Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Trooper

Comments

• 94trooper94trooper Member Posts: 1
    I have a 94 Trooper S series w Power windows. I have lost power to the main switch and had to bypass it to make them work. The fuse is good and has power.Is there a additional relay or switch that can cause the power fail? Tried wire diagrams for the car but nothing on Power windows. I think it might be tied to the starter switch or relay. Help
    Trooper Steve
  • bsmart1bsmart1 Member Posts: 377
    Anyone experienced a failure of the muffler on your Trooper? My 01' started making an unusual noise some time ago so I had the mechanic check it out. He said the baffles inside the muffler had come loose, causing the noise. I priced a muffler from St. Charles ISUZU.......$509 !! I think I'll go with a generic. I've replaced a Trooper muffler in the past, but the quiet sound just wasn't there afterward, it was a throaty sound. Anybody got a brother-in-law in the muffler buz?
  • boxtrooperboxtrooper Member Posts: 843
    I have been told by http://www.creechimports.com/, my trusty mechanic, that there is a problem in the exhaust where some metal parts come loose inside and rattle. They said repair would be temporary, since the new parts (it is fair to assume they were talking about genuine Isuzu parts) would fail the same way.
    So, If you find a suitable alternative that does not return to the rattle, please post about it. I will then fix mine.
    Meanwhile, the rattle is only during certain types of acceleration and then only for several seconds, not really all that bothersome to me.
  • kobokokoboko Member Posts: 34
    I just discovered that one of my rear brake lights is not working, I'm assuming its a burnt bulb. Is it relatively straightforward to replace the bulb? I'm assuming I have to loosen the 2 screws & the whole light assy comes off, and then simply replacing the bulb. Any input would be appreciated, its a 2001 Trooper. Another problem I'm having is with the tailgate power lock, it always opens with the other power locks but doesn't always close. Has anybody else had the same problem? Don't really know how to start troubleshooting this one. Thanks.
  • billmakbillmak Member Posts: 2
    Don't know about the 2001 Trooper, but on my 1999 there are 2 screws on the outside AND 1 screw and 2 tabs on the inside that you can access by opening the rear doors. Once you have the unit loose, just turn the bulb holder counterclockwise and remove. Should take about 5 minutes. Sorry, but I can't help with the tailgate lock.
    Thanks, replaced the bulb yesterday, was pretty straightforward as you mentioned. Only thing I noticed was that the rubber seal was disintegrating with age, might have to replace it if another bulb goes out in future. Now I have to try to figure out the liftgate power lock problem...
  • matausmataus Member Posts: 43
    I AM LOOKING FOR A MANUAL TRANSMISSION FOR A 1990 ISUZU TROOPER 5 SPEED WITH A 2.8 LITER V6. THE TRANY CAN COME FROM A 1989,90,OR 91.

THANKS A BUNCH...

MADDY :confuse:
  • farrlandsfarrlands Member Posts: 1
    I am new to this forum, and look forward to responses. My 1996 "Trusty" has 158,000 miles, and has moved with me to the Virgin Islands. There are many shade tree mechanics and each has a different view. The "clicking" sounds come and go, and one person suggested finding out the "lifter" type for this model to determine how to help. Does anyone have a suggestion? Also may need some transmission help soon. Would a replacement transmission be better than a "kit"? Thanks!
    Your 96' Trooper has the 3.2L V6 which is known for the 'clicking' or valve 'ticking' sound. While it is annoying, its very common, and not a threat to engine life. Many things have been tried to remedy it, but few have had lasting results. I wouldn't waste much time worrying about it unless it gets very loud, which might the sign of impending engine failure!!

The transmission on the other hand is a different issue. A replacement Automatic will cost about $5K and repair quotes typically run about $2K. I hope your's isn't in serious trouble.
    Has anyone on this board swapped the ECU or the chip from a 2000 - 2002 model Trooper into a 1998 - 1999 Trooper? I have an 01' and a 99' both of which run just fine, but the 01' will run circles around the 99'. I believe it has to do with the electronics on the 01' and the programming of the ECU, or chip. If a chip replacement would work, i'd do it in a heartbeat!!
  • 93trooper193trooper1 Member Posts: 7
    I have a 93 Trooper with the same ticking sound. (Pushing close to 190,000 mile on the baby).

