Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Trooper

Comments

• paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Well yes you can put lockers, and more power and bumpers etc. But at the end of the day the vehicle will still fall apart at 60-80K miles. Door handles, stereo buttons, seats, fit-finish items, rattles. It's coming out of a GM plant so you know it's not going to be long-term reliable.

-mike
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    Are you really using 5W20 oil in your Trooper? I didn't think Mobil 1 was offered in that weight. If it is, aren't you concerned about such a thin oil possibly not providing the long-term wear protection that a slightly thicker oil (5W30, 10W30) would?

The consensus on these oils is:
    1) You should use it only if the manufacturer specifically calls for it (Isuzu doesn't; Ford and Honda are the only major brands in the U.S. that I'm aware of so far) AND your vehicle is still under warranty.

2) They provide slightly better fuel economy but they might, or probably will, not protect the engine parts as well over the long term as thicker weights of oil.
    I may be running 5-20 in my trooper myself. I forget which I'm running. I think for the winter I put in 5-20 and 5-30 in the summer.

-mike
    1st thing 92-02 are not going to be exactly the same, the 92-97 have higher body lifts than the 98-02s. 2nd Calmini is known to have the worst customer service of all the Isuzu aftermarket people. It's just a word of caution is all.

-mike
    I have always used 5W30 based on past comments from Jake the expert Isuzu mechanic at ITOG.com. He felt that anything thicker than 5W30 would gradually and eventually cause engine problems, specifically with the valves/lifters? .

Well, the synthetic oil fanatics on Edmunds all think that a 10W30 synthetic is thin enough, esp. at lower temperatures, to be an acceptable substitute for a conventional 5W30.

Point: If you're using synthetic, 10W30 or 5W30 is probably thin enough. No need to use the ultra-thin 5W20 unless it's specified by the manufacturer.

Beyond that, I still didn't think Mobil 1 is offered in 5W20. paisan, you're running Mobil 1, right? I can't believe you don't remember for sure re: 5W20/5W30.

I'm checking the Mobil site right now...
    The web site lists the following grades/weights of Mobil 1 Tri-Synthetic oil:

0W-30
    0W-40
    5W-30
    10W-30
    15W-50

No mention of 5W20. I'm going to post on the synthetic oil topic over in Maintenance & Repair.

By the way, those guys over there generally recommend against using 0W30 weight or 15W50-- too wide a spread, which means there are more viscosity improvers or something, and these don't hold up as well. Better to stick with a weight that has a narrower spread, e.g. 5W30, 10W30, 15W40, etc.
  • boxtrooperboxtrooper Member Posts: 843
    I would prefer a rear bumper with class III 2 inch reciever made by ECB to match the alloy front winch bunper and expedition roof rack. All of this in the sivler-hammertone color would look great on my white 1995 fender flaringless Trooper-S that has the gray bare plastic bumpers on it now.
    I forgot to mention, the top of the bumper must have a traction surface so I can step there while reaching the roof rack or retrieving the boat.
    I already spoke with ECB, no rear bumpers in sight :( I guess there just isn't a market for em out there. They don't do a lot of rock crawling in Australia so I'm assuming not much need for a rear steel bumper.

-mike
    I forgot to mention, the top of the bumper must have a traction surface so I can step there while reaching the roof rack or retrieving the boat.
  • serpico1serpico1 Member Posts: 30
    hello all..i live in nyc and plan on either buying the trooper or a disco series II, but not until dec of this year end 2002..will i still be able to buy one or will they be all gone? i know the new suv is coming out, but what are my chances on buying a new one, not used in dec? any thoughts would be great...thx and kind regards,

eric
    Chances are close to Nil on getting a new one in NYC in Dec.

If you were buying now I'd direct you to my dealer Mark @ SI Subaru/Isuzu who can still get em. I'd say you will start having a hard time come Sept.

