Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Trooper

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You might want to play around with the Message Center/Read Subscriptions buttons. Saves a lot of clicks.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • pica1pica1 Member Posts: 23
    The salesman and me, parked on the side of the road trying to figure out why the TOD indicator was flashing its rear wheels at us.

The Trooper (2001, 3.5L, automatic, 34,002 miles) seems like a nice truck. Lots of room, although whomever had it for the past year certainly used it hard (dirt here, plastic trim scuffed there, etc.) The cloth seats looked to be in good shape, though, and the white paint and silver trim looked nice.

However, once I turned the key and began pulling out of the parking space, I saw the TOD indicator rear wheels flashing. Neither of us knew why, but the salesman suggested that perhaps the flashing was normal.

A couple of minutes later, the word "check" flashed on in a little box below the rear axle. Hmmmm...

So I pulled over onto a small dirt parking area. We spent 15 or so minutes flipping through the owner's manual trying to find out why the rear wheels were flashing.

In fooling around with the 4WD transfer case lever, I also noted that the front wheels only lit up for 4Low when the lever was moved JUST SO. All the way forward, and the light wouldn't come on. Maybe it's a bad sensor. Maybe it's a bad switch. Maybe it's something I don't want to fool with.

The salesman said that the truck was still under Isuzu warranty (less than 2,000 miles worth) and suggested that it could be looked at by Isusu. I'm wondering why if a vehicle isn't right they's try to sell it anyway (but that's just me)

Aside from the TOD issue and the handling, it seems like a nice vehicle. I just don't know if I want to fool around with a powertrain issue from the get-go. Has this been a common problem? Is this a minor glitch or something that, as Ann Landers would say, run, don't walk, from?

BTW, the Trooper is Bob Ferrando Ford World in Girard, Pa., on Route 20 (a bit west of Erie, Pa., just north of I-90).

Mark
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I'm willing to bet an oil-change that it's the speed sensors. I had mine go bad and they were covered under warranty. Just an FYI, the Isuzu warranty is 3/50K bumper to bumper and 5/60K on the power-train. So you have 16K miles left on the bumper to bumper warranty.

I would definitely not rule out the truck. When you were putting it in 4-lo were you in neutral? You need to be in neutral and not moving to put it in 4-lo. Also if the TOD was flashing you probably couldn't put it into 4-lo easily.

-mike
    Speed sensors, you say? Any problems after they were replaced? Is the speed sensors failing a common problem? I ask because I don't know much about Isuzus.

I'm sure a condition of sale would involve the dealer taking the truck to an Isuzu dealership and making sure the work was done before money changes hands.

As for 4-lo, the truck was in neutral and my foot on the brake. When I moved the lever forward, there was a thunk/clank sound of *something* engaging. If I didn't move the lever quite all the way forward, the TOD's front tires would light up (all three segments green). If I moved it forward another 1/4 inch, the lights would go out.

Also, in the lower left-hand corer there's an oval window where the warning lights come on when the key is turned. According to the manual a small icon of the two axles (similar to the TOD) is supposed to come on when the truck starts. Also, that I con is supposed to flash (I think) when 4-hi is active, and stay lit when 4-low is engaged.

It never lit up -- not when the key was turned, not when 4-hi was activated, not when the truck was put into 4-low. What do you make of that?

Thanks!
    Mine were replaced @ 10K miles I now have 40K on the truck, and use the TOD almost 24x7 when the truck is running. No problems yet.

The manual with the smaller icon with the 2 axles is not present on TOD equipped vehicles. The TOD guage should light up the rear wheels solid and "auto" lit in the TOD light. Then over 5mph the first bar on the front axle will light indicating 15% power to the front. It will fluxuate as you drive. In 4-low the front axle will light up solid and "auto" will go off.

Definitely sounds like the speed sensors are not allowing TOD to engage. This can cause 4-low not to engage properly. The TOD system is very robust and I rarely hear of any problems other than about 2 or 3 people who have had their sensors replaced.

-mike
  • bawbcatbawbcat Member Posts: 118
    After quite a bit of searching, I may have found the right Trooper for me. This will be my first one, and will replace an 89 Jeep Cherokee Ltd. I've placed a deposit on a 98 Troop with 47k miles, performance package, sunroof, and CD. It's selling for $11.5k from a "wholesale dealer" in the Dallas area. It's a one owner off-lease vehicle, and an Autocheck report shows a clean history. I would be buying it remotely and having it shipped. This makes me a bit nervous, but it's a much better price than I've found locally. I'm going to have it inspected at an Isuzu dealer before I commit.

