Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 300

Comments

• ranjith1ranjith1 Member Posts: 5
    Hi All

Thanks a lot for the suggestions. I will try to find what it is and let you know...

Thanks a lot again....
  • rparisrparis Member Posts: 368
    How much are Lexus delaers charging for an oil change? Mine charges around $50, but I get a free car wash! Have never had them do it.

Glass wax is a great windshield cleaner
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by willwest:
    [QB]Porsche doesn't get it.

Yes, the whole SUV craze started with the jeep, four doors, good turning radius, sit high above most traffic, sensible cargo capacity, and yes, a damn good AWD/4WD system. Off-road or on-road.

Women were buying minivans. Men didn't like driving a minivan with a soccer mom image.

Compromise time, a Jeep, with more of a Macho image.

Two of the hottest sellers in this segment today, the Toyota HL and the Lexus RX, don't even have a reasonable level of on-road AWD/4WD capability for true wintertime conditions.

The Chrysler AWD T&C is a much more capable "SUV"
    than either of these.

Do those owners care? No, hell, most of them don't even have a clue.

So here we have a Cayenne with true off-road capability and absolutely TREMENDOUS mud-slinging capability, just in case.

So who cares?

NOBODY!

Now, give me a Cayenne with more finesse, weighing less than 2 tons, open diff'ls front and rear, the 03 4runner center torsen diff'l, PSM & A-Trac, and a nice V8 with about 240HP (or something on the order of the HL or RX V6) and I'd be one of the first ones in line to buy a Porsche SUV at their price.[/QB][/QUOTE]
  • raddboy41raddboy41 Member Posts: 249
    Whomp! Whomp! Whomp! Whomp!.....uh....Willard...the horse....it's dead. :^)
  • jeffmust2jeffmust2 Member Posts: 811
    From his own post:

"So who cares? NOBODY!"

Whew. Thought I wouldn't live long enough.
    When have you EVER seen me state anything about interest in ANY off-road capable SUV?

My subject matter has ALWAYS been on-road SUV AWD capability in wintertime low traction conditions.

Sorry to disappoint.
  • pschiffepschiffe Member Posts: 373
    I call it the $100 oil change at my friendly neighborhood Lexus dealer. Includes a few incidental items such as tire rotation, but that's basically what it is. BTW, frequent use of products such as Glass Wax may leave a hazy silicone build-up on auto windshields that is difficult to remove.

Pete
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Thanks for the windshield info - I'm expanding this to the Windshield Stuff discussion - original title I know :-)

Steve, Host

• earldaddy2earldaddy2 Member Posts: 2
    I'm 6 '4 and find that my left leg is just a little too long to be comfortable in the RX with that "dead pedal" there....It must be 3 or 4 inches high.....Anyone ever try to remove it? What's under there? I'm thinking it may gain me a few inches of leg room if I take it out.

Opinions? Experiences?
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    Invisible Glass is great:

http://www.invisibleglass.com/

I also like Zaino glass cleaner

http://www.zainobros.com

• cc2718cc2718 Member Posts: 18
    They moved the production location. I won't buy rx330 for the same reason I won't buy MDX.
  • xsfoxsfo Member Posts: 17
    cc2718:
    Just wondering what you had in mind since you wreen't considering the RX330 or MDX. An Aztek perhaps?
  • rparisrparis Member Posts: 368
    Everya few months I use Glass Wax and think the windows come out really clean. You have to be careful to wipe off all the residue. I have never noticed a problem with build up. I also take a little soap and water and wipe down the wiper blades every so often.

I dirve a 2001 and thinkl the standard radio that comes with the vehcile is great especially when listening to cds. Would an upgraded radio really be worth the extra money??
  • mooretorquemooretorque Member Posts: 241
    rparis, I wouldn't, at this point, change out your headunit, but upgrading speakers would yield a far more audible improvement, as well as be (generally) cheaper.

Try Polk Audio or MBQuart (sp?); might also check on the Audio forum at ClubLexus.com. Lots of very knowledgeable folks there. (Haven't looked to see what's here on Edmunds but I'm sure there's a ton of good info here, too.)

