Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 300

Comments

• mrrogersmrrogers Member Posts: 391
    Car and Driver magazine (www.caranddriver.com) tested the ES300 in August 2002. They state that the new ES300 has the five speed U150E transmission. The previous generation ES300 has the U140E four speed transmission. I am not sure what transmission is in the RX300.
         C&D states that the U150E contains revised clutching which allows for two overdrives. The problem is that it is reluctant to give them up. Toyota and Lexus used to equip their cars with a sport/economy button for the transmission, but that button and the extra lines of software code are gone.
         The Edmunds ES300 board has many entries on the subject.
  • docevildocevil Member Posts: 10
    I'll pop over to the ES board and take a looksee.
  • ravlravl Member Posts: 129
    I'm interested in finding out if what I'm about to describe is "normal" or if it's due to the fact when I bought my RX300, I had them swap out the alloy/Goodyears to the chrome/Bridgestones.

You'll need to access the Avg MPH function in Info. Set your car with cruise control and reset the Avg MPH by holding in the button.
    Compare the Avg MPH shown with the speedometer (allow for some time to pass to ensure the avg.). I'm off what looks like 1-2 mph, with the speedo showing higher than the computer. Which should I trust more to be accurate, what with the swap of tires, even though they're the same size? (The Bridgestone *looks* bigger to me.) TIA for those who care to feedback.
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    I have a '99 with Michelins. Original wheels and I noticed the same thing. (At least I think it was the same bias. I posted this question here about a year ago and never got a comment. I know it was off 1-2 miles/per hour in one direction or the other.) I did the test on a long, several hundred mile, flat stretch of highway with the cruise control set at 70.
    In my post #6801, I mentioned that I do not know what transmission is used in the RX300. I did a Yahoo search on "RX300 U140E transmission," and it appears that the U140E is used in the FWD RX300, and the U140F is in the AWD. Since the previous generation ES300 used the U140E, and the 2002/2003 ES300 now use the U150E, there is a possibility that the new RX330 will also use the U150E.
  • ladydi3ladydi3 Member Posts: 2
    Had the 5k service at the dealer which is 1 1/2 hours away and took 2 1/2 hrs. Since then, we use local Toyota dealer, use mobil 1 and no problem. Check engine lite and VSC lite came on! Lexus told us it was probably loose gas cap and it would reset itself in a week. After 3 weeks, took it in to Lexus who found a loose evaporation hose, blamed it on the Toyota service and told me they would charge me next time, that this is not covered under warranty. Would someone please tell me what bumper to bumper warranty entails??? Did I just go to a dealer who just wants to charge exorbitant prices because I haven't been servicing the car there?
  • bigorange30bigorange30 Member Posts: 1,091
    The RX300 needs a 5K service? Is that just an oil change or do they do other things too. I guess that makes me more glad I opted for the QX4 last year. Another thing I am wondering is why do you not like letting them do the service? I understand it is 1.5 hours away but couldn't you incorporate it into a shopping trip or something. I assume they give you a loaner. I am also assuming they are open for you to do it on Saturday. Well, I guess if I had to travel 1.5 hours every 5k miles, that would not be to swift. I use Mobil1 in my QX4 too but take it 7500 between changes.
  • jakutajakuta Member Posts: 16
    For those with Kazaa and broadband, do a search for a video clip entitled "2003 LA Auto Show - 2004 Lexus RX330"
  • ch05ech05e Member Posts: 12
    The reason toyota made a luxury division was because they knew people in the USA are into image and no one would buy a 40 thousand dollar toyota. So when it comes down to it, I think lexus has nothing to worry about because a lot people are not going to want to put money on a 40000 dollar Volkswagon, no matter how good it is. I like the Volkswagon too, but when it comes down to it, I would rather buy a lexus and have people know I'm driving an expensive vehicle then buy a Volkswagon and just have people think its a nice car. As far as the other competition goes, Volvo, despite its very loyal customers, doesn't have too many of them and I don't think many japanese car owners are going to want to switch. Once you go Lexus, you never go back! The only one car to worry about is BMW. By the way, the metallic trim is on all models not just the sport package equipped ones.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    For those of us who bother to read the RX300 owners manual 7500 miles is the suggested mileage between oil changes. Unless you're using it for Taxi service or for towing your boat.

