Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Trooper

Comments

• paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    It may be longer, yes, but interior volume the Trooper IIRC is still a bunch of feet larger. The engine is nice in the Trailblazer/envoy, but you will still have the closed in feel of the SUV. I've driven both the Envoy and own a Trooper. The Trooper has a much better outward view both forward and rear and side, and the window sills are lower as well as floor pan height, yet has a greater or equal ground clearance. The lower window sills give the appearance of a more open and airy cabin with larger picture windows. Also pricing is much higher on the Trailblazer than the Trooper's actual selling price which is one of the major items that put me in it, as well as the AWD system on the Trooper excels in all weather conditions and is pro-active rather than re-active. Good luck in your decision! Any other questions feel free to ask.

-mike
  • fiveharpersfiveharpers Member Posts: 53
    I just came from owning a GM truck. It sent me into doing lots of research for a dependable replacement, dependability and a 10/120K warranty landed me with the Isuzu Trooper. If you go with GM buy as much extra warranty as they will sell you.
  • conman2000conman2000 Member Posts: 158
    I looked at them as well(my dealer is a chevy and Isuzu Dealer. I found it to still be small(more Rodeo in size) but much bigger than before(seems to be the same size as the explorer now). The styling is great but I could not compare it to the Trooper in size. So I compared it to the Tahoe and the Tahoe can tow more and more HP but less MPG. When I factored in the 0% fin, the Trooper LS was cheaper than both Trailblazer and Tahoe(plus the models they had on the lot did not have a sunroof and still cost more). So here I am Trooper LS.

IMHO, when the 7 seater(longer) Trailblazer comes out, that is the one to compare. BTW, rumor has it that the Trooper replacement might be a Tahoe in Isuzu clothes..... Good Luck with your search!

Cheers,
    Con
  • jahnoth1jahnoth1 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the input.

Exactly how sweet is the moonroof on the Trooper.
    The moonroof IIRC is 5 square feet. The trailblazer has a sunroof option IIRC but is standard size(which is fine but just smaller than the trooper) If you don't need the size of the trooper, the trailblazer does have more HP.....Too many choices now..... :)

How about the new Axiom as a choice? More HP than the Trooper, new looks, and cheaper than the Trooper MSRP(normal size sunroof though).

If you don't mine me asking, what are you look for in a SUV? Maybe we can help you out here(and maybe sway you to an Isuzu while were at it) ;)

Good Luck,
    Con
    01 Trooper
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    I'm curious...since the Trooper has no centre differential, what exactly happens in TOD mode when you make a full lock turn + apply the throttle pedal (on dry surfaces)? Does it revert to just to RWD mode so that there is no binding? Obviously locking it into 4WD high + turning full lock would not be a smart thing to do on a dry or even wet road.

Any thoughts?

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    It will revert to 0/100 at full lock, slow movement if there is no slippage. If it detects slippage, you'll get more power shifted to the front. The way the Isuzu TOD system works is not on or off, it varies the power anywhere from 0-50% I've had the pedal mashed in the sandpit where I go play with it, and full lock on the steering it was at 50/50 and varied the power down to 0/100 and back to 50/50 again. As if I were stuck going forward where it pulses the power front to rear.

-mike
    It's friggin HUGE. Largest stock moonroof of any SUV on the market. I think the closest one is the Monty, another great vehicle.

-mike
    The reason I asked was also because I know the system transfers power to the front under acceleration. I guess this is only when you're mostly going straight. Obviously there would be some binding w/o the centre differential if there was power transfered to the front.

The Montero's moonroof is pretty large too. Almost as large as the Trooper's I think. However, for the largest retractable roof for a production SUV, that honour goes to the MB M-class' optional Skyview roof.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    But the MB one is a metal roof. Which for those of us in the non-sunbelt is absolutely useless for 9 months a year. A moonroof, is useable year round no matter what the weather. So I still contend that the Trooper has the largest (with the Monty closely in tow) Moonroof of ANY Suv produced for sale in the US. Sorry to ditch on the MB :)

I'm sure that an open diff would be nice on the trooper, but for the $ the TOD rocks.

-mike
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    I have experienced "slipping" with TOD turning in sand with the system completely engaged (50% front and 50% rear). You don't experience binding though, TOD uses a clutch, so if there is binding, it smooth's it out. It is hard to tell when the system engages most of the time, but you can see the lights on the dash light up. The TOD sometimes engages in hard cornering (as hard as you can corner in a trooper), and improves traction. I don't know if it has a center differential or not, I assumed that the TOD unit acted like a transfer case/center differential?

