Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Trooper

Comments

• flyinlowflyinlow Member Posts: 62
    The manual for our 2002 LS doesn't say a word about changing the fuel filter. In fact, it doesn't even acknowledge that the truck has one! The local dealer changed it as part of the "15K service" even though I had given them a specific list of what to do. Have I been hosed? I'd appreciate if someone with a prior year owner's manual (since I assume this was an oversight) or shop manual would check: what is the recommended interval for replacing it? 15K seems way too conservative.
  • savvas_esavvas_e Member Posts: 347
    Isuzu and Holden have been testing a 3.8L version of the Isuzu V6 here in Australia for use in new Commodore models. However, the GM HFV6 that is now being built in Canada and will soon be built down here in Melbourne got the job ahead of it.

It'll be interesting to see if the 3.8 variant gets the job in the new Trooper.

There is also a version of the 3.5 V6 that pumps out close to 300hp, but it requires 100 octane fuel as is available in Japan.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    They announced that the 2006 will get the 250hp 3.5l Direct Injection Gas Engine. My guess is that by the time 2006 rolls around it may be pump out ~275hp which would be just fine with me.

-mike
  • jrr2kjrr2k Member Posts: 35
    Hey Mike,
    I' ve got a 90 legacy wagon. I bought it in 1995 and have gone everywhere in it. It is a great car. No major or suprising problems in 225k miles. It seems funny that I may have to replace the 3rd timing belt :)
    A friend of mine has a SVX. They are very underrated sports cars.
    I saw you had a couple of xt6's on your website. That is my dream project car. Boxer engine and pneumatic suspension! Way ahead of its time.
    I am looking at getting a new outback someday. It would be nice if the h6's were a little cheaper. I look forward to the day that they put a h6 intercooled turbo into the legacy wagon!
    The XT6 was great. Except for the air suspension. I swapped it out on both of the cars I bought cause it was a major pain. Had great torque and won many auto-xs with it.

They have an H6 OB base-model now that isn't too bad cost wise. I'm looking forward to the H6t that is going to be coming in the upcoming B11S that is due out in 05 or 06.

I just had the SVX up at limerock for a track day with the BMW club :) Nothing like getting a pointby on the track from an M5 w/400+hp.

My current project car for auto-x is a '96 Impreza L. Going to build it up and hope to drop the 3.0l H6 engine from an LL Bean or VDC into it this winter then supercharge it :)

-mike
    It must be hard to find a niche in the SUV market these days. I think the top makers would rather cannabolize themselves than lose ground to a competitor. I just occured to me that Ford will have 5 SUV's. (escape, explorer, expedition, excursion, everest). Is that right?
    Boxtrooper, your right. Isuzu needs a specific niche. USA turbo deisel models would be a nice start. It seems they are opting for the low cost, high value sell.
    They hooked me. I see 2002 4x4 troopers w/under 5000 miles on them for under 19k$. High value, low cost!!!!!!
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    Don't forget Fords - Land Rovers and Volvo XC90.
  • boxtrooperboxtrooper Member Posts: 843
    The one place where all other SUVs fail is MPG. Isuzu is uniquely positioned to take advantage of that big open hole in the market with a Diesel that costs no more than the gas version.
    Even farther out on a possible Isuzu automotive niche: How about Isuzu maintains a few of its own vehicles such as a Trooper and a smaller sportier something like the Rodeo but also expands to offer rebadged GM vehicles fitted with Isuzu Inside. For example Isuzu could provide a turbo diesel hybrid power train for the Ascender or other GM minivans and work vans and sell them as Isuzu's or better yet let GM sell them as GMs but require a prominent label that says "Isuzu EcoPowered". Then build up recognition using free advertising from MPG worrying ecology people and qualify for a fuel efficient vehicle tax break etc...
    Isuzu should also take advantage of the current rush of "cross-over" vehicles by taking the oposite approach. Isuzu should say "look at all the very light duty cars sold as cross over SUVs and remind people that to get a real sturdy heavy duty long term reliable vehicle that can tow they will want to get an Isuzu"
    Then add the 10Kw home backup power option as an add-on inverter unit for $1999.99 and sell the advantage of a feature no other vehicle can offer.
    This is interesting...there is also another link to the Ascender, in which a comeback is referred to.

http://www.edmunds.com/news/autoshows/articles/96999/page012.html
  • savvas_esavvas_e Member Posts: 347
    There's some scant talk about a new Jackaroo in 2004, but Holden really aren't announcing anything other than that the Jackaroo name is staying.

The current shape is coming out of the Phillipines, with the new one to be out of Thailand.

