Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Trooper

Comments

• boxtrooperboxtrooper Member Posts: 843
    izooper, is that city driving all short distances? If the engine never warms up, like on trips less than 10 minutes, your MPG will suffer greatly on any gasoline powered vehicle. This is because the cold engine parts tend to condense the fuel out of the fuel-air mixture and the fuel mixes less thouroughly with the air in the first place causing less efficient fuel use. Also the cold engine and transmission and gears are harder to turn so more fuel required for that until its warmed up.

Someone I know has a 2 mile commute to work (I think in NY City that's about how far you walk after you park as close as possible to where you want to go). He has one of those computers that tells MPG while driving, he gets 7 MPG over those 2 miles on a cold engine. On the highway all warmed up the same car gets 32+ MPG.
    but it will be harmless.

This section described the "activation process"

http://www.cyberbizpark.com/FSt09_material.htm

It says the ceramic material "emmits electrons without outside energy source" and that "the material is stable". They need to select one or the other. If the lab results are true, then you need to get a far infrared source, not an inert piece of ceramic.

I think the lab results may be true under certain controlled conditions, however, you can't get something for nothing. The lab must have used an actual powered source of this ionizing radiation.

Electrons have mass, if they are always leaving the ceramic in high enough concentrations to make some difference in the fuel, the ceramics muct be loosing weight and therefore the material is actively decaying.

Maybe the inventor wanted to sell this thing but could not get insurance for providing an electric device that has gasoline in it to the public, then the marketing people got ahold of it and they will sell anything people will buy.

Still, I think it is worth its price which just happens to be free = zero dollars! But of course they want to charge $5 shipping. IF not satisfied send it back for a complete refund, except for the shipping charges!!!

• catmanducatmandu Member Posts: 53
    Thanks for the info on changing fluids. I will use the site you suggested for some more info before I begin.
  • savvas_esavvas_e Member Posts: 347
    You want snake oil? Read on!

In the '80s, a device was sold in Australia to enhance everything about a vehicle. Some plasma thing that was bolted to the firewall of a car with no other connections.

Apparently this device was supposed to correct the magnetic field of the vehicle and realign the molecular structure so as to enhance the performance and efficiency of the vehicle. The manufacturers of this device also claimed that as a result of everything being perfect, tyre pressures should be dropped to 20psi no matter what your car and handling will be unaffected will ride will be ultra soft.

I kid you not! This was on the market in Australia around '86/'87. I can't remember its name though, but I recall the word plasma was used a lot when referring to it.

It was a sales flop.
  • izooperizooper Member Posts: 5
    The dealer is Bay Ridge Nissan/Isuzu. Now it may be just called Bay Ridge Nissan.
    most of my trips are city driving all short distances anywhere from 10 mins to 30 mins.
    guess there is not much I can do to improve the mpg, Trooper is a heavy suv.
  • pugger1pugger1 Member Posts: 42
    I checked out the gas saver web page and was reminded of the product that was on the market about 22 years ago. It was a plastic container that had two magnets in it. It too was attached to the fuel line and was easy to install. Perhaps the same lab worked on both products. The magnets were to align the molecules and that resulted in a more complete combustion. I tried one and the car ran no better.

Products like this play on our desire to have something work like magic. We are all hopeful that there is a product out there that will "FIX" things and cost very little. Products that add have tons of seemingly "expert" testing and testimonials are usually just snake oil and should not be used. Unless of course a good friend buys one and it really does work. HA!
    Philip
    I came accross it easily and installed it since I was sure it could not hurt.

Well it has not hurt, or helped. All it does is attract the dipstick when I try to put it back in after checking the oil.
  • pugger1pugger1 Member Posts: 42
    Earlier on the post I wondered about fog light replacement. I have replaced several at $80 some and was tired of spending my money on them. The last time I replaced one the parts department guy suggested that I get some plastic coating like they use on the clear bras. The idea was to cushion the blow so to speak. I went to a paint supply house and it was suggested that I use a product called "Smashguard". It is a clear adhesive tape that is very thick. The cushioning idea is in play here. The box contained 1 piece of tape that was 4 x 8 inches and covered one fog light. Cost $7.50. Total cost $15.00. I now have fog light with covers on them. The lights have not been broken in the past several weeks, not a real test time yet but I am hopeful. I wish the company made the stuff in a large size that could be cut to fit headlights. Anyone that has seem a product that is headlight size please let me know. The concept seems good.
    Philip
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    That is the 3M material they use on the body and lights of sports cars. You can probably buy a roll, but they aren't cheap.

