Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Trooper

Comments

• cobbocobbo Member Posts: 34
    I don't know how ya'll do it...I only get 14.1 mpg and don't go more than 5 above the limit, so I've got a high end of 70 - 75 depending upon where I'm at...
    Hope ya'll had a happy turkey day...*wave*
    -Cobbo
  • sdc2sdc2 Member Posts: 780
    I pretty consistently get about 15 mpg around town, a little higher on the highway - not much higher though, if I push 80 I probably stay around 15 mpg. Highest I ever measured was about 18.

I just remembered these numbers are uncompensated for tire size, which would add 7% to the mpg, but they are rough numbers anyway. I don't get out the calculator or anything when I fill up...
  • ostazostaz Member Posts: 80
    City: 15.4
    Hwy:55-75 MPH range: 18.7 (2x300+ mile trips)

My truck is a 99, tire pressure 35 font and back (standard 245s), TOD Auto OFF (although I just put it on for winter).

Oil consumption after 3000 miles: < 1 pint
  • bawbcatbawbcat Member Posts: 118
    Just measured 17.1 MPG on my 98 Troop with 50k. Most of the distance covered was flat highway driving at 70-75mph. Vehicle had 2.5 people and a fair bit of luggage. Tires were at 33psi all around. My tires are 255 instead of the stock 245, so actual MPG is a few tenths higher. I've used a GPS to measure my speedo, and it showed about 1.5mph slow at 70mph. This agrees pretty closely with the calculated value of 1.9% error as shown on the miata tire calc site (http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html). Taking this into account, my "corrected" MPG was more like 17.4.
  • notbrockyatesnotbrockyates Member Posts: 19
    It occurs to me that educated, professional engineers design a specific filter for a specific purpose and they probably had a pretty good idea of what was the proper filter area and pressure/flow requirements when the engine was designed. Unless they worked for the government, of course. But all this chatter makes me think that maybe you all know something they don't. Am I remiss in "only" using a PL14459 replacement on my 2WD commuter version? Or can I "assume" that this higher end stock spec replacement is going to serve just fine with frequent oil/filter changes.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    If you push your vehicle like some of us, then you want to go above and beyond the "recommended" items. For std. use my guess is that the std one will work fine.

-mike
  • bsmart1bsmart1 Member Posts: 377
    Is there a feature on the Trooper that automatically locks the doors after you exit the vehicle, even if you don't hit the remote lock button? My wife swears the Trooper is locking itself after she gets out, without her requesting it! She left her keys in it the other day along with the remote and it locked her out. Truth or forgetful???
    Lately I've been noticing a 'thump' or 'clunk' as the Limit Slip Diff. disengages. Anyone else had this phenom. happen to them? Should there be a noticable sound as the LSD disengages to 'coast'? Maybe I need to take a look at the diff. oil level?
    How do you know the LSD is engaged?

-mike
    Not factory installed.

-mike
  • boxtrooperboxtrooper Member Posts: 843
    The designers probably were told to use the standard filter that always has been used. Without the requirement to use the standard filter (PL14559 is the standard Honda fitler too), more options are available.
    The standard filter will work great, I have changed to the higher capacity PL24458 because my 1995 SOHC Trooper can get the lifter tick noise and I am trying to find all the inexpensive ways to prevent the noise from coming back. The replacement of all the lifter ticking parts in both heads would be around $3000!!!! I want my Trooper to last 200K to 300K without that expensive repair.
  • serranoserrano Member Posts: 107
    The LSD is always engaged. It is not a locking differential. It just has a series of clutch plates preloaded to permit slippage in turns but also permitting a certain amount of torque to be applied to the wheels. To my knowledge, there should be no clunks or thumps because there is nothing "engaging." If there is chattering, it's because the clutch plates are not slipping smoothly. That's why an additive is required. It conditions the clutch plates to slip smoothly with no stiction.

Tom
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    The truck will lock itself if no doors are opened after 10 (or so) seconds after unlocked via remote.
    That it will do.

