Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Trooper

Comments

• gao16gao16 Member Posts: 7
    I'm having a little problem with my Trooper and before I took it to the dealer I want to see if anyone has experienced the same problem.

When the truck is started after sitting for a while(usually overnight or 8 hours at work)it will make a rattling noise like a loose heat shield. It only does this at certain RPM and the problem goes away after a few minutes. The engine also runs roughly while it rattles.

Like I said, after a few minutes both problems go away and the truck drives great. In my opinion it is a bad catalytic converter. Does anyone out there have any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Greg
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    It's a bad muffler most likely. Conway who used to post up here had that problem, and my buddy also had that problem on his. Dealer replaced the muffler and it's all good now.

-mike
    The rough idle may or may not be related to the muffler. It could be the intake manifold gasket which has also cropped up as a problem.

-mike
    ...But both problems go away at the same time just a few minutes after the engine is started. Also it is not so much a rough idle as a slow acceleration accompanied by a jerkiness.
    Ok then the 2 are probably related to the muffler and/or cat. My guess is that the muffler is the culprit.

-mike
    ...because the Dodge van that I drive at work has a very bad rattle that the mechanic immediately diagnosed as a bad cat. I know the makes are totally different but I will generalize anyway.

Oh well, time to bring it to the dealer. Too bad, I don't want to leave it there-it's a great truck.
  • boxtrooperboxtrooper Member Posts: 843
    My 1995.5 3.2L SOHC Trooper lifter ticking has once again stopped. But while it was ticking it was on my mind to swap for a tick proof newer Trooper.

I really like a manual shift, it makes driving more fun. I really like the TOD function for slippery highways. So, it would be hard to choose between them. I think the TOD plus automatic downshifting would be my choice. Without the auto downshift I would again choose manual.

Which years / models of Trooper TOD automatic transmissions have the automatically downshift going down hills? Does this feature only work with cruise control on? Can you get the autodownshift feature without leather seats?
  • serranoserrano Member Posts: 107
    Boxtrooper,

I believe that 2000 and up models have the grade logic transmission software.

Regards,
    Tom
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    My 99 does not have grade logic built into it. However, when 4wd is engaged, it does provide resistance when you come off the gas? Nothing in my documentation says grade logic, but I have read that this is a feature of TOD. So in wet weather in TOD, downhills the truck is applying gearing to all 4 wheels. It does this on flats too when you come off the gas.
    2000->2002 Have grade logic trannies. All ATs in 00->02 Have it. They also got drive-by-wire as well. What happens is if you are in a downslope and let off the gas completely it will shift down to 3rd gear to effectively apply engine braking w/o having to hit the brakes. It works best going from 4->3 and 3->2 definitely worth getting a 00->02 IMHO.

-mike
  • sdc2sdc2 Member Posts: 780
    Yeah I have noticed on my 99 the tranny doesn't "freewheel" (coast without engine braking) when you let off the gas . Which is good, because freewheeling would be a bad thing for going down steep hills off-road ...
    I think pre-grade-logic trannys would un-lock the torque converter instead of downshifting. This will provide some resistence but not as much as a downshift.

-mike
  • thorjstthorjst Member Posts: 1
    I was recently told by a friend that his friend (a dealer) told him that there has been a history of engine problems in Isuzu Trooper engines, a problem with distribution of oil at mid mileage, that the engines should have been recalled. He was apparently fairly adamant about this going on to state that there have been engine failures due to this and a lot of lawsuits. Has anyone heard of this?
    There have been some head problems in early 90s trucks but this causes sticking lifters. No engine failures to my knowledge. Maybe he had some customers who have had problems due to poor maintenance and they were adament about poor isuzu quality.

Most engines goe for 200+K miles

-mike
  • dielectric7bbdielectric7bb Member Posts: 324
    It is known that the 3.2 leaks oil around the spark plugs/manifold seal (???). No known engine failures to my knowledge. I have a '95 3.2L A/T with 87k and burns/loses a quart every 5000 miles. No big whoop for me.
  • sdc2sdc2 Member Posts: 780
    First I've heard of that, and I have been hanging around here for about 2 years.

The only consistent problem I have heard on the 3.5L is the intake manifold gaskets in cold weather, and that is a relatively easy repair.

