Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 300

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The Guide included replacing the timing belt at 90,000 miles for the FWD RX 300 that I looked up; in fact, that was about 2/3rds of the cost of the service. The small print says:

"The facility that services your vehicle may perform different, greater, or fewer procedures that can affect the cost you incur."

Steve, Host
  • lkatkinslkatkins Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I am a new Lexus SUV owner. I recently purchased a 2002 RX300 and was very pleased with the entire process and feel I got a very good deal. However, the one item that's missing is the NAV. What I wanted to know was: 1. Would it be advantageous to purchase the NAV and, 2. What is a "ball park" total cost figure including installation?
    Thank you in advance and, I think I will never drive anything less :-)
  • pschiffepschiffe Member Posts: 373
    I don't know if this is available to be dealer-installed, check with the parts dept. at your Lexus dealer. The "NV" navigation system option, factory installed, has an invoice of $1,980 and MSRP of $2,350 for the 2006 RX330; for the 2007 RX350, invoice is $2,225 and MSRP $2,650.

Pete :(
  • sandeep4sandeep4 Member Posts: 1
    I hear a rattling sound coming out of the engine / air conditioner. I think it must be some belt. Any ideas. It comes on for a few seconds then goes away..more predominant while idling.
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    My RX has a growling rattling sound coming from the dash/ac area and I've been told it is problably a motor for one of the gates or fans controlling airflow. I have been living with it for a number of months because they say they have to take out the dash to fix it and it will be expensive.
  • mylexus1mylexus1 Member Posts: 1
    Can anybody from Houston, TX recommend where I can take my RX300 - 2000 for a little fender bender repair before my hubby notices it?
  • dick1dick1 Member Posts: 21
    Go buy a new car!
  • rick53rick53 Member Posts: 1
    I need to replace the tires on my 2002 RX 300. Not sure which ones to get - one store quoted my a Michelin for $200+/tire...not sure though is these are necessary or even if Michelin is a good SUV tire. Thoughts and experiences from others? Thanks.
  • la4meadla4mead Member Posts: 347
    My ’99 RX300 sat a few weeks at a time while I was not driving after some surgery. I kept the battery up, but now I have a sluggish driver’s door lock solenoid. I sprayed lube in the RR door latch, and it was cured and seems fine for months now, but the LF (driver’s) solenoid is sluggish, although the lock works correctly when latched manually or with the key. This is a recurrence of a problem the car had about August of 1998 when it was new and under warrantee, and I was dealing with a dealer whose many fixes on one of the first RX's were merely cosmetic, although this one lasted longer than the other repairs they made.

I have the door panel mostly apart with the intention to either clean or lube the actuator and components, or just replace the solenoid if needed. However, I have not yet been able to remove the interior panel.

I removed the wood switch panel and the screw behind (with some work!) but the interior panel seems to be hung up at the inside door handle.

I removed the screw behind the interior handle holding the plastic backing trim piece, and knowing prior Toyotas, I am assuming that plastic piece needs to be removed so the door handle can pass through the panel when it is removed from the door. I just haven’t been able to find how to remove it without damaging anything. I tried prying it up with nylon spatulas so I wouldn't damage anything, but it's not budging.

Is there another clip holding the panel at the inside door handle (or trim piece)?

Does the trim piece behind the door handle need to be removed from the panel to allow the handle to pass through? If so, can you say how?

Any and all suggestions and/or details are appreciated!
    I hope this helps to alleviate some mystery because I think others have come across this problem. With the help of a very kind fellow Edmunds member who went out of his way and was prepared with a repair manual when I should have been, I was able to find the hidden snaps and catches. Also, I'm adding some information that wasn't included to save some frustration. I want to share this information in case someone else wants to have a go at it because I found out that the sluggish power drivers door lock solenoid is common part to need replacing in the otherwise fairly reliable car.

The guy at the Lexus parts counter admits the driver's door power lock solenoid fails at a higher than usual rate as the RX ages; he said they went through six of these just last week, and the customer waiting behind me in line said his 2001 RX had the same problem, so he's just been locking the car manually. I guess no one ever got stranded because the power door lock didn't go on it's own, but I like everything to work right, so I wanted to fix it.

