Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Trooper

Comments

• nicelandniceland Member Posts: 2
    When driving the car runs unconstantly, like misfiring petrol engine, and the dealer carage could not find out what the problem is. If I step a little on the trottle the engine runs fine, but when the car has reached constant speed it starts to stall again. The car is 5 gear manual. Any ideas..............................
  • uclamnepolouclamnepolo Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I have a 98 3.5L 4x4 Isuzu Trooper and the other day on the freeway I heard a loud bang and a little bit after that my front left tire jammed. I pulled over and got it towed. I took off the front wheel and checked and one of the two bolts that attach the suspension systems to the break/wheel assembly is missing. I imagine it snapped and that is the loud noise I heard. I can easily replace the bolt but I am worried it will happen again and there is a bigger problem. Talking to some people they told me it is probably the caliper. I got brake pads and rotors changes a few weeks ago and I had no problem until now. What do you think? Any suggestions on what I could do/check? I would like to take it to a mechanica knowing what the issue is so they cannot rip me off claiming it is something big. Thank you in advance for your help,
    Krsto
  • tracmectracmec Member Posts: 2
    Could someone give me a couple of good links for an online parts source for my 84 trooper? Some of the common ones I've tried like JC Whitney don't really seem to carry many parts for my truck. Right now I need a heater core and rear axle bearings.
  • atfdmikeatfdmike Member Posts: 414
    The best and fastest source I have found for OEM Isuzu parts is Jerry LeMond, who is a retired Isuzu technician. He bought tons of parts from closing Isuzu dealers and ships fast and cheap too. If you know your part no. that helps, but he can help you figure it out too so send him an email with your year, model and what you are looking for and he will shoot you a price. jlemond@bellsouth.net

If you want to try an online place with quality parts but not necessarily OEM, then Rock auto is pretty good but ships expensive.

HTH One guys opinion
  • serranotserranot Member Posts: 113
    Jerry has been very good to me with both new and used OEM parts. I buy from him without research because (a) I always get what I need; (b) the prices are more than reasonable; and (c) he provides free tech support!
  • tracmectracmec Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for your help.
  • trooperguytrooperguy Member Posts: 19
    Can anyone describe the location of the Trans Mode Switch p/n 8-96017-511-0 on a 1998 Trooper?
    edited March 2010
    It is on the shifter input shaft of the transmission. It is on driver side, . It has a pretty big wire harness hooked to it and has to be adjusted correctly for the trans to work right. this link should take you to an image of what it looks like . you can also search for it on www.myisuzuparts.com. HTH One guys opinion.

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z85/atfdmike/modeswitchautotrans.gif
    Thanks for the illustration. Do you know what is a reasonable time or charge for installation? I was quoted 2 hours or $200 for installation by Pugmire Isuzu in Marietta, GA. Can you describe the work involved? Thanks again. FYI - Jerry Lemond, as mentioned above, stocks the switch.
    To be honest, I do most of my own work, so I can only guess as to why they would tell you two hours. Put your truck on a hoist, remove the part, which entails removing a nut from the shaft, mounting bolts and the harness clips and unplugging connector. Little harder to install, reverse the above and then it has to be adjusted, driven to make sure shifter lights and shift lever agree and that trans behaves normally.
    Two hours is a tad high but barring unforseen problems it sounds pretty typical for a dealer, especially if you are not buying the switch from them! Hope this helps!
  • carlboy1carlboy1 Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2010
    car with 200000 miles on it. started bucking ,changed s. plugs (80k on them). oil was in the plug tubes?? ram ok for 1 day then started dying, but wold re start. last time had hard time starting, when wood start rpm gauge would respond jumping with engine missing (all cyl) local shop cant find any thing wrong? good men also!
  • arkblujarkbluj Member Posts: 1
    while driving our suv we had to slam on the brakes and the cel light came on .took it to autozone and it shows two codes;p1404 and p0402 one is egr valve stuck and the other says egr system fault,any ideas on how to check it out ?for some reason Haynes and Chilton dont make manuels for this generation of trooper
  • budermbuderm Member Posts: 9
    i was just wondering if anyone knew where to find a pdf or document showing all the maintenance points on the troopers. I have the trooper manual, and the first section has the maintenance schedule, but that mainly shows the major fluid changes and the typical items, but i'm more interested in items such as grease fittings etc. Those are not shown, and i really have no clue how many are on the trooper and how often to perform maintenance and what grease, etc. any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Thanks again for your help. Purchased switch from Jerry and had it installed by mechanic he recommended. Also had ABS problem fixed. Trooper shifting & stopping like new again.
    Jerry is great!!
  • mall0ymall0y Member Posts: 2
    I have an 89 trooper. I drove it this morning fine absolutely no problems. I came home and parked it and the went to drive it again. Push in the clutch while its in first and there is no response. Its as if I hadn't pushed the clutch in at all. There is no resistance at all and the pedal goes straight to the floor without engaging. What could be causing this problem? Its an 89 isuzu trooper. Why would it go from working perfectly to not even engaging only a few hours later? There is no grinding or anything unless I try to force it into gear. Please help.......
  • nap123nap123 Member Posts: 2
    Hello loloBH92 ,

Do you already successfully upgrade your power window switches from 1992 to 1995- 2002 switches?

