Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Trooper

Comments

• savvas_esavvas_e Member Posts: 347
    It's not a truly major event, but it has been increasing in signficance over the last couple of years. Most Australians would only be aware of V8 Supercar racing, F1, Indy and WRC.

The Safari is the largest event of it's type in Australia. However, most of the fun comes from the stories that come out of it and the characters that make the Safari. It really is magic!

In '98, there was a "Round Australia Rally" (Jackaroos won 1st & 2nd without factory backing), 3rd was a stock Datsun 180B that came in ahead of new Toyota Land Cruisers, Ford Explorers (nicknamed Ford Exploders in Australia due to consistent electrical problems), Mitsubishi Pajeros and Subaru Imprezas. Just goes to show that anything is possible.
  • notbrockyatesnotbrockyates Member Posts: 19
    About 150 miles since the problem mentioned earlier and no more symptoms. Must have been some glitch with replacing the battery. Other than that, so far so good with the '02.

Any feelings from the group about the Westin step bars and Safari light bar? Bolt on installation or would I need to go to an accessories shop to have them put on?

MH
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Depends on what duty you want them to serve. If it's cosmetic, then they should be fine, if it's for actual protection, especially the side steps, I'd look elsewhere.

-mike
  • boxtrooperboxtrooper Member Posts: 843
    My wife commented that my 1995 Trooper, which is still the first choice ride for my kids and me, was the oldest car (lots of $50K+ cars there) on the lot at a fancy eating place where we were celebrating a birthday. It was still the best car on the lot to me.

Parked next to me was a huge Ford Excursion that makes my Trooper look very tiny.
  • bsmart1bsmart1 Member Posts: 377
    us posted on the mpg results W/O the Marvel Mystery Oil. Ensure the driving conditions and methods are about the same. I'm VERY interested in hearing what comes out of it, for you. I'm doing some tinkering right now myself, looking for mpg improvements. I've used MMO in the past, but it's been many a year. I don't recall what results I got.
    Marvel Mystery Oil has been around a long time in the USA. Claims to provide 'top cylinder' lubrication for improved performance and economy. There are other claims made by this company about the benefits of MMO. Some might call it 'snake oil', harkening back to the 'old days' of snake oil salesmen that had a cure for everything.

Seriously though, I'm interested to hear how your mpg comes out when not using MMO.
  • peterismepeterisme Member Posts: 68
    99 Trooper died in the middle of traffic: Problem solved

I sent the truck to another dealer and they found the problem. They said my car had leaking gaskets, which are common in both Rodeo and Trooper. They said there was a design flaw in 99 and older Isuzu. They installed the newly design gaskets (sure, it’s under warranty), and now the truck runs smoothly. (The dealer is BillStill Isuzu in Downers Grove IL, the repair and parts guys are pretty good.)

Mike: Thanks for you help.
  • ostazostaz Member Posts: 80
    bsmart1, I will try (maybe next week) to run the entire week w/o Marvel Mystery Oil. My experience from other vehicles I owned (including a 96 Ford minivan) is that is makes a difference in terms of smoother idling, slight performance and gas mileage increase. But the biggest difference is in long term storage (I have several older cars),and winter starting.
    Coming up in the Pine Barrens of NJ. Check out http://isuzu-suvs.com/events/pb-09-21-02/index.html for details. It's a very tame/beginner trailride. All are welcome to come on down and join the fun and get your SUVs dirty!

-mike

• sdc2sdc2 Member Posts: 780
    Was it the intake manifold gaskets that were leaking?
    Can I come too? I'm getting really big amphibious tyres for the Monterey. :-)
    4500 lb. Monterey Australia to Pine Barrons by overnight air express? Better book that travel at least 3 weeks ahead.
    ...won't take anything bigger than 70kg.
  • wildbucwildbuc Member Posts: 88
    I have a 99 Trooper also but so far no gasket problems. What gaskets are you talking about? I want to have this done while the truck is under warranty.
    Some V6 engines experience failure of the inlet manifold gasket. It results in rough idling and sometimes stalling. I don't know if you can get anything done about it under warranty, without actually having the problem.

I have a 2000 and haven't experienced this problem yet with it.
    It's now 10pm on September 11 in Sydney. I know in NY that it's only 46 minutes to the 1 yr anniversary of the first strike on WTC.

I'm wishing all my friends in the US, a good day today and hope all goes well. Let's keep in mind those who passed away a year ago and that these events aren't repeated.
    I'm looking out my window at where the WTC used to be (I had a view of the top) So far the day is going relatively normal here in downtown, but I'm sure it will just be quiet all day.

