Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Trooper

Comments

• cracoviancracovian Member Posts: 337
    How does the Excursion PowerStroke 6.0 liter diesel compare to that GMC bunch? 5-speed auto, 325HP, 560ft-lb @ 2000 RPM, 9,000lb towing, giant cargo space with all 3 rows up and 18MPG. Surprisingly nice on the inside and quite civilized on the road. All that for about $40K after rebates. Not bad if you ask me...
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    I don't believe it, but there is no more binding? They said they put in a LSD additive and then did some tight circles in a parking lot to force the clutch to slip and lubricate.

They are keeping my service ticket open until I give them the all clear, just in case I need something that would require warranty assistance.

How should I test this apart from just putting TOD on and driving around? I am not sure if this will effect 4wd operation? (i.e. it slips in parking lots, but will the system engage when I need it?)
  • suavechavosuavechavo Member Posts: 39
    Thanks for the info, I guess I'm just concerned that I have no idea where the truck came from since there are no service records. I'm looking for a mechanic to check it out but at the price they're asking I think I'm just gonna buy it anyway.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Looking at the diesel version a few items I don't like...

o 4-wheel leaf springs- bad ride when you are not towing, etc.
    o Space is almost the same as the Denali XL even though the vehicle itself is significantly larger.
    o No AWD for on-road use which is what I'll be using it for.
    o "Luxury" items are pretty lacking on the Excursion v. Denali
    o Diesel engine is significantly louder than the Duramax in the GMC line
    o At least 10K more than what I'll pay for a slightly used Denali

Once they come out with the Duramax aka Isuzu diesel in the Denali/burban, I'll probably pickup a used one of those in a few years after I get a used 03/04 denali.

-mike
    Have the trans serviced fully (filter, drop pan, etc) and it will go away. Had a similar problem on mine til I had the fluid done.

-mike
    I test drove the Nissan Titan the other day for fun. Unfortunately they didn't have the crew cab onsite so I could get a feel for the back seat. Though, it is one cool truck. Unfortunately the offroad package comes with the "bad" BFGs not the all terrains KOs.

If I had the money, I would getting one of those, as long as they would wrap the tire change up in the deal.

Have you thought about upgrading to a 4 door pickup? With a hardtop over the bed you could carry a lot of gear and still have the weather protection.
    Yup the thought crossed my mind. I was hell-bent on getting a GMC with a Duramax. Until we were on a trip with the whole crew and I realized that no matter how hard you try, even in a crewcab you can't put more than 5 guys in there on a trip, even 5 is pushing it for a crew-cab trip. Need at least 6 big-guy passenger seats. With the denali I could put 6-7 adults + gear.

So it's basically Denali, Suburban, Excalade, Excursion, not many other choices.

I reall like the denali so if I can find a nice used one next year all will work out.

-mike
  • pugger1pugger1 Member Posts: 42
    Looking to put a new set of tires on the Trooper, what size is everyone running and why. Is your size better than O.E.'s? Got 45,000 miles out of the Bridgestones, not too bad for O.E's
    275-70-16 Pirelli Scoripion ATs

-mike
  • suavechavosuavechavo Member Posts: 39
    Thanks for the tip!
    I had a set of these lasted me 50K tough miles (both on and offroad) so I bought another set!

-mike
  • gprodickgprodick Member Posts: 36
    I've found that the drive line clunk can be all but eliminated simply by greasing the 3 drive shaft zerks - one on each of the U-joints and one on the sleeve at the front of the shaft.

I'm running 265/75-16 Bridgestone Revo A/T's. I'm using the SL load rating - saw no reason for heavier, stiffer C or D rated tires. This is my second set of Revos and I must say, they are the BEST! I can't recommend them highly enough. I was going to try the 275/70's, but they cost $30/tire more than the 265/75 SL. This tire has a great ride, is quiet, has good wear, and good traction in all conditions. Far, far better than the Pirelli Scorpions (265/75-16 load range C) that I had before. For me the Scorpions had a marginal ride (I don't think they were round, as I never could get them balanced), marginal snow traction, were fairly loud, and wore out in a heart beat. Some others on this board, however, seem to like them.

