Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Isuzu Trooper

Comments

• Options
    emiuraemiura Member Posts: 59
    You have to disassemble the transfer case to get to the pin. This person installed Tera Low gear, and these pictures are from that write-up.
    http://www.ubslabo.com/ikasama.htm

I don't know which is more popular, AT or Manual, but I see more manual trans Trooper owners among those who have homepages.
  • Options
    boxtrooperboxtrooper Member Posts: 843
    Having just shopped around for Troopers I can tell you that with some miles on them the suspensions feel very different. I drove two 2002 automatic Troopers both had been rental units and were offered for the same price around $18K. One looked like it had a hard 38000 mile life, with mismatched tires and dings and dog teeth marks in the seat buckles. I drove it just to see what an automatic Trooper felt like. The suspension on this unit was all loose and sloppy compared to my 1995 Trooper with OME springs and shocks which was recently totalled due to air bag launch.
    Later that day I found the second Trooper it was identical even the VIN was only different and by less than 10. This unit had only 17500 miles and seemed much better taken care of. I drove this one also. It was very much better than its twin in terms of suspension control and automatic. shifting. I thought I might be able to buy this one, but I take things slow so I waited. Next day the wife and I were looking at regular cars to buy her one then I would be left with the family minivan as my replacement SUV. Just as a last chance before accepting my wife's desire to get a little car, early in the morning on a Friday, I gave cars.com (a list of newspaper ads accross the country) one last search. That is when I found the 2001 manual transmission Trooper.
    The 2001 was a well loved personal vehicle all its life and it showed. It was very clean and the suspension is better than the second automatic 2002 Trooper enough that I will leave it alone for now. On this 2001 Trooper with 50/50 highway/city mileage the fuel idiot light came on at 376 miles on one tank of gas! The higher MPG makes my wife happy and the stronger engine makes my happy.
    I just put five Revo tires on the 2001 and left off the tire cover, it looks much more like my car now. I think the smoother looking original tires had a very minivan look to me.
  • Options
    sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    of the new ride?
  • Options
    but it is on the list of things to get soon. We want one that will work well forever and for us, that requires some rain resitance. Any suggestions for a durable water resistant digital camera would be welcome, but send it to my private email since it is off subject on this Trooper discussion.
  • Options
    bostnwhalrbostnwhalr Member Posts: 128
    Hi All,

Haven't posted since I purchased a 2000 Trooper Limited back in April with 80k miles.

Overall, loving it. Took it on a 15 day 3,900 mile road trip that included a week on the beaches of the Outer Banks, NC.

The vehicle has been fantastic with two exceptions:

Oil consumption. I have one of the Troopers that uses oil, as I found out on the road trip, burning a quart every 600-700 miles while driving at high speeds day in, day out. I switched to 10W-40 on the last oil change. I ran into a Trooper enthusiast who suggested that I use 20W-50 for 2 oil changes and the oil use will go away. Of course, he's in New Orleans and I'm in Massachusetts so winter time will see a switch to 5W-30. Even the owners manual says that 20W-50 and 20W-40 are fine for warm weather.

The other thing is that the Trooper nearly overheated driving (went to the very top of the normal range) when driving on the beach for several miles. Granted it was 90 degrees and I'm putting a load on the vehicle, but it freaked me out. I had to stop and let the truck idle for a few minutes every 1/2 mile or so. Short jaunts on the beach were no big deal (1/2 mile or so)

It has also run quite warm in stop and go traffic on the highway. The temp gauge goes up to 2/3 in that traffic. Once I get moving over 40 or idle, the gauge goes back to the usual normal level. I haven't been stuck in traffic long enough to see if the engine will get even hotter.
    Funny thing, it doesn't change temperature in town, at low speeds where you stop and go, only on the highway, when you're stuck in traffic.

Any suggestions when I take the Trooper in for the next oil change? Should I have the cooling system flushed? PCV valve/EGR changed for the oil use?

Overall, I really love the Trooper though. I wasn't expecting perfection given the 80k miles on the odo. I'm planning on driving it for a long time.

