Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 300

Comments

• pschiffepschiffe Member Posts: 373
    Anybody had the green drive indicator lamp burn out? My 99 RX had this replaced at about 30K under warranty and it was a very labor intensive job as I recall. It's now out again at 58K and of course no longer under warranty. In all honesty, this is the ONLY repair issue I've had with this vehicle! Any suggestions? Thanks.

Pete
  • mooretorquemooretorque Member Posts: 241
    pshciffe, Wifey's 99 also has the same indicator light out, tho we've never replaced it. Seems like I've read over on CL of similar complaints, all on 99 models. No solutions other than replacement, though.

SHE's not complaining, so I've not explored options; ignoring it may not be the worst thing if Lexus wants a boatload of money in labor charges..........
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Very favorable, informative review in the July 2003 issue. Aficiandos and owners, check it out.

One point I found very interesting: the RX330 AWD and Sienna LE 8 passenger weigh within 50lbs of each other, and all acceleration testing shows that they perform almost EXACTLY the same, with the more aerodynamic Sienna holding a slight advantage as speeds climb.

~alpha
  • danrxdanrx Member Posts: 13
    Hello all,
    My 2000 RX is due for 30,000 (2.8 yrs old) service,according to the Owner's manual the Coolant and Brake Fluids should be changed at this time. BUT the Edmunds maintenance schedule does not mention replacement of these. I take my RX to Toyota for service so the cost would be less anyway BUT should I replace these fluids at this time ?
    thanks
    Danny
  • mooretorquemooretorque Member Posts: 241
    danrx, I'd follow the Owner's Manual recommendations simply because IF an issue arose in the cooling or braking system while still under warranty (for which you would presumably use your Lexus dealer), you might be up a creek without a shear pin trying to obtain service under aforementioned warranty...........
  • borg1of2borg1of2 Member Posts: 90
    My light went out around 55K. I lived with it for a while and then replaced it. I don't remember how much, but I agree it was a little on the high side. About 2 weeks after replacing it, it went out again. The dealership fixed it again, no cost to me. I then started noticing that after the car is shut off over night, my clock resets itself back to midnight. The dealership said it was my battery going dead. Well, that was about a year ago and I still have to reset my clock, but I haven't replaced the battery yet. I will be interested to see when I finally replace the battery if the clock remains on time. My gut tells me they did something with the circuit when replacing the D bulb. But that comes from a lack of confidence in car shops.

Good Luck with yours.

PS Mine is a 99 RX as well.
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    I guess I should feel lucky. 79,000 on my '99 and no problem with the bulb.
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    Two years or 30K miles is about right for most anti-freeze. Never heard of a scheduled brake fluid change but it's a good idea since brake fluid absorbs water over time.
  • 1roadwarrior1roadwarrior Member Posts: 1
    Thank you to all of you for all of the great information. After several months of research I just purchased my 2000 RX300. I am a 50K mile per year road warrior so I really needed to make the right decision. I have put 250-300K miles on a series of new Hondas and decided to step up to a nice used luxury car this time around. I was also considering a new Highlander, but the difference in ride with the RX300 was amazing.

I found a 2000 model with 46K miles on it at a "secondary lot" specializing in off lease luxury cars. I negotiated a $22k drive out price if it checked out at the dealership. It passed the 27 point inspection with flying colors, but thanks to the information from this forum, I paid the extra $50 to get the valve cover pulled to check for the sludging problem. Sure enough, it was caked! I took it back to the lot and was resigned to start looking again. The lot called the dealer and arranged for a brand new top end on the engine under warranty. Even though I was not buying from the Lexus dealer, I was very impressed at how quickly and efficiently they took care of the warranty repairs. They even checked it out for me when the Carfax report I pulled showed two minor accidents. I now own a car that is as good as new and a bargain compared to the new cars that I could have purchased for the same money.