If the new Trooper/Jackaroo is to be based on the Isuzu Adventure, which in itself is based on the D-Max pickup, then it will likely be slightly smaller than the current Trooper/Jackaroo. It will be closer to the Rodeo/Frontera in size.

But....a bit smaller and lighter, more powerful motor = lots of fun!!!!

As long as it retains a ladder frame chassis and doesn't lose any wheel articulation, I'll be happy!!!

Oh...and the power fold-in mirrors! Gotta keep those.
    All the articles say that it will be larger than the Trooper. I'm thinking that it might be based on the Dmax but it could be extended in length. We'll see what happens.

-mike
  • ostazostaz Member Posts: 80
    I am getting a pair of Hella 550 for my truck (99s). I have a few questions:

- How easy is it to break-out the plate in the factory cut-out?
    - Would I have to run a wire from the lights, through the fire wall. to the switch? (going thru a relay of course).
    - Do I have to drill to mount it?
    - What's a good material to fill around the lights in the cut-outs for a "factory" look.

Thanks for the help
  • adticaadtica Member Posts: 4
    My company 2001 Trooper is scheduled to fade away tomorrow as I pick up my new fleet car. While I would have selected another trooper if available, I will be driving an Explorer XLT. The old trooper served me very well with 0 trips to the dealer since new. All that was done was oil changes and 1 tire rotation. It still has the factory tires at 65,000 miles with still more to go. Oil consumption was up to 1qt/1000miles.

The good news is that my wife also drives a Trooper (02 LS)so I will always be able to enjoy my most favorite SUV. We hope to keep this one for many years as it currently has only 7,500 miles and an easy life.
    I haven't done it myself for the fogs (but am contemplating adding something on that circuit)...but the wiring is all there. People on this board have ordered the factory switch from St. Charles Isuzu. From what I have read, the switch mounts in one of the switch blanks to the left of the steering wheel next to the useless slot. All of the wiring is included.

This is wired for fogs though, so the lights will only work with low beams. If you want to switch it to High beams or independent of what beam is activated you will have to do some wiring yourself.
  • leedavidyoungleedavidyoung Member Posts: 102
    OEM fog light switch: part # 8971355120
    relay: part # 8970939101
  • dmigeldmigel Member Posts: 15
    Just picked up a '02 S for $22,500. I had them add the 6-disc in dash changer (which I am truly amazed by. My only question is if it has a 'random play' feature where it would randomly play tracks off of all of the discs. Any input? Am I missing something?
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    I'm not aware of a random play function on the Isuzu changer in my 98 Trooper. It's a pretty skip-resistant unit, but the sound quality is mediocre. Not sure how much blame goes to the CD player and how much to the speakers.
  • mpelmpel Member Posts: 23
    Can I take my 99S to a car wash and power wash the engine?!? We just got a second car and the engine is so clean and I wanted to treat my Trooper to a sparkling power plant too!!!
  • jimmyp1jimmyp1 Member Posts: 640
    i WOULDN'T USE HIGH PRESSURE, i'D JUST USE YOUR GARDEN HOSE. dOH! AutoCAD got me, sorry.

Jim
    my '00 engine, no problems afterward.

-mike
  • philbraphilbra Member Posts: 9
    This is based primarily on my past experience working in a bike shop and friends who are Trooper owners:

1. The Yakima Ski Racks tend to be found on Dark Blue and Grey Troopers that were Isuzu-sponsored ski/snowboard vehicles and have surface rust under the body and quite a few door dings.

2. The tower/rack combo over the doors has been suitable for surfboards over 9 feet and bikes, but it does look a little weird so far towards the front.

3. Two customers purchased a full rack with a Yak fit-kit to give the complete rack 3 poles/tower sets for kayaks. This seemed to work fine, but involved added cost for the kit.

4. The factory bolts have provided more than one person plenty of support/racks for kayaks and even a lenth-wise safari rack, but support for a load on the safari rack was always an issue.

5. I've also seen a few Troopers with support brackets bolted to the roof with a good amount of silicone caulk and not leak, but I do not recommend this avenue.

Hopes this adds input to the rack question.

Since I am looking for a 99+ Trooper myself, I look forward to all postings for guidance.
    The position in the front is actually better than in the back. I just put my bike on my thule rack tonight and it easier to hoist it up top via the rear door. There are grab handles in the doorway so you can pull yourself upwith one hand and hoist the bike in the other.

When I use my box carrier I also use the door frame to load stuff in and out of it. I need the ladder to get it on.