Bottom line is that distortion levels (you pick whatever measurement you want) in electronics are in the range of one or two ten-thousandths of a percent, whereas distortion levels for speakers are literally thousands of times greater (woofer, for instance, can easily produce THD levels of 10-15%), so changing the speakers is ALWAYS the more effective upgrade!!
  • tinlittletinlittle Member Posts: 21
    cc2718, do you know the reason why X5, ML and MDX are all made in US or Canada? Let me share it with you assuming you don't know it. Trucks(or minivans like ML which claims it is actually an SUV(truck)) are tariffed at 25% when imported. While cars are only tariffed at less than 5%. That is one reason why bigger Sequoia is cheaper than smaller Land Cruiser. And that is the only reason why GM and Ford trucks are not crushed by Japanese imports like their cars are crushed right now. And that is the reason why someone could make such kind of claims like Japanses has better cars but American has better trucks.

Granted, American auto lost their credit among many informed customers. And after I read the California judge's comment on the Ford Bronco rollover lawsuit, I swear to myself that I will never buy a Ford in my life. (He said Ford's behavior is despicable as Ford knows the Bronco's high rollover risk in the beginning.)

But, I am sure that you are like me, who want to support common American workers whenever it is reasonable and possible. Actually there is a way when shopping for a car or SUV. That is buy non-domestic brand but manufactured in US. That way, a small percent of profit goes to Mr.Toyota instead of 50% goes to Mr. Ford(who is rich and despicable). But those non-unionized people outside Michigan get their hard earned money too.

I think RS330 would be made in US is a good thing. Granted this will be the first Lexus not made in Japan. But I don't think the quality would be any different. Remember, the supervisors would probably be all Japanese ;-) And the price would be dropped too, just like the new Acura TL vs. the old Janapese made TL. Unless of course, I too will be upsetted if the 20% saving is not reflected on the price but straight into Mr. Toyota's pocket.
  • mouseonlinemouseonline Member Posts: 47
    May I say that Toyota's founder's last name is TOYODA?
    Also, look at the quality of MB ML, & BMW X5, I am really concerned about the quality of the future build in America RX330.
    Both the X5 and the ML have had some quality problems, some serious and some just simply niggling. Unless I've missed a few it seems to me that most of the problems I have read about had to do with design aspects or manufacturing design choices.

Both functions that are performed on the manufacturers home turf.
  • tariktarik Member Posts: 344
    Another important factor in quality is the workforce's skill level. The person who is responsible for the assembly quality of a car has a great influence on how it turns out. Although designs, production methods, and procedures must always be considered, BMW's initial quality issues were mainly caused by their overrated but underqualified workforce.

Everybody here is certainly proud to work at "the factory", but BMW paid dearly for this gamble.

Not a "home based function" of the foreign manufacturer...
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    Quality in domestic manufacture also has a lot to do with the company's ability to manage domestic suppliers. That has been/is the Achilles heel of the MB M-class. Good design, lackluster execution. A new plant and new employees, subcontracted work to scores of domestic suppliers that made bad window switches and other sources of annoying quality issues. MB defenders have been quick to point out "supplier problems" but that doesn't help the buyer who a complete vehicle. There were also some "design choices" that victimized the M-class as well (e.g. the fuel pump design).

Meanwhile, Toyota appears to have performed an excellent job managing domestic suppliers. While I don't think that a Lexus made here will necessarily be at the level of a Japanese-made Lexus, I don't think it'll be that far behind either.
  • newtosuvnewtosuv Member Posts: 9
    My Mom has an ES 300 in Florida. Since she bought it in MN it has brackets for a front plate even though Florida has none.

I saw a Mercedes with a fabulous silver plate with their logo on it. Lexus says they do not make a similar plate.

Any suggestions on where I can find a simple elegant front plate for a Lexus? I would love a silver plate with the Lexus logo on it. I am not interested in the plastic vanity plates that you see on some cars.