If you simply listen to the dealers they'll soon have you down to 1000 miles between oil changes and a complete engine overhaul every 50k.
  • jeffmust2jeffmust2 Member Posts: 811
    That would be, let's see...your 5th Lexus?

Darn those dealers!!
  • ravlravl Member Posts: 129
    Thanks for the feedback, Avery. Maybe you're the one that made me think to try this? I guess the next question is which source do I believe more, the speedo or onboard computer?
    Dealer gets 5 in April but since I don't want the nav or the sunroof I'll likely have to wait.

Dealers: Hey, you have to buy the car somewhere, the secret is to never darken their door for anything but vehicle purchases or absolute necessities, like shop manuals.

Bought my 01 C4 over the internet, Greenlight, have never even met, been at, the dealership. Salesman, Daniel Brunty, was a nice enough person over the phone.

Looking ahead to the RX180/e that will be an even dozen.
    The speedo is a "real time" indication, use it for that. The OBC computes and displays an average, use IT for that.
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    If I put the speedometer as accurately as possible on 70 and zero out the trip computer, go for 150 miles on flat I5 and have the trip computer read 67mph it just makes me wonder which is accurate. Obviously not critical to have the computer super accurate but it raises the question.
  • sathomasgasathomasga Member Posts: 10
    Just getting ready to post this when I saw ravl's message above. I (finally!) replaced the Integrities on my 2001 RX with Bridgestone Dueler H/Ls. Haven't taken them on the highway yet (where the Goodyears drifted all over the road), so I'll hold off on any performance comparisons. But the gas mileage (at least what's reported by the trip computer) looks to be about 2 MPG less with the Bridgestones. I hadn't considered the possibility of different tires throwing off the computer. If not that, could it be simply that the Goodyears get better gas mileage? (That might explain why Lexus kept putting sub-$50 tires on a $35K+ vehicle.)
    Might be a simple "rounding", or even truncation, matter in the computation of average MPH. That OBC isn't a P4, possibly even an 8 bitter.

Or the programmer might have been thinking forward to the day that a WSP (Washington State Patrol) wanted to look over your "shoulder".
  • uis00snuis00sn Member Posts: 18
    Does anybody know how to reset AvMilesGallon on display? I''s stuck on 16mpg and there is nothing in the manual about it.

Thanks a lot, YG.
  • jiaminjiamin Member Posts: 556
    My 00 RX manual says on page 44 that { to calculate from the beginning, push the "INFO" button for more than 1 second. }
  • mooretorquemooretorque Member Posts: 241
    I haven't checked on tire weights but I'd suspect that ANY of the common replacement tires for the Badyears would be heavier than the Zerotegritys. A greater rotational mass would require more power to accelerate (and brake, for that matter, which is why one should look at upgrading brakes when going to significantly bigger wheels and tires) and would adversely effect mileage.

I think it's a worthwhile tradeoff, though.
  • borg1of2borg1of2 Member Posts: 90
    My book, 99 RX, also says to press and hold the Info button. You can do this on Average MPH as well. I have never reset my AMG, over 4 years now, and its steady at 20.5 MPG. I went 3+ Years with the Goodyears, and switched to Duellers almost a year ago. Noticed a little bit improvement. I think the big thing with tires on an RX is to keep the pressures in the correct range. Handling and gas mileage all improve.
  • gsenthilgsenthil Member Posts: 154
    I was on cruise at 65mph indicated by the speedometer; reset the Avg MPG and the display was at 63.2. I am inclined to think the OBC is more accurate- anyone have opinions otherwise?
    Personally I would believe the RX300 engineers/designers would spend a lot more time and effort making the speedometer accurate (as shipped)and have little concern about giving the programmers a good solid "spec" for an accurate average MPG estimate.

Try dividing 10 by 3 on an 8 bit processor and see where you MUST compromise by rounding or truncation
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Try dividing 10 by 3 on an 8 bit processor and see where you MUST compromise by rounding or truncation

Memory isn't that precious in the 21st century that 32 bit arithmetic operations can't be programmed into them. 8-bit processors were used to calculate pi to 100's of thousands of decimal places. ANSI FORTH, used to program many embedded devices, can easily handle 6 or 8 digits of accuracy.

tidester, host
  • jeffmust2jeffmust2 Member Posts: 811
    had Michelin rubber.

