Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Trooper

Comments

• gpm5gpm5 Member Posts: 785
    Are all shocks like that? I once had air shocks that actually jacked up the back end of a '71 Dodge Charger. This was preferred over using the extensions off of the frame of the vehicle, which actually put more tension on the leaf springs.
  • sparko101sparko101 Member Posts: 7
    Rattle: Thanks for the advice on the rattle...like the solution too...felt pad.

Shocks/Springs/bushings: Geez, you guys must not have been driving a 12-yo truck with hardly any springs/shocks left recently...lol. I suppose upgrading these will make an improvement...but the stock vehicle is already so improved over my old truck that I'm in no hurry to do these things. May consider a Ranch 9000 group buy though.

Tires: Mine are the Goodyear Wranglers. I have no big concern with them one way or another.

Wheelskin cover: Sounds like a XMAS list item for me too.

Plan on installing Waag front center bar. Best price I found so far is $185. Anybody know of a better deal?

Has anybody replaced their stock headlight bulbs? Any recommendations for type? Do you need to purchase at a specialty store/online...or would Trak Auto or Pep Boys carry them?

TOD/Power button: Couple days ago in the rain I was trying to merge...had TOD engaged, Jeep Grand Cherokee would not let me in (the fool!), hit power button and zipped on by him....sweeeet!

Happy Troop'n...Mark
  • gprodickgprodick Member Posts: 36
    Has anybody tried to mount either the 550 or 450 Hella driving/fog lights in the '99 front bumper fog light enclosures?
  • sdc2sdc2 Member Posts: 780
    Normal shocks don't support weight, they just dampen motion. They can help with heavy loads mainly by increasing control, but not by carrrying any weight.

Some high pressure gas shocks, such as Bilstein, can actually raise a vehicle slightly due to the gas pressure. I put Bilsteins on my previous vehicle (Blazer) and they raised it maybe a quarter of an inch.

Air shocks are a different animal altogether, they are designed to carry weight by using very high air pressure in the shock.

BTW, I have Old Man Emu shocks on my Troop, I like them alot and would recommend them if you want a firmer ride. Not adjustable, though.
  • pat_pendingpat_pending Member Posts: 36
    There is a good article about putting on the manual hubs:

http://www.outdoorwire.com/4x4/isuzu/tech/manualhubs/?

I got the hubs on line, I do not remember where, but if you do a search you will find several places that sell them for about 90-100 dollars.
    The above article has tips for installing, and it was very easy. I think it took about 2 hours with serious lollygagging. I'm not even sure if the wheel had to come off, but I did jack it up and take off the wheel. One thing they understate in the article is that the hex nuts are a [non-permissible content removed] to remove. You can either put an allen wrench in them and whack on the end of the wrench with a hammer for 10 minutes x12 bolts, or you can use an impact wrench. If you have access to air tools, get a hex wrench socket and hit it with the impact wrench; it will be worth it. You could also have a shop loosen them for you, if one will do you a favor.

The hubs are permanently greased, I did not note how they seal, but you use RTV sealer when putting on the hub and when closing up the hub, so it should remain dry inside the hub.

I was hoping to see an increase in MPG, but it has been minimal, and I'm not certain if I felt a power increase due to the loss of parasitic drag, but at least the CV joints don't spend their time uselessly spinning all summer. As a bonus, I can now engage 4Wlo without locking the hubs, and it is very easy to idle my boat out of the lake and to maneuver it around the storage yard.

good luck.
    -Ken
  • viktoria__rviktoria__r Member Posts: 8
    No, I do not have a bug deflector. So this must be something else...
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    Are there any retailers, on-line merchants, or other sources that sell typical automotive fluids (engine oil, auto trans fluid, power steering fluid, gear oil, etc.) at cheap prices? I would like to put synthetic blend or full synthetic fluids in my 98 Trooper, but paying $3 per quart for synthetic blend ATF or $5 per quart for Mobil1 synthetic ATF seems pretty expensive, especially since the auto trans capacity is 9.1 quarts.

I’m currently buying synthetic blend oil at $1.99-2.19 per quart on sale (Castrol or Valvoline) for my Trooper, and Mobil1 synthetic for my 95 Ford Contour at $3.89 per quart at Target.

