Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 300

Comments

• john339john339 Member Posts: 229
    tgif888- I agree that part of the LA Times article, concerning the Better Business Bureau rating, was pretty enlightening.

"Toyota's reputation has taken some uncharacteristic knocks, including a negative rating by the Better Business Bureau of the Southland that covers Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside and San Bernardino counties.

"Based on our standards, we rate this company as having an unsatisfactory business performance record. Complaints contain a pattern of allegations concerning warranty and repair issues. Some customers complained they experienced repeated problems with certain components, found zone office representatives unwilling to help with repair costs, or were dissatisfied with extended warranty claims procedures," the BBB report said. "

http://cgi.latimes.com/class/highway1/yourwheels/20020313/t000018575.html"
  • jeffmust2jeffmust2 Member Posts: 811
    ...don't forget the ES300 board for the links to the LA Times and BBB articles.

Don't these folks have a right to be fully informed? Heavens to Betsy! How MANY times must I outline this?!

Toyota trucks with the 3.0 V-6 and I-4
    Toyota automobiles with the 3.0 V-6 and I-4
    Lexus RX and ES (all have the V-6)

Please don't make me remind you again.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    lol, ruski, you can't say that in here. Try again (btw, your email bounced).

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    those thieves!

next time I am doing the service in my own garage even though it is a huge no-no in my planned development.
  • mooretorquemooretorque Member Posts: 241
    toyotas1, excellent question. T/L usually has a longer product life w/o major redesign. My presumption is increased competition in the segment forcing more rapid evolution, in the interest of not waiting for sales to begin to sag.

But that's just a guess........

rlui1, this has been debated before, but the short answer is that running octane higher than what your ECU/compression ratio is programmed for does NOT increase either mileage or horsepower since the ECU will not allow any more spark advance than what's already programmed.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    My Lexus salesman told me that the HL wheelbase was bigger to make the platform more stable over the RX which had a few customer complaints in that area.

The RX is being "redesigned" to gain that same advantage and obviously also for parts commonality with the HL. I expect that the RX and the HL will then have the very same base platform.

You do realize that the LX470 and the LC share the very same platform?? Likely the GX and the Sequoia too.
  • rlui1rlui1 Member Posts: 93
    mooretorque - Thanks for your response. I'm a new RX owner and haven't seen the octane discussions before. I'll try the 87 and save some money since gas prices have significantly increased recently.
    rlui1, my apologies. Didn't intend for my reply to sound condescending or mean, just info that there was a lot of discussion and posting of mileages numbers, etc, a few months back if you are interested.
    Also, Car & Driver did an article about 6 months ago in which they looked at performance (acceleration times as well as mileage) in several vehicles using both regular and premium juice. Some of the results were a bit surprising.
    Finally, I had been putting premium in my wife's RX (every other Lexus I've owned used premium, so dumb*ss me just assumed........) until I happened to read octane requirements in her manual. I've seen no perceptible difference in performance nor any change in mileage.
  • mrrogersmrrogers Member Posts: 391
    I logged on to carsdirect.com today, and checked the price for a RX300 at zipcode 91311 which is Chatsworth, CA north of Los Angeles. The MSRP for a FWD base car is $34,530 including freight. Invoice is $30,878. The CarsDirect price is $30,978. That is as close to invoice as I have ever seen a RX300 priced.
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    Yeah that is cheap...

But, that's also an RX that probably doesnt exist... I almost NEVER see Cloth/No Sunroof RXs...

See what a premium Pack one is worth.

Bill
  • mrrogersmrrogers Member Posts: 391
    your question is yes and no. I priced an AWD w/Navigation System Value Package and every option offered at carsdirect.com for zipcode 91311. MSRP is $44,520! Invoice is $38,706. CarsDirect price is $40,106. Then I priced an AWD with every option available except NAV. MSRP is $42,520. Invoice is $37,006. CarsDirect price is $37,106. It would appear that there is a big premium for the NAV equipped cars.
  • cocochanelcocochanel Member Posts: 1
    First the good news...
    Purchased a Certified 2000 RX 300 with 28,000 miles, 30,000 mile service and 2 new tires for $28,000, which is $10,000 less than sticker 2 years ago. RX has all options except navigation option. The vehicle was a service "loaner" car with all service records.
    Now the bad news....rattles..
    The dealer has not been successful in locating and resolving a rattle (or popping noise)in the area where front edge of the dashboard meets the windshield (defroster vent area) and the glove box.
    Anyone out there have any experience with "rattle resolving?"
  • bigorange30bigorange30 Member Posts: 1,091
    That is still about $6000 more than the first price you quoted. It sounds like brentwoodvolvo was right on the money. They don't put RX300's on the lot without the leather (premium package) so unless you order one special, you will not be able to buy one for the $31,000 you quoted.
    TWO NEW TIRES???

