Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Trooper

Comments

• cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    I like to use the low range in snow when I am going down steep downhills so the engine can act as a brake and keep me at a reasonable speed for conditions without having to use the brakes. This works real well on my 200 ft gravel driveway and the steep secondary road (always plowed after all the main roads are done) leading to the main road.
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    We've owned both: previously a '96 S, currently a '98 S with Performance Package (equivalent to the current LS trim level). If you opted for a pre-98 Trooper, I don't necessarily think you would need/want more power.

We loved our 96 but it was totaled so we upgraded to a 98. The 96 always seemed to have adequate power. That year all Troopers offered 190hp. From 92-95, some Troopers had 190hp and some had only 175hp. The 98 does have noticeably more power than the 96 but we don't really need the extra power for our purposes. We do not tow with the truck, nor do we off-road with it.

The 98+ models do offer the chance to get a full-time, on-road 4WD system. That is probably the major difference.

Note that in 98, Torque on Demand was part of the Performance Package. This means that a base Trooper S with automatic does NOT have TOD; it has the shift-on-the-fly system that was on earlier Troopers and that is on 98+ manual transmission Troopers. In later model years, TOD was standard with the automatic transmission.

One other thing: our 96 Trooper was EPA-rated 1 mpg lower than our 98. However, the 96 got about 1 mpg better overall than our 98 does.
  • radman6radman6 Member Posts: 81
    When going off road I primarily use 4 Hi TOD. It works especially well when climbing loose steep slopes. I also really like TOD for maximum traction on snow and ice. There are a few specific situations where 4 Lo works better. These are:

Difficult rocky creek crossings, large steep water bars, and going over large rocks where you need to go really slow with a lot of control. If the need for low end power and precise vehicle contol is greater than the need for traction - I use 4 Lo.

I also use Lo range when going down steep slopes to take advantage of compression braking. The idea is to keep the vehicle from running away - and avoiding excessive use of your brakes. Maintaining a steady (slow) downhill speed without a lot a braking also prevents nose dive and keeps you from hanging your bumper on water bars, rocks, logs etc., on the way down.

Be very careful backing down steep slopes. One shortcoming of my Trooper (2000 S Auto w/ TOD)is even in 4Lo the vehicle tries to run away from you when you back off of a steep slope. Reverse 4Lo gearing is way too high for this situation. Pretty scarey to back off from a failed hill climb attempt. It takes pretty precise braking to maintain a reasonable descent speed and vehicle control. Too much braking and your wheels can lock up. Locked brakes mean you are skidding backwards down the hill out of control. Not enough braking and your vehicle careens backwards down the slope out of control. The trick is to get as much braking power as you can without locking up the wheels - getting on and off the brakes as necessary to maintain a controlled descent. Never let speed / momentum build up to the point where you lose control - and believe me it can happen fast with a 4000 lb vehicle on a steep slope.

4Lo is also a good choice for pulling out another heavy vehicle that's really stuck - especially if your vehicle is on solid ground. In this situation 4 Lo provides lots of low end power and great vehicle control. That said, I'm sure a lot of you have pulled out other vehicles with hi range / TOD.
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    The current fourwheeler magazine has an article about 4 wheeling in the Himalaya's. All Isuzu's, There is at least 1 Trooper and a couple of Japan specific trucks. Not much is said about the Trooper, but it is impressive that it was one of the vehicles chosen for this trek, as well as only getting a few modifications, for the most part stock suspension. Check it out.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I don't think there are any Isuzu Japan specific trucks I know of. The Wizard is the Rodeo/Amigo.

-mike
  • keepontroopinkeepontroopin Member Posts: 297
    Do you have a link to this article on the web?
    nope
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Radman,

Never let speed / momentum build up to the point where you lose control - and believe me it can happen fast with a 4000 lb vehicle on a steep slope

Excellent advice! I've been on some pretty steep terrain out here in the Rockies and, fortunatetly, never lost control. To say it would be a disaster would be a gross understatement.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • jeremyseattlejeremyseattle Member Posts: 4
    Hey guys, thanks for the info in reply to my post. I can't wait to buy a Trooper! Still waiting to sell my Subie, though. I'm getting so impatient, I already dropped the asking price by $1000!
    I'd say we've sold on here at least 10 Troopers this year (and that is just the ones who post) I'm sure there are countless others who read our posts on here! I heard once give someone a trooper for a week, and they'll buy one. I think it's totally true.
    Welcome to the crew!