I would like to know if any of you are at 100K or more miles yet, and any advice for getting 300K or more out of mine.
  • dougb10dougb10 Member Posts: 185
    We are looking to buy a low mileage 2001-2003 RX 300. Is there any significant difference between these years that I should be aware of? They all really look alike to me. My daughter has a 2000 model and my wife and I were really impressed when we borrowed it for three days during a visit to Vancouver.
    We would get the AWD version...not interested in Nav. This car would be a long term keeper, so any information would be greatly appreciated.
  • gsenthilgsenthil Member Posts: 154
    I think there are a few differences from 2000-2001 but after that there werent any changes. In 2003 they packaged the options differently.

http://www.lexus.com/cpo/model_library/rx_03.html
    http://www.lexus.com/cpo/model_library/rx_02.html
    http://www.lexus.com/cpo/model_library/rx_01.html
    http://www.lexus.com/cpo/model_library/rx_00.html
  • dougb10dougb10 Member Posts: 185
    Thank you for the feedback. It substantiates my impression that there were very few changes on those '01-'03 years.

Doug
  • mrrogersmrrogers Member Posts: 391
    Congratulations on the purchase of your RX300. I am glad you found the oil gel when you were still in a strong position to negotiate with the dealer.

I only drive 30K per year, so I am not up to your 50K standard. I assume those are highway miles, so 300K may be practical. My disclaimer is that Mrs. Rogers has not purchased a RX yet, so this discussion is not from any Lexus experience. It is good that Lexus replaced the upper half of your engine. Did they replace your oil pump? I purchased a 76 Pontiac Grand Prix "as is" one time with oil gel, and I ended up replacing the oil pump. I feel Lexus owes you a new pump. I suggest you change oil every 7,500 miles with Mobil1 synthetic oil. I would replace the transmission fluid with Mobil1 synthetic fluid. I would change antifreeze every two years. Each time you replace the front brake pads, I would drain out all the brake fluid, replace it with fresh fluid, and bleed the brakes. I would polish the car once or twice a year. I recommend Michelin tires as I find they have fewer out of roundness issues and require less re-balancing than other brands. I would replace the belts and radiator hoses every 75K miles. I would change the battery every two years. This schedule may seem like overkill, but you seem to have already discovered that depreciation is a bigger expense than maintenance, and it is cheaper to maintain a car than trade in frequently.
    Amen
  • bentwrenchbentwrench Member Posts: 27
    Just Curious- What is the rationale for semiannual battery changes as part of a preventive maintenance program? Is it a cold climate thing(of which I have had no experience)?
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Member Posts: 1,289
    Personally, changing a battery every 2 years is a waste of money. Typically a battery will last at least 4 to 5 years with no problems. Every 2 years is a total waste of $$$.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    None, just dealer money grubbing!

Same goes for ANY scheduled maintenance involving any fluids/lubricants/coolants other than engine oil prior to 100k miles, and doubtful even then.

Modern day vehicles, especially Lexus, have become so reliable that dealer service departments, especially (single marque = low volume) Lexus dealers, cannot survive on just required maintenance and repairs.

Anyone who advises you otherwise is most likely "shilling" for some dealer.
    When I a young man, six volt batteries used to give you some warning when they were starting to go. These twelve sealed batteries are like a light bulb. One day they are fine, then the next day they will not start your car. When I started driving 30,000 miles a year, I did not like this happening three hundred miles from home when I had a customer waiting for me. Maybe you could go two and a half years. I usually look for a sale on batteries, so the expense over the life of the car is not that much more.
    Years ago Road and Track magazine did an article on an owner of a Jaguar XKE. His advice was, "Beware of the so-called dealer!" My 2001 car has 75,000 miles, and has not been back to the dealer yet. I am not "shilling" for some dealer.

I will admit that I have not kept up with the issues involved with servicing ABS brakes, and when my wife's car needed rotors and pads, it went to a dealer I have known for years.
  • jrdowneyjrdowney Member Posts: 96
    Folks,
      On my 2003 RX I am hearing a soft sound coming from the driver's side dash area. Almost sounds like a vacuum line or something that keeps "recharging." There is a quiet, but noticeable hiss for a few seconds and then it fades out. Returns pretty regularly in maybe 30 second intervals (haven't timed it exactly). Can't really hear it when radio is on but otherwise you certainly can. Any ideas?

Jim d.
    Some follow-up. I'm fairly certain the sound is associated with the climate control system. Could it be related to the vent controls? Again,
    any help would be appreciated.