Might not be acceptable if you bought an AWD model.

Rattles?

Charactoristic of SUVs, Minivans, and station wagons.
  • gteach26gteach26 Member Posts: 576
    My wife recently purchased a 2002 rx300. She loves it. I do too, however, I find the thin little arm rests attatched to the seats too unsupportive and uncomfortable. Does anyone know of a company that makes a high quality arm rest that fills in that gap in the middle of the two seats and comes up level to the folded down postion of the arm rests attatched to the seats?
  • jiaminjiamin Member Posts: 556
    I have the same feeling as you do. However if there is one to fill in between two seats, how can two seats move seperately? If the existing armrest can be a little wider then it'll be good to support the arm but it'll partially block the center cup holder.
  • bcjacob1bcjacob1 Member Posts: 39
    Our '01 RX 300 AWD has an aweful stinky smell from the exhaust. We just noticed it recently. Any thoughts on this? Is it normal? The vehicle has 19k miles.
  • bcjacob1bcjacob1 Member Posts: 39
    I have my oild changed on our '01 RX 300 AWD at Toyota for $19.00 and they rotate the tires for $24.00. Our 15k service is due and we were quoted $375 by the only dealer w/in 80 miles.

Do I really need my drive shaft flange bolts re-torqued? All the rest of the items under the 15k service are b/s and it seems like a rip-off to charge so much to "inspect."
  • paulblue02paulblue02 Member Posts: 9
    I also find the center arm rest a bit narrow and annoying since it does not match the level of the arm rest connected to the door. However, since I recently sold my '00 RX to buy a "02 RX I do consider it to be a nit. My solution: I simply fold up the center arm rest and I do not use it. I fold it down occasionally on a long trip, but around the city in day-to-day driving I do not miss it at all. I find the lack of a center arm rest to be less annoying than a thin uneven one. Just my 2 cents...
  • cew4cew4 Member Posts: 2
    Recently purchased a CPO '99 RX and I am concerned with the high pitched whine/whistle sound coming from the trans when cold and in low gear. Any one else had the problem? I attempted to scan the messages looking for this, but didn't see anything. Also, I was hearing this crunching sound when I would encounter a bump. Dealer said they have to replace the caps/bearings on the struts(?). The parts are on order, but because it's being redesinged they have no idea when they'll be in. Beginning to wonder what they did to Certify this thing. Please let me know if these are common complaints with this vehicle.
  • scargo160quickscargo160quick Member Posts: 63
    I was driving the RX300 in a really bad Bay Area rainstorm this morning. There were several occasions where I could feel the car drift, and like the fronts wheels were getting squirrelly on me. This after losing control of the car in a moderate turn about 6 months ago after a fresh rain. Luckily I was able to correct and get out without any damage.

This car has me scared, more for my wife and young son. Has anyone else had troubles driving this particular vehicle in the rain, or is it the Goodyear Invicta tires? This is a 2WD 2000 model and does not have VSC.

Thanks!
  • joanziejoanzie Member Posts: 51
    I will be traveling from N.J. to Calif. in July I usually change the oil every 5000. I will probably only have 8000. on the car by June, Do I just change the oil or do 10k because I will miss it. I plan on changing the oil again when I get there in Fresno. Also should I use 10w30 since it will be hot on the road and I will be traveling high speeds and interstate driving.Thanks everyone.
    In my 01 AWD RX I have noticed that when turning on a rain slicked street I oftentimes hear something as if I have a large tree branch dragging along under the car. I have susepcted this is the result of the VSC detecting slight under-steer and moderately braking the rear wheel(s).
  • ryan_choyryan_choy Member Posts: 1
    My '00 RX has 25,000 miles on it. It started making noise, kind of clicking noise, when press brake pedal gently. I can hear the noise in low speed, and can duplicate the noise all the time by backing out of the driveway.
    My '01 Camry, 20K miles on it, has same noise.
    I don't think this is normal. Anyone has any idea?
  • gsenthilgsenthil Member Posts: 154
    I had my 15k service done at the Toyota dealership yesterday. I have 17k miles but of that 3000 was freeway so I guess its ok.

Total for Oil change+tire rotation+ inspections=$25. I supplied them with Mobil 1 + filter + seal. Tire rotation is $10. I had it done to Lexus manual specs (using the spare page 280 of the 2001 manual).

No loaner car/no free coffee/cookies but for a $400 price diffrerence I dont care. Took about 1.5 hrs but watched my RX thro the glass windows so it wasnt that bad.