You would/should only experience binding in 4wd Lo. This locks the front and rear at 50% and multiplies the gearing to be 2.48 to 1 in automatics. The front differential is open, so the left and right wheels can spin at uneven rates, i.e. cornering. TOD is a pretty good AWD system, and very good off-road 4wd Hi.
  • sdc2sdc2 Member Posts: 780
    In 4Lo the TOD transfer case is locked 50/50, and acts just like a standard part-time transfer case, with binding on tight turns etc.

In 4Hi I have never experienced any of the tight turn binding hop that I do in 4Lo. Whether that is because the TOD is at 0/100 at parking lot speeds, or because the clutch plates in the TOD allow slippage to occur, I don't know.
  • keepontroopinkeepontroopin Member Posts: 297
    Ask me about the Trooper and ask my sister about her Trailblazer. She can tell you all about her vehicle being in the shop all the time and I will tell you about all the fun, miles and fourwheeling I do in mine. End of story.
    Already? Haven't they only been on the streets for like 2 or 3 months? That's rough.

-mike
  • gtroopgtroop Member Posts: 85
    That is the same fate the dependable Troopers will face when they redesign them. I bet the 10/120 warranty goes out the window as well.
    I think the 10/120k will be retained, of course Isuzu techs will be raking in the OT. Also maybe if they are built at SIA they won't break as often...

-mike
  • gpm5gpm5 Member Posts: 785
    I've hopped on it several times on dry roads from an intersection doing a tight turn in TOD on my '99 trooper. The front wheels engage as soon as slippage is encountered, preventing any tail spin. It's pretty amazing.

The TOD unit looks similar to the center diff on the toyota trucks and essentially replaces it.

The open center diff gives dry road capability but transfer of torque to the front or back when slippage occurs uses the ABS system on the sequoia, land cruiser, and the 4-runner.
    There was an immediate recall on these for a suspension/steering problem as I recall, and production was stopped until they got it straightened out.
    That is when I use my TOD most, whenever I nail the gas out of a stopsign or making a hard turn onto a main street. The fronts just engage, no binding. I'm going to test out the heavy throttle, with full turn on pavement and see if it binds or if it doesn't put power forward.

-mike
    I think IIRC there is no center diff but "clutches" that act very similar to a center diff. Since the VX has TOD on all the time, I have not heard anyone on that board say anything about binding.

One of the reasons I picked the Trooper over anything else was that it was the cheapest "off-road" SUV that had AWD(TOD) and Low Range(beach driving).

Cheers,
    Con
    01 Trooper LS
  • keepontroopinkeepontroopin Member Posts: 297
    Oops I meant just the plain old Blazer, but we all know that the Trailblazer is really just a modified Blazer anyway. It still boils down to being a Chevy!
    Well, the Trailblazer is definitely a Chevy, but it isn't a modified Blazer, it is "all new". New engine, frame, and body. I think the tranny is the same. In fact, they plan to keep making Blazers for several years, along with Trailblazers.

My previous vehicle was a 97 Blazer. Had absolutely nothing go wrong with it for 55,000 miles when I traded it for my Trooper. I heard from the dealer (friend of mine) that the people who bought it had the tranny go out 5,000 miles later - over $2,000 repair. That shouldn't happen at 60K.
  • fiveharpersfiveharpers Member Posts: 53
    My tranny went out twice in my suburban within 64K miles.(I found posts where many others had same problem) Thats why I have a Trooper now.
    You know that the Trooper Tranny is a GM design, built in france. Same as the Caddy Catera and Z3 roadster. So far so good though.

-mike
    I've heard the reason those have gone bad was due to a computer glitch, not the tranny itself--somehow the computer was producing a bad effect in the tranny.
  • beer47beer47 Member Posts: 185
    The Avalanche yet. Pretty cool looking. I think all the mechanicals are standard Suburban/Tahoe stuff. The Trailblazer I think has a new straight six that reviewed real well. Either way, neither one would compell me to part with my Trooper. Saturday will be one year for me (35 k) I've only had it back for the two recalls and a loose fender flare. So far, I am very impressed w/ this vehicle.
    You did more miles than me this year. I did 25K in 1 year on the 2000 Trooper LS! Cool beans.