You have to buy and replace the entire latch (lock assy 6904048020). The solenoid also contains the light switches & a window switch that's operated by the key from the outside, however Lexus does not sell the solenoid (power door lock actuator motor) separately. The list price is over $300! The parts guy was really understanding that I had another dealer already replace this item once and it failed again (however that was 8 years ago), and that I only wanted the solenoid which is not how it's sold, so he offered 15% off to shut me up. Needing the part, I thanked him and took him up on it.

To remove the door panel, start with the window up and disconnect the battery because the lock solenoid will activate the window when the lock rod is moved, and that's when your hands/tools are in there. Besides the obvious screws at the bottom and upholstery pins, you need to remove the inside door handle "bezel" by removing the screw, pushing the tabs in at the top and bottom of the corners nearest the lock button and prying it out and toward the rear (it has a slotted clip behind it). That's what was really holding things up for me. Then remove the wood switch panel by carefully prying upwards at the very top with a cloth covered screwdriver, unplug and remove. Remove the screw from behind the panel. Then remove the courtesy light by pushing the screwdriver between the panel and the light on either side, so you can unplug and remove it. At this point the door panel can be unclipped, tilted up, removed, cleaned, and set aside.

After the panel is out of the way, to replace the lock/solenoid assy, remove the inside handle (it's self-explanatory), and disconnect it from the cables. Warm the mastic slightly, and peel back the plastic barrier. Remove the bolt at the bottom of the window track nearest the lock. The track will move freely, and you can hang it up on the side-impact beam. Now the slightly awkward part: Remove the two rods that go from the lock cylinder and the exterior handle down to the latch (lock assy). You unclip the plastic clips at the top, swing them sideways, and pull the rod out of the hole for each one. Unscrew the lock using a #30 Torx bit, swing it sideways so you can unplug the two connectors, and remove the whole assy, including the two cables that go to the interior lock and handle, and two rods that go up to the lock cylinder and exterior handle. Now you are ready to replace it with a new one!

Yeah! Now everything works like a new Lexus should. :) Thanks again Pete, and best luck on the new RX350. :shades: I hope it's just as trouble-free, except they improved the lock solenoids.
  • bigjattbigjatt Member Posts: 5
    I just purchased a 1999 RX300 and have a hitch receiver installed. I need to wire the trailer lights etc via the pigtail on the trailer. The trailer has two break/tail lights and four little side "orange lights". I know the RX does not have a buiilt in harness to tap into. Could some one direct me to a source for the parts and wiring instructions to connect a trailer to the 1999 RX 300. I am pretty handy with electiral and mechanical work so would like to do it my self. Thanks in advance

:confuse:
    I posted complete instructions on this way back on 9/4/99 but it seems that it is no longer archived! I have a hard copy and since it was rather lengthy it would be easier if I just sent you a pdf. Email me with your eMail address and I'll be glad to send it to you.

Pete :)
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    ...but it seems that it is no longer archived!

It's still archived but our archives are temporarily offline. They will return when some system performance issues are resolved.

tidester, host
    Please visit the Lexus RX 300: Real World MPG discussion and give us a gas mileage report. Thanks,

Steve, Host
  • licuananlicuanan Member Posts: 1
    Bought a 2001 Rx300 with a Nav. have 57K miles. wife's car. Nav working very well. Had to change battery. April 2006. Nav started to wonder, I would reset (Dealer calls it Recalibrate and to do it for $80.00.)still wonders. Went to a dealer about the problem. Was told problem was the DVD paid $387.00plus $57.00 to take 2000 Dvd and insert new CD. Then was charged for recalribrating. Did not work. was told that it is the antenna had to be changed.$188.00 plus tax. Did not have in parts. Next day tech said that he had to do a diagnosis, cost $300.00 plus parts. I ask how much, they said they would given me a price after, may be $400.plus parts. So,here I have a Nav no direction.