Does this sound like a good deal to you guys? Is there anything in particular I should have them look for during the inspection?

Thanks for all the great info on this board!
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    That sounds like an excellent price. In fact, it depresses me-- our 98 Trooper with 65k miles has Perf. Pkg., TOD, and 6-disc in-dash CD, but no sunroof. I figured I could get about $12k for it now, though it's not for sale. Maybe that's overly optimistic.

Do you know if the sun/moonroof is the factory one? You'd probably recognize it-- they are HUGE.

Did you pay the 15 bucks for the detailed Carfax report, or just the free one? Especially if you're dealing with some sort of a 'wholesale dealer' I'd say the 15 bucks is worth it. Or you can pay 20 bucks and get unlimited Carfaxes for a period of time (60 days?).
    Why would a dealer sell a vehicle even though they know it has something wrong? I think this happens all the time. If a dealer can sell a vehicle without sinking money into repairing it, they will do it.

In your case, it's easy to see why the dealer is trying to do this. They're a Ford dealer, so they wouldn't be able to fix the TOD problem on their own. And though it's not a major hassle for them to have it serviced at an Isuzu dealer, most dealers aren't willing to take the time to do that. Just my 2 cents.

The Edmunds group is a small sample size of 98+ Trooper owners, but I haven't heard many issues wiht the speed sensors. paisan is the only one I can think of whose Trooper has had this problem. And he drives his truck harder than most of us, which may or may not have anything to do with it.
  • cobbocobbo Member Posts: 34
    Actually, I've got a 2001 Trooper LTD w/TOD & I've had the speed sensors replaced twice in the past 33k miles, but it's a quick replace & was only a minor annoyance one of the two times because it affected a long-distance trip back through a wicked storm...love the Troop & looking forward to racking up another 4 yrs or so before I look for a replacement...Hope ya'll are out havin' fun..-Cobbo
    Well I picked up my buddy's K40 lip-mounted antenna today and just installed it on the spoiler in about 15 minutes. The sound clarity rocks! Distance has increased and now I don't have to worry about it coming off!

Can't wait to test it on the highway, but I know it can recieve at least 3 miles cause I was hitting a few truckers on the highway 3 miles from my place!

I'll snap some shots this week and put em up.

-mike
    The family took the Trooper out for a second test drive (Saturday). Gobs of room for car seats and the stuff two kids require away from home.

The bad news: Aside from the check light blinking on the TOD in 2WD mode (curiously, it goes way when 4WD-hi is activated) we discovered that the cruise control doesn't work. Is this related to the speed sensor issue for the TOD?

There's also a rattle somewhere in the rear seat area, and my wife detected a slight whistling noise from the windshield area. Also, the driver's window seems to have a bit too much power. When I put the window up, it pressed really hard into the frame, slightly distorting the door panel.

During our test drive, we wondered why a one-year-old truck with "only" 34,000 miles would have these things wrong. I thoght maybe it had been driven pretty hard, then tossed away like a Bic razor when things started to go wrong. My wife thought perhaps it had been in an accident.

Turns out it may have been a bit of both.

On the way out of the dealership, I jotted down the VIN in order to do a CARFAX search. The result: The Trooper started life in a major car rental agency's fleet in Rochester, N.Y.

Hmmmmmmm.
    Probably related to the speed sensors in the TOD and/or the brake-light fuse.

The window thing is common on all isuzus, not an issue.

Whistling windshield? Does it have a bug deflector? If so I believe a few people on here had a similar problem and an easy fix for it. It's due to the shape of the windshield and gasket.

Hearing it was a rental isn't a great sign, but these are all things that you could use to work the price down further. Another option is to look for another Trooper if it suites your needs.

-mike
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    I would pass. I am sure there are enough quality used cars, including Trooper's on the market. I wouldn't get an old rental. 34K rental miles is probably more like 150K in regular terms.
    about the Carfax report. It took all of 10 seconds to eliminate the Trooper from our short list. The possibility of further trouble down the road just seems a bit high, given its rental history.

But I've got a bit of time to look for a replacement (I hope) and I might run across another good used Trooper.

