Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 300

Comments

• dick1dick1 Member Posts: 21
    the battery is fine. got juice. can't get it out of park. tried everything. just goes click click real fast. was fine yesterday.
  • mikey00mikey00 Member Posts: 462
    Don't be to quick to discount the battery. Many have been fooled by the battery on the RX by applying what they have experienced with batteries in previous vehicles. It tests good even sometimes load tests good but causes problems. You didn't respond about the clock, but as I have said if it reset, change the battery. The clock resetting thing is almost always a early indicator of battery failure in the RX. If you have the original Panasonic battery in a 2000 you are overdue. A new Kirkland battery is only $39 at Costco and made by Johnston Controls makers of the Optima. $39 is cheaper than any troublrshooting you can do and I bet it fixes your problem.
    You can also swap the battery with a known good one from your other car or at least try a jump start.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    "back it out of the garage and then it died....and wouldn't start"

You can't get it out of park without applying the brakes. Applying the brakes actuates a tiny 12 volt solenoid that releases the lock which will allow you to shift out of park. Keep in mind that when you step on the brakes the brake lights come on and it is entirely possible that the ABS pumpmotor will also start to run. Thats lots of load current through your corroded battery terminals.

There is a little plastic cover near the shifter that can be removed so you can release/unlock the shifter manually.

With "no juice", corroded battery terminals, the solenoid will not release.

The fact that the engine started initially indicates, most likely, that the battery terminals are corroded.
    Thanks everyone! Went and bought a sears die hard battery.That was the problem. thanks again!
    Much more likely that it is common procedure at Sears to clean and burnish the battery terminals when installing a new battery and that would have solved your problem to begin with.

But.

Happy motoring.
  • mikey00mikey00 Member Posts: 462
    Just curious, did your clock reset with your initial problem? And did you still have your original Panasonic battery?
  • kmk330kmk330 Member Posts: 1
    What is the typical charge for 30K service? My dealer quotes $400
    and anyway to get it done cheap? Thanks
  • pschiffepschiffe Member Posts: 373
    $400 doesn't sound out-of-line. Toyota dealers are often less expensive than Lexus stores for the same service and parts. No gratis loaner or quick-and-dirty car wash though!

Pete :)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check the estimate given in the Edmunds Maintenance Guide too.

Steve, Host
  • lwessonlwesson Member Posts: 1
    I'm wondering if it's time to replace the battery on my 2001 RX300. It only has 12,000 miles (driven for short distances approx 4 times/week) and has been routinely taken in for maintenance/checkups every 8-12 mos. Thanks in advance for any advice, comments.
  • erik_herik_h Member Posts: 77
    The sure sign it needs to be replaced is when the clock resets after you start the vehicle. This is a useful quirk with the RX.
  • tccctccc Member Posts: 13
    I have a 2002 rx that I wish to increase hp. Has anyone installed a chip to do this? If so, what were the results and where can I purchase one?
    Your can install a 1/4 watt 300 ohm resister in series with either pin 4 or 5 of the MAF/IAT module mounted on the intake runner just downstream of the intake air filter.

Your highway fuel economy will decrease from ~22MPG to ~20MPG, unless you figure a way to only have the additional resistance in place during WOT operations or in the alternative when the throttle is above idle and the torque converter lockup clutch is not engaged.

I Don't have any idea what level of HP improvement that indicates.
    I have grown suspicious of late that the ATF problem might be related to the VC, viscous clutch.

The viscous clutch was dropped from the design of the RX330 and remained that way for the entire RX330 production run.

Now I see that the new RX350 again has the VC incorporated within the PTO.

When the VC was dropped for the RX330 series the F/R final drive ratios were also revised, giving more engine torque bias toward the front. Now with the RX350 the RX300 final drive ratios are back in use again.

Some of you have noted, I'm sure, that the PTO has numerous heat disapating vanes/fins incorporated externally on the case. The way the VC operates is that differing front and rear driveline rotational rates result in "churning" the viscous fluid which heats it fairly rapidly. The fluid is formulated such that its volume would expand dramatically with temperature. But since it is hermetically sealed within the VC canister instead of expanding the fluid pressure increases dramatically. That results in an increased coupling coefficient between the two sets of clutch plates causing more of the engine torque to be routed toward the rear. With the rear driveline "overdriven" (versus) the front, the increased coupling coefficient has a more dramatic affect on torque distribution to the rear than it would otherwise.

But what if the heat generated by the VC could not be wicked away by the cooling fins as rapidly as necessary to keep the PTO's 90 weight from over-heating and then passing that heat on to the ATF in the adjacent diff'l case?

Somewhere after about 1999 Toyota adopted the transaxle shift procedures proposed by Sierra Research to improve fleet average fuel economy by 9.8%. I have no doubt whatsoever that the adoption of those technique lead directly to the later adoption of DBW to protect the "drive train".