I wonder if someone can guide me. When turn off motor and restart, I will be 35 miles away from where sit. I reset and it is okay. Then it would change and I notice that the compass would change direction, from North to south. and I am 40 miles away again. What can be the problem? Thank you.
  • joanziejoanzie Member Posts: 51
    Has anyone ever had a problem with the windows on their RX 300? Mine is a 2001 and I had to have the drivers side motor replaced! Naturally this happened after my warranty was up! Joanzie
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Too many toll stations..??

Or maybe McD drive throughs...
  • lynch130lynch130 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 RX300 with 130K miles...always maintained well....engine check light came on and the dealer wanted $150.00 just to run the diagnostic....I told him to forget it since the problem could be poor gas, a loose gas cap or something else very minor...anyone know where you can get the diagnotic read other than lexus itself?
    I have e-z pass and never go to Mc donald's I guess I got a bad window Lexus. They did give me a brake on the repair as they said it should not have happened.
    At that mileage I would guess that you need a new oxygen sensor or two.
    Remove and clean Mass Air Flow (MAF) Meter located on top of air cleaner, worked for me! Very simple procedure, search for further info, this has been discussed previously.

• sen8sen8 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know what I can use to clean the roof and side panels of my RX 330 (interior)?

Thanks,
    Sherry :confuse:
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Auto Zone will analyze it for you free.
    Hi Pete,

I too, have been working on this little project. I've been hoping the archives would come up by now so I didn't bug you again, but now I need to do something soon.

My '99 RX came with the standard "towing package" but that doesn't include the wiring. Thanks for any help you can offer!
  • enjetienjeti Member Posts: 25
    I have the same problem as well with our 2001 RX, but it's the front passenger side. Dealer always said that they could not duplicate the problem and finally last week I was able to prove it to him that there is a problem with it. They are replacing the motor next week.
    The dealer replaced my motor also, since it was out of warranty they only charged me labor to install. Actually it is still not right with the new motor but works. When the window is down half way and you click the button to go up it now goes down and then up, but I am not going back as ling as it does go up eventually! I thought I was the only one that got a bad motor! Thanks for posting!
  • jrdowneyjrdowney Member Posts: 96
    Hello to my fellow RX fans. I was in D.C. last week and AC in my 2003 RX was working fine. Parked the car for a two-hour meeting. Got in and started for the drive home (another two hours) and suddenly had no AC, just lots of HOT air! Checked relevant fuses but all were ok. The vehicle goes into the dealer tomorrow for check/repair. Should be under warranty since I only have 35k miles. Not too happy to have this happen give the age and presumed quality of the vehicle. Any ideas? My guess is a compressor failure.

Thanks,

Jimd
  • erik_herik_h Member Posts: 77
    I have an early '99 and live in Richmond, VA with the original AC, no problems, I would say this failure is unusual. It could be a number of things including a leak in the system, compressor failure, etc... Don't feel bad, it should be repaired under warranty and you should get many more trouble free years from the AC.
  • grace5grace5 Member Posts: 1
    I've been looking/test-driving both the '02 RX 300 and the '02 Volvo V70. Love the feel of the Lexus and the style of the Volvo. Any comments/concerns/advice from owners of either vehicle would be greatly appreciated.
    At one time I was looking at the V70. I thought it was a great car, handled great and all. The V70 is a much longer, lower car. The RX sits upright and fits in tighter spaces. The Lexus service is fantastic at the right dealer (careful) but expensive. Find a local Toyota dealer you are happy with and save a bundle for non-warrantee stuff. My local Toyota dealer treats me great.

I bought my '99 RX (first year) because of the predicted reliability of the RX compared to the V70. The RX has a few common quirks, but if you are careful when buying used, it's a pretty safe bet.

Watch for an RX that has not been used for a lot of urban idling... There are transmission and sludge issues on abused or poorly maintained vehicles. Look for these signs:

Check maintainence records. Check for pink transmission fluid. Even if the vehicle didn't/will not tow: was it equipped with a factory "tow prep-package" including the transmission and heavy-duty radiator cooling (and perhaps not hitch? (if so, great!) You can tell either from the original window sticker if it's available, or for 2 wheel-drive models you can look inside the vent in the front bumper below the passenger side headlight with a flashlight. Behind the white plastic windshield washer tank, you should be able to see a small radiator with small hoses plumbed to the large radiator. That would be the auxiliary transmission cooler. That's what you are looking for. I think all 4WD had a trans cooler, anyway. Also, look at the brake pedal for a lot of previous "city" driving wear as an indicator. Parking lot door dings to tell a story? Did the back seat get a lot of "soccer-mom/dad" use? A vehicle with lots of highway miles in good condition may be preferable to a low mileage city used stop-and-go car.