Anybody have any ideas how/where to save some money on fluids?
  • sdc2sdc2 Member Posts: 780
    I know some people have upgraded their speakers, has anybody installed separate 1" tweeter/6.5" speakers on the front door? I got a set of Boston Acoustics separates on closeout cheap (relatively), just wondering if there are any problems that need to be overcome, install kits needed, how to install crossover, etc. I appreciate any input!
    Did you install yours? Did it go well? They just sent me e-mail - they have 10% off sale. So if yours went well, I might do it, too.
    :)
    That's a good question as to whether there is a crossover that separates frequency to the front door (bottom) and tweeters above. If that is the case than a full-range speaker in the door may not be the best situation and could degrade sound quality. A speaker with a little stronger bass might be of use, but I wonder if that could be limited by the output of the dash unit. Also, I remember one post where someone tried speakers that had bigger magnets that did not allow them to fit into the doors. Just some thoughts, but I have no direct answers to how the system is currently configured.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Happy T-day guys and girls!

-mike
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    In email discussions with other Trooper owners and over at itog.com, I learned that there is indeed a crossover (I think located in the doors) that sends the high frequencies to the doorsill-mounted tweeters and keeps the highs out of the low-mounted larger speakers in the doors. I don't remember details, but I think this crossover is a low-tech design.

Also, you should have no ill effects from mounting full-range replacement speakers in the doors where the current crappy 6.5" woofers are located. I've installed Polk Audio EX602 speakers in 2 different Troopers (96 and 98). This is a two-way, full-range, $100 per pair speaker that sounds great and provided a noticeable improvement in my Trooper system's sound quality for a mere hundred bucks. There is no adverse effects that I can hear as a result of high frequencies emanating from 2 different locations (the Polks and the existing separate tweeters). I would recommend leaving the tweeters connected. They seem to sound okay, but the factory woofers sound pretty bad.
    I was just perusing through the Opel, Vauxhall, and Holden pages on the web (being bored @ work today) and found some cool stuff:

1) Jackaroo-Monteray gets wipers on the headlights (with washers)

2) 3rd row seating (standard)

3) E-code headlights of course...

-mike
  • arktrooper1arktrooper1 Member Posts: 101
    Although, curiously, there are no specs giving real details the British version of the Trooper comes in a LWB model. Maybe the US should offer a the LS and Limited in LWB, 3-seat, versions on the next model change and sweeten the deal with dual A/C, a V8 or larger displacement V6 and a 5-speed auto in the Limited. The S could remain the value leader and get manual tilt on the drivers seat, plus stronger A/C. ALL could benifit from better reflector design in the headlights, I'm convinced.
    The US Spec is the LWB, outside the US, they offer the SWB Trooper RS which is a 2 door version of our trucks. They offered em in the US in like '92 and '93 they sold about 500 and discontinued them. Outside the US, they get 3 rows of steats standard! :(

-mike
    I know about the 2-door that was in this market for a year or two and realize that the RS is still available in some markets....the British website made no mention of a 2-door and I got the idea that the third seat was in both a long and a short wheelbase 4-door. You may be right...but...for the future of a 3-seat Trooper with little or no sacrifice in second seat legroom...I wish you were wrong!:)

We only have one kid and taking over 4-5 people max is not really an issue with me so I am in the group that feels though a third seat would be nice, I would not sacrifice all that great second seat legroom. That was one of the many important (to me) things that kept leading me back to the Trooper.