Actually there are two sounds I get - one is the engine itself which has been there pretty well for some time. The other seems to be associated with the timing chain. I've come to notice that the timing chain tends to rattle more when the oil is low (pressure still OK though).
  • forddawg1forddawg1 Member Posts: 2
    I am having the EXACT SAME ISSUES with my 1998 trooper right down to the switching back and forth from the fresh and recirculated air will sometimes bring it back to life. I already changed the voltage regulator and it seemed to help for about 3 months. The blower motor seems OK when removed and plugged into 12 VDC.
    Were you able to fix your problem? If so could you detail how you fixed it for us?
    Thanks a lot.
    CP
  • tkevinblanctkevinblanc Member Posts: 356
    atfdmike:

I determined that the problem with my heater blower was the resistor controller (don't know what this piece is called). By examining it, I figured out which were the "bypass the resistors connectors" were in the plug, and I jumpered it with a piece of solid 14 guage wire. When I turn the fan switch to high, it blows like stink.

The resistor controller unit is held into the air duct with two screws, just "downwind" of the fan, right behind the glovebox. Take out the glovebox (four screws) and you on it.

Now, to find an Isuzu dealer that actually has the part...

Thanks for your help with the wiring diagrams and the concepts.
  • samngramsamngram Member Posts: 1
    can any body tell me what xs means,i think it has something to do with the transmission.does anybody elses trooper have two buttons by the automatic shifter that says power and winter drive. thanx
  • atfdmikeatfdmike Member Posts: 414
    Hi, Sounds like you worked it out. Good luck finding part, but maybe you can adapt a different model if you can't find the exact match.
    The Trooper you have has the options to increase traction on slippery surface by starting and staying in 3rd gear. That is your winter drive. Usually the instructions were on the driver's visor. I believe you can just hit the button while driving to turn it off and the next time you stop, it should be back to normal. The Power switch changes the shift points of the trans so that it will keep the torque curve in the optimum band. I have only known it to be used for towing a load.
    I am not sure what the "xs" you refer to is about. Hope this helps.
  • danielf2danielf2 Member Posts: 3
    I'v been burning oil @ a quart every 1000 miles. Is there reason to be concerned? Thanks. DBF_1997@yahoo.com
    Can you provide some instructions on cleaning the EGR valve? I'm not that familiar with it. Also how do you replace the PCV valve? Thanks for any assistance. DBF_1997@yahoo.com. BTW...I have an '00 Trooper LS, 2X4.
    I've been tracking the closing prices on EBAY for Troopers and using a very simple linear regression (straight line) of the data I've taken (n=63), with a relationship of miles to price, I'd say a fair price is $5,390. This does not take into relationship age, condition, appointments, etc. It simply compares miles to closing price on EBAY (for those auctions that met or exceeded the reserve price). The equation for those interested is y= -0.0161+6975.
    cool equation,
    Now, automate your algorithm and create a web page, with ads for all sorts of stuff to buy.
    Next, offer the technology as a service for market research
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    The equation for those interested is y= -0.0161+6975.

Don't you need one or more independent variables on the right side? :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    The part wasn't bad at all... $42 from the dealer.

Thanks again.
    I had a trusted mechanic tell me that that codes say that my MAF is bad at 80K (the CEL was on). The OEM MAFs are about $500.

I found an *aftermarket* MAF for $155... any chance it will actually work?

Anyone else interested, send me an e-mail and I'll send you the link.
    There's an FAQ here on cleaning the EGR port/tube:

http://isuzufaq.ibctech.ca/#faq1

If that link doesn't come through (CarSpace might not like it), e-mail me.
  • kencobrakencobra Member Posts: 3
    I have a 1995 Trooper 4 x 4 that I have had for a little over a year. I just noticed, first by smell, that the drivers side floor board is very wet. Looks like it soaked from the floor board up instead of floor mat down. Anyone have any ideas? Could it be something like the A/C ?