Jim d.
  • r1_97r1_97 Member Posts: 181
    A battery will usually last more than 2 years BUT, if it goes out (which mine did on my E320 after 5 years) you need a tow to the dealer for a new one and re programming windows, locks etc. a royal pain. It's unfortunate that there isn't a low warning devise available.
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Member Posts: 1,289
    r1_97,

You have to have windows, locks, etc. reprogrammed after you replace a battery goes bad...that's ridiculous.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    I'd imagine the sound you are describing, especially that you say it seems related to the climate control system, is the air conditioning condenser cycling on and off.
    ~alpha
    I believe only the radio pre-sets, clock and driving position system (if equipped) need to be reset after replacing the battery. The Customized Body Electronics System settings should remain unchanged in the body ECU.

Pete
    The automatic up/dowm (pinch detecting) windows forget where the end/stop position is when the battery is disconnected.

None of my vehicles go back to Lexus, EVER!

Regular oil and filter changes, brake pads, all DIY or aftermarket.
  • lil4xlil4x Member Posts: 15
    I thought the pinch detecting windows reversed on high current, indicating an impediment. I was only guessing, since I had a couple of incidents on my 300 where the passenger side window went up a little over halfway, bound, then reversed. A little silicon lube on the channels and rubber seals restored proper operation.
    alpha01 and others,
      If that is the source is it reasonable for the compressor to cycle so frequently? Also, I suppose I could notice that under the hood and will check. That seems to be the only issue with my "new" used 2003. Great vehicle by the way and well worth the multi-year wait (in my case at least).

Jim d.
  • trmgatrmga Member Posts: 50
    I'm very familiar with the sound you are describing. Have same sound on my '01 300. Many, many, posts ago I asked the same question about that sound. To me it seems to be coming from the area of the top of the drivers side window. Never have figured out what it is and must be getting used to it because I don't notice it as much as I used to.
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    Baydog,

Reason it says commercial is simple.. They are probably lease returns, in many states Leased vehicles flag on Carfax reports as commercial registrations as the car is resitered to a leasing COMPANY...

See? :)
    If the left panel air outlet is "almost" closed you will oftentime hear a slight air rushing sound. Also, the inside air temperature sensor near your right knee is aspirated via a suction tube back to the plenum but I wouldn't think that would be loud enought to hear.

THere is now a temperature sensor on the market that has an integrated micro-minature fan for aspiration but I don't know if Lexus is using that yet, but if so you would definitely hear it, lightly, in operation.
  • m45guym45guy Member Posts: 42
    I've been surfing for a used/new '02/'03, one with all-wheel drive and the nav system, gold or white in color, and just *cannot* find one. The nav system seems to be harder to find than I thought it would be. That, color, and drive system are the must haves.

Wife doesn't like the '04's styling, which is good, as it may save my wallet a significant amount of pain.

I'm willing to travel to get one, too...we're in Oregon, but most of the country is only about three days away, via motorhome. Would probably trailer it back, but you never know.....

So, where are you guys finding these?

Thanks!

Kelly B
    the orange display on the M45 nuked it from my 'want' list
    I found my "used" '03 using autotrader.com. Vehicle only had 8500 miles on it and was in perfect condition. It has the features and color you are looking for (Hey, make me an offer!). Just try various zip codes near major cities and see what pops up. I would concentrate on the northern states as that is where most of the AWD RXs end up. Good luck.
    The nav system is the hardest part to find.
    I don't limit my seach by mileage, either, I have it look *everywhere*. Can't believe you beat me to it!

;-)
  • jeffmust2jeffmust2 Member Posts: 811
    There's a guy that posts on the RX boards every week...he has a near-new RX AWD with Nav...and hates the Nav so much he's getting a new RX330 without...bet he'd make you a great deal...

Now...what was his name...Sid South? no...Ned North...no...Eddy East...nah, that ain't it.

Oh well.

Sorry.
    These RX boards? I'll go hunting, if it's here. Even if it's not, just point me to where he might be, if you would....

I found one, down in Reno, but, alas, it's already sold. Had high miles for an '02, 32K, anyway, so....

Same Reno dealer has a couple from Jackson, WY, looking for an '04, and their '02 jibes with my desired equipment, so I might be in the right place, at the right time, for a change. What a concept. Better not get accusotmed to it....

;-)
    Can you tell me if the center screen/display thing looks at all different if you *don't* have it vs. if you do? I've been looking at cheesy pics on autotrader.com, and I'd swear it looks like the nav-equipped ones have screens which are less recessed into the the dash housing.