-mike
    I am not a member of fourwheeler.com, so I don't know if it is online. I picked up the magazine at an airport the other day, it is the December issue.

The "Japan Specific" trucks are made by another company that Isuzu owns, I can't remember the name off hand. I will check the article.
    Thanks. That would be cool info.

We are planning another Pine Barrens run in Dec. also.

-mike
  • carscarscarscarscarscars Member Posts: 7
    Paisan et al...

How easy is it to install shocks for the average do-it-yourselfer? I don't recall seeing any instructions on your site. Has anyone out there braved the task or know how to? Bilsteins are coming out with their new Touring shocks in November/December sometime specifically designed for Troopers 92-02.

Thanks...

Ted
    I hear it's not that hard, but I paid about $125 to have all 4 shocks and rear springs installed. The big problem is the front shocks usually need to be cut off.

-mike
  • breakorbreakor Member Posts: 398
    Basically you are simply removing a nut on the top of the shock, one on the bottom, sliding off the old shock, sliding on the new shock and tightening the nuts. The problem is that reaching the nuts is not real easy especially in the rear. Also, IIRC the top mounts on the rears have a removable bolt such that you have to have two wrenches (one to turn the nut off and one to keep the bolt from turning). Again this is not rocket science but I imagine it would be impossible if you don't have a reasonably good selection of wrenches and sockets to reach AND TURN/HOLD the nuts. Also, sometimes it can require a fair amount of strength to do this as well as slide the old shocks off and the new ones on.

Bottom line, in theory it is a very simple job. However in practice it can be annoying if not a downright frustrating knuckle buster.
    The problem with the fronts IIRC is that they badly corrode and you strip them causing them to rotate around and you can't get the nuts off.

-mike
    Ippon. They may just be the Hombre I am not sure. But they are Isuzu Ippon, I think they are king/extended cabs.

December would be cool. Even better would be after a foot of snow. The pine barrens don't always get a lot, being next to the shore, but a lot of snow would be fun.
  • sdc2sdc2 Member Posts: 780
    Hey, I did it myself. If I can do it, you can too.

I do remember I had to borrow another socket from a friend to remove/tighten the front shock lower mount (didn't have two sockets the same size).
  • vivayovivayo Member Posts: 32
    I'm looking at installing an active suspension system (www.activesuspension.com) on my '01 LS to improve handling when towing a large trailer. Problem is, the application guide doesn't list any Trooper newer than 96. Does anyone know, or know where I can find out, if the '01 rear suspension is the same as the 96?
    Thanks,
    Charlie
    Never mind the question. I found the answer. The above product is for leaf springs. The Trooper has 4 link coils ;-(
    Charlie
    The "Rodeo" in australia is basically a 4door 1st gen/2nd gen rodeo from the US with a bed instead of an SUV on the back end. Awsome trucks!

-mike
    Its the same on the '01 as the '96.

-mike
  • schulhofschulhof Member Posts: 71
    I recently replaced my OEM shocks with Edelbrocks at 94k miles.

I thought about doing it myself but Manny Moe and Jack offered to do it for $12 each. So
    $48 later my knuckles were good as new and my shocks installed.

I did hang around and watch and it looked like a [non-permissible content removed]. But I am not real confident that the
    kid mechanic doing it had much experience in shock replacement....

Don't really like letting guys like that touch my car but the price was right and so far
    everything looks good.

As I said before the Edelbrocks are good so far, but were $$ at $69 each.
  • bsmart1bsmart1 Member Posts: 377
    Lots of talk about suspension lately. I've got a question for 96' and 97' model Trooper owners. When you put your vehicle in Power Drive, does it stay in after you turn the vehicle off? Does it revert back to Normal Drive? My 01' model stays in Power Drive, my 88' model stays in Power Drive, but my 97' does not if the power is off. What say ye?? Happy Trooping!!
  • azul427azul427 Member Posts: 2
    Hi guys, I'm in the market for an utility vehicle. I'm trying to decide between the 4-Runner and the TrooperLS. I'm for the Trooper except for, I'm worried about the longevity of the TOD system and the effectiveness compared to the part-time systems (4HI-4LO.) Are the Electro-Magnetic-Clutches and the rest of the TOD system covered under the power train or Bumper to Bumper warranty. Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Robert
    My '97 Rodeo had a power switch and it would revert every time I turned off the ignition. My '00 Trooper stays in power after turning off the ignition.

