Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Trooper

Comments

• paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    With the higher profile tires your milage will go up, but then it will be balanced out due to the extra weight/friction of the AT tires.

AT will be louder than M&S tires.

Handling with more sidewall will be reduced as well.

-mike
  • bawbcatbawbcat Member Posts: 118
    The factory in-dash 6-disk CD changer in my 98 Troop skips very easily, even from relatively small bumps on typical paved streets. Is this typical? If so, the person who decided to put that changer into a 4x4 was a moron. I haven't driven much on dirt yet, but I imagine that the changer would be pretty much unusable in that environment.
  • cwmosercwmoser Member Posts: 227
    What specs in a tire should one look for if one is more interested in on-road handling - not off-road?

Does sidewall stiffness have a relationship to handling?
  • bolearczykbolearczyk Member Posts: 2
    i'm looking to get a trailer hitch installed on my 2001 Trooper S. does anyone have any advice:

1. what type of hitch to get?
    2. best deal? i've considered U-Haul and the dealership and wondering if anyone has experience with either/other, positive/negative?
    3. any other considerations i should be aware of?
    I bought it and put it on in ~3/4 hr. Great hitch, I tow regularly and usually tow 5000+lbs with it. :)

JC Whitney carries it and I think it's about $125 shipped.

-mike
  • flyinlowflyinlow Member Posts: 62
    Yeah, I think Hidden Hitch is the way to go. Hides completely behind the bumper, looks better than most OEMs. I seem to recall being confused by the directions as to whether I had to drill an additional hole, then figured out that it's not necessary. Just unbolt the rear tow hook and then use the existing holes. Went on easily. Got ours from Automotive Accessories Connection for $140 plus $30 for the wiring connector and $6 S/H. Part numbers for our 2002 LS are 87544 and 38817 respectively. They had it drop shipped directly from HH. Phone 888-425-2885 (I don't work there, just had the receipt right by the desk). Check JC Whitney, they may be cheaper.
  • cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    bawbcat - The early CD changer factory installed on Trooper have a tendency to skip. The newer ones are ok. The one in my 2000 Trooper S worked fine.
    My 2000 has skipped about 3 times in 46K miles of which I've done a ton of offroading which is usually when it skips.

-mike
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    the main problem was jamming, but the unit was a little more skippy than it should have been. The new one is improved and does not skip much at all during use (all on-road, none off-road).
  • cracoviancracovian Member Posts: 337
    For the last two days during my morning commute (when it's cold but not freezing) I hear, on and off but mostly on, low frequency cricket-like, muted vibration sounds coming from somewhere under the hood. It happens on the highway, at speeds between 70 and 75 MPH and only when I press the gas pedal very lightly. Therefore, it is related to the engine operation and not some other loose body part flapping in the wind. If I accelerate or slow down the sounds are no longer there. Since that speed is my normal and preferred speed you can imagine how irritating and unnerving this can be considering I just turned my first 3000 miles on this new vehicle.

While I was getting my first oil change yesterday at the Isuzu dealership, the service guy told me it could possibly be related to low-quality or low octane fuel and he called it "spark noise" I think :-) He suggested that I get some good brand gas during my next fill-up and see what happens.

I've been getting my gas from Costco since it's cheap but don't all fuels come from the same pipe anyway? Could it be that I got a bad tank of gas or could it be something else? What do you all think?
    Or it could be your AC Compressor pulley. I can't tell without hearing the noise myself. Do you notice it with the defrost on? off?

-mike
    It can't hurt. If it's not the gas, then you will still have the funny noise. If it is the gas, the noise will go away or become quieter.

Gas comes from relatively few refineries, but each brand has its own additive package. This sometimes explains spark knock. Also, the gas at Costco could be stale if they don't have a very high turnover (doubtful though - Costco stations always seem to be pretty busy due to the low prices), or they might have somehow gotten a bad batch.
  • lmhousemanlmhouseman Member Posts: 1
    Just so potontial Isuzu buyers will know, my 1999 Trooper with 29,800 miles
    is using 1 quart per 1200 miles. Isuzu Owner Relations says this is normal
    usage.

Seems like adding 6 quarts of oil between recommended oil change intervals
    is a little excessive to me.
    But if you read ANY owners manual of most cars today they all say 1Q/1000miles = normal range.