Some of the 3.2L have a problem with noisy hydraulic lifters, not sure if that affects longevity or is just annoying.
  • bsmart1bsmart1 Member Posts: 377
    I could use input on which model Trooper to purchase between 98-02 models. What are the pro's and con's for these models? It looks like they are going to Total my 97' so I'm looking to replace it. Did the engine change any from 98-02?? I know most of the other changes with TOD etc. I think. Any ideas and input is appreciated. I just got my Rancho's installed on the 97' 2 days before accident. That sucks!! I have a Hidden Hitch purchased ($99) from Whitney, I'll install that on my 01' Trooper. I also bought the poly sway bar bushings for the 97' but I'll put them on the 01' as well.
  • cwmosercwmoser Member Posts: 227
    bsmart1,

IIRC, the 1998 Troopers were 3.2L engines, while the 1999-2002 are 3.5L engines. Additionally, the 2000 and later Troopers utilize "drive by wire" where the gas peddal is not mechanical - instead it is electronic. 2000 and later models have a 10 year warrantee that is transferrable only to members of your family. Also, 2001-2002 have better grade logic in the transmission. All of these feature are not deal killers - all are good trucks and go for the best deal.

What I would consider most important are things you can easily overlook such as if you are in a hot climite, look for Troopers with tinted glass. Additionally, if you can obtain the oil consumption history, go for the one that uses least amount of oil as Trooper engines vary on oil burn from 1qt per 1,000 miles to almost no oil loss between oil changes.
  • dielectric7bbdielectric7bb Member Posts: 324
    not the 3.2 as I recall.

:-)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Edmunds says the 3.5L was standard in '98.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    98-99: No drive by wire, no grade logic
    00: Adds grade logic, drive by wire, auto temp controls, TOD on all ATs, no moonroof avail for S model
    01: Adds electric fan for AC condenser
    02: TOD optional on S model, Tinted windows std on all models, in-glass antenna std.
    All have 3.5l engines

-mike
    If it's getting totalled, why not remove the shocks from the old one?

-mike
  • mkayemkaye Member Posts: 184
    find out what body shop it is in, go to the shop, the shop doesn't care what you pull off and get the good stuff off of it!

The insurance is just gonna junk it and likely it will be parted out, so a few missing parts won't matter.
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    3.2L:

Only common one I'm aware of is the leaky valve seals or whatever (was kinda mentioned earlier)

3.5L:
    Intake manifold gasket is the only common problem I'm aware of.

1991 and earlier Troopers had much less stellar engine reputations. The 2.8L V6 had many common problems from what I've heard, but most were not serious and were easy/cheap for an average mechanic to fix. The Isuzu 2.6L 4 cylinder was known for cracked head problems. I think the problem frequency lessened with each model year (this engine was available 1988-1991, IIRC).
    If the little things really matter, you might want to do more research.

E.g. in 1998 the S with Performance Package (equivalent to the LS from '99 and newer) did not come with fog lamps. To get fogs on a '98, you had to get the Luxury Package (equivalent to the Limited models from '99 & up).

In '98 and '02, it's possible to have an auto trans Trooper that does NOT have TOD. From '99 to '01, TOD was standard on auto trans Troopers (excluding the 2WD ones).
    This as far as I know is limited to 1995 3.2L SOHC engines. There are small clearances and not hard enough metal in a couple of parts in the valve train that when the oil gets dirty fill with crud. Once filled with crud, one or more lifters make an awful racket. Changing to a low viscosity oil and keeping the oil very very clean, will clear up the noise over a seemingly very long couple hundred miles. If the noise does not clear up in a couple hundred miles change the oil again or get one of those Bilstein Oil Flushes done, then drive it another couple hundred miles to clear it up. Clearing it up seems slow and painful, sort of like a human passing kidney stones. If allowed to make the noise for a very long time the parts involved with making the noise, operating without adaquate oil, will wear out. The replacement parts are somewhere around $1500 and installation is another $1500 to fully replace all the troubling parts on both heads.

