Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 300

Comments

• dr_suvdr_suv Member Posts: 12
    I had a minor fender bender last week(Couple of scratches on the bumper and the little red reflector cracked). Anyone know where I can get the little red reflector on the lower bumper. I have a great excuse to Monotone Paint my Rx now !!!

FYI for potential buyers
    I have had my 2000 for over a year (Just 9500 miles on it, it is still the weekend baby) and I have to say that the ride and acceleration has improved greatly over time. It has stiffended up a bit and has a bit more kick. Anyone looking to buy an RX, it seems that it just takes some time to "get sporty".
  • gimpyrxgimpyrx Member Posts: 198
    :(
  • dubinonosdubinonos Member Posts: 3
    I am considering seriously purchasing an RX sometime in April and do a lot of investigating now. CR says that the RX turning circle is pretty wide and they even emphasize that as a "con". Is that really a problem? Does it cause any inconveniences when parking or backing up? Any input would be appreciated!
  • jiaminjiamin Member Posts: 556
    I have 2000 RX300 FWD. I know it's turning circle is wider than my Maxima, however in most cases if I prepare a little early and carefully before I make a turn, I feel OK with it. My wife is driving it everyday and I haven't heard any complaint about its turning circle.
  • jeffmust2jeffmust2 Member Posts: 811
    As to whether this is a problem, depends on your marriage.

My wife has driven her 2001 RX since last December, has 14k miles on it, and, the last time I saw her, she started to make her first left turn.

Of course, that was last December.
  • dardson1dardson1 Member Posts: 696
    I have a Sienna and according to Edmunds it has a 40ft turning circle....the RX300 41.5. It is not a serious problem in my Sienna although I definately notice I often have to back up to manage a tight parking space. Is this a function of FWD or what? Seems like my old Expedition could turn shorter than my minivan.
  • mrrogersmrrogers Member Posts: 391
    Over at www.clublexus.com, there is an entry on 9/25 in the RX300 section concerning an owner who took his car to the dealer for an oil change. Supposedly he was told that they automatically add an MOC oil additive because of possible sludge problem that arises with repeated short trips when the engine doesn't heat up enough. Any comments?
  • izabelajohnizabelajohn Member Posts: 38
    I have had my 2000RX since May 2000 and the turning circle is noticeably wide. However, after a few weeks of driving it you learn to live with it. It does require a bit more maneuvering than I would like but as I said you can get used to it and learn to compensate for it by starting your turns a little earlier and or taking wider turns.
  • tariktarik Member Posts: 344
    The turning circle of the Rex is ludicrous, to say the least.

What counts, is that my wife (who drives the Rex) explained to me that I just needed to adapt my driving style - or the moment I start to steer. It all has to do with complacency. She has no complaints about that at all, FWIW.

Tarik
  • tonychrystonychrys Member Posts: 1,310
    Jeff, saw your wife last week in NY, in the left turn lane by our house. She said everything is fine and sends her love.

Once she hits the beach by our house she'll have to make another left and head back towards Cali. She should be home before Thanksgiving this time since she knows all the highways with left turn lanes.

Hang in there buddy.
  • dubinonosdubinonos Member Posts: 3
    As I understand, this problem does not go unnoticed...Have to drive the RX one more time and see if I can live with this. I shouldn't tell my wife about this, she is already very suspicious about SUV's, and she will try to convince me to get a station vagon. But I have a very wide turning radius myself, so...It won't be easy to turn me around.
    The less a woman knows, the better, right?
    Anyway, thanks a lot for your responces.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    A tighter turning radius would probably increase the number of RX rollovers, so maybe wider IS better.
    The RX300 is a versatile vehicle and means different things to different people. Many have described it as a "jacked up Camry station wagon", so if that's the type of vehicle she's leaning for, then who are you to argue. Tell her what she wants to hear

BTW, when we were SUV shopping, my wife wanted nothing to do with the RX300/Lexus. She said many things to me, "It's too expensive... it's too snooty... why pay all that extra money for a vehicle..."

I sent her one day to go test drive it by herself while I was at work. I came home that night and the first words out of her mouth were: "We must have this vehicle."

The rest is history as they say.
  • mvs1mvs1 Member Posts: 462
    dubinonos, if your considering purchasing in April around that time a completely redesigned RX300 should be available (Although many on this board don't believe so) the turning radius which is definetly noticeable could be addressed. Almost all vehicles have quirks/design flaws (wwest would agree) although you learn to live with them. You won't be disappointed with this vehicle.

Or in Jeff's case without (hey I saw her hanging out with Elvis last week, don't listen to Tony he's not a reliable source of info!!!)

mooretorque-that one was terrible I'm surprised Drew hasn't kicked you off of the board for that one.