Thanks
  • fantomfantom Member Posts: 211
    For a better looking and less expensive solution to the holes in your Mom's front bumper check out:

bumperplugs.com

They sell painted plugs for many cars that look great. I've used them several times, with total satisfaction.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I love the "exact factory match" stuff on pages like the bumper plug guys. You can go to most any truck canopy store, and for the right price, have your bugshield, canopy, wheels, trailer, mother-in-law or whatever painted to match your car. The colors are all coded from the factory and all the paint reps fight to install their company's fancy "computer" gizmos that mix the paint per the factory code in the accessory stores. It's almost hard not to get an exact match these days if you have any painting experience at all.

For the best deal, drop off your roof racks or whatever with them and tell them to paint them when they do a canopy in the right color.

Steve, Host
  • kmhkmh Member Posts: 143
    I cannot say for a fact, but try checking out eBay with a search for plates. Somebody's bound to sell what you're looking for.

My dealership put on their own Lexus license plate holders that I find tastefully done.
  • bm3coupebm3coupe Member Posts: 5
    Hi,

Can I still buy a new RX300 in April 2003 or Lexus will only make RX330 at that time?

Thanks
  • mrrogersmrrogers Member Posts: 391
    A Lexus dealer told me I have until the end of March to order a 2003 RX300. I have not seen that in writing anywhere like a Lexus website.
    Anyone else notice nicks in the side pillar from the driver side seat buckle? My wife has a habit of unbuckling and just letting the belt fly back, rather than easing it back with her hand.

Guess this isn't covered under warranty ;-)
  • krazyhopzkrazyhopz Member Posts: 17
    I am 6'2" and have the same issue. I have a 2002 and can't for the life of me figure out what it is for.It is above the emergency brake, and the pedal does not go down that far. Actually started to develop an aching knee until I did a lot of seat adjustments.

I have a friend who has a 2000 and there is a 3" difference between the models. Enough leg room without seat adjustments. If you find a solution let me know.
  • skreskoskresko Member Posts: 1
    My 1999 Rx 300 (Lexus) with 40,000 doesn't seem to know
    what gear to go to when I first take off in the morning. It gets up
    to around 35 mph and hangs there. I keep looking down to see
    if I have it in drive instead of 1 or 2. I have taken to the dealer two
    times and both times they tell me thats the way the 99 Rx 300's
    are? They said it was set up that way for the engine to warm up?
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    My '99 has done this since day one. It was distracting at first but now I don't even notice it and it doesn't cause any problems.
    My 01 AWD RX300 doesn't lock up the torque converter for a period of time when I start it up "cold". I have heard that is so the tranx fluid will warm up quicker or it may even be to "fire off" the catalytic converter quicker.
  • pmhtvpmhtv Member Posts: 33
    It is normal operation for the RX transmission to hold onto gears longer when it is cold - although somewhat annoying, this allows the fluids to warm more quickly and also reduces emissions.
  • mrrogersmrrogers Member Posts: 391
    My answer in post #6234 is wrong. I went back and looked at my notes, and the Lexus dealer told me that I could order a 2003 RX300 through the end of January for delivery prior to the introduction of the 2004 RX330 this spring. Sorry for the confusion.
    Thanks for the info.
    I have been searching for a 2003 FWD RX300 with Premium value package. Most dealers quote 36K+ Tax and tag
    I really appreciate for any info about the price and a dealer has a better deal. I live in Maryland and don't mind to pick up a car within 500 miles.

Thank you
  • clee4clee4 Member Posts: 103
    Tink Doyle with Lexus of Richmond was great to deal with when I bought my 01.
  • pdswaypdsway Member Posts: 14
    Hi...

I had good luck (and service) with Lexus of Rockville, on Rockville Pike just before you get to Gaithersburg. I used an internet service (carorder.com) for my 2k AWD RX300 they seemed happy to deal with internet services and pricing.

