Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 300

Comments

• djocksdjocks Member Posts: 124
    On the eve of making a decision on an SUV for my wife. She has always loved the look of the RX300. I was quoted yesterday a lease package of...

$1005.00 out of pocket and $499.00 a month. 48 months/48k miles.

Is this a good deal? Can I do better? What is the best you think I can do? And is it worth it (do you love your RX300 or do you wish you went a different direction)??????

Thanks for any help.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    I have never owned one but had two Cherokee Limiteds, an 85 and a 92. Our 92 is currently out in north central MT doing excellent duty on a cattle and wheat ranch. Absolutely stellar AWD & 4WD systems those. The JGC, in comparison to the RX, felt like the inside of a sardine can to us.

I really don't know anything about the JGC's newest AWD system.

I would not really recommend the Chrysler AWD series minivans to anyone except as an alternative to the RX or HL wherein great value/need is put on the AWD system.

I'm personally looking forward to my first drive in the new RX330 to see if the VSC/Trac ECU firmware is written to be aggressive enough for actual wintertime adverse roadbed conditions, such as we often encounter on the mountain passes here in the great pacific NW.

djocks...see above.
    djocks...residual is? lease buyout?
  • jiaminjiamin Member Posts: 556
    I have 00 RX(FWD) and 02 QX4(4WD). Never went off-road with either car. Only went to Reno/Tahoe in one winter for skiing with QX4. I like both for different purposes. If I drive mostly in city/freeway I'd want RX. It's quieter, better in every details. On freeway I almost never hear engine noise during acceleration. The ONLY thing I don't quite like is its shifter area/dash - remind me of the thing in mens restroom...

QX4 feels strong but not as quick. A little noisier/rougher than I espected but not too bad. Its paint quality is not up to that of Lexus'. They say QX4 is a man's car...

If I have to do it over again, and I can only pick one, I think I'd buy RX and rent QX4 for Reno/Tahoe...
  • devlopperdevlopper Member Posts: 44
    You're right. My 99 JGC did feel like I was packed into a sardine can. It took quite a bit of work to keep that thing straight on the freeway also. Not even close to the feel of the RX. HOWEVER, that Jeep was the absolute best in snow. I could be on a real greasy snow and punch down and that thing would bite in like it was dry pavement. Straight and true!

That is what I am looking for in my next SUV. That of course with the RX ride. Am I asking for too much? What about the Infinity FX drive system? Keep us informed, as you've been a great help to many of us.
  • borg1of2borg1of2 Member Posts: 90
    I love my RX, 99 with 66K miles.

I have been watching the boards and I think that doesn't sound like a good deal, but I am not an expert. If you post what you are looking for over on the Lease board, you will see what Lexus is offering, or you can post and Car_Man will assist you. I know the preferred lease is Zero money down, expect for title and maybe some misc fees. What is the price they are charging you, if its based off of MSRP, then its really not a good deal. You should negotiate to around Invoice and then make the finance deal using your negotiated price as the basis for the lease.

Good Luck
    I suspect, from what I have been able to learn, that the FX rear wheel torque biased AWD will be one of the best in the market. The V8 seems a waste given the HP of the V6.

Problem for me is its "Dodge ram-charger (formidable) nose, high-shouldered sides, and chopped top" (SC430 "butt ugly") appearance is such a great turnoff for me that I can't bring myself to even take one for a test drive.
  • crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    if you cannot get beyond the looks of the FX35, then you're missing a chance for one of the most exhilarating testdrives in an SUV.

I actually like the styling of it. I really suggest you testdrive it if you wanted to. You won't see the exterior of the FX from the inside anyway. ;)
  • kapouchkapouch Member Posts: 4
    Hoggrahn, the $32,673 (before trade) deal you struck on the purchase on 3/8/03 is one I'd like to duplicate as I'm looking at a loaded model w/o NAV!! What did it take to get the dealer to that price - I was thinking $34,000. would be a decent price?
  • aggiequeaggieque Member Posts: 11
    A dealer just offered us a fully loaded RX300 with Navigation for $36000. We are planning to lease the car. The deal is $4000 down, 48months, 15K miles for $449. Residual is 17,900 with .002 money factor.

We aren't crazy about the color but is this a good deal?
  • toysrjdtoysrjd Member Posts: 1
    Hello all, I think this site is GREAT! We heard about the good deals on the old rx 300 and decided to look into them. We really wanted a loaded version with navigation. It was really hard to find one. We did and the deal was:

2003 RX300 No money down..just first payment and taxes and title...
    48 months 15,000 miles per year
    $503.00 out the door.
    He sold it to us at $400 under invoice at $37,400.00.