-mike
    I wouldn't worry about the longevity of it. It *is* however covered under the powertrain warranty IIRC. Borg and Warner made it and they are well known for tough durable products. As for effectiveness, it's going to be 1000s of times more useful. 1) cause you probably don't off road on a daily basis, or even weekely, so the TOD will help with on-road stability 2) There is still 4wd Lo that is the traditional 50/50 split with low range gears. IMHO it's the best of both worlds. 4wd Lo for extra torque, TOD which will get you through mud, snow, and a multitude of other on and off-road situations with ease. I find the TOD to be better than 4wd Lo in most off-road situations.

-mike
  • azul427azul427 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Paisan for the quick response. If I do go with the Trooper (which seems more likely now with the peace of mine of the 10/120 warranty) I would be putting the Calmini 3" lift and would change to 15" rims with possible 32"-33" tires. How would that affect the TOD and would it cause any problems with my warranty on the TOD? I already know that a suspension lift will void my suspension warranty.
    Thanks again,
    Robert
    Well, they are very subjective. It's not a cut and dry type thing. Depending on your dealer changing tires, rims and a lift *can* void different parts of the warranty. Basically if a dealer can prove that your change contributed to the failure, then they can refuse to cover the warranty for that item. You might not even need a lift to put 32" tires on a trooper. Also I'd go with the OME rear springs for a 2" lift rather than Calmini (I'm not a big fan of anything Calmini, mostly due to their customer service)

-mike
  • boxtrooperboxtrooper Member Posts: 843
    Why would 15 inch rims be better than 16 inch rims? It seems to me that smaller rims would allow more slop in the suspension due to the tires sidewalls being taller. More slop = less control. How is less control good for a Trooper? Or what would 15 inch tires give the Trooper that would be worth puting up with the extra slop in suspension?
    Thank You
    Boxtrooper, when off roading you want to have more side-wall, that allows you to air down and have a bigger grip patch. He already said he'd be lifting it 3" so this means he's planning on taking it off-road often. Most off-roaders I know use 15" steel wheels and big 33 or 34" tires.

-mike
    not to get into one of those truck debates, but each vehicle has its merits. If you are deciding between the 2 it really depends what your applications are? The 4-runner is great off-road, and a lot like a pickup, very good, low HP but a lot of torque, and doesn't have the rollover stigma, but has a tiny back seat (being built on a pickup truck frame). I think the 4-runner appeals to more of the younger demographic, and I dare say more "sporty". The Trooper on the other hand is great off-road too, has more HP and Torque, and I believe more competent tow vehicle. The Trooper is also a more useful people mover, the back seat is huge, and very comfortable.

So it is really what you are looking for, I don't either is a bad vehicle. I can't say Toyota dealers are better, because all vehicles have bad dealers, but there are definitely MORE Toyota dealers out there.
    there is probably more aftermarket stuff for the yoda v. trooper. But stock to stock, the Trooper is probably slightly more competant off-road and it's much more comfy. I found the 4-runner to have a very small cabin and the windshield was too close to my face.

-mike
    Hey guys I hear ECB has extended the order date to Nov 10 for the nudge bars. check em out at http://www.ecb-usa.com I have the regular nudge but wish I had gotten the series 2 one.

-mike

• catmanducatmandu Member Posts: 53
    I wrote an earlier post regarding the Helm manual for the Trooper. I received two defective manuals from Helm(problem with the printing). Isuzu folks just called me and here is report; There is a problem and they are checking with the printer for an answer. Dont know when it will be resolved. When they find out what went wrong, they will send a new replacement . My best advice is to wait a while longer before ordering one. Will jump back here as soon as I find out anything new. Have Fun!
    catmandu,

Will jump back here as soon as I find out anything new. Have Fun!

Thanks! We'll look for you.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • bsmart1bsmart1 Member Posts: 377
    lots of folks see this page and are familiar with Trooper accessories. Anyone got a factory CD player that will work with a 2001 Trooper radio/head unit, to sell at a reasonable price?