Thanks for all of the advice!
  • cwmosercwmoser Member Posts: 227
    Don't give up on Troopers - just try and find a good example. I have had two, 1989 and a 1999, and they are the best vehicles I have ever owned. I bought my 1999 new and it has not given me any trouble.
  • keepontroopinkeepontroopin Member Posts: 297
    Pica my Trooper was an Avis rental. It however only had 6K on it when I bought it. It is now about to roll past 50,000 and I haven't had any problems.
  • pj4bamapj4bama Member Posts: 2
    Hi - Just got a new '02 Trooper and love it. Only problem is that while installing my Aiwa CD/MP3 radio, I found that I had 2 antenna leads from the Isuza glass-mounted (rear quarter window) diversity antennas and only the single standard antenna plug for my new radio.

One of the Isuzu plugs (the larger standard size) fits my radio, but I get little or no reception. The other plug (mini-size) just has no where to go. The factory ISUZU cassette deck had plugs for both.

Anybody run across this?? Solutions ?? Adapters ?? Manual wiring?? Anything.

thx.
    Maybe crutchfield has an adapter for it? Just a thought.

-mike
    Don't get too depressed. I'm pretty sure you could get $12k for your Trooper if you wanted. The one that I'm looking at appears to be a pretty good deal. We'll see if it's for real after I get the inspection report. :) I didn't pull a Carfax report on it, but I went with Autocheck instead which is a similar service. Carfax showed 4 records in the free check, and Autocheck showed 6, so I purchased the report from Autocheck. It didn't show anything unusual. On the other hand, it didn't show any lease history even though I'm pretty sure it was previously leased, so those reports aren't foolproof. I would have preferred a privately owned vehicle, but I'll settle for an off-lease if it's the right car at the right price. I'd never buy a previous rental vehicle.
  • bsmart1bsmart1 Member Posts: 377
    This is the best deal I've heard of! I am quite surprised at that pricing. If all the other data comes up clean, you've done really well!

Question...I did some looking this weekend to replace my wrecked 97'. Saw a 99' Performance, an 00' S and an 01' S. Only looked at the S models because the dealer swore over the phone that they were LS models. Amazing what these non-ISUZU dealers DON"T know about vehicles. Anyway, I noticed the the 00' S Trooper had a fixed position drivers seat. Is this standard for the 00' model?? Sure it would move forward and back, but had no position height adjustment front or rear. I saw all the typical manual adjusters on the 01' driver seat. Just thought this was odd and was surprised by it.
    I'm settling on the 99' Performance Trooper. Working out the details with the dealer, who thankfully is an ISUZU dealer. It's got a few paint issues I want them to fix before driving it away. They did a complete service on it changing all fluids in the diffs, xfer case, xmission, and engine flush. Also turned rotors due to some vibration when braking.

This rotor warping seems to be a common thing with Troopers. Others of you seen this with your vehicles??
    More later as the deal closes.
    Happy Trooping !!;-)
  • keepontroopinkeepontroopin Member Posts: 297
    How come none of you are posting over there? Wagons.....please give me a break!
    Bsmart1,
    The 98 and 99 base S models that I've looked at did not have the seat adjustment knobs. I think you had to get the performance package in those years to get them. From your abservations, it looks like the S model in 2000 was the same way. You must have had to get the LS in order to get the extra seat adjustments. I think the arm rests typically go along with the extra seat adjustments too.

In regards to pricing, check out the TMV values here on Edmunds. You might be surprised how inexpensive the 98-99 models are. In reality though, I haven't seen too many that were actually advertised near TMV.
    The 00S did have manual adjustments for the driver. I'm pretty sure cause when I testdrove one when getting my LS I was suprised it had it.

-mike
  • pj4bamapj4bama Member Posts: 2
    Learned a few moments ago that there is an internal signal booster that must be powered in order to get a good FM signal. So it seems I have one more connection to make. I'll cross my fingers...
  • eschatfischeeschatfische Member Posts: 9
    paisan --

My 2000 S doesn't have the height adjustments -- just standard base and seatback "back and forth" adjustments.
  • savvas_esavvas_e Member Posts: 347
    Just thought that you Trooper afficionados would be interested to know that the Holden Rally Team Jackaroo has just won the Class 7/8 car division in the 2002 Finke Desert Race, the world's longest desert race at 460km long.

Details are on -
    http://www.holden.com.au/app/serve?page=holdenRallyOverview
    http://www.finkedesertrace.com.au

Total race time for the Jackaroo was 5h:16m:56s. So the AVERAGE speed was 87km/h or about 55mph, over desert sand tracks!