The 265/75's make the Trooper look soooo much beafier. There is a slight sacrifice in off the line performance. Unlike some who have gone to larger tires, I have noticed no decrease in gas mileage. I average around 17.5 in normal mixed driving, factoring in the odometer error caused by the larger circumference tire. I've gone as high as 19+ MPG on trips, but I tend drive pretty briskly on the highway so anything higher would be unrealistic.
    Great tires, I couldn't justify the jump in price from the Scorpions on them however. For me it was like $40+ more per tire over the Scorpions.

-mike
    265/70 Bridgestone Deuler A/T 693...pre-revo's. Great ride, grip on pavement, perhaps quiter than stock. Only issue was getting tires balanced. I had to take them to 2 different places (after the install) and shell out an extra $50+ dollars. Got a good deal because I went into the tire place with pricing from tirerack and figured out what they would cost me if I bought them online and had them shipped to the place and installed vs. their inflated cost. I got them to come down about $25 per tire.

I also traded my spare in on a new tire...since it was brand new, they gave me $71 credit towards replacing it. So I have 5x265/70s.

The Stock tire cover will not fit over the larger tires...and I recommend removing it if you are getting a new spare, since the tire place ripped mine trying to force it over the top.

Not sure if I would go 265/75 next time? When I looked all the 75 aspect tires were LT (light truck) rated not P (Passenger car) rated.

I was torn between the Deuler's and the BFG Radial A/T KOs. They are more expensive, but probably the best offroad A/T tire. I think the Bridgestones are probably the best on the road all the time with occasional offroading A/T tire. The BFGs are an LT tire.

Oh yeah...I was very concerned about what would fit. 265/70s, 265/75s or 275/70s all fit no problem...and the larger tire makes the truck look much better.
  • cracoviancracovian Member Posts: 337
    Question for ya... I'm still running my original 245/70-16 tires but if I wanted to go for something just a bit wider and a bit taller (the smallest step-up each way) that fits over my existing alloys what size would it be?

Since I don't do any offroading, live in the South, and stay mainly on the highway is it a good idea to go with a P rating or stick to the LT rating?
  • bsmart1bsmart1 Member Posts: 377
    you can get a 255/70-16 in some brands which is about 1/2 " radius taller. This is what I'm considering for my 99' as the next tire. It will look a little better and should have little to no effect on MPG's. I think I would go with the P rating if you are into the soft ride. The LT rating is going to be a little bit stiffer.
    The sizes I mentioned before will fit on the stock rims. Larger tires will reduce your gas mileage.
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    The power-fold mirrors on our 98 Trooper have taken some pretty good abuse and they still work. With a little more tinkering, you may be able to get the mirrors to snap into the right position, since it sounds like the motors are working in both. Just yesterday, I banged my elbow into the passenger mirror and bent it the wrong way (it was facing 270 deg - toward the front of the truck). after pulling the mirror back, the fold button folded the mirror in properly, and when i depressed the button the mirror returned to its normal location.

$7k for a 2000 Limited with 80k miles seems pretty good, even for 2WD.

The leather may still have hope, but Lexol is not going to clean it up. What most people think of 'Lexol' is as a leather conditioner in the orange bottle. Lexol does sell a leather cleaner. If you try to revive the seats, start with a cleaner and then use a conditioner once the seats are clean.

