Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 300

Comments

• mooretorquemooretorque Member Posts: 241
    hangler, where is the leak coming from? If one was not found, I'd lean towards ww's theory (sabotage by a jealous neighbor?). As far as valve stem or leaking around the bead, simple. Take tire off after refilling with air. Mix large glass of water with a little dishwashing soap. Slosh liberal amounts on the bead, on the valve stem and then over the tread. If/where there's a leak, you'll have nice visible bubbles. And congratulations!! You are now almost qualified to work in a circa 60s and 70s service station!! And that's how we found leaks.

Sludge won't work.....too thick. Gimpy, I'm trying to think of alternate uses for your sludge whilst we wait on your class action litigation. ;)
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    you can just toss it into your swimming pool and watch for rising bubbles....

Not the sludge, the tire...
  • fantomfantom Member Posts: 211
    Have our RX300 for a month and some nut keys the two side doors while my wife is shopping. Front door seems minor but rear door is deep.

The only thing that hurt more than the scratch is the Lexus dealership quote of $800 to $1000 to fix it. They claim it's a very tricky match (mineral green-opal) and will take several days. Local touch up shop wants $250 and only several hours to repair. I have not checked my insurance coverage for vandalism yet.

Should I go with the Lexus paint shop to get an exact match on the doors? Anyone have this miserable experience, and if so, how did you solve it? Thanks.
  • gimpyrxgimpyrx Member Posts: 198
    They still have the GIMPY RX.
    I still have the 2001 ES300 LOANER.
    Take all the time ya need,They did their own oil sample.
  • mooretorquemooretorque Member Posts: 241
    hangler, don't listen to willard.....rather than the pool, just put it in the bathtub (recommend that you wait till the wife is not home). Easier to get it back out that way and you can clean the wheel while you're at it! (jk)
  • izabelajohnizabelajohn Member Posts: 38
    Hangler, I had a similar problem which I described here about a year ago. During my 5K service the dealer rotated the tires. On my way home I notice the wheels squeeling more than usual and a sudden drop in MPG. The next morning one of my tires was completely flat and the other one down to about 20 psi. There was no visible damage or objects imbeded in the tires. I took the car to the dealer to have it checked suspecting that something went wrong during the service. As it turned out the flat tire had a tiny cut/slit on the inside (!) side wall and the low pressure tire had a leaking valve. The dealer replaced the tire with the problem (not repairable) and the valve in the second tire under warranty, no questions asked. I am convinced that both were damaged during service at the dealer.
  • joanziejoanzie Member Posts: 51
    I asked and received 2 bottles of touch up paint from my service dept. one for the body and one for the bottom or bumper no charge! Maybe it depends upon your dealer.
  • ravlravl Member Posts: 129
    I'm curious what other dealers give at closing. I received a stainless commuter mug, leather and gold Lexus key fob, cd, and $10. gift certificate (which will be used if they charge me for touch up paint.)

All the cookies and bottled Arrowhead Water during my Operation LexusCon were pretty sweet too. :))

My dealer was Lexus of Valencia.
    all that and an RX to boot, just for writing them one HUGE check!
  • jeffmust2jeffmust2 Member Posts: 811
    Apparently, Willard never got his RX Goody Bag.
  • tc_i_amtc_i_am Member Posts: 52
    Heck, when I got my Rex they threw in a free Daewoo. In hindsight, I would have preferred the coffee mug.
    There would be resistors of all types, electrical tape, paper towels labelled "Defrost Kit", AWD see-thru diagrams, maps for when the Nav fails, and some chocolate bars so when you ask strangers for directions, you can reward them.
  • tariktarik Member Posts: 344
    Now, are we on a rant or what, ROTLBIC!

Tarik
    I am. Just laughing over someone being happy about being given TRIVIA when buying a 35K plus vehicle.

But, something is better than nothing I guess.
    I'm big enough to ask for help when needed, so what the heck is "ROTLBIC" Tarik?

Rolling On The....

confused and intrigued TC
  • tariktarik Member Posts: 344
    It should have been ROTFLBIC.

Rolling On The Floor Laughing Biting In Carpet.
    I read that in a German forum the other day, and knew instantly that it would help me distinguish the know-it-alls from the genuinely honest ones...!