-mike
  • dcmooredcmoore Member Posts: 14
    I have a 99 Trooper with approx. 45K miles. Initially, the 6-disc changer gave me several problems (skipping, wouldn't accept discs, etc.). Eventually the dealer replaced it free of charge. The technician told me they'd had a lot of problems with the changers. My new changer has been virtually trouble-free.

DMoore
  • sdc2sdc2 Member Posts: 780
    Ditto, my changer has been fine since it was replaced under warranty.
  • 96_i30_5sp96_i30_5sp Member Posts: 127
    I don't understand what you mean by "Seems like adding 6 quarts of oil between recommended oil change intervals is a little excessive to me." Do you change your oil every 7500 miles? The only time I would consider doing this if I were driving 90% highway and using synthetic oil. Judging from the low mileage of your truck (30k in 4 years) you are waiting too long to change the oil. What is that, 4 oil changes in 4 years? Regardless, your consumption is considered normal if it's constant.
    To me, a consumption rate of 1 qt every 1000-2000 miles is too high. It doesn't matter if most manufacturers say a quart every 1000 miles is okay or normal or acceptable - to me, it's not. Still, I live with it on our 98 Trooper because I'm convinced it really is common on these engines and the engines seem to be durable anyway. Plus we love the vehicle and it, as well as the '96 Trooper it replaced, has been one of the most trouble-free vehicles we have owned. Before we bought the '98, I was well aware of the relatively high consumption reputation of the 3.2L and 3.5L Isuzu engines. We bought the vehicle anyway because to me, the consumption was not in itself a big issue.

96_i30_5sp does make a good point. A 7500 mile change interval is fairly long and I agree it's advisable only if the vehicle is using a TRUE synthetic (Mobil 1, Amsoil, Redline; NOT Pennzoil, Castrol, etc.) and/or spending most of its time logging highway miles.
  • boxtrooperboxtrooper Member Posts: 843
    If you are stressed over the 1qt/1000mile oil consumption, swap to another Trooper, I think even among Troopers oil consumption at that high rate is rare. And change the oil very often like 3K miles using the best oil and filter.

A thing to try: Valvoline MaxLife 5W30 oil. It has seal conditioners and other things intended to reduce or prevent oil consumption. Use it for two 3000 mile oil changes and let this discussion know the results. I don't work for Valvoline, but I have good results keeping my lifters quiet. I sure would like to know the results of this test and Maxlife is not expensive to try. (My 1995 SOHC Trooper does not consume significant oil, except when heavy towing, then not as bad as yours) Thank You.

http://www.valvoline.com/pages/products/product_detail.asp?Product=7#
  • tkevinblanctkevinblanc Member Posts: 356
    My friend's Acura Trooper has, I think, I Valley hitch. I have the Hidden Hitch, which I'm happy with, except that it really is hidden. There are some accessories (bike racks, in particular) that will not clear the spare tire. The rack my friend uses on his Acura Trooper - which clears his spare by about an inch - will not fit on the Hidden Hitch without bashing the spare tire cover.

You might want to consider other hitches if you are thinking about accessories.

That being said, the Hidden Hitch installs easily, seems very well designed, and is pretty darn hidden.

On an earlier question, mydaughter calls our Trooper "Truckasaurus." my wife calls it "the Trucklet," and my son and I call it "The Troop."
    I like 'Truckasaurus' and 'The Troop' is solid too. But 'the Trucklet' has gotta go!
    boxtrooper, good suggestions.

I probably should consider using the Valvoline MaxLife. Unfortunately, I like the roughly $1/qt price of conventional SL oils better than the $2/qt for MaxLife. Plus I have about a 30-quart supply of conventional SL oil (mostly Citgo SuperGard and some Chevron Supreme). I've heard many good, and no bad, things about MaxLife though.

But assuming the oil consumption is not in itself a problem and is not indicative of some other problem (this may be a BIG assumption), using $1/qt oil and adding 1-2 qts per change interval is a cheaper route than MaxLife with reduced or no consumption.

I'm already changing every 3,000 miles and using Purolator PureOne filter (the oversized PL24458 instead of the PL14459).