-mike
  • troop2shostroop2shos Member Posts: 235
    I've run fog, driving & quartz conversion "flame-thrower" headlamp replacements off & on since the late '60's (Lucas, Hella, Marschal, Cibie, etc.). FWIW & IMHO, the lenses that can take a licking are those found on the lead crystal Cibie lamps - unless they've changed. The Cibie's are not inexpensive unless you have a good friend in the parts business. Also, I found the Hella's to be very impact resistant as well...should you ever need replacement lamps.
    Agree with you troop2shos. Cibies have an excellent reputation for being tough.

I'll be replacing my spitfire driving lights with a pair of Cibie Super Oscars in the new year. Not cheap...but I can get a combo pair with harness, lock nuts and both clear and amber covers for the price of one Hella 4000. $300 in Oz.
  • bstone3bstone3 Member Posts: 97
    pugger1 - what is it you are doing that is killing your fog lights - 30K miles on mine and not one broken fog light yet - just curious.

Also, for info I just relocated my external air temp sensor from the high spot under the hood to just inside the lower air scoop on the front grill. Mounted that little sucker in about five different locations - and no matter where I put it the temp would rise when the Trooper stopped. Did a lot of testing - with the grill off or on and the hood open the temp would remain stable - at about any other location I chose except the factory location. With the hood closed and the grill back on the temp would rise - although ten times slower than where it was originally. The frustrating thing was that even where it is installed now - way below any heat source it still goes higher with the hood closed - so apparently there is some forward and down air flow when the hood is closed. I even used a charcoal grill lighter with the engine running to try an identify the best place to mount it - air flow into the engine. Had to cut the wires and splice in a 14" section to get it as low as it is - and it is a great improvement - but on my wifes 02 Camry - that I used as a guide for sensor placement, it flat don't move when her car is stopped.

Also - got a call from some lady in Denver wanting to buy my Trooper - apparently the market is drying up for available new and high quality used 4X4 Troopers.
  • troop2shostroop2shos Member Posts: 235
    The Super Oscars are well worth the $$$'s - excellent large lens & reflector! It sounds like you will be buying 2 driving & 2 fog lens patterns. I prefer the clear fogs over the amber for all around use on the wide beam spread & sharp vertical cut-off. For the driving lenses, are you considering the wider spot / driving pattern or the pencil beam for increased distance? Regardless, you will turn night into day, turn off street lamps at night, & will provide a good outside heat source during the cold winter months... :) You won't be disappointed - especially using the 100w bulbs.
  • flyinlowflyinlow Member Posts: 62
    Thanks for the advice on changing fluids, Breakor. However, I think you are misguided about one thing: draining when cold. The conventional advice, which makes sense to me, is that the fluids should be warm and drained ASAP after shutting off the engine so that particles are still suspended. That way they leave with the fluid as it's drained. If you allow the particles to fall out before draining, many of them are in areas away from the lowest point and will not drain out. You also won't get as much liquid out when it's cold and more viscous.
  • breakorbreakor Member Posts: 398
    Flyinlow I think you are mistaken about my technique and/or the proper way to drain oils.

For example with engine oil, I simply wait 2-4 hours for my fully heated engine to cool after coming home for the day before I pull the drain plug. Thus, contrary to your claim, my oil starts draining into the pan when fully heated. Granted, the ideal situation (at least from a solids draining standpoint) would be to pull the plug when the oil is scalding hot. However, I value my skin too much to do that. I also think my overkill 3k change interval and flushing through a few ounces of fresh oil minimizes particulate retention/damage.