Other news. My engine tapping continues to quiet down with time and use. That Mobil 1 0W-30 seems to slowly be doing the trick. I thought there would be quicker results than this, several hundred miles now. The varnish levels must have been really bad. Anyone else out there tried this method to cure the problem? Any feedback? I still have the option of taking it back to the dealer service dept. before 60000 miles and see if they honor the warranty or not. I'm starting to waffle on that idea a bit. I'm not sure I want them to open the engine up, if they won't guarantee they can cure any remaining tapping noise. Happy Trooping !!!
  • basketballkidbasketballkid Member Posts: 25
    I just traded a couple of emails with Brian at www.littleseats.com. He said they finished their design work on a folding third row for the Trooper and should produce the first one in a couple of weeks. The seat fold flat and then the whole thing flips forward (forward facing). It has shoulder harnesses, but unfortunately no head restraints. They have other models with head restraints, but they don't fold forward. Price - $795 (includes lap belt for a 3rd person). They claim that an person up to 5 ft 9inches can sit back there.

Just thought I'd let you guys know.

Phil
    I wonder why no head rests. They could easily build in removable ones. That's cool to know though, especially cause it's folding.

-mike
    I made the same comparison before I bought a 2000S Trooper. I owned a 4 Runner at the time and initially thought I'd just get a new one. That was until I drove both the Trooper and the 4 Runner on the same day and began to compare them feature by feature. It wasn't even close for me. For the same money I would rather have the Trooper - and the Trooper I bought was more than $7000.00 less than a comparably equipped 4 Runner ($24K vs 31K).

The Trooper has much more usable interior room, a better ride, more power / torque, more towing capability, an awesome TOD system, great standard equipment on the base model, etc., etc. There are some killer deals out there right now on year end closeouts. I'm tempted to buy another one!
  • tkevinblanctkevinblanc Member Posts: 356
    I've lurked here for a while, and took the plunge yesterday. I purchased a 1998 Trooper with 25K in perfect condition (no dings, no scrapes, looks new in and out) with everything but leather, for $16,700. Did I do okay? You can be honest with me.

It was love at first drive. The dealer is acting like I stole it from him, but they always do. I think I did okay, but I'd like some other feedback.
    Sounds OK. But I would rather have haggled for a new one...Did you finance? New you could have gotten one for 21K and financed at 0%.

I think you will be happy with your truck however. So good job and welcome to the owners group.
    He couldn't hav gotten a loaded w/o leather 00 Trooper for $21K. At best he could get an LS (which is a loaded w/o leather trooper) for about $25.5K w/o the financing. For $21K he could have gotten the S model, but w/o the financing. Don't forget it's 0% OR $4K off.

The real question is does it have TOD or not, in '98 it was optional. Also he gets the Dana rear end instead of the Isuzu 12 bolt.

-mike
    tkevin,

I don't know if you did okay on the deal but upgrading your status from lurker to active participant was a fine move!

Welcome aboard!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • pb97006pb97006 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking at replacing the stock tires on my 2000 trooper with 275x70x16s. Will this screw up the ABS sensors?
  • jglasmannjglasmann Member Posts: 13
    Isuzu announced next year they will begin making the Ascender sport-utility, based on General Motors vehicles, to replace its Trooper.

North American production of the Ascender will start in September, with sales beginning shortly after. The Ascender will be a 2003 model, no details for how much the new vehicle will cost or what the annual sales target will be.

To view the details see:

http://www.auto.com/industry/iwird3_20011103.htm

They only made one trim level in 98. The one I purchased has a limited slip differential, TOD, and luxury/performance package (which I think is mostly just the sunroof - which is extremely cool, although I would never have spent the money new).

As for 2001 models, around here there aren't any S trim levels to be found.
    I believe you have the performance package.

Basically in'98 the Performance package was equal to what is now the LS w/moonroof. the Luxury package = Limited.

I think you got a great deal IMHO, be happy, it's one of the last true isuzus.

-mike
    I think you are right.
    Although I drive a great GM pickup that's given me 131,000 trouble free miles - I'm a little skeptical about the Ascender. It's going to be tough to beat the current Trooper. I hate to see poor marketing and the lingering Consumer Reports rollover stigma bring an end to these great vehicles. One would hope that Isuzu's engineering would pull up the quality level of GM's new SUV - rather than GM rolling out yet another mediocre SUV.

On the positive side, there should be some awesome deals to be made on the last Troopers available. We'll all be driving classics or orphans, depending on how you look at it.
    Well it will be the same quality as the Envoy. It'll be rolling out of the same plant, with the same cheesy GM knobs, and same poor fit-finish-quality :( At best you'll get some funky body moudling on it, or a little different nose cone here or there. :( When shall we have the funeral services for the last Japanese Isuzu SUVs?

-mike