Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 300

Comments

• litzviclitzvic Member Posts: 11
    Hi all:
    Traded my 1999 RX in today for a 2002 Coach Edition, Burnished Gold/Ivory Leather. I am to pick up vehicle Saturday, for it is just arriving today at dealer. My question is "does anyone know of where I can get the accessory dash wood kit that will match or closely match the Birds Eye Maple which is in the Coach." Appreciate any response you can give me.

John
  • jimxojimxo Member Posts: 423
    John try wooddash.com or clublexus.com they will have any links you need.
    jimxo:
    Thanks for the info. I have looked at both and find NO birds eye maple wood or any reference to the 2002 Coach edition. I emailed both for any help. Any other ideas to match this wood would be greatly appreciated.

John
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    It was recently posted on the Camry board that the 3.0L engines produced by Toyota starting April 2002 have the sludge issued completely remedied, that the engines have been modified.
    ~alpha
  • mrrogersmrrogers Member Posts: 391
    3.0L engines in April, but they also stated that their 2002 engines will be covered under a separate gel policy to be issued in the future. I do not know how this will differ from the current eight year policy for the 1997 through 2001 models. You can read about this in the Edmund's archived oil gel topic.
  • ravlravl Member Posts: 129
    What are you trying to do to your new 2002 Coach Edition dash? Doesn't it already come with a nice, wood dash?
    Is what you're looking for an upgraded wood or are you looking to change the other components of the dash?

Help please!
    Ravl:
    No, I am not planning on changing the existing birds eye maple dash components; however, I am planning to add the 22 piece additional wood to cover the remaining (no wood) areas on the dash, vents, speakers, console, etc. I did the same thing to my now traded-in 1999; however, I am not able to findthe birds eye maple wood for the Coach edition. Would appreciate any help you can give me for a source.
    Thanks,
    John
    Thanks for the clarification. I'm sorry, but I have no clue where to send you for your quest.

Did you pick up your car yet? What's your first impressions if you have?
  • tnguy1tnguy1 Member Posts: 20
    Does anyone know any information about the redesign RX? I heard that the redesigned RX is due out this spring. Thanks
  • fasterthanufasterthanu Member Posts: 210
    I heard the new RX to be sold late this year (Spring is too early) will be a more "rugged" looking SUV with the typical SUV look. Perhaps the GX is a good indicator of where the RX is headed. Personally I'm glad we got the 01. I think this generation will look good for years to come.
  • tnguy1tnguy1 Member Posts: 20
    Thanks for the info. I can't wait to see what it looks like. This past Saturday, I accompanied a friend to help negotiate successfully for a 02 gold Coach edition RX. It was the most pleasant car-buying experience ever. I love the interior of the Lexus. However, I am hoping the new RX will have more room and maybe third row seating. The GX will be out of my $$ range for now. I was considering the MDX but I think that I will wait.
    Ravl:
    Picked up the 2002 Burnished Gold Coach Edition last night from Dave Mungenast Lexas St.Louis and I have nothing but raves about it in comparison to my 1999 RX. This is my wife's car; however, she hasn't been able to drive it yet. Got it outfitted with everything except Navigation, cell phone or chrome wheels. Other than these items, it is completely outfitted. Still have been unable to find the birds eye maple accessory wood kit to match the existing wood on dash. If you or anyone else hear of someone who offers this wood, please let me know.
    John
  • rmorin2rmorin2 Member Posts: 110
    Have RX owners been successful in getting their seat cushions replaced if the leather cracks? Thanks.
  • pbk77pbk77 Member Posts: 23
    I was wondering if anyone added this to their older RX300s. If you don't know what it is, it's the black plastic protective strip that's on the 2001 and 2002 RX300. If so, how easy was the installation?

Thanks for the help.
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    I had Lexus put mine on. I think it was $50 installed a couple of years ago.
  • jiaminjiamin Member Posts: 556
    I added Siena's bumper guard to my 00 RX before I 01 RX came out. It's very easy but not as good as new RX's guard that curves down for full protection. Just peel off the back film and stick it on the bumper.
    Hey John!
    Isn't that new car feeling wonderful?
    I still haven't seen a coach edition on the road. As I have the Silversport Edition, I need to be checking out my not_so_one_of_a_kind_now euro grill's competition!!
  • rxlaxrxlax Member Posts: 13
    You can order the Rear Bumper Rubber from Irontoad.com. It does help protect when loading and unloading
  • craigcurrycraigcurry Member Posts: 14
    My wife's RX goes in next week for an oil change. I will have our dealer look at the cracked leather seat and see what they have to say about it. I will post their response.
    What have you found to work the best for removal of hard water spots from sprinklers? I own a black Silversport and have been hit a couple of times with sprinklers....on hot days. A good car wash doesn't do it. I'm hoping an application of wax will help reduce the amount that can be seen.