Anyway, as far as position goes I find the frontward foot mount thule or yakima to be better for loading.
  • dmuzykadmuzyka Member Posts: 31
    I just had my Trooper in for it's 30,000 mile service (well, actually 37,000...) and I had left the oil cap off the other day (idiot) and asked the dealer if they could power wash the engine. The service advisor strongly recommended against that since a number of the electrical contact points and other mechanical-types words he tossed around are somewhat exposed towards the top. They did a really nice mop up for around $20.
  • dnestrdnestr Member Posts: 188
    Hi everybody. According to IT*99 owners manual, ATF Dexron II or III should be used in TOD transmission case.
    But some used trucks from United States (there are many 98-99 in Russia) have motor oil in TOD (it looks like 5W30 or 10W30). So, is it OK to use motor oil instead ATF by Isuzu US dealers?
    Don't use Motor oil in your TOD unit. Regular part-time transfer cases use Gear oil, but none I know of use motor oil.

-mike
  • sdc2sdc2 Member Posts: 780
    That could be mistake on somebodies part, due to the confusing way the owners manual is written. It took me awhile to figure out that the transfer case the owners manual was referring to was not the one on my TOD-equipped Trooper. If somebody didn't pick up on that distinction, I could very easily see somebody putting motor oil in the TOD transfer case.

Simple way to figure it out:

Manual tranny = regular transfer case = gear oil in the transfer case (motor oil in the tranny, I believe)

Automatic tranny = TOD transfer case = ATF in the transfer case

(This only applied for model years after the TOD unit came out...not sure when that was)
    You could get part-time transfer case on the 2002 S model Troopers equipped with ATs.

-mike
    The factory provided roof rack mounting points allow very secure mounting using the OverLander T100 brackets. IMHO the "roof rack mounting points" are leftover from where the factory robot was carrying the Trooper body through the manufacturing process before attaching it to the chassis, I think the mounting points are that strong. There are two 6mm nuts welded to the roof channel at each mounting point for 12 total 6mm nuts on the roof. The T100 brackets are hardenned steel 1/8 inch thick. They require a carbide drill bit if you want to make extra holes in them.
    I have Thule crossbars on all three sets of brackets so I can choose to put stuff on the roof forward or toward the rear. I have found that the easiest access for loading the roof rack is using the rear most possible location. This allows standing on top of the rear tires or on the rear bumper. (I have the 1995 Trooper-S which has non-painted bumper covers so I have no paint sratching worries from walking on it). I do carry a step ladder if I have a lot of stuff up there since with my feet so close in it is easy to lean back and loose balance.
    Where is a control stick on automatic transmission unit? Does it exist there? or CHECK TRANS lamp shows if "low level". Just I purchased my Trooper a few days ago, don't have possibility to visit my dealer right now.
    I was surprised reading Adtica's message: 1gt/1000 miles (0,7L/1000 km) is too much for 65000 miles engine, isn't it, or I'm mistaken? What is the oil consumption U have usually? E.g. my old Toyota Prado (3,4 L gasoline engine, approx. 100000 miles) needs 0,2L/1000 miles on highway only.

Thank U.

- Alexey.
    I've seen 2-200lb guys up on top of the ARB roof rack plus gear and they are put into the OEM roof rack mounting points.

So yep, they are strong.

-mike
    If by "a control stick on automatic transmission" you are looking for a way to check the automatic transmission fluid level, there is no such "dip stick" device on 1992-2002 Trooper automatics.
    Oil consumption on most Troopers is like any other vehicle, very little or not even measurable oil consumption. But, some Troopers do consume oil even when at low miles. The standard response from Isuzu or GM or Ford or Chrysler etc.. for any vehicle is that "It is considered normal and acceptable oil consumption up to 1qt/1000miles". This is a sad but true fact.
    My 1984 Trooper consumed oil around 0.5qt/1000miles at 30000 miles and around 1qt/1000miles at 201000 miles. That little 1984 1.9L was "the little engine that could". It was trouble free except for the oil consumption.
    My 1995 Trooper 3.2L does not consume any measurable amount of oil in normal driving, but pulling a heavy trailer it will consume 0.5L/1000miles, maybe more than that. I check the oil often when towing. I have an oil pressure gage on the dash that I use to watch over the oil situation and my 3.2L engine is the one that has the lifter ticking problem if the oil gets low or dirty, so I think I would get plenty of warning of low oil if that were to happen.
    Actually most of the 4L30Es that are in 92-02 Do have dipsticks. The 97->02 don't have dipsticks. Maybe some of the pre 97 don't either, but I know several 94 and 96 owners who do have them.