Make sure all the "All Auto" power windows work. Make sure all power door locks work well... the power actuator for the driver's door lock gets old when the vehicle has sat for a while, and then needs to be replaced. It's not as expensive as a Volvo, but it's not cheap, either.

These are pretty generic to any used car, but in particular common to the RX.

I hope this gives you some helpful hints. Both are nice cars, but now you have some info to go on so hopefully you get a car that will last for years (like we do).

Let us know more about it, OK?
  • mikey00mikey00 Member Posts: 462
    The condenser is in a dangerous spot on the RX and is easily damaged by stones and road debris. It has happened to others and is an expensive repair not covered by warranty. It's best to hope for something like compressor failure, which is covered.
    The entire Toyota/Lexus FWD and/or front biased AWD vehicles seem to be affected by what some refer to as a "firmware" BUG within the engine/transaxle control ECU.

It was first noticed, noticeable, in the early RX300's as a propensity to upshift the transaxle at weird times. For instance just before coming to a full stop. Wherein most transaxles shifted into first the RX300 would upshift initially and then downshift into first only after the vehicle came to a FULL and COMPLETE stop. Owners describe it as the feeling of be "bumped lightly from behind".

The other time was at 30-45 MPH during throttle fully closed coastdowns to a lower speed the transaxle would upshift giving the "slingshot effect" feeling.

Apparently having the transaxle in the wrong gear if/when the driver decided to accelerate rather than coming to a full stop or continuing to coastdown has resulted in premature, 70-80,000 miles, failures of many of these early RX300 transaxles.

By 2004 Toyota/Lexus thought, apparently, that had solved the problem by using a DBW/E-throttle system to delay engine torque development until the transaxle could be downshifted into the more/most appropriate gear ratio for the "new" circumstances.

Problem was that led to many complaints due to owners finding themselves in somewhat hazardous or unsafe situations from the resulting throttle application delay, some said of as much as 2-3 seconds.

The first documented evidence, by Toyota/lexus, of this was in the spring of 2003 involving a TSB for the 2002 Camry. The latest indication is that it is now affecting the NEW RAV4, even the ones with the I4 engine.

It might be advisable to stay away from any FWD or front torque biased AWD from Toyota and Lexus until they have thoroughly "wrung" out these problems with transaxles.

Have a long hard look at the Acura RDX as a perfect example of a well designed, VERY well designed, AWD system.
  • jrdowneyjrdowney Member Posts: 96
    Mikey00,
    Well you hit it right on the head. Apparently a stone or something hit the condenser. Lexus does not want to pay anything and it is expensive. I wonder if you could consider its position a design flaw. The dealer suggested calling the national number to voice my concern/complaint. At a minimum I assume my comprehensive component of insurance should cover after the deductable.

Jimd.
    I have one of these earliest models, '99 new from '98. Being a stick-shift fan and normally driving a motorcycle, I'm pretty dialed in to when my RX shifts, and what it's doing. Much of the time, I shift manually out of habit. I have to say, I have never experienced the two issues you outlined above when it's shifting automatically.

The only similar situation I can think of is related to wheel slippage and the traction-control system throttle delay. Easily avoided by replacing the tires with grippier rubber than the factory 225-70 Integrity's (and a little restraint with my right foot when pulling away from a stop).

The throttle-by-wire system seems to be well matched, if not a bit quick on the draw, to shift the transmission when it senses throttle changes. However, when it was new, Lexus had a TSB for replacement of the transmission valve body to be done at Lexus' expense which a very bad dealer did not do, but was supposed to (they said they couldn't find a TSB after all, and on another occasion they said all was OK, which was not true).

