Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Trooper

Comments

• paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I'm not sure of performance gains, but most claim about 3% in a certain range. Performance people swear by K&N. Performance Products has em and Overlander, both in the $40-$60 range.

-mike
    Ok, the price is $260 + Shipping ($10-$20 at most) Anyone interested let me know. I'm hoping someone buys it so i can upgrade to the Chrome one!!!

-mike
    I'd say that would be a tad too much for this trooper, although depending on the terrain it might not be too bad if you upgraded the sway bars and rear springs. Also depends on how often and how far you have to tow the trailer. I hate to see you go away from the Trooper!

-mike
  • mercaramercara Member Posts: 291
    New York Times had published a list of Potential best amongst used cars for 1996 models. They based this on JD Power and Associates survey for most dependable brands. In Compact SUV's The trooper was ranked 2nd, 4Runner 1stand Explorer 3rd.

For model year 2000 Isuzu as a company is ranked below average. I guess their build quality has decreased or more likely others have improved quality and Isuzu has fallen behind.

For those of you interestd int he other models here is the list from New York Times.

Compact Cars:
    1.Toyota Tercel
    2.Toyota Corolla
    3. Subaru Impreza Outback (My personal Favourite)

Entry Midsize:
    1.Honda Accord
    2.Buick LeSabre(tie)
    2.Toyota Camry(tie)
    3.Toyota Avalon

Sporty CArs:
    1. Mazda Miata
    2.Honda Del Sol
    3.Honda Prelude

Entry Luxury:
    1.Lexus ES 300
    2.Infitinity G20
    3.Infinity I30

Premium Luxury:
    1. Lexus LS 400
    2. Mercedez-Benz SL-Class
    3. Lexus SC coupe

Compact Pickups:
    1. Toyota Tacoma
    2. Nissan Pckups
    3. Ford Ranger

Full Size Pickups
    1. Toyota T100
    2. GMC Sierra
    3. Chevorlet C/K Series

Mini SUV
    1. toyota RAV4

Compact SUVs
    1. 4runer
    2. Trooper
    3. Explorer

Full size suv
    1. Toyota LC
    2. GMC Yukon

Luxury SUV
    1. LX 470

Compact Vans
    1. Odessey
    Previa
    Mazda MPV
  • sdc2sdc2 Member Posts: 780
    I think the declining rating for Isuzu as a company is because of the Rodeo, which is built in the US...sadly, when compared to the Trooper, the Rodeo has a significantly poorer reliability/build quality record. I'd like to think Americans can match or exceed manufacturing quality standards elsewhere, but we haven't proven it yet, at least when it comes to automobiles.
  • ilitilit Member Posts: 71
    Be careful with snake oil salespeople!
    Trooper's maximum towing capacity rated at 5000 lbs.
    This is based on the drive train capability,
    not the suspension system's.
    Remember that Trooper is not a super vehicle.
    Like any other vehicles, it fits only certain needs/ preferences.

Good luck!
    Or is it the chassis? Most times the restriction is the chassis NOT the drivetrain. Anyone have any facts one way or the other?

-mike
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    I asked a Acura Mechanic about the towing with the MDX. It supposedly needs extra cooling when towing anything above 2000 lbs. He told me that because the vehicle is built on the minivan frame, it caused the drivetrain to work harder than necessary because of the distribution of force? Since this vehicle has more HP than the Trooper and less towing capacity I think the argument the mechanic made is valid. So it is probably a combination of both, but don't count the chassis out.
    It's the tourque and the system cooling that matters and the chassis for towing. For instance, a Suburban with a 5.7l engine is faster and has more HP than the suburban with the 7.4l engine, but if you hookem up back to back, the 7.4 will pull he 5.7l up a 30 degree incline!

The MDX is mini-van based so yeah that makes sense, but the Trooper is a full frame, so I'd say it was the suspension that is holding down the trooper as far as towing. Any engineers here?