Hopefully they'll get some photos of the 2002 event up soon.

I bought my Trooper new and at 500 miles the rotors warped. The dealer turned them but have not had any problems at all since then - now have almost 40k miles.
  • sdc2sdc2 Member Posts: 780
    Ah yes, the 99 Performance Package, the Prince of Troopers! ;-) (Guess which one I've got?)

As others have indicated, the base S model in 99 at least did not have any seat adjustments, which is a large reason I ended up with a PP Trooper with the "eight-way" adjustable seat. I really disliked the position of the base S seat, and was about to give up on shopping for a Trooper when I discovered the PP models had more adjustability.

Besides, I liked the monotone paint scheme anyway...
    Monotone. That's why I love my LS :)

-mike
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    Does anyone know how to get the ashtray out? I have tried and there doesn't seem to be a simple trick? I want to remove the entire unit so see if I can fit a CB in that spot.
    experienced any brake rotor problems with your Trooper?? I had to have the rotors turned on my 97' and this 99' has had the rotors turned on it due to vibration issues while braking. It has 39,000 miles on it. I wonder if this is a common issue with late model Troopers. Now that I recall, I had to have rotors replaced on my 1988 Trooper after about a year of service as well. The replacements are still in service now at 120,000 plus miles with no problems though. I've requested a CARFAX from the dealer to see the ownership history of this 99' just to quiet some of the questions in the back of my mind on it. Hope the come up with a clean record.
    Happy TRooping!!
    I like the look of our monotone Red Rock Mica 98 Troop, but I like the two-tone look equally well.

Our 98 was used for a year and 7,000 miles by Isuzu USA before we bought it. I don't know if it had any brake problems before we bought it, but it just turned 65,000 miles yesterday and we've had no brake issues during our ownership of the truck. I probably should have the brakes inspected, just to find out how much pad life is left.
    I have to have one of my rears turned at 40K due to my pad wearing too thin. 40K on a set of pads in the rear and the fronts still going aren't bad considering my driving style.

-mike
    I was tinkering with the 'Multimeter' on my Trooper yesterday. Until then, I had not paid much attention to that gizmo. So, I went to the local airport for an elevation reference, set the altimeter, drove home, and then noted the elevation at home in the garage (720 ft). That was yesterday. This morning I noted that the elevation readout in the garage was not as I had recorded it yesterday. Those of you who have the 'Multimeter' accessory, are you having the same experience as I have described?
  • dielectric7bbdielectric7bb Member Posts: 324
    that's to be expected. I don't have one in my Trooper, but I know that they just measure atmospheric pressure. If the pressure changes, then it thinks your elevation has changed, which is why you must calibrate it. I went on an 8 hour drive once, from zero to 7000 feet and the altimeter on that Trooper was within 100 feet when we got to the destination.
    The discussion on the Multimeter got me to thinkng. It is correct that only the 2000+ Troopers with the auto climate control include an exterior temp display? If so, has anyone found a good way to add an exterior temp display to a 98+ Trooper without auto climate control? It would be nice if there was something avaiable that monted cleanly into or onto the dash.
  • savvas_esavvas_e Member Posts: 347
    There's all sorts of indoor/outdoor thermometers that are available at electronics shops, that can mount on to the dash using double sided tape. Not entirely OEM looking, but functional.

You will need to place a temperature sensor somewhere outside of the cabin though. Maybe in a door frame cavity somewhere.
    Was available on 98->02 it's a separate item and only available on 00->02 in the Limited. It's a $500 item at the dealer :(

I'd go with something from JC whitney, I want to find one, but not real high on the priority list.

-mike
  • flyinlowflyinlow Member Posts: 62
    Actually, we have outside temp on our 2002 LS model. It's one of the screens on the "computer" that is otherwise not very useful but plenty confusing to operate!
    Do you have leather in your 02?
    Maybe they brought back the Multimeter as an option on the LS for 02. Or the dealer may have installed it cause they had one laying around.

-mike
  • mkayemkaye Member Posts: 184
    hmmm.
    Looks like the outside temp is maybe in the dash on the 02 according to Edmunds? It is shown for the LS w/o the compass feature, so I wonder if it is NOT in the multimeter section.
    Very interesting.