-mike
    There is something going on back there. I'm familiar with the chatter issues on the LSD. I've gone thru that with my 97' before. This is totally different. If you listen closely with no radio playing, you too might notice what sounds like a dis-engagement taking place in the driveline. I'm not sure just where, but it sounds like it's coming from the rear end area. Funny thing is I don't notice it ever engaging. There is no sound or feel of anything happening as I move forward out of a 'coast' condition. Hard to explain, but there is also somewhat of a HUMMMMM as it dis-engages.
  • rocco119rocco119 Member Posts: 3
    Greetings All,
    I just took delivery of a new Trooper S. This is my third Trooper(if you count the Acura SLX I bought in 96). I traded in a 97 Trooper S with 90k miles on it. I'm glad to have the TOD! Anyway, because I had my heart set on Moonmist Gray, I had only one car to choose from and it does not have a CD player. Does anyone have thoughts on where I can get one? I don't want to completely trash the existing radio because it has a cassette player that I need. So I'd really like to just add a CD player in the slot under the current radio (I want a player and not a changer). I'll be checking crutchfield.com as soon as I complete this post. The dealer said it would be $400 to add the Isuzu player and he suggested I go aftermarket.

Also, since my Trooper was so inexpensive, I want to add some "cool" stuff to it. Namely brush bars, lights etc. Do you have any ideas where I can find this stuff at reasonable prices?

FYI here are the numbers on my deal 2002 Trooper S, with TOD and Isuzu-issue bug shield (I think those are the only two options).

Selling price: $22,000
    Traded in 97 Trooper (blue - my kids call it purple but it's BLUE!) with 90k miles, cracked windshield, large dent running the length of the front left fender, another good sized dent on the rear door, and almost bald tires. Got $9,000 for the trade in.

Although I think the selling price might be a little high, I was really pleased with the $9k for my trade in so that makes up for it.

I live in Colorado.

Thanks for your thoughts!

PS...as if I haven't written enough already...BUT...are there any Trooper Clubs in Colorado (Denver area) I can hang out with?
  • cracoviancracovian Member Posts: 337
    I just saw these statistics on Yahoo! It looks like they only sold 502 Troopers that month:

http://biz.yahoo.com/rf/021203/autos_isuzu_table_1.html

I still see a bunch of them sitting around at a few remaining dealerships in the Atlanta area.

• tr0sstr0ss Member Posts: 14
    My '99 troop with 49K has been doing this for a while ... When I start it in the mornings, it cranks for a while then will eventually start, but kills almost immediately. The next time I start is fine. The other day, I was idling (after having driven for a while) and it just killed on me.

Now, I replaced the battery not too long ago. Can anyone guess what this might be? Could it be spark plugs?

Thanks
    Could it be the u-joint bolts are loose?

-mike
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    I had similar issues recently. I replaced my battery and it stopped.

I think there are a few things you can look at...Fuel regulator...someone else just had this replaced with similar symptoms. Intake manifold gasket...this is known to go on some 99's (I guess due to bad glue used during installation?)...Exhaust issues? My catalytic converter just went, it has caused some rough running here and there.
    I'm ditching my 6-cd changer for the nice JVC MP3 Player I put in the SVX. I love having 200+ songs on one CD :)

-mike
  • pugger1pugger1 Member Posts: 42
    Congrats on the new Trooper! Which dealer do you use? I worked my best deal with the guys on 104th street. Deal was great but I am not at all impressed with the service department. I summer in Colorado, and I am really hopeful that I do not need any service this coming summer. I am interested in your take on service in the Denver area. Enjoy

Philip
    Philip,
    I bought my Trooper at Denver Isuzu on 104th as well. Pretty painless. I had my 4 year old daughter with me when I went by there at lunch time. She was getting antsy so I had to leave. They let me take the car home for the day. Later in the afternoon, I called and did all the negotiating over the phone. Then went back around 8pm to sign papers etc. I took my 97 Trooper there once for service and was completely unimpressed. But that is the only option close by to me as I live in Arvada. Jerry Roth Isuzu on Colfax sold out to Osborne (not Ozzie!) and they're dumping Isuzu (they have only one on the lot). The next closest dealer is Courtesy Isuzu near Highlands Ranch. Mostly I had my 97 serviced at a smaller local shop in Broomfield who I trust. They do a good job. Let's face it tho, oil changes and tire rotations are about all these trucks need!
  • ccallanaccallana Member Posts: 3
    I have the same issue in my '99 Trooper S. When coming to a stop at a light, or shifting from drive down to park once I'm in my garage, a very noticable clunk happens. Guess I'll check some U-joints....
    Drop me an e-mail Have some good info on guys in denver with isuzus.