-mike
  • sdc2sdc2 Member Posts: 780
    I just added half a quart the other day, it was about 2,200 miles since the oil change, so it burned roughly 0.25 quarts in 1,000 miles. And I use 5W-30 Mobil One, which some people say will be burned faster than heavier weight non-synthetic...

Alexey, I bet you are having "fun" trying to translate all these English units of measure into metric!
  • df2000df2000 Member Posts: 60
    "Don't use Motor oil in your TOD unit. Regular part-time transfer cases use Gear oil, but none I know of use motor oil"
    It is not correct t-case on 97 Rodeo 3.2l auto
    use 5w30 motor oil.
    Hmm, interesting. Considering that I owned a '97 rodeo! In either case, you would not put gear/motor oil into a TOD unit.

-mike
    Now I'm satisfied and I believe my Trooper will be a reliable SUV for several years. There is not AT's dipstick, means fluid level must be constant and no need to check it between service interval.
    However, there arn't (in Russia)official Isuzu sales any more since they stop to produce trooper. So sad. I do not consider Opel Frontera (European Rodeo) to be Isuzu because frontera has 2.0 or 2.2L opel engines and it purchased through opel dealers. Also Axiom and that SUV which has a strange name Ascender are for US market only as I know). All it means that genuine spare parts will get high prices,and an addition to this it will be problematic to have the qualified service in the future.
    Such a conception...
    Philbra - IMHO the roof rack you put on your trooper depends alot on what you want to carry.
    For bikes and snowboards/skis, I'd look at the hitch mounted options. Alot of the new Thule hitch mount bike carriers can be transformed to ski carriers. Plus its nice and easy to load from the rear of the truck.
    If you want cargo or watersports, you have to go to the roof. The Thule / Yakima racks are cheapest to buy, have the most sport components, and are found everywhere. Unfortunately, they are supposed to be removed when not in use and can damage your vehicle (I have a Thule on the Subaru).
    The other option is the safari type rack. It is expensive, but mounts to your roof via the "lifting points". Japanese Isuzu Bighorns have roof rails that mount here, so they are load bearing.
    Tough choices...ideally Isuzu would import Bighorn roof rails for use on Troopers :) but that's not going to happen.
    Personally I will probably install the safari rack if I can be sure that Thule components (like fairings and a kayak carrier) will attach to the safari rack top crossbars.

Anybody have a safari rack (like Surco) with Thule or Yakima components attached?
    "Spare Me" rack by Thule fits on the spare tire mount. Has an option kit to fit skis too.
    hitch mount bike carriers will probably need to be used with a 2" hitch extender to clear the spare tire. The longer double connection means twice the wobble and the wobble distance is larger due to the longer reach.
    I will eventually need to carry up to 6 bikes. I will put two on the "Spare Me" and four on the roof. For now the smaller kids bikes can go inside, but they are growing fast.
    Bikes on the roof takes away 2mpg. The permanent mount expedition racks IMHO would also cost you at the gas pump.
    My 1995 Trooper outperforms 1/2 ton Chevy Suburban in towing the same boat. As determined by the boat discussion and many compalints there by Suburban owners that they experience excessive sway problems while Trooper owners do not. Power Weight and Wheelbase are not everything. The Trooper is also more maneuverable when towing because of the smaller turning circle.
    Of course, as expected, the 3/4 ton Suburban tows much better than the Trooper.
  • mlevkmlevk Member Posts: 7
    Hi chporter, I hope you see this post.
    I have the SAME EXACT problem you described.
    Usually ,my 99 won't engage when it is hot ,
    intermitent cold or warm. It's driving me crazy.
    I brought it into the dealer for a clunking
    into 4WD when it was hot and they never could
    fix that problem so I haven't bother to bring this problem to them yet. I'd like to see if you
    can describe the fix , I'm a little confused on some parts. But let me try this weekend if the rain holds off.
  • uniconunicon Member Posts: 18
    Right after the 3 year warranty ran out on my '99 Trooper, the battery died. Luckily batteries are cheap. Anyone else had bad luck in this department?
    I don't have problems enging 4wd, but I think I recognize the clunk you are referring to. My '99 does the same thing when hot(if I understand you correctly), well when I have driven for more than 30-45 minutes in 2wd and then engage TOD.

I think it is due to the front half of the driveline (axle?) not turning as fast as the rest of the driveline? Either out of sync or slower? If I have been in 4wd for a while and then disengage and re-engage it doesn't happen.