My guess though is that the dealer added it on trying to clear out their parts bin. Just like Isuzu is doing with the Trooper Part-time 4wd units for the ATs on some of the S models this year. I'm just picturing a bunch of Japanese dudes at the factory rummaging through stock rooms going "Hey Joe"..." Look what I found from '98!"... "I guess you should stick it on the 02 since we won't be making them next year"..."Good Idea."

For instance my buddy got his '00 Trooper with Orange colored rear turn signal housings, when all other '00s I've seen have clear/white housings.

-mike
    Well my rear rotor was toast due to the metal on metal. But R&S Strauss had replacement rotors for the rear for $40/each so I picked them up. Pads from St. Charles will be here today so I should be able to install them tonight if the weather holds. Not bad $120 total for the rear rotors and pads.

-mike
    It was available with the Multimeter on the 97" Limited Trooper as well. FWIW I think it was available on any year that included the Multimeter. R&S; are they just a local supplier, or are they a nationwide chain of stores? Good to know rotors are available at a lower cost that the ridiculous DEALER price.
    97->99 you could get the multimeter as a stand alone option. Starting in 00 the multimeter was no longer and option and was std on the Limited models.

-mike
  • bstone3bstone3 Member Posts: 97
    I had the multimeter installed on my 01 LS - $600 when I bought it. The altimeter, compass and temperature readout were on my list of must haves - that altimeter is cool - not a very common item on any automobile. I have installed some aftermarket external temp guages before and really didn't like the look - also at night you can't see them or you have to push a button for night glow - plus - change batteries - which can also freeze and leak if you live where it can get really cold. I allmost lost a vehicle once when the temp dropped below freezing and the road iced over because there was enough humidity in the air - you couldn't see any ice - just a thin glaze - that temp guage just adds some knowledge to road conditions. When I first got the vehicle I went to the airport and adjusted the altitude readout for the airport elevation. Then drove right home and recorded the elevation. Now I adjust the altimeter to the same reading whenever I leave the house - atmospheric pressure changes can swing that reading up to plus or minus 600 feet depending on how severe the low or high pressure is the time. The temperature sensor is very accurate - only gripe is that the sensor is located too high under the hood - causes the temp to rise like crazy when you stop - I'm considering lowering the location - its easy to get to by removing the front cowl. If you have a moonroof the wiring is there to hook-up the multimeter - you might be able to get one for less if the dealers have some in stock they want to move - or you have a buddy. 21K miles so far - no break issues although I remember the service manager told me they screen the breaks pretty close when you bring them in for service. Troopers will hold up - there are several of the older boxy Troopers in the area where I live. When I check them out the paint is faded but the interior is prime and no rust through.
    Cool to know the wiring is there. Does that mean the sensors are there too? In other words If one were to get the box for the multimeter could it be a plug and play type deal?

-mike
    Don't know about the sensor - only advice is to remove the plastic nose cowl - simple - and look. As you face the radiator the sensor would be located at the upper right corner of the radiator- drivers side - mounted to the frame surrounding the radiator - under a metal lip - which helps trap the heat when you stop. Other vehicle that I have seen mount the sensor low in front of the radiator where outside air is alway flowing over the sensor. The Troopers sensor is basicly shielded from this flow unless moving. Decided to go outside at work and just pop the hood - if you look down the gap between the drivers side headlight and the top of the plastic shield toward the top of the radiator you can easily see the sensor and wiring. Le me know what you see.
    Thanks Bstone. I'll be working on the Troop this evening so I'll post up my results, maybe with a pic if I find it.

-mike
    There is no sensor for the barometric reading - it is inside the box - same for the compass. Also, I hard wired my radar detector - yea I'm a gadget freak - want a CB too - to the hot lead inside the box - that way no long cord going to the cigarette lighter outlet - just a short little wire that is barely visible. The box is always illuminated when the ignition is engaged to the run or acc position. The illumination dims at night when headlight are turned on - however the box is difficult to see during the day due to reflections on the face - but you can see it - at night it just cool - easy to see. Get a kick out of observing the elevation changes when traveling - my wife does like the compass - she never learned that sun sets in the west thing. In all my travels around the south - Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, Kentucky, West Virginia, Ohio, Arkansas the highest elevation I have observed is 1670 ft - know you can go higher I just haven't done it yet. I'm from Montana - and taking the Trooper there soon to live forever. The mountains and passes will test that upper 9000 ft limit of the altimeter. Lot of things there will test this Troopers capability. Can't wait.