If you are proposing to partially warm a cold engine, I think that is the worst possible technique. You would be re-distributing the oil and already settled solids back to the top of the engine. You would have to wait for them to drain back to the pan and as you noted that doesn't happen as effectively when the oil is not hot. In fact, you would be better off just pulling the plug on a cold engine rather than doing this.

This is just my opinion, YMMV.
  • ostazostaz Member Posts: 80
    I have an opportunity to trade my 99 S for a 2000 LS. My 99 has 39k, and in perfect condition in and out. The 2000 has 46k and appears to be perfect.

Question; I can sell my 99 S (I have a buyer) and buy the 2000 LS for an additional $1200. Is it worth it? I have done a lot of work on my 99 (rust proofing, fluid change, new tires), and the truck has been ultra reliable, and has less miles. But the thought of an LS...

Any thoughts?
  • cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    A bird in the hand......it looks like you take very good care of your vehicle and I would not take a chance on the 2000. Isuzu service may be harder to come by in the future so I would stay with the vehicle that I have confidence in and has given me good service.
  • wildbucwildbuc Member Posts: 88
    A proven 99 Trooper is probably a safer choice but if you want the upgrades of the LS model it may warrant $1200. more. My 99 performance Trooper has tinted windows, armrests, sunroof--features which I certainly enjoy. Some determination of oil consumption might be the deciding factor. Also, check out the warranty time period.
    I second the bird in the hand approach. Then again I don't think my 99 is lacking anything.

Also, don't forget the "hidden" costs of a 2000LS vs. 1999S. For example, the collision and comp insurance will be more on a newer, more plush model. The license plate fees will be more and depending on where you live they might be quite a bit more. You might also lose any remaining license fees on the 1999. In addition, depending on your state you might have to pay a sales tax for the purchase. These one-time and continuing costs could add up to some major money. Enough in fact to pay for some significant revisions to your lower mileage 1999.

Good luck either way.
  • cwmosercwmoser Member Posts: 227
    I would suggest that if you do trade to make sure that the owner of the 2000LS took good care of it the first 46k miles.

I have a 1999 Luxury model. I like the moon roof, the leather seats and wood trim, and power and heated seats. I don't think that the 'multimeter' is worth trading for, nor do I think the fog lamps are of much value.
    The set I'm getting includes 1 x long range spot and 1 x broad beam driving light. They also throw in 2 clear protective covers and 2 amber covers. I'll leave the clear ones on for day to day. The ambers are only good for fog which I don't see too much of after dark anyway. Apparently there are blue covers available for snow use too, but I have never actually been driving in the snow at night.
  • ostazostaz Member Posts: 80
    Given your input, I am going to see if the dealer will allow me to take the 2000 to my mechanic for a complete checkup. I will also get under the truck and check it out.

The are several things that I need to add to my 99 that will cost a few bucks (fog lights, running boards, roof rack) the 2000 had all that, plus another 8 months of warranty.

So, is everything checks out, I'll probably do it, otherwise, I am perfectly happy with my 99.

BTW, breakor has a good point on the tax and lic. It may add up to another 2k.
  • 96_i30_5sp96_i30_5sp Member Posts: 127
    I personally wouldn't do it since the minor changes of the 2000 are offset by unknown maintenance history and higher mileage. You can always add fog lights and running boards to your Trooper but you can't roll back miles and skipped maintenance. Good luck!
  • krystalgkrystalg Member Posts: 15
    I live in the Washington DC area and the Ascenders have arrived. I have an 02 Trooper Limited and went to the dealership to check out the Ascender. The saleman said that it will save Isuzu because the Trooper has been around for many years and a change is needed to keep up in the automotive industry. I told him that she sould start looking for another job if they are relying on the Ascender to save ISUZU...simply because its not an Isuzu its a GM ENVOY...My husband has an ENVOY and they are identical, the only edge that ISUZU has on GM is that they are giving you the 3rd row seat standard (which seems more like mini van then an SUV to me)...a better warrenty,75k for 6yrs appose to a true Isuzu 120k for 10yrs....and a few more things for pennies under the price of a GM.

I love my Trooper and hate to see Isuzu make this mistake, I dont believe its going to be a big seller because its very long with the 3rd row seat...and its simply a GM and not a ISUZU....