Before the warrantee expired, I had another dealer check again. At just under 70,000 miles with only a symptom of a hard 1-2 shift, Lexus (different dealer) stood behind their product and replaced the entire transmission with a brand new unit after trying two rebuilt units also with hard shifting, all at no cost to me. They did not mention any software changes, but there have been many other changes to the RX since the early models, usually making them more reliable, not less.

I have a local friend with a 2000 4WD, 120,000 miles, with a flawless (trans) repair history, and his shifts with the same smoothness and precision mine does, and still has pink fluid.

What you claim is that an awful lot of RX, ES, Camry's, RAV's, maybe even Sienna's, etc. have transmissions with really obvious and nasty, dangerous design flaws which ultimately lead to premature failure that would be so widespread, no one would want these cars creating a really bad reputation. Is yours like that? If so, your position is understandable. Is there a high percentage of other owners who are reporting this? I haven't heard that it is, except what you pointed out.

So far, I guess many are lucky they have not had these problems. Hopefully that might mean they have a long-wearing transmission. I hope your experience gets better.

But with all this, I do change the fluid every year, as I notice it gets beat more in this car than others. Also, I added an extra auxiliary trans cooler in addition to the towing cooler to total two, just to be more safe (don't know if it will do good, but I do that on all my cars anyway).

Another thing I learned. Try a different dealer for service?! ;)
    To be fair, I only really noticed the weird shift pattern on my 2001 AWD RX300 initially, probably because it was anomalous to my previous experience. These days if I concentrate, "tune" my senses, then I can notice it but otherwise...

My RX came with the extra ATF cooler as a part of the towing package and I removed the hitch the day I brought it home. At only ~40,000 miles my ATF was smelling and looking burned.
  • foonafoona Member Posts: 18
    Just got a used RX 300. I'd like to add XM satellite radio. Anybody find a good solution yet?
  • maximafanmaximafan Member Posts: 592
    If you have a cassette player in your RX, then
    get the Delphi Roady. I believe the latest
    model right now is the Roady XT. I have the
    Roady-II and I love it! I've had it for two
    years now. Before my Maxima got wrecked two
    weeks ago, I was playing the XM Roady through
    the cassette player. You don't have to worry
    about any interruptions(unless you're in a
    parking garage, of course!) or tuning into a
    station that gets no competition from a local
    station, which you can also use the Roady that
    way(called the wireless FM modulator).
    The sound of the XM comes through great playing
    it through the cassette player.

Also, whenever I rent a car to go on vacation,
    even though the car may not have a cassette
    player, I just use the wireless FM Modulator
    and tune into one of the list of stations that
    the XM manual recommends and get XM music that
    way. The only disadvantage to using the wireless FM is when you're traveling, you'll
    get competition from whatever local stations
    are present as you progress in your travel.

But doing it through the cassette player is a
    great way to go. All you have to have is
    (Everything comes in the package) a magnetic
    antenna, power adapter, cassette adapter and
    you're set to go!

While I'm awaiting the verdict on whether my
    Maxima will be a loss or repairable, I'm driving a Nissan Sentra rental car. It doesn't
    have the cassette player, so I just set up my
    Roady with the Wireless FM Modulator. It's
    been no problem at around town. It makes living with an underpowered, boring little
    rental car much, much easier!!!
  • foonafoona Member Posts: 18
    Thanks for the info. I have a cassette (what a waste of dashboard area... who uses cassettes anymore!). But I'm looking for a better intergration solution. Don't want wires running up the front of the dashboard. Plus cassesset isn't the best audio quality connection method.

In my accord I tied in through the aux port on the back of the radio and use XM Commander. Using ground loop isolator and the audio is perfect. Only bad thing is it doesn't display on the radio, gotta use that little xm wired display.
  • maximafanmaximafan Member Posts: 592
    As far as the set-up, what I did was placed the
    antenna on the roof over the right front passenger door close to the windshield, run the
    wire along the door channel and let a small
    portion hang so I can put the majority of the
    clump of wire in my glove compartment and run
    the rest of the wire out of the other side of
    the glove compartment. At one time I had the
    Roady receiver display mounted on one of the
    air conditioner vents in the center, and then
    the cassette adapter wire runs to the cassette
    and the power adapter runs to the power unit
    just below. Hardly any wires hanging loose.