If you buy it, do some major maintenance on it. You might spend $500-$1,000 but you will know where you stand in many of the major categories (coolant, timing belt, trans fluid, other driveilne fluids, serpentine belt, wheel bearing repack, etc.).
  • pugger1pugger1 Member Posts: 42
    Thanks for all of the help on the tire subject. I would like some input concerning the subject of changing the coolant. How many miles should a person have on the trooper before a flush? Also what have most experienced with serpentine belt? 45,000 and my belt is still going and it still looks pretty good. Again thanks for the help!
  • bawbcatbawbcat Member Posts: 118
    I have Bridgestone Dueler AT (non-Revo) in the 255/70 size, and I'm happy with them. I think the Revo has a less agressive tread design. This is a "P" rated tire, same as the stock tires, and is the smallest size increase over stock. This is enough to make the vehicle look better and add a small amount of height without having any significant effect on performance. Unlike the other person who mentioned these tires, I have not had any balance problems at all. They are relatively quiet for an AT tire. Do not go with the BFG AT tires unless you are serious about off-road and are prepared to put up with noise. I had the BFG's on a previous vehicle and it was a huge improvement on-road when I replaced them with Michelin LTX A/T's. That Michelin is another tire I was quite happy with.
  • bsmart1bsmart1 Member Posts: 377
    can be a pain. I had the driver side mirror on my 97' strip a gear. You couldn't get it to fold in or out without aiding it with your hand. I just left it alone in the normal position, and never messed with it again. All of the actual mirror positioning is done separately any way. That part works just fine, I take it?
  • silverghostsilverghost Member Posts: 154
    Interesting . . . haven't seen your "do a search" response in a while. After all, there is plenty of existing info on this board about tire up-sizing.

265/70/16 and 275/70/16 will also fit stock rims (they add 1.1 and 1.7 inches, respectively, in diameter, in addition to a 3.7% and 5.6% speedo error), as well as a variety of sizes in other aspect ratios. Here is a helpful site for those inclined to do a bit of independent research:

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

For the record, the standardized difference between a 245 and 255 tire is 0.4 inches in diameter, not radius. Sidewall width difference is +0.2 inches.
    What would be the advantage of going from a 245/70 to a 255/70? This is an insignificant size increase! I can't imagine what difference a tire that is small fractions of an inch taller and wider than stock could make. You might as well stick with the standard size and save a couple of bucks.

In order to transform the trucks performance and/or appearance, you will have to make the quantum leap in size to 265/75 or 275/70. You won't regret it! This is not like putting monster floatation tires on it or anything. The wife won't run you out of the house. It just makes the Trooper look, feel, and drive better. You put 255/70's on a Trooper and I'll bet you can't tell it from stock. You put 265/75's on it and you'll go "Oh,yeah!"

On another note, how common a size is a 255/70-16? This, I think, is a really oddball size. If you ever need to find one in a pinch, it might not be so easy. 265/75 is a very common size. 275/70 is probably not so common.

Additionally, whatever oversize tire a person goes with, they are going to have to purchase a matching size spare. If you can't tell the difference from stock, why would you want to buy 5 tires, when you can buy 4 of the stock size. So, you're going to spend more per tire and have to buy one more tire for nothing.

Do yourself a favor. Go to the 265/75 or 275/70, pick up a used one for a spare, dump the foo-foo looking spare tire cover, and never look back.
    As I have noted in previous posts, I have no personal experience with the 275/70 tire on the Trooper. I have had 3 sets of 265/75's on my 1999 Trooper, however. If you are concerned about ride comfort, stay away from the high load rating tires. I think the standard tires on the Trooper are "C" rated. I've had "C" rated 265/75 Scorpions and they were not too harsh at all. In fact, other than the fact that they simply weren't very round, the ride was okay.

I now have Revo A/T's in the "SL", standard load rating, my second set of these. This is a little softer than a "C" rating. They are extremely comfortable and smooth on the road. I can't imagine a better riding tire. I simply can't imagine a person having an issue with the ride of these tires.

If you are concerned about ride, stay way away from "D" and "E" rated tires. I think some people get these super heavy duty tires by mistake. They may not even realize that's what the tire shop is putting on. They go in the tire shop, ask for a 265/75 or whatever, and the shop throws on whatever they have. There may be no mention of load rating. This could sour you on LT tires, for sure. The Trooper will ride like a tank.