I realized now that my 02 Trooper is now a collectors item...hold on to your Troopers everyone and lets watch how they outlast the new Ascender.
  • jrr2kjrr2k Member Posts: 35
    Thanks for the article sawas_e.

That was interesting reading...
    Isuzu forcasting 2.6 billion dollar loss for FY 2003 despite predicting 47 million profit. Ouch!
    No wonder GM is trying to cut ties. GM will have enough troubles of its own by years end.
    I find it funny that Isuzu (and now Holden) executives see the Trooper model as a weak link in the chain. It may be. So how do they fix it? With the ascender!?!
    I agree with ya Krystal, I hate to see the Trooper go. I'm glad to get my '02 with 10 years of powertrain warranty (cross fingers).
    As for the Ascender being the saving grace for Isuzu...not likely but stranger things have happened. I'd put my marketing dollars on the Rodeo twins and the Axiom though. Every Axiom owner I talked with loves the vehicle AND would not even consider buying a typical bulky SUV. My guess is there are more consumers with this mindset. Isuzu's one strategic advantage: they have a 4x4 "station wagon" and the market is nowhere near as flooded with competion as the SUV market. Will Subaru continue to dominate this market segment?
    Going on what's currently available, my next vehicle will be the new generation Toyota Prado.

It's the closest thing to what a Trooper/Jackaroo could have been in the future.

At least Holden is stocking up enough to carry it through 2003 and maybe into 2004. They only need about 4000 units to last them a year.

PS...Be aware that when Australians are talking about Rodeo, they're referring to the Isuzu pickup. The US Isuzu Rodeo is the Australian Holden Frontera, which also comes from the SIA plant in Indiana.
  • cptsessocptsesso Member Posts: 116
    You are right jrr2k, I just purchased an Axiom last month and it is really a fantastic vehicle. If Isuzu's new marketing team can figure out how to market it right, I think it would have a lot of sales potential. For it's size, price and features, you can't find a better SUV/Crossover vehicle.
    Does anyone know how to remove the wheel fender flairs? Someone scraped the right rear flair down to the black plastic and I was thinking of replacing it but the flair seems to be held by rivets that don't pop off with a screwdriver. Also, do the flairs come prepainted?
    The flairs on Australian models are rivetted on. So I assume the same for US.

You will need to drill the rivets out carefully, trying not to enlarge the hole in the guard. Just drill enough to remove the head of the rivet rather than going right through. It should all just fall apart then.

When you instal the new flare, either use new rivets if you have a rivetting tool, or suitably sized self tapping screws.

Personally, I'd go back to new pop rivets. They won't work themselves loose.

If the flairs aren't prepainted, a panel shop may spray them for you and you may save some $$$'s by refitting them yourself. Make sure though that you get a clear over base coat finish on them.
  • jesse20jesse20 Member Posts: 2
    Maybe we all can write Isuzu. We can tell them How wrong it is to stop making the Trooper. I got this Idea from watching a Car Show on TV. They were going to stop making the Ford Mustang.
    Ford recieve So many letters explaining why they should not stop making the Mustang. It worked. So it just an Idea:) Jesse
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    They don't have the $ to redesign the Trooper and it does not meet 2004 safety standards due to it not having enough crumple zones. :( I personally like the idea of my crumple zone being the OTHER car!

-mike
  • cwmosercwmoser Member Posts: 227
    What do you guys think about the longetivity of the last of the Trooper designs. I know of examples of the old prior style Trooper (1984-1991) that have over 200,000 miles on them. I plan on keeping my 1999 and it currently has 45,000 miles after 3 years. At this rate, it should be serviceable for another 10 years and still be under 200,000 miles. Course, by then I will be living on Social Security and so old and set in my ways that I'll never give up my old beat up well worn but still running Trooper:-)
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    haven't heard of any 200k+ stories on the newer (1992+) Troopers, but they sure do seem to be holding up well based on what people around here say. I fully expect our '98 to make it to 200k miles without any significant mechanical issues. Expected reliability and longevity were primary factors in our decision to buy a used '96 a few years back, and to replace the '96 with a '98 when it was totaled. We're at 73k right now and things are going quite well.
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    The rate of oil consumption with our 1998 Trooper seems to be increasing. It has 73k miles and has been well-maintained. For quite a while, it used a quart every 2000-2500 miles. However, in the past 10k miles or so, that figure seems to have increased to a quart consumed approximately every 1500 miles.