What if, between the two, the heat contribution from the VC, and the additional clutch use/wear due to the additional shifts required to get the 9.8%, the result was "inadvertent", unforeseeable, premature transaxle failures in our AWD RX300s?

Has anyone yet seen, looked over, the PTO case in the new RX350?

Additional cooling vanes, maybe?

Or did the adoption of DBW in the RX330 solve the ATF "problem" and leaving out the VC turned out to be needless?
    Just after I walked away from posting the above a new thought occurred to me.

The ATF in the diff'l case has a separate drain plug, must be drained separately from the transaxle itself.....

Could that possibly mean that the ATF within the diff'l cannot very freely circulate with/into the main transaxle case? If so then it becomes even more probable that the fluid "trapped" in the diff'l is being overheated via the nearby/adjacent PTO case and then slowly over a long period remixes with the bulk of the ATF.

The ATF in the "main" transaxle case is being continuously circulated through the external ATF cooler in my AWD RX300.
  • aggieprideaggiepride Member Posts: 1
    I am in the market for a 2002 Lexus RX300. What was the final verdict for your VSC and check engine light problem? Thanks.
  • la4meadla4mead Member Posts: 347
    I'm curious to know how the problem on this one played out as well, however it doesn't sound like a widespread problem with this line of cars based on the concerns from other owners. I don't think this is a reason not to consider the RX300.

Sometimes you can find one that has at least a small amount of the balance of the factory warrantee left, just in case all is not as it seems. That may help give a little piece of mind. If not, rest assured, you are choosing one of the more reliable units.

Some tips... Mechanically thoroughly check the car including the transmission fluid condition. Also, this model's engine can be subject to a "sludge" problem, only from extended idling and if not maintained properly, so look for proof of engine and transmission oil changes at early intervals (5000 or less for engine, nice pink to red trans fluid) and signs the car was not used for lots of stop-and-go use (lots of brake pedal and back seat wear, etc.) regardless of how low the mileage on the odometer is, and your experience is far more likely to be worthwhile than most other models! :)
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A national newspaper is looking to interview consumers who have had to replace a car key, which ended up costing over $200 or $300. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Monday, April 2, 2006 containing your daytime contact information, the cost to replace your key along with the make and model your vehicle.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
    The xenon bulbs they sell on ebay seem to easy to install?
    Ithought you need new ballasts ect. They say you just change bulbs?
    Check this website:

http://www.lextasy.com/rx300_parts_31_ctg.htm

about halfway down, they have HID conversion kits including bulbs, ballasts, wiring, and instructions. They claim it's really easy for the owner to install. The price is marked down, too. Let us know what you think! Aftermarket parts for RX's are so hard to come by... :shades:

P.S. I've mever ordered from them yet, I was just hunting for an old site I used to get parts from, but didn't find it.
  • nesqmannesqman Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a 2002 RX300 with 37K miles. Should I consider an extended warranty? If so, who are some reputable insurance companies? Worried about expensive repairs- My first Lexus.
    Check out the Extended Warranties discussion while waiting for replies in here.

Steve, Host
    Congrats on your first. Likely you still have some of the balance of the factory warrantee left, right? At least it will give you some peace of mind while you check out the car fully. You will want to evaluate your risk based on a pretty reliable model, balanced against the cost of the extended warrantee.

I've not found I had any expensive problems after my '99 (first year) went out of warrantee, and I didn't buy one when I bought the car new.

You can also check the cost with a Credit Union if you are a member. I'm a member at a few CU's and each work with companies that offer coverage. Make sure you compare the policy's coverage.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A large local newspaper is looking to interview consumers who purchased a Lexus, Toyota or Scion vehicle and what led you to purchase that vehicle. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, April 5, 2006 containing your daytime contact information, along with the make and model your vehicle.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
  • smilinjacksmilinjack Member Posts: 1
    I'm trying to recharge a very dead battery in my Rx300 (2000). When I connect the charger, the horn starts honking. Lexus service said clean battery terminals & try again. I did; no go. I also tried disconnecting battery and charging it, then reconnecting, but horn honks repeatedly when I reconnect the charged battery. Obviously this is a security-related issue -- is there some special procedure I need to employ? Thanks!
    Use your key to lock and unlock the drivers door, the horn will stop.
    Today I opened the fill plug for the PTO on my 2001 AWD RX300 (56,589 miles). The transfer case lubricant is pristine, absolutely no indication of overheating, no burned odor, no contamination, etc.

So the VC is NOT, indirectly or otherwise, the source of the burned and contaminated ATF in the nearby diff'l case.
    How long has it been since the last change? (sorry I'm coming in late on this).

Is there a noticeable mechanical malfunction or does it just burn fluid?
    My 2001 AWD RX300's ATF looked contaminated and smelled burned at ~38,000 miles. Changed out the ATF twice before getting clear/clean ATF. Looking into why RX300 transaxles appear to be failing at ~70,000 miles and above.
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    I hope I'm not jinxing it but I am at 128,000 on a '99 and no problems so far. I have only done minimum mentioned in manual at service intervals. I wonder what the variables are.
    FWD or AWD....