I think I hate this type of 'dirt' the worst. Bird doo is way up there, but with black, hard water spots are a real pain in the [non-permissible content removed].

I wonder if a diluted solution of Lime Away or vinegar could work? Maybe I answered my own question?
  • jeffmust2jeffmust2 Member Posts: 811
    We also have a black RX, 2001 vintage.

Bird crap and water spots are problems, with the birds apparently winning the top spot.

Being careful to not park under our driveway trees doesn't eliminate their excellent aiming technique and true dedication to getting my wife upset.

Here's the real bad news - the concentrated,
    "all-the-worms-that-I-ate-today" kind of droppings can etch thru the top coat of your black paint. So wash them off quickly if you can.

Remember, on black RXs, there is NO CLEAR TOP COAT, unlike other RX colors. So there's less protection.

For water spots leaving mineral deposits like calcium, wash the car with plain 'ol Dawn diluted dish detergent and use any ultra-mild polish, liquid (easier) or paste (harder).

The good news is that Lexus puts a LOT of black paint on the RX to make-up for the lack of a top clear coat so it will take many many polishings, scratch removals, etc.

Good luck!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Actually, it's not so much the worms, it's the berries - high acid content.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
    ...that it's the berries!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Thanks! ;-)

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
    I don't mind the bird poo as much because the area they hit is small. That's cleaned up with a wet paper towel. Sprinklers are a killer because it means a whole car wash. And you still have water spots!

I applied a coat of Meguiars Liquid Gold (I think that's what it's called.) and it diminished the severity by quite a bit. They're still there, but you have to be in the right light. Before the wax, you could see them from any angle.

Why we bow to our black cars and their bad qualities, one of life's mysteries. Dang if I don't love the looks of them, though! So much so, this is our 6th one! I wouldn't own black if I couldn't garage it. That's key to this color's looks and longevity.
  • parnolaparnola Member Posts: 141
    Anyone know off hand how much longer the cargo area is in the Highlander vs the Lexus?
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    I was surprised to find that they are virtually equals in cargo area.
  • swiftmswiftm Member Posts: 68
    I recommend Zaino wax, do a search in Edmunds. Swift
  • parnolaparnola Member Posts: 141
    so what is the highlander doing with its extra 4.? inches of length?

Also, one of my biggest complaints about my RX is its wide turning radius. I don't understand how the Highlander managed to get a 37.4" turning radius instead of a 41.3" radius like the Lexus.
  • carwondercarwonder Member Posts: 1
    tnguy1, do you mind to share the price you got for your friend? I am in NY/Conn area and was offered a 02 new RX AWD w/Nav pack for $37500. If I want the coach edt, it would cost 2k more.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Elegant Lexus RX300 Still Leads Crossover Pack

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    ...that can't push two (2) simple buttons over the Navi screen to change it to dark background at night because a "white" screen provides too much glare...

Guess it's another case of..."Gosh, I don't have to read a manual or ask someone - I KNOW how all this stuff works!"

And the last time anybody had to pay sticker for an RX (unlike the Acura MDX or new CRV) was several years ago.
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    I don't think wiping bird crap with paper tower is a good idea - paper towels are not perfectly smooth and probably will cause swirl marks. Bird crap may contain some small sand and stone particles because birds eat small pebbles. So that will scratch your paint too.

I hate when sprinklers are misaligned and spray the road instead of swales. I don't even wash my cars anymore - a few minutes after a wash I get sprayed by crazy sprinklers on the way home and the car is dirty again.
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    Do NOT let paper towels anywhere near your paint! The tiny wood particles in themWILL scratch your paint. If you have a Black/Jade one, you'll notice! Maybe not on a Silveror Pearl White..but they will scratch the paint...

Cotton Terry Cloth Towels!!

Bill
    To Paper Towels! I knew they were the KOD for plastic Jeep windows, but didn't realize they were enemy number one with paint, too.

Cheap, cotton towels it is.
    No! not cheap cotton towels. They have hems sewn with polyester thread - that scratches!

(thank goodness for my silver van; I only have to wash it twice a year and that helps keep the scratch count down, LOL)

Steve
    Host
  • newtosuvnewtosuv Member Posts: 9
    I apologize if this has been covered before ...I own a 2001 Rx. The second week that I had the car, I noticed that the drivers seat leather was VERY cracked. At first, Lexus would not do anything about it but after talking to the service manager, they re-died the leather. It looked better but now in 2 months , it looks even worse.....very badly cracked. What should I do? I have never had this problem with other cars....am very disappointed at the 'quality" and look of the leather. Any suggestions?
  • rmorin2rmorin2 Member Posts: 110
    Our driver's seat starting cracking within a couple of months. It was redyed and lasted about a year. Now it is cracking again and I plan to have it replaced at Lexus expense. If they won't they will hear from me again and again!
  • dknndknn Member Posts: 6
    I have a 99 ES300 and from where the seatbelt retracts it rubs against the side of the seat. This caused the leather to flake off. While my car was in for service, I told the advisor and he stated that he would redye the seat. He later called to tell me that they would just order a new seat cover under warranty. I would ask them to replace the seat cover with a new one.
  • newtosuvnewtosuv Member Posts: 9
    I was told that Lexus would only re-dye seats ONCE!!!!

