344
    I don't know if I'm losing it (hmmm), but ever since the last service visit, our Rex seems to guzzle more. Driving habits have not changed, nor have the conditions. Right now, it only returns about 18.1-18.3mpg as opposed to 19-19.5 before the appointment at my friendly ripper-offer. Only thing to be different in the meantime is that my wife tried the trans control on "Sport" for one tank full, gaining a certain nervousness in gear changes and ending up getting 17.5mpg.

Has anyone experienced anything like that or am I dreaming (gl, gl, gl)?

Questioning his (or maybe HER) sanity Tarik
  • tonychrystonychrys Member Posts: 1,310
    ...never, ever, ever question HER sanity. It must be you. It's always the man. Or at least that's what she tells me.

A well trained TC
  • izabelajohnizabelajohn Member Posts: 38
    Tarik,
    did the dealer rotate tires etc.? Check the tire pressure. I had an incident during my first oil change where the dealer did something wrong and the air pressure in two of my tires was very low (I described the whole incident in a post last year). This had an immediate impact on the fuel consumption.
    If that is not the culprit, then I suspect you are loosing it :)
    TC, you sound like a VERY smart man (question on hand is: voluntarily or not?). Got his bicycle yesterday - happy little man. We were off to his second year of pre-school this morning - he was happy to be back, and so were we...

Izabela, I wasn't aware that differences in tire pressure could have such a noticable effect on gas mileage - will check pressure right now, thanks for the pointer. I also appreciate your honest and public assessment of my mental stage... ;-P

Off to checking pressure and impressing boss of private life with vast knowledge of cars Tarik
    Tire pressure is between 32 and 34 lbs, I can't see this to be enough of a reason for increased fuel consumption. What else in the world could those factory trained technicians have done wrong?

Wonder if our local MB service is as questionable, too...

Not in good standing with wife any more Tarik
    When did you notice the change again? One thing that is notorious for this is when the gas companies change over from winter to warm weather formulations. Yes, there is a difference between the oxygenated and non-oxy formulas. The changeover usually happens in the spring. Have you tried different brands or octanes?

I won't let Tarik get commited to the institution TC
  • imanojimanoj Member Posts: 2
    would any one please advice me whether I should take the Magna Plus package for painting and leather protection ? I am novice in this field and value your opinion highly.
  • gdanczykgdanczyk Member Posts: 26
    I'm assuming that you reset your MPG on the computer? Otherwise, it is still averaging in the 17.5 MPG when you had it in Sport mode.
  • gs3_4megs3_4me Member Posts: 9
    Hello everyone,

I have a bit of a "dilemma" if you will, and have been back and forth on this issues too many times...

My girlfriend is looking to get a new car as she is selling her current Jeep GC this Saturday, getting much more than she would have if she traded it in. I'm a bit biased and told her to look at a CPO 1999 RX300, b/c her budget (tops) is $29,000. We found a Black AWD with 27K miles Certified, and can get it for around that price.

However, we also looked at a 2001 Highlander, un-limited (w/out leather, 6 cd, auto climate) but fairly loaded with keyless entry, power seats, moonroof, small center console. She actually does not care to have leather in her car and can get the cloth in the HL, but will settle for leather if she gets the Lexus. We could most likely get at least $2,000 knocked off the sticker on the Higlander, putting it at $27,500.

Knowing this is an RX forum, I would assume everyone would pick the RX, but given that it is a Toyota, same chassis, same engine, etc, it's a similar vehicle.

Which road do you think she should take????? RX or HL? Thanks in advance for any advice you may have.
    I personally don't like the '99 RXs. There's little minor cosmetic things and missing features that you can get on the 01's.

Also, if saftey is a concern, the '99s didn't have VSC and you get VSC on the HLs.

What about resale? Is she going to drive it into the ground? The '99s are going to take a severe value hit after the 2003s come out. Actually, there are so many damn RXs on the road now you should be able to do better than $29k on a '99, I'd haggle. They still have 01's sitting on the lots.
    TC, I noticed about four weeks ago, right after the last service appointment (22.500mls). The gas is still the same, and it's always 87 oct. Maybe we should try a whole different brand?

gdanczyk, which computer??? Just kidding, I reset the averag-o-meter after every trip to the gas station. I even reset it while on the interstate, as to cheat a little, but the reading went right back to the now-lower-than-before value.

gs3_4me, you crack me up when you say ...get the cloth in the HL, but will settle for leather if she gets the Lexus.... In good, ole boy slang: We don't want nobody to "settle" for no d$%# Lex, if them cloth seats she prefers, the Thoyodah it is!