Thanks
    Could be a leaky windshield seal, have you changed the windshield lately?
    I would clean out the vents below the wipers on the hood and make sure nothing is blocking the areas around under the hood near the firewall.
    I enjoyed a 1995 Trooper for 140K+ miles before it was rear ended so hard the air bags went off and that $6000 air bag repair totaled it.
    The A/C coil is right there, behind the glove box. The fan motor is to the right(turn it on and you'll hear it) the A/C coil is housed closer to the transmission hump. It's pretty easy to get the glove box off (two screws at the bottom hold the hinges to the dashboard frame) so you can get a better look. There is an line for draining the condensation out through the firewall, and, if it's plugged, you could get a leak like that.
  • wlbrown9wlbrown9 Member Posts: 867
    http://www.isuzufaq.com/ look at the section for the EGR valve...should be links to instructions and pictures here. Also, look for the PCV valve section. There is a good diagram there that shows the location (driver side of engine). A new PCV valve was maybe $3 at AutoZone if I remember correctly, so I just replaced mine even though the old one looked and sounded okay.
  • bmmd83bmmd83 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to buy a 2002 Trooper. I am trying to find out if there major problems with this vehicle. From reading all the reviews the only thing I seem to run across is possible excessive oil usage. Any other possible problems? Like transmissions? Thanks!
    I like to keep things simple so less stuff to break, I occasionally drive my Trooper very hard, and I like the tight coupling of a clutch vs torque converter...so I have always bought manual transmission Troopers. More fun less to break. However, the later year Troopers with automatic have TOD which manages 4wd so that you can drive 4wd on patchy ice roads, a feature which I think is really nice.
    I have had 1984 Trooper 201K miles, 1995 Trooper 140K miles, then rear ended, totaled even though it was still drive able. Now I have a 2001, very nice one previous owner who took great care. I have no troubles with it except that I should keep it cleaner than I do.
  • cindy19cindy19 Member Posts: 3
    hi I just got 1992 isu trooper LS given to me and Im not sure if the gas gauge works or not i was told to check my fuses now is that true or do i just take a chance and drive it until it runs out of gas? I would appreciate it if someone could help me ouy with this
    I had a Greenbriar Eight Door Deluxe Corvair Van once upon a time. I drove it across the country South to North without a fuel gauge because the gauge parts inside the tank were gummed up. I took time the remove the fuel tank and fixed it. I also swapped the engine for a freshly rebuilt one, and in so doing, destroyed the speedometer gauge cable. I had no choice but to continue on my journey which was to cross the country East to West.
    While the fuel gauge was stuck, I used an assumption for MPG and the odometer to guess when I needed to fill up. And while the speedometer and odometer did not work I used the gas gauge to guess how far I'd driven, along with mile markers and a map. I sometimes followed another car at a resonable distance to get the speed about right.
    I have a 2001 Trooper that was bought new, its been absolutely flawless with the only problem being a faulty drive-by-wire sensor after 4 years ($300 fix!!). Apart from that just routine maintenance (oil changes, belt replacement, tires, etc.). It does consume some oil, in my case 1qt every 2000miles which is normal for these engines. Good luck with your search, we are very happy with our Trooper (only negative is fuel consumpt. at ~14-15mpg in town, this adds up with current gas prices!).
  • gwood1986gwood1986 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 1996 Trooper and the amp thats in it is blown or needs a new fuse cause my sound on my CD Player doesnt work everything else works on it but no sound. Does anybody know where the Amp. is at on the Trooper...
    There's something that looks like that under the seat...
  • gwood1986gwood1986 Member Posts: 3
    which seat. i have already looked there and i dont think i saw it,but i'll look again in daylight. And are you sure its in a 1996 model?
    No, mine is a 1998. Sorry. I didn't notice that.
    As others have said Troopers are good vehicles, and very reasonable used car prices. The only thing about the 2002 models that I've noticed, is that they may NOT have the same features for the same model level of previous year models. I think this has to do with it being the final year built for USA. I think they were using up what assembly parts were available to build the 2002 models.
    For example if you are looking at a LS model, it might come with cloth vs. leather, or black outside mirrors vs. color matched to exterior paint color. The A/C controls may be from a late 90's version vs. the 00' forward version. You might get manual operated seats vs. electric, or other interior trim differences. Most of these things are just cosmetic, but if you're picky it matters. I don't know that they did anything unusual with the driveline on the 2002 model.
    Well today I thought I'd run some Sea Foam through the intake to do some top cylinder lubrication. I read threads where some have used the PCV valve vacuum line to draw the liquid into the common chamber. Some have mentioned tons of smoke resulting, some say the vehicle dies, won't continue to run etc. Well in my case..........I sucked about 1/3 of a can of Sea Foam through the PCV vacuum line. It didn't take but a few seconds to consume it all, and there was NO black smoke out the tailpipe as a result!! I was surprised. I also tried to kill the engine by shoving the hose down to the bottom of the liquid.....nope it just sucked it up and kept on running!! This engine must be much cleaner than those talking of black smoke during this exercise. Anyway, I guess it must be due to a good grade of 'clean' fuel. I've been using Valero Premium for about a year now, and it must be doing a good job. I'm thinking of trying Shell gas, I've heard it has additives that improve fuel mileage, and keep your engine as well. We'll see......
    I shut the engine off as quickly as I could after the Sea Foam was gone. I let the engine sit for several hours before starting it up again. On 1st restart there was smoke for about 15 seconds after start. On next start after sitting for 30 minutes, about 30 seconds of smoke. On next start after sitting overnight, about 1 minute of smoke. Smoke continues to appear after each re-start so far. More later.........may have loosened up the rings more than is adviseable for an engine with 100K+ miles on it.
    Well.......smoke at startup continued a couple of more times. The smoke was light blue, indicating oil burn. It gradually got to be less and less, and has now stopped altogether. WHEW, I was beginning to worry that I had done the wrong thing putting SF thru the intake like this. All appears to be will now. I'll monitor oil consumption and see if anything changes.
    I left the Sea Foam in the crankcase of my 99' Trooper for about 700 miles, and about that same amount of miles for the 01'. The oil drained from the 99' afterward was terribly black, I've never seen it like that before. So it appears the Sea Foam was cleaning out the crankcase and block internals. I don't do the oil change on my 01'Troop, so I didn't see the oil that came out of it, probably about the same condition. I did use a can of Sea Foam in the gas tank as well, and think it was beneficial in cleaning the fuel injectors. No results to prove it really..........
  • matausmataus Member Posts: 43
    I have a 1990 Isuzu Trooper 5 speed manual. With a 2.8 liter v6.