Has anyone replaced 1995 SOHC heads with heads from a later model that has the rockless cam over valve drive train that does not suffer from this lifter noise issue? It seems to me that if the fuel injectors are in the intake manifold and the spark plugs and wires are used from the 1995 SOHC, that leaves only the mechanical valve function to the head itself. If the timing belt can be made to work, the valve openning and closing ought to be taken care of correctly and with no other changes the "1995 DOHC cam over vlave" engine is born.

Is anyone familiar with the heads of both the 1995 SOHC and a later cam over valve head to know if this might work? Would it help the engine to breath better (particularily if the new heads are from a 3.5L) too?

Isuzu is getting out of the Trooper business, we will have to get into what parts with work with what engine sooner or later. So please think about this one for me.

Thank You
    Boxtrooper
    The Corviar society of America or some Corvair enthusiasts made a list available for keeping the old Corvairs going. In the eighties I had a 1964 Corvair 8 door GreenBriar Deluxe van. I needed front ball joints. No new parts were available. The dealer parts counter guys would go in the back and have a good laugh with the other guys when I would ask for parts. So, I looked them up in the list. Sure enough, there was a compatible part, 1972 Corvette front ball joints are the same as for my 1964 Corvair 8 door GreenBriar Deluxe van. The dealers like to carry Corvette parts even beyond the minimum 10 years required. So I had a good supply of parts.

Paison, maybe you could find room for such a list on http://www.Isuzu-Suvs.com and figure out a way to invite people to add to the list.

• cwmosercwmoser Member Posts: 227
    1999 Troopers did not utilize the "Limited" badging for trucks that had the Performance and Luxury packages - those Troopers so equipped had a decal titled "Luxury" on the rear door.

Wow -- I thought the 1998 was 3.2L but was corrected in that 1998 - 2002 have 3.5L engines. Might make a good web page detailing all the differences mentioned in this thread -- hey Paisan, want to put up this information along with commentary on tires??

BTW, my 1999 Trooper has electric fold out mirrors - are these still offered on the 2002's?

Also, I remember earlier model year Troopers having wipers on the headlamps like some European cars like the Mercedes. Anyone know what years those were offered? I find this Trooper tivia interesting.
    On my oil filter adapter, the part between the oil filter and the engine block that has the cooling water atachment, has two plugs in it. The way the plugs are in the casting it looks to me like these plugs are into the oil in and oil out ports. They are about the size of a 1/2 inch pipe thread plug, but probably they are metric.

Can I remove these plugs and attach oil hose leading to an additional oil filter such as an Amsoil bypass filter or full flow and bypass filter combination?

I am asking because I want to improve the oil cleaning abiltiy for my 1995 SOHC so I can prevent the lifter tick. On top of the intake manifold there are a few large threaded holes and there is 8 or 9 inches of clearance below the closed hood, so that would be my choice of where to mount the remote oil filter(s) using a sturdy aluminum bracket with a catch pan to catch any oil drips while changing filters.
    boxtrooper, I could be wrong but I seem to recall from itog.com discussions that the lifter noise was pretty common on the 3.2L 6-cylinder Trooper engines, which were available from '92-'97. I know there were a few different variations of this motor, and I thought the problem was fairly common and not specific to one particular iteration.

You seem to know more about the subject, so perhaps you're right about this.
    I don't think there is a 10 year requirement to stock parts in NA (ever find a link Paisan?). Daewoo Dealers are struggling with that now with new Daewoo's. Tincup over in the Land Rover boards says it's an urban legend.

Steve
    Host
  • savvas_esavvas_e Member Posts: 347
    All Monterey models in Australia since 1992, including the current release, have headlamp wipers.

I have them, haven't had that much use for them, and can live without them. But they do come in handy when you have been mud-larking.
  • savvas_esavvas_e Member Posts: 347
    I just had a read of the Hyundai Sante Fe forum. Very frightening! Reminds me never to buy one.

Well lads, enjoy your Friday! I'm off for the weekend.
    I am pretty sure they came on 92-97 Luxury/top of the line models. They disappeared in 98 with the nose re-design for NA.

Power folding mirrors are available on LS and Limited models through 02. S does not get power folders.

