Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 300

Comments

• rlui1rlui1 Member Posts: 93
    I was getting a rubbing sound also in my 2002 RX. The dealer said it was the steering shaft boot that needed some lubrication. That was several months ago and just recently there's a tiny noise once in a while. I'll have them look at it again in a few weeks when I'm due for service.
  • kvsm3kvsm3 Member Posts: 32
    Hello,
    I have a 2002 RX300 also and am experiencing the same sound as you guys have described. Does it only happen to you all when turning the wheel fully when pulling out of a parking lot or such?
  • gteach26gteach26 Member Posts: 576
    I don't drive the RX often (wife's car) but the few times that I do I've noticed it when turning the wheel fully... especially when backing up out of a parking space while turning the wheel and then straightening out to drive away. It should be a pretty easy noise to duplicate for the service reps. If so many of us on this board have heard this noise then I would assume the service reps have heard about this issue before -- thus an easy fix (if needed) should occur. I'm going in later this month for regular maintenance and I'll give you a heads up on this noise mystery. I'm guessing it's the "steering shaft boot needing lubrication" (whatever the heck that is) like rlui1 mentioned above.
  • swiftmswiftm Member Posts: 68
    I had the same problem recently; Service call 2 days ago and replace the spiral/light/wiper assy, cause is the spiral cable, it did the trick. just sharing, swift
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    recently as I am driving I hear a constant faint whistling or squeaking sound. I thought it was coming from the A/C (air whistling on something). But it actually seems that it may be coming from the belts or the pulleys.

I wonder what it could be. I guess I am going to go see the dealer about that.
  • gsenthilgsenthil Member Posts: 154
    Going in for 30k service this weekend for my 2001 RX. Toyota dealer quoted $180 while Lexus quoted 240. This is for the factory recommended service only (no transmission fluid/xfer case/differential fluid chnages) plus I will be providing my own parts (engine oil/filter; brake fluid)

Any recommendations on what brake fluid to use? Should I just get the recommended oil from Toyota dealership or change to Mobil 1? I couldnt find anything over at CL either. I am also switching to K&N
  • briegelbriegel Member Posts: 139
    Which Toyota dealer are you going to and which Lexus dealer quoted the $240? I live in Redmond and am interested in your experience with this. My 2002 RX only has 5200 miles on it so far.
  • mikey00mikey00 Member Posts: 462
    I just had mine done by a local garage that I trust. Oil and filter change using Quaker State 5w30 High Performance Synthetic blend - 28.95, cooling system service 34.95, brake fluid flush 24.95. They also check everything else brakes, hoses, belts, etc. and top off all fluids. I changed the air filter myself previously - 7.50 for Purolator at Strauss and also torqued the drive shaft bolts myself. The bolts are easy to do and I can't imagine my guy charging more than $10 if I asked him to do it. Total cost was $96.35 plus tax.
    I didn't have the tires rotated because I have Cross Terrains from Costco and they rotate them for free.
    The Lexus dealer is Lexus of Bellevue and the Toyota dealer is Toyota of Kirkland. For just the oil changes, I usually go to the Toyota dealer who charges (labor only) $10 for oil changes and $10 for tire rotation. I prefer this to Lexus as I can see them putting the Mobil 1 I provide and also rotating the tires the way I want them to (5 way as instructed in the manual)

Just wondering- I got a deep cut in my tire sometime back. Will the Lexus dealer repair it on warranty or should I get it repaired on my own?
  • pschiffepschiffe Member Posts: 373
    Tires are warranted by the OEM supplier, Goodyear or whoever. A "deep cut" would probably not be covered unless it is a defect.