BTW, fellow Troopers, it's raining today in NW Arkansas and you can bet TOD is on and working! I'ts amazing how stable this thing is in the rain, even at 80+ on the interstate! Not only would I not have 2WD for myself again, after owning this Trooper...I could NEVER have conventional part-time 4WD either. Wouldn't really be that much of an advantage over 2WD for me.
    I thought the crossover would prevent highs from going to the lower speakers, but maybe that's not correct.
  • mkayemkaye Member Posts: 184
    Looked at the NHTSA web site for the 2000 model year troopers. There is apparently going to be a second recall for the fuel lines. Owners are going to be notified starting this month. I have had the first taken care of, we'll see if I get the second.
    Also, I have had problems over the summer with the a/c not cooling properly at higher fan speeds. There is a TSB for the a/c but no logical explanation of the problem. Anyone else have problems with the a/c not cooling at high fan speeds (temp from the vent at 55 plus degrees)? Took it into the dealer three times, everyone said "normal." My 1996 definitely worked better than my 2000.
    I have a 2000 Trooper LS Automatic (TOD) 12K miles:

Highway Milage (76mph cruise control in Northeast hilly Interstate Terrain) w/TOD Active and 37-38psi TP:
    18-19mpg

Highway Milage (76mph cruise control in Northeast hilly Interstate Terrain)w/TOD Active and 32-33psi TP:
    14-16mpg

Mixed City/Highway w/TOD and 37-38psi TP (I also have a very heavy foot, full throttle from light to light):
    13-14mpg

-mike
    http://www.iace.com/ia/trooper
    I'm positive that outside the US the LWB is the same as ours (a friend in Australia verified it for me). Outside the US, the 3rd row of seats is in the cargo area (with some room behind it) and they fold up against the outside walls (like the Land Cruiser) so it doesn't take away from the 2nd row seating at all. In fact, under the carpet in our trucks in the back is a spot where the mounting brackets go for the 3rd row of seats. I'm currently working on trying to get an Australian Holden Dealer to get me a price on 3rd Row of seats, and E-Code headlight assemblies and Headlight washer/wiper units as well.

I'm sure that they could stretch the current WB and widen it slightly to accomodate a V8 and a full 3rd row of seats.

-mike
    I just checked out the 2nd Re-call for the Trooper. They are going to replace the fuel line hose. As for the TSB for the A/C unit, if you read carefully, the TSB is alerting service technicians of the change in the HVAC system that came with the 2000 model year vehicle. In 2000 the HVAC system went from a manual system to an automatic temperature control. That is how I read the TSB on the HVAC to be.

On my 2000 LS, I didn't have any problems this past summer with the A/C in auto-matic mode cooling my truck in bumper to bumper traffic on Hot Humid NYC days. The dark tint on the rear section of the LS model may help and I did notice a slight improvement when I did 20% tinting on the front 2 (driver and pass) windows as well.

-mike
    Well my Trooper has seen it's first snow! Took it upstate to my house in the Adirondacks this weekend. I'm looking forward to going down some back-roads. So far the TOD is working like a charm!

-mike
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    I just got back from upstate NY. 6" of snow over a couple of days/ Not much for the trooper but some decent doughnut fun! Driving around the truck didin't even notice the snow going, and the antilocks were great stopping. It was nice to sit and wait for a vehicle that would spin all the way up a hill and then just cruise right up without any trouble.

The way home I noticed some cold air coming from around the base of the windshield. It was through the mountains and pretty cold, so it was hard to tell if it was just airflow getting chilled by the windshield or an actual leak? There was no noise? It was very slight so I need to do more research. I know some trooper's have had windshield seal problems.

MPG averaged 17 on the highway and 13 with TOD cruising around town.
    While on vacation I test drove the Acura MDX and Toyota Sequoia. The MDX didn't thrill me. It did not feel quick like the trooper. While very flat and even in corners, it drove like a boat, feeling slow and making wide turns.

The Sequoia was pretty cool. Very powerful and quick. Handled great for a truck of its size. The 4WD and Vehicle Traction Control System were good also. I got to drive it by myself (since the dealer was understaffed), I found an unplowed parking lot to test it out. When I floored it and cut the wheel the truck just made a slow U-turn? I couldn't cause it to break free. I realized it was the traction control system. I disengaged it and it spun like a top. Overall a really cool system. The major drawback it that it costs between $40,000 and $45,000. My brother owns an Expedition and this vehicle blows that away. I still like my Trooper, but it would now is a toss up between the Land Cruiser and the Sequoia for dream truck.
    Hey, I am on vacation upstate NY too! 6" of snow and the trooper is running like a top. Went to the sand pit that I go to in the summer and took her for some trials. I noticed that the TOD worked great also if you are slipping, you just gas it and go! The 4wd Low was good too :) I can't wait for the real winter to get here in the adirondacks so I can see how it does in 1-2ft of snow!