Now is the time!!!! I love this car, the touch screen navigation ROCKS!!! Happy Shopping.
    I would suggest checking your numbers over on the Edmunds lease board. Car_Man will have the most recent Lexus financial numbers for March. I will also bet he will advise to not put any money down on a lease. Good Luck
  • kmhkmh Member Posts: 143
    My RX, going on 70K miles, feels like it starting to lose some of its luxury ride and comfort. I'm thinking of replacing the shocks and struts but want to know the experiences of other owners before I plunk down the cash.

Does anyone have opinions on which brand I should get? Please know that I don't really care to have a stiffer suspension put in - just merely get back the "new" car ride I had in the past.

thanks.
  • jrdowneyjrdowney Member Posts: 96
    I too have been contemplating an RX purchase. My target has been a 01 but I suspect that the remaining 2003 stock will be priced competetively in the coming months. Anyone have an idea of the remaining inventory? I would also like to hear about pricing deals, especially if the numbers start to be $4000 to $5000 discounts. Finally, do you think the used prices will drop off sharply as well?

Thanks,
    Jim d.
  • lrisrlrisr Member Posts: 8
    I was just offered via internet a quote from a local dealer: 37,200 with Nav and 35,700 w/out. According to Edmunds pricing invoice is 36,736 with Nav & Heated seats, 34,360 w/ the Premium Plus Value Package, heated seats and no Nav. I'll be doing my shopping this weekend so I hope I can talk them down to at least invoice for my lease.

I really, really like the deal Hoggrahn got but in my opinion, Aggieque even though the $36K price with Nav is great I think that $4K down for a lease is way too high according to what I've been reading on this site. Of course I could be wrong as I just educated myself on the fine points of leasing this past weekend so please take no offense!

LRISR :-)
  • mrrogersmrrogers Member Posts: 391
    I checked at www.carsdirect.com for new 2003 RX300 pricing. I used zipcode 91311 for Los Angeles, and got $35,700 for a FWD base car including freight. Invoice is $31,923. Cars Direct price is $30,323. I realize a stripped car does not exist, but the site would not let me add options for some reason.
        JM Lexus in Margate, FL claims to be the largest Lexus dealer. I searched his new RX300 inventory at his website: www.jmlexus.com. He has an unbelievable 248 new RX300's in stock!
  • hoggrahnhoggrahn Member Posts: 7
    I live in the Sarasota, Florida area and the Lexus dealer here is trying to get rid of the 2003 models. I bought a 2000 from them in 2000 and now three years later bought the 2003. They are advertising the 2003s this month at $6,400 off the sticker price. I then used my 2000 as a trade and was happy and they were happy. It seems they can't get the 2004s in any numbers until they sell the 2003s. They are also moving into a larger place in April. Give them a call and talk to Tom. You can also get close to the same deal in Fort Myers, Florida. Call them and talk to Gary. Go on line to the Lexus web site and then select dealers and then you'll have the number.
  • brs1brs1 Member Posts: 17
    Hi,

I will soon have to carry my parents' large dog
    in my sparkling clean 2001 RX300. I am trying
    to find a dog guard (metal or other net that is
    installed to prevent dog from jumping from the
    trunk to the seats), but I don't see any.
    Can anybody recommend me the source (store,
    internet site, anything) to get one?

Thanks a lot,
    brs1.
  • mrrogersmrrogers Member Posts: 391
    Mrs.Rogers and I attended the new car show at the Cincinnati Convention Center Friday. They had a light blue 2004 RX330 and a copper Infiniti FX35 parked within 100 feet of each other so comparisons were easy to do. I respect your opinion on FX35 styling, but I am curious if your better half has had a chance to see the FX35? Mrs. Rogers is positively smitten by the FX. Typically we play this game where the wife wants the luxury car, and the husband wants the performance car. The Infiniti seems to get it done on the luxury side according to my wife. It was fun to watch her walk back and forth between the two cars maybe five times, and even stop midway, and look at one, and then the other. I admit that we have not driven either car, and she may find that the FX35 rides too hard for her liking.
          The Inifini sales rep told us that the AWD reverts to RWD at 25 MPH. I could not find anything about that in their brochure or website. Does that sound right?
    Since the 2WD version of the FX is RWD I am satisfied that the torque bias will be to the rear as well as the 2WD "sub"-mode.

My wife also serves as VP of Finance at Strobe and in that role is always conservative on monetary issues, especially in these economic times. At this moment its going to be hard enough getting her to commit to an RX330, if at all.

So I doubt if I can get her into an Infiniti showroom absent some sort of subterfuge.
  • devlopperdevlopper Member Posts: 44
    IF FX does have the AWD system that I can appreciate it may be the one for me as I think it looks great. Certainly a test drive of the new RX is in order.

Keep us posted about what you learn with regard to its drivetrain.

Thanks Again!
    Hi All,

The lease board for the lexus has been closed. I am posting this to hopefully get some information of lease opportunities for the '03 RX300's.