Oh, and who's this grumpyrx guy with the sludge problem. Jeff could it be mmmmm.

Gotta go (get it mooretorque!!)
  • psripsri Member Posts: 6
    I was considering getting a 2001 RX300 (next week) taking advantage of the model year discounts available now.
    Is it true that the 2003 model is exptected to be available in April 2002. If so it might be worth waiting for.
    Also could someone post what are some the significant features of the redesigned 2003 RX.
    No.

They are still working on bringing the Canadian plant that will produce it fully on-line and up to speed.
    NO customer service at all!
    ...it makes sludge and fudge too? Cool! Where's my owner's manual, gotta show the kids!
    The 2002 models are already at dealers and there are no changes.

The redesign is just speculation on my part, due to the fact that the ES300/Camry platform which the RX300 is based is new and at dealers.

Also, Tony the Canadian plant your referring to, is it the only plant that will be producing the RX300? Or simply one of a few. Many manufacturers have multiple facilities that produce the same model.

About this gimpyrx guy, the fact that he owns a Mustang scares me!!!
  • tc_i_amtc_i_am Member Posts: 52
    Michael, I'm pretty sure that all North American Rex's will be produced at the new Canadian plant. Can't speak for the rest of the world, but you raise a good point. They'll probably keep the Japanese plant going for right-drive vehicles for the rest of the world.
  • psripsri Member Posts: 6
    I initially was looking at ML320 but was dicouraged because of the many reliability problems reported in Consumer reports and on the MB forums. I am leaning toward RX since it has been recommended to be a very reliable car with most luxury features (though it's not necessary an off-road vehicle).
    From this forum it seems like sludging is a serious problem with RX. Is a frequently reported problem. And if it shows up what is the fix. Thanks in advance for your advise.
  • bcjacob1bcjacob1 Member Posts: 39
    I live in Richmond, Va. Whenever I try to enter an address and have to select a city, the only "Richmond, Va" city the nav system gives me is something called "Richmond (Wise), Va."

Richmond, Va is nowhere near Wise, Va...about 350 miles apart. What's the deal with this?
  • dardson1dardson1 Member Posts: 696
    I've been trying to decide what to buy, and I've been stand-offish from the RX because I kinda, sorta, need something a little bigger. Considering a Tahoe or Expedition. My wife has an '01 ES300. I hardly ever drive it but took it tonight to do a few chores (forgot why we bought it)...cranked up the stereo, opened the sunroof, and took a joy ride. "Joy" is the key word here. What a car! I wonder exactly what Lexus knows how to do that nobody else can touch? We've had 3 Mercedes, a couple of Volvos, 2 Cadillacs, and a BMW. None come close to the seamless combination of everything a car is supposed to be. It is quick enough to feel "fast", quiet like nothing I've ever driven, with a stereo that sounds good enough to the average guy to be perfect. I'm gonna go drive the RX tomorrow. If it comes close to its sibling, the ES300, I'm gonna buy one.
  • mooretorquemooretorque Member Posts: 241
    dardson1, be sure and take your checkbook. "Seamless" is a very good term that has accurately applied to the Lexus experience from day one, apparently (I missed the first couple of years, not having bought my first until 92). The RX is no exception.

psri, obviously the sludging is a serious problem. What I am not sure of is the frequency with which it has been occuring. Lots of RXs and ESs out there (same motor, same floorpan), not too many reports of sludge with either. I agree it's a scary thought. Personal experience with a 99 RX with 37k and a 94 ES (wife's previous chariot, now owned by HER mother) with 85K: no problems.
    "From this forum it seems like sludging is a serious problem with RX. Is a frequently reported problem."

It's apparent you've done your homework and found the one RX300 reported in this forum from the close to a quarter-million that has been sold so far that has a sludged engine. That analysis alone speaks for itself. Run, don't walk, away from this vehicle!

Have you heard about the Pontiac Aztek? You might want to take a test drive, make sure you wear sunglasses though to protect your eyes.

Happy car shopping!
  • mrrogersmrrogers Member Posts: 391
    I agree with mooretorque that sludge is a serious problem, and we don't know how many RX300's have the problem. I still recommend RX300's to my friends.
    Some thoughts:
    If you want to use the 7,500 mile oil change interval, you may want to consider synthetic oil. If you want to use regular oil, 3,000 to 5,000 miles may be a better interval. There is an entry on the Edmunds Engine Sludge topic in the Maintenance and Repair section that says that some Toyota owners are taking their cars to the dealer for oil changes, paying for regular oil, and the dealer is putting in synthetic oil at the regular oil price.
    Save your oil change receipts.
    Irregardless of whether you have the dealer or an oil change place do the service, check your oil and check that there is a new filter before leaving the service center. Good luck!
  • rxcurerxcure Member Posts: 33
    Consumer Reports rates the RX300 as perhaps the most reliable of the SUVs in this category. They have a somewhat scientific approach to assessing reliability. Listening to a few people who post a lot about sludge problems (including one guy who is upset because he says he got sludge after not changing his oil for 25,000 miles) is not at all scientific.
  • graider100graider100 Member Posts: 1
    I too have heard conflicting reports regarding the introduction date of the remodeled RX 300. Toyota has clearly announced an intention to build the RX in Canada but NOT as its sole production facility (as first time lexus build outside the US - they would never shift all production in one year anyway)