Off to Switzerland tomorrow, hoping to make it there and back... Tarik
    Godspeed and safe trip. Don't gloat too much (when you get back) about all the nifty cars you get to drive while you're there ;->

Oh yea, and if you do rent a Smart, you better come back with some pictures! Especially of the giant Smart dispensing machine .
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Have a safe and fun journey, Tarik, and try not to drool too much with the cars that they get in Europe ;-). Unless of course you can bring one back!

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • clee4clee4 Member Posts: 103
    BTW, don't forget to take the Lexus NAV unit with you, wonder if the data base is complete?
    ...just as you get to the Alps it'll make you ski down on yer own... it's flawed I tell you! Flawed!
    Speaking of RESISTORS...

Does anyone know if the 2001 RX w/HID has the same height sensors (potentiometers) as on the front and rear of the 2000 GS to adjust HID for non-level loading?

My 996 has hi-low HID and I'm wondering if I can add a resistor between the high beam circuit and one of these sensors so the HID adjusts upward on high beam like my 996. Probably will try it out on the GS this weekend and if it works....
  • ravlravl Member Posts: 129
    So, you think my post about the goodies I received was a petty one, eh? Coming from a guy who obsesses over what the true meaning of AWD is, when in reality, people who drive Lexus prolly don't care *how* it works, just that it works when needed, I guess I'd have to say you know petty pretty well. Or are you just jealous of the outstanding treatment my dealer gives me?

Does it help you any to know I'm a chick who drives a black Silversport? We love that prissy add on stuff. So there.
    My comment was not about your POST, I thought the goodies you received were petty, trivial, compared to the sale the dealer just made.

When I picked up my 996 in Germany this summer the rep gave me a gift of a key fob, had my wife not been along I would have probably tried to stuff it down his throat. I can't say what level of gift would really suffice in this case, probably none at all would be best, just courteous treatment.

"People who drive Lexii don't care "how" it works," (exactly why I'm in here saying all this stuff) "just that it works when needed."

My point exactly, in the case of 99 & 00 RX AWD, IT DOESN'T !!!!

Maybe some of you, maybe even most of you, don't want to hear about the shortcomings of the Lexus product line, but I'll still keep trying to get through to those that do care.

Now pardon me while I go off and look up the word "prissy" and then try to interpolate it into your sentence.

"We love that prissy add-on stuff."

Does it help you any to know that my RX is also monotone, but burnished gold.
    excessively proper; affectedly correct; prim.

As in: "We love that prissy (excessively proper) add-on stuff."

Don't take me too seriously here.

So there !!
    What became of your speaker buzz and did anyone ever suggest using gun bluing on your Lexus logos to make them match the others?
    EOM
  • jimbonutjimbonut Member Posts: 9
    Three times I have incurred severe scratches on the rear bumper of my 99 RX300. All happened in parking lots and involved other cars just touching mine while my vehicle was at rest. I think some people just back up until they hear something. The scratches were beyond a simple hand touch up and too unsightly to ignore (maybe I am too fussy). I had the whole bumper repainted for close to $500.

I resent the fact that the bumpers are so easily scrached. What ever happened to bumper guards or rubber strips? Is this a planned strategy by the car manufacturers?

Does anyone know of any after market bumper guards or rubber strips that would provide some protection and not spoil the appearance and fall short of making the vehicle look like it is on a safari?
    Jim, you've never seen the bumper protectors that are on everyone's cars nowadays? I see these on cars everywhere.

This should get you started:

http://store.yahoo.com/rodi/pac25515.html

http://store.yahoo.com/rodi/pac25500.html

http://store.yahoo.com/rodi/pac2550series.html

Tony C;

Have you hired that attorney yet?

It occurs to me that if gimpyrx can drum up enough support for a class action for a sludge case with very weak legs you might be successful with one over being deceived about the true nature of 99 & 00 RX AWD.

Since the RX's of those vintage already have ABS, upgrading them to Trac (and VSC) should be relatively inexpensive.
  • jimbonutjimbonut Member Posts: 9
    Many thanks Mark. I will order some.....
  • rbroylesrbroyles Member Posts: 5
    Just purchased a silver sport this past summer.Called dealer for price,$680 and was informed that using outside shops may void warranty. Called 3 shops and there around$300.Even called toyota dealer and they would install at work or home for$395.Any input would be helpful.Enjoy the bickering, and helpful info.
    You're amazing... you must not have many friends. Have you looked up bombastic yet?