Thought you might want to know the factory's revised thinking.

Actually, just about every crossover SUV at the shows (Infiniti FX45/35, Nissan Murano, etc.) had Michelin.
    Yes, memory is cheap. But you forgot to bring up the issue of programmer time and the KISS principle.

If I wanted an accurate readout of speed, or average speed as a derivative, I would start by being absolutely sure the tires were always properly inflated, even cold vs hot.

The factory, not being able to assure those parameters with certainty, has no reason to attempt to provide "high" accuracy with an input "sensor" that has "normal" variations of 5% and absent operator attention as much as 10 to 20%

You can't provide or compute an accurate measurement from a sensor, tire circumference, that of itself isn't "accurate".

So don't waste the programmer's time.

I have beaten a few speeding tickets by asking the officer, in court, what his tire pressures were when he verified the accuracy of his speedometer vs when he clocked me.

Damn radar anyway.
  • kente2kente2 Member Posts: 12
    Is the general thinking we will have to wait until we can test drive the new rx330 to determine if the new rx330 has the same transmission hesitation problems as the es300?

This makes the remaining rx300's look pretty good, but my wife wants the latest and greatest!

Any thoughts.
    As in cruising along and then suddenly going WOT?

The MY2000 GS300 I had seemed to take a moment to "think" about just exactly what to do next when I did that.

I my opinion it's likely due to the engine ECU needing the time to retune/reset the engine parameters for balls-out WOT performance.

Manufacturers seem to be going the extra mile to achieve the best MPG and of course that conflicts with getting the highest HP at WOT.

SO when you "floor it" maybe it isn't transmission "hesitation" at all, but the engine ecu taking the time to adjust the intake plenum resonance and the VVTI valve opening/closing timing and duration.
    But you forgot to bring up the issue of programmer time and the KISS principle.

Oh, right! It might increase the total cost by $100 or so - pretty serious addition to cost of develping the vehicle! LoL!

tidester, host
  • rmd122rmd122 Member Posts: 21
    My dealer wants $850 for the 60K service. They use their own service list which is more than the owner's manual. It includes a new V belt and plugs. The owner's manual lists plug change at 120K.

Does this sound reasonable or am I beiing gouged?
  • rex4johnrex4john Member Posts: 17
    rmd122...as you probably know, it's not the cars that the dealers make the money on, it's the maintenance. IMHO, I would definitely stick to the owner's manual recommendations for 60K maintenance, NOT what the dealer thinks is needed. You know your car better than anyone else, if you think it needs new plugs, then get them. Otherwise, stick to the manual.

On the same subject, can someone tell me how much they paid for their 15K service? I'm bringing mine in tomorrow, asking them to do what's in the service booklet, not "their" version.

Thanks!
    Don't ask, TELL!

Have the service writer write into the work order that you only want service done that is recommended by the non-rough service schedule in the service manual. And I think most manual directs that the major service is at 90k miles.

Programmer time. Averaged over this many vehicles the additional cost (excluding the need to use the unloaded fifth wheel to get the additional accuracy) might be as little as $00.01.

But this is where micro-managing sets in, the person paying the programmer can only control costs at his/her level.

And in this case I certainly don't disagree with that, if the accuracy isn't there to begin with, you can't "write" it in.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The Edmunds Maintenance Guide will estimate what we think your service should cost.

Steve, Host

• rex4johnrex4john Member Posts: 17
    I did check out the Edmunds Maintenance Guide. In my area, the 15K is estimated at $148.00. That's a lot better than what my friend paid for his 15K...close to $600.00!

I'll definitely let them know what I WANT completed on my car.