I also want to upgrade my 1992 power window switches. Can you help me if this is possible or not.

Thanks a lot
    Nap
  • nap123nap123 Member Posts: 2
    Hello 94troopers,

Can you help me? I also want to replace my power window switch 94 to 98. Can you email the step procedure you do, any documentation manual steps by steps.

my email address is bfhomes_888@yahoo.com

Thanks in advance
    Nap
    After 94 or 95 Isuzu went to a different design for the switches on the Trooper. The 94 connector does not mate with the later model window connectors. I have not heard of anyone being able to adapt the later switches themselves to the earlier switches. If you are talking about switching the whole trim assembly from the later to the earlier, that may be possible, but you will still have to match the wiring connectors up somehow. You can go to www.myisuzuparts.com and enter your info (or info you want) and look at the schematics....it is a great site. HTH
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    It could be as simple as a loose cable or as bad as a broken clutch cylinder. Have you had a mechanic look at it yet?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • mexicolindamexicolinda Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1991 6-cyl Trooper. For much of the last months I have had cooling problems which led to adding water without coolant. I replaced the radiator awhile back and just had my water pump replaced when the bearing died and a new radiator cap as the one I had didn't keep pressure. Two days later I blew a small (but large enough) hole through the wall of the approximately 2" thick cast piece between the water pump and the motor. Inside this piece it was corroded and worn thin at both the holes where the water goes into the motor. I am now very worried that my motor must look the same inside because the same water went through it. But I am hoping maybe it could be electrolysis that caused the one part to go bad and the motor might be ok. Is this possible? The car runs and sounds good.
  • dmassdmass Member Posts: 2
    i just bought a 95 trooper. it is in excellent condition except that the only (power) door lock that works is the driver's. any ideas on an easy fix?

also, anyone know of a place/way to purchase/install a remote keyless entry. this model doesn't have one.

thanks!
  • egyptgerryegyptgerry Member Posts: 22
    Hi there,i had the same problem and purchased a system from META,Bought it on ebay and it was not to bad to fit it,not only locks and opens all doors but is also a full closure alarm system,Not sure of the current price but have a look for one,regards GERRY
  • dmassdmass Member Posts: 2
    did you install yourself? was it easy? it works even though the other door locks dont? can't find it on ebay.
    hi everyone,

I have a 2000 trooper Automatic, TOD, and had some issues with my transmission and most of them are resolved now. The only thing I notice is that it gets extremely warm (never warm enough to get the trans temp light on). For some reason I may think that I have accidentally reversed the hoses to/from the radiator to the transmission. I labeled them but I just have that feeling maybe I have them reverse.

Does it matter? and if so, can someone look at their lines and tell me where the back cooling line from the tranny goes to - either the right or left hose of the inlet to the radiator (towards the bottom). the front cooling line would obviously go to the other hose.

Thanks a bunch

back of the tranny being exhaust and front being engine
    right being passenger side, left being drivers side

Also - has anyone installed an extra cooler? thanks
    Trans runs normal from 190 to 220 range. Hi Temp light comes on about 285 or so. I cant imagine how much extremely warm is. As far as the trans cooler inlet and outlet, it does not matter, heat exchanger works either way in radiator.I added a cooler to mine, no big deal. Kits are available at part stores and online. Opinions vary on whether to put cooler before or after the radiator. I have heard of it being done both ways...but important to NOT bypass the radiator. HTH One guys opinion.
  • windfastwindfast Member Posts: 2
    Isuzu Trooper Automatic box 3.2 SOHC that can change the Isuzu Trooper 3.2 DOHC? It's the same? I found transmission from a Trooper 3.2 SOHC. I can put on my car Trooper 3,2 DOHC ?
    edited April 2010
    The Trooper transmission is the same for the same model years 93 and up...EXCEPT you have to remember that the TCase is part of the unit and later models were available with TOD, so as long as you get one without TOD, it should swap in with no problems. Same trans regardless of SOHC or DOHC. Flex plate changed to six bolt mount from the three bolt early models...not an insurmountable problem, just grab the flex plate too. HTH One guys opinion.
  • uel1uel1 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 Trooper LS 4WD. It had been running rough and i recently changed the spark plugs and ever since, I've gotten a PO300 code. I took it in to a local Mechanic and he told me it was the fuel pressure regulator, which made it run much better but I still have the code. I've changed the plugs again and the MAF is good, but I still get the code. It comes on soild at idle, and flashes around 2,000 RPM's, but I do not feel or hear a miss. Also, I have confirmed that there is not a vacuum leak. Any ideas? I've run out of them. I want to avoid just swapping out parts.