Anyone else have this problem? Has Lexus done anything about it a second time?

Thanks for your help.
  • rlui1rlui1 Member Posts: 93
    I thought one of the benefits of owning a Lexus was the excellent service. When I had a '97 Pathfinder with minor cracks in my leather seats, the dealer replaced the seat cover under warranty with no arguments. I can't believe Lexus is re-dying the seats. That's covering up a defect in workmanship, as evidenced by reoccurrence of the problem within a year. After replacing the seat cover in my Pathfinder, the problem never happened again.
  • I have a 99ES Coach, and had some very fine cracks in the drivers seat where by braided belt was rubbing when I got in the car. Service manager knew it was probably from a belt, but said he would fix anyway for customer satisfaction. They ordered and replaced the entire seatback with a new one. Service has been exceptional and car is flawless.
  • kmhkmh Member Posts: 143
    I bought a pre-owned certified '99 RX and noticed the seatbelts are a bit worn. I believe the abuse came from the belt not retracting all the way (I've heard this was notorious in the '99s) and the door closing on them. Anyhow, the belts have some of the fibers ripped or torn in some areas.

I believe Lexus should switch these out for safety reasons. Any comments?
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    Noticed the posts about re-dying the cracks. The Lexus has leather that is just surface dyed? Just curious.
    Because they're such an important part of safety, I think most companies will do repairs for many years at no cost. Not sure, but they might have to, by law. This would be especially true if it was due to a flaw in the mechanism. I had a Jeep that wouldn't retract and was constantly shutting it in the door, causing a huge weak spot in its strap.

Can you imagine the lawsuit if you got into an accident and could prove they were negligent for not repairing? The PR wouldn't help, either.
    I used to think so too, but if you can believe these guys, there's no special warranty required by US law (unless they are found to be defective by the NHTSA). Some manufacturers (Acura for example) have a lifetime seat belt warranty.

Steve
    Host
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    I am not exactly sure about the Lexus RX, but for Toyota models, seatbelt issues are covered under warranty for the same amount of time that the powertrain is (covered).
    ~alpha
  • jiaminjiamin Member Posts: 556
    Hondas have lifetime warranty on seat belts, as long as not caused by an accident. I remember Nissans too.
  • bobgailwbobgailw Member Posts: 3
    The AT dipstick in the rx-300 says never change fluid under normal driving conditions. The maintainence book that came with the car indicates that no change is necessary under normal conditions. (most of us drive under the definition of normal conditions). My dealer keeps insisting the the AT fluid must be changed. What gives with the dealer service? Is this just a service ripoff? Please let me know you opinions.

Thanks
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Recently you submitted a question to the Lexus Customer Satisfaction Department.

We will assume your issue has been resolved if we do not hear from you within 120 hours.

Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.

You may also update this question by replying to this message. Because your reply will be automatically processed, you MUST enter your reply in the space below. Text entered into any other part of this message will be discarded.
    [===> Please enter your reply below this line <===]

[===> Please enter your reply above this line <===]

If your issue remains unresolved, please update this question here.

Subject
    RX330

Discussion Thread
     Response (Denise Academia) 03/11/2003 02:45 PM
    Dear Mr. West:

Thank you for contacting the Lexus Customer Satisfaction Department regarding the
    2004 RX 330.

The vehicle will have front, center and rear differentials, without the use of a Limited Slip Differential (LSD), in the center differential. The vehicle will not require the viscous coupling because traction control and vehicle skid control will transmit power to the appropriate wheels upon detection of wheel slippage. Also, the RX 330 should have enough rear wheel suspension clearance for the use of snow chains.

If you have any further concerns, you can also reach the Lexus Customer Satisfaction Department at 1-800-255-3987, Monday through Friday, 6:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Pacific Time.

Sincerely,
    Denise Academia
    Customer Satisfaction Representative
     Customer (Willard West) 03/06/2003 03:45 PM
    No answer yet ???
     Customer (Willard West) 03/03/2003 01:00 PM
    Dear Sir,

The early press releases indicated the new RX330 eliminates the center viscous clutch in favor of a Sequoia-like brake modulation AWD torque apportioning system. I have already placed my order for the RX330 (to replace my wannabee AWD 01 RX300) based on the above information.

Now I note that Lexus.com and Lexus.ca are both indicating the viscous clutch is a holdover on the RX330.

Which is the truth?

Willard West

PS: Will the RX330 have enough rear wheel suspension clearance such that I can use snowchains (rear only or all 4) without be threatened with loss of control?