-mike
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    I think the problem is limited to '99's and maybe 98's? I wouldn't worry about it, unless you start noticing a rough idle...the number one symptom is the idle bottoming out and then popping back up to normal repeatedly.
  • breakorbreakor Member Posts: 398
    From what I have read the fix is to install a new gasket material. The speculation is that the original gaskets tend to crack especially if subjected to very cold temperatures. I guess the cycling from frozen to engine temperature causes premature failure.

Presumably the power train warranty would extend the coverage to 5 years for the 1999 models, unless of course you go over the mileage limit.
  • djweberdjweber Member Posts: 18
    My turn signals and flashers stopped working. I checked the related fuses and they are fine. There used to be a cylinder shaped silver flasher module in vehicles that one would replace when the "blinkers" stopped working. I can't find any info about where this is located in the Trooper. There seem to be boxy black modules but I can't seem to find anything related to turn signals.

Related question...anyplace to get a do-it-yourself manual on the 1999 Trooper cheaper than the $150 version. I can't find one on Chilton's website.

I hate to go to a dealer for a problem like this!

Thanks
    Helm Inc. is the only manual maker for the Trooper. I think somebody on Ebay has some generic ones that they try to pass off as Trooper specific but aren't.

As for the turn signals, did you check the electrical boxes under the hood by the battery?
  • peterismepeterisme Member Posts: 68
    Yes, just as you guys described: rough idles, cold weather, stalled engine. Before I sent my Trooper to the dealer, it has rough idles. I didn't noticed it because I don't have another Trooper to compare :) But the mechanic at the dealership said as soon as he started the car, he found it and he was pretty sure it was a gasket problem since it happen a lot in Trooper and Rodeo. Since I live in Chicago, the old weather can be another reason of having leaking gaskets. I still remember the first time my Trooper died in the traffic. It was two years ago in terrible late afternoon snow storm, it took me FOUR hours to get home (usually it takes less than a hour.)
  • sdc2sdc2 Member Posts: 780
    Yeah, my i.m. gasket has gone out twice now, both times in January (I also have a 99).

Hopefully they have improved the gasket material, I have heard conflicting reports on whether this has been done or not.
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    I believe the dealer replaced the intake manifold gasket(s). Hopefully that makes sense - I don't really know what it means.

Just wanted to mention that, so folks know it's not a 1999-only problem.
  • mrfitz2umrfitz2u Member Posts: 3
    OK,
    I'm convinced the Trooper will last as long as the 165K I put on my 95 Infiniti. And I'm tired of looking up to everyone in traffic, and want something more substantial between me and all the other maniacs in Atlanta traffic. My father-in-law swears by the Trooper- and he's a "car guy". Question. Is $27,900 a good deal for a Limited? MSRP is 37+, but nobody actually pays MSRP, with incentives, holdback, the whole 9 to the dealer. Can you let me know if this sounds reasonable? I really appreciate feedback
  • keepontroopinkeepontroopin Member Posts: 297
    Ok hats off to the city of Pittsburgh! They managed to scare the crap out of everyone on my floor today. At about 9:15 the city had a military fly-by over the city and didn't tell anyone. I am on the 41st floor of our building and all of the sudden I could hear the sound of an airplane approaching which kept getting louder and louder and then zipped right past (all this happened in a matter 3-5 seconds) my window at about mach 3. Everyone on my floor in unison went "What the Hell was that?" You think they would have let those people in the taller buildings know about the low flying planes around their buildings before hand. For a minute there I thought I was going to have to run out to my Trooper and start pushing the subcompacts out of the way so I could get the heck out of town.

OK I am done venting.
    Wow - That's a "change of underwear" situation, for sure!
    pre- 911 I'd have been scared, after being through what i've been through here in NYC, nothing suprises me anymore :(

-mike
    Looks like we are gonna be having a decent size Off-road Camping trip Oct 18-21 in North Carolina (this time it IS happening) Should be lots of fun as usual. So far I think we have at least 1/2 dozen Troopers going!

-mike
    $9k off MSRP seems pretty decent. Is there another $1,000 on the table? I'm not sure. But that is a LOT of vehicle for $27,500. I assume your father-in-law has been beating you over the head with that notion. Look around at what other SUVs you get for that price. You can get quality, or size, or features. But you can't get all 3 at that price unless you go with the Trooper.

By the way, is that price for a 4WD or 2WD Limited?
  • tkevinblanctkevinblanc Member Posts: 356
    Reminds me of September 11 2001 when I went to pick my boy up from school. We live about 20 miles outside Washington.

He was a little un-nerved by all the hysterical parents picking their kids up from school. I was driving him to my daughter's school and he asked if any planes were going to crash in our town. I told him no, there were no airliners in the air anymore. Just then, as he's looking up through the sunroof (it was a beautiful day), an F-15 flying cover screams overhead at what I swear was tree-top level...