Pete
  • ficklefickle Member Posts: 98
    Can someone enlighten me to the different colors of white I see on the RX? Sometimes, the bottom portions are goldish/tan in color and sometimes they are silverish. Are they called different names? Just a particular year? Just curious.
  • hpyuhpyu Member Posts: 6
    Hi, I am new to this place. I had a new 02 rx 300. It only had 2k miles on it. But I am starting thinking of an oil change. What is the suggested milage for my first oil change?
    There was a color tone change in the model year for White Gold Crystal. The silverish color started in 2001, I believe.
  • mrrogersmrrogers Member Posts: 391
    Welcome to the RX300 board. There is a rumour that a few of the Lexus/Toyota 3.0 V-6s have an oil gel (sludge) problem. It appears that if the oil is changed at four months or 4,000 miles, it is not a problem. The RX300 is still my favorite SUV.
    Ok...Then oft repeated tire size issue. I did read all that I could from past posts.

From what I read, I can fit the following on the orignal rims
    225/70/16 (OEM)
    235/70/16 Seems like a popular upgrade
    245/70/16 A few have done this w/o spacers
    255/65/16 Pirellis A few have done this- supposed to work w/o any problems

I also read some negative comments from someone who quoted a C&D Article abt Pirelli compared to Michellin

I will probably stick with Michellin CT (instead of LTX as CT is a newer/better design)

I just need to replace my blown out spare but would replace the remaining 4 after 20k more miles (odo reads 30k currently)

Thanks for your help/time
  • ctraylorctraylor Member Posts: 4
    I am considering purchasing an RX. Looking at either a 99 or 00. Are there any meaningful differences between the two year models?

Any info would be appreciated!
  • theciathecia Member Posts: 5
    I've been shopping for some new wheels for my 99 RX. Bolt pattern is easy (5x114.3, same as 5x4.5) but I've had problems determining what the true offset is. Various wheel sellers have told me +20mm, +35mm, +38mm, and +44mm. I'm beginning to believe +35. Can anyone confirm? Assuming +35mm is correct, how much lattitude do I have with that? For instance, would a +40 or +44 work? Has anyone experienced problems with tires rubbing when you have changed wheels or tires? The RX comes with a 16x6.5 wheel, but to have much selection I'm going to have to go to 7 or 7.5 widths. Has anyone had trouble with that? Beyond that, for those of you who have changed to 17" or 18" wheels, what offsets and widths have you been able to use?
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
  • bradsteilbradsteil Member Posts: 6
    I am looking at replacing my tires and was looking for Michellin CT, but the places that recently carried them, apparently are not and wonder if Michellin has discontinued the CTs and replaced them with another model. Does anyone know if this is true and if so, which model of Michellin would you recommend, assuming that the CT model is no longer available.
  • jrdowneyjrdowney Member Posts: 96
    These two models are basically the same. Some changes did occur for the 01 model year. Traction control became standard, the front end treatment is different. There are a couple of other things as well but I can't recall them right now.
  • kmhkmh Member Posts: 143
    Nice find on the photo and article!

For more looks at the RX330, you may want to check out clublexus.com under the RX300/330 discussion there, too.

There's only one debate still. The article you linked mentioned optional third row seats. Most of the information I've seen point to NO optional 3rd row. But we'll see, I guess.
  • jiaminjiamin Member Posts: 556
    I think 99 has the sloped rear spoiler. 00 and later has horizontal spoiler. 01 and later the rear lamps are different, as well as rear center seat has a three-point seat belt.
  • jiaminjiamin Member Posts: 556
    01 and later also has the black rear bumper protection piece.
    The bumper protection, however, can be added on any model year RX.

I highly recommend it especially if one plans to keep scratches off the paint.
    While searching at www.carsdirect.com, I noticed that Lexus has added a factory to dealer incentive of $500 to the 2003 RX300 through 1/2/03.
    Michelin website still lists CTs as no. 1 SUV tire. Tire Rack and Costco are both still stocking them. I purchased a set from Costco about 2 months ago. They handle better than my former Bridgestone H/Ts on dry, wet and snow. They also ride a little smoother.
    Recommended interval for "normal" service is 5K miles. First one is gratis at your authorized Lexus dealer, $100+ thereafter. Purchased Michelin CTs at BJs about a month ago.