Tim
  • Options
    I wonder if they are related. It sounds like you have cooling problem that is present on the highway then when you slow down the heat flow out of the radiator is reduced and the temp gage goes up. Even though the temperature gage does not show a higher temperature, if the water flow is too slow the local metal temperatures in the engine might be extra high, which might explain oil consumption on the highway and a high temperature gage reading when in a traffic jamb on the highway after getting the engine good and hot the slowing down reduces the ability of the radiator to get rid of the extra heat.
    80K miles, have you replaced your timing belt and tensioner yet? When you do have the water pump replaced also. Then have a look at the pump to make sure it looks like it has been providing a good flow rate. Also, if you replace the water pump go ahead and get the timing belt and tensioner done at the same time since most of the labor to get at those parts is the same.
    Check that the radiator is clean inside and out and change to known good coolant.
    Does your oil get dark colored quickly? That may indicate high engine temperatures.
  • Options
    breakorbreakor Member Posts: 398
    Let me add my $.02 to Boxtrooper's excellent analysis and advice.

Maybe the thicker oil will work. It does seem to run contrary to the too few/too small oil ring return holes theory. Then again that is only one theory.

I vote for a new PCV as they are cheap. Have them at least inspect the EGR to see if it needs cleaning. I would run a couple of tanks of Techron fuel system cleaner just to try and get the engine as clean as possible. I would not use anything higher than 10/40 in your climate. I would also go no longer than 3k miles on dino oil and stay away from anything but 87 octane gas.

Be sure to mention the oil usage to the dealer and get him to do a consumption test. That way if you have a serious problem Isuzu should pick up the tab.

I would also do the coolant change if the fluid is more than about 18 months old. Make sure they don't put in too high a percentage of anti-freeze as that will make you run hotter. Also ask them if they use tap water. If they do, take them some purified water instead.
  • Options
    bostnwhalrbostnwhalr Member Posts: 128
    Thanks for your thoughts.

Guess what... I changed the oil 2,000 miles ago when in North Carolina with 10W 40 and the vehicle has slowed oil consumption even though I had to drive 800 miles home. So far, I've added one quart. 50%-60% of my driving is now in town.

As for the coolant, I got stuck in a 5 minute stop-and-go situation yesterday in Providence, RI. Temperature gauge didn't budge from 1/3 normal. I've been watching the needle whenever I drive around town and it never moves. Only moved while under greater stress.

I've got a scheduled oil change with my mechanic for 8/7/03. He thought the thicker oil was a good idea. He's been my mechanic for nearly 10 years now, so I trust his judgement. I'll definitely have him check the EGR and change out the PCV. My mechanic already asked about the percentage of antifreeze in the cooling system. I'll have him reflush it anyway.

I'd go to the Isuzu dealer, but I would imagine that since I bought the Trooper used, the warranty is shortened, correct? I've got nearly 90k on the thing. I guess that's the downside of buying used, you are never quite sure what you're getting.....

Boxtrooper, good thought on the timing belt. No idea whether it's been changed. I would assume so, but it scares me to make that assumption. I will probably have my mechanic change it, especially if the water pump needs replacement.

Overall, though, I am very impressed with the Trooper. Very tight with no squeaks and rattles. I really love it!
  • Options
    bstone3bstone3 Member Posts: 97
    Personally, I would go with using Mobil 1 the stuff never changes vescosity and is much more stable (won't boil off) - also I suspect your thermostat is going out - I know on my 2001 TOD that temp gage flat never moves and in Alabama - this time of year it is hot - so flush the radiator and change the thermostat - at 80K its probably time. The only thing on a water pump that usually goes out are the bearings and seal - it doesn't loose efficiency - but agree when you change the timing belt might as well do the pump.
  • Options
    cracoviancracovian Member Posts: 337
    I'm not sure about 2000 models but I'm assuming that the change interval is the same as in 2002's which is 105K miles. It's funny but a lot of people get rid of cars (it's an excuse to get a new car) when major service is due or overdue, so I'm 99% sure the timing belt hasn't been changed yet. Lou Sobh Isuzu in Atlanta had a timing belt special for $399 and that's very cheap if you ask me. ALWAYS change your water pump while you're at it.