I was wondering if there is anyone out there that can tell me how to tweek my air/fuel mixture on my carborator. I can't seem to figure it out. I can't even seem to find it in the Chilltons manual. I am having a problem with ecceleration on my truck. I did do a complete tune-up on my truck. Ie: plugs/wires/cap/roter/o2 sensor/fuel filter/fuel system flush. All the above. When I hit the gas on my truck, it bogs down. This usually happens if I press on the gas to much. My truck will jerk on and off when I hit the gas. Almost like its getting and then not getting fuel. If there is anyone out there who can help, it would be greatly appreciated...

Maddy :confuse:
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Hmm, try putting the old stuff on? Perhaps they gave you the wrong cap and rotor? I had that on my 74 Oldmobile.

-mike
  • jfrozenh2ojfrozenh2o Member Posts: 18
    i have a 94 trooper, with new plugs, new fuel filter, new timing belt, ive done extensive work on this to get it running great. my latest problem is that when i start it, it takes a while before it fires up, once fired up runs great. only when the vehicle sits overnight or for a couple hours does this problem occur. if im driving it and turn it off then back on, it fires right up. what could this be?- jes
    and not a slight delay either. if it wasnt for my new alternator and titanium battery from advanced auto parts, it would be juiced out, because it takes so long for it to fire up. i also have oil accumulating in my spark plug chamber, and know that isuzu made a new set of wires to cure that problem but dont know what kind they are and where to purchase them. or if this is related to my delayed startup
    I believe you may be mistaking the Throttle Body Injector for a carburetor on your Trooper. I don't know for sure, but I don't think the 2.8 was available carbureted?
    One guys opinion.
    When you turn on the ignition, do you hear the fuel pump turn on for a couple seconds and then turn off? It is supposed to do that, and then after cranking a little while the oil pressure rise allows the pump to turn on again as long as there is oil pressure. So is your oil pressure good?? Another possibility that is suggested often is the fuel pressure regulator on the engine. It is supposed to allow fuel at preset pressure reach injectors. If if leaks down, the whole system has to repressurize, basically. Finally, I have read that there may be a check valve at the fuel tank (pump maybe) that is supposed to keep fuel from draining back to tank, but I have never seen it for myself.
    I would try jumpering the fuel pump at the relay first thing in the morning and pressurizing the fuel system before trying to start it to see if that cures the problem. If it does, then you can choose which components to check next. I am curious, though, about whether this condition just started or has been going on a while?
    Hope this helps, one guys opinion.
    yes if i try pressurising the fuel system by switching it to on then waiting 5 seconds, then off(repeat 2 or 3 times) then turn the key all the way it fires up quite fast. but i thought that if a fuel pump is bad, it doesnt give any sign and it just goes out. also how do i jump the fuel pump like you say? this problem of delayed start has occured since i purchased the trooper in january this year. like i said prior, i have replaced alot of stuff that would have to do with start up, including starter, plugs, fuel filter, timing belt, and ive cleaned fuel injectors and used sea foam for my whole system. Basically i am about to just replace my fuel pump soon, my oil pressure is great. ive talked with most and if the regulator and the pump were bad, it wouldnt work at all. so im still not sure what to do- thanks
    also does oil in my spark plug resevoir have anything to do with this problem. does anyone know more about the new plugs that isuzu made to prevent this as far as finding them