After the most recent change (5.0 qts added), I added another 1/4 qt after 150 miles. After another several hundred miles, I added another 1/2 qt. 800 miles later, I added another 3/4 qt (last night).

Any ideas on the cause? Switching brands of oil? Switching from synthetic to conventional (about 20k miles ago)? Simple aging?

I don't mind the minor extra cost of adding oil and I don't mind checking and topping off regularly, but the fact that the consumption rate is increasing does concern me.
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    I hope to keep my 1999 for a long time. It has not been problem free, but all fixable. Since it is paid off and by the time I would sell it, probably not worth a lot, I am going to keep it until it gets hauled away for scrap, at least that is the plan. I just hope that isn't going to be for a while.
  • sdc2sdc2 Member Posts: 780
    This month was my LAST PAYMENT on my 99 Trooper! Woo-Hoo! Now I'll have an extra $470.50 a month to play with. Of course, the first months payment just went to my new Calmini rear bumper...oh well :-)
  • tkevinblanctkevinblanc Member Posts: 356
    That would bother me, too. Other than oil control rings, what would could affect oil usage?
    I have personally put 330K+ combined on a 1984 1.9L and my 1995 3.2L. Never been stranded, except out of gas back in penny pinching college years.

I have had to replace all filters inlcluding fuel filter frozen on 1984 but I carry a spare in winter so I was not stranded. I replaced the belts on the 1984 at 140K whether they needed it or not. The power steering idler pulley in the 1984 went bad, but I could still steer, and it was an easy thing to replace. At 201K when I sold the 1984 it was running great. I have only had the lifter ticking problem with my 1995 Trooper, and I keep it under control(silent) with on time oil changes. The 1995 has 130K+ miles and is just finished breaking in. I expect to keep the 1995 a very long time, maybe I'll make it to 500K!
    I would trade it for a 3.L diesel Trooper any day.
    The 2004/2005 Chevy Tahoe GMC Yukon are supposed to eventually come with a 6 cyl diesel Duramax (390ft-lbs torque) and that with great MPG. That would be tempting since I can get the GM employee discount. Maybe the Yukon to replace my wife's minivan and I'll keep the Trooper.
  • pinoy99pinoy99 Member Posts: 79
    Time to replace 'em soon since it's at least 15k past the recomended maintenance interval. I guess the procedure is: Unbolt the coil packs, use 3/8" wobble locking extension(s) with socket to extract/replace plug(properly gapped with anti-seized lubricant). Any other tips? TIA
    I was behind a 92-93 Trooper at a gas station last month. The driver asked me what year mine was and then told me that his truck had 250k+ and still running great. I'd be happy to reach 200k. :)
    My suggestions are to only use the plugs noted in the owners manual (i.e. don't use Bosch Plus4s). Depending on where you live, the only readily available plugs may be Champions. FWIW that is what mine came with and what I used for the replacement.

I think both the plugs mentioned in the manual come prelubed with an anti-sieze coating. Therefore go easy with any additional compound.

I also put some dielectric compound on the top of the plug.
    What is the OEM oil filter bypass pressure specification? And how did you find this information?

The reason I ask is that the spec Purolator filter is 12-15psi, the spec WIX is 8-11psi, and the Champion spec is 11-17psi. I called Filtech, the company who makes the filter for Isuzu, and they wouldn't give me the time of day.
  • raydahsraydahs Member Posts: 449
    Never pull the plugs from aluminum heads while it's warm, you'll pull the threads with it. Use a piece of vacuum line or gas line cut it to @12" long, slide it over the tip and feed it into the hole, once it's down on the thread, turn until it stops. this will give you more feel while starting it into the hole, avoiding cross-threading, then tighten with the wrench:)
  • jrr2kjrr2k Member Posts: 35
    Nice results cknott...
    The 02 trooperchabra needs its first oil change. I hope to start a long and healthy maintanance history. Any comments or suggestions on oil brands, weights? Filter brands, #s?
    I drive 95% on road (communting), drive in the mountains on road trips, and put 20000 miles a year on my vehicles. I live in the Pacific NW (mild winters, mild summers). If that is a factor. Your comments are welcome.