The only problem I had was when I wanted to
    hide the Roady in the glove compartment whenever I would take the car to the car wash,
    it was difficult to get it off of the mount.
    I ended up breaking the mount and since then,
    just had the Roady sitting in the ashtray on
    the bottom of the center console.

When I play it through the cassette player, it
    sounds almost as good as the CD player and better and louder than the regular radio.
    Sorry, but I still like having the cassette
    player along with the CD and the satellite
    radio. Hey, I've still got some great cassette
    tapes that are in good shape that I still listen to!

By the way, I just got word that my 2002 Maxima
    will be totaled out. I'm strongly considering
    buying or leasing a 2007 RX350!
  • stocks12stocks12 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2002 RX300 and just started with this exact problem. What was the fix? the dealer is trying to sell me a new unit for $2000+.

Thanks,
  • efuji1efuji1 Member Posts: 1
    I had a prblem with my remote not being able to open the drivers door on my 2000 RX300, but it would unlock the rest of the car with a double click. Just after opening the door by inserting the key and turning it, the remote would work for a few minutes and then stop opening the driver's door after stiing locked for a few minutes.I also noticed that I had to hold the window switch to get the window to traverse the full travel (driver's door only). I fixed both problems by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes. I assume it rebooted the door computer.
  • bonesybonesy Member Posts: 5
    My wife leased an RX300 a few years back and towards the end of the lease the key broke. It broke out of its plastic casing so the key was fine. The plastic casing simply cracked and broke. Well she now has a GX470 and the exact same thing has happened. Now that it has happened twice, has anyone else encountered this problem?

Thanks for reading.
    A full-service locksmith who cuts high-security keys has access to an improved replacement "shell" for these keys. They can cut the new key and swap out the transmitter module from your old key, no programming necessary. Considerably less expensive than a replacement key from the dealer. See this link for a typical example:
    Lexus Shell

• toydrivertoydriver Member Posts: 227
    It's been a while since tires have been discussed.

WHAT ARE THE BEST VALUE REPLACEMENT TIRES FOR THE RX300?

I've had Bridgestone Duelers and Goodyear Integrity. I haven't cared for either. I want something else this time.

Mine is a 2001 with 101K miles and I plan on keeping it for another 50K miles (hopefully).
  • erik_herik_h Member Posts: 77
    I have about 45K on my Michelin XC lt4's and I will probably buy them or the Michelin Cross Terrains when these go. They feel great on road compared to the integrity's I had earlier. Try tirerack for more comments...
    I have 4 michelin cross terrains, 17", with about 40k miles but at least 50% tread left. At 40k miles I put a set of summer only Bridgestone Turanzas and couldn't be more pleased, quiet and comfortable ride.

Anyone who wants to pick up the Michelins in Redmond WA can have them for free.
    I just put the second set of Michelin® Cross Terrains™ on my RX300 yesterday. Got about 55K miles out of the last set with some tread left but BJ's has a $50 off coupon (on a set of four), so I decided to buy them now. Very satisfactory tire, rotated them faithfully about every 5,000 miles. This vehicle will be going to my son in a few days when my new RX350 is delivered, and I won't take any chances with my kids or grandkids by using an inferior tire.

Costco's Michelin coupon around here is $60 off a set. I think it expires around Labor Day.
  • mikey00mikey00 Member Posts: 462
    I got my second set of Cross Terrains last time Costco offered the $60 off coupon. That's a deal that is hard to beat for a great tire. Costco not only does free rotation but adds free balancing each rotation. They also use nitrogen and provide free road hazzard coverage. I will most likely go for a third set of Cross Terrains if I keep the RX that long.
  • toydrivertoydriver Member Posts: 227
    Thanks for the info.

Has anyone experience with the new B'stone Dueler HL Alenza?

(rumored to have new rubber compound that is much quieter and better in snow that prior Dueler AT. Tires Plus guy says their similar to Michelen Cross Terrain but cheaper)