I have been quoted to this point from one dealer a lease price of $1005.00 total out of pocket and $499.00 a month.

Please post if this is aggressive or any figures out there that are beating this.

Thanks
    Dave
  • crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    If your employer participates in the Nissan Vehicle Purchase Plan, you can get a sweet deal on the FX. For such an example see crikey "Infiniti FX45 / FX35" Feb 8, 2003 11:54am
  • kapouchkapouch Member Posts: 4
    Thanks, once again, hoggrahn for your insights on this subject as I try to come to a final deal on the 2003 RX 300 (w/o NAV, but all other options) today with another 4-5 inchs snow coming down here in Connecticut. If I could get the same deal as advertised in Sarasota, the car would cost, without haggling, about $33,100. I'd be real pleased with that, but doubt dealers up in this neck of the woods have anywhere near the same volume as your dealer.
    I'll advise where I land on this deal in the next day or so.
    Since you also owned a 2000 RX 300, thought you might opine on some of the other recent postings regarding tracking issues with the RX300 which seem to relate to the stock Goodyear tires. They seem to require replacement, with Michelins being the tire of choice, to provide stiffer sidewalls than the Goodyears.
    Kapouch,

I also live in CT. and I am trying to land an RX300. I have only begun looking and paid a visit to McDermit in East Haven. Again it was a lease of $1005.00 down and $499 a month. I have not looked at other dealers.

Have you had good or bad experiences with any of the four in the state. I live in Wallingford and Hartford is easy but I here the Greenwich dealer might be the most aggressive. Good luck with negotiating and I would appreciate any help.

dj
  • hoggrahnhoggrahn Member Posts: 7
    Kapouch,

The following is my previous post # 7153 concerning TRACKING PROBLEMS:

"I too had tracking problems when I bought the 2000 RX300. It came with the Goodyear tires and the car pulled to the right and at higher speeds seem to float around from one lane to another. Fortunately, the service manager tested the car and agreed to put some Michelin LTX M/S tires at no cost to me, and the tracking problem was solved. I chose the Michelins based on postings on this board. I did however have another problem, increased tire noise. The tires were mud and snow tires and they were very loud.

I just bought (3/8/03) the 2003 Rx300 complete, except without the Nav system, at a great discount ($32,673 minus trade) and find the same tires on the car as were on the 2000. At this time I don't have a tracking problem and the car has considerable less road noise than the 2000 with the Michelins and the ride is much smother.

At the first sign of trouble with tracking I'll put the Cross Terrains on it. Based on others' experiences, are the Michelin Cross Terrains as quiet and smooth as the OEM Goodyears? I'm afraid the tires will generate more noise and not be as smooth. Of course I'm sure they will track much better. Please provide some comments.

For those who are interested, my 3000 had a total average MPG after 35,500 miles of 21mp."

At 200 miles I've not experienced any tracking problems, but will let the board know if or when I do have problems.

I'd still like to hear any reports about the ride and quietness of the CrossTerrains compared to the Goodyears from those who switched. I know the handling and tracking will be much better than the Goodyear tires.
  • mooretorquemooretorque Member Posts: 241
    I replaced the Goodyears at 25k on my wife's 99 with the CrossTerrains and these have been on for 28k miles to date.

The CTXs are, both to my ear and my wifey's, as quiet as the Goodyears. The ride did not deteriorate (again, her car, so a major consideration) and all the wierd tracking issues resolved. For me, the car was actually more comfortable (at least when driving), since the increase in control and steering feel are very apparent. I might add that wifey now almost hates to take her car in for service, knowing that the loaner is going to feel floaty and vague in comparison. No increase in tread noise with the level of wear so far, either.

Highly recommended.
    I am going to try and post a link to the Lease Discussion board. There is a pending request for RX 300 lease evaluation. You can post your example as well and see what he thinks.

mfullmer "Lease Questions - Ask Here" Mar 13, 2003 11:23am
  • mikey00mikey00 Member Posts: 462
    TireRack rates Cross Terrains above Integritys in both ride and noise. I know they are better than the Duelers I replaced.
  • fantomfantom Member Posts: 211
    Michelin CTs are good tires, however they are no better than Bridgestone Dueler HLs. The non HL, older Duelers are frequently mixed in with the much better, new technology Dueler HL model.
  • pschiffepschiffe Member Posts: 373
    As suggested on this board, today I took my 99 RX to a Toyota dealer rather than a Lexus store for the 55K service. The difference, a slightly less opulent customer lounge and no gourmet coffee or quick and dirty car wash. And, oh yea, $22.95 vs. $118.46! Everything except tire rotation and I get Lifetime Tire Rotation on the Michelin CTs which I bought from BJ's.