Also, the heavier load rating equals much heavier tires, which equals inferior acceleration, braking, and gas mileage. Those "D" and "E" rated tires will give you a hernia trying to lift them. The poor Trooper won't be too happy trying to get all that mass turning, then having to get all that rotating mass stopped. The poor suspension will be screaming trying to keep all that unsprung weight from bouncing all over the place.
    EXCELLENT points! 255/70's will be be indistinguishable from stock, and will be very difficult to locate. 265/70's are my preference . . . the 75's create too much speedo error for me. But, to each his own.

265/70's add 1.1 inch in diameter, 0.5 inch in sidewall width, and they're still within the tire manufacturers' recommended rim widths. AND, you can buy them all day long at most tire dealers. Granted, the spare tire cover won't fit over them, but you can keep the stock spare for emergencies, and save the cost of swapping the stock spare for a fifth that you will rarely, if ever, use.

FWIW, I'm still leaning toward Yoko Geolandar H/T-S G051's as my replacement tires. No off-roading here, they look good, and they have great reviews on www.tirerack.com.
  • troop2shostroop2shos Member Posts: 235
    255/70's are readily available & are much easier to locate than the 245's - plus I found them to much less expensive since they're more popular.
    The 255's only add about 1/2" in dia. Even with this small increase, you will notice the gear ratio change related to acceleration.
    FWIW, I've been very impressed with my 255 Bstone Revo A/T's & their aggressive tread is quiet on the road. I negotiated my set from a local Firestone dealer (called several) & bought them for a lot less money than from the TireRack who I've used in the past.
  • bawbcatbawbcat Member Posts: 118
    255/70's are not rare. A quick seach on Tire Rack shows 44 tire models in 245/70, 42 in 255/70, and 49 in 265/70. Not a big difference. Going to 255 is enough to improve the appearance of the vehicle in my opinion. This is a personal preference, obviously. I'm not recommending against going larger than 255, just saying that 255 is a reasonable option. Keep in mind that larger the tire you choose, the more weight and speedo error you are adding, and more reduction in acceleration you will get.
  • boxtrooperboxtrooper Member Posts: 843
    Kevlar tires are very common and popular for bicycles as a way to save energy.
    Anybody got an idea how to contact the right people inside the tire makers to request they start marketing a kevlar belted instead of steel belted tire?
    I think a 10 lb. lighter tire that promissed better acceleration and better MPG would be extremely popular, yet I do not see them on the market. I would be happy to pay 50% more for a set of lighter tires in trade for MPG improvement and better accelleration.
    If going to a larger size tire could be done without adding tread weight oe even reducing tread weight a little, then it might be possible that the higher overall gear ratio using big tires could translate into better MPG from gear ration in addition to the MPG saved by lighter tires. Especially true for high torque diesels coming to the SUVs near you in 2006.
    In comparing the Revo AT on TireRack to the Geolandar H/T-S G051, they have:
    (HT) G051 Noise Comfort 8.6/10
    (AT) Revo Noise Comfort 8.9/10
    Is an AT 8.9 noise more or less "comforting" than and HT 8.6 noise?
    These ratings are from actual users, do the AT crowd have expectations of huge amounts of tire noise and therefore they consider the Revo extremely quiet? If so, then does that mean the G051's are a lot quieter than the Revo?
    Rotate your tires every 3000 mile oil change to keep them quiet.
    Obviously subjective with the TR ratings. The Revo's are surprisingly quiet, though. A friend of mine also runs the Revo's on his F-250 work truck & commented on the improved performance & reduced noise level.
    FWIW, I ran some Armstrong's with Kevlar belts on my LTD a long time ago without seeing any improvements in mpg or acceleration - but anything was better than the OEM Fstone 721's back then.
  • capriracercapriracer Member Posts: 907
    There are several problems with Kevlar as a tire material.

1) It is expensive. Most people won't pay for the added upfront cost, preferring to have a low upfront cost and absorb the reduced fuel economy. This is the situation today as there are many tires available with reduced rolling resistance and this doesn't seem to have much effect in the marketplace. People seem to put much more emphasis on price than on performance.