Now I feel better ;->, TC said it all. BTW, my Rex is a '99, and I had just started to consider you a soulmate...

Grinning from one ear to the other Tarik
    I dislike every '99 except yours, didn't I say that?

Friends again?

Besides the price/features, there is the intangibles. We took our Rex in for minor warranty work (the coating on the front crossbar accessory started to peel) Tuesday. They had the part in stock and it would only take 10 minutes to change out. But because the service area had a delayed opening that morning, they put us in another RX and told us to have fun. We did what we needed to do that day and came later when we were good and ready. And we didn't buy our car at this dealer. I has to listen to my 4yo saying, "Daddy, this isn't our truck. Ours is cleaner."

So service/support is another thing to consider between a HL vs. a RX.

Starting to think about a new ES300 or IS300 TC
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    If the HL were a 99 like the RX the HL would still be of more value, since it is a 2001 it is DEFINITELY a better buy. Buy the HL for its newer technology.
  • gimpyrxgimpyrx Member Posts: 198
    Just checking,I have a bad case of sludge,my oil sample shows glycol/water in the oil, 44,000 miles on 1999 rx300.
    Keep your eyes open.
    A sign for me,it was very sluggish.
    Smoke on start up.
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    Have you gotten a diagnosis yet? How did this happen? I assume since you are under 50,000 miles it would be covered by the warranty.
  • drummerboydrummerboy Member Posts: 30
    Just like Tony, the fact that the '99 RX has an out-dated look compared to the '01 really bothers me. Personally, I would definitely go for the Highlander because it's a brand new car. If you are gettin the '99 RX, I'm sure you can knock off a few grand off of that $29,000 price they're quoting you!
  • mooretorquemooretorque Member Posts: 241
    Imanoj, basically you can consider ANY paint/interior protection package from a dealer as a wad of crud designed primarily to seperate you from a few hundred bucks. Long ago Honda dealers here used to "offer" a paint and interior protection package which basically consisted of Scotchgard and a silicon polymer wax job. It cost them about $20 including labor. However, the charge was $400. Pretty good margins, there. This , BTW, was in 1988, so that was a slightly bigger chunk of change then than now.

TC, I'm disappointed to hear about the "dated" look of the '99; since it's my wife's car, I'll let you tell her. Me, I've got a case of OC/NC ("old codger/new car) tooling around in my 01 GS and so am immune to such accusations for now. No sludge in hers yet, Gimpyrx, tho I've been keeping an eye on the board (and her dipstick....I mean, her car's dipstick). Keep us informed; over on the sludge board, there is much hollering about Toyota/Lexus trying to duck the warranty issue on this one. Very troubling.

GS3, I agree with the chorus above; get the new HL, at least if the Lexus dealer won't come off several thousand on the 99.....they've got plenty of 01s nailed to the floor currently and 29K is a bit much, esp for such a dated looking vehicle. ;)

Actually, I'm feeling a little dated myself so I think I'll go take my medicine now.........
    If I had a GS430 to tool around in, you could call my dog outdated and I wouldn't care. ;-)

A very jealous TC
    It's Friday, so I have to gloat. Was on the Garden State Parkway this morning when I saw one of those hideous AzzSchmecks in my rearview mirror. I could tell he was trying to catch up. So I kept upping the speed. I eventually got bored, floored the gas and left him in the dust. hehehe. The thing was so ugly I just had to get away to keep from damaging my eyes.

Eventually they'll figure out that 185hp is underpowered for vehicle that weighs over 2 tons. Maybe not.
  • sentrafansentrafan Member Posts: 40
    Hello,

Comparing the engine specs for the Highlander and the RX 300, they appear to be identical. Yet, the RX 300 requires premium fuel, while the Highlander only requires regular. Could someone tell me the reason for this? Are the compression ratios different, for example?