-mike
  • bama53bama53 Member Posts: 2
    Fortunately, my wife and I just got our Trooper back after having a NEW tranny put in. The thing is that we traded in our Explorer (what a nightmare that truck was!) for this 97 LS Trooper and were hoping that the tranny and other parts of the Trooper would indeed be "bulletproof". So far we LOVE the truck, but this transmission problem worried us a bit. It was all done for free under the extended warranty that we bought. Oh well...bad things can happen to nice trucks after all. Anyway, we look forward to many years of service from this truck. By the way, Jim Reed Isuzu in Nashville did a great job and were very easy to work with.
    Sorry to hear about your tranny problems, hopefully it was under warranty. If it is any consolation, the Trooper tranny seems to be pretty reliable in general, certainly no trend of problems that we have seen...
    is a great idea/concept executed poorly. I thought they would have fired the design team that came up with the Aztec, but instead they promoted them!!! I'm sure they will sell some but not as many as if the thing actually looked decent. The main problem is the look of the wheel wells - the flat look with the partial black, partial painted flares looks ridiculous.
  • JustinlJustinl Member Posts: 13
    It looks like most of the board here would buy a Trooper again.

I have had one before as well (93 I), and had "0" issues or problems.

My fear - That with Isuzu dumping the Trooper in '02-'03 (Big Mistake), the re-sale value of the Trooper will completely disappear.

My Attraction - Great Deals I/ Dealer Cash and great APR + lest we forget - a great and reliable truck.

Thoughts........
    It's not going to get any worse than it already is. It's pretty much in the crapper, and you shouldn't buy it anticipating a re-sale value on it. These cars are meant to be driven to the ground. The other thing is with the financing or rebate, that lower re-sale is paid for upfront by Isuzu. The Trooper name will go away, but there will still be a Full-size Isuzu truck. Broncos still command a decent re-sale and their name was dropped.

-mike
  • JustinlJustinl Member Posts: 13
    It looks like most of the board here would buy a Trooper again.

I have had one before as well (93 I), and had "0" issues or problems.

My fear - That with Isuzu dumping the Trooper in '02-'03 (Big Mistake), the re-sale value of the Trooper will completely disappear.

My Attraction - Great Deals I/ Dealer Cash and great APR + lest we forget - a great and reliable truck.

Thoughts........
  • guillguill Member Posts: 94
    Here's an interesting article about a guy and his Trooper in the UK.

It shows that Troopers are indeed capable off-road.

http://www.4x4mag.co.uk/aprfeatures/magreadrides.html
  • settleitsettleit Member Posts: 9
    Have a 95 Trooper -127,000 had small A/C promblems and changed the timing belt- - Then we bougth a 2000 Exp. good thing we still have Trooper - Ford Catastrophe engine failure and safety issue-anyone else with the same problem? "Firestone tires could blow-out but this could have blown up" Ford mechanic-2000 Expedition bought new-currently has approx. 17,200 miles - 6.5 months old. While driving home the other evening (Fri) steering wheel starts to shimmie and "Check Engine" light comes on then goes off. Got it home and has a rough idle and smoke coming from exhaust - did not put it in garage! Next morning called Ford dealer "drive it on in to the shop". While driving through town smoke is billowing out of exhaust- all gauges OK, bad gas smell when we would stop at stop lights. Finally get to dealer and they check it out---#5 fuel inject or stuck open and was pumping so much fuel that the catalytic convertor was soaked and gas was dripping out of the exhaust pipe - -Bent piston rod = "new engine" replacement in a new top of the line Ford. Mechanic stated that it could have blown up and that I was driving a bomb - I stated, what would have happened if someone in a passing vehicle dropped a lit cigerette at the stop light or Clean Air Act violations or EPA issues. Replacing the engine does not address what caused the injector to stick open/ What part failed? Wiring harness? Someone in this same discussion group had the same #5 injector "go bad" and engine replaced. Odds of that are ???? Anyone else with this problem? This system is on several Ford vehicles not just the Exp. and could cover several years.We are having to go to the Dispute Settlement Board for a new vehicle not a "rebuilt" one. Dealer offered us lowest possible price for a trade!! I stated 2000 Exp with "0" miles-new Ford engine. I contacted the National Highway Safety Admin. to file a complaint with their office. Any help from the town hall group would help -read the post in Finance ,warranty & insurance title Brand new Ford engine for $100 post #1-#5 injector failure-same cylinder as mine !! Injecters are not cylinder specific -just screw one in -I think the issue is the controlling wiring to the number 5 cylinder. This same (sub contractor made or Ford made?) wiring is installed in a zillion Ford/Mercury products and maybe in other makes i.e. GMC,Dodge?
  • cobbocobbo Member Posts: 34
    Alright, so I'm now 58 days into ownership of my 2001 Trooper LTD 4x4, and so far I'm enjoying it & not experiencing the withdrawal I thought I'd have from my Jeeps (been driving them for the past 10 years)....at first I missed the auto shut off feature on the headlamps & had to remember what side the fuel tank was on, but it wasn't until yesterday that I thought about my old jeep...why, you may ask?...because out of nowhere I had warning lights come on the dash. First the "REDUCED POWER" light came on, followed shortly thereafter by the "CHECK ENGINE" lamp...after a few moments of paranoia (that I'd be experiencing the breakdown typical of the later half of my last jeep's life), I figured I'd better check out the manual, and my, wasn't that helpful - here, let me paraphrase from the book...