Just had a second child and am in desperate need of more space/3rd row. Current lease up in January 2002 - just placed an order for an MDX. Would love to purchase another RX instead if wait isn't too much longer

Any reputable information would be very much appreciated - I don't want to cross over to the Dark (Acura) side!!!
    If you need a third row, I'd persoanlly get a ML320 instead of an Acura. I'm not knocking the MDX itself, but if you are use to Lexus customer service then the Acura "experience" will be a rude awakening.

Good luck.
    To take this a step further the Camry/Sienna and I believe the Avalon also use the same engine which would mean that there's well over a quarter million vehicles (RX300) which use this engine, taking into account all the Toyota's which share this part (Even though the engine is tuned differently and other variables such as vehicle weight must be considered) The main point is that this engine has been around for awhile. I've also asked personally at 2 separate dealers and none know of this problem. Now common sense should take over a some point and tell you that if your vehicle is properly serviced (i.e. get your oil changed at recommended intervals, not every 25,000 miles) you should be O.K.

And Tony what's the deal with the user name change I thought that the tc_i_am guy was an imposter, scary thought huh!!!
    Well, if a woman can color her hair, I can change my name. I have my reasons. Don't worry, nobody would want to be me!

You point about the 3.0L used in the Rex are dead on. Does sludge happen to any car? Absolutely, but if one maintains the car properly there is an extremely slim chance it would happen to them. Extremely slim. Did I say extremely?
    The 2002 Rex specs are now available at lexus.com.

No changes whatsoever.
    A 500 HP mustang that runs hi 10 second quarter mile passes,and can be driven 40+ miles to work and back.....You should be scared.

BTW,when you are in Atlanta I would be glad to scare the crap out of ya..Just say when....And go do some homework on the 25,000 mile oil,it's nothing new since 1972.

The gimpyrx is my wifes,to slow for me.
  • JOFOJOFO Member Posts: 14
    I am getting close in buying an rx300. I noticed that fog lights are not an option. What aftermarkets fog lights are good for the RX? Also, I'd like to get wider tires for the RX for stability. Are people upgrading their tires with wider tires?

TX.
    First, isn't the Mustang built off of a platform that dates to the late 70s. If I owned one I'd be scared too. Although I'm fairly young and fall into what wwest refers as "teeny boopers" (need for speed/Gone in sixty seconds) 500hp & 0-60 times don't really impress me. I've long outgrown the need for a phallic symbol such as a the "Stang". Oh and I do frequent the Atlanta, I might take you up on that offer.

Homework? (Don't like it, never have, never will), 25,000 mile intervals? I must have missed that class.

Now for you Tony, your not a women and therefore don't have the right to act on a whim and change your name and confuse us, er me??? Although I'd like to refer to the new you as "TC Lite".
  • gsenthilgsenthil Member Posts: 154
    Fog lights are not an option with the RX because they are standard. They are integrated with the headlight assembly instead of their usual place.
    Senthil
  • gsenthilgsenthil Member Posts: 154
    Any place to get cd magazines cheaper than $30 at Lexus dealerships?

Senthil
    True fog lights are usually amber and can be turned on without turning on the headlights. What Lexus likes to refer to as fog lights just simply isn't.

PIAA is probably the best aftermarket option but wiring them will probably be a nightmare.

The best answer for tires is an upgrade to 17x8 wheels, which will require spacers, and tires, Michelin, to match. That's the way I have my 2001 RX300 set up and it seems to work fine.
  • mooretorquemooretorque Member Posts: 241
    Tony, was your name change inspired by "Green Eggs and Ham"? (Sorry, have a 4 and 7 yr old; my daily reading material has taken a few steps backwards in grade level.) Should we expect a new, softer/kinder/gentler Tony (perhaps with 3rd row seating)?

ww, what size tires are you running on your RX? (This is mostly curiousity. SHE WHO KNOWS AND MUST BE OBEYED is unlikely to agree to any alterations to her car.)
  • tariktarik Member Posts: 344
    A 500 HP mustang that runs hi 10 second quarter mile passes,and can be driven 40+ miles to work and back.....You should be scared

Wrong topic my friend, nobody cares about ugly cars and adolescent tales of power (BTW, correct the hp rating, your profile says 435, does that thing grow more "muscle" over time?).