A little strange Trooper story far ya:

It was Trooper, name-calling, bashing time at Car Talk this past Saturday (one of their reruns, I guess) and my wife heard it as I was slowly waking up. She seemed concerned and I told her that those guys didn't know jack about brands other than Hondas and Toyotas (though they mentioned old Troopers made them a fortune), we had breakfast, and then drove downtown for a swim at our university pool. Once we got on the highway we saw one of those older square looking Troopers and (as always) tried to be the first one to notice it and call out its name. A moment later that Trooper pulled over to the side with his emergency lights on... A few miles later we got passed by this crazy lady (with kids inside) doing 90MPH in her 3.2 liter Trooper with heavy smoke trailing 1 mile behind her across the four lanes of traffic. I almost called 911 'cause she drove like she was on drugs but then she disappeared in the cloud of smoke. Once we got inside the perimeter we saw another older black Trooper on the side of the road with its emergency lights on. It was all so weird... I had to rest my case for that day :-(
  • Options
    Total failures:
    1984 4-speed Trooper power steering tensioner pully bad bearing, water pump seal slow drip, throttle plate worn to air leaks past throttle shaft but always driveable.
    1995 5-speed Trooper power steering hose failure slow leak, lifter ticking under control, rear ended totalled by air bag deployment, but always driveable.
    2001 5-speed Trooper, my first used Trooper, no trouble yet. 2001 will be in for changing all oils includes brakes, power steering, engine, transmission, transfer case, differentials to keep it trouble free. Maybe I'll make it to 30 years with this 2001 Trooper.
  • Options
    cracoviancracovian Member Posts: 337
    It could have all been flats and the crazy woman obviously didn't give a d@mn about the truck either, so oil changes might have been optional.

I hardly see Troopers around here and it was just an amazing and creepy coincidence that following the radio broadcast and our discussion we saw three of them in the row having some types of issues - that's all... We left our Trooper in the garage that day :-)
  • Options
    dnestrdnestr Member Posts: 188
    I checked russian isuzu board, there was a guy, he had the same cooling problem on his 90k trooper '98. It was a dirty radiator (dust, down, insects ), he washed it from the outside and it was fine.

Hope it might help.
  • Options
    sdc2sdc2 Member Posts: 780
    I have never seen my temp gauge above halfway, even VERY slow rock crawling in the hot Moab desert...and my 99 doesn't have those fancy auxiliary electric fans like the newer ones do!
  • Options
    tkevinblanctkevinblanc Member Posts: 356
    So you gotta wonder if those fancy, auxilliary electric fans might not be coming on...
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Are only there for the AC Condensor Unit, on the '01-02 models. They are in addition to the fan that the rest of us have on the pre '01 models.

-mike
  • Options
    enphanenphan Member Posts: 23
    Sdc2,
    You are right, I brought the trooper to the dealer, they check and replace the pressure regulator. It works fine now.

They explain that if the pressure regulator failed, some gas will dump into the intake and flood it. It may be fine in the winter when it needs more gas but not in the summer.
  • Options
    dnestrdnestr Member Posts: 188
    I feel a smell when the salon fan blows, guess the salon air filter needs to be replaced. I asked my dealer, thought VIN code was enough for 'em, but answer was "come, we'll check, some 98> troopers must have such an option, the rest not". That "check" will cost me about 30$ and waste of time, so I prefer to do the replacement by myself.

Did anyone here do such a work?

Where is the filter located?

Your inputs would be valuable to me, thanks.
  • Options
    Glad to hear you got it figured out.

The intake manifold gaskets and fuel pressure regulators seem to be the weak link on 99s. I have had both go out on mine (IMG twice). Fortunately, neither problem renders the vehicle undrivable...
  • Options
    raydahsraydahs Member Posts: 449
    Pulled into work, got out to a hissing sound (thought is was sprinklers) looked down to see a 2" gash with a piece of sheet metal in it. She was going down fast, knowing I would be changing it at lunch time, I pulled it into an end spot so I could get the floor jack underneath (yep, I carry a 2.5 ton mini floor jack). So I go out, do a NASCAR style tire change (15 min) not bad:)

Lessons learned: 1.)although spare tires on the back of vehicles can be ugly, man they're practical, no climbing under a messy vehicle to get the spare. I'm in work clothes back at my desk looking the same as when I left this morning. 2.)check the spare tire pressure regularly, it could have been alot worse if the tire only had 10 or so lbs. in it.
  • Options
    I carry a mini-floor jack too. Heck I've NEVER used the stock jack, and don't even know where the handles are for it!

-mike
  • Options
    raydahsraydahs Member Posts: 449
    I can't believe the base diameter on the bottom of that thing, It's dangerous IMO.