-mike
    could you email me or post..whatever you prefer..erichochman@hotmail.com

thank you very much.,..eric
    Call Mark Jerrick @ SI Subaru/Isuzu in Staten Island. He's a close personal friend of mine. Just be up front with him and he'll be honest with you. He may not get you the absolute best price but he won't whack you with BS fees and such, also he won't BS you on the arrival date. His # is 718-979-9595

-mike
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Paisan,

I know you were trying to he helpful and responded to a specific request for information and it is appreciated. Even though your post didn't quite reach the threshold, I want to take the opportunity to remind people that solicitation and promotion of commercial activity is not permitted on the boards under Edmund's Terms of Use to which we all agreed when we signed on.

Thanks.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • keepontroopinkeepontroopin Member Posts: 297
    is watching you Paisan.
  • savvas_esavvas_e Member Posts: 347
    Kaymar is the only manufacturer of steel rear bumpers in Australia. They make one for just about everything .... except Trooper/Jackaroo.

It's a real shame as the product is really, really good. It can be setup with additional carriers for an extra spare wheel, jerry cans, camp lighting, etc. Auxiliary tail lights are included. Have a look at www.kaymar.com.au.

There used to be a rear bumper protector for Jackaroo, made by a company called Formula OffRoad. Of course, they stopped manufacture of it just before I tried to get one. Story of my life.

I'll hunt around and see if anyone else makes one

Regards,

S a v v a s
    Raced a V8 Landcruiser from a set of traffic lights last weekend, uphill, and beat it soundly.

Just illustrated how good that Isuzu 3.5V6 is.
    I guess I should have put that info into our "Dealers Section" in the Isuzu Owners Club? Sorry bout that, I thought we were supposed to be able to exchange info about good/bad dealers on here?

-mike
    Check out on my web-page. There is a rear bumper protector made by matt at http://independent4x.com that I have on my truck and it's real nice.

-mike

Sat in my last Trooper @ an auto show EVER tonight :( Got to take over the Isuzu section and answer questions for the folks over there since they were aproximately clueless! And were able to get pics of my buddy sitting in the Assender since they let him go up on the turn table. The Assender will sell well, it's a Mall-vehicle not a true Isuzu. :(

-mike
  • tetonmantetonman Member Posts: 73
    At least here in Chicago area, there are plenty of Troopers available. One dealer in Crystal Lake, IL is advertising over 75 Troopers in stock now. Given that there are a few other dealers advertising Troopers at a good discount ($7500+ off MSRP), they should move. However, Isuzu is still a lagger behind GM/Dodge/Toyota/Nissan/Ford in the midwest.

It's a roll of the dice, but you may be able to wait a bit in IL. Good deals are available now though...
    $7,500 off MSRP on Troopers sounds as good as anything I've heard in the past few years.

Did Isuzu raise the MSRP on the '02 Troop? Seems paisan said the Limited model got more pricey, but I don't know about the full line.
    I just started to monitor the TB/EN/AS/BR board on here. Seems like they have all kinds of problems especially in the fit-finish area! :( Dang it feels good to have a Trooper! :)

-mike
  • arktrooper1arktrooper1 Member Posts: 101
    ....which is why I am not pro-Ascender one day and anti- the next as some seem to be...this has not proven to be a good vehicle so far, and shows very little promise of being so...neither was the "baby-Blazer" if you remember the board on it...it doesn't really make any difference, you can put "Isuzu" badges all over the Ascender but it is still not an Isuzu...i highly doubt the information that suggests that Isuzu jointly developed this truck with GM, as there is little, if anything to suggest it other than the fact that both have four wheels and an engine...i have heard that Isuzu helped develop the engine, but Isuzus are known for reliable engine design...unless its the parts that are faulty, im not sure why the problems with this engine if theres truly an Isuzu connection...the body speaks for itself...bad space utilization, low quality trim, etc....Dave
    I think it's the execution, and I'm sure that GM put budgetary restrictions on it. You can have the best designers in the world but if you give em a shoe string budget and sub-par assembly plants then you can't possibly expect them to built quality stuff. Sad sad days....