True fog lights are usually amber and can be turned on without turning on the headlights. What Lexus likes to refer to as fog lights just simply isn't.

Oh yeah? So all manufacturers who use white foglights which cannot be turned on seperately are dumb? How does the Prius score? Well, at least they keep certain people from trying to illuminate the dark caves of their brains with fogs even on a sunny day...

Tarik
    One of my literary favorites. Besides the epic "GE&H", my other favorite is "Go Dog, Go" because it taught my toddler at the time (who is now the ripe old age of 4) when to "floor it" at a green light. I also worked in the lesson of "yellow means red is coming, so you better step on it".

My wife hates raising two boys.
  • jeffmust2jeffmust2 Member Posts: 811
    There are a few small changes for the 2002 RX300s before the Big Changes come in the 2003s.

Due to the inability of the previous RX300 electronics to be adjusted for the use of non-factory standard size wheels, it appears that the accuracy of the GPS-based navigation system was impacted.

While no further details were given, the new 2002 RX Nav apparently will be adjustable via setting of a default parameter for actual wheel diameter in order to coordinate any custom wheel size vs. GPS positioning vs. mapping accuracy; i.e. - it will be much more accurate than the earlier RX Navs especially in vehicles with non-factory diameter wheels.

This will be a first in the industry and is in keeping with Lexus' well-known strive for perfection.

Next, they're gonna take a look at that windshield fogging problem.
    The tires are 235/65-17 cross-terrains, and the overall circumference is within 2-3% of original equipment so the Nav accuracy isn't compromised. Spacers (+1") on all four wheels plus wider tires likely gives the car a stance about 3" wider. Clearly helps overall stability.

And... If you are not old enough to have ever driven a car in heavy fog with only amber fog lights then there is no way you can appreciate the difference.

And, by the way, my 92 LS, that's as in Lexus LS, came with amber fog lights and I modified the fog light relay so they could be turned on alone.

Try snow-skiing on a bright day with amber goggle lens vs clear and you'll see what I mean.

Are you by any chance a camera buff? If so check out which lens'/filters you should use under different lighting circumstances.

HID? The reason they are becoming more and more popular is because they have a much wider spectral content.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Don't foglamps depend on the internal reflector designs themselves and not the colour of the lenses (which may be clear or amber)? For example, the Hella 500 auxillary lamps are available in foglamp form, or as driving lamps. However, both look similar in appearance from the outside, and amber lenses can be bought for either the fog or driving lamps.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    Fog lamps should be designed to give a low (sharp upper cutoff) and wide light pattern. That requirement also help define the shape of the reflector.

It seems to me that the need for an amber light source has something to do with the reflective capability, spectrally, of the fog "droplets". I seem to remember reading that an amber light source would not be reflected back into the driver's eyes as greatly as would a wider spectra (white)light source.

My 92 LS uses a standard "white" fog light bulb, with a glass amber filter enclosed in a metal "mask" to "shape" the beam pattern. The refector itself seems pretty much standard. What I see from the driver's viewpoint is a wide beam with a very sharp upper cutoff, lower than the normal low beams.

I have no idea why the industry is going away from this concept. Can anyone else out there contribute any input, todays fog lamp concept vs yesteryear's?

The fact that there is a HUGE fog light aftermarket may indicate that generally the public is not accepting the industry position.

Why?
    As usual, you're full of hot air. Or should I say air-conditioned, mildewly air?

Here is a pretty good article on the subject:

http://www.gi.alaska.edu/ScienceForum/ASF5/593.html

Having myself contracted with the Geophysical Institute to provide computing services for reseach in the Artic wildlife refuge I will contact Larry immediately and ask him to look into the issue, not of whether or not yellow fog lamps PENETRATE fog more adequately, but whether or not yellow fog lamps reduce the VISIBLE GLARE reflected from fog droplets while penetrating the fog well enough that they are, overall, an aid in helping motorists see the road and objects ahead of them.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Ask him when Dr. Davis is going to update Alaska Science Nuggets - my copy of the book is getting pretty old.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Read Larry's statement about ski googles again. He admits that yellow lenses help filter out light in the blue section of the spectrum and thus increase contrast in overall broad spectrum "WHITE" light conditions.

If that is true then why would he go on to dispute that not providing light in the blue portion of the spectrum, only yellow, would have the same effect, increasing contrast by eliminating the blue portion of the spectrum?

I'll ask him.

As for any research quoted from the Russians ask me why my company is selling them Osprey Co-processors, NEW PDP-11s, to replace the Russian PDP-11 clone design.
    I think this quote said it best:
    "The advantages ascribed to it may take place only in very thin fog or may be subjectively received by some drivers owing to their individual peculiarities of vision."