I imagine most people don't engage 4wd that often, and if they do it is either when they start off or from a stop, so not many notice this. I have posted regarding this a long time ago and remember at least 1-2 others having the same issue, so I think it is common.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I got 30 months out of my OEM battery on my '99 Nissan. I think the manufacturers and suppliers have the warranty expiration/failure thing down to a pretty exact science.

Steve, Host
    Anyhow, you used the battery for a long time. For sure, you drive somewhere in Texas or California, a? I've never used any battery more than 20-24 months.
    Installing a new battery, be sure, that it has Ampere hour's recommended standard -95 Ah for gasoline, 115 Ah for diesel engines. Otherwise, the battery will die before its warranty ends.
    Good luck.

Alexey
  • jagharjaghar Member Posts: 2
    HI PEOPLE,
    I HAVE A 1999 TROOPER WITH 47K MILES.
    HAS ANY BODY HAD ANY EXHAUST MUFFLER PROBLEMS.
    GETTING A LOUD NOISE WHEN INITIALLY STARTING IT.
    CHECKED UNDER THE TRUCK ,NOISE FROM THE MUFFLER.
    ALSO WOULD IT BE UNDER WARRANTY STILL,BOUGHT 07/1999. REST THE TRUCK IS GOOD.
  • serranoserrano Member Posts: 107
    One thing you should check is the transfer case or transmission mounting bolts. My TOD made a tremendous clunk when relatively new, and I discovered loose transfer case mounting bolts. It still clunks occasionally, but not nearly as bad.

Tom
  • bostnwhalrbostnwhalr Member Posts: 128
    Finally took possession of a 2000 Trooper Limited 4wd. Drove it 70 miles home in the pouring rain without a problem.

Because I was buying used, I was definitely nervous, but I was impressed. Everything seems fine, but I have a concern.

I tested out TOD by hitting the 4wd AUTO switch. As you all know, the diagram for the front wheels contains 3 LED lights each. I noticed that when driving down the road in 4wd AUTO on, one of the 3 leds lights up. When I come to a stop, it goes out. I thought that the front led's would stay dark unless the rear wheels slipped. The owner manual says that 15% engine power is going to the front wheels. Is this normal? Has anyone had this happen? Should I be concerned?

The good news is that I tested the TOD 4wd a bit in a dirt parking lot by gunning it from a standstill in a dirt parking lot. Sure enough, no wheel slip and all front leds flashed. So, at least it is working

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Tim
  • jim112jim112 Member Posts: 12
    At 35,000, I replaced brake fluid in the reservoir by simply suctioning out the fluid and replacing it. It was my assumption I could do the same with the power steering fluid (as I just did in my 2 Camrys). However, the power steering reservoir has a plastic device inside which prevents a suction device from getting to the fluid. I would like to avoid the mess of removing the hose at the bottom of the reservoir. Can someone help?

thanx
    TOD over 5mph will apply 15-25% power to the front axle, this is a pre-emptive power split to PREVENT you from spinning the rears and thus engaging "auto" 4wd. Basically the system is well advanced past the auto-systems found on the Ascendor/TB/Explorer/etc. Most of those systems wait for a wheel to be spinning before shifting power, which doesn't help you stay out of trouble on-road or off. With the 15% going to the front >5mph, you are essentially being partially pulled forward thus elimnating a lot of the fishtailing etc. associated with the "auto" 4wd systems.

Your system is working 100% correctly!

I also flushed my brakes today @ 50K miles. Nice firm feel again :) Didn't even have to jack up the truck or take the wheels off. Yum Yum

-mike
  • bostnwhalrbostnwhalr Member Posts: 128
    Mike,

Thanks for your comments on TOD. I took the Trooper for a late night cruise last night. Damn nice. Finally opened the sunroof. I love the fact that it stops 3/4 open initially. Almost no wind buffering. Sounds crazy, but you can tell that the engineers who designed the Trooper were sweating the small stuff.

Considering that this Trooper has 79k miles, I am amazed at how tight the structure is with only one squeak coming from the rear when I take a tight turn on a bumpy street.

If GM had been smart, they would have thrown a few hundred million at some Isuzu engineers a few years ago, and let them create the next Trooper. All it needs is:

30-40 more hp and torque from a 3.8L V-6 motor.
    Improved plastics/dashboard (the tach/speedo/clock, etc. remind me of early 90's Toyota, not a bad thing, but...)
    Roof rails
    Improved rear door structure/design
    2" more seat travel.

Given that everyone is jumping on the car-based SUV bandwagon, wouldn't be nice to create an updated "traditional" SUV like the Trooper?

Tim