Hey Mike, off topic here, but I have to share this with you. I know you and the Subie gang are into racing cars, so you might appreciate this. Last weekend I tried something out that is an absolute blast, Indoor Karting! They just opened up one here in S.D. http://www.miramarspeedcircuit.com/
    I'm currently recruiting people from work to get private track time.

The best one in the country, is kind of close to you guys http://www.f1boston.com/ if it's not too far and inconvenient, you should get a group together and give it a try. I haven't had this much fun since my Motocross days :)
  • Options
    We'll definitely try that out this winter for sure!

I think on the jack I'm gonna remove the stocker from the truck and use that as a storage compartment. I actually did some upgrades over my vacation:

Electronic Brake Controller for the car trailer
    55w Halogen Lights in the rear bumper step for loading the boat and car trailer at night.
    Working on hooking up a 1200w/600w power inverter and outlets in the truck. Can't wait to be able to use the full impact wrench at auto-x off the inverter :)

-mike
  • Options
    rfredarfreda Member Posts: 15
    trooper is going for first big service. dealer conveniently located down the street wants $380. does this seem fair?
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Here's one baseline:

The Edmunds Maintenance Guide

Steve, Host
  • Options
    First I would compare what they want to do with what Isuzu recommends on your maintenance schedule in the owners manual (look at the Severe Conditions maintenance schedule as well, you may find it applies to you). Sometimes they pump a bunch of extra stuff in their packages that you may not need...although for $380 I suspect they haven't added too much. I have heard of numbers more like $600 from some dealers.

Then I would add a few "optional" things that aren't necessarily recommended at 30K. I would do a tranny fluid swap, radiator fluid swap, and put in new plugs (the plugs are a VERY easy DIY project you could do for peanuts compared to what the dealer wants).
  • Options
    bsmart1bsmart1 Member Posts: 377
    be a good idea to check out your temperature actuated clutch on you radiator fan. I had a similar problem with my 97' and it proved to the the clutch was bad. A slipping clutch will prevent the fan from turning as fast as it ought, and the radiator will overheat.
  • Options
    bsmart1bsmart1 Member Posts: 377
    376 miles on 20 gal. = about 18.5 mpg Come on now are you sure that was 50/50 highway city mileage? Thats unheard of! I did get 21 mpg on the highway in my 2001 2 wheel drive automatic at about 70 mph. Sounds like these 2001 models were built right!
  • Options
    leedavidyoungleedavidyoung Member Posts: 102
    Mike,

I'm curious if you considering a dual battery set up.

Lee
  • Options
    Although I'll probably just run the car when I run the inverter. Currently I have an older boat battery in the back that I use for the boat winch. What I'm thinking of doing is mounting that one back there on a more permenant basis, then putting in an A/B switch (like they have on boats) so that I can run the aux items off that battery and isolate the car system from it when using impact wrenches and winches. I'm thinking I'd need to get a kit from summit racing or something to re-locate the battery to the rear.

-mike
  • Options
    I am finally titled over and legal except for the emmissions sticker which I will get while at the shop for fluid changes and most of the 30K maintenance.
    MPG was highway until the needle was at half, miles at indicated half tank level are 230 miles or so, then around town short 10 minute trips and even at idle several times for 20 minutes each.
    If I were wanting extra battery capacity for occational use I would go to a larger battery such as the AGM 105AH LifeLine deep cycle battery from Concord, it has 1100 CCA IIRC, and 105AH is about twice the juice of a regular car battery. The 105AH AGM batery weighs around 70lb, but is normal car battery size except about 2 inched longer, It would fit with at most a battery tray adjustment. Note: AGM starting batteries can withstand deep cycling much better than old "bucket-of-acid" style batteries. The Optima Starting battery is rated for 50 deep cycles.
    Fluids: I am going to use all RedLineOil for transfer case, tranmission, axles, and power steering, but what fluids are best for coolant and brake fluid?
  • Options
    I'd use a 50/50 mixture of water and antifreeze, prestone. Then add a container of redline water wetter.

For brake fluid I've been using the valvoline syntec semi-synthetic dot3/dot4.

Also had good luck with the yellow containers of Delphi DOT 5.1 fluid.