-mike
    I looked at the outside of the Sequoia and it looked like a tundra with a cap. I definitely like the LC better, although I haven't driven em yet. Also the one I saw stickered @ $48K, which is about double my trooper! I should go test drive one though.

-mike
    Does anyone know what suspension modifications I will have to make if I add a winch bumper? I think the bumpers are about 100 pounds + winch weight. Can this just be fixed by adjusting the sway bar? Or will I have buy new torsion bars, springs, etc?

BTW - Mike I was just in the greater Rochester area, I am back now. I have been in 10-12" of snow before with excellent results.
  • jbrennan1jbrennan1 Member Posts: 6
    I live just outside of the park. Maybe we could get a trail ride going.
    You shouldn't need to make any suspension modifications, maybe crank up the torsion bars a little to compensate for the extra weight.

-mike
    My place is in Caroga Lake, NY (it's in the southern portion) I'd love to get a trail ride going but most of the places I've found are private. I'm up there 2x a month in the winter, and 3x a month May->Sep.

-mike
    Hey if any of you are on AOL IM or Yahoo! You can IM me if you want. My user ID is paisan12. Anyone else on IM or Yahoo?

-mike
  • cwmosercwmoser Member Posts: 227
    Paisan, you mentioned that your tire pressure was 37-38psi -- isn't that quite high? Wasn't high tire pressure one of the contributing reasons for the Firestone Tire failures that caused the Ford Explorer rollovers?
    Manual says 30f 35r TP. I'm gonna actually drop the f down to 33psi.

The problem with the Firstones was actually low Tire Pressure:

Firestone told Ford that they should be set @ 30psi, Ford posted on the pillar 23 or 25psi.

The problem is this:

Lower PSI = Softer tires, better ride, wider track on pavement, higher friction, higher heat

Higher Heat = more wear and tear on the tires, and eventual tread separation.

-mike
  • jbrennan1jbrennan1 Member Posts: 6
    I live in Saratoga Springs, about 45 min away. I agree, most trails are private, was hoping you might know of some good public ones.
    Cool, I shoot over there quite a bit. I'm sure if we put our heads together we can come up with some trails.

-mike
    Found some good stuff @ http://overlander.com. I really like the OME shocks/springs idea, and the FET Landmaster 216s look really nice to mount on my Nudge Bar. Also if I could afford it, the cross drilled rotors and pads look outstanding, but I can't justify $1000 in brakes!

-mike
    Regarding the Recall for 2000 Trooper, I would like to visually compare the 1999 versus the 2000 Trooper to see if the fuel lines and protection are similar. I would think that the 1998 - 2001 are basically the same.
  • upyourbigassupyourbigass Member Posts: 1
    I am beginning to have some serious doubts about my trooper. I worry about my wife trying to escape the fuel leak after having her legs crushed (see crash test). Is anyone else having serious concern about this? They may claim to have a fix for all these various leaks, but i now have a growing fear about the inherent danger of the truck.
    Since, there hasn't been 1 single instance of either the legs crushing, nor the fuel leak, in real world crashes. Just as in '96 to date, there haven't been any rollovers in the situation that CR tested and nixed the Trooper for.

Somone on here posted a 40mph T-Bone collision, which totalled their trooper, but left them unscathed.

-mike
    I have some concerns. But the more I research it the better I feel. I looked at the crash test data regarding. The Trooper actually held together quite well. The passenger compartment did not get too out of shape. This means that your chances of living are very good. The leg injury is not ideal, but compared to other results the trooper wasn't the worst. The footwell was the only area to get compromised in the collision. This seems to be directly related to a lack of any front bumper. The JGC had a similar problem where the front wheel crushes the footwell too.