For my last oil change, they used up all the 6qts. Now, it used up only 5qts. I am worried with this. They drained the oil, so it should use the same amount right? So how come only 5 qts now? Is the remaining 1 qt sludge??? My daily driving (5 days a week) is a drive from my home to the Park & Ride that is 1.5 miles each way- pretty bad for the engine IMHO

Washed my car. How do people in cold weathers wash their car? The cold water made my hands numb. But I did it out of love for my car ;) Its all worth it but if there is a better way I would like to know. The first few times I would shampoo my car all over before rinsing and never got a clean look. Finally I figured the problem was that the car was drying up (with the dirt on) and not being cleaned. I washed 1 panel at a time and got a clean finish. All products (shampoo/wax) were Meguires (the 6 pc kit from Costco for $15)

What do I use for perforated Leather? I know this has been discussed often but too lazy to search.

What about swirl marks? Any 3M products?

I also plan to use Zaino once summer sets it, but it looks like it never will be here in Seattle.

Senthil
  • rlui1rlui1 Member Posts: 93
    No apology necessary. I didn't think you were being mean or condescending. Lexus owners generally are cool folks. Thanks for the info!
    Check and see if you're clicking noise isn't coming from near the base of the shift handle. Solenoid mounted there to keep you from shifting out of park without applying brakes.
  • raddboy41raddboy41 Member Posts: 249
    Oil change w/ filter on the RX requires 5 qts. of oil.....not 6.
  • tariktarik Member Posts: 344
    My Rex just rolled 31k, and while it was serviced a few weeks ago I got a brand new FWD loaner. This thing felt like it had twice as much "go" as mine. Now I've noticed that before, but in direct comparison, it seems to be unbelievable. One of my theories is that the adaptive transmission has built a mean over time (lots of highway) which doesn't reflect the actual driving style any more. I asked the SA to have the trans' memory "zapped", but the tech forgot. He explained that I only had to disconnect the battery for a few minutes to reset the ECUs in order to empty all storage.

Has anyone noticed the same behaviour on their car? Where else could this originate, or am I just a victim of my imagination...?

Tarik
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    I had the same experience when I had about 40,000 miles on my RX. I thought it may have had something to do with needing a tune-up. I mentioned it to the service tech and nothing came of it and soon forgot about that experience. That's a good thought about the transmission. Let me know what happens if you zap it. Other than that and the radio and clock settings what else will be lost?
  • jiaminjiamin Member Posts: 556
    I guess the memory seat setting will also be lost.
    ...my service advisor told me that after the 30k service I would see instant improvement due to the changed transmission fluid and such, but, as usual, he was wrong.

I'll try my theory in a self-test, if you don't see any post within the next three days - remember me as The brave one...

Tarik
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    I used to disconnect the battery (or just the PCM fuse) on my 300M whenever it learned some bad tranny habits. It worked.
    I always felt that my car drove easier, smoother, after I washed and waxed it.
    Ya'll don't think the (if memory serves) 250# wt difference between AWD and FWD affects your perceptions, do you??

Certainly you can zap the ECU but you still have to deal with a heavier car and a drivetrain with more frictional loss.......but I know wifey's AWD feels much more "on rails" than the FWD with VSC loaners I've had, even before the switch from No-Integritys to CrossTerrains. I've got my GS430 when I want to rub somebody's nose in it.......
    Yeah, for "rubbing" I drive the 'Cuda...

The weight difference between the FWD and the AWD is there, no doubt about it, but what I experienced was more like jumping off the line more instantaneously - almost like torque braking before you let go.

Let me zap the ECU while SWMBO looks the other way.

Tarik
    Ahhhhhh......got HemiCuda???

My post didn't reflect it, but I have experienced the livelier feel that you mention when driving a dealer loaner. Mentally I attributed the difference in off the line "snap" both the weight difference and the added driveline friction. I hadn't considered the ECU "learning" (though I knew/know it does) as a factor, so I'll be interested to read of your experience. Just, of course, how the car performs and not the sordid details of what happens when SWKAMBO (She Who Knows....) finds that you've messed with the innards of her beloved RX.........;)
  • sssstevessssteve Member Posts: 49
    ruski - do you know the location of the PCM fuse for disconnect to "zap" the tranny (as mention in your message #4738)? How or what is it labeled in the fuse panel chart?

Might not be a bad idea to zap this every now and then to improve performance.

thanks!
  • gsenthilgsenthil Member Posts: 154
    Do you think the FWD loaner has more zap because loaner cars were driven differently than personal cars...and the "learnt" ratios were hence different?

Senthil
    I wish I had a HEMI, but could I justify to drive it as my everyday car then? I currently put between 1000 and 1500 miles a month on mine, which is a "real" "cuda with the 340 engine. Mopar enthusiasts want to strangle me for that all the time, but if it were a HEMI I would be long gone...