-mike
    When it killed, did it sputter and die, or just act like a switch was turned off?

I wouldn't suspect the spark plugs at all, although some other part of the ignition system could be involved. Maybe even something like a bad ignition switch.
    Rocco119,
    Sounds like you dealt with the same group that I dealt with. They really wanted to move those vehicles. I have had great success with my Trooper and hope to live with it for a long time. My wife has the idea that we should actually pay for a vehicle before we sell it. This is the first time that I really enjoy driving my car. I liked driving her 97 Seville more than my GMC, so we will see if this is a vehicle that is a keeper. Usually things go wrong with a car and I get the new car fever. I think the "hunt" is half the fun. The bad thing is the lose that you take on most trades. This time I came out on top and I feel that I got a great vehicle in the deal.

A question for all of you out there, what do you call your Trooper when you refer to it? I do not like SUV, Trooper seems odd, Isuzu is really odd, I not comfortable with truck, so what do you all call it????
    or Da Troopa.

:)

-mike
    That's a funny question because I just went over this with my 4 year old daughter. My 97 Trooper was Blue but it looked very purple. So she started calling it Barney (after the dinosaur). She became very attached to Barney and when I turned Barney in last night, she cried for over an hour. So I had to help her think of a name for the new one. She came up with Moonie--once again because of the color (moon mist gray).

As for me, I just call it a truck.
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    My wife seems to like this nickname too. Ours is a 98 Trooper with TOD. It's Red Rock Mica monotone exterior.
    I had a similar problem and it turned out to be the fuel pressure regulator.
  • 96_i30_5sp96_i30_5sp Member Posts: 127
    I was at the local Isuzu dealer and saw a sign that they are having a Christmas blowout sale on all Isuzu (and Kia) accessories. Most parts were 40% off and the lowest discount was 30%. I spoke with the part manager and he said he would do internet deals for the same price. For example, Isuzu bug shield was $57 and a single CD player was $155. Is it appropriate to post the contact info here? I am in no way associated with that dealer nor would I benefit from any purchases.
    I don't recall whether Edmunds considers this inappropriate. It would boil down to whether they consider it 'soliciting'. To me, one owner sharing info with other owners about a source for good prices on accessories is not soliciting.

Our other vehicle is a Kia Sedona, and I've been considering a bug shield for the van.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Go ahead and post a link to the site but don't provide any specific names of salepersons.

Bluedevils: To me, one owner sharing info with other owners about a source for good prices on accessories is not soliciting.

Sometimes it is obvious that the intent is to shill and sometimes it is less obvious. We're not in business to promote other business! :-)

tidester, host
    I consider myself to be fairly well-educated, but I hadn't heard the term 'shill' until recently here on Edmunds Town Hall. Edmunds does not accept soliciting/promotion/etc. But according to dictionary.com, 'shill' carries an additional negative connotation - not only 'posing as a satisfied customer' but doing so for the purpose of 'duping bystanders into participating in a swindle.'

tidester, you said Edmunds isn't in business to promote other business. Understood. Do you consider a Town Haller mentioning a store/web site/etc. he heard of as a good source for accessories to be okay? I do. It's consumers helping other consumers, not consumers promoting businesses for the sake of promotion. Not trying to be argumentative here, just trying to understand the Edmunds viewpoint.
    We have no problem whatever with members telling other members about other sites, deals etc. Afterall, that's one of the reasons we all get together and discuss our automotive interests. We do have a problem with promoting other sites, however, and I think most members appreciate that.

As I said, it's usually obvious which is which but occasionally the line is blurred. I am aware this can sometimes create confusion on the part of members but we try our best to keep everything in proper perspective!

P.S. I hadn't seen the "extended" definition of shill either until I came here!

tidester, host
    Seems like the moderators over here @ Edmunds have been a bit excessive lately, no? Technically we can't discuss any vehicles afterall we are "promoting" them aren't we? It's a shame that some mods are far more agressive in the name of the letter of the law v. spirit of it.