Thanks again!
  • ncvolncvol Member Posts: 196
    Is the RX330 replacing the RX300, or is Lexus going to sell both?
    None of us have driven a 2004 RX330 yet, but I wonder if a person kept the transmission shift lever in "3" for city driving and speeds under 45 mph, and then shifted to "4-O" for highway driving and speeds above 45 mph if the transmission problems would be minimized? I do that in my current company car (2001 Buick Regal), and I believe the transmission does less searching for gears at that ackward 44 - 46 mph range. I understand that the Buick is a four speed, and not a five speed, but I wonder if the principle is the same.
          Concerning the decision about a new 2003 RX300 Vs a new 2004 RX330, I certainly agree with your wife that the 04 will be the latest and greatest in terms of being something new and different. A lot depends on what you are looking for. Mrs. Rogers and I only have a twelve pound miniature dachshund for a back seat passenger, so we do not need the increased length and width of the 04. The decrease in turning radius of the 04 would be nice. I read where some 04's will be built in Japan, and some in Canada. My first choice would be the Japan version. All 03's are built in Japan. Either car could have the dreaded oil gel problem, but I believe a four month/four thousand mile oil and oil filter change schedule will minimize that possibility.
  • kmhkmh Member Posts: 143
    The RX330 is the new, next generation of the RX300. So, after dealers sell off the RX300s on their lot, the RX330 should be rolling in.
  • rmd122rmd122 Member Posts: 21
    My 15K cost $500 at Lexus.

Does anyone know what the "torque sensing type LSD oil" is listed in the maintenance book?
  • jimxojimxo Member Posts: 423
    Lexus will announce they beat BMW by 3,000 units and MB by 20,000 units for 2002.

Congratulations to the people who produce and drive these fine automobiles
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    Lexus' success is well earned. Build well designed, well priced, highly reliable cars, and treat customers well--what a radical concept! I hope other car makers are paying attention.
  • gsenthilgsenthil Member Posts: 154
    Paid $90 for 15k (Oil Change/Tire Rotation/Inspection) at Toyota dealer.

Paid $250 for 30k at lexus dealer- I told them I wanted only the manufacturer recommended items, not what the dealer wants to do.

I think you might be able to get a better price for 15k if you tell the dealer what you exactly want.
    The PR letter put out by Toyota states that the engines in question have been modified so the oil gelling is considered to be no longer a problem. Don't remember the exact "run" dates of the mod but certainly 03, and 04 models shouldn't have the problem.

rmd122: Let me guess, your dealer has told you the torque sensing LSD oil needs to be replaced on a scheduled basis.

NOT!

Viscous Fluid. Is the oil used in VC type LSD and/or the RX AWD system viscous coupling. It is a silicon based fluid specially formulated such that it's actual viscosity doesn't change very much over a wide range of temperatures while its volume expansion rate with increasing temperatures is dramatic.

In the RX AWD system it is placed within a hermetically sealed case which in normal use is good for the life of the vehicle.
  • johngreisjohngreis Member Posts: 70
    I always use "save as" under the "File" menu and save these discussions to a folder to be read off line so as not to hog the phone (keeps roommate happy).
    Under this new format when I try to do this I receive a message stating "the web page could not be saved to the selected location." This makes wifie-pooh very unhappy.
    Anyone else having this problem??
    PS I also tried this on another discussion with the same results.
    I tried saving this page to my hard disc and found that although I can save, I lost three posts at the beginning of this page.
    Sorry no posts are lost, except the right side of this page which I think is a real-time ad. If I turn off my DSL box then this ad becomes non-displayable.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I don't read Town Hall that way so I can't say. Please ask in the Town Hall New Look! discussion.

Steve, Host
    Willard,
         The change that Toyota/Lexus made involved enlarging a part in the PCV system. Do you think that solved the problem, or is it possible that the cam gears are shearing the oil?
    I just tried that with Opera and this page saved with no problems whatever so the problem is probably browser specific. I suggest posting your problem in the place Steve mentioned - Edmunds is anxious to work out the bugs in the new look!

tidester, host
    I think that Toyota said, via the PR letter, that they had made some change in the engine design that would alleviate/eliminate the oil gelling/sludging problem.

Sorry, just simply didn't explore the issue any further than that. My 01 is going away soon in favor of an RX330 and then I'll stop being concerned altogether.
    Willard,
       Thank you for your prompt reply on the oil gel subject. Since Lexus is covering the 1999 - 2002 RX300 engines for eight years for oil gelling, I would assume they will cover 2003's and 2004's if it turns out that the minor change to the PCV system does not fix the problem.