-mike
  • cknottcknott Member Posts: 61
    While I think that an Ascender with a 6.0L Aluminum block, lockers, other 4wd goodies would be unique and enticing based on its design (at least for me), GM's execution of this vehicle is extremely poor. As a result, it is extremely unlikely that I will actually purchase this vehicle. Isuzu will probably find out soon enough how embarrasing it will be to have another GM manufactured vehicle with an Isuzu nameplate. I thought the Isuzu Hombre would have been enough.
    I'm sure GM said to them "Sell Troopers or we are gonna jam this GM thing down your throat" and Isuzu sat on it's laurels or didn't get the funding to properly revise/promote the Trooper. A 2 year old could put out a better marketing strategy than Isuzu.

-mike
    I recently installed new tires for my 1999 Trooper/auto/TOD.

The new tires are P265/70/16 Michelin XC LT4. My gas mileage was around 16.0 mpg on average with the factory tires (Bridgestone Duellers?). It has now dropped to around 14.8 mpg (even including the adjustment for tire size/speedo variation).

Just FYI
    Unless Isuzu was in on the design for the original, regular-length TrailBlazer/Envoy/Bravada, I don't see how they had anything to do with the Ascender and its long-wheelbase cousins. And since I never heard anything during launch time last year about Isuzu being part of the design, I'm assuming they weren't.

The long versions are extremely similar to the shorter versions that have been on the market a year or so, right? Seems logical that very little additional design was done on the long versions. Probably just the stuff necessary to make the adjustments in the production process.
    Isuzu was in on the whole platform. Hence their involvement in the new S10 pickup truck also on that platform IIRC. Something like the 305Platform?

-mike
  • tetonmantetonman Member Posts: 73
    Isuzu really botched their US marketing plan. Other than the little boy looking at the Space Shuttle versus the little boy in the car looking at traffic, what was memorable about their ads?

Given the fanatical loyalty of Trooper owners, why didn't they take the Saturn approach and talk about owners whose Troopers went 200,000 miles. What about comparing features and MSRP to comparable trucks?

Personally, I am disappointed that the Trooper is being discontinued. At 34,000 miles, mine is just breaking in and I am so happy with it. Oh well at least I'll get another 100,000 miles or so out of it. Can GM deliver that in an SUV? I doubt it.
    1) Power Retractable Mirros (no one else had em til a year ago except Range Rover and TLC)
    2) Largest Moonroof Available in an SUV
    3) One of if not the best angles of approach and departure
    4) TOD
    5) Visibility
    6) Reliability
    7) Truck history
    8) Infinitely Variable heated seats v. Hi-Low heat settings
    9) Captains chairs v. sit on floor seating
    10) Price

-mike
    i think, is the LR Disco...i know, its had reliability issues, but the last few years its gotten a lot better from what i understand...its also the most authentic SUV under 40K IMHO...and unlike automakers associated with GM, associations with Ford are usually beneficial...if the Axiom were gone, i think that at this time, the Disco would probably be my choice
    I sat in the backseat of one at the auto-show. Dang small! I'd probably go for a used TLC or a GX470.

-mike
    Isuzu-GM Australia have done a really poor job of marketing the Jackaroo in Australia too. Even though it is sold under the Holden badge, marketing remained Isuzu's responsibility until early 2001. Holden then took over marketing for Jackaroo/Monterey, Frontera (your Rodeo) and Rodeo (your Hombre) and things improved, but the damage has been too long term to overcome quickly.

All they had to do, was get potential buyers to drive it. Once they did that, SOLD!