If the REDUCED POWER light comes on, there is a problem in your engine. Take it in for service.

If the CHECK ENGINE light comes on also, there is a SERIOUS problem in your engine. Take it in for service.

Great, I thought, here I go again...although it was nicer to have the truck tell you it had a problem instead of just dying at a light, I still didn't like the perspective, especially since it was scheduled for it's first service on this coming Thursday (the svc mgr wanted me to bring it in for the first svc in August, but when I explained I already had 4,982 miles on it, he miraculously found some time this coming week)...anyway, I found another authorized dealer/svc ctr that could get me in on Monday & they eased my fears when they told me that the truck was still drive-able as long as the CHECK ENGINE light was on solid & not flashing.

Hold on, we're not done yet...do I drive it over to the shop today to drop it off for the 7:30am svc apptment I could get on Monday am (I'm gonna be out of town tomorrow & Monday am), and now the REDUCED POWER light isn't on, but the CHECK ENGINE light still is...great!, so I consult the ever-so-helpful manual, and this time, I get something like...

If the CHECK ENGINE light is on (without the REDUCED POWER light), something has seriously malfunctioned in your engine. Bring it in for service. and WARNING: Continued driving can result in permanent damage to your engine, exhaust & driveability of your vehicle...

So, I'm just happy gee willikers tonight...needless to say, I'm hoping that all of the light crap is just Isuzu's way of telling me that the truck needs/is scheduled for a service appt sometime b/w 3500/5000mi & that it won't be anything major, but I'm curious if anyone else has had any similar experience or any clue as to what the issue might be, cause aside from this,

I'm a happy Trooper owner doing my fair share for the economy by my thrice weekly fuel ups...*lol*

Hope ya'll are having a nice weekend...
    -Fred
  • cwmosercwmoser Member Posts: 227
    Never haar of the "Reduced Power Light" - whats that? I have a 1999 Trooper though.
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    I have never seen either light, but I have heard that the check engine light can come on for something as simple as the gas cap not being screwed on tightly enough. I hope it is something simple.
  • celcis1celcis1 Member Posts: 2
    I am the proud owner of a year 2K Trooper LS with all options. Does any one know if the US spec Troopers can have daytime running lamps activated simular to the Canadian models? Is there a program or a fuse that can be install????
    I do not know of a plug in module but they are easy to install as it just splices into some wires. I have seen the kit for under $40 bucks. Maybe stop by a audio shop as they should be able to do this for you.

Cheers,
    Con

P.S. I think JCWhittney sells a kit as well.
  • lovingpclovingpc Member Posts: 34
    ...is on the bottom right corner of the dash, and is green I think. Mine comes on for a second when starting, then goes off. Turn your key to the on position, and see what lights come on. My check engine was turning on and off periodically, but my manual advises that it is the emissions system, but nothing about serious damage, etc.

The dealer replaced some kind of accelerator sensor, and I haven't seen the orange light of death since.

Trooper sighting:

Recent TV commercial for a new Pepsid acid controller product uses the ploy "what will you do with your old antacids?". This guy spills hundreds of ant-acid tablets in his SUV, and has to go to a self-serve car wash to vacuum them out. The SUV is a Trooper. There are several shots of the interior, plus one shot through the moonroof of this guy vacuuming.

Andy
    Yea, I noticed that one too. Thanks for confirming that it was indeed a Trooper.
  • wildbucwildbuc Member Posts: 88
    I am a fanatic, unfortunately, about keeping others from banging into my trooper. I wonder if body side rails (don't know the correct name} if attached to the side of my trooper would have the effect of stopping door digs. If so, I would get them pronto! Anybody have any thoughts on this?

By the way, I've had NO problems with my trooper. It's a great truck, just like my old 86 trooper.
    Do you have a S or a limited model? The LS comes with door guards which IIRC you can order for your S or Limited but comes in black only. I think it just uses glue to stick on so it is easy. BTW, it protected my door as it is at the perfect height.

www.isuzu-suvs.com and look at Paisan's LS to see his(the LS has them painted)

Cheers,
    Con
    I've had my CE light coming and going intermittently on the Trooper recently, since the hot weather has come around. Also my buddies over at the subie board have also gotten a slew of CE lights. When the CE light is solid, it means it's an emissions sensor (usually an untightend gas cap) causing the problem. The reduced power light, means there is a fuel delivery problem, or electrical problem and should get to a dealer relatively soon. A blinking CE light is bad, and should be towed or driven ASAP to a dealer.