-mike
  • arktrooper1arktrooper1 Member Posts: 101
    I looked at the Rodeo, hung around the Rodeo boards on Edmunds...and decided "No thanks!" Not to offend paisan, who evidently had great luck with his Rodeo but it seems that many people who own them experience a lot of problems. Not so with the Trooper and Vehicross. Plus, I bought my Trooper for about the same as an LS Rodeo, comparably equipped.
  • cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    The local dealer finally got the info and parts for the 2nd fuel line recall yesterday. I'm getting the work done on Tuesday.
  • spirollispirolli Member Posts: 50
    mike,

where did you find the chrome version of the ECB nudge bar. i have been looking all over for one. can you provide any insite. i would need the chrome as well to match my sport chrome side bars.

thanks,
    steve
  • sahara111sahara111 Member Posts: 51
    Personally, I would be very careful exceeding the manufacturers posted limits. For one thing, if something bad happens your insurance company might say Sorry Charlie, you were towing more than allowed.

As some have noted, the limit is based on a combination of several factors: vehicle weight, chassis, suspension, engine, tires, wheelbase, track, transmission, braking, and cooling systems. Finally, the vehicle is typically tested with various trailer loads in various conditions (wet, curves, braking, cross-winds).

Some of these factors you can do something about (maybe add extra transmission cooling, upgrade shocks & springs), others you can't (wheelbase, chassis).

If I WAS planning to exceed the limits, I might look into the following: check the limits for the overseas Trooper models with the SAME engine - in Australia, in Europe - what are they rated at? Are they using the same transmission? Next, check the GM website (posted earlier by someone...) that lists the specs for the Trooper transmission - it is used in other vehicles - and see what those other vehicles are towing; be sure they are using the EXACT same version of this transmission. Next, plan on upgrading to a Light Truck tire (not the "P" rated stock type...) that is designed for heavier loads and more abuse; also plan on replacing all 4 stock shocks (you don't still have them DO you...) and the rear springs to more robust pieces. You should also strongly consider using a full synthetic oil in the engine and at least a semi-sythetic in the transmission. Does the U.S. Trooper have a transmission cooler? If not, you should look around for one. I would also go to some of the RV websites and do a little reading there - people who routinely tow trailers with all kinds of vehicles will be able to give you no-nonsense, experienced advice that will probably save you $$ and headaches down the road (no pun...).
    Yeah my rodeo was a 97, which was the last generation, I've heard no so good things about the current gen, although the 2000-01 models are much better than 98-99. The TOD alone makes the Trooper a much better value. I wouldn't go back to a rodeo after having a Trooper :)

-mike
    I too wouldn't exceed the manf specs without checking out all the upgrades available. The guy in quesion above wouldn't be exceeding the limits, just be very close to em, which if he upgraded the Tranny cooler, springs, and shocks and tires, should be sufficient to cover his needs. Insurance has to cover you unless you are committing a felony, IIRC.

-mike
    I am actually importing the ECB bars from Australia. The Chrome one is selling for $305+shipping(from NY) currently. Let me know if you are interested. I'm not sure how much ECB is selling em directly for though.

-mike
    We'll find out if it's the engineering of the Trooper that makes it better than the Rodeo or the factory. The Axiom is going to have a Trooper chassis/driveline w/Rodeo rear suspension and being built in Indiana @ the SIA plant.

-mike
    Mike,

Do you think we would get a better deal if we ordered in quantity ? As I stated earlier, I would need the crome as well. I assume you are looking at the ECB 76mm Chrome Nudge Bar.

Once it comes in, where the heck would you have something that installed. Dealer ? Body Shop ?

BYW, I have a 2000 Trooper Limted.

~Steve
    Steve, I get a decent discount cause I've been ordering these bars (2 or 3 so far). The install isn't too bad, took me who is totally mechanically un-inclined about 1.5 hours to do the install. Very straight forward. Let me know if you are interested in the chrome and I'll get an exact price for yah.

-mike
    yes Mike, I am interested in the chrome. Can you get a price and tell me how, where to order ? Which one are you getting for your Troop.?

Thanks for your help.

Steve
    I have the Black 76mm Nudge Bar currently, my buddy just bought a 2000 LS, so he is getting a chrome one, if I can sell my black one I'm going to get a chrome one for myself, if not then I'm gonna stick to the black one.

-mike

PS: Steve, e-mail me mike@iace.com with the destination so I can get an exact shipping price. Thanks.
  • troopernewbietroopernewbie Member Posts: 60
    Read all the fine print before you decide you're towing near the limit with a vehicle...