Can someone remind me whether an engine is likely to consume/burn/use more 5W30 than 10W30, and 10W30 more than 20W50, etc.?
    You already have a great oil with the new Chevron Supreme SL, it's almost as good as full synthetics. I'm in South Tx and use Mobil1 10W30 with Purolator filters but I'm considering switching to Chevron SL.
    Don't know if this has been discussed anywhere else but I thought I'd post it for us Trooper fans: http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/021209/lam027_1.html

The good:

1. lowered MSRP prices for 2003 by more than $2000.

2. increased roadside assistance to 7yr/75k (not a big deal to me).

The bad:

1. Prices were lowered by making some equipment optional. Most likely some parts were also cheapened/eliminated.

2. Powertrain warranty is now only 7yr/75k.

• sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    It sounds like that means Isuzu until 2010...then nothing.
    I got my first oil change done on Thursday and just on a hunch I decided to check my oil level on Saturday.

I noticed oil all over my new engine compartment, so I was really pissed off since I thought they spilled it while filling it up. Well, that was before I saw a gaping hole in a place where the oil cap should be... Then I noticed more oil all over my driveway and my garage floor. The word 'furious' would understate how I felt.

They made me drive back to the dealership to get a new oil cap next day. I put my old sock in the hole to prevent oil from spilling all over the place again. They cleaned the engine and gave me the next oil change for free but I'm not sure I want it anymore.

I will never feel uncomfortable to pop the hood and check everything right away at the dealership or even look over their shoulders while they're performing this highly complicated "service". Who can you trust?
  • mkayemkaye Member Posts: 184
    "Isuzu Ascender, introduced in October as Isuzu's new flagship"

Huhh???

I STILL haven't seen the Ascender at any local dealerships. Not that I'm looking though.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/021209/lam027_1.html
    I've seen a few rows of them in Atlanta during my recent visit to the dealer. I didn't see a single person on the showroom floor on Saturday, so it doesn't look like a blockbuster for Isuzu yet - too bad :-( Those things look like road trains 'cause they're so long (and the sunroof is tiny)! The Trooper LTD standing right next to it looked rather small in comparison. The Ascender had a few Isuzu "touches" but you could definitely tell that it was made 100% in the USA plus it said so on the sticker ;-)
    order and AScenders til someone orders one. They are gonna focus on Axioms and Rodeos.

-mike
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    Is there another dealer nearby that you can use? Or try a Jiffy Lube next time...at least you can't be as upset if a jiffy lube screws it up. I think that sucks, however with the given state of Isuzu and dealerships, there is little or no re-course you have. Maybe call the service manager and complain? Even if Isuzu is a small part of the dealership, I am sure they want you to get your next car from them...you might be able to play that up.
  • tkevinblanctkevinblanc Member Posts: 356
    I saw one at my dealer recently and didn't realize it until I looked really closely. I was dismayed to see that it didn't look like a TrailBlazer, it looked EXACTLY like a TrailBlazer.
  • jrr2kjrr2k Member Posts: 35
    NPR's Car Talk had a piece about oil consumption this week. High oil consumption (1.5 Qts every 2000 miles on a fairly new car). They traced it back to the break in of the car. The first 1000 miles that the piston rings seat against the cylinder walls. If my Trooper consummed 1 qrt every 1000 miles I'd ask my local Isuzu dealer for a ring job. (under warranty of course). Or else...try Slick 50, Valvoline max life, or another "engine treatment". Another option would be to get another Trooper. The 2002s seem to be cheap right now:) Or live with it. Maybe not a bad choice, certainly a cheap one.

Great news article 96 I30...Nice to see something poitive on Isuzu Motors for a change!
    I think lowering the MSRP is an excellent idea. Value is a great play for these guys. Now the Rodeo competes pricewise with lesser quality SUVs.
    Isuzu is smart to market itself as value.

Cracovian - Sorry to hear about your experince. You might opt for a local garage or trustworthy lube station next time. There is no excuse for that. I had a similar experience when the dealer put on the shipped roof rack. I picked up the vehicle with 13 miles on it, looked at the roof and was disgusted. It looked like they had drug the rack assemblely across the roof. Streaks and marks everywhere. Thanks guys:( Had I known they were that sloppy I would have told them to put it in the back so I could put it on.

Some things are better left to your local garage.
  • bobbycarbobbycar Member Posts: 12
    I purchased a U-haul 5000/7500 lb (Class III/IV?) receiver & hitch last summer. Installed, it was ~$170. Good service. I highly recommend it. I checked online & called a shop 2 miles from my house.