2) For passenger cars, rolling resistance is more a function of tread compound than the overall weight of the tire. Put another way, in a bicycle, the ply fabric is a much larger pecentage of the overall weight of the tire than in a passenger car tire. Besides, the weight of a tire is only a part of the rolling resistance and in the big scheme of things, tread compound is much more of a factor.

3) Kevlar has a peculiar property. It works well when in tension, but is weak when put in compression. While this is a minor problem with a bicycle tire, it can not be tolerated in an automobile or truck tire.

Hope this helps.
    TR's rating scale is intended to be an indicator of user satisfaction, with "10" being the highest level. However, due to the highly subjective nature of user's ratings, a difference of 0.3 in a given factor is negligible.

More important than raw numerical ratings are the combined number of user miles for a given tire. In other words, an 8.0 factor rating for a tire with two million miles worth of user experience is likely more reliable than a factor rating of 9.0 for a tire with only 200K combined user miles.

Everything is relative. For any given user rating, we don't know the user's point of reference - what tire is the rated tire being compared to? A mediocre tire may be rated very highly simply because it performed better than a truly sorry tire.

There are a lot of pitfalls in using those ratings. For example, it's probably pointless to compare raw ratings between tires in different categories such as HT and AT tires. Their different construction, handling and performance characteristics make a head to head comparison difficult at best.

The Revo may well be the quietest of all AT tires, but still noisier than many HT tires. The more open, blocky tread pattern on the Revo's leads me to think they would be noisier on road than the G051's. But, since I have no personal experience with EITHER tire, I could be dead wrong.
    Well, factors / conditions related to tire noise are still being studied & tested. Generalizations related to more open / closed tread patterns cannot be made - some open & more aggresive tread patterns can exhibit less noise than what could be described on the surface as a highway tread pattern...not limited to air evacuation or tread block & groove design / compression at the point of surface contact.
  • starmanstarman Member Posts: 6
    I just bought a 94 Trooper with 90,000 miles. Evrything looks good and I have had it for 2 weeks now. I just want to know what should I have a mechanic look at and what items might need attention soon.

Also if anyone knows anything about possible problems to look out for I would appreciate it.
    I have retained my stock size spare tire. Never bought the 5 tire dealio. No different than having a donut tire on your car. So far in 80K miles I've only needed to put it on 1x and it didn't bother me that much for the 20 miles to the next gas station.

-mike
    Correction -

Upsizing from 245 to 255/70's =
    +0.6 inches in diameter
    +0.39 inches in cross section width

Upsizing from 245 to 265/70's =
    +1.1 inches in diameter
    +0.78 inches in cross section width
    I noticed a huge difference with 265/70s over sand. The extra 3/4" width and 5/8" of ground clearance made the truck handle much better on the beaches in Nantucket.

Not that I couldn't go all the same places with the stock tires, but it was much easier to drive out of/over tracks and the truck no longer kissed the sand over bumps. So the slight increase in both directions improved the offroad ride a lot. That is the main reason why I went with larger tires and happy I did so.
    My Revos were extremely quiet when new, quieter than the old worn out set of Dueler H/L they replaced. I am not sure if the Revo would have been quieter than the HL if the HL were new, I'd suspect not. Now after 45K miles and missing tire rotation for >10K miles they are loud. I 2500 miles ago recently had them rotated, the noise gradually got less, but now they seem loud (not really very noisy, but noticeably much louder than new) again.
    I am starting to watch for deals on tires. I think I might try the G051's this time, or maybe another set of Revos... The 45K old Revo tread is definately good enough for another winter. So I would feel like I am waisting if I changed them right now.
    I am also wanting to upgrade the suspension to the OME HD rear springs, Sway Away front torsion bars and OME HD shocks all the way around. HD is one step up from the softest. While at it I will put on the poly sway bar bushings. But money is tighter than it used to be, so I keep puting it off.
    So, for sand beaches I should get a floatation tire like the 275/70 or might the 265/75 squat down more at low pressure for sand? Would the G051 tread be as good as the Revo tread in sand?
    As I've said before, I have no personal experience with any of those tires. But based solely on tread design, those G051's look like real street tires, and nothing more. I'm interested in them because I do ZERO off-roading in my 2WD '01 LS, and I want to make the highway drive as quiet, comfortable and controlled as possible. AND, they seem to be lower-priced than the comparable B'stone HP's (I AM a cheapskate at heart!).