-mike
  • Options
    djweberdjweber Member Posts: 18
    Just back from 1600+ road trip w/ '99...2 adults, two kids and one large dog and loaded with rooftop carrier....averaged 14.5 mpg...13.5 to 16.5 mpg range at high 60s to low 70s mph mostly. Details on rack, carrier, new shocks and tires to follow.
  • Options
    kobokokoboko Member Posts: 34
    My 2001 Trooper is up for its 15K service. The maintenance schedule calls for 1) Front & rear axle oil change, 2) Transfer case oil change plus the usual tire rotation, inspections, etc. Is this all that I need to do? Do I have to take it to the dealer or can i have a place like Firestone do it (where i usually take my other car). Helpful tips would be welcome. BTW, dealer wants around $275 and Firestone $200. Thanks!
  • Options
    Any decent shop should easily be able to do the service.

At a minimum I would also swap out the antifreeze. If you want to baby your AT, assuming you have one, you may also want to have them do a fluid swap on it. Same for the brake fluid.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
  • Options
    pactrooperpactrooper Member Posts: 2
    Hello everyone. Owner of 97 S Trooper with 56K and having a problem with intermitant hard up and down shifting on auto trans at start up. If I shut the car off for a few minutes and start it again, it will shift fine. Looking for any ideals. Dealer service cound not find anything wrong. All scheduled service done at dealer.
    Thanks
  • Options
    savvas_esavvas_e Member Posts: 347
    Hi pactrooper....Mine did exactly the same thing. Couldn't trace it. However, check your brake light bulbs and fuses.

At the time, mine had a blown brake light bulb. Paisan on this forum had the same thing with his and it turned out to be a brake light fuse.
  • Options
    pactrooperpactrooper Member Posts: 2
    Sawas_e,
    I did check the brake lights and they work fine. I will check the other electrical items though. I saw a post on another site mentioning hard shifting happening on a Rodeo and cause was altenator voltage spikes. Other than this problem the Trooper has been the best car I ever had.
  • Options
    lcostantinolcostantino Member Posts: 21
    My first suv/Trooper/Isuzu experience - $2500 for a 1990 with a rebuilt engine, 4cyl/4 speed manual. It's running great, anything I should look out for? Thanks!
  • Options
    cobbocobbo Member Posts: 34
    Aloha again ya'll...
    Just figured I'd drop a quick line to let you know that I dropped T-3 (my 2001 Trooper LTD 4WD) off for his 60k service this am....only at 59k right now, but brought him in early b/c he was lunging at lights - sit there w/the brake on and he'd kick up to 2k rpm....which makes for an interesting drive to work...

Anyway, initial estimate is $450 for the 60k service, but I held off on doing the timing belt which would've been another $380...will let ya'll know how it goes...
    -Cobbo
  • Options
    Timing belt change interval on my 99 is 75K. An 01 should be at least that or more...60K is too early IMO.
  • Options
    savvas_esavvas_e Member Posts: 347
    Guys...for those that are interested, the Holden Frontera (Isuzu Rodeo) has been removed from the market. I'm guessing this is because Holden is about to release it's new crossover vehicle and they probably felt one would impact the other in the marketplace.

Here's the announcement on the new Holden Adventra - http://www.holden.com.au/www-holden/action/news?categoryID=5&- articleID=895

Holden Jackaroo (Isuzu Trooper) is still there, now being built by Isuzu plants in Thailand and the Phillipines.
  • Options
    Your Trooper should give you many years of great service. I can only think of two issues with that era vehicle. First, the valves need to be routinely adjusted. Second, some vehicles tend to have head gasket/head warping problems. Thus, you need to keep your cooling system in good shape.
  • Options
    I just looked up all the oils to replace on my new to me 2001 Trooper-S 5-Speed. My own mini 30K maintenance:
    replace fluids:
    Brake Fluid
    Rear Diff 80W140 Redline
    Front Diff 75W90 RedLine
    Transmission MTL RedLine
    Transfer Case MTL RedLine
    Power Steering High Temp ATF RedLine
    Engine Oil 10W30 Valvoline Synpower
    Coolant with Water Wetter RedLine
    Then do the 1st time in this state Emissions Test.
    Check front wheel bearings, if loose repack, if not leave them alone.
  • Options
    zuuluverzuuluver Member Posts: 2
    It is a 1985 2 door trooper2 with the 1.9 4 cylinder. Since this is my first trooper (second Isuzu) I've owned any warnings/advice would be appreciated, first can anyone tell me if the 85 1.9 is an ohc engine? I'm going to have to rebuild it due to the previous owners abuse.
    Thanks in advance
  • Options
    serranoserrano Member Posts: 107
    Boxtrooper - my understanding of Redline Water Wetter is that it is used by racers, etc, who run pure water in the cooling system because it reduces the surface tension of the water and permits it to better conduct the heat away, as well as provide some corrosion resistance to metals that contact the pure water. Not sure you really need it if you're using the recommended 50/50 coolant/water mix.