I could care less about pre '01 AWD Rex's, that's not what I own. The information I have says that the '01 is full-time 4WD. All I care about whether that is true or not. I'll let you worry about other things since you are so good at it.

Lexus corporate is working on a response/explanation for me. The customer service folks admitted that they were not a technical resource and kicked it to corporate. The ETA I was given for a response was EOB today. When I know I'll be sure to share with others and try to be helpful. What a concept, huh?
    too big a word is.

Something I would hardly ever use, people who try to use too many big words probably do so to feel self-important.

Have you ever seen me dispute that the 01 is full-time AWD? I do wonder if the addition of Trac is really satisfactory to make it "full-time" AWD, my own experience indicates otherwise. But if Trac operates as the factory says it does then I wouldn't dispute the 01 RX AWD argument.

I assume you have seen my posts regarding enquiries to Lexus. If you have a better contact then what you might want to pursue is the question regarding the 99 and 00 RXs.

The only instance I had to test TRAC was on a muddy road and it was my impression that it quit on me fairly quickly and turned on the diagnostic light. The diagnostic light seemed to go out if I drove the straight and narrow for about 100 yds. It seemed to have "re-armed" itself at that point, maybe it took some time to replenish the hydraulic accumulator?
    doesn't stretch unless its put under tension.

A viscous clutch doesn't "slip" if the front to rear roadbed traction isn't disparate. So what Lexus says is logically correct, "under normal conditions engine torque is delivered EQUALLY to both front and rear."

But, didn't most of us buy these vehicles for their performance in ABNORMAL condition?

I just went back and looked at post #3098. Tony what SUV do you own?
  • sathomasgasathomasga Member Posts: 10
    Has anyone gotten curious enough to measure the gas mileage improvement gained by removing the accessory cross bars? I've noticed that the bike carrier alone (no bike) drops my in-town MPG from 23-ish to 21-ish. (2001 FWD.) Since it's no more than a couple of minutes to install or remove, I usually take the bike carrier off if I'm not transporting bikes for several days. Got me wondering how much the cross bars alone cost in MPG. (And, interesting enough, adding a bike to the carrier only drops the MPG to around 20.)
  • psripsri Member Posts: 6
    After a month of trying to decide between the RX & the ML, finally we bought the white-gold RX300 (wife's choice of color of course!). In the end, the reliability, human engineering, comfort and gas-mileage (of RX) outweighed the off-road abilities, supposedly better handling, couple of extra safety features and a little larger interior (of ML) in our order of priorities. The excellent local Lexus dealership with courteus sales folks and great service (here at Central Jersey) also helped.
    I have learned quite a bit from this forum - thanks to everyone who posted.
    Question: Our sales person was suggesting we use regular gas. The User manual recommemends premium while not requiring it. What are user's experience on this - do most folks use premium. I thought I would start off with premium gas for a few thousand miles and maybe try out regular later on. Any advise?
  • tomjavatomjava Member Posts: 136
    Please read the lastest Car & Driver magazine issue regarding premium or regular unleaded gas. Great article.

BTW, congratulation on your new RX300
  • jim250jim250 Member Posts: 23
    We bought our black '01 AWD with nav on 7/31 and now have about 2300 miles on it. We have always used regular gas with no apparent problems. On a long trip made before we hit the first 1K on the odometer, gas mileage was 24.1 while driving ~65 mph with A/C off. Only other options we got were the rear spoiler, trailer hitch, luggage area mat and net, and Ziebart rustproofing. Car is great so far. Only small annoyance is slight but frequent (for want of a better word) rustling or ticking sound coming from the area of the overhead console near the rear view mirror. Cannot yet figure just where the sound comes from. Dealer said they fixed it by loosening and reattaching the velcro supporting the headliner. This didn't work. Does anyone else have this slight but nagging sound? If radio is on, I don't hear it, so I suppose that would be a solution too. :-)
  • finch3finch3 Member Posts: 113
    Have used regular gas for the 20,000 miles I've had my 2000 FWD and it works fine. MPG average from 20-23.
  • pschiffepschiffe Member Posts: 373
    Drove my 99 RX 70 miles to Rochester yesterday for scheduled maintenance even though my neighborhood Lexus dealer is only a few miles away, see post #3123 of 10/4 above. Very gratifying experience all around and the bill was actually less than their estimate, $376 + tax. That also included new front wiper blade inserts. Had the pleasure of driving a 2001 RX loaner which included the premium package. Lots of goodies I don't have on my own - electrochromic rear view mirror w/compass, memory and heated seats, Homelink transciever, CD changer, moonroof and HID headlamps; but no NAV - sweet. Guess I'll have to go all the way next time if I can finesse it!