Years ago we had a Mazda Navajo (Explorer Sport). On a cross country trip I quickly calculated that our trailer and two motorcycles should be just under the truck's towing limit. What I missed was the paragraph that reduced that limit by a certain percentage for every thousand feet of elevation climbed. The transmission started slipping a few hundred miles from home and then went completely the next day. Thankfully it didn't let go while we were in Colorado!
    The fine print on a FORD should be 1/2 the recommended towing their tranny's suck! (I know about 5 people of 7 who had fords with bad trannys, me being one of em) Did I mention I dislike fords?

-mike
  • calvin14calvin14 Member Posts: 1
    My odometer just passed 20,000 miles, average gas mileage is 16.5 on combine 50/50 highway city drive. I have Edelbrock shocks since new and have harder Urathane sway bar bushings. The vehicle is quite comfortable for daily 60 mile commute. There are 2 problems:
    1. On take-off after a complete stop, there is sometimes a thump/clunk from the front end intermittently, sounds like something is in a bind and break out of it on take-off. I have taken it to the dealer 3 times and they claimed this can not be duplicated.
    2. I noticed the feathering of tires ( even they have been rotated at 7500 interval), so tires are making whistling noise on speed below 30 mph.

I wonder if anyone else has similar experience.
  • lovingpclovingpc Member Posts: 34
    I know most readers here are 4WD owners, but as a 2WD 2000 Trooper owner, I wanted to see if anyone had experience driving a RWD SUV on icy roads. I imagine the "winter" setting will help, and I am looking to add some bags of sand over the rear axle. We have a chance for sleet and ice tonight, which is what made me think up this one.

Our other car is a 98 maxima, front wheel drive. I think it may be the better car for bad road conditions.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
  • sdc2sdc2 Member Posts: 780
    Only helps when starting from a full stop, won't help while you are moving. Your Maxima will have better traction, though if it is REALLY icy it won't matter what you are driving...
  • gpm5gpm5 Member Posts: 785
    It may be that the 2WD does alright on ice/snow as long as you are moving. For glazed ice, I would be driving very slow, if driving, and wouldn't use a vehicle with rear wheel drive. In terms of 4WD TOD, I tried out my trooper in a snow/ice parking lot the other night, and I was able to get the back end to break loose with acceleration and turning. This is likely due to mostly rear wheel drive before the front wheels react to the slide. In front wheel drive you can accelerate out of the slide, but not with the 4WD TOD. The situation would probably be much different in 4WD LO but one would need to keep their speed low.
    It snowed a little then turned to ice here in NW Ark today. I drove on roads that were intermittently clear, then icy and overall felt very confident. Maybe a bit too confident, so I tempered this by being very careful and driving more slowly than I felt I needed to. 4WD is certainly not a liscense for invincibility. I think this is why many a******s run off the road in their 4WD trucks and SUVs and I don't want to add my name to that list!...LOL! Anyway, it did feel and drive much better at reasonable speeds than any rear wheel drive car I've ever owned or any front wheel drive car my wife has owned. The reason I don't post speeds is they varied a lot.
    When I had a chance to test out the TOD for about a 1/2 hour in 6 inches of snow covered packed sand, I found the following:

1) If fishtailing, you are better off gassing it slightly to get the front wheels to catch and pull you through a turn

2) I could get the truck to kick the back out, but only at full turn where the inner front wheel was basically standing still and the rest of the car was rotating around it.

Overall it was a good experience.

-mike
    I have been able to spin the truck fairly easily in TOD and 4 low. Granted I was in a parking lot doing donuts. The 4wd drive definitely help keeps the truck straight when it is slick out. In 2wd the truck does fine too. It spins when you start, but the LSD keeps you going.
  • sahara111sahara111 Member Posts: 51
    Paisan made a great point about the rear end fishtailing while on ANY slippery surface. I've been driving our '92 LC on many broken dirt and gravel roads for a long time. By applying a little bit of power through the turn, one can actually travel through it faster and with more control vs. "coasting" through it. This is also true on snowy roads, although you need to apply more restraint. Note that this especially applies to vehicles that have fulltime 4wd capability - because it has some kind of center diff that allows torque (power) to move back and forth to the axle where it is needed and away from the one slipping the most. The Trooper TOD is one such system.