Thanks,
    Just wondering, what spark plugs did you buy and use in it? I bought some a while back from the part store, that "fit" the trooper but I got the same code.. you have to use the correct ones.
  • dmitrycdmitryc Member Posts: 6
    LOL - I have your identical Trooper with the same year! I have your identical issue. So far, spent about $1500 on the problem; changed everything that was mentioned including the appropriate spark-plugs for this Trooper. Engine light is always either blinking or solid. Nothing worked. Managed to pass inspection by mechanic's suggestion by filling up the gas tank and parking it in the garage over-night; the light did not turn on and it passed. Light came back on the next day. Now, he said, I have to spend about $150 a year on the issue and show the state that an attempt was made to fix the issue and they'll give me a "pass". This mechanic is really good and has worked on many Honda Passports (which have same engines) and many Troopers. My Trooper never feels like it mis-fires. I just now deal with it. Oh, and the starter went a month ago; went somewhere fine, came out, turned the key and nothing, not a click. Good luck!
    Thanks for rsponding buderm,

I originally put in NKG plugs that "fit" the trooper then swapped those out for Denso Iridium plugs (I would have to look at the box for the part #) but it didn't help. If I still had the plugs that were in it originally I would put them back in.

If you know of any other plugs that would work better, I would be willing to give them a try. I've become an expert at changing spark plugs on this Trooper.

Thanks,
    Maybe I will let it ride for a while and see how it goes. I live in a state that does not require inspections, but I grew up in NYS so I know how that goes.

The only thing else I can think of is fuel injectors and coil packs, and that can get expensive to change out.

By the way, my starter went out about a year ago also, and I just had my transmission rebuilt. It's not been a kind year for me with this trooper.

Thanks for the reply.
  • wlbrown9wlbrown9 Member Posts: 867
    Yes...must use the specified plugs. There have been a few discussions about that if you want to look back through the archives. I pulled these from my manual ('00 LS 2wd) several years ago when I changed mine...almost time to give it another go.

Manual:
    K16PR-P11
    PK16PR11
    RC10PYP4

I ended up using the Champion RC10PYP4 plugs since those were the ones it came with originally. Plus at that time IIRC I found them for $3-4 each at Walmart.

I did have a problem with one missing and throwing a Check Engine light due to not getting the coil pack connection seated correctly. Corrected that and it worked fine.

One thing to note is that if the coil pack is stuck you can pop it right off with a little puff of compressed air down the center hole instead of taking the chance of ruining one by twisting and pulling.

Bill
  • matausmataus Member Posts: 43
    Hi All !

I have a 1990 ISUZU TROOPER 5SP STANDARD 2.8LT V.6, and am looking to swap the engine for another with more power. I've heard that there was a Chevy engine that would line up with my tranny. Something in the order of a 3.2 liter chevy engine??? I don't know the details, but if there is anyone out there who would have more specs, it would be greatly appreciated. I just need something more powerful that I can rebuild. There's not a whole more one can do with the 2.8 liters. From what I've been told??? boring out the cylinder, etc.... Again, any help would be awsome.... :confuse:

Maddy
    The 2.8 was given a larger displacement to a 3.1 in later models, so the 3.1 will fit but does not provide significantly more power. The 3.4 used in camaros and firebirds in the late 90's does fit and will work good and is probably the most popular conversion. That said, you need wire harnesses, ECM, sensors, etc; to do the job, and usually have to drill the block to get the starter where it is on your engine now. Most guys that have done it are glad they did, but most do the work themselves for obvious reasons. HTH One guys opinion.
  • matausmataus Member Posts: 43
    I hope someone can help. I am looking to replace my 2.8 liter engine with another that has more power. The high end on the 2.8 liter really sucks. On the other hand, the low end is awesome! Especially in 4 wheel! I'll take my Trooper up against any Jeep! At any time!