It took me a few minutes to convince him (okay, and myself) that they were the good guys.

He has no problems related to September 11. He does, however, have a model collection of every fighter and bomber made by Boeing or Lockheed Martin currently in service. They still occasionally fly cover when some numbnut from a local air park gets too close to the no-fly zone over Washington. He tells me if it's an F-15 or F-16, from the profile or the tail configuration.

And he still likes the sunroof in the Trooper. :0)
  • tle_portaltle_portal Member Posts: 8
    For a '02 Limited MSRP of around $37K, it must be a 4WD. I paid $29,500 last month, so I am kind of bummed that I left money on the table, but I definitely feel it's worth what I paid. I am really liking the handling and drivability, believe it or not, which was my main concern moving from a sedan.

Bottom line, I think $28K is a heck of a deal!
    In Response To: Easy Towing, All Conditions? (Tim, SF Bay, The Ashley Rose) http://www.macgregor26x.com then "Discussions"

If I had the pick the perfect tow vehicle I would pick the GMC or Chevy Duramax Diesel pickup with All Wheel Steering and a extra cab or crew cab even. This combination is not yet available. You can get it with an 8 cylinder 6L gas engine. The Hummer H2 would be good too if it had the Duramax. My wife would not let me get a big V8 pickup or SUV that gets only 9 city and 13 hwy MPG, the Duramax would get the MPG up high enough (my guess 15MPG towing the Mac26X, 16+ city 20+ hwy) to make her happy.

I am very pleased with my present tow vehicle (11.2 MPG towing Mac26X 16-17 city 18-20hwy MPG). An Isuzu Trooper-S 1995 with 130K miles and going strong. The engine is 6cyl 175hp, I added http://www.directhits.com to get better towing performance. The Trooper has a very tight suspension in the rear, look under one and you can see the leverage that the extremely long control arms have. I also added (only $65 each, installs in an hour) progressive rate rear coil springs made by OldManEmu down in Austrailia where the Trooper is a Jackaroo and it is known for heavy duty off road use. Other than that and OME shocks my Trooper is stock. I have had no sway problems even when oncoming trucks pass cloase by. The 1995 Trooper weighs around 4250 lb. dry. I think the very well controlled suspension makes my Trooper tow better than much heavier vehicles with sloppy suspensions. The engine and manual transmission are very sturdy units and are ready to tow as is, no extra coolers etc.. And 1995 Troopers are probably available for less than $9000. If you want neww, this is a bargain year for Isuzu Troopers 2002 is the last year the Trooper will be offered in the USA. The closeouts are great deals $7000 to $9000 below MSRP (be sure to get the 4wd model to make getting up the ramp really easy and to make owning a Trooper that much more fun.). The 2002 Troopers have much more power than my 1995 and they have grade logic transmissions which means they will automatically downshift to maintain speed down hill. Isuzu Trooper is the best value available for towing the Mac26X. Troopers are very big inside (90.2 cubic feet) and can handle a third row seat for three or fold the seats and put in the 18.5 cubic foot refridgerator and still be able to close the doors. On the outside the Trooper takes about the same parking space as a Toyota Camry, small enough and very peppy for fun driving on the commute or to bring the kids and their friends to events. Trooper seats are the firm suportive type that feel good for long drives and keep you in control when driving agressively, they are not deep cushy "luxery" "sofa on wheels" seats My kids and their friends ask to ride in the Trooper when there is more than one vehicle to ride in. Even Consumer Reports the magazine proven in court to have lied intentionally calling their the Trooper -rollover publicity stunt a fair test will tell you that the Trooper is way ahead of every other similar sized SUV in reliability. Expect well over 200K miles with few probelms, not even rattles as long as you do the maintenance.

Sorry to go on and on. The only thing wrong with the Trooper is that it is not American made (The factory in in Japan). But it is American to get the best quality for your money and that is the Trooper, expecailly this year.

• hemsley1hemsley1 Member Posts: 21
    I am thinking about buying a second vehicle and I found a 1994 Isuzu Trooper LS that I love. My only concern is that it has 125,000 miles, and I'm afraid it will not last much longer. I would appreciate some advice from anyone that has experience with a 94 with this many miles on it. Thank you in advance.
    Haaaa it's just been broken in. You should have about another 125K left on the ticker if properly maintained.