Of course, the decision is yours.

Tom
  • Options
    jrr2kjrr2k Member Posts: 35
    I took a recent trip to the local Isuzu dealership and talked with them about the companys future. They were upbeat about the next few years of Isuzu USA models.
    They are anxiouxly awaiting the arrival of the GDI (direct injection) Axiom. (Me too!)
    Here's some info:
    http://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.jp/inter/technology/GDI/page2.htm- - l
    This lower-MPG, higher-horsepower engine technology will also be an option on the 2004 Rodeo.
    The Isuzu dealer also mentioned the proposed 7 passenger, 3rd row seating SUV due out in 2006. It will also have the GDI V6 and I was told it will essentialy be an import of Thailand's "Panther". Whatever they call it, it will fill the gap left by the Trooper.
    Panther info:
    http://www.isuzu.co.jp/world/product/suv/panther.html
    Other encouraging Isuzu gossip is this article which shows that Isuzu USA won't go away without a fight.
    http://waw.wardsauto.com/ar/auto_isuzus_turnaround/index.htm
    Cool stuff!
  • Options
    the coolant's ability to carry away heat in any car is better with less antifreeze. The antifreeze keeps the coolant from boiling, but reduces its heat carrying capacity. The max cooling with water wetter is with just water, but the effect is still there with the antifreeze, just in a reduced way. They have a lot to say on this topic on many web sites. check out what http://www.redlineoil.com has to say, then search some others for a broader picture.
  • Options
    I had a 1.9L 1984. Drove it 201K miles without any engine problems.
    Mine had overhead cam and rockers with manual adjusters to limit the ticking, mine never had the ticking, I checked the clearance a couple times anyway to make sure it was OK.
    A friend of mine back then, had an older Chevy LUV truck with the same 1.9L engine. He rebuilt his heads only and the engine ran like new, he was amazd how nice it ran.
    My 1.9L had crankcase pressure after all those miles. Once I left the oil fill cap off, and the oil mist shot up and coated the open hood.
    My 1984 had a manual 4-speed transmission. It was the best shifting car I have ever shifted.
    I bought mine new with an extended engine warrantee because I thought there was no way the little 1.9L would hold up to pulling the 3000 lb. Trooper all over the place.
    I once when new tried to start the engine when it was already running, it was that quiet.
    Things that wore out: the water pump got a slow drip after only 140K miles, so I changed the belts forthe first time even though they looked fine. Later the alternator stopped having high enough output, so I put in a rebuilt one. The under carburator throttle plate developed enlarged holes where the shaft went through, I put on a new throttle plate.
    Oil consumption: At first none. Later after 30K miles 1qt. in a 3000 mile oil change. Toward 200K miles 1qt. in 1000 miles.
    Despite the little engine, the 1984 Trooper felt rel peppy, kind of eager to go. Off road it took me everywhere I wanted to go. I probably put several thousand mile off road on that Trooper all over the western USA. The feel off road was like a tightly suspended bicycle, light and happy to go not heavy and slogging like some cushy SUVs.
    I drove it to Alaska once. I put 6000 miles on it in 2 weeks. The windshield got lots of chips, but the PVC and screen over 1/2" square chicken wire "brush guard" I made for it and painted to match the unpainted bumper worked great.
    Top speed down hill with a tail wind and several minutes to build up to it was just beyond the speedometer's peg of 85 mph. I did that twice both times while passing.
    I had it up to the doors in mud/sand/edge of a drop off into a lake and the tires were already deflated for traction, I had so much traction at the tires that I could not turn them at all, the clutch started to smoke, so I traded ice water in the desert for help from a guy with a big GM Blazer at noon, after going door to door 25 miles away asking to borrow more chains etc.. my 1984 Trooper was agian free. Stuck at noon, working hard on it until midnight, then I drove 4 hours to sleep in a barn on top of peach boxes.
    THat's enough wonderful memories from a trusty old Trooper to hold you for now. Sorry for the long post for those of you who like them short.