25K miles and my trooper is cranking away quite well.

-mike
    Ok folks...

Friday night I rented a u-haul car transport (dual axle, brakes, etc) to tow my subaru XT6 up to my house in the adirondacks...

Trailer weight: 5K+lbs (trailer 2K + 2900lbs car + gear in car)
    Trooper cargo: aprox 600-700lbs
    Equipment: OME rear springs, Rancho 9000 shocks, Hidden Hitch Trailer hitch
    Tounge weight: 600-800lbs
    Distance: 200 Miles, interstate, hilly
    Speed: cruise set on 72, speeds ranged from 65-77
    A/C: On
    TOD: On
    Gear Selector: "D"
    Power Mode: Off
    MPG: 11.5mpg

Overall handled great, no fishtailing, no braking problems, the weight distribution on the trailer sucked the engine of the car was very far forward, so the tounge weight was way heavier than it should have been. This caused the rear to go way down, but not sitting on the bump stops. Cranked the Rancho 9000s up to the 5+ position. Had the rear section loaded up with computer equipment, a big heavy tent for my truck (10x20) and gear for a week of vacation. I was quite impressed with the towing capacity, it was a little slow getting up to speed, but not too sluggish considering the weight. At 72mph, the RPMs were sitting at 2600-2700, which is slightly higher than normal. It downshifted more often at hills than w/o the trailer which was expected. It also ran just as cool as well. Overall very impressed, and would reccomend this as a great tow vehicle. I'd just make sure my trailer weight distribution was better setup if I towed on a regular basis.

-mike
  • tntmythtntmyth Member Posts: 70
    I have the 2001 Trooper S wit Moon Mist Mica and silver fenders. No way would I put the black door guards on the sides. It looks too cool the way it is. I know I will eventually get dings. Eveybody does except Saturn owners. But even the door guard is no guarantee against that. I am however willing, and always do park at the outskirts of the parking lots. If I have to park next to somebody, try to park next to new cars and cars that look like their owners care a little. It gives me some piece of mind. Best idea may be to take the truck to Dent Wizard every couple of years. They are great at taking out door dings. Anyways, there is not much you can do about those rocks that will eventually hit the hood on the freeway.

Problem is that, unfortunately, this will be my only and last Trooper since I won't be getting the last model year in 2002. I doubt it very much that I will buy the new "Chevy copy" Isuzu in 2003. So for me, this Trooper is a special vehicle and irreplaceable. I guess it is the end of an era. I will probably end up getting a Pathfinder or hopefully the new Toyota 4-Runner will be nice with a high horsepower engine. Looks like the 4-Runner will be the last of the frame based trucks built in Japan and sold in the U.S. of course money talks, but I wish that Isuzu had come out with a new model Trooper in 1998 with the improvements to overcome the Consumer Reports debacle. It was a war of name bashing that CR won.
    The Trooper is a great truck with a great heritage that got a bad rap. Isuzu should have been more strategic in overcoming that. I note that Ford continues to be number one with their Explorer in spite of the bad publicity. That's because they came out quickly with the new 2002 "reborn" model they are advertising heavily. I would like to think that a similar move by Isuzu might have saved Trooper's proud heritage. Too bad Isuzu had to fold.
    Thank GM folks, not Isuzu, Don't forget that Isuzu is nearly 50% GM owned. Every Trooper that doesn't get sold most likely becomes a Trailblazer or Explorer owner. (similar price range vehicle) so they don't lose a thing by dropping the Trooper lineup. Same reason we don't get the great accessories (see http://isuzu-suvs.com/bighorn/ ) that the rest of the world of Isuzus get.

As for door dings, I'm gonna get the boulder bars/side steps, which will likely protect the doors from all but other SUVs from dinging the doors.

-mike

• breakorbreakor Member Posts: 398
    I have the side steps and they seem to work well when defending against cars. Higher SUVs are another story.

The black rubber strips from the LS model cost about $15 each from St. Charles. I don't know how much the color matching ones cost. If you go this route just remember that the S model has a Trooper logo installed on the front doors where the rubber strip is to be mounted. On the LS model this logo is mounted ABOVE the strip. Therefore with your S model you will either need to - 1. remove this logo, 2. cut the strips short on the front doors to miss the logo, or 3. use the shorter strips from the back doors on the front doors (if you go this route switching the drivers rear to the passenger front and flipping the strip upside down results in almost a perfect fit with the "pointed end" aimed right at the Trooper logo).