-mike
    It could have another 125k miles ahead of it, but you really need to find out how well the vehicle has been maintained so far.
    I appreciate the input...It seems like it's been taken care of, but how do you know how well it's been maintained. I don't really know how to maintain a vehicle myself, all I do is change the oil every 3000 miles. Should I ask the guy for service records, and if so, what should I be looking for. He's the second owner. I would appreciate any kind of feedback.
    In Raleigh,NC there is a Trooepr shop called http://www.creechimport.com/ which is the place I would recommend taking it. They know the Trooper real well (they started as just an Isuzu shop) and they know how well it is made and they know what can go wrong for lack of maintenance.

If the engine sounds smooth and idles smooth and there is good power on your test drive and the oil is clean and at the right level and no leaks the chances are you will have a good long life engine. Troopers do a good job cooling the engine which helps make it last.

Next time it is due for timing belt get the timing belt tensioner and water pump changed with it.
    Like noted above have a mechanic check it over. Make sure they do compression checks and check ALL fluids for level and condition. This should verify if it is presently in good operating condition.
    Also, review the maintenance records to make sure all the services have been done per the owners manual (e.g. frequent oil changes, gear oils replaced, AT fluid flushed, timing belt replaced, etc.). These records should give you your best clue as to whether the vehicle might stay in good condition.
    My opinion, FWIW, is that these vehicles can easily go 250k+mis. if properly maintained. However it they are ignored you can expect to see some major problems starting around 125kmis.
    Lastly, don't be fooled by clean fresh oil in an otherwise bad engine.
  • djweberdjweber Member Posts: 18
    Boxtrooper or anyone else...is something replacing Trooper in the U.S.? The Axiom intended as sole replacement?
    Sadly, Isuzu has given away the flagship position in its SUV lineup to a GM clone called Ascender. The Ascender is basically the same as the Chevy Trailblazer or GMC Envoy or the new one by Buick.
    There was a plan for the GBX, but I think there was also a shortage of cash to build it. Meanwhile GM was out of ideas on what to replace their ancient mid size SUV with. GM that own enough of Isuzu to control it, and they diverted the design efforts of Isuzu to design the Chevy Trailblazer platform. That might have been OK if it turned out to be more Isuzu than GM, but GM made them design it the GM way. I expect the Ascender to be far more reliable than the previous GM mid size SUVs, but it will suffer from extreme volume production. What I mean by that is that there will be a staff of people who's job it is to cut the cost of production and that forces the vehicle to ride the edge of quality vs cost. I think it is what has made a lot of the big three cars fail on quality from time to time. When they get it right they can have both low cost and high quality, but there is always the big pressure of big volume to save another penny.
    A$$ender is taking it's place in the lineup. Just another GM clone :( Nothing in the tradition of Isuzu engineering or reliability.

-mike
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I'll be offering a tutorial on the use of Edmund's spell checker this evening. All are invited to attend! :-)

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
  • tkevinblanctkevinblanc Member Posts: 356
    Tidester, do you have software that checks postings for the occurence of an impolite spelling of said vehicle? You always seem to be on it like white on rice...
    That's a no-no here!

-mike
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    paisan: Context matters! :-)

kevin: "Impolite spelling" such as in this case sets the wrong tone for newbies to the boards so we try to discourage it. First impressions also matter.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
    or CHURCH. Lighten up tidester.
    Hemsly I had a 1994 Trooper and I sold it when I had 165K miles on it. It was still running great. If you want to know more let me know.
    Yeah, I would like to know more. I am looking at 2 different 1994 Troopers. They both have 125,000 miles on them. However, one of them just had a new transmission put in it (that worries me, it seems like alot of Troopers transmissions go out). Would it be better to get the one with the new transmission, or is that a bad sign of things to come? I'm kinda clueless. Besides that, is the 3.2 engine enough power, I have not driven one yet, and tell me your overall thoughts of the vehicle. I really do appreciate any advice offered. Thanks
    Troopers being hard on trannys is news to me. I have read about people putting gear oil in the manual ones and that is a death sentence. As to the ATs, the non-dipstick designs tends to lead to neglect. Also, there is a cross member that makes filter changing a pain on some models. However, even with these issues, Tooper trannys seem to last just fine based on my reading.

As to your specific case, all things being equal I would go with the one with a new tranny. Unless of course the "new" tranny is just a used one with even more miles on it or you have reason to believe the work was done wrong.

As to power, it you are looking for a race car then the 3.2, or any Trooper, is not for you. If you are looking for a reasonably peppy SUV then the 3.2 fits that bill.

Do yourself a favor and go see these vehicles. Only you know what you like and armchair shopping can only tell you so much.
  • beer47beer47 Member Posts: 185
    I hear the Ascender will be the extended version of the Trailblazer and it will have the Isuzu 10/120 powertrain warranty. My question is, where will you take for repair? The GM dealer or the fast disappearing Isuzu network?