Rear-wheel drive is almost always the worst vs. front-drive or 4wd on snow and ice. However, if you have a conventional 4wd system only, you can quickly get the vehicle spun out also as the two axles are locked together and power can't shift to where it will do the most good. Generally, this explains why every winter I see a predominance of Explorers off the road - either because most of them are rear 2wd only, or, they only have conventional 4wd (6 cylinder models in recent past) and the driver is not exercising due caution.
    about experiences with TOD on parking lots. I should try that today to give me a better idea of what to expect in the "real world". Yesterday I did find that accelerating a bit when I felt the road get slippery did help pull me straight but I don't think to the degree it will with FWD only. 4WD definately feels better overall though. I'm sure sahara is correct that cars with full time 4WD like the Trooper, JGC, Land Cruiser, Expedition, etc. are less likely to wind up in a ditch than a typical pickup/SUV system such as a Toyota truck or something like an Explorer or Durango with part-time 4WD
    You may want to air down your tires slightly to give you more of a contact patch during snowy weather. I wouldn't go down as far as I would on say sand or off roading, but slightly lower might help, anyone else have any ideas on that idea? I'm not sure if it is a good one or not.

-mike
    Ok folks. Here are the details...

ECB 76mm Chrome Nudge Bars $300 each on a group buy (possibly less if we get enough people) I'm gonna set the cutoff for it as Jan 31st (so we have time to recover from the holidays) E-mail me if you guys are interested. I can process V/MC/Disc/Amex as well.

http://www.ecb.com.au/
    http://www.iace.com/ia/trooper

-mike
  • gpm5gpm5 Member Posts: 785
    The parking lot I was in was small that evening, one of the few that was left unplowed at the time, and I didn't really have enough room to accelerate out of the fish tail, since I was heading toward a curb. Braking and the antilock feature did work well however in regaining a straight ahead motion.
  • lovingpclovingpc Member Posts: 34
    for the advise. The weather missed us last night, but more is on the way. Once we have frozen precip, I'll try to find a clear flat lot where I can play around some. One common thread I've seen is that ice is the great neutralizer. It seems that even 4WD won't help in the worst ice conditions. Unfortunately in Middle Tennessee, we are in a belt where we tend to get more sleet and freezing rain than snow.

If we get some, I'll let you know how the 2WD troop behaves.

Andy
    After being on the highway for 45 minutes, I engage TOD. It sometimes clunks as it engages? You can feel the front end slam, well not quite slam, but it isn't silent like under normal conditions. Has anyone experienced a harsh engagement into TOD? When it is in the first 1/2 hour of operation I have no noise? After everything is warmed up and I have been going for a while it starts doing this? I believe the truck uses some kind of air locker system? Why would this stop working after a highway trip. I am trying to gather as much information before I bring it into the dealer because it is difficult to re-create...
  • tarmantarman Member Posts: 12
    I noticed a jerk when I engaged TOD on a recent trip to my in-law's. I had been driving for nearly 4 hours in RWD when I hit the TOD switch going about 40mph (I was headed into some curvy mountain driving in a light rain). The Trooper jerked noticeably when the 4WD system engaged. I had never noticed this before and haven't tried to recreate it since...

I have also noticed a clunking sound in the power steering system when I crank the wheel to one side (say, when parallel parking). Any thoughts on what's going on here? I'm almost due for my 15,000 mile service so it would be good to know the list of things I need the mechanic to check.

BTW, I have a '99 Trooper w/ the performance package (LS).
  • pat_pendingpat_pending Member Posts: 36
    As the above posters have written, it is noticeable when everything is good and warm, say after driving for a good half hour, and at speeds of 30-50 MPH. At times, it has felt like someone hit the transfer case with a sledgehammer.

I hit the 4WD button, and after a second or two, right when the 4WD indicator lights up, WHAM!

I have read that there is a problem with a vacuum actuator in some Troopers, can anyone confirm this? I want to be able to duplicate the problem for the dealer, rather than forcing them to drive my Trooper around for hours to find the problem.