Towed my 3500 lb sports car on a 2100 lb U-haul car trailer over the mountains from LA to SF in the middle of summer. The temp gauge never moved. An impressive tow vehicle.
    What sports car?

I have 1000s of miles with subies on the 2100lb uhaul trailer (and a 5500lb modified montero on there too) behind the Trooper!

Love it as a tow rig.

-mike
  • cwmosercwmoser Member Posts: 227
    If your Bike Rack will not clear the spare tire, you might want to consider purchasing a 'bike rack extender'. Its an 8-12 inch extention that inserts into your hitch receiver and allows you to insert your Bike Rack into the other end. I have one and it solve the problem for me. I bought mine at a bike shop for $20.

Here are some photos of mine:

http://www.isuzu.8k.com/BikeRack.htm

cwmoser - that is one schweet and cheap solution - thanks for the pics and all the info!
  • beer47beer47 Member Posts: 185
    just passed 80K today (2000 "S")...Where are you are mileage-wise? I hope this trooper lasts as long as the payment book! If I hear any funny noises, I may have to get an Avalanche and hope it lasts!
    C'ent Anni.
    80K!!!!!

I'm still and a mere 46K, since I got my SVX in Sept I've stopped racking up the miles on the Trooper. I'm actually trying to eek out the milage so that I can buy the factory Extended warranty after the new year.

Anyone have pricing on getting the factory extended warranty? I'm looking at something that extends the milage to ~90 or 100K

-mike
  • troop2shostroop2shos Member Posts: 235
    IIRC for the factory warranty, it was around $1200 - but that was quoted to me over a year ago. I've got to make a decision by Feb...I always purchase an ESP for any domestic vehicles.
    paisan - extended warranty??? You??? For the Trooper??? That's a sudden change of heart... I thought those things were supposed to last until 200K miles with a few oil changes alone :-)
    They do, but if for some reason I muck up the computer during a mud-bog incident I'd like to have the warranty cover it after I clean it :)

-mike
  • keepontroopinkeepontroopin Member Posts: 297
    I finally ponied up the bucks for a set of OME 912 rear coils today. Some of you may want to consider buying them too. I bought them from Meridian Offroad in Butler, PA for $90. That is a lot cheaper than any other price I could find. Let me know if anyone is interested and I will give further details (phone, website, etc.)

As far as mileage goes I have been driving the wifes car so mileage on the Trooper will stay down. Currently I am at about 64K (although real miles would probably be closer to 70K considering the offset on the odometer due to larger tires.)

Take care all and KeepOnTroopin!!!
  • rfredarfreda Member Posts: 15
    Just went to dealer for oil change on 98 trooper w/ only 25K miles. Told us needed brake fluid changed for $85 due to age of vehicle, not mileage. Told them to hold off till look into it.

Does this need to be done now?
    You should flush ever 2 years IMHO the brakes.

-mike
    Was that a procedure to 'bleed the brakes' and replace the fluid? I don't know much about brake jobs, but we have a 98 Trooper with almost 75k miles and I'm thinking it would be wise to have the brakes bled and the fluid replaced. Maybe those 2 things are one in the same; I don't know.
    Bleeding just gets the air out of the lines. Flushing is what you want which flushes all the old fluid out and new fluid replaces it.

$85 isn't bad, they need to remove all the wheels, and connect up a pump to suck out the fluid.

-mike
    So the 2 are different; thanks. Does the flush procedure inherently include a bleed? In other words, is the air bled out of the lines by virtue of the old fluid being flushed out and replaced with new?
  • serranoserrano Member Posts: 107
    Hello,

The "Flush" is usually an extended bleed that forces out all of the old fluid. I recommend that the reservoir be siphoned almost dry and refilled with fresh fluid because ABS valves and pumps can be intolerant of particles.

The process can be done by bleeding each wheel one of two ways: pumping the pedal or using a vacuum bleeder. Start with the wheel furthest from the brake reservoir and work your way to the closest wheel.

Tom
    Yes a flush includes a bleed.

Don't necessarily start with the farthest wheel. Check with the factory service manual for the order of wheels to bleed. You'd be suprised that it isn't always furthest to closest.

-mike
    I won't be attempting this myself, but it's good to have the general info in my head - helps to know what I'm paying for and helps me determine whether the shop staff know what they are talking about.