Pete
    My 01 RX300 AWD owners manual shows 7500 miles for first "normal" service.

For all those having already re-torqued the driveline bolts, did they turn any farther before reaching the torque specification or did you have to back them off first in order to re-torque.

Mine didn't seem to turn even an iota.
  • nevernewnevernew Member Posts: 5
    1. I had the oil changed on my 02 AWD RX at Kirkland Toyota at 10,000 miles last week. I supplied the oil, Toyota provided the filter, the labor, the free coffee. Great service, quick, all in full view from the comfy waiting room; invited me out to cruise around the underside of the car and showed me where things were. I opted not to rotate tires or retorque driveline bolts. Cost: $23 incl. tax & fees. Offered price at Lexus of Bellevue (same franchise owner): $135, even when I asked for only the basic oil, filter and nothing else, not even the car wash in the tiny cubby hole.

2. If I decide to check the torque myself, do I just go to Sears and buy a mid-price Craftsman torque wrench? Are there any do's and don'ts in the retorque process? Anybody have the specs?
    Presumably the driveline torque procedure is for only the AWD model. Am I correct in assuming this does not apply to FWD versions?

Pete
  • exc3exc3 Member Posts: 4
    This is in regards to Post # 6515 by fantom:
    "Anyone else notice nicks in the side pillar from the driver side seat buckle? My wife has a habit of unbuckling and just letting the belt fly back, rather than easing it back with her hand."
    After reading your posting, I check our RX and found the same nicks. Thanks for the info. We had no idea this was happening. This is my wife's car and she has the same habit like yours. I complained to my dealer that the seat belt tension was too strong and that was the cause of the problem. We were not warned about this problem. This is a design problem. I was told that the seat belt tension is fine and it was not under warranty but they will replaced it one time only as a courtesy to me. They just replaced it and now we gently let release and glide the seat belt back to the pillar. I suggest everybody check their RX and gently release their seat belt.
    The only thing I know that's better at Lexus of Bellevue is the coffee. Halfway want to try service there since Khea took over but not yet brave enough. My 92 LS got it's front bumper scrapped in that cubby hole back in 92 and hasn't been back since.

If you happened to notice that Aqua Ice Prius in the showroom at Kirkland that's the one I just bought.

Lexus should just close their service shop and send everyone to Toyota.
    There are 4 drive shaft flange bolts located about under the shift console and another 4 in the rear. I torque all 8 at 54 ft-lbs (found this spec over on HL board). I just put the torque wrench on them and check to make sure they are at least at 54 ft-lbs. I believe it is unnecessary to loosen and re-torque. In fact this whole procedure seems like a waste of time to me, but I do it because it's in the manual.
    FWD models have no driveshaft and, hence, no bolts to torque.
    Found the same on our RX, too. I was concerned about the safety of the belt and whether or not it would fail in the event of an accident. So, I took the issue up with the dealership and Lexus and they replaced the faulty seatbelts without charge. Some may wish to consider this option as well. Good luck.
  • fortekfortek Member Posts: 29
    thecia

by using spacers of varying sizes, you can use a larger selection of wheels. If you don't use spacers, then find a 17x8" wheel with an offset derived by subtracting 30mm (1.2") from the factory offset. Spacers aren't cheap, almost $300, but they give you a much broader range of rims to pick from. Tire Rack can do a search for whatever offset you desire in 17 x 8's , it's another matter if they find any, or if you like the one's they offer.

It would be interesting to note the difference in weight from 16 x 6.5 to 17 x 8, assuming the same construction. Usually the result is more weight, resulting in more unsprung weight, sometimes to the detrement of acceleration. Ideally, you should spring for a nice set of custom three piece rims, with whatever offset provides suspension clearance.

Try to maintain the same tire circumference, and pay close attention to accelerated suspension wear when using spacers or wheels that have an offset that varies from the stock spec. When changing the offset from spec, your affecting the suspension settings as well, both of which are not desirable.

Not sure what the factory offset is but perhaps someone with a manual can find the info.