What annoys me about all that is -

1. Resale is poor for a number of years, which makes Jackaroo a long term proposition only.
    2. After market accessories (such as steel rear bars, etc) are limited due to lack of market demand.
    3. The car is a marvelous piece of engineering, and is very much under-rated in the market (as an arrogant Landcruiser owner found out last Saturday ... hehehe ... geez I enjoyed that)
    4. For @#$%'s sake, it has won the biggest Australian off-road rally 4 times! 3 years running and no one pushes the point! It out-runs and out-lasts the Ralliart Mitsubishis that do the Dakar rally!

And why on earth can't we get at least some of the accessories available in Japan? I'd love to have the rear spoiler on my car.
    Our Hombre is actually a rebadged version of the S-10 pickup. The Aussie Rodeo is an actual Isuzu based pickup. You guys get what used to be our Pup a far superior vehicle to the Hombre.

-mike
    The Land Rover Discovery is not a good substitute for a Japanese built SUV.

1. Room is lacking, especially in the 2nd and 3rd row seats.
    2. It rattles, A LOT!
    3. Travelling off-road feels like the end of the world.
    4. Though Ford has improved things to the point where you can travel from A to B reliably, it is still no match in quality to a Japanese built vehicle.

It does have some really good features though, such as Hill Descent Control, etc.

Does Toyota sell the Landcruiser Prado in the US? It is a 3.4L V6 SUV, similar in size and style to the Trooper. It's Jackaroo's closest competitor in Australia, and the only one that is better than Jackaroo off-road. Jackaroo is better on-road. Have a look at www.toyota.com.au.

I'm sure that if Prado was available in the US, there would be less worry about Ascender and the alternatives.

S a v v a s
    Prado = GX470 over here it gets the v8 4.7 engine, just started to be sold as a high end lexus. It should be re-badged as a toyota 4-runner next year with the v6 engine.

What do you think of the Terracan from Hyundai? I was impressed with it but there are no plans to sell it here.

-mike
    Two great alternative choices, for sure! I didn't think of the GX470. I can't remember when it's supposed to be available. You are talking about the new smaller Lexus, aren't you? It's platform is also going to be used in the next generation 4Runner, too, from what I read. I also heard it will start a bit over $40K, but I'm sure it will be worth every penney! Of course, you can't go wrong with the Land Cruiser.
    Paisan ... can't you sleep matey?

Terracan (and all Hyundai's) suffer from quality control problems unfortunately.

I know of two Hyundai Santa Fe owners and they both regret their choices. One had a clutch replaced after only 7000kms (is that around 4000 miles?)

My mother-in-law also had a Sonata which fortunately was destroyed in the Sydney hailstorm of 1999. That was missing the sealant goes between body panels. Hence it travelled like a leaking boat in rain.

S a v v a s
    And if Hyundai is true to form im guessing pricing in the US from the hight 20's to the very low $30's....unfortunately, as you say, no plans to import to the US...things can always change though....
    I'm surprised you don't have the Prado yet. It's been available here since around '96, when it replaced the 4-Runner.

I expect the one you're getting maybe the new version.
    i havent heard of quality issues on a widespread basis in the US in awhile....i do think that Hyundai still has room for improvement, but i still might trust them enough to buy one of their cars
    My dad has a sonata, it's an ok car and for the $ you can't go wrong with it. The GX470 was at the NY Auto Show that I went to on wed. Didn't get a chance to climb in/around it but from the outside it looked good. They said $35-$45K depending on equipment. The 4-runner re-badge will probably be nice as well and if it's made in Japan that is a good sign.

-mike
    Savvas,

I would really be interested in seeing the Toyota landcruiser Prado in the USA. Based on its dimensions, it has a forerunner chassis and powertrain, but with a different body.

It is my understanding and personal observation including a comparison of dimensions and powertrain, that the Lexus GX470 and the Toyota Sequoia have the same chassis and powertrain, but with a slightly different body.
    Sequoia isn't the GX470, the GX470 is the Prado, the new 4-runner will be the Prado also. I belive the TLC and LX470 will be shortly departing the US market and a rebadge Sequoia will replace the LX470 in the lexus line.

-mike