Interesting results on the oil cooler. They seem like an inexpensive part and a worthwhile modification. What cooler did you buy? Where did you mount it? How easy was it to install?
  • cknottcknott Member Posts: 61
    Breakor,

Perhaps I should clarify. I do not have the book or specs in front of me to reference. I chose the filter using the following method. I initially looked up the standard filter by looking up the filter call out for a 1999 Isuzu Trooper using the Purolator reference book. I then went to the back of the book to evaluate the specifications for that particular oil filter. I needed to maintain the M20x1.5 oil filter threads and the antidrain back valve. I chose to keep the pressure relief settings the same as the standard filter. By looking at the back of the reference book, I then pulled every filter off the shelf that had M20x1.5 threads, an antidrain back valve, and the same pressure relief settings. I then pulled each oil filter out of the box and looked at it. The PL14619 oil filter was the largest oil filter I could find that would have a seal small enough to fit comfortably on the stock flange. I have not investigated other brands nor did I know that there was pressure relief variation from one filter manufacturer to the next for the same filter application. Based on the specs you provided, I don't believe the variation from one manufacturer to the next is significant, IMHO.

Breakor, why did you ask Filtech for the time of day? why didn't you just ask them for the pressure relief specs?....just playing

I purchased a Derale engine oil cooler, P/N 15502. You can see them at www.derale.com. Summit car racing had the best price by far. DO NOT use the filters recommended on their(Derale) instruction sheet, they will leak! This was one of the reasons I investigated a larger oil filter. However, I have been happy with the cooler. I mounted it and an external transmission cooler in the air flow area below the front bumper between the fog lights. I made some brackets and used zip ties to hold it in place.

Chad
    http://www.pureoil.com/

This is the Purolator oil filter web page. There are three ways to cross reference: 1.) find your vehicle, 2.) cross reference, 3.) find vehicles that fit a Purolator part number. Unfortunately the physical properties section in the big book in the autoparts store that contains the thread sizes and relief settings, find online, I did not.

What is the diameter of PL14619 filter? BTW the PL14619 fits AMC, Dodge Jeep, Pugeot, Renault.
  • sdc2sdc2 Member Posts: 780
    The Trooper is possibly the easiest engine to change plugs on that I have ever encountered.

You will need to unplug the connector for the wires to the coil pack. The coil pack is integral with the 6" or so of plug "wire" underneath.

All you need for 5 out of 6 plugs is a standard long extension with the plug socket and wrench.

The drivers side rear plug is a little more tricky due to the proximity of the master cylinder. I was able to get it out by feeding in two short extensions, one at a time, plus a u-joint extension and a long extension to get clearance for the wrench to swing.

I recommend a torque wrench for final tightening. You definitely do not want to overtighten plugs in an aluminum block.
    Cknott thanks for the extra info.

If anybody else is interested in going with a larger filter in the stock location, I have found 2 other filters that look like they should work. The Purolator 24458 with a bypass pressure setting of 8-10psi (vs. 12-15psi for the stock 14459 filter). Several people have reported using this one. Or, the WIX 51344 which has the same pressure relief setting (8-11psi) as the stock 51334. WARNING: I am still going through my stash of Filtech filters so I have not tried either of these filters. Therefore before using either of these larger filters do your own checking to make sure they will indeed work.
    http://www.pureoil.com/

This is the Purolator oil filter web page. There are three ways to cross reference: 1.) find your vehicle, 2.) cross reference, 3.) find vehicles that fit a Purolator part number. Unfortunately the physical properties section in the big book in the autoparts store that contains the thread sizes and relief settings, find online, I did not.

What is the diameter of PL14619 filter? BTW the PL14619 fits AMC, Dodge Jeep, Pugeot, Renault.