PDS
  • lefty15lefty15 Member Posts: 2
    AAA buys a lot of cars every month. They have a lot of purchasing power. I told them exactly what I wanted (color, extras) and they saved me a lot of money. You can pick the car up at the local AAA office. You should check it out.
    The U.S. MSRP of the new GX 470 has been set at $45,500. Here is a link to the full article:

GX 470

Pete

• slow43slow43 Member Posts: 31
    I am thinking of bidding for a 1999 Rx300 on Ebay? Any pearls of wisdom, do(s) or don't(s) would be greatly appreciated.

How does the RX300 run with 87 octane vs. a higher octane?

Thanks in Advance, Slow43
  • jiaminjiamin Member Posts: 556
    I switched between 87 and 91 and couldn't find anything different myself, MPG, acceleration, smoothness, etc. The owner's manual says to use premium gas "for improved vehicle performance...".
    I've also been comparing 87 and 91 on 02 QX4, 96 Maxima and 94 Altima. To me no difference.
    The only difference I noticed on my '99 RX was in the wallet.

Pete
  • mooretorquemooretorque Member Posts: 241
    Sorry for delay.....spent the last week with the kiddos in House of Mouse, aka WaltDisneyWorld.

My wife does the same thing with hers, also managing to close the door on the buckle a number of times, leading to chips in the paint in the door edge.......arrgghh!!!

Willard, that's correct. Trans also won't shift out of 3rd until tranny fluid hits 186 F (or it may have been 178 F) mostly for lighting off the cat quicker.
  • slow43slow43 Member Posts: 31
    87 Octane is what I wanted to hear.

Pete has your 99 RX stayed out of the shop?

Slow
    Hi Slow, yes; it has "stayed out of the shop". Have about 48K miles and only replaced the wiper blades and tires to date. They sure don't make rubber like they used to! There are a few nit picky things I'd improve upon, but otherwise a superb vehicle in every respect.

Pete
  • kmhkmh Member Posts: 143
    Since someone brought up the topic of gas, I want to share an experience I had.

Awhile back I had to fill up at a gas station in a questionable part of town because I was running low.

Well, I filled up with 87 and went on my merry way. But shortly after, I noticed knocking and pinging where ever I went.

So as soon as I could, I refilled the tank with premium gas from a station I knew and trusted. Still knocked and pinged. Filled up a couple time more with premium and eventually the knocks and pings went away.

I now use the middle grade - 89 octane - and have never looked back. My RXs seem happy with my choice.

So, be cautious of where you fill up, IMHO.
    can be minimized by avoiding cheap Mexican food ;-)

Those more anal than I (hard to believe) have kept detailed records indicating that the use of recommended 91 octane supposedly comes out cheaper in the long run. They tell me the sensors adjust the timing so the engine runs smoothly on lower octane, BUT you lose some fuel economy and a bit of power.

Please note that I'm not an automotive engineer nor do I play one one TV. So YMMV :-)
  • chsmithinschsmithins Member Posts: 11
    We've done our shopping and are about to buy our new 2003 RX in southern California. We live in the Northwest and there are major price differences between our zone and theirs.

My wife has a concern, however, about the California emissions requirements versus the other 49 states. There were stories long ago about "California cars" being "choked up" or getting less mileage than the same models from other states. Is this still true? Are California RX's rated at 18-22 (city/hiway) for AWD and 19-23 for 2WD? Can any Californians here answer whether they feel there is any reason to avoid a California RX or any other California car?

The difference in pollution controlling is wide enough that there are stringent requirements for California residents who buy cars out of state and try to bring them back in to California. For those of us who are not residents of California, we can buy cars there and register them in our own state without problems. If you don't live too far away and can make the numbers work like we seem to have, give it a try.
  • clee4clee4 Member Posts: 103
    I was told by dealers in California and in Virginia that all of the Lexus models are shipped into the states with the same emission controls, no matter if it is east coast or west.
    Meets Transitional Low Emission Vehicle Certification for All 50 States.

Pete
  • fuhrmjofuhrmjo Member Posts: 1
    I am trying to choose between the RX300 AWD and the FWD. What would be the benefits and disadvantages of the AWD vs the FWD - pricing aside? Is it worth spending the extra money on the AWD?