Heard of some owners using 255/60's on these rims, anyone?

Knowing the offset of the rims that the owners are using with the 30mm spacer is critical, perhaps they can post this info and the tire sizes they used.

• fantomfantom Member Posts: 211
    Thanks for the update and suggestions kmh and exc3. I will see what my dealer will do for me during my next visit.

The odds of getting the seat belt mechanism replaced are much higher than the odds of successfully "re training" my wife.
    Wider track by almost 3", lower profile tires, more contact patch, all adds up to a much more stable and comfortable vehicle.

Comfort---- Lack of queasiness in the pit of your stomach due to soft suspension and "body" roll when cornering.
    30k Service

I had the 30k Service done for my 2001 RX SS last Sat at Lexus of Bellevue (WA). I usually get my reg oil changes done at Toyota of Kirkland (where they charge $10 each labor for oil change/tire rotation) but depending on whom I talked to, I was quoted anywhere from $180 to $360 for the 30k service (only the items on the mfr manual and Mobil 1/Oil Filter/Air Filter provided by me). I was quoted $240 for the same at Lexus of Bellevue so I went there – this was my first paid service at any Lexus dealer.

Here is a rundown:
    Minor Service [Notes: Its actually Major service for 30k but in the Major service they change transmission fluids etc which I didn’t want and hence the Minor service; I provided 5qts of Mobil 1 oil and Filter and gasket ($9 from Toyota Dealer)]
    Change Engine Oil Oil Filter and drain plug gasket
    Inspect Enginer Air Filter
    Rotate Tires
    Inspect Brake System: Front Brakes 6mm Rear Brakes 8mm remaining
    Inspect Steering Linkage and Rack * Pinion Assembly
    Inspect Ball Joints and Covers
    Inspect Drive Shaft Boots
    Set 4 Tires to 32PSI Spare=40
    Front Tire Depth 4/32 7/32
    Rear Tire Depth 6/32
    Inspect and Top off all engine compartment fluids
    Load test battery, clean terminals and fill
    Battery Condition- PASS
    Check Int & Ext lights for operation
    Check windshield wiper operation, blades and washer fluid
    Inspect drivetrain fluids and top off as needed
    Cooling system inspection- coolant level good to 34F
    Retorque flange bolts
    Road Test
    Hand wash & Vaccum
    $108.53 incl taxes

Flushed Brake Fluid and filled system [No diff in prices for brake fluid (2 qts @ $5 each) from Toyota/Lexus, so let them use their own]
    $108.53 incl taxes

Replaced Air Filter [Couldn’t find K&N 32-2045-1 so went with 32-2052; they didn’t complain about it;]
    $31.55 incl taxes [Pretty high- I should have done this myself!]

CBEST options were changed at no cost.

Total = $248.61

Was provided with a ES300 (2003) loaner. The Bridgestones on it made a big difference in handling compared to my Integritys. Automatic wipers are great. Must have feature for any future purchase for Seattle weather
  • fortekfortek Member Posts: 29
    lower profile tires usually exhibit a harsher ride, a trade-off for the better handling. Tire selection is critical to a comfortable ride, and if anyone attempts 18's, your beginning to risk some serious wheel damage from our lovely potholed roads during the winter. Believe your using Michelin CT's in 255/60? What is your offset? Factory spec offset?

The pros and cons of using spacers, along with any another modification must be addressed by each owner and his needs. I've gone the Michelin CT's 225/70/16, factory rims, and springs route...to each his own.

Using spacers or any combo that changes the offset from factory specs, can effect the path of tire/suspension travel throughout it's full range of motion. The wider track and increased tire contact patch will certainly raise the bar for handling limits, perhaps at the expense of high speed stability/handling @9/10th driving. Since most don't drive this aggressive or go off-road, they may never notice the difference. Remember to get a alignment after the new tires/rims. Can they be aligned to factory specs with the new wheels? Some suspension systems don't allow changes to toe, cast and camber, what about the RX?