I am concerned about the fuel line leak in the 1998-1999. I have emailed NHTSA about trying to get the 1999 evaluated. Isuzu claims the 1998-1999 models don't have the same fuel line routing, which I don't completely believe. The 1998 Jackaroo crash test link didn't show any problems with a fuel line link. After scouring the crash test data I do feel better. Not many crashes result in fire, so even if you hit a stationary object offset on the drivers side, and after the crash fuel spills out, I am not that worried. I am concerned that Isuzu is not fixing the 1998-1999 models, I would like to see more from them.

It is possible the 1998-1999 models are different. For example, the 1995 models scored extremely poorly in crash tests, this was then greatly improved in 1997? Even though the skin hasn't changed the insides may have.
    Yes, it would be nice to know how the structure of the 1998-1999 Troopers differ from the 2000-2001. Since the Trooper, like all SUVs, have no effective bumper, I wonder if a nudge bar like paisan has would help? I would think it would help both in the area of providing initial protection for the fuel line and also prevent intrusion into the driver and passenger compartments.
    from Australia are heralded as adding protection from collisions with kangaroos and other wildlife. I would think that adding a steel bumper mounted to the frame would definitely protect the footwell. I don't know how it would effect the overall structural integrity though. I am most likely going to add one for winching capabilities, not safety, but it could be a possible bonus. I am looking at getting one on for next summers vacation so I won't have any results to post soon.
    Mike, at vmag.com...the Trooper portion of the forum, there have been a couple of uncomplimentary things said about overlander. Rude people and slow service as well as something about being charged for an order that took forever to arrive, I believe.

On the plus side, I've called them a couple of times and been treated nothing but great!

I also ordered a K&N air filter from them and got it in four days, exactly as promised.

This is not to say that overlander is bad. From my experience I'd order from them again. After all, you can't please everyone and the other two people may have gotten someone who either didn't care or isn't employed by overlander anymore.

The Catz 216's are indeed cool and I'd love to have them but I don't need their ultimate off-road capability and with a family I have to watch the $ a bit more:) so I'm going to have to stick with some Hellas from susquehanna and a Waag center guard for around $250 total. I'll be the first to admit, though, that the ECB bar and the Landmasters are the HOT ticket!

-Dave
    Count me in as another Trooper owner who isnt the least bit concerned by the recall or "crash results". I'm checking the manufacture date of mine as well as talking to the dealer about it at my first oil change in 500 mi.
    I spoke to a rep at FET the manufacturer, so I'm not sure of overlander.com's reps yet. I luckily am w/o family, but a ton of school debt, so I'll have to hold off on the 216s for a bit. Had WAAG had their bar before I got my ECB I would have probably gotten theirs, but I called around all of June 2000 and no one had anything but a Big Wrap around one.

-mike
    Has anyone had problems on cold (below freezing) days opening their moonroof? On my trip upstate, I had problems opening it to vent out the car on the way upstate NY. It seemed like the rubber seal was "sticking" I'm gonna silicone the seal and see what happens next time it's cold.

-mike
  • grucelagrucela Member Posts: 19
    Mike,
    Did you ever get your mirrors fixed?
    They replaced mine, still vibrates, but was told its normal.
    Had a noise coming from behind the dash on cold mornings. Seems the fuel lines would vibrate on cold days, they fixed that. Seems more Troopers have the same problem. Had exhaust vibration, the replaced the muffler, but still does it when its cold. Was told this is a heat shield and is norm. Any comments? I might need to call the 800# and ask Isuzu for a list of what is norm for this flagship vehicle.
    Well my mirror is now flush against the vehicle (the black triangle piece) and I drove a # of other Troopers @ 85mph, same slight vibration. I also drove a Landcruiser, and a Mitsubishi Montero, same slight vibration. So I'm satisfied that the mirrors are normal for this type of vehicle.

The fluttering some of us pinned down to the edges of the OEM bug guard. One of my corners was torn off, so I ripped the other one off and now no more fluttering noise.

The heat shield can be tightened if it vibrates that much, but I haven't had any problems with mine.

Definitely try a different dealer, I found that to be the easiest fix. The new dealer is quite caring and are excellent.

If you do call Isuzu, immediately ask for a supervisor, because the first level phone people are not of the highest quality!

-mike
    I have contacted them several times with product questions. Although I have never bought anything, yet, they have always responded promptly and informative to any email I send them.