The votes seem to be in favor of the premature failures being predominantly on the AWD version...
    So perhaps now with keeping clean fluid changes, maybe it's making a difference... Let's hope so. AWD, too may contribute to the need for more fluid changes.

My friend has 2000 AWD with over 100,000 miles, no problems.

I've been changing mine more often since Lexus replaced the (FWD) trans under warrantee due to a TSB made worse by three incidents of dealer neglect, the unit still worked just not smoothly.

Now each time I change the fluid, it's more worn (just slightly burned looking) than I think it should be for it's age, and that's after I added additional cooling.

After hearing from you, I'm going to be changing mine at least annually, just to be safe.
    Mine is AWD.
  • jrdowneyjrdowney Member Posts: 96
    I would like to update my RX300 AWD navigation DVD. I have looked on e-bay and see many listed but don't know which version/generation, etc. is correct. How do I determine which one is right for my vehicle? Any other good places to get one? I don't care if its a year or so old.

Thanks
  • browntdbbrowntdb Member Posts: 1
    I am seriously considering the purchase of a 2001 RX300 with 60k miles. The car has been very well maintained. It is an AWD model V6. I would like to know what I can reasonably expect as far as engine life if the vehicle continues to be well maintained with regular oil changes and scheduled maintenance?

Any other impressions/suggestions?

Thanks,

Terry
    Where is everybody?
  • cookie25cookie25 Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone give me a ball park figure of the going price for a 60,0000 miles service. I have a 99RX V6 AWD with 59,485 mileage I have a lexus dealer I don't trust.

Thanks,
    Cookie
    There are two different services. One the dealer will want to sell you and the one listed in the warranty book as suggested by Lexus. Ask them to price both.
    There is no Lexus dealer that can be trusted insofar as an opportunity to get into your pockets. If you must use the dealer for service make sure that the service writer puts the correct and complete directions as written in your owners manual for non-rough service on the write-up.
  • dr_skidr_ski Member Posts: 4
    I accidently let my key go through the washing machine cycle. It seems to work fine (remote lock/unlock/and starting). Has anyone else ever done this? Have you had any problems or should I anticipate any problems in the future? I don't want to get stranded.
    You may wish to get a quote from a Toyota dealer. Same parts and service, generally less expensive, but no quick and dirty car wash or loaner. You can also use The Edmunds Maintenance Guide to estimate the cost:
    Edmunds Maintenance Guide

I'd remove the tiny screw and cover from the key bow using a jewelers' #00 Phillips screwdriver and then remove the transmitter sub-assembly module from the key. Make sure it is dry and free of corrosion and perhaps replace the battery. Replacement is a 3 v. lithium coin battery: Duracell DL1616, Evereaday ECR1616, Panasonic CR1616 or equivalent.

• dr_skidr_ski Member Posts: 4
    I took everything apart and everything was totally dry. There is even a rubber O-ring on the battery cover door. No moisture or condensation. With the O-ring, I suspect Lexus thought about the water potential in advance.
  • lucian95lucian95 Member Posts: 11
    I have a 2002 AWD model, due for a 90K service. I'm aware that replacing timing belt is a required service. However, I was also advised by a dealer to consider replacing the water pump ($385). Does anyone have any experience with water pumps in Lexus cars, especially with high mileage cars?

Thanks for your advice with these questions.
    I had the water pump replaced along with the timing belt on 90K service on my 99RX FWD last fall. I got a special package price of $989.95 parts and labor plus tax from my Lexus dealer which included:

timing belt replacement
    water pump replacement
    drive belt replacement
    oil and filter change
    replace coolant
    replace brake fluid
    replace transmission fluid
    inspect AC system, ball joints, chassis and body
    check differential fluid
    road test
    loaner
    car wash

I was told the regular a la carte price for these service items would have been $1,488.95! I was also advised that it is cheaper to replace the water pump when doing the timing belt since the pump runs off the belt.

You should also check w/Toyota dealers. I felt good when I paid $985 at the local Toyota dealer and then found that I could have gotten the same thing at another Toyota dealer an hour away for $685.
    The Edmunds Maintenance Guide says the 90,000 mile service for a FWD '99 RX 300 should cost $334.22 in my zip code.

It looks like the 5,000 mile services run around $110 each.

Steve, Host
    Does that include the timing belt? If I recall they don't actually recommend that in the manual. I think I did that at 120,000.
    Anyone EVER experienced a timing belt failure in a Toyota or Lexus in the past ten years...?? Certainly don't remembe seeing any posts to that effect.

Changed out the timing belt in my 92 LS at ~150,000 miles and it looked as if it would be good for that again. I don't plan on addressing the one in my 2001 RX300 until about that mileage.