I would love to get info on parts and tires for http://isuzu-suvs.com I'll likely try to gather the info over the next month or so and work on it during my vacation while sitting on the deck @ the lake house in July :)

My subaru XT6 is similar in that they only made 4K cars over 3 model years, so we are always figuring out which other subaru parts fit it.

-mike

If you get a chance could you find out how much a used headlight assembly w/wiper and motor would run? I'm thinking of swapping out my headlight assemblies with Aussie spec. Also what bulbs do you take in yours? H4?

-mike
  • fiveharpersfiveharpers Member Posts: 53
    Yesterday afternoon our Trooper was hit headon by a 33 inch wheel that broke free from a utility truck that was traveling in the opposite lanes. The wheel hit in the right center of the bumper, grill and hood and crushed these parts. It also pushed the top of the radiator in and broke the side of the battery case. Quick thinking by the wife prevented much worse because she hit the brakes and a truck in the next lane hit the brakes to prevent from getting hit by the wheel, but the dump trunk behind that vehicle coundn't stop so it switched to the lane with the Trooper, then the wife switched over into next lane as the dump truck never stoped. All is well except the Trooper, waiting for the insurance adjuster so repairs can begin.
    Glad everyone is safe fiveharpers.

And they say that Troopers rollover in emergency situations?

Hopefully it won't be a big repair bill, seems mostly cosmentic. :)

-mike
    I think paisan is pretty much correct with what he said in post #4534.

I thought the power-fold mirrors had been standard on all Troopers for a while. If not, that's a little disappointing. I really wish our minivan had 'em. They come in real handy for us-- pulling into the garage, not squeezing between trees on the trails as we don't do that.
  • keepontroopinkeepontroopin Member Posts: 297
    If they are going to total your trooper would you be interested in selling a few items from it. Please let me know. You can e-mail me at chapla.t@mellon.com.
  • keepontroopinkeepontroopin Member Posts: 297
    Hey did any of you check out the website listed a few posts ago concerning the roof rack? This dealer sells Trooper Fleece Jackets. Anyone interested in a group buy? I sent them an e-mail to try and get some prices. Let me know if anyone is interested.
    I'd love a fleece
    let me know how much :)

-mike
  • bstone3bstone3 Member Posts: 97
    Check out USAToday on the new owner survey listing. Unfortunately Isuzu products did poorly. Our beloved Troopers were darn near at the bottom of the list. Axiom and Rodeos also scored poorly. Sure has not been my experience - but it does reflect Isuzu is fading into the sunset. Troopers are good long term - I hope - but factory assembly control and dealer prep are not up to par - and Troopers are Japanese products - I am dissapointed.
    Anyone who gets their car news from USA Today is in a sad state of affairs :)

-mike
  • amigo_johnamigo_john Member Posts: 107
    Yeah, and Chrysler is ranked 17 spots ahead of Isuzu. Gimme a break.
  • tetonmantetonman Member Posts: 73
    Give your wife our congrats on quick thinking and great driving skills. Glad to hear that she's okay, sorry about the Trooper though....
  • gtroopgtroop Member Posts: 85
    I'm not sure if the Acura SLX had them after the remake but you might check that out.
    Please no soliciting (including group buys, parting out, etc.). Thanks.

Steve
    Host
  • bsmart1bsmart1 Member Posts: 377
    was not limited to the 1995 version of the 3.2L engine. My 97' model engine experienced the same thing. I has limited success quieting it down with 0W-30 Mobil 1. It was recommended by the Isuzu dealer as one of their service bulletins.

I haven't made a decision on the Totaling of the 97' yet. I'm waiting on the insurance company to give me all the options available to me right now. Should get an answer sometime today. Man I hate to lose this car. It only has 67,000 miles on it and looks perfect inside. It was a 'cream puff' for sure until that accident! Kinda turns my stomach every time I think about it. What really hurts is you lose out on the Sales Tax issue as if you are buying the replacement vehicle for cash. That's about a $1000 dollar hit!

Hope to have more info soon.
    re-post that over in the Isuzu Owner's Club, I think it's something that the community there would be interested in.

-mike
  • mkayemkaye Member Posts: 184
    Unfortunately, that survey was the JD Powers Initial Quality survey. Something sounds terribly wrong here though. Did Consumer Reports buy JD Powers? ;-)