Pete
  • bcjacob1bcjacob1 Member Posts: 39
    Sounds dumb, but have you tried removing any sunglasses from the overhead compartment to see if the noise persists?
  • chaseboychaseboy Member Posts: 30
    Anyone out there know when the RX is due for a redesign? I am thinking about buying a 2002 now, but if it is going to be redesigned next year, I can wait a few more months for a totally new fresh look. Any advice?
  • jim250jim250 Member Posts: 23
    Yes, bcjacob1, I did check for any loose items in the overhead compartment, thanks. Nothing there. It seems that if I press on the left rear edge of the overhead console, it often will stop the sound. Now I'll just have to keep my finger pressing on that spot on the ceiling, and voila, no more annoying sound -- kind of like the Dutch boy plugging a hole in the dike with his finger to hold back the sea. I hope my arm won't get tired. :-)
  • alekseypalekseyp Member Posts: 2
    I had to cut rear right belt (details below) in my 2001 4WD RX300.
    Is replacement of the belt under warranty?
    How much of a deal is to replace it (seems like a large back plastic panel has to be removed)?
    Will dealer be able to put panel back, so it still looks like new?

Details. My 3-years old put a belt around himself and then released it, choking himself. I tried to release a tension in orede to pull more belt out, but I had no room to go: the belt was too tight around his belly. Belt woundn't give up, so I had to cut it.
  • izabelajohnizabelajohn Member Posts: 38
    alekseyp - I noticed that the belts at the back seats are very easily triggered into locking themselves. I never had a situation when I had to cut the belt but my 7-year old constantly gets stuck under the belt when she as much moves a bit more suddenly.
    Does anyone know if the tension lock sensitivity can be adjusted? Would it be safe to make it a little less sensitive?
    I happen to have the shop manual for a 2000 Chrysler T&C AWD, which, like the RX, also uses a viscous clutch to "adaptively" drive the rear wheels. There are two differences between the two drive types that are notable.

The Chrysler has an over-running clutch in-line with the rear drive shaft so that in a heavy braking situation the rear wheels can/may turn faster than the front. The Chrysler also has a "dog-clutch" around the over-running clutch so the vehicle can still route torque to the rear when in reverse.

Why the difference?

I was told by an industry expert that the T&C has a higher "pre-load" on the viscous clutch so the "latent" coupling front to rear would be much greater than the RX. Without the over-running clutch the T&C drive train might be damaged in severe braking situations. With less pre-load on the viscous clutch, the RX's rear wheels could easily over-run the front during heavy braking with no adverse affect to the drive train.

Conclusion..

The Chrysler T&C has a better AWD system than does the RX!

No doubt that is also why my 2001 RX would not apply very much torque to the rear wheels with the fronts elevated, a lower pre-load, less native or latent torque to the rear.
  • kimwipeskimwipes Member Posts: 21
    I'm getting jealous from people getting 24 MPG on a highway and 20-23 city.

Yestarday I only got 21.7 between Portland and Seattle and regularly get about 17 on the city.

I have checked the tire pressure. Is there anything else I should check? Thanks in advance
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Here's some generic gas mileage tips.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Left Portland for Seattle (home) about 7PM in a 99 blue 911 coupe with the aerokit and got 27.8 MPG.
  • explrsportexplrsport Member Posts: 34
    I don't think Kim is really concerned with the gas mileage of a small, light sports car wwest. I think she is more curious about the mileage of a RX300...you know, the topic of this forum. Maybe if she had asked a question about the viscous clutch she would have gotten a relevant answer. Or probably not...