-Ken
    Well don't forget that the T-case or the front gearing isn't heated up, so you may notice a clunk when you engage it at highway speeds if it isn't all at the same temp.

-mike
    Mine had that too. My dealer adjusted the turn stops and i haven't had the noise since. Had the same problem on my '97 rodeo but since it was a lease I wasn't worried about it.

-mike
    I noticed this too. My dealer said it is just the suspension releasing tension and nothing to worry about? I am not worrying. The TOD noise may also be a problem with the clutch mechanism that keeps the wheels and front axle spinning at the same speed? Either way it has not impaired my 4wd drive performance. I am trying to avoid having my dealer having to drive the truck around for 2 hours to re-create it too.

BTW - I was checking edmunds to see if they listed the transmission change from 1999-2000, well they sort of did, but I found something else. Their TMV "true market value" was $31,000 for the truck, wow are they way off.
  • sparko101sparko101 Member Posts: 7
    Situation: You are stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic, a few inches of snow on the road and it continues to snow/sleet. Lots of wheels spinning, especially up inclines in the road (have we all been there?). When free of traffic, speed may increase to 30-40 mph, then more bumper-to bumper.

Looking for opinions on whether TOD is the best bet in these conditions or 4WD Lo should be considered. Preparing for winter here in Maryland! Thanks.

Mark
    That is the ideal situation for winter mode. It will give you no wheel slipping cause under 20mph it will keep you in 3rd gear, and over 30mph you will have TOD @ at least 15% FWD. In those situations I try to keep plenty of room between me and the guy in front of me to compensate for the usual jerks. Also keep a nice tow rope or chain with you in case you are run off the road by some idiot and need a tow out (which you probably won't) or can help people who are stuck, I've actually picked up some nice tips (totally unsolicited) from doing good deeds like that.

-mike
    since it would allow the 4WD system to vary distribution of power between the front and rear wheels. Winter mode, which I'll be using for the first time today, should help out at low speeds. It snowed here last night about 6 inches and now (4:00 am) it's sleeting. I'm going to brave it and go in to work for awhile (it's only 6 miles). It will be a really good test for the Trooper, 'cause although the snow isn't really deep we don't have the road crews that some of you do where you live!
    the people who have NO clue how to drive on this stuff and believe me there are a lot of them! Keep your fingers crossed for me that I don't become a moving target! LOL!
  • cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    I had the 2nd fuel line recall work done yesterday and it took almost three hours. I was the first that the dealership did, so future ones may be quicker. I pass this on for those of you that want to wait on your Trooper like I did.

I also had Hella 530 foglights installed by another shop. They were installed in the slot where the factory lights would go. They don't fit quite as snug as the factory ones (they stick out just a bit) if you use the factory bracket but look great nevertheless. They work great!! Really improve visibility and I would recommend them to anyone who might drive in low visibility conditions.
    Carlos,
    Thanks for the update, I'm sure the guys with the "S" models will be glad to hear the OEM fog light positions are useful! I haven't scheduled my 2nd recall appointment, but I guess I probably should. I'm gonna have em check out my slight whining on the T-case and put Synthetic for the oil change and I have to order a K&N Filter since I haven't even checked my air filter in 13K miles.

-mike
    Thanks for the info on the Hella 530's! I just ordered the center guard from WAAG yesterday as well as a pair of Hella 550 driving lights from Susquehanna to mount on the guard. Still, I want to add some fog lights after the first of the year and wondered what would be a good fit.
    Has anyone else tried the Design Tech 55w halogen back-up lights from J.C. Whitney yet? The stock lights in the Trooper are 27w tungsten and to me the difference is a substantial one. Two bulbs are about $15+shipping so it's an inexpensive improvement. I know that Hella and several others make high power back-up lights but when I install a frame hitch there really won't be any room and I don't want to cut into the rear bumper.
    I have used TOD in snow and for off-roading. I have been in only a few situations where I needed 4 low (no such with snow). If you get hit with a snow storm take the truck out and check it out. The combination of tires, ABS, weight and TOD really make the truck awesome in the snow. But someone made the very valid point, while you are out troopin' around, there could some joker out who is out of control and takes you out. Even with 4wd it is probably better to stay off main roads or at home.