I've read some reviews of the Revo's that indicate they are real rock slingers. Again, look at the tread design - they got some mighty big tread openings. Even though I like their looks, specs and reviews, if they beat the beJesus out of the lower body panels, I'm not sure they're for me.
    I'm not sure that agressive tread design necessarily equates to loud tires. I believe it's possible to design treads that provide a sort of harmonic noise cancellation. I can tell you, regardless of the look of the Revo tread, they are exceedingly quiet. My last set got louder with wear, as all tires do. At least every tire I've ever had got louder with wear. I confess to not being very diligent about rotating my tires. If I rotate every 10,000 miles, it's a miracle. I promise to do better with my new tires. At 40,000 miles, my last set of Revos were noticeable, but not objectionable. New - they are flat silent.

As far as rock throwing, I live in northern Nevada and I regularly drive on rocky dirt roads, often at pretty high speeds. I have never noticed them throwing rocks into the wheel wells. My lower body panels are just fine. I don't think this is something to worry about.
    I just filled up my Revos to 44 psi. The recent rotate and balance event left them at 33 psi. The ride is much better now and the tire noise seems less.
    I think even though I complain about the loudness of my Revos, they are quieter than most AT tires. I am spoiled from their very quiet ride when new.
  • serranotserranot Member Posts: 113
    I too purchased Revos, and they are fantastic. They are at least as quiet as the stock tire, and their grip in the rain is phenomenal compared to the stockers. You can't break them free, even in tight corners. The original tires were like slicks by comparison.

The only downside I can see is that they must have substantial rolling resistance or mass. They noticeably sapped acceleration and gas mileage. I still think they are worth the trade-off.

Tom
    What tire pressure do you run? I did not notice a MPG or accelleration hit when going to the Revos, but then, I did not drive the stock tires long, I was replacing my 1995 Trooper which was rear eneded hard enough to launch the $6000 airbags and therefore totalled, anyway, what I did was swap the Revos from my 1995 to my 2001 after owning the 2001 just a week. All five tires on the rims will fit in the back with the rear seat up.
    I run about 35 psi.

Tom
  • nixonnixon Member Posts: 11
    I have power window that is refusing to roll completely up on my 1995 trooper
    The last time this happened to the driver's window was frozen over when i attempted to roll it down costing me $700 to repair to replace the entire window.
    Now its the rear right window, and i can't spend that much again. Any suggestions.
    terry
    Well 2 weeks after they added a slip agent to my transfer case and the TOD system isn't binding anymore?

Not sure how long I should continue to investigate the issue? I think the onus is on the dealer to call me and close the ticket, so I am going to keep it open until they do.

I am trying to figure out if there is any good testing I can do other than doing tight circles in a parking lot when cold? I have driven uphill on slick pavement and have felt the fronts engaging, so it seems normal.
  • sdc2sdc2 Member Posts: 780
    Nitto Terra Grapplers

Discount Tire has 'em. They were great for me, at least until my Trooper got totaled in the wreck.
    Here's a picture of the NITTO's:
    http://www.truckxpressions.com/truckaccessories/tires/nitto.htm
    To me they look a lot like the Michelin LTX M/S. Are they quiet? They come in D and E load range, I did not see a lighter rated tire. Smallest was LT265/75R16
    Did your tire related ability to stop or handling have anything to do with your wreck?
    Hello? Where is everyone?
    We almost made a record of one week without a post.