-mike
    So what is the name of the dealer with the good deals? Will they ship? Can I get it by Christmas? Those questions come from my wife who has a few items in mind. Thanks for the info.
    Philip
    The best online dealer IIRC is St. Charles Isuzu, link on http://isuzu-suvs.com (not sure if that was the dealer who they were speaking of)

-mike

It acted more like a switch turned it off ... no sputtering. It really seems like it's just not getting enough fuel or the fuel mixture isn't quite right.
    Ostaz, Is the fuel pressure regulator a difficult/expensive thing to fix? Someone else on the board also said it could be Intake manifold gasket. I noticed there is a TSB report on the Intake manifold gasket.

How do TSB's work? Will the dealer fix these at no charge?

Thanks
    Generally speaking, if a vehicle abruptly cuts off like a switch was turned off, I look to electrical or ignition systems for problems. If it is sputtering a little, or you can tell it's not running right before dying, then I look to the fuel delivery system for problems.

Having said that, after reviewing your symptoms the fuel pressure regulator certainly could be suspect, although with that problem usually it won't die once you get it running, because the fuel pump can maintain pressure while running.

You still should be under powertrain warranty, so maybe you should take it to a dealer for diagnosis. Unfortunately, the FPR is not covered under the powertrain warranty.
    Replacing the fuel pressure regulator cost me about $265. The Gasket is another possibility. My truck would start with difficulty (after a few seconds of repeated cranking, and then start, only to die immediately after.

The dealer can tell in minutes. If the truck in not under warranty, you may want to take it an inedpendant, cost a lot less $$$.

Good luck
  • serranoserrano Member Posts: 107
    You can do a quick test yourself. Once you get the engine running, spray a little starting fluid around the base of the manifold. If the engine speeds up, there is an air leak.

Tom
    Seems like the moderators over here @ Edmunds have been a bit excessive lately, no?

Good grief! Someone asked a question and I replied - that's excessive? Gimme a break!

tidester, host
  • peterismepeterisme Member Posts: 68
    It can be Gasket problem. My 99 Trooper stalled in the traffic a few times and also had difficulty start sometimes. After the dealer replaced the gasket, the problems gone.
  • 96_i30_5sp96_i30_5sp Member Posts: 127
    As I stated earlier, there is a Christmas blowout sale on all Isuzu and Kia accessories at McKinzey-Bond Isuzu/Kia in Houston, Tx. There is no info for the sale on their website but here is the contact info: http://www.mckinzeybond.com/parts.html The prices seem to be at least 30% off and Mike (the part manager) said that he'll give free shipping on orders over $50. I'll post the same info on other Isuzu and Kia-related threads. Again, I'm not related to the dealership, just passing what I feel is a good deal.
  • savvas_esavvas_e Member Posts: 347
    Haven't been about for a bit, so I'm catching up.

Bsmart1...Do you get a mild thump under heavy braking, and then again when you release the brakes and take off? Mine does that sometimes and the dealer has tightened evrything there is to tighten but has been unable to track it down. My friends new 2002 also does it.

Names ... Well mine is a Foxfire Red 2000 Jackaroo Monterey, so my wife named it "Foxy Monty". My friends new Ebony Black 2002 Jackaroo Equipe has licence plates of MUD50K, or "MUD'S OK". "MUD" for short.
    Thanks for the clarification re: what Edmunds considers okay and what it doesn't. As you explained it, the stance seems reasonable to me.
  • boxtrooperboxtrooper Member Posts: 843
    I am considering changing tires a little bit early to be better prepared for a trip up into the wintery North.

I like the description of the

http://www.bridgestonetire.com/dpp/glamourindex2.asp?passProductID=1055

It comes in many sizes. I am wondering about going with the P265/70/16 which has 13/32 of tread depth or the LT265/75/16 load range C which has 16/32 of tread depth. The 70 tire has 44 psi and a hundred less pounds of load rating. The LT75 tire is larger in diameter and turns only 655 times in a mile, compared to the original Trooper tires 245/70 that turn 705 times a mile. This would screw up my speedo by more than 5mph at 70mph, or 7.6%.

This Revo AT tire is rated as far quieter than most AT tires, will it be a lot louder than my M&S tires?

I do not have the plastic fender flares, I do like my mpg to be high, what should I do? 70 series or LT75?

Thank you.