I've heard from a few people that there is a Chevy engine that will line up with my tranny. Something in the area of a Chevy 3.1 liter v6. I don't know the specific engine or the year, but if there is something out there that would have more power. it would be great! My 90 Trooper is in excellent condition! I just need a more powerful engine. Would rebuilding my 2.8 liter increase my truck back to the power I once had when new?????????????? :confuse:
  • bobmanxbobmanx Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2010
    Trying to replace the water pump on my Trooper II 4 Cyl , 4x4, 5 spd, and I cant get the crankshaft pulley bolt off ( to remove the timing belt cover for one last water pump bolt) and it refuses to break loose. Tried both directions and cant get it to move. I'm assuming that it is normal threads (left loose & right tighten when looking at it straight on) But how much torque do I need to break it loose? The original owner tried to break it loose by holding the cam pulley and tore up the timing belt, so it also needs to be replaced and that readjusted, but does the crank pulley bolt require a air impact to break it loose while somehow keeping the pulley from turning? Putting the trans in reverse with the emergency brake on does not keep it from turning (manual trans).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob
  • costello1costello1 Member Posts: 60
    Just got a price of $399.00 for the 30k service . This includes oil change, rotate tires ,replace air and fuel filters ,flush transmission and coolant . Is this a good price ?? Thanks for info !!
  • ggongolaggongola Member Posts: 2
    The visor on the driver's side won't stay up anymore. (I have a 2000.) Anyone know how to fix this, or where to buy a replacement visor? I found a lot of gray-colored visors on eBay, but no tan ones for the driver's side.
  • jermech1jermech1 Member Posts: 1
    I also have a 1990 trooper with 2.8 auto, it has 280k miles! Its getting tired, and I'd like a little bigger engine, that doesnt require a lot of swapping electronics. I've heard also there is a 3.1 chev v-6 that will swap. Have you been able to find out any more on this? Thanks!
  • interestedincinterestedinc Member Posts: 4
    Attach your socket and breaker bar in a manner that it is braced and cannot turn ... then bump the starter (make sure you braced it in the correct direction or it will likely launch)... the engine will break loose the bolt.
    I have a 93 Trooper, after the vehicle warms up I will get a miss at idle and at RMPs below 3,000 (especially under load). I recently replaced engine with a used motor-it has good compression across the board, and I installed new plugs and wires, I have tried disconnecting each of the wires one at a time, but I cannot notice any difference as the ECM tries to compensate for the fault. There are no fault codes as OBD-I was not sensitive enough to detect much... At this point my thoughts are pointing toward a dirty fuel injector (I have already put a couple cleaner cans through the system or a funky knock sensor causing the ECM to retard the timing to the point error (while the engine was out i noticed that the knock sensor looked like it had been replaced and wire looked "wonkey").
    Does anyone have have any experience with this issue? Can any one help me rationalize a diagnostic procedure?
    The ABS Light on my 93 Isuzu trooper turns on with the key and never turns off, the ABS doesn't work either. The system is a 4 wheel Bosch Type-1 and does not produce fault codes. I printed out a diagnostic procedure which tells me to measure pin outs on the ABS connector harness, however the procedure may be for the wrong year as it indicates the the harness has only one mass connector and my vehicle has two connectors with make no sense when I try to get a reading (also the two connectors that I found are in cuss inducing, arm scratching, hand cramping, stand on your head, and balance while trying to stick small probes in even smaller holes location).
    Has anyone worked on this ABS system before?
  • mechanic39mechanic39 Member Posts: 1
    My 94 trooper wont let me engage into any gear, seems like it is stuck or locked up. I have tried to push the button, move it, force it, but to no avail. It just seems like it is locked into place and wont budge at all. We did just have a real bad cold snap with temps down to -30 below with the wind chill, might have had something to do with it.
    Anyone got any suggestions?
    edited January 2011
    Have you looked to see if your brake lights are working? There is an interlock that requires you to depress the brake pedal before shifting the shifter out of park. I just don't remember if it is cable operated or electrical...a frozen cable would sure be easier to explain. You can check a service manual....or even try www.myisuzuparts.com to see how the system fits together. It is a free site and may tell you more than I can. HTH One guys opinion.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Hey all! Back on Edmunds for me! Hope everyone is well!

-mike
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Hey Paisan, long time no see! Nice to see that one of your New Year's Resolutions included stopping back in. :)
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Yeah I've been away far too long! Will be good to get back in the swing of Edmunds forums again. Interesting new interface.

-mike
  • motorhead17motorhead17 Member Posts: 1
    It may be your EGR valve. The EGR valve on the 2000s are electrically opened while the engine is under load and shut when at idle. If they stick open(weak spring or carbon build up) at idle the engine will run rough. Try tapping on the EGR solenoid(little silver can on the back of the intake manifold) with the park brake on and engine in park or neutral and see if the idle smooths out. EGR valves are about $120, two bolts and an electrical plug hold it on. This worked on the 2000 3.5L. Hope this helps.