Thanks.
  • jiaminjiamin Member Posts: 556
    My 2000 RX300 FWD manual says to select 87 and above. It does not say premium fuel has to be selected, but only for improved performance.
    Who told you that the RX requires premium fuel? They are wrong. The manual says that premium fuel can be a good thing, but 87 octane or higher is required.
  • sentrafansentrafan Member Posts: 40
    Straight from the Edmunds site:

Lexus RX 300
    Mechanical Features
    Engine:
    3.0L displacement
    Double overhead cam (DOHC)
    V6 cylinder configuration
    Gas engine
    24 valves
    variable valve timing
    220 hp @ 5800 rpm
    222 ft-lbs. @ 4400 rpm
    premium unleaded fuel

Toyota Highlander
    Mechanical Features
    Engine:
    3.0L displacement
    Double overhead cam (DOHC)
    V6 cylinder configuration
    Gas engine
    24 valves
    variable valve timing
    220 hp @ 5800 rpm
    222 ft-lbs. @ 4400 rpm
    regular unleaded fuel
    ...Edmunds is wrong. And they've been wrong on many so called "factual data." I've pressed their editors on this but never get more than a form letter response. There's no fact checking, especially on the rebates and incentives. They simply buy their "data" from a third party and assume it's correct.
  • lpahummerlpahummer Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my RX-300 since the manual said it was dingy-towable. Mine started shifting rough after only 1500 miles of being towed. ( Like the manual said I started the engine every 200 miles). I had only 7000 miles on my 2001. My dealership said they could not find any problem with the transmission after having it for 10 days. Guess what, I have heard of several other people having transmission problems after towing and now the current issue of Motorhome magazine has several letters from people with the same problems. The magazine states that the 2002 owners manual will say the RX-300 is not dingy-towable. I like my new X5 4.4i much better!!!
  • kmhkmh Member Posts: 143
    I wanted to followup on my experience with Dent Wizards in San Antonio.

In a word: INCREDIBLE!

I was astounded by the before and after of the work. If anyone is still uncertain or on the fence, I hope this will help. The work they did on my '99 RX was for a quarter-sized door ding from an inconsiderate moron... Dent Wizards has allowed me to forgive (for now). :-)

Thanks to everyone who offered their recommendations and advice!

Before:

After:

One word: WOW!

Very nice.
    Maybe the editors got this info from lexuscanada.... Some sites say 92 octane is recommended. Maybe you can scan your owner's manual and email that to the eds. Lexus just signed an ad deal here, so maybe their ads will explain all :-)

Edmunds does most of its own data providing now too, btw.

Steve
    Host

• ravlravl Member Posts: 129
    Until they produced the '01s. I liked the '01s until they produced the Silversport. Have I mentioned how much I love my black Silversport? ;)
    I see you 'regular' Rexus drivers jockn' my SS.... ;))
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    Please tell me what dingy-towable means.
    There is big difference between recommended and required. Some high compression engines (I think MB) do in fact require premium or the warranty will be voided due to extended use of non-premium.

When I was shopping for a car earlier in the year, I found numerous discrepancies regarding incentives and rebates on Edmunds. When I emailed the eds, I was told the data on this was bought from a third party and wasn't "manually" verified. I guess if you could take the time to verify the data, then why buy it to begin with?
    Well, tell 'em again or email me the stuff and I'll try to get someone's attention.

Steve
    Host

• godeacsgodeacs Member Posts: 481
    FWIW, I noticed several errors on their site too. Filled out the form and submitted and NEVER got a reply!....
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Just went to Lexus to buy replacement A/C filters.
    $90 for two, one for the Rx and one for the GS. Asked my saleman howcum and he says filter material is expensive because it traps pollen.

Not sure but I think my furnace filter is the same material, maybe exactly the same, $8 for a 24x30" filter....

Off to home depot and borrow Mom's sissors.
  • gs3_4megs3_4me Member Posts: 9
    Thanks everyone for their input thus far... we're going to go look at 2 more certified RXs as well as a 2001 black Highlander. The more I see the HL, the more I like it.

A few of you have mentioned you think $29K is too high for a certified, 28,000 mile RX300 AWD. That's down from the $30,000 they originally offered (from $33,000)... what do you think is a fair price?
  • trmgatrmga Member Posts: 50
    My 4 wheel drive RX is about 6 months old with 9K miles on it. Have done lots of travelling up and down east coast without any problem. This week I drove from eastern Va to the mountainous areas of western Va. On a long, uphill stretch of I-64 approaching Staunton, VA I started to notice a strange smell as I started up into the mountainous terrain on the interstate. Was travelling about 60 to 70 mph and riding up a rather steep incline for about 5-6 miles. The smell was similar to the unpleasant odor you get when you pass a ladies beauty shop where someone is getting a permanent. Smell disappeared when I started down other side of mountain. Reappeared on another long, uphill stretch. Never had this kind of smell before in any car. Wondering if any of you have ever experienced this and if anyone has any idea what might be causing it. Transmission fluid, viscous fluid, etc.? Hoping I can get some ideas here before I take it to the dealership weenies. Thanks in advance for any ideas on this one.