Regarding SWKAMBO (thanks for the correction - makes sense, doesn't it?), if you don't tell, she'd never know . Hope I don't need the Rex towed afterwards.

Tarik
    Good point, never considered the different driving behavior of loaner users. But if it is so, zapping should be even more efficient on mine, wouldn't one believe? The accumulation of steady highway miles MUST affect the computation of the mean value somehow.

I am out to the garage right now to do it. Wish me luck...

Fearless Tarik
    Tarik, that was not a correction, merely an alternative title allowed by protocols valid for "Exalted Bearer of Extra X Chromosome" or "X-Box" for short (not that I'd use short form in her hearing).

ZZZZZZzzzztttttttt (sound from Tarik's garage)
    Don't worry, my DNS's main property is humour - a high percentage at that. Life would be dull without it, doncha think?

I just returned from the (according to my Lexmech) mandatory 8 mile test drive to initialize the ECU after having had the battery disconnected for about an hour. I hope it's not just a brainchuld of my imagination, but the "get-go" feels MUCH MORE to my liking now. My wife's main concern was somewhat of a sluggishness in responding to kickdown, which I also witnessed - gone! All I lost was the clock, the trip computer's memory, and the seat settings. Trip odometers and radio stations are all there, and the "open-all-doors-with-one-click" programming stayed untouched, too.

I try not to be too convinced of my abilities right now, and will report any failure and downsides of my doings as they surface.

Proud and applying at Lexus tomorrow Tarik
    Hey, how could you possibly know about the sound in my garage??? Betcha you didn't see the bluish arc casting a sharp shadow of the neighbor's house and the cat's image burned into the wall, though. When did my facial skin complexion change...?

Tarik
    You used a CAT to short out the battery?

SHAME !!

Oh, did the cat survive?
    Au contraire, the cat happened to walk by at the wrong time. She looks sorta "naked" now and wears shades...

For the record, I love cats and own one, which I locked into the laundry before I popped the hood - safety is paramount after all.

Evidently appearing in less than flattering light Tarik
    OMG!! First you threaten the cat with arc-temp barbecue, then you put him through washer/dryer ("locked into the laundry...")??? The horror, the horror.......

At least now you can run from PETA with alacrity now that the RX has reminded itself what a lithesome, spritely it once was.......

BTW, to practice completing the routine Lexus service, be sure to "check all fluids" and bill yourself for 0.5 hrs at $75/hr for doing so. ;)
  • bradsteilbradsteil Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2000 RX300 and have been noticing that over the past month or so, that I have been needing to add anti-freeze and wonder if this is normal? I have around 26K and when I took my RX300 in for the 30,000 servicing 2 weeks ago, I asked about this and they stated that this is acceptable and not to be concerned. I have been changing the oil every 4,000 miles, thus the issue of engine sludge probably is not the cause of the anti-freeze needing to be added every 2 weeks or so. The amount of anti-freeze is is around maybe 8 oz every 2-3 weeks. I asked the service tech if this anti-freeze being down and needing to add some every few weeks is tied in any way to the engine sludge problem with the RX300 and he stated that there is no relationship between the sludge issue which my RX300 does not have at this time and the anti-freeze issue.

I like to have any feedback from anyone that has had this same type of situation and if you see this as being normal or not.
    OMG!! First you threaten the cat with arc-temp barbecue, then you put him through washer/dryer ("locked into the laundry...")??? The horror, the horror.......

I am beginning to feel what it must be like to live a politician's life, whose every public word is twisted around numerous times, mostly to his disadvantage. I guess I will have to delay plans to run for official honors until I am secure enough to endure the ever-present threat...

At least now you can run from PETA with alacrity now that the RX has reminded itself what a lithesome, spritely it once was.......

Well, the feeling is still the same this morning - and it's great!!!

BTW, to practice completing the routine Lexus service, be sure to "check all fluids" and bill yourself for 0.5 hrs at $75/hr for doing so.

Done that, and immediately liquefied the income for a chilled bottle of Veuve Clicquot (what a beautiful play of words), with which I will reward myself and Lucy, the cat, tonight (I guess I ought to take tomorrow off without specific plans for any ventures before noon ).

Talking about horror, what in the world do you do on a computer in the middle of the night anyway? Emergency call? Sneaking out to wax the Lex? Having a cigarette after the fact...?

Lexmech Tarik
    I never had to add any cooling fluid in 31k miles, which doesn't mean a whole lot, but 8oz per 2-3 weeks would concern me. If it is truly acceptable, your dealer should have no problem acknowledging your concern and stating in writing that this fact will not contribute to future deficiencies of the drivetrain.

You could also check with Lexus' customer satisfaction place in California, it would be interesting to hear their opinion. Any other Lexus dealer nearby?

Tarik