If you still have the stock wheels, I'd be curious to see what the weight difference is between them and the new 17x8's. (?)

If you can get away with finding a rim with an offset that works, gets you the 3" wider track, and doesn't require a spacer, your ahead money wise and you benefit from the weight savings. If you've got your heart set on some wheels with a different offset, spacers may be the only way to allow them to fit.
    You let Lexus of Bellevue TOUCH your brake system? Needlessly?

Be sure and drive carefully, very carefully, the next 50-100k miles.

Other than the needless change of brake fluid I see about $25 worth of work (gofer rates) in your list.
    I could "track" my 01 C4 under Porsche club rules were I willing to drain and replenish my brake fluid every two years. No thanks, I'll play it safe and then simply rent the damn track if I want some thrills.
    Willard,
    It appears that Nissan has been listening to your advice. My wife and I looked at a new Nissan Murano this weekend, and 18" wheels and tires are standard. They claim in the AWD version that 50% of the traction is directed towards the rear wheels in some situations. The V6 has 245 horsepower and highway mileage is 24 Vs 22 for the RX300. The car is still built in Kyushu, Japan, the same city where the RX300 is built. The 2004 RX330 is supposed to be built in Canada, so I feel the paint quality will be diminished as the environmental laws are stricter in Canada.
    was recommended by Lexus not the dealer. I had to get it done and dont know how to do it myself and Toyota wanted more for it than Lexus- and hence Bellevue Lexus got the honors

I am pretty satisfied with their service so far and I think you should give them a fair chance too and not base your judgement based on your experience in 92. We all make mistakes.

I am pretty sure I have paid for the dealers kids education, but not as much as others or elsewhere and hence my satisfation.

Did some google search and some people seem to advice changing brake fluids every 2 yrs just like 5k oil changes. I havent formed an opinion on this yet.
    Lexus of Bellevue..

Added the Mobil 1 I supplied without first draining the old oil.

Service manager told me, argued with me, that the 00 GS300 I was complaining about the tip-in throttle surge had an e-throttle. This after I had just explained that I had already removed most of the backlash from the throttle cable from the footfeed to the intake.

Bought a new 00 AWD RX from them in early 00 and took it in for first oil change, service writer lefy me standing saying "wait here just a moment, I'll be right back". He wasn't really very long but when he came back he was carrying a rear bumper rubber step guard which he wanted to sell me. If I turn down this sale will I still get good service?

I opted "out".
  • nevernewnevernew Member Posts: 5
    Are the Murano and RX300 really built in the same city? Kyushu is the southernmost island of the "main" 4 islands of Japan, and the cities could be far apart culturally. The folks in Beppu (north part of the island) don't necessarily have the same attitude and work ethic as the folks in Kagoshima (south part of the island). I don't know which city either car is made in. Got more details? Is the Highlander built in the same factory as the RX300?
  • cdnrxcdnrx Member Posts: 4
    This is my first post to this site. Turned in our 99 MB ML 430 and purchased a 2002 RX 300. Love the RX but have experienced a strange wandering sensation when driving both city and highway. I read some postings that relate to pulling or alignment problems, however what we are sensing is a vague, numb or dead sensation on the steering wheel as if the car is floating. I know this sounds nuts, but I can not describe it any other way. Is it a characteristic of this vehicle. Does it require constant correction to keep it tracking. I can tell you that the steering is more sensitive than our ML, and maybe we need to adjust but something feels wrong. I also own a 2002 GMC Yukon Denali, and although it is a totally different vehicle than the RX, it tracks very strait with very little correction to keep it in line. Dealer as expected claims vehicle drives to Lexus specifications. Any comments ????
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I'm not sure how constructive it is to speculate on relative degrees of worth ethic in various regions.

tidester, host
    I feel that floating sensation when traveling on very smooth pavement. I attribute it to how smooth the RX rides. You can't feel the road as you can with a German vehicle.
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    How about the area under the door handle scratched up by jewelry?