Pete
  • esswebessweb Member Posts: 51
    Does RX require 93? or 87 grade is fine?
    thanx
  • pschiffepschiffe Member Posts: 373
    Click on the link:

irontoad.com

scroll down to Pet barrier

Pete
  • brs1brs1 Member Posts: 17
    Thanks Pete, this is just what I need.
    brs1.
    TireRack rates CrossTerrains above H/Ls in all 9 test catagories.
  • fantomfantom Member Posts: 211
    TireRack is far from a definitive or unbiased source of tire informaton. I will not bore you with the data. From my experience the Bridgestone Dueler HL is, at least, as good a tire as the Michelin CT.
    fantom, not to sound like I'm picking a nit, or on you, either, but TireRack's evals, near as I can tell, come from owner's ratings as well as TR testing. Granted there are some inherent flaws in self-rating (and I have no idea about the objectivty of TR testing) but at least we're talking about data compiled from a (large?) number of owners. Nor will I dispute your contention that the HL is as good as the CTX, since I haven't driven them.

However, your quote "From my experience......" is certainly as valid as any SINGLE owner's opinion but it is essentially anecdotal evidence. At least TR's owner's ratings represent some sort of consensus. If we want science, I'd say both you and TR fall short.

That said, I have no doubts that almost anything is better than the Goodyear rim protector supplied as original fitment.
    TireRack is not giving you their opinion. These are the survey results of 306 users with over 4 million miles driven on these tires. Better than 1 post on a message board.
  • gsenthilgsenthil Member Posts: 154
    Mooretorque: LOL@ Goodyear rim protectors. I like that!

I got Cross Terrains when one of my tires got damaged beyond repair and I felt that would be the right time to upgrade. I wish I had done that before. There is no noticable increase in road noise and a BIG difference in handling. The increasing handling (I also run them at 35psi) does make me drive a lil bit more agressively.
  • johnnieliujohnnieliu Member Posts: 34
    I am very much interested in getting an RX300 with NAV. With the RX330 coming to dealers any day now, can the '03 RX300 NAV be had at or below invoice?
  • psrinivpsriniv Member Posts: 41
    depends on where you live. example, for new jersey, carsdirect.com gives a price of $1000 below invoice. Normally carsdirect prices are about 1000 above dealers price range. On this basis you could probably get it for around $2000 below invoice. I remember some folks at towen hall posting prices of $33000.
  • lperilperi Member Posts: 1
    psriniv...

I am in the market to buy rx300 with out nav in the boston area...as of now, I am getting quotes starting at 36000 and the dealers are ready to go down little bit. I am wondering if someone has purchased new rx300 recently and what would be a good deal considering rx330 release next month.

Thx
    Peri
  • emc3emc3 Member Posts: 39
    does anyone know if the Highlander has one and, if so, is it the same size as used in the RX300? I don't have a local Lexus dealer so the Highlander filter, if it's the same, would save either a trip or a mail order.

TIA
  • lgrosslgross Member Posts: 55
    I want to purchase an RX330 in the next month. Can anyone one recommend a dealer that might discount in the Conneticut or Northern NJ area?
  • rparisrparis Member Posts: 368
    From what I understand there are very few, relatively speaking , RX300s around so dealers may not discount a great deal. I doubt they will discount the 330s at all for quite sometime as many are already presold.
  • lil4xlil4x Member Posts: 15
    With the 330 just now appearing in showrooms, we are already seeing discounts on the remaining 300s. Combine this with thousands of 300s coming off lease and a number of 300 owners wishing to trade up to the new model, and you will likely have a buyer's market for new or cpo 300s. Not the case for the 330s, which are being sold as quickly as they can be painted. Look for sticker+ for the next few months.
  • toydrivertoydriver Member Posts: 227
    I drive a '99 RX300 with 53,000 mi. I have noticed a squeaky,rattle under the car (probably from the suspension) becoming worse over the past 6 months or so. It is also much more noticeable during cold weather (below freezing) and when I start out in the morning. It occurs when going over small bumps and road imperfections. Didn't notice it when I bought the car (36,000 mi) from Lexus as a Certified used car with the 100,000 mi / 3yr warranty.
    Is this a strut issue? Is it covered by warranty?
  • bobfloydbobfloyd Member Posts: 32
    is probably strut supports. My front and rear have been replaced under warranty (2000 model year).
    bobfloyd is likely right. There has been an issue with the strut mounting brackets, both front and rear. There is a TSB regarding this and should come under your warranty. It is not dangerous to operate the vehicle (the struts won't suddenly fall out) but will get noisier with time. Ours were replaced fairly early (I believe sometime in the second year but I'm not where my maintainence files are at the moment) and have had no trouble since.
  • harapaharapa Member Posts: 6
    Found one for $34500 in Central NJ, Premium Plus package plus standard add on (MSRP is 40372.)