Am I starting to hallucinate?

Kelly B
    wanna own a '55 Cadillac to go with the RX...
    non-nav systems have a simple monochrome LCD screen.
  • bradsteilbradsteil Member Posts: 6
    I was wondering if anyone has experience the following situation on their RX300.

When my RX is cold and not ran for several hours, when I start it up, for the first 30 seconds or so, it runs ruff and then it is ok. I have taken it into my dealership to check it out and they stated that 1) They could not recreate it and 2) Unless the engine service light comes on, they would not be able to look into the computer to see what is happening.

They thought that maybe water might be in the gas and that I should run it to empty and then put some high grade gas in and then put a can of HEAT in it. I would think that if it was water in the gas tank, it would run ruff all the time and not just when it is cold but maybe not. Someone else thinks that they (dealership) can still read into the computer and see what the readouts are when the engine is cold and see if there is an adjustment for the air/gas needs to be performed. I will be trying the high grade gas and some fuel injector cleaner in the next tank and see what happens maybe over a tank or two and see what happens.

Any comments on this problem that I am experiencing would be great.
    Can you tell me if the center screen/display thing looks at all different if you *don't* have it vs. if you do? I've been looking at cheesy pics on autotrader.com, and I'd swear it looks like the nav-equipped ones have screens which are less recessed into the the dash housing.

Am I starting to hallucinate?

Kelly B
    wanna own a '55 Cadillac to go with the RX...
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    If you decide to pour some additive in your gas tank, check and make sure it's safe for your fuel system. I've heard that the stuff in the old yellow bottles isn't good (alcohol content?), but the red bottles are fine. Anyone know the technical skinny?

Steve, Host
    Some may recall that I posted regarding the out-of-warranty burn out of my dash "Drive" light. I contacted Lexus directly via the owners website:

Lexus Owners

I requested that they consider "after warranty assistance" as suggested elsewhere on edmunds.com. A prompt e-mail reply was received from a Customer Satisfaction Representative indicating that they would pursue this with my dealer. I received a call from the Service Manager today, stating that they had experienced "several" such failures and inviting me to bring the vehicle in for no-charge repair under warranty! Thanks Edmunds.

Pete
  • jiaminjiamin Member Posts: 556
    If quite a few cars with Green "D" Indicator Light burnt, it could mean the bulb is not derated enough enough in their design. Don't know if it's LED type or not, but looks like it is.
    Hello everyone,
      I will be moving away for about one year and will not be taking the RX with me. It will be driven occasionally by my father-in-law but will sit idle during the winter (maybe 4-5 months). What do you suggest for the proper way to store the vehicle for that length of time?

Thanks
    Full fuel tank to prevent condensation and change the oil immediately upon firing it up in the spring. Has worked very well for my 78 911.
    Inflate the tires to 50PSI- the higher PSI during storage keeps the tires from getting flat spots from sitting so long.

MAKE SURE your inlaw knows the higher pressure and doesnt drive it with 50PSI!
  • kwhkwh Member Posts: 68
    Like west says, my boat mechanic strongly suggests filling the gas tank up completely for the winter. He says he sees quite a few condensation problems from near empty tanks left sitting all winter.

Also after reading the posts here I looked and sure enough the d light was burned out - all others working ok. don't know if I would have noticed without seeing it here on the board.

I sure would like to get another RX (looking for 1999) if I can find one cheap enough. The CARMAX in Raleigh had one for 14,995 last week but when I called they told me it sold the first hour it was on the lot.
  • verongverong Member Posts: 1
    I've had my 1999 RX300 for about 4 years and haven't had any major problems. It has 100k + miles and last year around May I started having problems with it starting up then stalling out, less often it doesn't start (usually after heavy rain) and I have to give it a little gas. This also coincided with me starting to travel 150 miles instead of 75 miles a day to work. I keep up with the service but the dealer couldn't find any problems. Winter came around, not a single starting problem now June is here the weather is hot and it's starting to do it again. (I live in NJ)
    Has anybody experienced any similar problems?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Replaced your battery lately?

link

Steve, Host
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    I have a '99 and mine did the same thing twice after a 60,000 service. I brought it in for them to check and they couldn't find anything. It did the same thing about a month later one time and no problems since. I have about 80,000 on it now.